7.4

1. Jul 11, 2011
    Simply, one of the best movies of its decade.
    The number of themes, moods and messages represented by David Lynch in this opera magna is still under analysis.
  2. j30
    Sep 20, 2011
    Hard to recommend this movie to anyone who hasn't seen any of Lynch's films, maybe if you watched them in a certain order, you might understand how all his films have reached this point. This is by far his best and most ambitious film. The music, the tone, the acting are perfect in the dreamy landscape he paints.
  3. Mar 4, 2013
    Seems to me that some meaning of scenes is still mystic and open to interpretation. David Lynch is the only one genius bring me fuzz even after 10-time re-watch.
  4. Feb 22, 2013
    People who can understand the story and the behind-story meaning will know that this is a masterpiece! But i saw many people lack the ability of thinking keep putting dumb review on this, really pathetic. If one know about Sigmund Freud the interpretation of Dream" you would know how accurate the scenario Mulholland drive achieved, much better than some easy trick and twist movies. MostPeople who can understand the story and the behind-story meaning will know that this is a masterpiece! But i saw many people lack the ability of thinking keep putting dumb review on this, really pathetic. If one know about Sigmund Freud the interpretation of Dream" you would know how accurate the scenario Mulholland drive achieved, much better than some easy trick and twist movies. Most important is people don't get that the secret of the blue key and what Diane represented for. If you don't understand, watch more and you would find the key, not for Diane, its for you Expand
  5. Jan 17, 2014
    The obscure magnum opus of one of the greatest. Kaleidoscopic puzzle of uncompromising beauty. Unsettling experience that lingers on you. A true masterpiece.
  6. Aug 27, 2010
    David Lynch presents his greatest stride, giving us a surrealist pop dream that is as irresistible as it is confounding, raising a huge middle finger to Hollywood conventions while never compromising entertainment. The movie stands on its own just fine, but the more movies I watch, the more I see its influences: Bergman's "Persona," Godard's colorful capricious style, Fellini'sDavid Lynch presents his greatest stride, giving us a surrealist pop dream that is as irresistible as it is confounding, raising a huge middle finger to Hollywood conventions while never compromising entertainment. The movie stands on its own just fine, but the more movies I watch, the more I see its influences: Bergman's "Persona," Godard's colorful capricious style, Fellini's self-conscious abstractions, Buñuel's vicious humor. I wouldn't draw such grand comparisons if I felt they weren't earned, but Lynch delivers on every front, giving us a movie that is sure to leave you spellbound. Expand
  7. Mar 17, 2012
    A film that truly i do not know if i will ever fully understand,but every time i see it I get a little bit more of the puzzle together. It is a truly incredible film! The begining pulls you into certain details and completelt throws you off on the plot of the movie. However when it comes to the end of the film you know what you saw and where you saw it. The films visuals are key to theA film that truly i do not know if i will ever fully understand,but every time i see it I get a little bit more of the puzzle together. It is a truly incredible film! The begining pulls you into certain details and completelt throws you off on the plot of the movie. However when it comes to the end of the film you know what you saw and where you saw it. The films visuals are key to the film and they deliver 100 percent. If you are looking for a head scratching mind screwing movie Mulholland dr is for you. Expand
  8. Mar 25, 2012
    Mulholland Drive has no realistic sequences in it, the whole film takes place in a dream and like a dream, the film focuses on the emotions and makes sense in a very narrow way. That is what makes it such a power punch to experience.
  9. Dec 22, 2012
    This was voted by the LA Films Critic as the movie of the decade, and for good reason..It is one of the very few movies in which the pieces not only add up to much more than the whole, but also supersede it with a series of (for the most part) fascinating fragments...If you are looking for a linear structure and the typical hollywood garbage, where the story is neatly tied up - this is notThis was voted by the LA Films Critic as the movie of the decade, and for good reason..It is one of the very few movies in which the pieces not only add up to much more than the whole, but also supersede it with a series of (for the most part) fascinating fragments...If you are looking for a linear structure and the typical hollywood garbage, where the story is neatly tied up - this is not the movie for you..The symbolism, dream structure and the overall feeling in this movie is incredible -

For those of you who didnt "get" the movie - you can go on the internet and actually find out that about 95% of the movie can be easily explained..But if you think this movie is bad - you know ZERO about movies - and you are better off watching $hit like Inception..or any quinten tarentino movie David Lynch is amazing and so is this movie...I am so glad there are still true artists out there working today..I have personally not seen a better movie since watching this in 2001..Movie of the decade and one of the best movies ever made - touches parts of your soul and goes places where you never thought possible..You will not understand it the first time, and might not fully comprehend it on future viewings..leave logic at the door..open up your heart and soul and this movie will amaze you 10+++
  10. Aug 16, 2010
    One of David Lynch's best movies to date!! I think I've watched it a total of 11 times, and each time it gets me. When I first watched the movie, I walked out thinking, what the hell is this movie about. As I began to read articles online, I discovered what a piece of art this movie is. Naomi Watts is amazing. She is one of my favourite actors I always enjoy watching.
  11. Nov 6, 2011
    Its hard for a movie to get a perfect 10 in my book, but this movie did it... alot of mystery, very well paced and once you know whats happening the director mixes things around! Only for the viewer to use their brains to figure out whats happening. After 4 times of watching it I think I figured it out :-)
  12. Sep 27, 2012
    Masterpiece. Emotional and incredible feeling when you are watched this movie. So many thanks David Lynch. In my opinion Mulholland Dr. best movie ever.
  13. Nov 14, 2012
    After finishing the film for the first time, having been utterly enthralled by its captivating mystery, I was confused as to what actually occurred; and such represents the true beauty of the film. Following my third viewing, I felt as though the puzzle had been solved to some extent, and it was then that I realized quite how amazing this film really was. It is ultimately a romanticAfter finishing the film for the first time, having been utterly enthralled by its captivating mystery, I was confused as to what actually occurred; and such represents the true beauty of the film. Following my third viewing, I felt as though the puzzle had been solved to some extent, and it was then that I realized quite how amazing this film really was. It is ultimately a romantic tragedy of the greatest depth, tantalising in execution and devastating in its punchlines. Mulholland Dr. represents the Hollywood dream gone awry, the dangers of obsession, the power of fantasies and the deep emotional havoc sparked by regret and unrequited love. David Lynch is an artist. Expand
  14. Oct 6, 2010
    Mulholland Drive somehow mixes realism and surrealism together? Somehow leaves you wanting more? Somehow compels you to watch it again and again? How these affects occur is unknown. All I do know is that it is my favourite Lynch movie and is well worthy of its 'universal acclaim' tag. The brilliance of cinema in one film.
  15. Feb 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. David Lynch makes movies like no one else can, or should attempt. This is probably his best. This film is perplexing, dazzling, terrifying in parts. Each scene stands on its own but the whole forms a grand mystery. Is it a dream? if so whose? How many dreams, how many dreamers? is anything real?

I have my own theory but the film is strong enough to be revisited, for those that want form their own. However it should be stressed this movie is far more than a parlour game, it certainly does not have to be fully understood to be enjoyed.
  16. Jan 20, 2013
    David Lynch does and outstanding directing job in the complex thriller and mystery. Like the movie the acting gets better as the movie moves along. The problem is the movie is so complicated you don't really grasp the last 20 minutes because nothing really makes sense.
  17. Nov 12, 2012
    A brilliant film so intelligent and twisted, seeing it once is not enough. I have seen it four times, and after the third, I knew it was one of the most breathtaking, original, and wondrous films ever made. Naomi Watts delivers a flawless performance, and Mr. Lynch directs the film so carefully and precisely, you'll be blown away by the subtleties alone.
  18. Jul 2, 2014
    So far in my life, I've reviewed almost every movie that I've seen. however, I cannot possibly review "Mulholland Drive" for the simple fact that it is not a movie. It is a collection of incoherent, unrelated scenes that director David Lynch (I'm not sure if that's the right word for him) has sloppily pasted together like a 3rd grade science project into this muddled, 2 1/2 hour mess.So far in my life, I've reviewed almost every movie that I've seen. however, I cannot possibly review "Mulholland Drive" for the simple fact that it is not a movie. It is a collection of incoherent, unrelated scenes that director David Lynch (I'm not sure if that's the right word for him) has sloppily pasted together like a 3rd grade science project into this muddled, 2 1/2 hour mess. That's all I have to say. I can't recommend it or not recommend it, simply because it just isn't really what it says it is. Anyone who can come up with an explanation for what I just witnessed must have a great imagination. Expand
  19. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is really strange. I don't know what I understood and if that is correct but surely it is strange. I think that the first half until the two women changed places was a lie and it was all an idea and the reality was when they switched roles. But who knows only the cast I guess. As I thought the movie I liked it but I don't know it is really strange and complicated. Maybe the most complicated film ever It has many characters and it gets more complicated all the time. Really strange... Naomi Watts was really good in that film I really liked her. I don't know what else to say. It's not a waste of time for sure... Expand
  20. Sep 21, 2014
    I hated this movie. Now before everyone sends me off to the gallows I'd like to make a few things clear. I'm a very introspective filmgoer. My favorite movie's Inception. I also liked 12 Monkeys and with some effort was able to adequately follow it. Oh, I almost forgot how much I like The Usual Suspects. My point is I like densely plotted movies. I like thick atmosphere, and I enjoyI hated this movie. Now before everyone sends me off to the gallows I'd like to make a few things clear. I'm a very introspective filmgoer. My favorite movie's Inception. I also liked 12 Monkeys and with some effort was able to adequately follow it. Oh, I almost forgot how much I like The Usual Suspects. My point is I like densely plotted movies. I like thick atmosphere, and I enjoy cerebral concepts. Muholland Dr. though is in my opinion just pointless crap. The acting is for some reason purposefully unconvincing. I don't care if Lynch was making a statement about the insincerity of Hollywood, it just doesn't work. It also makes no sense. I'll admit that I fast forwarded a little once I got about an hour or so in, but I just couldn't take it. I couldn't grasp what was going on about 90% of the time. It tries so hard to be confusing and surreal that it becomes almost gag inducing. If it's all supposed to be a dream with no logic or rules to follow than at least make it interesting! This is in my opinion extremely pretentious trash. Sometimes it's moody and it's well shot, but it's not worth it. Will I ever see it again and change my opinions? I don't know, but rest assured that it won't be any time soon. Expand
  21. Nov 9, 2014
    When I first watched the movie in 2001 I was still hoping Lynch had actually something to say, despite the disappointment with Wild at heart. I was surprised by the high rating and good reviews this movie got, but finally when I watched the movie again tonight on TV I got the point: hot, young, naked actresses and plenty of lesbian sex. Watts and Harring starring as the mysterious Rita andWhen I first watched the movie in 2001 I was still hoping Lynch had actually something to say, despite the disappointment with Wild at heart. I was surprised by the high rating and good reviews this movie got, but finally when I watched the movie again tonight on TV I got the point: hot, young, naked actresses and plenty of lesbian sex. Watts and Harring starring as the mysterious Rita and Betty go all the way, titillating the viewers with their antics.

It is pointless to summarize the plot, since the movie switches into a different one two thirds into the story. Anybody can interpret the complete lack of logic in whichever way they want and then "accuse" whoever does not "get" it of being dumb. The point is, there is nothing to "get", apart from Lynch frustration, unleashed on paying audience, a plot that does not make any sense and a couple of good actresses, only one of them actually making a career out of this crappy movie.
  22. Apr 16, 2011
    If having to listen to someone tell you about a dream they had is the cliche that represents all boring conversations, I'm not sure why this movie receives acclaim. There certainly is some artistry involved in provoking an emotional response in his audience, and it does feel like being trapped in a dream, but as a loose sequence of non-linear mood-scapes, it feels like you're watching theIf having to listen to someone tell you about a dream they had is the cliche that represents all boring conversations, I'm not sure why this movie receives acclaim. There certainly is some artistry involved in provoking an emotional response in his audience, and it does feel like being trapped in a dream, but as a loose sequence of non-linear mood-scapes, it feels like you're watching the film equivalent of lazy abstract paintings that you're sure were painted by a cat. I found that it angered and bored me simultaneously. And dreams aren't supposed to go on that long. Expand
  23. Mar 31, 2012
    I do not understand this movie. Why did that one woman start speaking spanish? Why were not the plot points wrapped up? The worst movie in the world? It does not make any sense.
    It has got interesting scenes , that are kind of like art, and some weird characters and stuff, but it is like someone randomly edited 3 movies into one movie, and there is no connection to the various parts. Does not seem like an actual feature film at all, more like some film student mistake rolled into one big ball, with a few good scenes thrown in.
  24. Oct 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So many issues with this movie. First off the fact that the critics love this blows my mind if for no other reason than there is not a soul in this film that can act. This is the by far the worst acting I have ever seen in a critically acclaimed movie by a big time director. Second if anyone understood this movie upon first viewing I would be shocked. I love a movie that is ambiguous and twists and turns but never before in a viewing experience have I had to look up what a movie means without having an idea in my head of what I thought was going on. After I read some synopsis of the movie and discovered that more than likely most of the movie was a dream: 1. This never occurred to me once during my viewing. 2. It did not surprise me. 3. I did not care one bit. The only reason I give this movie more than a zero rating is because it did engage me enough that I was intrigued to see if the plot was leading somewhere. I guess it did, but certainly nowhere I cared to go. A must miss. Expand
  25. Apr 15, 2013
    This movie is just a load of complete nonsense. There are 3 or 4 plots intertwined which seem to have absolutely no relation with each other until the very underwhelming "twist" at the end, which ultimately left me with a a frustrated feeling because I felt that none of my questions were really truly answered. Another thing that left me frustrated was the fact that the movie barely gaveThis movie is just a load of complete nonsense. There are 3 or 4 plots intertwined which seem to have absolutely no relation with each other until the very underwhelming "twist" at the end, which ultimately left me with a a frustrated feeling because I felt that none of my questions were really truly answered. Another thing that left me frustrated was the fact that the movie barely gave the audience enough to deduce what was going on, it was as if the writers wanted us to just guess what happened in more than half the movie. On the good side, at least the acting was decent.

At the end of the day, you just feel like you wasted 2 hours of your life watching a movie that just tries too hard and over-complicates everything. Thanks David Lynch, but no thanks, I'll stick with "Memento".
  26. Dec 30, 2014
    This movie is boring. This is one of those movies that put the enlightened critics against the regular people, i couldnt stand it. You can accuse me of ignorant of whatever, ill say that some of my favourite movies are for example aronofsky s requiem & the fountain, even when they are crazy and they repeat scenes they got sense, a story and they are not showing images and saying "if youThis movie is boring. This is one of those movies that put the enlightened critics against the regular people, i couldnt stand it. You can accuse me of ignorant of whatever, ill say that some of my favourite movies are for example aronofsky s requiem & the fountain, even when they are crazy and they repeat scenes they got sense, a story and they are not showing images and saying "if you dont understand this you are ignorant".

Una peli aburrida. De esas que enfrentan a los críticos con la gente. Me pareció insoportable. Me podrán decir ignorante, pero algunas de mis peliculas favoritas son Requiem y la Fuente de Aronofsky, que a pesar de ser películas bastante peculiares tienen sentido, no se dedican a mostrarte imagenes para luego generar esta sensación de cine "solo para entendidos".
  27. Jun 24, 2013
    This is one of the best films I have ever seen. Not just because I enjoyed every minute, but I think it's one of the most accomplished story lines and it has some of the most beautiful and emotional scenes I've seen. This is not an airy-fairy abstract concept movie. It makes sense; you just have to think about it a lot. I've watched it twice in three days and I understand it a lot betterThis is one of the best films I have ever seen. Not just because I enjoyed every minute, but I think it's one of the most accomplished story lines and it has some of the most beautiful and emotional scenes I've seen. This is not an airy-fairy abstract concept movie. It makes sense; you just have to think about it a lot. I've watched it twice in three days and I understand it a lot better for it. IMDb has some excellent reviews if you really want to get to grips with it, but I'd recommend just giving it a go for yourself. As Roger Ebert said, this movie is like music: it runs on emotions. There are scenes that will shock you, scare you, scenes that drip with emotion and impact you heavily. If nothing else, you could take it as the sum of its parts and just enjoy it for the full range of different reactions it will provoke from you. It really is saddening to see how dismissive some people have been of this movie. As Lynch said, life is complicated, and so movies should be complicated too. Expand
  28. May 22, 2015
    I was hesitant coming into this one as my only prior exposure to David Lynch was Wild at Heart, which I completely despised. However, this one is decidedly better and most certainly worthy of the praise heaped upon it. Featuring a great starring turn from the always stellar Naomi Watts and great direction from Lynch, Mulholland Dr seems to be great proof that Lynch hates his audience andI was hesitant coming into this one as my only prior exposure to David Lynch was Wild at Heart, which I completely despised. However, this one is decidedly better and most certainly worthy of the praise heaped upon it. Featuring a great starring turn from the always stellar Naomi Watts and great direction from Lynch, Mulholland Dr seems to be great proof that Lynch hates his audience and typical storytelling conventions, which make for a great combination in this film. One of the most confusing puzzles I have ever come across in film, Mulholland Dr has some seriously great writing and manages to have numerous moving parts that it brings together quite nicely. Not all the pieces fit and it is hard to determine what the puzzle is actually of, but there's an answer somewhere. What the answer is, I have no idea, because I have no idea what I do not know at this point. The film really manages to set you up nicely and the pull the rug right out from under you with constant twists and turns that you do not expect that makes coming to a conclusion about what you just witnessed all the more difficult. All I know is that something sinister is afoot in Hollywood in this film that feels like a nightmare from beginning to end.

*SPOILERS*
    The best conclusion I can come up with is just a fragment of a singular conclusion. For one, it is certainly a comment on people coming to Hollywood who are entirely idealistic and how Hollywood corrupts them, messes with their mind, and makes them entirely jaded. In Hollywood, things seem to happen at random, but rather, they are controlled by a single entity who oversees everything and determines who will have success and who will not have success. The haves and have nots are ultimately determined by who gives in to those in power. If you do, your wildest dreams will come true. However, at the end of the day, to me the key to unlocking this box (lol) is Club Silencio. From that moment in the film on, things certainly take a turn and to fully understand this one, I think that serves as a good starting point. The answer is somewhere there, but what the answer is, I have no idea.
    *END SPOILERS*

Ultimately, Mulholland Dr is a fun film to sit down and try to dissect. It's a beautiful work that deserves the praise it has received in spades and will certainly be a film that keeps me thinking for a while after its ending.
  29. Sep 4, 2013
    Maybe I do not dig David Lynch's style, probably this is not my piece of cake or the movie is just screwed up. A lot of bizarre stuff happening along. A lot of characters whose storylines lead nowhere. Some scenes look out of place, some of them I couldn't take seriously. You start to realize what is happening just about when the movie ends, but still there is a ton of unexplained andMaybe I do not dig David Lynch's style, probably this is not my piece of cake or the movie is just screwed up. A lot of bizarre stuff happening along. A lot of characters whose storylines lead nowhere. Some scenes look out of place, some of them I couldn't take seriously. You start to realize what is happening just about when the movie ends, but still there is a ton of unexplained and obscure stuff. Overall the movie is worth watching because it has become a cult classic and everyone should have his own opinion on it. Expand
  30. May 1, 2014
    我不明白臭狗屎。什麼他媽的是這部電影呢?典型的大衛·林奇。

That's what I got from this film ^.
    Gets at least an 8 for that amazing lesbian scene. But, this is a brilliant film, regardless, even if I didn't understand **** Standard David Lynch
  31. May 25, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you thought anything can be so difficult to understand than Memento, try David Lynch's most bizarre masterpiece up to date, Mulholland Drive.

When I first saw this movie, I felt confused at first but amazed by what a twist this Lynch Flick had to offer.

A hidden-well dimensional new masterpiece that tends to distract a viewer. but even though it has some confusing elements and weird directing decisions nothing can resist me to watch everything unfold and get well put into place unexpectedly, as so to understand the film.

Lynch crafts together a requiem of a darker part of Hollywood, a nightmarish city with a dark underworld of greedy and ambitious movie making business men, an amnesiac (Laura Harring), a rising actress with a dream where she has nothing to lose (Naomi Watts), a mysterious cowboy who seems to be in control over everything, a creepy hobo in the alleyway with a secret, collide together to reveal a haunting mystery that tends to question if the life your living in right now is really an illusion.

Hard to recommend, since I don't anyone who would give Lynch a chance but I have to say this is the greatest neo-noir I have seen and must admit better than Blue Velvet, its like no other mystery I have to see twice (except maybe the Matrix and Inception).

Weird but exquisite!

Lynch's Hollywood is a grand old girl, but she's one with some very treacherous curves. To trace the contours of her sensuality, you need a camera as sensitive as a set of fingertips. Lynch's is.
  2. Like "Memento," Mulholland Drive is an amnesiac noir in the tradition that goes back to "Spellbound" and "Somewhere in the Night."
  3. It will frustrate viewers who like stories to make instant sense, but fans of provocative puzzles will have mind-teasing fun.