Million Dollar Baby

Feb 3, 2005
    Outstanding!!
  2. RoyceF.
    Feb 3, 2005
    The best film of the year very intense came out of the theater feeling like I just went 10 rounds.
  3. KevinT.
    Feb 4, 2005
    A little overrated. A good movie, but outside of Hilary Swank (who is terrific) I don't see a whole lot that impresses me. Eastwood's directing has countless flaws, the cinematography is horrendous, and Eastwood's musical score leaves a lot to be desired. No wonder this movie didn't cost a whole lot to make. Eastwood used half of the budget to pay the movie critics. A little overrated. A good movie, but outside of Hilary Swank (who is terrific) I don't see a whole lot that impresses me. Eastwood's directing has countless flaws, the cinematography is horrendous, and Eastwood's musical score leaves a lot to be desired. No wonder this movie didn't cost a whole lot to make. Eastwood used half of the budget to pay the movie critics. This is NOT a "great" movie. Good, but not great. Expand
  4. patriciam.
    Feb 4, 2005
    Acting was wonderful but making the first part a hi 10 and the middle to ending a 0 was so depressing for us. It bothered my husband a lot who has had tragedy in his family and it brought back memories. We didn't like it at all.
  5. MichaelM.
    Feb 4, 2005
    Incredible. Best movie of the last year. Hope it wins the oscar.
  6. vickig.
    Feb 5, 2005
    When the lights came on, I felt that I had just been through an intense emotional workout. This is masterful storytelling, never overdone.
  7. BobH.
    Feb 5, 2005
    I really found the movie extremely depressing. My stomach was in knots. Regardless, the acting, directing and screenplay was tremendous. Therefore, if you are going, thinking this is anotherROCKY type movie better stay home.
  8. M.Walker
    Feb 6, 2005
    I feel like I've seen this story on the screen too many times. It's just predictable. Not as good as Rocky, and not even in the same league as Raging Bull. I like when movies move me emotionally, and I welcome and desire it, but this movie did nothing for me. Hillary Swank was the only bright spot, in my opinion.
  9. AnnT.
    Feb 6, 2005
    Best movies I've seen this year and i don't like boxing!
  10. CharlesM
    Feb 7, 2005
    Hillary Swank is awesome, Clint is right there and Morgan Freeman is solid. A terrific movie, just about perfect.
  11. GimsonR.
    Feb 7, 2005
    This is one of the best movies i've seen in awhile. it's up there with "friday night lights" as one of my favorite dramas with a sports theme. eastwood's acting and direction has aged like a fine wine. he's a classic american actor who delivers a knock-out punch in this film! yes, it is depressing near the end but it seems very true to life given what can easily occur This is one of the best movies i've seen in awhile. it's up there with "friday night lights" as one of my favorite dramas with a sports theme. eastwood's acting and direction has aged like a fine wine. he's a classic american actor who delivers a knock-out punch in this film! yes, it is depressing near the end but it seems very true to life given what can easily occur in this visceral and at times, brutal sport. Expand
  12. ralphm.
    Feb 7, 2005
    As always eastwood is the best.
  13. rhondas.
    Mar 13, 2005
    The most disappointing movie I've ever seen. Sentimental cliches strung together. I was so bored. Why does everyone think this film is so great? What a joke.
  14. SlimJin
    Mar 2, 2005
    Superb storytelling with superb acting, probably why this earned best picture. Enjoy!
  15. DiegoO.
    Mar 20, 2005
    Simply espectacular.
  16. MikeD.
    Mar 3, 2005
    Great movie, great story, but some cliches bring it down from a 10. Don't think it deserved the Oscar, but definitely nomination-worthy.
  17. Amy
    Mar 4, 2005
    [SPOILER...of sorts] A decent movie, but highly (and imcomprehensibly) over-rated. This movie starts out like Rocky and ends up like Terms of Endearment. It would have been a more enjoyable film if Eastwood had chosen one path or the other. It's just not good enough to do both successfully. I can enjoy melodrama and cliches when the movie doesn't take itself so seriously. But [SPOILER...of sorts] A decent movie, but highly (and imcomprehensibly) over-rated. This movie starts out like Rocky and ends up like Terms of Endearment. It would have been a more enjoyable film if Eastwood had chosen one path or the other. It's just not good enough to do both successfully. I can enjoy melodrama and cliches when the movie doesn't take itself so seriously. But Million Dollar Baby aims for high art and high art it ain't. That said, Swank is very good -- and she and her archnemesis ("The Blue Bear") look fabulous! I'd love to have (and be able to afford) their personal trainers. Expand
  18. KeithF
    Mar 6, 2005
    Best movie I've seen in SEVERAL years. (And I don't even like boxing.) Terrific acting all around, ideal casting, and a story that still gets to you long after going home. I love Eastwood movies, and this is his best.
  19. LeeD.
    Mar 6, 2005
    A sharply-made but tired drama that reveals nothing to you though it succeeds in making it look like it should. Not a bad effort, but undeserving of the reviews and awards it's getting.
  20. BitBurn
    Mar 7, 2005
    Another top-notched-Eastwood-directed movie. A very sad ending though but, nonetheless, very touching movie overall. If you liked Unforgiven and Mystic River then you will love this one, pretty sure! ... My Rating: 8.5
  21. SharminiC.
    Apr 22, 2005
    Beautifuuly told story of human nature and life.
  22. LockneO.
    Apr 27, 2005
    Million Dollar Baby is an unbelievable motion picture. It completely deserved the Best Picture Oscar. Hillary Swank's, Clint Eastwood's, and Morgan Freeman's performances were astonishing! Make sure you see this movie.
  23. BlueFalcon
    Apr 3, 2005
    This isn't typically my sort of movie, but I really enjoyed it. I like jeremy's oscar the grouch award idea, but it would more fittingly go to someone who thinks everything is garbage b/c they're a grouch.
  24. SaketR.
    Apr 7, 2005
    Million Dollar Baby is the best serious movie of 2004 hands down. After some mediocre efforts through the late 1990's and very very early 2000's Clint Eastwood has struck back with great elacrity. Mystic River was a superb brooding crime drama and this film is another superb brooding drama. The film boasts brilliant acting from Swank, Freeman and Eastwood himself, its a must see Million Dollar Baby is the best serious movie of 2004 hands down. After some mediocre efforts through the late 1990's and very very early 2000's Clint Eastwood has struck back with great elacrity. Mystic River was a superb brooding crime drama and this film is another superb brooding drama. The film boasts brilliant acting from Swank, Freeman and Eastwood himself, its a must see for any film buff. Expand
  25. jjorisvlaminckx
    May 6, 2005
    Overrated, definitely. Go see Maradentro.
  26. jarredb.
    May 9, 2005
    This movie is definately on to see, for many different reasons for one the acting was great especially for such a low budget film.
  27. AlbertoC.
    Aug 2, 2005
    Way, way overrated. The worst movie I've seen win a Best Picture Oscar. The Everlast promotion is blatant (every single boxer in the movie is wearing the more expensive Everlast gloves, for example). The cheap shots in the boxing matches make the sport look like wrestling, as the ref misses all of them, and they still give the fight to the one who broke the others neck with a sucker Way, way overrated. The worst movie I've seen win a Best Picture Oscar. The Everlast promotion is blatant (every single boxer in the movie is wearing the more expensive Everlast gloves, for example). The cheap shots in the boxing matches make the sport look like wrestling, as the ref misses all of them, and they still give the fight to the one who broke the others neck with a sucker punch! Absurd. It takes away a lot from the second half of the movie. Expand
  28. JimH.
    Aug 29, 2005
    Incredible Movie. Acting first rate.
  29. EduardoR.
    Jan 8, 2006
    A bitter movie, Million Dollar Baby shows, in a direct and merciless way, several aspecets of our miserable cruel lives. If you enjoy seeing the same old predictable stuff on the screen, this is NOT a movie for you.
  30. JustinC.
    Mar 2, 2006
    The actors don't play the characters, they breathe them. The essence of emotion was never better captured by anything in recent cinema.
  31. SofiaD.
    Apr 5, 2006
    It is the best movie I have ever seen. It is sensitive as much as entertaining. I have never seen such a great mix of such deep emotions. It was the first movie that has made me cry.!!! It needs to be good!!!
  32. JohnB.
    Dec 10, 2004
    Eastwood has taken a cliche and turned it into poetry.
  33. Pat
    Dec 9, 2004
    Best Picture 2004 -- Game, Set And Match.
  34. AnneD.
    Jan 11, 2005
    I generally don't like violent films and some of the fight scenes are very brutal. However, this film was more than a boxing film. I think it is the best American film I've seen this past year.
  35. AllenB.
    Jan 10, 2005
    This movie really makes you care about its characters. I can not remember the last time I cared this much about characters on a screen. Humanity is this movies greatest gift.
  36. TeresaW.
    Jan 13, 2005
    This movie has something that many American movies do not achieve ,nor aspire to, character development and plot. Beauty in it's simplicitiy and portrayal yet complex in what it delivers. The direction, the acting, and the script were brilliant. One of the most entertaining, emotionally and cerebrally evocative movies I have ever seen.
  37. JamesH.
    Jan 14, 2005
    Amazing and beautiful.
  38. TonyaR.
    Jan 14, 2005
    When the movie ended, the audience left the theatre quietly...almost reverently. This is one of those movies that tugs at your heartstrings and leaves you deep in thought.
  39. patrickd.
    Oct 15, 2005
    A drama about triumph that triumphs itself. I think I will have a hard time choosing: This or Vertigo?, for my #1 movie.
  40. Shootsy
    Jan 17, 2005
    Hollow script made even worse by the " damn this movie is going nowhere after 1 hour!" syndrome. "...hey let's break her neck! " yeah right...a total bore.
  41. LiamS.
    Jan 18, 2005
    This movie was brilliant. The best movie I have seen in at least 10 years. (I think the last movie of this caliber that I saw was Schindler's List.) The people giving it a negative review need to have their heads (and hearts) examined. Political commentary should be kept out of it. This movie is NOT trying to make any political statements. It is simply trying to be a great film. On This movie was brilliant. The best movie I have seen in at least 10 years. (I think the last movie of this caliber that I saw was Schindler's List.) The people giving it a negative review need to have their heads (and hearts) examined. Political commentary should be kept out of it. This movie is NOT trying to make any political statements. It is simply trying to be a great film. On this level, it succeeds. It is a touching, wonderful, soulful portrayal of a boxer, brought to life by the fabulous, Oscar-worthy performance of Hilary Swank. Hats off to Clint Eastwood. This is a far better movie than Mystic River, and far more intricate and riveting than the also brilliant "Closer" or the "Aviator." It gets my vote for best movie of the year...maybe of the last several years. If you only see one movie this year, see this film. Expand
  42. FredricaC.
    Jan 18, 2005
    I am amazed that few of the reviewers of this film make mention of it's brutality and gore. Not that these elements aren't appropriate to the subject matter. But for the sensitive and (some) squeamish amongst us, this is a disturbingly violent and tragic film. Beyond this, it is a poetic, allegorical and elegiac work.
  43. AdamW.
    Jan 18, 2005
    Eastwood's film is a masterpiece; the best work he has ever done, and the most emotionally involving. Hilary Swank is a marvel.
  44. MarcK.
    Jan 19, 2005
    I've obviously seen a different version of MDB than most of the critics. This film was completely mediocre, and as the Salon critic said, overwrought with cliche piled upon cliche. I think Hilary Swank's performance in "Boys Don't Cry" is among the best I've ever seen in any movie, but why anyone thinks she deserves an Oscar for this is beyond me.
  45. chriss
    Jan 20, 2005
    The best movie of the year hands down. I am not a huge Eastwood fan bnut this was truly a great film. Swank and Freeman were dazzling.
  46. StephenD.
    Jan 21, 2005
    [***SPOILERS***] This movie is marketed as a female version of "Rocky" to get good box office. They're keeping the end a "surprise" because people don't pay 8 dollars or more to see that kind of film. It's grossly inaccurate about what happens with spinal cord injury, and turns on some really lame plot points to make the ending work.
  47. davee
    Jan 20, 2005
    Million dollar baby is a turkey. A lot of boxing (faked) and I'm not even an expert with KO's in the first round. I think Swank is a great actress but does not deserve an Oscar for this film. Maybe a nomination but that's it. What really irritates me the most is the voice over from Morgan Freeman. There is too much of it in this film This is a cheap and badly produce film. Million dollar baby is a turkey. A lot of boxing (faked) and I'm not even an expert with KO's in the first round. I think Swank is a great actress but does not deserve an Oscar for this film. Maybe a nomination but that's it. What really irritates me the most is the voice over from Morgan Freeman. There is too much of it in this film This is a cheap and badly produce film. I am getting tired of film makers like Stone doing the same thing in Aleaxander. It's a cheap device to plug or fill the gaps or holes. Musicians call it a filler. If you can make a screenplay without a voice over you deserve an Oscar. The film makers are doing it to often to make make the film more cohensive. But is is overdone here in this film. Morgan Freeman has a great voice but to do this constantly is tiresome. Look at the film GODFATHER there no voice over in that film. Expand
  48. MarjanS.
    Jan 23, 2005
    I'm in shock over the raves for this film. Emotionally manipulative, predictible, poor writing, trite melodrama - and simply mediocre acting. At best a TV movie - with interesting use of light.
  49. TomC
    Jan 25, 2005
    Nice story, great look, but a bit clunky. The bit where they visit London is a masterpeice of stereotyping. I saw it in Covent Garden and people were laughing.
  50. BriggsM.
    Jan 27, 2005
    Wow! F***! Far Out! I'm hard to please, but this incredible, understated, and powerful piece of work just blew me to Venus!! 9.25
  51. JasonG.
    Jan 28, 2005
    Too bad the film dosen't live up to its hype. It is so overated, it is pathetic. This is a fight movie with all the familiar trappings and Eastwood's final forty minutes is stilted soap opera.
  52. JanetM.
    Jan 28, 2005
    THE AVIATOR blows this movie away! I hope Scorsese beats Eastwood to the Oscar. Million Dollar isn't worth two cents!
  53. VictoriaS
    Jan 29, 2005
    Excellent movie, well acted, excellent script.
  54. DebbieC.
    Jan 29, 2005
    No doubt this is Cllint Eastwood's best picture to date. Should win all Oscars in each catagory it is in. I fell asleep in the Aviator.
  55. cd
    Jan 29, 2005
    Fabulous movie...certainly not the "Rocky" I expected! A MUST SEE!!!!
  56. MariaH.
    Wonderful.
  57. MaryM.
    Jan 31, 2005
    Excellent show, emotional though.
  58. ReneeC.
    Jan 31, 2005
    I saw this movie yesterday and I cannot stop thinking about it! I didn't look at my watch once throughout the viewing! Terrific, definitely a must see!
  59. NickT.
    Jan 30, 2005
    WOAH! What the hell is with all of the extremely low scores? Aviator fans getting their panties in a knot? Anyways, I felt that this movie was very well acted throughout. The cinematography was very moving at parts, most notably the evening scene in the car between Swank and Eastwood. The entire story teller attitude was very well implemented as well. The ending was a bit overwrought, yet WOAH! What the hell is with all of the extremely low scores? Aviator fans getting their panties in a knot? Anyways, I felt that this movie was very well acted throughout. The cinematography was very moving at parts, most notably the evening scene in the car between Swank and Eastwood. The entire story teller attitude was very well implemented as well. The ending was a bit overwrought, yet still very well done and there were times where one could see that lil' ol' Clint was getting a bit over his head. I still enjoyed the movie very much though, and believe that Swank deserves this Oscar. She is a freaking amazing actress. Expand
  60. ThomasS.
    Jan 31, 2005
    The million Dollar Baby worth a million without a doubt. A drama with such a powerful story that makes you love every characters, a well crafted story fashioned with emotions, determination,love in many ways finally undescreptible but magistral. One of the best movie ever made in such a simply loving method to let you learn a little something every chapter of the movie. Clint eastwood has The million Dollar Baby worth a million without a doubt. A drama with such a powerful story that makes you love every characters, a well crafted story fashioned with emotions, determination,love in many ways finally undescreptible but magistral. One of the best movie ever made in such a simply loving method to let you learn a little something every chapter of the movie. Clint eastwood has made something that won't be reached in a while. Expand
  61. BobB.
    Jan 30, 2005
    Great Movie - The best, in my opinion, Eastwood has done. Should sweep the Oscars.
  62. paulj
    Jan 3, 2005
    Best film ever!
  63. NeilM.
    Jan 31, 2005
    Movies that leave the theatre with you - carrying the emotions the director tried to impart on the viewer - are the best kind. Its been 48 hours.. and the mood created by that movie is still with me...
  64. jamesp.
    Jan 31, 2005
    Interminably long drawn out ending.
  65. naghamf
    Absolutely amazing.
  66. PaulF.
    Jan 30, 2005
    Definately one of the better movies out there to see. Swank convinced me of her daughter like love for Easwood's character. Their relationship touched me. Though there is some action in this film it is more of a film about emotions. If you are looking for a movie strictly to be entertained this might not be for you. Freeman was of course perfessionally good in his acting and I Definately one of the better movies out there to see. Swank convinced me of her daughter like love for Easwood's character. Their relationship touched me. Though there is some action in this film it is more of a film about emotions. If you are looking for a movie strictly to be entertained this might not be for you. Freeman was of course perfessionally good in his acting and I enjoyed his more subtle relationship he with Danger. This cleverly mirrored Swanks relationship with Eastwood. It wasn't as deep but eluded to something that it too might bud in the future. If the movie had any flaws it appeared to be in the beginning where the characters were settling into their roles. Also, even though touching and emotionally rich the ending left you a little sad and uncertain with what was to become of Eastwood's character. This is not necessarily a negative but if you are looking for cheer this may not the best movie to see, though it had a few goldern humorous moments . Overall, Kudos for Eastwood and the rest of the gang. A movie well done. Expand
  67. CyntheaL.
    Best movie I have seen in a LONG time !!!! Cut to the core
  68. JD
    Jan 30, 2005
    This movie is a powerful punch in the gut. In the beginning I wondered what all the hype was about; I thought it wouldn't transcend the trappings of a trite boxing movie. Boy was a I wrong. Thanks Mr. Eastwood for again creating a movie as beautifully painful as life.
  69. armandos.
    Jan 30, 2005
    The performances were all excellent-the story a bit formulaic- I thought the characters were a bit too saintly-the movie really turns dark towards the end, but the resolution hit the right note-be sure to bring your hankies. The meaning of life is examined and a bit of philosophy is dispensed by the characters.
  70. Mitz
    Jan 30, 2005
    It blew me away. Excellent all around.
  71. JeffreyH.
    Jan 31, 2005
    This was an incredible movie that was both inspiring and tragic . . . I was very moved by this movie and the 3 main characters . . . there was not a dry eye in the movie theater.
  72. Crash
    Jan 6, 2005
    This is clearly the best movie of the year and should rack up several Oscars. Clint Eastwood's acting and directing are fabulous. Hilary Swank and Morgan Freeman are great too. The movie is so emotionally powerful that it will blow you away. Great story, great message, great acting, great all-around.
  73. TomV.
    Jan 8, 2005
    I'm man enough to admit it. I cried.
  74. Catherine
    Jan 8, 2005
    Tremendously powerful and almost poetically beautiful, which is a surprise considering the gritty subject matter. Swank is enormously touching but the film belongs to Eastwood, whose now almost cadaverous face is capable of expressing so much more than it did in his "handsome" days. Flaws included Swanks almost cartoon-horrible family and some painfully expository dialogue between Tremendously powerful and almost poetically beautiful, which is a surprise considering the gritty subject matter. Swank is enormously touching but the film belongs to Eastwood, whose now almost cadaverous face is capable of expressing so much more than it did in his "handsome" days. Flaws included Swanks almost cartoon-horrible family and some painfully expository dialogue between Eastwood and Freeman along the lines of " Remember all the things we used to do? It's no wonder we're such close friends." And although the father/daughter thing is painted for us almost too vividly, it's still so affecting that you forgive it. Expand
  75. LarryB.
    Feb 1, 2005
    Not only is Million Dollar Baby miserable and contrived, it also manages to take a partisan stance, thanks to Clint Eastwood's always refreshing dose of conservatism (note the sarcasm). If this is the best movie of 2004, I'm never going to watch another movie again.
  76. brianB
    Feb 1, 2005
    A very disappointing and depressing experience. Eastwood is totally unconvincing and very wooden. Here's hoping this is his last movie; there is no need to further taint the memory of the actor he once was. Swank does a good job, but the movie is so manipulative and contrived that the tears are jerked out with a sledgehammer. The actual boxing part of the movie (first half) did have A very disappointing and depressing experience. Eastwood is totally unconvincing and very wooden. Here's hoping this is his last movie; there is no need to further taint the memory of the actor he once was. Swank does a good job, but the movie is so manipulative and contrived that the tears are jerked out with a sledgehammer. The actual boxing part of the movie (first half) did have some appeal, but it fell apart from there. Odd lighting; high school level script; don't bother! Expand
  77. davidw.
    Feb 12, 2005
    This movie has few if any redeeming qualities. Bad writing, simplistic and in-your-face emotions, poor acting (Morgan Freeman played the same role in Shawshank Redemption, and Clint was an older Any Which Way but Loose), superfluous characters (Family adds nothing), characatures instead of characters (Everybody but the three leads) and a thin to non-existent story. Other than that, it was This movie has few if any redeeming qualities. Bad writing, simplistic and in-your-face emotions, poor acting (Morgan Freeman played the same role in Shawshank Redemption, and Clint was an older Any Which Way but Loose), superfluous characters (Family adds nothing), characatures instead of characters (Everybody but the three leads) and a thin to non-existent story. Other than that, it was okay. Oh yeah, it is so bad it makes you not care about the "Big Secret". Expand
  78. John
    Feb 1, 2005
    Best American movie this year, without any doubt. Charles Taylor is a ridiculously, bizarrely, opinionated old man. If he dislikes any movie, it's worth looking at. He hated Dogville too, which is unquestionably the greatest movie of the year - - - with MDB trailing right behind it. I think he needs a new job...
  79. PhilB
    Feb 13, 2005
    The characters were all clichés and bad cliché
  80. GaborA.
    Feb 13, 2005
    An undeniably good movie, even great. Excuse me for not condecending to the level of other critics and coming up with some lame phrase like "knockout performance" or "emotional sucker punch." The most real movie in years.
  81. ChrisS.
    Feb 14, 2005
    "Million Dollar Baby" is a deep film of life and pain. Although at times the characters may seem cliched, Mr. Eastwood's direction (along with his director of photography) is brilliant and makes the writing look even better. The lead portrayals by Ms. Swank and Mr. Eastwood and the excellent supporting job from Mr. Freeman will hopefully roll through the Academy Awards.
  82. RobertK.
    Feb 14, 2005
    This is the best movie I have seen in ten five years. I've seen all the other movies in the Best Picture category of the oscars. Not one of the them comes close to the emotional depth and raw feelings of this movie. I came to this movie, with doubts in its quality, but when it ended I couldn't stop thinking about how amazing it was.
  83. JohnnyW
    Feb 14, 2005
    Fantastic. A wonderful plot and contains one of my all-time favorite one-liners: "There are no demi-gods you f---in' pagan!"
  84. LanieJ
    Feb 14, 2005
    One of the best movies I've seen in years. I was truly impressed by the skillfully intertwined and meaningfully duplicated emotions each character possessed. As you grow to understand another person, you grow to understand yourself.
  85. QLam
    Feb 19, 2005
    Whoever compared this script in the same breath as The Love Boat is a moron. I saw this film in a back to back session with Sideways and while both movies were teffiric, "Baby" left me with more to think and ponder about. More to reflect on and more to joyous about even though the film is ultimately a tragedy. And that is what I think the mark of a great is; it is the ability to endure in Whoever compared this script in the same breath as The Love Boat is a moron. I saw this film in a back to back session with Sideways and while both movies were teffiric, "Baby" left me with more to think and ponder about. More to reflect on and more to joyous about even though the film is ultimately a tragedy. And that is what I think the mark of a great is; it is the ability to endure in your mind and create thought and discussion with yourself. "Baby" is a great film and is an instant classic and proves that Eastwood is at the top of his game and should be (he is still underrated) at the top of every American directors list. Expand
  86. VictorB.
    Feb 19, 2005
    Absolutely flawless!! To all those that say this is overrated I say watch it again-until you get it. The answers are there, all the ones you need. The first thing to understand is the title, when you get it the rest will come in time. I love this type of film, it's one where you won't get everything all at once but the more you watch the more you'll see. I'll be Absolutely flawless!! To all those that say this is overrated I say watch it again-until you get it. The answers are there, all the ones you need. The first thing to understand is the title, when you get it the rest will come in time. I love this type of film, it's one where you won't get everything all at once but the more you watch the more you'll see. I'll be watching this for some time. Expand
  87. RachaelRayA.
    Feb 19, 2005
    [***SPOILERS***] It is sad after watching a girl who describes herself as " Trailor trash from the ozarks ", who wants to be somebody and her dreams is to box. She trains herself year after year, celebrates each bithday by holding on to her dream and trains harder. Clint Eastwood an aged trainer who has lost his big shot at a title starts training . Eastwood pulls us into a world were [***SPOILERS***] It is sad after watching a girl who describes herself as " Trailor trash from the ozarks ", who wants to be somebody and her dreams is to box. She trains herself year after year, celebrates each bithday by holding on to her dream and trains harder. Clint Eastwood an aged trainer who has lost his big shot at a title starts training . Eastwood pulls us into a world were losers get used up, the weak just pretend to be human and we as the audience is manipulated into believing that with hard work, Keep your guard up, fight hard you can overcome any opponient. Frankie fights, she learns from being on the ropes,and knocks out each and every fighter she fights. We care about Frankie and Scrap played with fragility and charm always give us a voice over that tells us that boxing is haunting, boxing is moving your feet and boxing is about winning. Frankie wants to be a winner and she fights and moves and learns to keep here guard up. Scrap gives her advice on style, how to hit and watches as she comes to be a dream come true. Frankie who after fighting local , then bigger matches K.O's every fighter. She gets her shot at the chapionship and we are shown the fighter she will fight is dirty, a streetfighter and from the wrong side of the tracks. This is a match that Frankie has prepared for all her life. She has learned to move her feet, hitting from the right foot then a combination from the left and one two three... count of ten and her punching bag opponent is out. Forty minutes into MILLION DOLLAR BABY Frankie, her dreams and basically the movie are all sucker punched twice and the movie goes down for the count. Now the movie changes from haunting storyline of fight hard and you can make something of yourself to hospital melodrama where everything is taken away piece by piece. Frankie as the tuff street fighter should have side shuffled the Blue Bomber that had sucker punched her one time but twice and landed the stinging blow that both stunned it got the message across we can fight my way or I can fight your way. Frankie was a better fighter, she did not deserve to be waylayed to such a traguc end. Because of Eastwood's emotional manipulation and Scraps voice over we see a haunting beauty that breaks your heart. We care for Frankie and she cannot fight the good fight. So we watch the Million Dollar Baby slowly fade away no more dreams and return back to the boxing gym and Scrap sitting , waiting for the next fighter to walk through the door. Clint Eastwood never to return . He goes somewhere else because he can not live with himself anymore because he has killed his dreams, taken away Frankie's hope for her dream to come true and leaves us with the feeling that you can make mistakes, be sucker punched, knocked down and there is no redemption and no pay backs. We are left sitting shocked that Frankie never got to prove herself. She never got to show she could fight, she could side step and avoid a second sucker punch and one, two; out go the lights. We are left sad that Frankie did not deserve her background and her family and Clint Eastwood's stripped-down emotional rollercoaster that derails and sents every emotion in your body down for the count. It is sad to see someone climb out of a black hole and work really hard in a world that is filled with characters we don't care for, dirty, sweating and very dark world where a fighter can make something out of nothing and by listening to Eastwood, who she calls Boss we are watching her wait for her moment and move in for a quick kill. We are left sad that we did not see her dream come true. Eastwood's metaphor for balance of power, give me pain and I will overcome is not achieved . We watched lost souls fade to black and the lights go out. Frankie , with her power right jab and her combinations cannot fight and is reduced to being knocked out by a sucker punch that never should have connected. Frankie could have taken one punch but the second one would have been blacked and then the fight, her dream, would have been on. Million Dollar Baby is incorrect. A better title would have been ; ON THE ROPES FROM A SUCKER PUNCH , or I AM DOWN FOR THE COUNT. It is sad when you watch every cliche from every boxing movie have each trascend into a dull , dark world where we don't care for any of the characters because everyone fights and loses. In any boxing match you have a winner and a loser. Because we care, Frankie deserved a better fight; She deserved to fight and win. Don't show me persecution, annoyance from persecutors and not show me a balance of redemption. Expand
  88. HW.
    Feb 21, 2005
    I live in Brazil, where the film was released in Feb 2005, and I've already stated that I think it will be one of the best films I will see all year. The characters are rich and, like real people, we never find out enough about them: the movie shows us enough, but keeps us wondering about a whole lot of things. Its purpose is not to give us, the audience, any closure; it's only I live in Brazil, where the film was released in Feb 2005, and I've already stated that I think it will be one of the best films I will see all year. The characters are rich and, like real people, we never find out enough about them: the movie shows us enough, but keeps us wondering about a whole lot of things. Its purpose is not to give us, the audience, any closure; it's only about telling these people's stories. And a wonderful story it is, with wonderful acting and beautiful photography. A modern classic. Expand
  89. SueD.
    Feb 20, 2005
    I really enjoyed the movie since I was able to really feel for Maggie and know exactly how she feels to have her family treat her so badly since I was also treated just like her no matter how hard I tried to win their love after my loving mother had died when I was age 16. I finally gained the love and respect of my family over 24 years later when I made something of myself without any of I really enjoyed the movie since I was able to really feel for Maggie and know exactly how she feels to have her family treat her so badly since I was also treated just like her no matter how hard I tried to win their love after my loving mother had died when I was age 16. I finally gained the love and respect of my family over 24 years later when I made something of myself without any of their financial or emotional help just like Maggie did. I finally was not going to be walked on just like Maggie. I now have friends that have become the family I lacked for so long. I accept my family now for what they are and thank goodness they are trying a bit to be closer but the closeness will never be as close as my real family who are my friends. But poor Maggie didn't have a chance to enjoy that self love and self respect for herself for long since her dreams were shattered by another fighter who plays dirty and against the rules. It just seems unfair that the movie at the end made me cry so much and not sleep last night as I kept feeling that it was so unfair that the movie has to show how in life we can be hurt so bad that we can't recover from those that cheat and are so evil. I know sometimes this is how life really is and it is so unfair but it would have been nice to have more hope.... The movie also touched me though with the love and friendship of two individuals that cared for each other and became the family that both craved without having to have sex come in the way. I loved that about the movie that love does not have to be about sex it can be about the closeness and caring two people feel for one another. But I still wish the movie would have had a happier ending since it has deeply affected me and my work today and I feel like my mother died all over again. Expand
  90. ArthurO.
    Feb 21, 2005
    I thought I was going to see a boxing movie. Instead what I saw was a half-hour snooze at the beginning, some decent action in the middle, and an anti-climatic, non-logical drama at the end. Fantastic cinematic values couldn't save this over-hyped clunker of a movie. When will there be some good movies nominated for an Oscar?
  91. BarbaraS.
    Feb 25, 2005
    Perfect! And I absolutely HATE boxing.
  92. Sean
    Feb 27, 2005
    Perhaps the most hideously contrived movie I've ever seen (only "AI" is in the same league in this regard). The circumstances behind Swank's boxing injury are so preposterous that the whole last act (overwrought to begin with) is rigged to such a degree that it is robbed of any emotional valence. Also, Swank's aw-shucks naiveté and plucky optimism is quickly becoming Perhaps the most hideously contrived movie I've ever seen (only "AI" is in the same league in this regard). The circumstances behind Swank's boxing injury are so preposterous that the whole last act (overwrought to begin with) is rigged to such a degree that it is robbed of any emotional valence. Also, Swank's aw-shucks naiveté and plucky optimism is quickly becoming a tiresome shtick. The fact that the Academy lavishes such tripe with high praise and a plethora of awards is disconcerting to say the least. Expand
  93. BruceR.
    Best picture of 2004.
  94. neddieh.
    Feb 7, 2005
    THIS MOVIE WAS A DELIGHT TO WATCH!!!! it was just so well written i know that i will be buying this movie and watching it over and over!
  95. BruceC.
    Feb 9, 2005
    A mawkish made-for-tv quality, cliche ridden script with some quality acting. It is emotionally powerful in the way an automobile accident is. Its screenwriter's other credits include THE LOVE BOAT, THE FACTS OF LIFE and RETURN OF THE SHAGGY DOG, which gives you an idea of the level of this script.
  96. mitchm.
    Mar 1, 2005
    [***SPOILERS***] Solid and predictable filmmaking. And while any flick that ends with amputations, feeding tubes, and Kevorkian-like mercies, earns my respect, her injury was a little hard to fathom. Plus, her character was impossibly saintly, humble, and sexless. Just like all the other boxers I've come to know.
  97. GregMiller
    Mar 13, 2005
    The thing about boxing movies is there are very few possible endings: either our boxer wins or our boxer loses, with few exceptions, which in my mind excuses some of the cliches here. This movie deserves all the praise it has received: it is wonderfully written, beautifully acted, poignant and sparse, like Mystic River. Eastwood has an eye for great films. Some of the characters areThe thing about boxing movies is there are very few possible endings: either our boxer wins or our boxer loses, with few exceptions, which in my mind excuses some of the cliches here. This movie deserves all the praise it has received: it is wonderfully written, beautifully acted, poignant and sparse, like Mystic River. Eastwood has an eye for great films. Some of the characters are flat, but there does not NEED to be more than three rounded characters in a film, especially this one, so I did not mind Maggie's horrible family: for godssakes, it's incredible that Hollywood has produced a movie with round characters in the first place. And I cannot understand the argument of Eastwood's "politics" that have so offended: this movie, like all good movies, does not argue one way or the other: what is important is that you believe Maggie asked him for it, and that you believe Frankie did it, because it is in the end about the characters involved. Anyone so caught up in the "politics" here has mistaken this drama for something done by Michael Moore. Expand
  98. EthanP.
    Mar 15, 2005
    My second-favorite movie of the year. People are inclined to pass off tear-jerking movies as "sentimental," which implies that the film's creators took an easy, empty route and it's therefore bad (which is the basic argument of anyone who discounts a Steven Spielberg movie). This movie, on the other hand, elicits emotion through beautiful writing (it makes boxing seem endlessly My second-favorite movie of the year. People are inclined to pass off tear-jerking movies as "sentimental," which implies that the film's creators took an easy, empty route and it's therefore bad (which is the basic argument of anyone who discounts a Steven Spielberg movie). This movie, on the other hand, elicits emotion through beautiful writing (it makes boxing seem endlessly romantic, not like a barbaric, pay-per-view sporting event) and a very strong major character (Swank) with *everything* on the line. Her focus is so intense; her journey is simultaneously logical and unbelievable--it's a compelling story in which I truly have no idea what will happen to her. And she emerges as a powerful role model. This would not happen if the movie were a simple exercise in cheesy sentimentality. Her conviction is inspiring and unforgettable. Expand
  99. BJDixon
    Mar 15, 2005
    Excellent movie. It starts out slow, and I was bored. My friend fell asleep. What I realized later was it takes a while to build the relationship of the characters, and then it all starts falling in place. By the time the movie ended I was emotionally touched, saddened and happy at the same time. We (four of us) all came to different conclusions in the way it ended.
  100. DWBrown
    Mar 17, 2005
    This is the most over rated movie since "About Schmidt." This goodnatured semi-retarded girl who loves savagely beating other woman in fake/hokey boxing scenes, a ridiculous twist (they say the fighter who punched her in the back of the head after the bell won!) Clint Eastwood abandons his best friend at the end of the film for no reason other than it seems melodramatic. Terrible.

1. Under Eastwood's painstakingly stripped-down direction -- his filmmaking has become the cinematic equivalent of Hemingway's spare though precise prose -- the story emerges as that rarest of birds, an uplifting tragedy.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Staying at the top of his game when most of his contemporaries have long since hung up their gloves, Clint Eastwood delivers another knockout punch with Million Dollar Baby.
  3. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Eastwood takes the audience to raw, profoundly moving places. If you fear strong emotions, this is not for you. But if you want to see Hollywood filmmaking at its most potent, Eastwood has delivered the real deal.