8.0

1. Dec 10, 2012
    This film is a success, a blending of genres that created this film of children to adults in an adventure splendid film. With a little peculiar photography in these times and mainly as the direction I've been this script very well.
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    It is perhaps the best Wes Anderson film, but that fact almost made me angry because he is close to creating something engaging yet missing in the same trite ways he always does. This demonstrates he is not willing to take a risk in any meaningful way. I can endure the quirkiness, I can appreciate the calculated compositions and mise en scene... but they really should serve a story ofIt is perhaps the best Wes Anderson film, but that fact almost made me angry because he is close to creating something engaging yet missing in the same trite ways he always does. This demonstrates he is not willing to take a risk in any meaningful way. I can endure the quirkiness, I can appreciate the calculated compositions and mise en scene... but they really should serve a story of some gravity, passion or humour. Here the acting is wooden (puppet wooden), lines spoken too fast (as if to emphasize their meaninglessness), the child characters generally acting like adults, adults acting like children, all running around in a simple story, but even more, after awhile, you realize it is about a bunch sets and objects that look like a kid's dreams of military heroism and futile activities carried out in an oddly precise manner. All this makes me think he should use his artistic styling, which is appealing enough, on an entirely different kind of story written by someone else. Expand
  3. May 18, 2013
    Moonrise Kingdom is an eccentric, artistic, and quirky film that portrays exaggerated versions of typical people. Ed Norton's role as an obsessively responsible scout leader is revealed when he is asked what he really does in life. His answer is, “I’m a math teacher, but I’m a scout master on the side--no, I take that back. I’m a scout master, and a math teacher on the side.” For peopleMoonrise Kingdom is an eccentric, artistic, and quirky film that portrays exaggerated versions of typical people. Ed Norton's role as an obsessively responsible scout leader is revealed when he is asked what he really does in life. His answer is, “I’m a math teacher, but I’m a scout master on the side--no, I take that back. I’m a scout master, and a math teacher on the side.” For people who are not movie stars, politicians, or any other vocation that involves celebrity, who they are is based on what they do, or more significantly, what they do for others.

Director Wes Anderson explores the meaning of life when life is obscure and routine. And for all those anonymous individuals out there, there is one thing that lifts them all out of the world of the mundane and into the magical kingdom of the sun, the moon and the stars--that magical moment when the moon rises--and that is love. Norton's Scout Master Ward gets his love from the scouts who are entrusted to his care at the island summer camp. The sheriff, played soulfully by Bruce Willis, seeks a different kind of love from a married friend, who lives on the same island, but later realizes he is morally adrift, and in the end becomes a loving, adoptive father. Tilda Swinton's social worker has given up on love and she is almost a robot, until she too discovers that she can find love with acts of kindness toward others. Everyone who is bereft of love eventually finds some compensation in this 1965 setting that has all the hues of a Kodacolor snapshot. But there is one kind of love that is certain to lift everyone out of their ordinary lives and into magical realms and that is, of course, romantic passion. In this film, that kind of romantic passion is absurdly and almost ridiculously acted out by two 12-year-olds.

Pre-adolescent Sam (Jared Gilman) and Suzy (Kara Hayward) meet at a school play on the island. Sam falls madly in love at first sight, pursues the object of his affections with love letters, and asks his paramour to run away with him. He leaves camp without authorization and she runs away from her parents' gingerbread house with the picture-perfect interior, and the hunt for the two runaway children begins, as the grown-ups get stressed out of their minds because the children are pretending to be adults. Sam is an expert scout, so they set up camp in various parts of their small island, where they get to explore the depths of their romance, which includes tentative, shy attempts at intimate behavior. When caught, they escape a second time and convince another scout master to marry them in a strictly symbolic ceremony, since they are too young to obtain a license. Sam then refers to 12-year-old Suzy as “my wife.” At a glance, it appears that the children are acting like adults, but in fact, this film intends to show that passion and romance are child's play, for even children can kiss, grope, and call each other husband and wife. It is indeed the grown-ups who act like children when they fall madly in love, and there is even something childish about the exclusivity of marriage, when it is born only of passion. That would explain the astronomical divorce rate, hovering at 40% and climbing, a failure rate that seems to be connected to the myth of undying romantic love.

If you grew up in the 1960's, you will wax nostalgic when you see a plastic record player that can be carried like a box with a handle. And remember when people smoked everywhere, even at breakfast? This time period also indicates a certain naivete, an immaturity on a global scale. In the end, the only love that endures is not egocentric love born of amorous passions, but the kind of love that is based on what we do for others. So, in order to wed like grown-ups, the only marriages that work are those committed either to raising the children, as shown by Bill Murray and Frances McDormand (playing Walt and Laura Bishop) in their shaky alliance that stays cemented because of the children and the profession of law to which they are both devoted--or marriages where two people use their synergistic energies to improve, further, and enlighten society at large. Anything else is a self-absorbed child's fantasy in an ephemeral kingdom filled with stardust, where there is no goal and no purpose, except perhaps to laugh, run, and chase the rising moon. And that is better left to 12-year-olds.
  4. Nov 10, 2012
    Finest script work and wonderful con-conventional typical wes anderson type powerful potrayal of a catastrophic incident in a calmly village. Do love it...
  5. Aug 3, 2012
    My fourth Wes Anderson film, a 2D cinema-going, the previous three are THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS (2001, a 7/10), THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU (2004, an 8/10) and THE DARJEELING LIMITED (2007, a 6/10). With its burgeoning domestic box-office performance (a $38.8M by last week, only second to THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS, which cashed in around 52M in the whole run), MOONRISE KINGDOM has a chanceMy fourth Wes Anderson film, a 2D cinema-going, the previous three are THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS (2001, a 7/10), THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU (2004, an 8/10) and THE DARJEELING LIMITED (2007, a 6/10). With its burgeoning domestic box-office performance (a $38.8M by last week, only second to THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS, which cashed in around 52M in the whole run), MOONRISE KINGDOM has a chance to be elevated into the weighty consideration as the BEST PICTURE contender in the Oscar race for the first time for Mr. Anderson, and a more potent edge is that it has gathered his idiosyncratic innovative creativity and incubates it with a fairly engaging story, therefore it can be conceived as his most developed and fully grown work to date. Apart from Anderson Expand
  6. Jun 2, 2012
    This film is cute, amusing and entertaining. It has a funny title, sorta like all the fake books the characters read in the film. This film will not win any major awards.
  7. Jul 12, 2012
    Watching Moonrise Kingdom is like going to a fancy art gallery. Sure the film is wonderfully rendered, just like those pieces of art, but you're always on the outside when watching the film (some preposterous scenes make it hard to connect with the film sometimes), just as you are when observing the art in the gallery. Nonetheless, Moonrise Kingdom is a very-well packaged piece of art,Watching Moonrise Kingdom is like going to a fancy art gallery. Sure the film is wonderfully rendered, just like those pieces of art, but you're always on the outside when watching the film (some preposterous scenes make it hard to connect with the film sometimes), just as you are when observing the art in the gallery. Nonetheless, Moonrise Kingdom is a very-well packaged piece of art, with Wes Anderson's signature over everything in the film. Trust me, Moonrise Kingdom is 100% Wes Anderson, from the linear cinematography to the mischievous score to the dialogue and even down to the character's names. Laughs are abundant in this starkly witty, quirky, and overall enjoyable film. It's a must-see for anyone, particularly those who like intelligent, well-acted offbeat films. At the end of the day, you have to admit, no one quite makes a film like Wes Anderson does. Expand
  8. Aug 12, 2012
    If you like Wes Anderson films you will love this quirkly coming of age story of Suzy and Sam who think they are alone as oddballs in their world till they find each other and run away together. I am not a big Wes Anderson fan but I really enjoyed this movie quite a bit as it crosses back and forth between innocence and ignorance and fantasy and reality. Where do these thoughts/feelingsIf you like Wes Anderson films you will love this quirkly coming of age story of Suzy and Sam who think they are alone as oddballs in their world till they find each other and run away together. I am not a big Wes Anderson fan but I really enjoyed this movie quite a bit as it crosses back and forth between innocence and ignorance and fantasy and reality. Where do these thoughts/feelings intersect Anderson seems to ask and when did we as adults last care or take notice? The kids run away and explore freedom and their feelings but the director wisely chooses to avoid showing intercourse (god forbid-what could be worse in America?) but they kiss and touching in an innocent way that makes us long for those days when we first loved that way. The acting overall is great- I enjoyed Frances McDormand, Bruce Willis, Harvey Keitel and Ed Norton but was quite disappointed with Bill Murray. Excellent feeling of the sixties era on Long Island or New England, good music added drama and rhythm, and the reading of the letters by Sam (Jared Gilman) and Susy (Kara Hayward) to start their friendship as pen pals and Susy's binoculars are just 2 details thst show Anderson's devotion to his craft. Good film for couples, families, and the young at heart. Expand
  9. Sep 1, 2014
    Moonrise Kingdom is a magical journey painted by Wes Anderson and his partner-in-crime Roman Coppola. In addition to being one of Anderson's most stunning films, it is also unbelievably special. Moonrise is some of the best writing, directing and acting of the year.
  10. Sep 4, 2012
    It was much to my surprise that my movie date leaned over half way through the film and whispered in my ear 'I don't get it... it's funny? yes?' Particularly when I had just spent the last hour with a big smile on my face... So I did what any reasonable male would do in similar circumstances. Never called her back.
    But it is now, as I put down these words, that I realize Wes Anderson
    But it is now, as I put down these words, that I realize Wes Anderson might invent the kind of humor that speaks in sly remarks and intelligent repartee. After all, this is the gentleman responsible for "The Royal Tenenbaums" and "Life Aquatic." Films filled with all kinds of quirky characters that are never obvious to decipher.
    Perhaps is my European upbringing that allows me to relate to his flavor of sense of humor. In the old country it is rare to have a laugh at someone smashing a pie in your face, a-la-Jim-Carrey. Too obvious. We do it more with combinations of words that require three different explanations and a day to marinade. Neither is better. It just tastes different.
    With or without my rather attractive yet long-gone companion, Wes Anderson delivered quite the good film. On the surface the story follows the romantic quest of a teen couple determined to come together and run away whether the adults like it or not. Which is a good thing, because the adults seem to be the ones out of touch with things in this Anderson microcosm. The kids are on point, determined, and ready to make all the adult decisions. Which is the humor of the thing. While the adults are always at a loss, indecisive, and in total disarray, specially in their personal lives.
    The dramatic performances were exacted with such surgical precision that it is obviously directed as such. No human takes their words and emotions to that extreme wax-museum-like delivery. Again, that is the humor of the thing.
    I found the marriage of music and imagery fantastic. It opens as it ends. The visuals leave no room for mistaken identity. There is always a haunting quality of being trapped inside a doll house within a little kid's story book. A compromise of innocence and seriousness from which to tell a story of painfully contrasting human emotions. The unrelenting honesty of a true heart ache versus the hopeless defeat of a disappointing adult world. Fantastic.
    One last thing... To the gorgeous girl whose calls I didn't return... Call me back. I found a movie with lots of smashing pies.
  11. Oct 1, 2012
    El cine es un mundo que se va llenando de las llamadas
  12. Aug 8, 2012
    I enjoy a unique movie going expeirience. Wes Anderson absolutely provides that. Yet Anderson doesnt always blend his unique approach to make a good movie, in my opinion. Rushmore was great, Life Aquatic was a masterpiece, this one falls somewhere in between. Rent at home, enjoy!
  13. Jul 24, 2012
    This is my first Wes Anderson movie in quite a few years and have to say I am glad that I gave him another try. As we all now his style is quite unique and while I would not every director to run out to copy it, I found this movie very enjoyable. The way that Anderson makes his characters deliver their lines in the same manner and tome no matter what emotion they are feeling adds humor toThis is my first Wes Anderson movie in quite a few years and have to say I am glad that I gave him another try. As we all now his style is quite unique and while I would not every director to run out to copy it, I found this movie very enjoyable. The way that Anderson makes his characters deliver their lines in the same manner and tome no matter what emotion they are feeling adds humor to situations and dialogue where you would not normally find it. I also found this movie visually enjoyable, each shot can almost be framed like a still picture, this gives the audience a cinema experience unlike any they are likely to find elsewhere. While I don't think Anderson's style makes for difficult work for his actors, it is still hard to argue that any of the performances are less than stellar. Overall a fun enjoyable film that will be worth a second viewing and make me go back and re watch some of his earlier films. Expand
  14. Jun 3, 2012
    Wes Anderson doing what he does best- aesthetics, sound, and relationships. Everything is beautiful, the soundtrack is great, and the movie is full of surprisingly touching moments. The only thing that bothered me was the somewhat wooden acting of the child actors- the deadpan "Wes Anderson" delivery doesn't come naturally to them, but by the second half of the movie I had forgotten allWes Anderson doing what he does best- aesthetics, sound, and relationships. Everything is beautiful, the soundtrack is great, and the movie is full of surprisingly touching moments. The only thing that bothered me was the somewhat wooden acting of the child actors- the deadpan "Wes Anderson" delivery doesn't come naturally to them, but by the second half of the movie I had forgotten all about this and was enthralled completely. Expand
  15. Oct 3, 2012
    I'm not especially a fan of Mr Anderson's output. I found Rushmore to be bombastic and distastefully immature, if ambitious. Tenembaums never really peaked my interest. I started to get his approach with Zissou, allured as I was by his iconic visual style. I found the feature to be flawed, but it made me chuckle in a way no other film has before. His subject matter is somewhatI'm not especially a fan of Mr Anderson's output. I found Rushmore to be bombastic and distastefully immature, if ambitious. Tenembaums never really peaked my interest. I started to get his approach with Zissou, allured as I was by his iconic visual style. I found the feature to be flawed, but it made me chuckle in a way no other film has before. His subject matter is somewhat pretentious, but for his treatment of an older man's coming of age, the splendid supporting cast and his perfect casting of Bill Murray in that role, he should and was commended. To my own detriment, I cheapened the experience by loitering in the auditorium after the screening to catch the sequel to a well known Wachowski brothers film, which, although sophisiticated in its own technical way, wasn't even in the same league. It begets a repeat viewing, but I've yet to get myself in the right frame of mind to fully appreciate it again. I was enticed into watching Darjeeling, once again by it's casting, and it's immaculate promotional poster. Unfortunately, I found that film to be somewhat self important, and, once again, undermined by distastefulness. I was drawn to this, his latest release, yes, once again, by his refreshingly unique style, which is both retro and very contemporary. On first viewing it failed to capture my interest. On a whole, for an adventure, the movie is dull: drawn out in places and rushed in others. His cinematic gags becoming a bit gimicky by this point. I did enjoy the universe he had created and, if I'm using the term correctly, the general mise en scene of its framing, to be most pleasing on the eye, but almost too much attention has been paid on this aspect (his priorities are almost inverted). The lack of worldliness is understandable in the younger cast, but I personally found the older characters to be somewhat one dimensional, the story to be slight, and the stilted delivery of its dialogue infuriatingly monotonous. (It's just not as funny as it thinks it is.) Arguably, this is intentional, and I'm sure there is a post-modern justification for the film's overall flatness. I'm sure he would likely use terms such as 'distancing effect', at which he has been succesful (the film's opening admittedly does resemble a dolls house - as Zissou's sub resembles a schematic). Maybe it's was just that there was such a large younger cast, I couldn't quite connect with the film's emotions (the word autism did surface in my consciousness a few times during viewing). Then, maybe perhaps I'm not meant to, for this seems to be a grown up film for young people, and very much an experience for those within it. I did find myself compelled to watch the film again, if not in it's entirety. Mainly to immerse myself once again in his rich universe, which I longed to re-inhabit shortly after the films close. Also, to share the company of its familiar cast, in fittingly new guises. At the risk of not being cooly understated, as most critics seem to be aware such fare requires, we are blessed by the presence of the sultry young Kara Hayward, a future screen siren in the making. This is very much her film. A gift. Expand
  16. Oct 16, 2012
    Wes Anderson´s Moonrise Kingdom is one of his greatest achievements since Rushmore. This film is simply lovely, it´s intimate and original and it truly defines what love really is. The entire cast is fabulous, that goes from Bill Murray till Bruce Willis. The film is funny when it has to be and dramatic at the right moments, it´s the perfect combination.
  17. Nov 11, 2012
    I like quirky films, with odd characters and this film have both of these things. I was looking for more laughs but was a solid period based film. The casting is perfect as is the array of colors making the scenes jump off the screen. I would not call this a classic but recommended but a view or two.
  18. Jul 9, 2012
    One of the greatest, most unique directors of our time, Wes Anderson, is back with his seventh film and it doesn
  19. Jul 10, 2012
    Wes Anderson at his best! Moonrise Kingdom will go down as one of his greatest. From the corky scripting, to the incredible cinematography, this film is hard not to enjoy.
  20. Jul 11, 2012
    After a meandering start, it takes flight and is magical. True to form, Wes Anderson. Tender at the core and odd on the outside. Sweet perfection, lovely.
  21. Jul 15, 2012
    I went in jaded and was ready to hate the preciousness of it all, but this gem won me over. A summer treat from a man with a vision. You pretty much know what you're going to get with Wes Anderson, but here it comes together with style and grace.
  22. May 30, 2014
    Wes Anderson is one of the best directors working today and this is yet another example of his greatness. Beautifully filmed throughout as usual, Anderson creates the perfect set for this film and really utilizes every tool at his disposal in terms of the location of this one. Every shot is truly more beautiful than the last. "Moonrise Kingdom" is a cute, quirky look at adolescent love. ItWes Anderson is one of the best directors working today and this is yet another example of his greatness. Beautifully filmed throughout as usual, Anderson creates the perfect set for this film and really utilizes every tool at his disposal in terms of the location of this one. Every shot is truly more beautiful than the last. "Moonrise Kingdom" is a cute, quirky look at adolescent love. It gets a tad...awkward at times to watch, but throughout, you cannot help but smile and laugh as these two kids embark on this adventure with one another. In many films that focus on young people, the child actors are sometimes spotty with their acting, but here, both Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward, though both just 12 at the time of filming, were remarkable. Their innocence shines through throughout. In addition to them, Bruce Willis and Edward Norton were fantastic, as were Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, and Jason Schwartzman, in what is a really star-studded and talented cast. Like many Anderson films, it is not riotously funny, but it certainly has its moments of pure comedy. A touching romantic fantasy adventure comedy, "Moonrise Kingdom" is yet another win for Anderson. Expand
  23. Aug 8, 2012
    Move over Bruce Willis! Bruce Willis is in town! Wait what? I don't know, but Bruce Willis was great in this and he didn't even punch/shoot/kick anyone or spout any cool catch phrases. Like Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and LA Story before it, Moonrise Kingdom is a movie. Whether or not you like movies may have a lot to do with how much you enjoy Moonrise Kingdom. AskMove over Bruce Willis! Bruce Willis is in town! Wait what? I don't know, but Bruce Willis was great in this and he didn't even punch/shoot/kick anyone or spout any cool catch phrases. Like Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and LA Story before it, Moonrise Kingdom is a movie. Whether or not you like movies may have a lot to do with how much you enjoy Moonrise Kingdom. Ask yourself: Have I ever seen a movie before? If the answer is no, then it is weird that you are reading this. Go see a movie. Should this be the first movie you ever see? Probably not. Go see Nell. It is about you. Then you can see this and Terminator 3: Rise of the Machinerators and Forrest Gump. But why stop there? There are literally thousands of movies you can go see now that are not being like Nell. Also, Bill Murray is in this. If you have seen a movie before, you might know that Bill Murray is pretty funny sometimes. If you are ok with that, and secure in your own level of humor, you might like to see this movie and even laugh sometimes at Bill Murray or even some of the other actors. Oh yes! There are other actors! One of them was in Fargo, and one of them made his mother cry (but I won't say which one!). Movies: the more you know. Expand
  24. Apr 16, 2014
    A rather odd movie, good one to watch, but a bit cheesy. The story is good, it has some depth, the actors are nice, the direction is decent. Overall, an okay movie if not that cheesiness.
  25. Oct 3, 2012
    Excellent film. Fantastic performances all round and wonderfully original. I honestly do not understand the extremely negative reviews here. This probably isn't a 10/10 film but at least an 8.
  26. Nov 5, 2012
    The film is set and edited with a master's perfection and each scene is cut so precisely, that within the first five minutes you're enchanted by Anderson's world. But, I believe it is this same style that prevents the film from being great, as the cookie cutter feel of it all eventually becomes tiresome.
  27. Nov 10, 2012
    The Royal Tenenbaums is one of my all time favorite films. I love Rushmore as well. Those films are both 10's in my book. Moonrise Kingdom is not a 10. It does not live up to Rushmore or Tenenbaums, but it certainly comes close. The beginning of the film was my problem. I wasn't bored, but I was starting to get to that point. The middle of the movie then came and from that point on it wasThe Royal Tenenbaums is one of my all time favorite films. I love Rushmore as well. Those films are both 10's in my book. Moonrise Kingdom is not a 10. It does not live up to Rushmore or Tenenbaums, but it certainly comes close. The beginning of the film was my problem. I wasn't bored, but I was starting to get to that point. The middle of the movie then came and from that point on it was flawless. I enjoyed it very much. The performances from the cast were hilarious. Especially by Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, and Edward Norton. They are the funniest and saddest characters of this story. This is a story about young love and family and it is definitely one of Anderson's best. This is one of my favorite films of the year, and I encourage any one to go and see it. One of the most interesting movie going experiences of the year. Expand
  28. Nov 14, 2012
    Even though this is my first Wes Anderon film, I enjoyed every moment of Moonrise Kingdom, savoring the originality of the characters and the atmosphere. There is something so unique and refreshing about the film... it is a breath of fresh air. Like any good drama, the movie is sincere and heartfelt, a fantasy filled with hints of nostalgia. Like any good comedy, the movie is very funnyEven though this is my first Wes Anderon film, I enjoyed every moment of Moonrise Kingdom, savoring the originality of the characters and the atmosphere. There is something so unique and refreshing about the film... it is a breath of fresh air. Like any good drama, the movie is sincere and heartfelt, a fantasy filled with hints of nostalgia. Like any good comedy, the movie is very funny and very entertaining, with Bill Murray stealing the show at times. Part of the humor comes from the fact that the characters take themselves more seriously than we think they should. Yet the characters are sympathetic and feel realistic. The story can certainly pride itself in being unpredictable. The cinematography is simple yet elegant. Definitely see Moonrise Kingdom. Expand
  29. Dec 15, 2012
    The story itself is already fascinating, but it doesn't hurt at all that its misfit characters' journey is beautifully told by the quintessential filmmaker of the misfits. Moonrise Kingdom is one of those few cases in which bold formalism doesn't lead to a cold time at the movies. Actually, it's all the opposite.
  30. Dec 19, 2012
    some plot revealed in this preview.

some plot revealed in this preview.

This film is brilliant! It is a simple story on the cover: Orphan boy doesn't really fit anywhere, finds another person in life who doesn't really fit in as well. Together they find love and peace in each other, as well as acceptance and understanding. On the back of the story, we have the adults. The adults in this film show what is wrong with the world and society and its impact on our youth. The influences the Adults in the movie have directly affect the children, not so much psychologically but socially and emotionally. Its a pretty heart warming story giving you some great insight into a world of reality where children really understand more than adults realize. The movie has many layers of which to unfold. life in general; In the end, all people want is to find a balance and a happiness. this movie does an excellent job of showing the process, among many other lessons to be learned! I recommend this film for everyone! Anyone who has had some form of struggle with life should be able to relate to this movie and story.
  31. Jan 6, 2013
    This is just Wes Anderson at his best. A funny and cute screenplay that shows what it is like to be a kid and the theatricality of young love. If you like quirky movies that aren't the usual Kathrine Hiegel wreck then watch this. It will entertain you and give you a soft warm glow inside you.
  32. Feb 9, 2013
    Great movie. Period. Enjoyed every second of it. Solid soundtrack, great script, great acting, one of Wes Anderson's best films yet. Cannot wait for his next flick.
  33. Feb 8, 2013
    Película correcta, que mantiene las obsesiones de Anderson: colores, diálogos, actores. Lo nuevo son las actuaciones de la pareja de niños y los roles que cumplen, estos son personajes llenos de deseos que los adultos no entienden (a lo Simona Vinci) y se espantan. Temáticamente una loa al amor, mas uno que incluye las roturas de la mirada insolente de la niñez
  34. Oct 15, 2014
    Simply left me speechless. One of the best films I've seen. Odd, sweet, funny, and finally we see Bruce Willis acting well. The characters are caricatures and don't even realise it. The typically Andersonian style of cinematography is unbelievably colourful. It doesn't have a specific point and isn't trying to have one.
    The score by Desplat is marvellous. Better than the Tenenbaums.
  35. Mar 23, 2013
    Loved this movie. If you can have the patience to sit through it all its a truley wonderful film. everything from the scenery, costumes, script all amazing. I truley love this director.
  36. Apr 18, 2013
    A wonderfully darkened piece from Anderson's bag. According to me, it's the best Anderson movie so far. You can sue me for saying this, but it's also probably the best of 2012. Loved the craftsmanship. Loved the acting. Loved the quirky camera movements. Loved the story. Oh hell! What am I talking about! Loved the whole thing!!!!
  37. Jun 7, 2013
    It seems to me that the performance of Bob Balaban was the most hilarious one His acting is so intentionally awkward that he looks like a six year-old performing in a school play. As far as I am concerned the role of Bruce Willis could have been given to anyone else since it was too simple and did not show his true talent, but i didn't hate it. Who are we to judge him? On the other hand,It seems to me that the performance of Bob Balaban was the most hilarious one His acting is so intentionally awkward that he looks like a six year-old performing in a school play. As far as I am concerned the role of Bruce Willis could have been given to anyone else since it was too simple and did not show his true talent, but i didn't hate it. Who are we to judge him? On the other hand, Edward Norton was more in his element in this film, where he plays a soft, clumsy person, than he was in other movies he did such as The Incredible Hulk and Fight Club. Additionally everything in this film seems to have been made dead and cold which is a good thing as it achieved to appear surreal. The music was mostly classical but together with the whimsical sets and costumes a very dreamy and poignant version of the 60's is formed. The lack of expression of really strong feelings even though some might say it's not usual for a film therefore risky and unlikely to be well-received, I believe is a futuristic art form, way ahead of our time. Moonrise Kingdom is about to become a prototype for many other films to come. Expand
  38. Jun 26, 2013
    This film is a marvelous gorgeous tale. The direction of that film is so extraordinary with such colors that can travel your mind to 1965 as the movie takes place. The two young actors were great too. It had a sense of humor and it is more like a black comedy with romantic stuff on it. I found it interesting and probably one of the best movies of that kind that I have ever seen. IThis film is a marvelous gorgeous tale. The direction of that film is so extraordinary with such colors that can travel your mind to 1965 as the movie takes place. The two young actors were great too. It had a sense of humor and it is more like a black comedy with romantic stuff on it. I found it interesting and probably one of the best movies of that kind that I have ever seen. I recommend it to everyone though I think that some people may not like this film. It depends on what some people like. However, I loved that movie and I would like to watch it again if I have the chance. A must-watch film that should have more nominations to the Oscar awards. Thumbs up!! Expand
  39. Dec 22, 2013
    Sometimes solid direction, an ensemble cast and an interesting premise just isn't enough.. I found out the hard way. I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of Anderson's but I did in fact love the royal tannenbaums. For all of the promise that this movie had I thought It was a disappointment. One dimensional characters, Woden acting from the child actors and an overall boring story had me wonderingSometimes solid direction, an ensemble cast and an interesting premise just isn't enough.. I found out the hard way. I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of Anderson's but I did in fact love the royal tannenbaums. For all of the promise that this movie had I thought It was a disappointment. One dimensional characters, Woden acting from the child actors and an overall boring story had me wondering when this movie would end. Expand
  40. Feb 6, 2014
    Wes Anderson admires young love in a way that most do not, or I suppose I should say that he admires youth and the youthful view as all his films have that adolescent glow about them as if he is forever locked in a state of arrested development. I for one am particularly swayed by his films and their upbeat take on a nihilistic world. Moonrise Kingdom follows the Anderson pantheon likeWes Anderson admires young love in a way that most do not, or I suppose I should say that he admires youth and the youthful view as all his films have that adolescent glow about them as if he is forever locked in a state of arrested development. I for one am particularly swayed by his films and their upbeat take on a nihilistic world. Moonrise Kingdom follows the Anderson pantheon like every other member of his rag tag cult and even though you know everything that is going to take place you still in enjoy the ride.
    I would give this film an 8.5 as a fan of the man's work, however the Poe scale suggest a 7.5 at best.
    The Poe Scale
    Acting: 1/2
    Cinematography: 2/2
    Editing: 1.5/2
    Effects and Design 2/2
    Writing: 1/2
  41. Dec 21, 2014
    You know, I just found out this movie was 1hr 30min long. I had assumed all this time it was at least 2hr 30min, because that's what it felt like. Good grief.
    Yeah, I know people love it, but I really found Moonrise Kingdom to be a drag. The main kid actor is rather annoying, and I feel that this is partially the fault of direction. He tries to act serious sometimes, and other times he's just a cute little boy. Is he supposed to be a tough kid, or a geeky little boy? Watching him feels like watching a commercial more than a good film. The story is drug out more than it should be, and Wes Anderson's typical charm isn't really there from start to finish. In the end, I found it to be a forgettable experience and not really worth watching. Some of the visual charm remains, and the climax is actually a bit interesting, (contrasting it with the rest of the film), but Moonrise Kingdom felt like a failed project overall, without much potential for success to begin with.
  42. Apr 3, 2014
    The Royal Tenenbaums was the first Wes Anderson film I watched. I liked it (I was 12 when I saw it.) Recently I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel, which I had mixed feelings about. More recently I watched Moonrise Kingdom, which gave rise the the thought: wow, why is this guy so acclaimed? As far as I'm concerned, this movie is just fool's gold. So, the diagnosis. I read up on film theory aThe Royal Tenenbaums was the first Wes Anderson film I watched. I liked it (I was 12 when I saw it.) Recently I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel, which I had mixed feelings about. More recently I watched Moonrise Kingdom, which gave rise the the thought: wow, why is this guy so acclaimed? As far as I'm concerned, this movie is just fool's gold. So, the diagnosis. I read up on film theory a lot as it is something I am strongly interested in, and there is a general consensus that you must play by the rules to begin with, but once you become a true auteur and expert in your field, you can basically do what you want. Wes Anderson thinks he has reached that stage, but he really hasn't. Do you know anyone who is a bit alternative, a bit artsy, supposedly 'generous', 'sweet', 'charming' and 'funny'; loved by everyone but you? For me, Wes Anderson is that guy. His characters are basically all the same: mini projections of his own quirky, oddball idiosyncrasies that not only his pseudo intellectual hipster cult love, but his staunch aficionados who also happen to be critics. I really don't see it. He directs the film the same way a 12 year old girl plays with her dollhouse, the characters are shallow and daft. I really couldn't bring myself to care about them. The only scene which moved me was the kissing scene on the beach (I moved my hands over my eyes.) The storyline is slightly risqué, and it doesn't help that the two main characters are precocious brats. I found it shocking that the romanticisation of mental illnesses (something greatly criticised these days) was completely overlooked. Mental instabilities are SERIOUS. They do not make you quirky or cool! The movie felt like taking a cold shower with a toothache. However I suppose a lot of the things I criticised about him are typical of many other directors, even directors I love, for example Fellini always had absurd characters, but I loved them. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that he has a very particular style, you can try and pick his films apart but you'd be splitting hairs: you either love them or hate them. Expand
  43. Nov 5, 2014
    All i could say after seeing this movie was, "What did I just sit through?" Hard to follow story, confusing logic by all characters, and all together too complicated for an average movie goer. if you want to explain what happened to me, go see it, but if not, STEER CLEAR!

1. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Jun 27, 2012
    These characters don't realize they're funny, and the actors are determined not to push it. Willis fares best, playing against in-control type; Murray fans expecting a comedy explosion won't find it here.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jun 22, 2012
    A thoroughly endearing journey, and one of the most enjoyable and touching movies to land in theaters so far this year.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jun 21, 2012
    The film is precious and adorable, but it isn't naïve, and the movie breathes so deep that Anderson even gets a real performance out of Willis (this is his best work in years).