Mulholland Dr.

6.7

1. Jun 24, 2013
    This is one of the best films I have ever seen. Not just because I enjoyed every minute, but I think it's one of the most accomplished story lines and it has some of the most beautiful and emotional scenes I've seen. This is not an airy-fairy abstract concept movie. It makes sense; you just have to think about it a lot. I've watched it twice in three days and I understand it a lot betterThis is one of the best films I have ever seen. Not just because I enjoyed every minute, but I think it's one of the most accomplished story lines and it has some of the most beautiful and emotional scenes I've seen. This is not an airy-fairy abstract concept movie. It makes sense; you just have to think about it a lot. I've watched it twice in three days and I understand it a lot better for it. IMDb has some excellent reviews if you really want to get to grips with it, but I'd recommend just giving it a go for yourself. As Roger Ebert said, this movie is like music: it runs on emotions. There are scenes that will shock you, scare you, scenes that drip with emotion and impact you heavily. If nothing else, you could take it as the sum of its parts and just enjoy it for the full range of different reactions it will provoke from you. It really is saddening to see how dismissive some people have been of this movie. As Lynch said, life is complicated, and so movies should be complicated too. Expand
  2. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is really strange. I don't know what I understood and if that is correct but surely it is strange. I think that the first half until the two women changed places was a lie and it was all an idea and the reality was when they switched roles. But who knows only the cast I guess. As I thought the movie I liked it but I don't know it is really strange and complicated. Maybe the most complicated film ever It has many characters and it gets more complicated all the time. Really strange... Naomi Watts was really good in that film I really liked her. I don't know what else to say. It's not a waste of time for sure... Expand
  3. MarkM.
    Sep 9, 2002
    Inexplicable but compelling.
  4. JonathanS.
    Dec 19, 2002
    Definitely in my top 5 movies. Also, I recently met Justin Theroux at a concert. Nice guy to boot!
  5. May 22, 2015
    I was hesitant coming into this one as my only prior exposure to David Lynch was Wild at Heart, which I completely despised. However, this one is decidedly better and most certainly worthy of the praise heaped upon it. Featuring a great starring turn from the always stellar Naomi Watts and great direction from Lynch, Mulholland Dr seems to be great proof that Lynch hates his audience andI was hesitant coming into this one as my only prior exposure to David Lynch was Wild at Heart, which I completely despised. However, this one is decidedly better and most certainly worthy of the praise heaped upon it. Featuring a great starring turn from the always stellar Naomi Watts and great direction from Lynch, Mulholland Dr seems to be great proof that Lynch hates his audience and typical storytelling conventions, which make for a great combination in this film. One of the most confusing puzzles I have ever come across in film, Mulholland Dr has some seriously great writing and manages to have numerous moving parts that it brings together quite nicely. Not all the pieces fit and it is hard to determine what the puzzle is actually of, but there's an answer somewhere. What the answer is, I have no idea, because I have no idea what I do not know at this point. The film really manages to set you up nicely and the pull the rug right out from under you with constant twists and turns that you do not expect that makes coming to a conclusion about what you just witnessed all the more difficult. All I know is that something sinister is afoot in Hollywood in this film that feels like a nightmare from beginning to end.

*SPOILERS*
    The best conclusion I can come up with is just a fragment of a singular conclusion. For one, it is certainly a comment on people coming to Hollywood who are entirely idealistic and how Hollywood corrupts them, messes with their mind, and makes them entirely jaded. In Hollywood, things seem to happen at random, but rather, they are controlled by a single entity who oversees everything and determines who will have success and who will not have success. The haves and have nots are ultimately determined by who gives in to those in power. If you do, your wildest dreams will come true. However, at the end of the day, to me the key to unlocking this box (lol) is Club Silencio. From that moment in the film on, things certainly take a turn and to fully understand this one, I think that serves as a good starting point. The answer is somewhere there, but what the answer is, I have no idea.
    *END SPOILERS*

Ultimately, Mulholland Dr is a fun film to sit down and try to dissect. It's a beautiful work that deserves the praise it has received in spades and will certainly be a film that keeps me thinking for a while after its ending.
  6. DeWahaS.
    Jan 11, 2002
    Lynch's best work ever. Creepy, strange, ludicrous, absorbing, erotic, suspenseful...simply unforgettable.
  7. AliciaR.
    Apr 22, 2002
    This guy below me who says this movie didn't make sense, does not know what he's talking about. I saw the movie and after the second time I was able to put it all together and see how well Lynch put this movie together. This movie makes sense and is brilliant!!!!!! Just use your own brain, and you'll get it!
  8. KiL.
    Jun 15, 2002
    I agree with The Moviegoer - this is a great, intruiging, initially baffling movie which (I think) definitely has a complete explanation. The key scene unlocking the mystery for me was when the Cowboy "spoke" to Naomi Watts...
  9. Sammy
    May 9, 2005
    WOW! a must watch movie!
  10. Megan
    Jan 12, 2002
    I loved the confusion, it gives you lots to think about. Those who gave it lower ratings obvioulsy aren't great thinkers!
  11. Sep 4, 2013
    Maybe I do not dig David Lynch's style, probably this is not my piece of cake or the movie is just screwed up. A lot of bizarre stuff happening along. A lot of characters whose storylines lead nowhere. Some scenes look out of place, some of them I couldn't take seriously. You start to realize what is happening just about when the movie ends, but still there is a ton of unexplained andMaybe I do not dig David Lynch's style, probably this is not my piece of cake or the movie is just screwed up. A lot of bizarre stuff happening along. A lot of characters whose storylines lead nowhere. Some scenes look out of place, some of them I couldn't take seriously. You start to realize what is happening just about when the movie ends, but still there is a ton of unexplained and obscure stuff. Overall the movie is worth watching because it has become a cult classic and everyone should have his own opinion on it. Expand
  12. May 1, 2014
    我不明白臭狗屎。什麼他媽的是這部電影呢?典型的大衛·林奇。

That's what I got from this film ^.
    Gets at least an 8 for that amazing lesbian scene. But, this is a brilliant film, regardless, even if I didn't understand **** Standard David Lynch
  13. Jun 24, 2015
    If you thought anything can be so difficult to understand than Lost Highway, try David Lynch's most bizarre masterpiece up to date, Mulholland Drive.

When I first saw this movie, I felt confused at first but amazed by what a twist this Lynch Flick had to offer. puts the viewer in a mystery unlike anything they have seen. but even though it has Lynch's seal of weirdness and bizzarity

puts the viewer in a mystery unlike anything they have seen. but even though it has Lynch's seal of weirdness and bizzarity nothing can resist me to watch everything unfold and get well put into place unexpectedly, as so to understand the film.

Lynch crafts together a requiem of a darker part of Hollywood, in a surreal styled portrait thats more of a homage to Alfred Hitchcock, Billy Wilder, and Rod Serling, a twilight zone styled Hollywood with a dark underbelly of greedy and ambitious movie making business men, an amnesiac who goes by the name of "Rita" (Laura Harring), a rising wannabe actress with a dream where she has nothing to lose (Naomi Watts), a mysterious cowboy who seems to be in control over everything, a creepy deformed human in the alleyway with a secret, collide together to reveal a haunting mystery that tends to question the unexplainable weirdness that you won't be prepared to understand.... yet.

Hard to recommend, since I don't know anyone who would give Lynch a chance but I have to say this is one of the greatest and most recent neo-noir I have seen and must admit better than Blue Velvet, its like no other mystery That you will have to see twice
  14. Oct 5, 2015
    Mulholland Dr. does not have to be understood to be an interesting experience. I still do not completely understand it, but get something more out of it each time I watch it, and always enjoy the distinctive style and vibe (reminiscent of 80s music videos, but with a 90s mood). One gets the impression that it is not a cheap, gimmicky mystery but rather it is somehow coherent and that makesMulholland Dr. does not have to be understood to be an interesting experience. I still do not completely understand it, but get something more out of it each time I watch it, and always enjoy the distinctive style and vibe (reminiscent of 80s music videos, but with a 90s mood). One gets the impression that it is not a cheap, gimmicky mystery but rather it is somehow coherent and that makes it open to rewatchings and discussion. It is like a jigsaw puzzle you cannot finish, because it seems like pieces are missing from it, but you later come back and find there are few more and fit them in. The performance by Naomi Watts contributes to the rewatchability of the film. A film about illusions needs a convincing character to be believed. Expand
  15. May 23, 2016
    In the last 20 years, this would be my favorite film. There is something about this that is unforgettable. I can't really describe what it is about this film that continues to fascinate and please me. But it does and if you haven't seen it, please do. And if you don't like it, please don't talk to me about cinema. We're not on the same page.

Lynch's Hollywood is a grand old girl, but she's one with some very treacherous curves. To trace the contours of her sensuality, you need a camera as sensitive as a set of fingertips. Lynch's is.
  2. Like "Memento," Mulholland Drive is an amnesiac noir in the tradition that goes back to "Spellbound" and "Somewhere in the Night."
  3. It will frustrate viewers who like stories to make instant sense, but fans of provocative puzzles will have mind-teasing fun.