7.6

1. Jun 20, 2014
    Far more than just a "decent" movie, Steven Spielberg's examination of Israel's plot to avenge the death of 11 of their athletes caused by Palestinian terrorists in "Munich" is a truly fantastic thriller stuffed with relentless plans and explosions that would surely leave you breathless after full-time watch while, at the same time, successfully managing to leave space for humanity as theFar more than just a "decent" movie, Steven Spielberg's examination of Israel's plot to avenge the death of 11 of their athletes caused by Palestinian terrorists in "Munich" is a truly fantastic thriller stuffed with relentless plans and explosions that would surely leave you breathless after full-time watch while, at the same time, successfully managing to leave space for humanity as the undercover agents begin to question the righteousness of what they are doing. Expand
  2. Alex
    Dec 16, 2005
    Family Entertainment at its finest! The show won me over when Bana's character and his band of assassins took off into the air on their bikes! Pure movie magic at its finest!
  3. AndreA.
    Dec 19, 2005
    Excellent. People who have strong biases either way will not enjoy this movie because it does not have enough red meat for either side (Palestine vs. Israel). But that's the point. There was a movie a long time ago called WarGames. The computer became self-aware and it looked for a moment like it would launch missles and blow up the whole world. With suitable wisdom, it concluded Excellent. People who have strong biases either way will not enjoy this movie because it does not have enough red meat for either side (Palestine vs. Israel). But that's the point. There was a movie a long time ago called WarGames. The computer became self-aware and it looked for a moment like it would launch missles and blow up the whole world. With suitable wisdom, it concluded that the only way to win was not to play. When you see this movie, you'll see the parallel I'm drawing. Expand
  4. abhim.
    Best movie of the year.
  5. LarryH.
    Dec 22, 2005
    This is one of Spielberg's very best films. It is strong, haunting, and impeccably made. There's not a lot of validity in some of the criticisms.
  6. jwh
    Dec 22, 2005
    In response to RadioLady, and especially Squall, it would help if you actually *knew* your history instead of just echoing your "feelings" (which MUST be what's moral and true... right?!?!?) . Israel DID target people who had no direct connection to the attacks b/c they had a hard time locating the terrorists. Does this mean thinkiing people (thinking, Squall, thinking) condemn In response to RadioLady, and especially Squall, it would help if you actually *knew* your history instead of just echoing your "feelings" (which MUST be what's moral and true... right?!?!?) . Israel DID target people who had no direct connection to the attacks b/c they had a hard time locating the terrorists. Does this mean thinkiing people (thinking, Squall, thinking) condemn Israel or think they were as "low" as Black September - no way. Spielberg does the (gasp) unthinkable and actually adds some moral complexity instead of the good/evil extremes that people want to believe (I mean, c'mon America would only torture bad guys, and the bad guys, well, they really *torture*) who follow the Bush-Cheney crowd like lemmings off the moral relativism cliff while claiming moral superiority. Far from being a Hollywood Shill, Spielberg treats a historic event with complexity, care and shades of grey. Expand
  7. NealB.
    Dec 24, 2005
    Leaves you thinking. What is the benefit of these revenge kilings? Did it prevent - or perpetuate - future violence? In the context of 9/11, how does this fit? Is right and wrong, good and evil always a matter of perspective, or is there such a thing as moral / ethical clarity? A movie absolutely worth seeing.
  8. Tonydannie
    Dec 25, 2005
    Usually, I have alot to say about a movie That I really Liked. And believe me. I liked this movie alot. But I honestly cannot express how much. After seeing this film, it took me a while to shake it off. It stayed with me for a long time! And it has been over 24 hours now. Go see this film! Another Cinematic achievment By the Master. Steven Spielberg.
  9. CesarN.
    Dec 25, 2005
    Best film of 2005, an emotional experience you will never forget.
  10. S.Gold
    Dec 25, 2005
    To disagree with a truthfulness of a story is okay (even if it's true) but to stop it from enjoying the film is retarded, so don't listen to those people. It may seem preachy to goyim, but to anyone who actually understands the issue at hand should be proud of the middle ground that this film impressively takes. It works on so many levels including an action film. Great acting, To disagree with a truthfulness of a story is okay (even if it's true) but to stop it from enjoying the film is retarded, so don't listen to those people. It may seem preachy to goyim, but to anyone who actually understands the issue at hand should be proud of the middle ground that this film impressively takes. It works on so many levels including an action film. Great acting, directing, script and not overlong even though it's close to 3 hours. Expand
  11. ZakT.
    Dec 26, 2005
    There are several great performances in the film, particularly from Bana and Kassovitz, and I was impressed at Spielberg's intention to humanize both sides of the conflict, when it would have been easy to demonize the hunted arabs. The pacing was excellent and only one bad scene in the whole movie.
  12. BrettR.
    Dec 26, 2005
    The best movie of the year. It assumes the audience is intelligent, which is rare in Hollywood, and there is a fantastic showing by Eric Bana. I was very impressed with the entire picture.
  13. Jan
    Dec 26, 2005
    At last, we see a film from an awesome Director who is bold enough to see the human sides of those who kill and those who are killed, and who dares to prompt up moral questions to why decent people should support extended vengeful killings. This film is filled with unforgettable moments to intrigue the viewers. A truly complex movie with phenomenal direction, and stunning performances At last, we see a film from an awesome Director who is bold enough to see the human sides of those who kill and those who are killed, and who dares to prompt up moral questions to why decent people should support extended vengeful killings. This film is filled with unforgettable moments to intrigue the viewers. A truly complex movie with phenomenal direction, and stunning performances from the overall cast Expand
  14. BobH.
    Dec 27, 2005
    Terrific film, complex depiction of moral politics of antiterrorism.
  15. joshs.
    Dec 27, 2005
    Not only Speilburgs tightest film in ages, but like all great films about human history it offers no answers and takes no sides. Instead it just tells the story of what did or might have happened to people caught up in something beyond their understandings. No director has ever had so much fun with windshields and mirrors.
  16. JackD.
    Dec 27, 2005
    It is so good (one of the best of the year) that I am going to forgive Spielberg for "War of the Worlds" (one of the worst of the year).
  17. aviL
    Dec 27, 2005
    Thought it was excellently done- the continous montages of the tragic events that occured at the olypmics gave me chills up and down my spine.
  18. LarryS.
    Dec 29, 2005
    Excellent film! Cast, writing and direction were all extremely well done. Nice to have a film where you have to think! Quite frankly those who rated the film poorly would have been better off seeing Cheaper by the Dozen 2 or King Kong.
  19. VisheshC.
    Dec 29, 2005
    Good movie. Realistic, subtle message. Even more fascinating because it is based of real stories.
  20. MarcD.
    Dec 30, 2005
    Powerful film. The conversation between Avner and the Palestinian at the "safe" house was provocative -- reminicent of the conversation between M. Whalberg & the Republican Guard torture-inflictor in "Three Kings." Excellent cast, and if Bana isn't up for best lead actor in March, I'll be disappointed.
  21. DJI.
    Dec 30, 2005
    Best movie of the year. The people who hate the movie, and complain about the "moral parallels" or "moral equivalency" that the film draws between terrorists and assassins are being irrational and stupid. The movie simply portrays acts as they could have occurred, in a way that forces you to see how the act of killing for an abstract cause, using the devil's tools, has consequences. Best movie of the year. The people who hate the movie, and complain about the "moral parallels" or "moral equivalency" that the film draws between terrorists and assassins are being irrational and stupid. The movie simply portrays acts as they could have occurred, in a way that forces you to see how the act of killing for an abstract cause, using the devil's tools, has consequences. It's not like Bana's voice or any character in the movie's voice is the filmmaker's!! Even the scene with the terrorist and Bana debating on the staircase... Spielberg is not telling us that their arguments are equally valid. They're just expressing their characters' views. You'd have to be dimwitted to think that Spielberg is telling you what to think. Film techniques, changing of the color timing and film stock is understated, and brilliant, really making some scenes feel hyper-real, others pulling us into the 70s... and showing us the passage of time. Spielberg is masterful with that. You just jump time and place in the world in this movie and you never feel disoriented. Cast is brilliant. Best movie of the year. For me, what I took out of the movie was less political, and more along the lines of personal ethics and the fact that there are costs to bending the rules... not that this should STOP us from pragmatic acts at times for self preservation... just that we should not rationalize the evil we do when our hand is forced. Which was something I've believed always anyway. Expand
  22. GrahamM.
    Dec 31, 2005
    This is the best film of 2005, definately. very intelligent.
  23. FrancescoS
    Dec 31, 2005
    Out and out the best Movie of the year!! Bravo! Mature, Complex, Involving, Brilliant, Challenging & Beautifully made. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Spielberg's Best. He's a Genious. A "Must See".
  24. MorganaT.
    Jan 1, 2006
    I have been no fan of Speilberg's but this film is incredible. By far the best thing he's done. Multi-layered, using every actor to his best, and no cop out ending, this film makes you think about issues that are controversial in a very personal way. Best film of the year!
  25. TonyB.
    Jan 2, 2006
    I haven't seen all of 2005's biggies yet, but I think they will have to go some to beat Munich. It is the year's finest so far. The film is best appreciated by approaching it on two levels; it's a bloody, sexy political thriller and a study of a moral/ethical dilemma. Extremely well-acted, directed, photographed, edited, designed and scored, it is a superb piece of I haven't seen all of 2005's biggies yet, but I think they will have to go some to beat Munich. It is the year's finest so far. The film is best appreciated by approaching it on two levels; it's a bloody, sexy political thriller and a study of a moral/ethical dilemma. Extremely well-acted, directed, photographed, edited, designed and scored, it is a superb piece of filmmaking that, and this has become an increasingly rare thing in American films, treats its audience with the respect that some of us think we deserve. Expand
  26. GilbertoR.
    Jan 6, 2006
    I was crestfallen by the end of this film, for it powerfully showed me how useless protests against any government are when only a portion of the population proves it is paying attention to the ways of the world by involving themselves in street-marching. Unfortunately, according to some of the reviews I've read, this film flies over the heads of many who are too biased or not I was crestfallen by the end of this film, for it powerfully showed me how useless protests against any government are when only a portion of the population proves it is paying attention to the ways of the world by involving themselves in street-marching. Unfortunately, according to some of the reviews I've read, this film flies over the heads of many who are too biased or not intellectually rigorous enough to see that this is more than a Lennon-esque "give peace a chance" tome. What this film does is provide a disturbingly strong argument for an anarchic world that is free from the politically minded. To me, this film argues something quite simple, that we should enjoy each moment on this earth; and something profound, that the world would be better off if governments and nation-states disappeared. The alternative to the present would be a communal planet in which people are people, regardless of creed, color, gender, etc. are equal. Those who argue this film is something other than a thoughtful and profound statement on the regrettable fact that people can be deceived into enthonocentrism all too easily by colorful flags and Toby Keith songs are simply not thinking about this movie soberly. Expand
  27. GaborA.
    Jan 7, 2006
    Though it can't be it is obvious that this movie strives for unbiasedness. It seems most viewers dont see it that way but that is attributed to their own biases. Ontop of that. Out of the million or so scenes encompassing all those settings around the world almost all of them worked. With that accomplishment this film gets my vote for best of the year.
    Jan 7, 2006
    I'm pretty sure this guy, Tal L. has not seen the movie and is just trashing it because he can. Obviously, it's a matter of opinion what he thinks of the film in it's point of view and the stand it takes against vengeance. But to say the movie is not technically proficient is just a stupid, nonsense, invalid remark. I feel sorry for people like him...but well, is his loss.
  29. MegA.
    Jan 8, 2006
    The best movie of the year....... Spielberg's finest!
  30. JosiahR.
    Jan 9, 2006
    Compelling.

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    A superbly taut and well-made thriller that jumps from Geneva to Rome, from Paris to Beirut, from Athens to Brooklyn, each lethal assignment staged with a mastery Hitchcock might envy.
    Bana is magnificent in the role.
  3. A mesmerizing, richly nuanced inquiry into Israel's revenge of the Munich massacre of its athletes.