Manakamana

5.4

1. Nov 2, 2014
    Little replay value here, but, upon first viewing, Manakamana makes for a trance-inducing, indescribably moving and undeniably human documentary. I don't want to spoil the premise, but lets just say that a vast majority of people will hate this film and probably dip out 5-10 minutes in. I don't blame them. It is not for everyone. Patient viewers will find themselves in rapture for what isLittle replay value here, but, upon first viewing, Manakamana makes for a trance-inducing, indescribably moving and undeniably human documentary. I don't want to spoil the premise, but lets just say that a vast majority of people will hate this film and probably dip out 5-10 minutes in. I don't blame them. It is not for everyone. Patient viewers will find themselves in rapture for what is easily my favorite documentary of 2014 so far. This film pushes the boundaries of what we can consider a 'narrative'. The movie preys on our socially analytical nature as observers, voyeurs more like it. I dare you to sit through the whole film. Don't see it with friends or other people. You may be influenced to make distracting conversation. Engage this in your own quiet way and test yourself to see how far you can go without a break. My eyes were glued to the screen. I didn't look away once. Expand
  2. Apr 18, 2014
    Pretty neat concept. Made me think of James Benning in a cable car. If you like his films, you will most definitely like this one. Bring your coffee!!!

1. Reviewed by: Ben Nicholson
    Jan 8, 2015
    It’s meditative, beautiful, utterly fascinating, and one of the year’s finest documentary achievements.
  2. Reviewed by: Kenneth Turan
    Jun 26, 2014
    Observational with a vengeance, more an art piece than a conventional motion picture, Manakamana is simple in conception, but the reactions it evokes in viewers will be complex and multifaceted.
  3. Reviewed by: Bill Stamets
    Jun 4, 2014
    Despite our narrow angle on Nepal, Manakamana peers into lives at close range.