8.0

1. Sep 1, 2012
    This really is an astonishing documentary that captures a breathtaking journey of the lives of a beautiful creature, the emperor penguins. Such a genuinely told story.
  2. Mar 3, 2012
    Actually makes nature's lamest animal seem interesting.
  3. Jan 9, 2012
    Maybe if I were a nature-fan, or a bird-fan, or more preferably, a penguin-fan, I would have enjoyed this film. The way things are, I just did not find it all that amazing. Ok. I was just ok. All white all the time. And the little penguins. They're cute. And all. And it's Morgan Freeman. We get it. Ah. Maybe it's Freeman, we've had too much of him narrating lately. Either way, it just did not do anything for me. It was alright, but I felt bored by the film since, well, I do not care about the poor penguins. There have been way better documentaries than this - thank god! Expand
  4. Dec 24, 2011
    Nature is perfection and when you believe everything you see, some emperor penguins come and completely change my perception and feelings.

It's a splendid story, incorrectly judged with Animal Planet's episode, which presents the cycle of survival of those species in the most inhospitable place in the world. Threatened by hunger, cold and predators (leopard seals and gulls), the
    monogamous penguins must preserve the ancient cycle of the species, as reflected in the birth of new offspring and the search for food.

It is a piece of art, proving that a story can make a difference (the voice of Morgan Freeman) or curious fiction concepts that mingle easily in the documentary (in case the French dubbing with human voices voicing penguins).
  5. Jul 16, 2011
    What a wonderful film! It's hard to believe that they were able to get such good footage of all of the activity - and the story of the hardships these birds go through each year to reproduce is utterly riveting.
  6. Mar 1, 2011
    This really is a great movie for the family. I was really surprised as to how good this movie was. It was a tad preachy but it really was necessary for the story line so it did not get in the way. How the humans were filmed, without animation, was brilliant. It was short and captivating.

1. Luc Jacquet's exquisitely shot eye-of-God study of a year in the lives of these distinctive birds is a nature film built with a feel for the epic and a love of operatic narrative.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Jacquet's movie is as visually ravishing as "Winged Migration," and more gripping.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    Sometimes harrowing, sometimes hokey, sometimes heartwarming nature documentary.