Monsters vs Aliens

6.9

1. Sep 9, 2010
    great plot,great characters,and great setting!
  2. Feb 12, 2012
    Not nearly as funny as it should be, but it is fantastically visually crafted and it is fun and action packed. So Monsters vs Aliens is an entertaining film to look at. I give this movie 74%.
  3. Nov 7, 2013
    Personally, I really enjoyed this movie. It's far from perfect, story's a little cliched and a little underwhelming, characters aren't really used to the extent that they could be. That said, the animation is gorgeous, the voice acting top notch (mostly,) especially Reese Witherspoon & Seth Rogen. Susan is such a wonderful character: A very bland ordinary girl being thrust into a heroicPersonally, I really enjoyed this movie. It's far from perfect, story's a little cliched and a little underwhelming, characters aren't really used to the extent that they could be. That said, the animation is gorgeous, the voice acting top notch (mostly,) especially Reese Witherspoon & Seth Rogen. Susan is such a wonderful character: A very bland ordinary girl being thrust into a heroic role. Susan make you feel every moment and I found it to one of the more moving animated performances I have seen in a while. B.O.B. on the other hand is just goofy, funny, stupid as hell, yet incredibly likable. A real shame the other characters didn't live up to those standards.

Overall:
    Monsters vs Aliens is exactly what you would expect it to be: An animated parody of every old school horror movie. To be fair did anyone expect anything else after reading the title. For what it is, it is allot of fun and well worth watching, just don't be expecting Shakespeare.
  4. Aug 14, 2010
    Whats wrong with these critics? This movie is awesome!! The plot is original, the cast is great, the 3-D animation is wonderful, and the script is hilarious!! Dreamworks does it again!!
  5. Sep 15, 2010
    While not the best from DreamWorks, and it may not be Pixar, it's still a good movie regardless. As a Stephen Colbert fan, I was very excited to see him as the president, something he actually tried to achieve!
  6. Jan 4, 2011
    It's in my opinion one of the best children movies I watched. The humour wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.
  7. Oct 18, 2011
    The movie just manages a 7. I think it's a movie that can only be watched a few times before it becomes boring, mainly due to the plot and storyline. The animation is good, and it's a great one for the kids. The characters are funny and the movie was well done. There are some good funny moments and it's a good family movie.
  8. KeithC
    Mar 27, 2009
    The humor was good and topical (a lot of sci-fi based jokes), good animation, an interesting story line and music that was space based (B52s Planet Claire, One Eyed Purple People Eater, Axle F). The group of people I saw it with are going back to see it in 3D. MUCH better than most people are giving it as a review. WORTH the ticket price.
  9. AndrewR
    Mar 27, 2009
    It was fine not great but not bad either. Good for kids.
  10. chrisr
    Mar 28, 2009
    This movie was very fun, entertaining and funny. They didn't go over the top with the 3-D which was really nice to see. Great movie!
  11. blahblah
    Mar 28, 2009
    It's not Wall-E, but it's a fairly good movie. Some parts were hilarious. I enjoyed the references to other movies. If you're going to see a movie, this wouldn't be a bad choice.
  12. JamesM
    Mar 29, 2009
    This movie was a great movie for the whole family the best characters I liked were Bob, and Link.
  13. TDKinDallas
    Mar 29, 2009
    Surprisingly good. It could have been a lot better, but it was a lot better than I was expecting. 3D effects were amazing and I am not sure, but I thing the adults in the audience enjoyed it more than the kids. Definitely see it in 3D if you are not sure whether you want to pay the extra few bucks.
  14. AdriT
    Mar 29, 2009
    Fun movie for the family, a few nods to the adults with various references of older movies. I'm not sure though if paying extra for the 3D was worth it. Not enough of it in my opinion.
  15. NickS
    Mar 30, 2009
    Saw the advance screening of this on Saturday and loved it! Me and my friends were laughing the whole way through, defenitly one of the best animated films in a while. Sure, the 3D did'nt add that much, but it was the great lines (especially BOB's) that made the movie for me.
  16. MattL
    Mar 30, 2009
    I honestly can't believe the mixed reviews Monsters vs. Aliens is getting. I saw the 2-D version, so I can't speak to the 3-D aspects, but the 2-D version was excellent in every sense of the word: great story, characters, animation, voice work, and everything else. It was a joy to watch -and I'm 23 (and fancy myself a movie snob). My only gripe is that it should've I honestly can't believe the mixed reviews Monsters vs. Aliens is getting. I saw the 2-D version, so I can't speak to the 3-D aspects, but the 2-D version was excellent in every sense of the word: great story, characters, animation, voice work, and everything else. It was a joy to watch -and I'm 23 (and fancy myself a movie snob). My only gripe is that it should've been called Monsters vs. an Alien and Robots and Clones...ok, maybe not that. But still, go see this movie, with or without kids. Expand
  17. Jacob
    Mar 30, 2009
    This movie was extremely entertaining. I loved all of the references to old sci-fi and laughed obnoxiously the whole way through.
  18. LouisM
    Mar 31, 2009
    It is important to say that the film is not all original (Story, jokes...). But it's still a lot of pleasure to watch. I laughed the whole way through. The president was god damn funny, and so was pretty much all the secondary characters. Textures are really detailed, although I don't like the human characters appearance (Kinda reminds me of some manga), the modeling was well It is important to say that the film is not all original (Story, jokes...). But it's still a lot of pleasure to watch. I laughed the whole way through. The president was god damn funny, and so was pretty much all the secondary characters. Textures are really detailed, although I don't like the human characters appearance (Kinda reminds me of some manga), the modeling was well made. Anyhow... I'm giving this movie a 10 because it deserves more then the two numbers that are written at the top of this page. Expand
  19. HyperS
    Apr 2, 2009
    No really spontaneous laugh out loud moments for me... a lot of the jokes were pretty amateurish and some carried on way too long (i.e. Screaming every time a monster is introduced or the jokes involving BOB's short-term memory), but I did smile a few times in the "monster wreaks havoc scenes" at the Golden Gate Bridge and the city destruction scene and with regards to the Alien No really spontaneous laugh out loud moments for me... a lot of the jokes were pretty amateurish and some carried on way too long (i.e. Screaming every time a monster is introduced or the jokes involving BOB's short-term memory), but I did smile a few times in the "monster wreaks havoc scenes" at the Golden Gate Bridge and the city destruction scene and with regards to the Alien Robot/Aliens. Its a well animated film and fairly quick paced... has its moments so worth a watch. Expand
  20. ColinC
    Apr 5, 2009
    Really more of a 6.5. Should have waited for the dvd, but oh well. Pixar it ain't. Story was okay, but a lot of the jokes fell flat. And I never really find myself caring that much about the characters. I saw it in the theatre because I wanted to see it in 3D, but even that was disappointing. I was expecting things to be jumping out at me more, you know, but the 3D effect was Really more of a 6.5. Should have waited for the dvd, but oh well. Pixar it ain't. Story was okay, but a lot of the jokes fell flat. And I never really find myself caring that much about the characters. I saw it in the theatre because I wanted to see it in 3D, but even that was disappointing. I was expecting things to be jumping out at me more, you know, but the 3D effect was primarily giving depth to the image, like looking through a window. Not bad, but honestly, after five minutes, you don't really see it any more and there's only the story left to move you forward. In this case, while not terrible, definitely not worth the trip (and money) to go to the theatre. I might try the 3D thing again, but only if it's a move I really, really want to see. Expand
  21. NathanG
    Apr 11, 2009
    I really liked it (I didn't see the 3D version, just to note). I enjoyed the jokes a lot, and I thought Rogan did a great job as the blob. Colbert was an awesome president as well. It isn't an epic adventure (like WALL-E), nor is it a benchmark in storytelling or animated movies (like Shrek), but it is quite entertaining, so if you enjoy these types of film, I'd recommend I really liked it (I didn't see the 3D version, just to note). I enjoyed the jokes a lot, and I thought Rogan did a great job as the blob. Colbert was an awesome president as well. It isn't an epic adventure (like WALL-E), nor is it a benchmark in storytelling or animated movies (like Shrek), but it is quite entertaining, so if you enjoy these types of film, I'd recommend seeing it. Expand
  22. BillP
    Apr 12, 2009
    Hey! I was entertained. I enjoyed the references to the old horror movies and monster movies of the 50s. I saw it in 2D and was impressed by the details in the animation. Susan's skin texture almost had a photographic quality. Animation has come a long way in the last two decades. Go see this movie and escape for awhile. Enjoy a few chuckles. It is definitely worth your time and money.
  23. PeterPan
    Apr 12, 2009
    Just came back from the cinema and watched this movie with my son in 3D. How much fun was this ... Great movie, very funny at times and the 3D system is nicely implemented. Would definitely recommend watching it.
  24. CH
    Apr 12, 2009
    I loved this movie. It is great and the old sci-fi humor was greatly executed and BOB was very awesome (as so is his voice). You really get along with the characters throughout the movie and I liked the powers that all the monsters possessed. It is a much watch for all ages!
  25. GregH
    Apr 15, 2009
    Although the cliches were SUPPOSED to be cliches, the crisp animation made up for the corny jokes. Besides, this movie is fun. It's not the best animated movie I've seen, but it was packed with a lot of messages which I think many people will catch. All in all, a rather enjoyable movie.
  26. JayK
    Apr 17, 2009
    This is one of the best cartoon movies I've seen in a while. Great characters, major action sequences and, dare I say it, LOL moments throughout. It's major drawback, however, is that they showed the majority of the funny parts on the trailers and adverts..
  27. StephenG
    Apr 18, 2009
    This isn't the animated movie I've ever seen, but the humor and special effects were some of the best I've seen in a animated film.
  28. JoeS
    Apr 18, 2009
    Not an instant classic, but definitely worth seeing if you're tired of rerun action movies. It was a nice afternoon diversion with a good warmhearted feel to it.
  29. SaraS
    May 1, 2009
    This was just a fun, light movie that I really liked watching.
  30. jasminec
    May 17, 2009
    It was a good movie with great entertainment and humor.It had it's good and bad parts but it was mostly a funny movie.I really liked the animation in it and was almost life-like with Susan's freckles.And I would know since I have a few thousand myself.But my total compliment is that it was good.
  31. DavidT
    May 22, 2009
    Loved it. Great movie to take the kids to, and I wasn't bored watching it either.
  32. JayH
    Sep 24, 2009
    Great fun, highly entertaining. Beautifully animated, and wonderfully imaginative. Children and adults with both be entertained. Simple and sweet, as well as a good message.
  33. KeithP
    Oct 5, 2009
    I like Monsters vs Aliens. This movie is hilarious. I give it an A+.
  34. bayc.
    Oct 22, 2009
    This MOVIE WAS AWESOME!!!Best animated movie of the YEAR don't pay attention to the critics who gave it a bad grade,They don't have a clue what they're talking about.
  35. Aug 12, 2014
    Very pleasantly surprised by this film. Outstanding graphics, particularly showing the difference in size, several lough out loud moments and a surprising plot made this a treat to watch. It wasn't perfect,although Susan was a very endearing character the other monsters were quite forgettable. The president and evils alien overlord were great however. I certainly recommend giving up anVery pleasantly surprised by this film. Outstanding graphics, particularly showing the difference in size, several lough out loud moments and a surprising plot made this a treat to watch. It wasn't perfect,although Susan was a very endearing character the other monsters were quite forgettable. The president and evils alien overlord were great however. I certainly recommend giving up an hour or so of your time to watch this film. Shame there won't be a sequel. Expand
  36. Dec 5, 2014
    I usually dislike animated films but this is a wonderful story of willpower, strength and friendship. An innocent pretty girl in the middle of her wedding suddenly saw destroyed all of her plans for an idealistic future after an accident who made her an feared giant, but trough the story she will learn how valuable she can be, increasing her self esteem encouraging her to take her own wayI usually dislike animated films but this is a wonderful story of willpower, strength and friendship. An innocent pretty girl in the middle of her wedding suddenly saw destroyed all of her plans for an idealistic future after an accident who made her an feared giant, but trough the story she will learn how valuable she can be, increasing her self esteem encouraging her to take her own way in a new amazing style of life. Expand
  37. Mar 9, 2015
    Spectacular.One of the best Dreamworks movies,with a spectacular cast,with a great story and great characters.One of the best movie of 2009.Great.Great.
  38. Mar 29, 2015
    Hilarious and smart, but could've had a better and more interesting story. The characters were well thought out and cool. The plot was kind of worthless and disappointing. The animation was good, but ive seen better. The comedy was very funny, I laughed a lot.
  39. Sep 12, 2015
    A 56!? Dude. This is one of the most underrated Dreamworks movies EVER! B.O.B is the best character, Seth Rogen does a really good job in providing his voice. I was interested in seeing it from the moment I saw the trailer because, let's face it the concept is really cool. Also, it looked funny. I wasn't disappointed. I can't believe how overlooked this movie is. Then again, these are theA 56!? Dude. This is one of the most underrated Dreamworks movies EVER! B.O.B is the best character, Seth Rogen does a really good job in providing his voice. I was interested in seeing it from the moment I saw the trailer because, let's face it the concept is really cool. Also, it looked funny. I wasn't disappointed. I can't believe how overlooked this movie is. Then again, these are the people who gave Pacific Rim a 64. Seriously, this is a very good movie I think even adults will be surprised. Expand
  40. Dec 30, 2015
    It got what I exactly want from a movie and it's as decent and watchable that you'll be able to see it over and over until it gets through the head and you want to see something else.

1. There is a nice mix of action with tender moments -- especially among the misfit monsters
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A film of chuckles, smiles and light amusement rather than big laughs, galvanizing excitement and original invention.
    The grandeur of the effects--the honest-to-God spectacle of the thing--elevates Monsters vs. Aliens to something approaching art. It's not a masterpiece, but it's most certainly a milestone.