5.9

1. Feb 20, 2011
    Meditative soul-search - Lynne Ramsay explores the inner life of the mysterious woman Morvern Callar in her second feature film preceding her acclaimed feature film debut "Ratcatcher" (1999).

Morvern Callar is a woman in her twenties who lives with her boyfriend in a Scottish coastal town where she works at a shopping mall with her best friend Lanna. Christmas is nearby, and one day after visiting the local pub with Lanna, Morvern returns to her home where she finds her boyfriend dead on the floor of their living room. Left behind with an unpublished novel, a recorded tape of music and some money, Morvern invites her friend on a holiday trip to Spain.

Scottich film maker, screenwriter and photographer Lynne Ramsay had made three short films and her first feature film "Ratcatcher" (1999) before she made this innovating character study which was shoot in UK, Scottland and Spain. Her patient and poetic camera movements mirrors a passion and consideration for her motives which is very appealing. The intimate close ups of Samantha Morton leads the viewer closely enough to captivate it's attention, and Lynne Ramsays individualistic film style and creative perspectives makes her one of the most interesting female directors a long side Susanne Bier, Jane Campion, Sally Potter and Margreth Olin.

Once one sees the face of Samantha Morton it triggers our curiosity for the dark haired, mystic and short spoken Morvern Callar who has recently lost her lover and is getting trough the initial phase of grief. Morvern is an archetype heroine, and after facing a traumatic incident she counterattacks in stead of digging herself down. But is she in denial? or is she trying to escape reality? The synoptic though alluring screenplay adapted from Alan Warners novel aims in on the main character and creates an unforgettable character brought to life by Samantha Morton who delivers an enchanting performance which is reminiscent of Emily Watson`s performance in "Breaking the Waves" (1996).

Alvin H. Kuchler`s colorful and artistic photography and the psychedelic music from amongst others Apex Twin and The Velvet Underground increases this interpretive independent films cryptic mood.
  2. Aug 27, 2010
    Morvan Callar joins the countless number of feminine characters in cinema whose unrestrained mystique equally frustrates and fascinates the viewer, and ultimately keeps us glued to the screen. Samantha Morton's performance is really what gives the movie its power (more so than Ramsay's directing), managing to lure us in but leave us disconnected from the mysterious stoichism of herMorvan Callar joins the countless number of feminine characters in cinema whose unrestrained mystique equally frustrates and fascinates the viewer, and ultimately keeps us glued to the screen. Samantha Morton's performance is really what gives the movie its power (more so than Ramsay's directing), managing to lure us in but leave us disconnected from the mysterious stoichism of her character. The hipster soundtrack and fast-cut editing were nice touches, bringing its classic philosophical ideas to the modern age, a structure which is bound to strike a chord among niche audiences (i.e. Druggies/Clubbers/Hipsters). However, the dialogue almost seems like it was added as an afterthought and the messages presented only seem half-fulfilled by the end of the film. Collapse
  3. ElliottM
    Feb 16, 2008
    Highly unusual film, with fantastic cinematography and arguably the greatest movie soundtrack EVER -- quirky and eclectic, just like the characters in the film. I'll admit it was difficult to understand some of the dialogue (and it's a pity there aren't subtitles available on the DVD), but I ran out and bought this one right after I saw it. Wonderful, fascinating movie.
  4. MatthewZ.
    Feb 22, 2007
    There are hardly words to describe just how terribly awful this movie is. It's a pedantic wannabe French film with a Scottish accent. Save some time and watch a wigged out friend of yours smoke a cigarette -- that's about what this film adds up to. This will be the last time I ever trust the Cannes Film Festival.
  5. RoryO.
    Mar 7, 2005
    I liked the sex bit.
  6. AnneL.
    Jan 29, 2005
    It's a continually surprising film. The cinematography is exquisite, Samantha Morton acts out a brilliantly dull sadness, and the soundtrack gives it an indescribable power.
  7. MikeP.
    Aug 15, 2004
    This film brilliantly captured what its like to be young and impulsive.
  8. J.L.
    Jun 14, 2004
    No real narrative arc. This could have been a short. The conclusion is one which is far too predictable.
  9. SamM.
    Dec 26, 2003
    Very slow.. Not much of a story.
  10. QuigleyQ.
    Dec 24, 2003
    Since no one has mentioned it yet, I will cast my ten just for the music alone. A perfect affective accompaniment to her grieving and regenration. In particular, the static and still shots are so well composed and indicative of Morvern's aesthetic and personal relationship to the world.
  11. ChadS.
    Apr 3, 2003
    "Morvern Callar" is no picnic; no day at the dentist either. But, still there's a lot to admire here. A lot of the credit goes to Samantha Morton for icing over a few choice moments where a talented actress is of the utmost importance. Unlike Rebecca Miller's "Personal Velocity", we have no inkling to what makes Morvern tick. At times, we're watching a zombie. The blank "Morvern Callar" is no picnic; no day at the dentist either. But, still there's a lot to admire here. A lot of the credit goes to Samantha Morton for icing over a few choice moments where a talented actress is of the utmost importance. Unlike Rebecca Miller's "Personal Velocity", we have no inkling to what makes Morvern tick. At times, we're watching a zombie. The blank eyes and neutral mouth of say, another Samantha, would suggest to the audience that all the girl needs is a good night sleep. With Morton, we sense layers(I think the best bit of acting in 2002 was when Morton emerges out of the water in "Minority Report" to announce, "Murder.") Lynn Ramsey is interesting too. There's a great scene that recalls "Fargo", although far less gory, and another scene in which Morvern walks through a nightclub with strophic non-music over the soundtrack that excites. "Morvern Callar" drags a little when the two girls are stranded in the desert, but it's not enough to derail this flawed, but invigorating, and occasionally exciting, albeit meandering movie. Expand
  12. MichaelN.
    Jan 17, 2003
    Rarley does a script, let alone a director, travel through the landscape of existintialism in such an exquisite and abstract form of styalization. This, as was Ratcatcher, is the work of a cinematic genius. Morton is fabulous giving her character an enigmatic yet delicate quality that has sinse been Mortons trademark and deserves recognition. Also noteworthy is the extreme talent and Rarley does a script, let alone a director, travel through the landscape of existintialism in such an exquisite and abstract form of styalization. This, as was Ratcatcher, is the work of a cinematic genius. Morton is fabulous giving her character an enigmatic yet delicate quality that has sinse been Mortons trademark and deserves recognition. Also noteworthy is the extreme talent and break-through collaboration between director (Ramsey) and cinematographer (Kutchler). Further more, Morton and McDermott deliver a magnificent chemistry hardley seen between actors. Surreal, beautiful, and an extraordinary work of art, Morvern Callar is one of the best films to emerge out of 2002, as well as one of the top ten of this new decade. Perhaps even the last for that matter. Expand
  13. AjitP.
    Jan 13, 2003
    From start to finish, a brilliant meditation on the nature of a true artist, the kind which has been long forgotten. An artist of life, an artist that constantly is touch with the invisible, melancholic soul. The film's technique, execution, creativity are never in question, it is clear that we are to witness the dawn of an great artist, filmaker Lynne Ramsay.

1. Reviewed by: Ken Fox
    Ramsay's second feature is an extraordinary adaptation of fellow-Scot Alan Warner's acclaimed novel.
    More engrossing than convincing.
  3. As Morvern, Morton is disconcertingly enigmatic, often bordering on catatonic. But she carries the movie effortlessly. And even though we're on the outside looking in, she carries us along, too.