Metascore
54

Mixed or average reviews - based on 21 Critics What's this?

User Score
8.4

Universal acclaim- based on 33 Ratings

Your Score
0 out of 10
Rate this:
  • 10
  • 9
  • 8
  • 7
  • 6
  • 5
  • 4
  • 3
  • 2
  • 1
  • 0
  • 0
  • Starring: ,
  • Summary: Two down-on-their luck brothers inherit a dilapidated estate worth millions and soon discover that before they can cash in, they must rid the old mansion of its single, stubborn occupant -- a tiny and tenacious mouse. (DreamWorks)
Score distribution:
  1. Positive: 8 out of 21
  2. Negative: 1 out of 21
  1. Reviewed by: Giala Murray
    80
    Lane as the greedy schemer and the timid, gangly Evans make a good slapstick team, with great support from a cast of larger-than-life characters including Walken as the exterminator who approaches his task with military precision and outrageous hardware.
  2. 78
    Absolutely one-hundred-percent ridiculous, this is comedy of a higher order, and more maniacally inspired than almost anything released in years.
  3. Reviewed by: Jack Mathews
    70
    A virtual replay of the original "Home Alone." It's darker, meaner, sillier, more scatological, and, in rare moments, funnier.
  4. Aa bit too familiar an American tail. [19 December 1997, p. 82]
  5. If you're a five-year-old, or the mental equivalent thereof, and love Saturday morning cartoons, the more violent the better, then Mouse Hunt may just be the movie for you.
  6. Mouse Hunt is inane, antic cinema in the extreme. But even if half the gags don't quite work, the other half are inspired.
  7. Reviewed by: Jeannie Stein
    10
    Just plain bad.

See all 21 Critic Reviews

Score distribution:
  1. Positive: 4 out of 4
  2. Mixed: 0 out of 4
  3. Negative: 0 out of 4
  1. Feb 12, 2015
    9
    Having grown up through my childhood watching Mousehunt over and over again on VCR, it's hardly surprising that I am the person I am today.Having grown up through my childhood watching Mousehunt over and over again on VCR, it's hardly surprising that I am the person I am today. Mousehunt can be described quite simply as a comical, daft, over-the-top, ahead of it's time comedy, which 90% of the time, works excellently, the other 10%, contains some roll your eyes moments, but let's focus on the good stuff.
    The performances are absolutly top-notch, quite possibly the best comedy duo I've ever seen, and the main characters shine with charisma, the supporting characters are some of the most larger than life people ever to hit the cinema screen, it's quite incredible. The slapstick story and the way it moves itself along as a whole is very reminiscent of how a comedy movie would be today, fast paced, never stopping, small emotional moments but mostly just fun packed action sequences, which are the absolute highlight here, they're just brilliant. When you look at this film from an aesthetic standpoint, it's hard to believe that it's 18 years old now, it feels like a film that I could've just seen last week at the cinema, everything works beautifully, with the exception of that 10% of rather irritating moments but apart from that, this movie is pure gold.
    Expand
  2. Aug 15, 2011
    7
    Very funny. Lee Evans does fantastic in this movie. Even adults would be entertained as it has humour stored up for them. Definitely worth a watch.
  3. Aug 1, 2013
    7
    Mouse Hunt is very silly, and quite funny, at the same time completely unrealistic (and kinda stupid). The highlight of this film isMouse Hunt is very silly, and quite funny, at the same time completely unrealistic (and kinda stupid). The highlight of this film is definetely its comedic moments and things that happen, the actual dialogue isn't very funny, but then again, I don't think it's supposed to be. The character building is surprisingly great in this film, as they change throughout the film, you start to feel for them, well, not really, more like you start to laugh at them, because they're so stupid and are rubbish at trying to catch the mouse. However, the comedy and character building are the only great things about it, the story's pretty good and kinda moving, the actings good, and everything else about this film is nothing better or worse than mediocre. Mouse Hunt is a typically comedicly silly and charmingly simple family film, and does a good job at what it aims to do entertain it's audience. So I give this film a... 73/100! Expand

See all 4 User Reviews

Trailers