Mortal Kombat

8.6

1. Sep 25, 2011
    Paul W.S Anderson's "Mortal Kombat" doesn't play out like a game, but like 32 episodes of 'Power Rangers' fused together. Yes, the movie is that much terrible.
  2. j30
    Feb 13, 2012
    Video game movie adaptations haven't always been the greatest idea. The two mediums don't really come close to each other in terms of direction or design. Having said all that, Mortal Kombat is entertainingly bad.
  3. Aug 24, 2016
    This film seemed to be the start of a great franchise. Though it was slightly less than it could have been it delivered great action sequences and favourite characters to the big screen.
  4. Jan 3, 2011
    back in the day this game was huge so of course it spawns a movie . as usaul it was a hollywood sell out of a film . well what makes mortal kombat a cool game and the only reason ? fatalities ... that is it . the movie with its PG13 rating pretty much waters it all down and what where left with is some thing so-so , the acting is passable the story does follow the games . the specialback in the day this game was huge so of course it spawns a movie . as usaul it was a hollywood sell out of a film . well what makes mortal kombat a cool game and the only reason ? fatalities ... that is it . the movie with its PG13 rating pretty much waters it all down and what where left with is some thing so-so , the acting is passable the story does follow the games . the special effects where pretty good. the charicters are one dimensional but they are the same in the game . this movie could have been far worse when you look at the history of games to movies . Mortal Kombat atleast was wachable . Expand
  5. Nov 1, 2015
    As a fan of the video game series i enjoyed it, it had the characters down pat along with some really good fight sequences but as a film it is by no means "great" the story is quite hollow and the characters while having their mannerisms done correctly they were pretty underdeveloped.
  6. Aug 10, 2016
    Its amusing that reviews are as good as they are. Its an awful film, but it is also, due to its ridiculous dialogue, awesome soundtrack, and action sequences, hilariously entertaining. Moreover, stays close to the source material, which is nice.
  7. Jan 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I rented Mortal Kombat on Boxing Day 2013 so I could fill the extra hours of boredom. At the first cutscene when a boy called Chan Kang was killed by Shang Tsung, I was confused but I soon realised that it was a flashback so I continued the movie. The plot is based on the first Mortal Kombat, but then I was thrown off with the fact that there were characters from Mortal Kombat 2. The plot was not constructed or written very well because at the ending when Shao Kahn appears, I was thinking "Which Mortal Kombat game are they basing the movie on? Mortal Kombat or Mortal Kombat 2??"

I liked the fight scenes in the game with my favorite being Johnny Cage vs Scorpion and I also liked some of the jokes that certain characters make in the movie. The funniest part of the movie for me was when Johnny Cage punched Goro in the nuts. The environments were awesome as well for a 90's movie. However, the awful dialogue and the acting that ranged from bad like Christopher Lambert (Raiden) to hilaribad like Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (Shang Tsung) who was laughably awful at the role. Memorable quotes from Shang Tsung included "Your soul is MINE!", "Fatality!" and "Finish him/her!". And let's not forget his weird screw face that he does in certain parts of the movie!!! LOL XD

Overall, it is an alright movie, but it would have been better if the acting was great, the dialogue wasn't cheesy and the plot was re-worked. I am not a fan of Mortal Kombat but I kinda liked the movie.

It is, in essence, the video game transferred part and parcel to the screen, and very well at that.
  2. Mortal Kombat the movie has everything a teenage boy could want: snakes that jut out of a villain's palms, acrobatic kung- fu fighting and a couple of battling babes. Everything, that is, but an interesting plot, decent dialogue and compelling acting
  3. The movie's extensive martial arts sequences, in which combatants bounce off each other doing triple handsprings, suggest a slightly more earthbound version of the aerial ballets in Hong Kong action-adventure films.