Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: April 23, 2004
8.9
Universal acclaim based on 321 Ratings
Watch Now
EpicLadySpongeJun 29, 2016
Man on Fire isn't the best Denzel Washington movie I've ever seen, but it does give that guy an effort for at least trying. Watch if you want, but don't expect much anyways.
SolifugaeJun 25, 2016
This film is awful, truly terrible. It uses every cinematic gimmick known to man which only serves to make the film even worse. Plus corny, melodramatic ham acting. All these reviews gush about it because it isn't PC to be critical of aThis film is awful, truly terrible. It uses every cinematic gimmick known to man which only serves to make the film even worse. Plus corny, melodramatic ham acting. All these reviews gush about it because it isn't PC to be critical of a film with Washington in it. But it sucks. Expand
YorkManApr 12, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Capable action/thriller based on the 1980 novel of the same name which was originally given a film treatment in 1987.
Denzel Washington stars as John Creasy, a washed up and out of work, ex-military specialist whose background is somewhat shrouded in mystery. A borderline alcoholic, he approaches an old army buddy Paul Rayburn (Christopher Walken) who suggests he tout himself as a bodyguard in Mexico via his security firm. Creasy is reluctant, but understands he doesn't have any other real options for employment.
Creasy is taken on the Ramos family. Husband Samuel (Marc Anthony), wife Lisa (Radha Mitchell) and their 9 year old daughter Guadalupe 'Pita' (Dakota Fanning).

Creasy struggles to find his place, having led a solitary life for so long and having also fought against suicidal thoughts. His drinking and overt recklessness causes Samuel and Lisa to question their choice of hiring him. However, because his job is bodyguard to Pita, Creasy finds himself becoming more and more like a surrogate father, especially as Samuel is away a lot of the time on business. This manifests itself not just with the strengthening bond between Pita and himself, but Lisa (seeing that bond growing) begins to develop romantic feelings for Creasy that lead to an awkward moment where she makes a pass at him.

Creasy begins to rediscover his own soul through Pita's unwavering belief in him, but also through helping Pita overcome the fears and anxieties she has within her own life.
This culminates in Pita winning a swimming competition due to Creasy's training methods, which help Pita to understand her shortcomings, but also that improvement comes from dedication to achieving goals.

Creasy takes Pita to meet Paul and his Mexican wife, sharing stories and enjoying the moment. Pita gives Creasy a necklace with an image of St. Jude, the Patron Saint of Lost Causes, as she explains it to him.
However, throughout this narrative, during the various car journeys that Creasy and Pita have had to take, there's been suspicious activity from a group of men in a white car, a car which Creasy and Pita have made a point of noticing.

Things come to a head when, after a music lesson, Pita is abducted off the streets by a group of armed men, seemingly aided by the Police who had cordoned off the street at both ends. This is confirmed when two of the men Creasy takes out in the ensuing shoot-out are identified as cops.
Creasy ends up being looked after in an animal hospital, now a wanted fugitive and cop killer. Paul arrives and explains that the abductors have demanded a $10 million dollar ransom, and Samuel will pay this from the insurance money he'll receive.
Things don't quite go according to plan however, and Paul returns a few days later to announce that someone ambushed the 'drop'. More bullets and more death, except this time one of the victims was a close relative of the leader of the abductors... With the money stolen, and a death of a family member, the abductors announce they've killed Pita as a warning to others who might try to rip them off in the future.

Creasy takes it upon himself to seek revenge. With the help of Mariana Guerrero (Rachel Ticotin), a local reporter, he tracks down one of the men responsible after finding Pita had noted down the license plate of the white car in her journal.
Mariana uses her sexual relationship with local AFI officer Miguel Manzano (Giancarlo Giannini) to obtain the information Creasy needs, but also to make sure that Creasy gets a fair run at the bad guys without any interference.
It's revealed, by Paul in a short conversation with Miguel, that Creasy is not a man to mess around with. That the people who abducted Pita, and anyone else involved via association, will undoubtedly end up dead. Paul explains that Creasy will deliver more 'justice' in a couple of days than the corrupt judicial/political/policing system could in 10 years......

Man on Fire is a good, solid thriller. But it's let down by several things.

For every good acting performance (Washington, Fanning and Walken are all phenomenal), there's a mediocre to just plain terrible one (Mitchell, in particular, is completely unbelievable in her role).
Beyond that there's the camerawork. Like a lot of action films shot during the immediate aftermath of The Matrix trilogy, there's an almost insane amount of 'shaky-cam'. I know it's supposed to give the impression of something being filmed 'live action', but it makes certain scenes in the film unintentionally nauseating.
Add to this a running time of nearly 2 and a half hours(!!), which is at least 45 minutes too long, and you've got a bloated film that sags immensely during the 'set up', but it is (just about) paid off by Washington going into full on Grim Reaper mode!

Ultimately, it's one of those films which has some truly great moments, moments people talk about during film discussions down at the pub. But overall, it's nothing that special.

Hence the rating of 6 out of 10.
TrackerDeviceNov 2, 2015
Truly an underrated movie, Man on Fire is great movie that is loved by fans but not so much by critics. Even thought the editing of Man on Fire looks odd, this movie does such a great job with the chemistry between Denizel Washington andTruly an underrated movie, Man on Fire is great movie that is loved by fans but not so much by critics. Even thought the editing of Man on Fire looks odd, this movie does such a great job with the chemistry between Denizel Washington and Dakota Fanning and characterizing Washington's character. Expand
CineAutoctonoJul 25, 2015
Should give a little contribution , knowing that Denzel Washington Dakota Fanning nanny is not fair , but it was a good movie plot , criticism is a fickle mother.
Bjorno2112Jun 27, 2015
Denzel Washington & Dakota Fanning display an amazing performance, from the beginning to the end. The music fits the atmosphere, the dialogue can make you cringe, and or feel sorrow for the main characters. P.S -critics are stupid.
notlawMar 21, 2015
AWESOME movie this one has abit of age now but is still one of my favourite movies, Washington and Fanning do a fantastic job and it has a great story.
Mosh603Nov 24, 2014
Man on Fire is a pretty basic revenge tale, although I enjoyed the movie. I felt as if the movie did a good job at building the relationship between the two main characters, and took the needed time to do it. My largest complaint about theMan on Fire is a pretty basic revenge tale, although I enjoyed the movie. I felt as if the movie did a good job at building the relationship between the two main characters, and took the needed time to do it. My largest complaint about the movie is that it utilizes too many frame-effects for crucial scenes. The director was trying too hard to be artsy. Although the effects fit in certain scenes, it was over done.

Plot: 7.5/10
Acting/Cast: 8/10
Script/Dialogue: 8/10
Visual Effects: 6/10
Soundtrack: 10/10
Themes: 8/10

Overall, I would recommend this movie. It is worth a watch.
lukechristianscSep 26, 2014
" Denzel Washington's performance is Action pack , fun the best film in his career ". It's obviously that Washington is the legend of acting in all of his films which critics like it or not. I love it when Denzel is in one of his dramatic" Denzel Washington's performance is Action pack , fun the best film in his career ". It's obviously that Washington is the legend of acting in all of his films which critics like it or not. I love it when Denzel is in one of his dramatic action pack thriller's Training Day , The Equalizer , Inside man , american gangsters , and Flight. Also good directing from Tony Scott. Denzel Washington made it happen and director Tony scott made it happen to. Grade A+ Expand
AGarcia732Dec 8, 2013
Gritty, violent, and action-packed, Man On Fire showcases Denzel Washington's acting talent. Maybe it was a bit too violent, but it's an R-movie.

The acting and cinematography was great. Reminds me of Taken.
SpangleNov 30, 2013
As always, Denzel Washington delivers, but where this movie fails is in the direction. The jarring effects shown at times is a major turn off and leaves the viewer wondering if it is worth it to go on. However, for an action movie, it isAs always, Denzel Washington delivers, but where this movie fails is in the direction. The jarring effects shown at times is a major turn off and leaves the viewer wondering if it is worth it to go on. However, for an action movie, it is pretty good and provides some good thrills and suspense along the way. Sure, it's not a cinematic masterpiece, but it's still entertaining and overly criticized by the critics. Expand
ReviewGuyXOct 6, 2013
Another master-class movie with Denzel Washington as the movie's biggest highlight. He plays as Crease,
a skilled combatant entrusted with the task to protect a little girl; Pita. He is a force that should be feared; especially when you don't give him answers.

It's clear that most professional critics are cynical They see a man sadistically brutalising kidnappers for answers; I see a man doing the right thing. Those people were criminals. Plus, if you were smart, you would realise that not once did he take pleasure in torturing his targets. In fact, he was more hesitant in doing so. He merely took the measures that were required. If someone you cared for; Pita in this instance, was taken away by these sick bastards, would you just try to talk to them for information? Treat them nicely? Don't kid yourself, I'm sure you would result in brutality out of desperation.

In saying that, Man On Fire is an excellent movie for its dramatic depth and moral.
LansdenrsMay 17, 2013
This truly is one of the most touching and best movies of all time!
Denzel does a great job along with the rest of the cast. This movie made me ball. Lisa Gerrard does a excellent job with the music!

I love this movie
MrThehammer171May 16, 2013
an amazing movie that critics under rate dont listen to them giving it average it was perfect buy this movie on blu ray you and see what you think ok
GHopp8May 15, 2013
An amazing performance from Denzel Washington makes what would have been an all right movie, into a movie that will be memorable for time to come. This amazing true story of a mans love and retribution inspire and entertain to the end.
oliver1hApr 2, 2013
Beside the annoying editing and shaky-camera effect, Mr. Denzel's portrayal of a tormented man seeking revenge make this a worth watch.
Tss5078Feb 24, 2013
This was a good story, and they could have done so much more with it. I found this movie to be quite slow and boring. The character development is terrible, a lot of the acting is poor, and the cinematography, just makes things that much moreThis was a good story, and they could have done so much more with it. I found this movie to be quite slow and boring. The character development is terrible, a lot of the acting is poor, and the cinematography, just makes things that much more confusing. I love Denzel Washington and when he teams with Tony Scott, it's usually magic, but they missed the mark in a big way on this one. Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
Featuring a moving performance from both Washington and Fanning, "Man On Fire" proves to be a frenetic, violent, and engraining experience.
TokyochuchuAug 21, 2012
John W. Creasy's masterpiece may well be death but Tony Scott's masterpiece is Man on Fire. This is a movie that makes you so upset and furious with the villains that you want to start smashing things. Then it unleashes a growling DenzelJohn W. Creasy's masterpiece may well be death but Tony Scott's masterpiece is Man on Fire. This is a movie that makes you so upset and furious with the villains that you want to start smashing things. Then it unleashes a growling Denzel Washington to do just that. I can't think of any other movie that uses extreme violence as a tool for such deep catharsis. That actually sounds impossible but Man on Fire is so well constructed that every bullet fired makes you want to shed another tear. Absolutely perfect. Expand
nomad4lifeOct 16, 2011
This has become one of my favouite movies of all time. From the great soundtrack, the awesome cinematography/editing and the performances of the actors this film ticks all the boxes. Dakota Fanning is unbelievably good for her age and DenzelThis has become one of my favouite movies of all time. From the great soundtrack, the awesome cinematography/editing and the performances of the actors this film ticks all the boxes. Dakota Fanning is unbelievably good for her age and Denzel lives up to his usual standard. The first half of the film is quite slow but it is required in order to create the backstory of the Creasey/Peta relationship. Once the action kicks in the film really takes off. If I had one criticism, which I'm finding hard, it's that the film could be more violent. The first act of revenge is the most violent so after that it's a bit of a letdown. The ending could have you in tears. Expand
grandpajoe6191Sep 19, 2011
Powered with beautifully frenzied cinematography and poignant performances by Fanning and Washington, "Man on Fire" is a unstoppable train advancing to the audience with mighty, brazen force.
mbrowndJul 15, 2011
Very surprised that the critics gave such low reviews for a classic Denzel film. Saw this a couple of weeks ago for the first time, was shocked I missed this. Great plot and always nervous of what will happen next.
DavidWMay 4, 2009
This is one of my top 10 favorite movies in the last 10 years. I am a pretty harsh judge of movies too. The only flaw that I can see with this movie is that it is drastically overstylized but I dont have too much of a problem with it. The This is one of my top 10 favorite movies in the last 10 years. I am a pretty harsh judge of movies too. The only flaw that I can see with this movie is that it is drastically overstylized but I dont have too much of a problem with it. The action is great, the suspense is great, the acting is very good. It has all the makings of a good action movie and makes me tingle every time I watch it because of the strong emotions in the movie. Denzel delievers a performance of a life time playing a burned-out ex-FBI agent. If I was going to watch an action movie with some substance I would definitely choose this one 8.6/10 The visuals are funky but they fit with the overly stylized music and plot. Expand
ChrisSMar 31, 2009
This movie was way better than the critics gave it credit for! I think they are simply jealous of Tony Scott.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
jaydDec 20, 2008
Forget what the critics say, there profession is over-rated anyway becides there all a bunch of fat people with a few posh words. This movie is great to watch for a night in, unique, emotional, and realisticly, maybe.........probably true, Forget what the critics say, there profession is over-rated anyway becides there all a bunch of fat people with a few posh words. This movie is great to watch for a night in, unique, emotional, and realisticly, maybe.........probably true, meaning the methods of interrogation outside the law. My opinion along with everyone i know who has seen this movie, " I regret that movie critics should professionally exist! " :D 9/10 - high recommended. Expand
JayH.Jan 20, 2008
One of Denzel Washington's greatest films. Second only to American Gangster and perhaps Training Day.
2 of 2 users found this helpful
JonathanD.Jan 1, 2008
This movie is absolutely perfect the art direction is the best ive ever seen, the acting is top notch and this is one of the most emotionally engrossing movie ive ever seen... i rarely get upset at a movie and this movie i was almost in This movie is absolutely perfect the art direction is the best ive ever seen, the acting is top notch and this is one of the most emotionally engrossing movie ive ever seen... i rarely get upset at a movie and this movie i was almost in tears at the end. Critics really did miss the boat... the only downfall was the length... but i cant find a scene to take out so i think the length was necessary. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
AngelH.Jul 19, 2007
I cannot believe some of the scores from the professional reviewers. Were they watching the same film! Okay the film has some flaws but was always watchable and had another very good performance from Denzel Washington and Dakota Fanning who I cannot believe some of the scores from the professional reviewers. Were they watching the same film! Okay the film has some flaws but was always watchable and had another very good performance from Denzel Washington and Dakota Fanning who is turning into an excellent actress. Some of the revenge killings may have seemed a little over the top and I'm not a great lover of Mr Scotts visual trickery which IMO derailed the middle segment of the film. However I cared about the characters and the relationship between Denzel seeking redemption and Dakota bringing a little light into his soul is very believable. The anger that he feels at the turn of events is and how he reacts because of his past as the only way he knows how. Altogether its an interesting blend of violence, emotion, humanity and also very heartwarming in places. It might not be a masterpiece but it was an excellent way to spend a couple of hours. Expand
ChadS.May 11, 2007
This movie is one of my favorites. Tony Scott is a good director, who has an extremely large amount of potential, and while Man on Fire shows off his skills, i still feel Scoott hasn't quite made his masterpiece. Excellent movie, highly This movie is one of my favorites. Tony Scott is a good director, who has an extremely large amount of potential, and while Man on Fire shows off his skills, i still feel Scoott hasn't quite made his masterpiece. Excellent movie, highly reccommend it to anyone. Expect more, and better, from Tony Scott...just not Deja Vu. Expand
ARAug 31, 2006
A feell good film with a twist! Senzel Washington shows just how diverse he can be, great!
DavidZ.Aug 14, 2006
Very good film -- the critics missed the boat, perhaps because revenge movies are not PC.
kwApr 12, 2006
Looking past the oddities of the editing (especially the subtitles) is easy enough when you see Washington do what he does with this great characer in this pic. People who cannot wrap themselves up in what Creasy is going through are not Looking past the oddities of the editing (especially the subtitles) is easy enough when you see Washington do what he does with this great characer in this pic. People who cannot wrap themselves up in what Creasy is going through are not strong enough to really look at their lives; how they are making decisions that may cause God not to forgive them almost daily. Sure, it's not pleasant to think about, but we are all men on fire at times. When you are crossed and know there is only one way to set things right, will you have the courage to do it? If you don't like this movie, the answer is no. Go lay back on the couch, have another Tums, and call your mommy. This film makes us ask ourselves a lot of questions like this, and the gutless need not apply. . Expand
R.DalviMar 23, 2006
Good film. Entertains and don't look for logic. Also is not that violent. Dakota Fanning and Denzel rock.
SteveP.Feb 10, 2006
OK the acting was alright, the script, naaa, the story was not origanal. but this is the frist time i will give a film a 10 out of 10 because of the way it was shot. THIS MOVIE IS EYE CANDY. the use of color filters really fits the mood of OK the acting was alright, the script, naaa, the story was not origanal. but this is the frist time i will give a film a 10 out of 10 because of the way it was shot. THIS MOVIE IS EYE CANDY. the use of color filters really fits the mood of every seen, they way to light shines in your face, it's overwelming and Beautiful. even the subtitle were cool. yah that's right subtitles, instead of running along the bottom they pop up in ranbom spots. the directory of photogerphy for this film should be concidered an artist. if only all films were shot this way. Expand
ZackL.Jan 20, 2006
An amazing acheivement by Tony Scott. I dont know how in hell Man on Fire got a 47 average on metacritic, but I completely disagree. I am normally a hard reviewer, but this movie just blew me away. The presentation, the story, the visuals, An amazing acheivement by Tony Scott. I dont know how in hell Man on Fire got a 47 average on metacritic, but I completely disagree. I am normally a hard reviewer, but this movie just blew me away. The presentation, the story, the visuals, the acting, you name it... This is destined to be a classic Revenge movie. It's just that good! Expand
[Anonymous]Nov 28, 2005
One half good redemption drama, one half SWEET epic revenge, and a touch of true, sacrificial heroism. 47? This movie could go for an oscar.
RichD.Sep 3, 2005
I like movies that are unapologetically what they are supposed to be, and this is an anti-hero action movie done well. Denzel is a bad??? with a heart of gold reopened by a charming Dakota Fanning, and, when the inevitable kidnapping occurs, I like movies that are unapologetically what they are supposed to be, and this is an anti-hero action movie done well. Denzel is a bad??? with a heart of gold reopened by a charming Dakota Fanning, and, when the inevitable kidnapping occurs, Denzel does exactly what you'd hope he would - rips Mexico City apart. Expand