6.6

1. Apr 21, 2015
    Mystic River is an excellent movie based on the novel of the same name. The film is anchored by a strong cast containing some of the best actors of he past 20 years. Sean Penn delivers one of his strongest performances and wins his first Oscar. Really the early 2000'sare the years where Sean Penn could do no wrong. Tim Robbins also shines as a mysterious character who was also worthy of anMystic River is an excellent movie based on the novel of the same name. The film is anchored by a strong cast containing some of the best actors of he past 20 years. Sean Penn delivers one of his strongest performances and wins his first Oscar. Really the early 2000'sare the years where Sean Penn could do no wrong. Tim Robbins also shines as a mysterious character who was also worthy of an Oscar for best supporting actor. It was the first time since 1959 that the winners of Best Actor and Supporting Actor were in the same film. The cast is rounded out by Kevin Bacon, Laurence Fishburne and Marcia Gay Harden. Mystic River is a dark story and a dark film but it could not be displayed any other way. Clint Eastwood who was on the top of his game in the directors chair at this point in his career as well shows that he is a jack of trades in film. Expand
  2. Apr 17, 2015
    Impressive! I love Sean Penn, he's one of the most incredible actors and directors in hollywood. This movie is like a virus. You have to see it over and over again. Brilliant!
  3. Feb 18, 2015
    changeling is far better.........,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,..........................................................,,,,,.no moral at all
  4. Jan 14, 2015
    Mystic River is a great movie. It's that simple. Great directing by Clint Eastwood, wonderful acting, and overall a fulfilling and haunting story that leaves an impression on you forever.
  5. Aug 25, 2014
    Mystic River is haunting in absolutely every way. There isn't a human truth Clint Eastwood does not successfully touch on and move you with. It's thrilling... and certainly an ensemble to be remembered.
  6. May 8, 2014
    Eastwood's Mystic River haunts you for days, it just breaks your heart in half. Sean Penn, Tim Robbins and Kevin Bacon put on career-best performances.
  7. Mar 19, 2014
    This one is tragically beautiful. What this one did really well is instill the dark mood as loss in many different ways acts like a fog that covers the entire film. Overall, the story is really interesting. On the surface, it is simply a crime thriller where they try to find out who did it and what not, but it is also a representation of human suffering and tragedy. In many ways, it showsThis one is tragically beautiful. What this one did really well is instill the dark mood as loss in many different ways acts like a fog that covers the entire film. Overall, the story is really interesting. On the surface, it is simply a crime thriller where they try to find out who did it and what not, but it is also a representation of human suffering and tragedy. In many ways, it shows how these three troubled boys are not unscathed by the things that have happened to them and how all of them have suffered and will suffer profound losses that consume them entirely. I think the script by Brian Helgeland was fantastic and the direction from Clint Eastwood was really good as well. However, the real star is Sean Penn. I thought Tim Robbins and Kevin Bacon were pretty good in their roles here, but Sean Penn stole the entire show. His performance was absolutely marvelous and he really drew you into him, which makes his role in the film all the more believable. It is not surprise that he won for Best Actor.

In terms of complaints, I see a lot of user reviews calling this one boring and slow, ham-handed, pretentious, and predictable. The only one I can sort of agree with is predictable, though I did not figure it out until the people in the film did (well, part of it, I figured out one part of it early on, but I think we were supposed to). Plus, I do not have a problem with predictability. In addition, this one was anything but boring. It is slow, yes, but it was a perfect showcase of acting and script-driven film. The intensity and sadness of this one were also top-notch and really helped quell any boredom that may set in. As for it being ham-handed or pretentious, no. I honestly do not understand that criticism at all. At no point did I ever find it to be either of those things. It tries to tackle bigger purposes, yes, but that does not mean it is pretentious, especially when it covers it well.
  8. Dec 23, 2013
    Mystic river has plenty of good acting but nothing interesting to say. The movies pace is too slow and in the end I felt empty because the film itself is empty; it's devoid of ideas, meaning, and purpose.
  9. Dec 2, 2013
    Absolutely massive movie.With the right collaboration.The movie makes another space in the mind to think about misunderstanding. Awesome directing by Clint Eastwood.
  10. Nov 29, 2013
    you can sum up Mystic River by two things only, weird and far away from reality.
    i mean it's like watching a movie by Paul Thomas Anderson.
    because everything that the characters do in this movie is the exact opposite from what people do in these types of situations. my point is you can't relate to these characters actions at all. a man just told his wife that he killed the wrong guy,
    i mean it's like watching a movie by Paul Thomas Anderson.
    my point is you can't relate to these characters actions at all. a man just told his wife that he killed the wrong guy, and the wife tell him, "that what kings do", WHAT.
    and the innocent man who got killed confessed about a crime he didn't commit for no obvious reason, and the people who actually did the murder have no motive at all.
    and it's keep getting weirder and weirder to the point that you keep scratching your head after the movie ends.
    i mean seriously Clint Eastwood.
    and i can't understand why Tim Robbins nabbed an Oscar for best actor, all what he ever did was few face expressions and 4 or 5 lines.
    and Clint Eastwood stretched some scenes way too much so you can relate to the performances but it was iffy and cold for all of them.
  11. Jul 26, 2013
    It's funny, because a lot of times you'll hear people say "I didn't like that movie because I couldn't root for any of the characters." A lot of people feel that way about this film. All of the characters, in their own way, do bad things. Some are worse than others, yes, but there is no one who you want to "win," because this is a movie where no one wins. The ending is terribly sad, andIt's funny, because a lot of times you'll hear people say "I didn't like that movie because I couldn't root for any of the characters." A lot of people feel that way about this film. All of the characters, in their own way, do bad things. Some are worse than others, yes, but there is no one who you want to "win," because this is a movie where no one wins. The ending is terribly sad, and you walk out of the movie so shocked and dismayed at what happened, because even if you don't root for anyone, you still care so deeply about the characters. You still want the best for them, even if you can't root for them, if you can't stand beside them and say "I stand for the same ideals that this person stand for." You want to know who killed Katie, and you don't want it to be Dave, but do you root for Dave to win? Do you root against whoever you think killed Katie? No. This is an incredibly difficult film to watch, and it will not make you smile. It will make your heart sink, and your eyes tear up. It is so very powerful, and delivers such a strong message, it remains impossible not to watch. The acting is phenomenal, and while both Penn and Robbins won Oscars, the show is stolen by Robbins, who turns in one of the best supporting performances I've ever seen (on par with something out of the Godfather). From the opening scene, with those 3 boys playing hockey in the street, until the closing credits, it is relentless. But it is phenomenal. Expand
  12. Jun 30, 2013
    Mystic River is a very good film but is let down by a story-line that appears to be slightly all over the place and a couple of plot-holes (just my opinion). However, it is a solid, powerful movie and hats off to Clint Eastwood. The actors play their characters very well, especially Kevin Bacon, I really like his character. Definitely worthy of a Best Picture Nomination.
  13. Jan 1, 2013
    Absolutely loved this movie. Well acted, Kept you interested from start to finish, and it was really good. I am suprised that users have rated it so low.
  14. Nov 13, 2012
    One of the most powerful American films of the decade, Mystic River is hypnotic and unforgettable.
  15. Nov 13, 2012
    Friggin' yes! A mid-tempo and ominous thrill ride, overcast from beginning to end by a shadow of dark things to come. Also, one of the best acting ensembles I've seen. Clint Eastwood is the man, and Mystic River is just another sparkling example.
  16. Oct 1, 2012
    Sean Penn, Tim Robbins and Kevin Bacon, great actors .
  17. Apr 5, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic! I don't understand why people find it bad! I don't often trust the 'Oscar winner' type of movies, but this movie deserved the award! The actors were all formidable! you couldn't ask for a better cast, because this film has a deluxe- cast! I think some people are usually biased thinking that a big Hollywood movie, is either 'bad' or 'overrated' and, quite frankly, thatAbsolutely fantastic! I don't understand why people find it bad! I don't often trust the 'Oscar winner' type of movies, but this movie deserved the award! The actors were all formidable! you couldn't ask for a better cast, because this film has a deluxe- cast! I think some people are usually biased thinking that a big Hollywood movie, is either 'bad' or 'overrated' and, quite frankly, that type of attitude doesn't help a person to appreciate a movie for what it is. I am sorry but I disagree...Hollywood has good and bad movies, same happens in Europe, Latin America, Asia, Africa, and my dear Australia! so just because this is a USA blockbuster it doesn't mean is a bad movie...and I am not American, but YEAH, I firmly believe this is an excellent movie! Expand
  18. Apr 1, 2012
    First off, this is a 9.5 out of 10. Acting is amazing. Mainly Sean Penn and Tim Robbins. Score is good. Story is great. Real thrilling story. I agree a lot with what spadenx, except the ending. It's all right but he kills an innocent man and they just like " oh well". That makes me aggravated. Still a great movie. Overall, this is a great thriller. It'll keep you on guessing. Highly recommended.
  19. Dec 15, 2011
    People are idiots, SImple as that. Mystic River is a great film - Great acting by the cast, Interesting story, and a very satisfying ending. Sean Penn and Tim Robbins are untouchable in this.
  20. Nov 24, 2011
    I have watched this film countless times and I still love it. It has a great story, great acting, and its just an overall great film that I love. This is a must see.
  21. Nov 15, 2011
    A mesmerizing experience as MR keeps you glued to your seat with a stimulating adventure, ideal character development, and epic performances. MUST WATCH!
  22. Mar 4, 2011
    It was on TV recently and talk about not able to hold my attention. I popped in now and then to see if I could stand it as there was nothing else on. Bad.
  23. Dec 30, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film blew me away. At first, you feel for Jimmy, then you slowly grow to hate him. Terrible events always seem to bring these three friends together and I felt like I had been punched in the face when it had finished. Sean Penn brings this energy that feels like the most powerful energy a man can emit. Tim Robbins made me feel so bad for the character of Dave. He did a great job of portraying the mentally deteriorated rape victim. Dave was the character that made me feel so sad. He is like the ultimate hero and ultimate victim of this whole movie. Jimmy's daughter may have been the one that was killed, but Dave was raped as a child, kills a pedophile in the act of molestation, is blamed for the murder of the daughter and is then killed by one of his childhood friends in an act of vengeance. I don't care how big of a stupid loose cannon Jimmy is. I felt like the death of his daughter was almost an excuse to get back into his old ways. I wish that Jimmy could get what was coming to him. Losing a loved one is painful, but this character has no excuse for murder. His accusations were purely based on blinding vengeance. I'm sure that several fathers would kill their daughters murderer which makes me feel like my incredible dislike for Jimmy is a little harsh. Look at this ramble! Eastwood just made me feel for his characters and got me emotionally indulged in his film. Such an accomplishment of acting by every character involved in this movie. Acted to perfection, directed to perfection and written to perfection, Mystic River touches on several issues of lost childhoods, loss and our relationships with others. I can't even think of better things to say about this movie, it was so good. Absolutely incredible film. Expand
  24. Oct 29, 2010
    Clint Eastwood promises a lot but does not deliver what he would have wanted to.Sean Penn & Tim Robbins steal the show by portraying their well written roles like only they can .Though the film does haunt you ,it leaves a lot of loose ends.That said, one cannot take any credit away from Eastwood who manages to deliver yet another rewarding experience though this is obviously not evenClint Eastwood promises a lot but does not deliver what he would have wanted to.Sean Penn & Tim Robbins steal the show by portraying their well written roles like only they can .Though the film does haunt you ,it leaves a lot of loose ends.That said, one cannot take any credit away from Eastwood who manages to deliver yet another rewarding experience though this is obviously not even anywhere near his best. Expand
  25. Orin
    Apr 26, 2010
    This is one of the best movies I've seen in the last ten years. Sean Penn's performance is completely masterful, you feel his raw energy whenever it's called for.
  26. ChristianD
    Jan 29, 2010
    This is hands-down the most depressing movie I've ever seen. Ever. That being said, though, it was really good. It was incredibly well-acted, the plot was great (albeit depressing, of course) and Clint Eastwood, as usual, put his directing talents to work. Although it was still really fucking depressing. Now that I think about it, and without trying to spoil it, the kids in this This is hands-down the most depressing movie I've ever seen. Ever. That being said, though, it was really good. It was incredibly well-acted, the plot was great (albeit depressing, of course) and Clint Eastwood, as usual, put his directing talents to work. Although it was still really fucking depressing. Now that I think about it, and without trying to spoil it, the kids in this movie will turn out like the adults in this movie, plagued by tragedy. Still. Depressing. Expand
  27. AMovieCritic
    Oct 26, 2009
    I'm a bit surprised to see the praise this movie's gotten, to be honest. I remember being furious that Sean Penn beat out Bill Murray for the Oscar that year but after finally seeing the movie I can admit that he did a fantastic job certainly worthy of an Academy Award. But the movie itself I can't understand the praise for. There's plenty of gritty and realistic I'm a bit surprised to see the praise this movie's gotten, to be honest. I remember being furious that Sean Penn beat out Bill Murray for the Oscar that year but after finally seeing the movie I can admit that he did a fantastic job certainly worthy of an Academy Award. But the movie itself I can't understand the praise for. There's plenty of gritty and realistic dialogue here and all of it very well-acted but. Expand
  28. Steven
    Jul 7, 2008
    Anyone who gave this movie less than a 6 needs to have their head scanned. This movie is truly epic, from the cast to the story. You will NEVER see a darker, or deeper story on film. This truly is Clint's masterpiece. I guess it doesn't have enough over-the-top gore or CGI to get a high score from the viewers here...... Pretty damn sad that Mystic River and There Will Be Blood Anyone who gave this movie less than a 6 needs to have their head scanned. This movie is truly epic, from the cast to the story. You will NEVER see a darker, or deeper story on film. This truly is Clint's masterpiece. I guess it doesn't have enough over-the-top gore or CGI to get a high score from the viewers here...... Pretty damn sad that Mystic River and There Will Be Blood don't get the credit they deserve from you unknowledgable hacks. Expand
  29. StevenZ.
    Sep 25, 2007
    The most overrated movie of all time. Hideous, offensive, and soul-destroying. The kind of movie that tells you life sucks and everything's awful, and then fakes the evidence. Every plot twist is rigged and unbelievable, every line is ponderous and humorless, and the experience leaves you thinking there's nothing that can be accomplished in life. And don't blather to me The most overrated movie of all time. Hideous, offensive, and soul-destroying. The kind of movie that tells you life sucks and everything's awful, and then fakes the evidence. Every plot twist is rigged and unbelievable, every line is ponderous and humorless, and the experience leaves you thinking there's nothing that can be accomplished in life. And don't blather to me about the "powerful acting." The best performances in this movie--the fine, quiet work done by Kevin Bacon, Laura Linney, and Laurence Fishburne--were, of course, the least acclaimed. All the praise and Oscars went to the overdone hamming of Penn, Robbins, and Marcia Gay Harden (who, to be fair, was given nothing to play but scaredy-cat.) It was embarrassing seeing the great Ms. Linney trying to make that bogus Lady Macbeth scene at the end believable. One of those movies that's trying to impress you rather than tell a story, which you're supposed to learn a lesson from. "Life sucks" is not an original message, nor one that will come as a great surprise to many people, but overpraised hack directors always seem to think they're doing something daring by trotting it out. Expand
  30. DaveZ
    Jul 20, 2007
    I should give this a 10, but there are two areas of a film that are most important... the beginning and the end. Great movie overall except the artist didn't know when to put down the brush. Sorry Clint, you should have cut out the last scene, we already got the feeling you wanted us to have and the feeling (of disgust) was wonderful. You pushed it farther than it had to go.
  31. JackT
    Jan 16, 2007
    I found this film to be one of the most spiritually profound works to come out of the Hollywood studio system in quite some time. Eastwood sorts through the rubble of his characters' lives with an assurance and patience that's reminiscent of his better works. The film has its ciphers (namely Laura Linney's Lady Macbeth) and its fair share of summarizing speeches
  32. AlexR
    Mar 20, 2006
    wow, I can find some seemingly good aspects about this film if I try, but come on!.. a 10? Award nominations? I just can
  33. FrankO.
    Feb 9, 2006
    One of Clint Eastwood's best movies, if not the best. Outstanding cast and direction. Eastwood did a great job with a dark story created by Dennis Lehane. Eastwood stayed true to the storyline.
  34. BobA.
    Jan 15, 2006
    A noble effort by Eastwood, but ultimately a movie that leaves the audience unsure if they should really care. The editing is disjointing, the solution to the murder mystery is unsatisfying, the twist is shallow and the acting is the equivalent of the lunatics taking over the asylum.
  35. patrickd.
    Oct 30, 2005
    5.1?????? Movie like Napolean Dynamyte got a better score than this?
  36. TonyB.
    Oct 26, 2005
    This was the best film of the year, one of those all too rare examples of a work that deserves all of the praise bestowed on it. What Clint Eastwood has done here is show once again that understatement will win out over extravagance any time. The film doesn't have a single false note. Brilliantly acted by an ensemble cast who have never given better performances, Mystic River has a This was the best film of the year, one of those all too rare examples of a work that deserves all of the praise bestowed on it. What Clint Eastwood has done here is show once again that understatement will win out over extravagance any time. The film doesn't have a single false note. Brilliantly acted by an ensemble cast who have never given better performances, Mystic River has a deliberate pace that perfectly complements its narrative structure and style. It has been superbly designed, photographed, scored and edited, the result being the full realization of a classical tragic tale. Expand
  37. TrevorB.
    Aug 12, 2005
    Another Eastwood masterpiece. Ensemble acting doesn't come finer.
  38. BuckF.
    Aug 5, 2005
    Predictable, stilted, and way over-acted. Not to mention that not a single "great actor" in the film managed an even halfway believable Boston accent (though all tried- Fishburne, Penn, Bacon, Robbins...) Their buffoonish attempts to mimic the Beantown dialect were distracting and laughable- in fact they ruined what could have otherwise been a pretty decent 2-hour episode of "Law and Order."
  39. BenS.
    Jul 31, 2005
    If there's one thing that shakes my shackles, it is when people psychoanalyze and dissect a film to death. "Mystic River" was great filmmaking, and if Village Voice, of all publications, gives this one a "70", then it's got to be good. I loved it, and that's all that matters. So there.
  40. HollyB.
    Jun 19, 2005
    This is one of the most overrated movies I've ever seen. Not only was the plot weak -- uninspired melodramatic story with underdeveloped characters -- and the directing AND acting, including Sean Penn, were extremely weak. I thought Tim Robbins was the only strong character. All in all, an awful movie. What is everyone thinking? I guess this is what appeals to the general public. Sad.
  41. J.RyanG.
    May 26, 2005
    Clearly overrated, this film has a lot to sink your teeth into, but it fails to avoid the problems you run into when a bunch of big stars come together to make a great movie. I can imagine Penn, Robbins, and company doing a group reading of the script, each commenting on how monumental it will be, each nervously plotting how they'll make it a great movie. The thing is, the material Clearly overrated, this film has a lot to sink your teeth into, but it fails to avoid the problems you run into when a bunch of big stars come together to make a great movie. I can imagine Penn, Robbins, and company doing a group reading of the script, each commenting on how monumental it will be, each nervously plotting how they'll make it a great movie. The thing is, the material is compelling enough to just let the movie happen, and then surely it would be superb. Sean Penn especially tries too hard, so hard that I was sure he was pushing for the Oscar--and he's not supposed to be that kind of person. Marcia Gay Harden pushes too hard too. Tim Robbins pushes, as he always does, but I got a lot more out of his performance than anyone else's. Laura Linney may be the calmest party here, but she is underused. As usual, Kevin Bacon is the most undervalued asset. The flashback scenes are basically useless, using stock child actors who may have looked like their adult counterparts but did not share their essence. And finally, the film has too much of a good thing, too much of everything. Eastwood clearly was trying to make the great movie of his career, but instead, he made one that was only marginally better than "The Rookie." He'd have to wait a year before finally making that movie. Expand
  42. AricM.
    May 13, 2005
    Eastwood directs this film with the skill of a master and in the hands of this more than able cast the film soars to the heights of one of the best pictures of the new century.
  43. David
    Apr 9, 2005
    One of the best movies i have ever seen. Eastwood is the last classic. Great casting.
  44. EricS.
    Mar 25, 2005
    Coming from one who doesn't always enjoy Oscar-nominated films, I can tell you that you owe it to yourself to watch "Mystic River". Terrific acting, especially from Penn and Robbins. While the plot got a little confusing and cryptic at times, almost everything was answered in the end. "Mystic River" is one of those films that provokes a strong emotional response that doesn't Coming from one who doesn't always enjoy Oscar-nominated films, I can tell you that you owe it to yourself to watch "Mystic River". Terrific acting, especially from Penn and Robbins. While the plot got a little confusing and cryptic at times, almost everything was answered in the end. "Mystic River" is one of those films that provokes a strong emotional response that doesn't overshadow the plot. It left me thinking for a long time afterwards. The low metascore is probably due to the fact that many viewers can't stomach a serious movie (not to mention one un-PC enough to actually bring up priests and molestation in the same sentence). Not everything turns out fine in the end, people! If I wasn''t such a LOTR fan I would say this was the best film of 2004. Hats off to Eastwood! Expand
  45. Chucho
    Mar 23, 2005
    Eh. Expecting something more interesting. Tried to make twists at the end, but just came out looking lame. What were all the raves about. I think critics just trying to get Eastwood to give them an interview or something. Almost seemed like they wanted to go in the direction of that movie whose name I can't remember right now. Deniro is a Priest. That British chic is in it. Sleepers Eh. Expecting something more interesting. Tried to make twists at the end, but just came out looking lame. What were all the raves about. I think critics just trying to get Eastwood to give them an interview or something. Almost seemed like they wanted to go in the direction of that movie whose name I can't remember right now. Deniro is a Priest. That British chic is in it. Sleepers or something. Anyways...that movie was great...this not. Expand
  46. DaveW.
    Mar 21, 2005
    How can you make a movie like this and sleep at night. Clint Eastwood should be ashamed. Making a movie like this should bring him down. Clint Eastwood knows better then to show a movie that crap. I give this movie a 0.
  47. Sweden
    Feb 27, 2005
    Movie just made me mad. And it insisted on driving itself into the ground for about 10 minutes after the movie had actually ended. Compeletly unsatisfying. Tim Robbins was just a goof. Some roles are made for unknown actors and this was one of them. The fact that I could see through his bad Boston accent just made me hate him personally. There was so much idiocy in this film it made me Movie just made me mad. And it insisted on driving itself into the ground for about 10 minutes after the movie had actually ended. Compeletly unsatisfying. Tim Robbins was just a goof. Some roles are made for unknown actors and this was one of them. The fact that I could see through his bad Boston accent just made me hate him personally. There was so much idiocy in this film it made me laugh. What's the point of the mute kid? What's the point of Bacon's mute phone-stalker wife? Frankly, what's the point of the whole childhood abduction flashback? I get the feeling that Eastwood is trying hard to convince me of some "truth" about the haunting repercussions of lost innocence, but all I see is ham-fisted, cliched, wankery. Just sucked. Expand
  48. T.M.
    Jan 31, 2005
    One of the most overrated films of 2003 (along with "LOTR:ROTK" and "Lost in Translation"). A great cast is wasted on a bunch of thoroughly unlikable characters, and on a self-indulgent, ponderous, wretchedly overblown screenplay. I thought it would never end, and when it did, I was troubled by the ideas the ending promoted.
  49. BethM.
    Jan 27, 2005
    Couldn't stand the acting by Sean Penn or Laura Linney in this movie.
  50. JeffG.
    Dec 10, 2004
    This was one of the most pretentious pieces of s..t I've ever seen! It seems all we need for a collective, critic circle jerk is to have Sean, Tim, Kevin, and child molestation in the same film. A story can enlighten, inform, unite, mystify, amuse, or frighten. Can anyone explain to me how this film did any of the above? A trailer that seemed to hint that Tim Robbins's character This was one of the most pretentious pieces of s..t I've ever seen! It seems all we need for a collective, critic circle jerk is to have Sean, Tim, Kevin, and child molestation in the same film. A story can enlighten, inform, unite, mystify, amuse, or frighten. Can anyone explain to me how this film did any of the above? A trailer that seemed to hint that Tim Robbins's character would track down his molesters with the aid of friends he hadn't seen in years, a plot that my wife and I figured out at the halfway point, and enough dead-end/pointless plot devices to fill Boston Harbor. Above all, this film carried with it the most reviling aspect of 'hip,' modern film-making, and that was the moral vacuum that this film resides in. Thank you for the forum. Jeff Graham-Tulsa, OK. Expand
  51. JJ
    Nov 18, 2004
    Good acting by Sean Penn and Tim Robbins. Everything else sucks. The storyline leaves too many loose ends. K. Bacon seemed too weak and what contribution did the subplot of the wife calling him on the cell phone add to the movie. This movie certainly doesn't deserve all the kudos it gets.
  52. LS
    Aug 21, 2004
    The acting was alright at times, but this movie was HORRIBLE! The script was cliched and the movie tried to be deep and thematic with the whole "river" theme, when the river was barely shown or mentioned at all!
  53. PatC.
    Jul 26, 2004
    Pulls the viewer in many directions, all of them valid and touching on many levels, but then lets go, leaving one uncertain of where to drift. Seems logical as Irish angst where redemption is a mere distraction, but the concluding parade and explanatory dialogue doesn't quite wrap up the thorough exposition of the plot development. Overall though, realistic and thought-provoking. The Pulls the viewer in many directions, all of them valid and touching on many levels, but then lets go, leaving one uncertain of where to drift. Seems logical as Irish angst where redemption is a mere distraction, but the concluding parade and explanatory dialogue doesn't quite wrap up the thorough exposition of the plot development. Overall though, realistic and thought-provoking. The premise that life has an unalterable dark side is valid but not particularly enlightening. The actors were obviously forced to play their characters rather than themselves, which they did very well. Penn's oscar-winning performance is slightly over the top, but is certainly unique and intense. Mystic Murtha (see below) sums up the ending well. It all struck me as ironic, considering how Massachusetts courts in particular are hostile towards fatherhood. People all over wrestle with the demons of child abuse and look for answers to overcome them. This film presents the dilemma well but does not provide any useful answers. Expand
  54. PepperJ.
    Jul 18, 2004
    One of the best movies I have ever seen. Great acting. Great story. Just great.
  55. Fassie
    Jul 15, 2004
    Rotten acting, rotten storyline, rotten lighting....and rotten directing. Absolute waste of time. I saw the movie because it had good actors.....rotten decision on my part.
  56. DavidC.
    Jul 11, 2004
    I see why this movie has a user average of 5, but the bad ending is greatly overshadowed by the powerful performances of this movie. I loved it! It does leave you with many questions, but it's no reason to give it a low mark.
  57. MaryM.
    Jul 9, 2004
    Loved this move. Everything seems to work. Plus the soundtrack really grows on you. A beautiful/haunting film.
  58. PauletteT.
    Jun 27, 2004
    Loved it...rented the DVD... watched it twice...still thinking about it. The only problem with the movie is that it leaves you with many unanswered questions: 1) Was Annabeth as psycho as her father and brothers? Why did Jimmy marry the manipulative, jealous, psycho Annabeth in the first place? What was up with Sean's wife and the recurring issue of being mute or unable to Loved it...rented the DVD... watched it twice...still thinking about it. The only problem with the movie is that it leaves you with many unanswered questions: 1) Was Annabeth as psycho as her father and brothers? Why did Jimmy marry the manipulative, jealous, psycho Annabeth in the first place? What was up with Sean's wife and the recurring issue of being mute or unable to communicate ones feelings? What happens to Jimmy? What happens to Celeste? I could go on...but I still loved the movie and the all around great acting. Expand
  59. DennisP.
    Jun 27, 2004
    Intelligent adult movies are hard to come by these days. With "Mystic River", Clint Eastwood has made a great one. Great dialogue delivered by an extremely talented cast, keep me riveted to the screen for all 138 mins.
  60. TylerC.
    Jun 26, 2004
    This movie had great acting but I did not like the ending at all. It is a must see "who dun it?"
  61. LilianT.
    Jun 25, 2004
    I totally agree with Cameron S., the low average posted for this great drama is appalling. I only watched it recently on DVD, knew of all the critical aclaim and the Oscar nominations and wins, but not even my high expectations could prepare me for how much I liked the movie. Its not an easy film to watch, but is great human drama. Laura Linneys' speech at the end was marvelous, she I totally agree with Cameron S., the low average posted for this great drama is appalling. I only watched it recently on DVD, knew of all the critical aclaim and the Oscar nominations and wins, but not even my high expectations could prepare me for how much I liked the movie. Its not an easy film to watch, but is great human drama. Laura Linneys' speech at the end was marvelous, she at least deserved a nomination for it. For me this speech also explains how wives of gangsters, mafia bosses and such can not only agree with their husband's crimes, but also continue living with them. As human drama, this certainly is the best film in recent years. Expand
  62. GregT.
    Jun 18, 2004
    This movie was interesting and well acted. I figured out who the killer was half way through the movie but it was interesting nonetheless. I like Sean Penn, Tim Robbins and Kevin Bacon. They are all diligent actors.
  63. MysticMurtha
    Jun 17, 2004
    [***PLOT REVELATIONS***] Great movie up until the end. Yes, Linney's speech was very poorly scripted/motivated. Someone please explain the ending to me. What was Bacon doing with that little gun move, and what was Sean Penn's reaction supposed to signify? And what was the motivation for Bacon to let things go?
  64. Baconboy
    Jun 14, 2004
    The comment I wanted to make was to address this so-called "trying too hard" acting. Understanding Tim Robbins, I know he pulls off difficult roles easily, and so it was my thought this was another emotionally charged role that he can pull off with ease. My only disappointment was the ending plotline. It was weak, but the movie held everything I needed in a movie. If you want something The comment I wanted to make was to address this so-called "trying too hard" acting. Understanding Tim Robbins, I know he pulls off difficult roles easily, and so it was my thought this was another emotionally charged role that he can pull off with ease. My only disappointment was the ending plotline. It was weak, but the movie held everything I needed in a movie. If you want something that doesn't try too hard, go see crap like Triple X or Chronicles of Riddick, I guarantee there's no attempt to act in those. Expand
  65. BenZ.
    Jun 12, 2004
    Well... i do have to agree that this movie isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Nonetheless, it is still a very good film. Unlike what i was expecting, this movie is really a murder mystery disguised under an excellent cast, some way above-average acting, and nice character development. Although Sean Penn was great in this movie i don't necessarily think he deserved an Well... i do have to agree that this movie isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Nonetheless, it is still a very good film. Unlike what i was expecting, this movie is really a murder mystery disguised under an excellent cast, some way above-average acting, and nice character development. Although Sean Penn was great in this movie i don't necessarily think he deserved an oscar for it. Tim Robbins, on the other hand, was fully deserving of his. There are some very powerful scenes in this movie. I especially liked the way Kevin Bacon's relationship with his wife is resolved at the end of the film. One other note, there is a pretty cool twist at the end of this movie that i wasn't expecting. Expand
  66. GustavoH.R.
    May 29, 2004
    Yet another movie that was light-years ahead of LOTR in quality. It's a rather difficult and bitter film to watch, but the actors are great and so is Clint Eastwood directing.
  67. YoonMinC.
    May 25, 2004
    Eastwood goes strangely mystic in the milieu of working class america. yet, noir was always a kind of pulpy peering into the irrational abyss, beyond the border where rules of conventionality broke down and an occultish set of rules took over. we feel as though drained of usual moral categories and expectations and infused with something alien.
  68. BrockR.
    May 21, 2004
    Not all its cracked up to be.
  69. MaxwellS.
    May 9, 2004
    I was looking forward to this movie more than anything in late 2003 except for LOTR:ROTK. What happened?! Seriously! This movie had everything going for it. The acting was spectacular, it was based on a great book, and Clint Eastwood at the helm. Sadly, it was boring, predictable, and disappointing.
  70. CameronS.
    May 6, 2004
    This is perplexingly appalling, my fourth favorite (of 180 films) of 2003 has a 4.7 average. This is beyond foolish, but the score is not my statement. Mystic River is a harrowing, well-performed drama. A film similar to classics because it is an emotional thriller. I say more things in a more organized manner but I'm just so struck by how many people hated this. With this and the This is perplexingly appalling, my fourth favorite (of 180 films) of 2003 has a 4.7 average. This is beyond foolish, but the score is not my statement. Mystic River is a harrowing, well-performed drama. A film similar to classics because it is an emotional thriller. I say more things in a more organized manner but I'm just so struck by how many people hated this. With this and the other two of the other four films that were nominated for best picture were excellent and both have scores pretty low. The browsers of metacritic have to be dumber than the ones of other sites. Expand
  71. CameronS.
    May 6, 2004
  72. DavidH.
    Apr 30, 2004
    I saw this movie before it received any recognition, so while I was expecting something interesting, I wasn't expecting it to win awards. However, even then, I was disappointed because the movie is so obvious in its attempt to create drama that all of the emotion is just sucked out of it. I think Clint Eastwood has done some interesting work in the past, but here he is trying to I saw this movie before it received any recognition, so while I was expecting something interesting, I wasn't expecting it to win awards. However, even then, I was disappointed because the movie is so obvious in its attempt to create drama that all of the emotion is just sucked out of it. I think Clint Eastwood has done some interesting work in the past, but here he is trying to hard. And, so are the actors. They want to be good so much that ... it just isn't. I'm perplexed by the critical acclaim, which shows the power of hollywood. Maybe if we're told enough that it's great, perhaps we will believe it too! Expand
  73. Michael
    Apr 13, 2004
    Laura Linney's closing monologue should be nominated somewhere for the worst monologue ever delivered. So atrocious I laughed out loud in the theater!!!
  74. SeanM.
    Apr 9, 2004
    Hey this movie was amazing and Tim Robbins blew down the house with his amazing performance which ups that of even Penn. Penn not so deserving of the best acting oscar due to Bill Murray's loss is still very good, but Robbins is absolutely incredible. The story is very compelling and powerful, at the end you actually feel something for the characters. I almost left out Kevin Bacon, Hey this movie was amazing and Tim Robbins blew down the house with his amazing performance which ups that of even Penn. Penn not so deserving of the best acting oscar due to Bill Murray's loss is still very good, but Robbins is absolutely incredible. The story is very compelling and powerful, at the end you actually feel something for the characters. I almost left out Kevin Bacon, just good acting all around surrounded by an incredible story with some good directing from Eastwood. I guess I should probably check out some more of his films if this is the level of quality on which he rests. Expand
  75. FrancineG.
    Mar 27, 2004
    The film was badly disjointed and the acting chews more scenery than anything else I have seen in a few years. Given its pedigree in the directing, writing, and acting departments, it was bound to garner some critical attention, pretty much all of it undeserved. It pretends to be some kind of profound examination of the human condition. It's actually a depressing melodrama and The film was badly disjointed and the acting chews more scenery than anything else I have seen in a few years. Given its pedigree in the directing, writing, and acting departments, it was bound to garner some critical attention, pretty much all of it undeserved. It pretends to be some kind of profound examination of the human condition. It's actually a depressing melodrama and unsuspenseful suspense flick. Expand
  76. JasonT.
    Mar 27, 2004
    Silly, annoyingly pretentious garbage. How the hell did this crap get nominated for best picture?
  77. RyanK.
    Mar 16, 2004
    Best movie of the year. LOTR was good and visually stunning but when you have an endless budget and an entire country at your disposal of course that will be an impressive film. Sean Penn was absolutely brilliant. I thought that his performance was one of the most powerful I have ever seen. Tim Robbins might have even been better in this film. As far as Sean Penn winning best actor it was Best movie of the year. LOTR was good and visually stunning but when you have an endless budget and an entire country at your disposal of course that will be an impressive film. Sean Penn was absolutely brilliant. I thought that his performance was one of the most powerful I have ever seen. Tim Robbins might have even been better in this film. As far as Sean Penn winning best actor it was in the bag. The only other actor that came close this year was Bill Murray and lets face it. All he did was play Bill Murray in the movie. Its like giving Eminem and oscar for playing Eminem in 8 mile. Clint Eastwood's direction was great as well. This movie is on my top 5 of all time easily. Expand
  78. GregA.
    Mar 15, 2004
    Mystic River left me unsettled but also thinking after the end. The acting was great and Robbins was outstanding as an abused man 25 years after the fact. The story behind Bacon and his wife, though initially obscure, was necessary to the plot. It was a fine movie and if you don't see it in the cinema it's definetly worth a look on DVD.
  79. ChanB.
    Mar 3, 2004
    BEST MOVIE!!
  80. TomK.
    Mar 3, 2004
    Listen, I'm not a LOTR freak by any means. That being said, and looking at this movies on it's own merit, it had to be one of the slowest moving, wastes of time I've experienced as of late in the cinema. The plot was simple enough for a three year old to figure out. But even more sad than that was the fact that the characters, (yes, even the one played by the normally Listen, I'm not a LOTR freak by any means. That being said, and looking at this movies on it's own merit, it had to be one of the slowest moving, wastes of time I've experienced as of late in the cinema. The plot was simple enough for a three year old to figure out. But even more sad than that was the fact that the characters, (yes, even the one played by the normally outstanding Tim Robbins) were people I just didn't care about. Not one iota. Sitting through this movie was like watching paint dry. Watching paint dry is actually more enjoyable, since there usually is a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment accompanying it. Do yourself a favor, and avoid this 2 hour waste of your life. Expand
  81. EmineeeT.
    Feb 29, 2004
    I expected a lot from this movie...and was very disappointed. The actors are first rate, but played horrible, emotion-less characters in this movie. The story line left large holes that were never answered. The movie lacked feeling, appeal, and flow. I do not recommend it. Sean Penn should not have won best actor...perhaps Bill Murray???
    Feb 22, 2004
    This movie is NOT an accurate portrayal of Irish working-class Boston, and this is something critical to the story but that is totally overlooked by the reviewers. In its portrayal of working-class Irish Boston, it totally skims over the race issue, which was a HUGE factor in Irish-Catholic identity in the seventies and since. The author of the book is clearly a very biased writer who This movie is NOT an accurate portrayal of Irish working-class Boston, and this is something critical to the story but that is totally overlooked by the reviewers. In its portrayal of working-class Irish Boston, it totally skims over the race issue, which was a HUGE factor in Irish-Catholic identity in the seventies and since. The author of the book is clearly a very biased writer who glamorizes a culture believing itself racially superior to blacks, and ethnically superior to Italians, that is excused for the violence it produced during the Boston school desegregation crisis and against black and Italian Bostonians, in general. This was totally swept under the rug by the movie and the book and should be enough to discredit it. The know-it-all reviewers don't bother doing any research on the factual background of films. Shame on them. Expand
  83. DanielB.
    Feb 20, 2004
    I saw this film back in October when it first opened. I was never so disappointed. The writing, acting, and directing all demonstrate a shocking lack of self-awareness and patent snobbery. The writers had fertile ground to work on, so why did they choose to cheapen the narrative with stupid plot twists that come straight out of a dime store thriller? While Tim Robbins is quite good in his I saw this film back in October when it first opened. I was never so disappointed. The writing, acting, and directing all demonstrate a shocking lack of self-awareness and patent snobbery. The writers had fertile ground to work on, so why did they choose to cheapen the narrative with stupid plot twists that come straight out of a dime store thriller? While Tim Robbins is quite good in his limited role, Sean Penn's turn was aggravatingly artificial. I fervently hope that Bill Murray wins the Oscar for his far more sensitive and genuine acting in Lost in Translation. Its whole tone is self-congratualory and smug which is completely out of place and just mind-numbing for the viewer. Essentially, the film is out of touch with itself. It tries to walk and talk like a good movie, when it is anything but. Expand
  84. GeorgeJ.
    Feb 17, 2004
    Sean Penn scrunches up his face a lot. Female roles are one-dimensional and exist for nothing else than to prop others up. To see real acting, go see Lost in Translation.
  85. GregK.
    Feb 16, 2004
    I don't see any zero votes below me, so would all the paranoid people please get your eyes checked? I do see people voting 10 for this movie even though they didn't think it was all that great out of spite for another film. That said, I thought this was movie was overhyped and seriously overrated. The acting is alright, with a few exceptions. The telling of the story lacks any I don't see any zero votes below me, so would all the paranoid people please get your eyes checked? I do see people voting 10 for this movie even though they didn't think it was all that great out of spite for another film. That said, I thought this was movie was overhyped and seriously overrated. The acting is alright, with a few exceptions. The telling of the story lacks any brilliance. It puffs itself on Social Issues but fails to deliver anything noteworthy. Not a complete disaster, but there are plenty better. Expand
  86. BiggieS.
    Feb 16, 2004
    This was a damned good movie. And so was ROTK. So WOULD ALL THE RINGS-HEADS RESPECTFULLY STOP VOTING ZERO FOR EVERY OTHER NOMINATED FILM!! Appreciate your own movie, support it, but don't destroy everyone else's film. Trust me, I seriously don't think that Metacritic gets a vote at the oscars. Stop manipulating the user votes! Now back to Mystic River. I'd have to say This was a damned good movie. And so was ROTK. So WOULD ALL THE RINGS-HEADS RESPECTFULLY STOP VOTING ZERO FOR EVERY OTHER NOMINATED FILM!! Appreciate your own movie, support it, but don't destroy everyone else's film. Trust me, I seriously don't think that Metacritic gets a vote at the oscars. Stop manipulating the user votes! Now back to Mystic River. I'd have to say the the mood of the film is excellent, but this is a DOWN year for best picture. Probably the worst year in the last 20. Within this context, MR is certainly one of the top 5 or 10. Expand
  87. DeloresH.
    Feb 15, 2004
    If there is any justice, this film should win Best Picture come Oscars. It wasn't the best film of the year, but it's the best from the nominated bunch. A lot better than that hyped up franchise with 11 nominations.
  88. Jon
    Feb 15, 2004
    A depressing, disappointing mystery flick. It tries to be important by exploiting social issues such as child abuse, but the overacting made me cringe, and the inflated script (which was lifted striaght out of the book, and badly botched during the attempt) is simply overbearing.
  89. MariahJ.
    Feb 13, 2004
    Tim Robbins turns in a good performance and Sean Penn falls overboard his hamming boat. The book was far better than this patchy, lifeless, self-important adaptation.
  90. MaL.
    Feb 13, 2004
    Pure genius. And the greatest acting in one film in the past decade!
  91. KarlS.
    Feb 12, 2004
    Overwrought, overwritten, overacted, overdirected. It's also pretentious and constantly blaring its inflated sense of importance to the viewer. In the end its pomposity just translates into random speeches and non sequiturs. The plot is one of the most predictable of the year, and yet also manages to have more holes than Swiss cheese. I left the theater with a headache.
  92. CriticsHaveGoneMad
    Feb 4, 2004
    I have never been so disappointed in critics in my entire life. I saw this movie 2 weeks after it came out because of all the wonderful reviews it received. I was suckered! No point, predictable plot, and for me, obvious killer. Lady MacBeth scene that everyone has been gushing about came out of no where and didn't fit. Felt ridiculous. Didn't care about the characters because I have never been so disappointed in critics in my entire life. I saw this movie 2 weeks after it came out because of all the wonderful reviews it received. I was suckered! No point, predictable plot, and for me, obvious killer. Lady MacBeth scene that everyone has been gushing about came out of no where and didn't fit. Felt ridiculous. Didn't care about the characters because they didn't care about each other. Yes, Sean Penn did some very impressive acting, but the movie was horrible. Expand
  93. LucyS.
    Feb 3, 2004
    There are some good performances and some that seemed to be entries in the "bitter beer face" overacting competition. While the book is great, the adaptation is rather unimaginative: I agree with the post below that it's no more than a cut-and-paste script. On the whole, it's ok, but very overrated.
  94. DeedeeS.
    Feb 1, 2004
    I thought this movie was mediocre at best. The screenplay is a bad cut-and-paste job from an excellent novel. And to TINA below who gives this movie a 10 even though she "didn't like this movie" because it is the probably the movie with the best chance of beating The Return of the King and it's "obsessive fans" "who will do anything," please re-read your post and take your I thought this movie was mediocre at best. The screenplay is a bad cut-and-paste job from an excellent novel. And to TINA below who gives this movie a 10 even though she "didn't like this movie" because it is the probably the movie with the best chance of beating The Return of the King and it's "obsessive fans" "who will do anything," please re-read your post and take your pathetic idiocy elsewhere. Your desperation is embarrassing. Expand
  95. JeffB.
    Feb 1, 2004
    Arrogant yet completely forgettable.
  96. Droog
    Feb 1, 2004
    Mystic River is not a terrible movie, but it's not a very good one either. Essentially, its parts are greater than the whole. I think the acting is superb. Sean Penn gives a performance of a lifetime here; his portrayal of a grieving father will not be replicated in Hollywood anytime soon. Tim Robbins does a fine job of depicting a man battling his personal demons. Kevin Bacon and Mystic River is not a terrible movie, but it's not a very good one either. Essentially, its parts are greater than the whole. I think the acting is superb. Sean Penn gives a performance of a lifetime here; his portrayal of a grieving father will not be replicated in Hollywood anytime soon. Tim Robbins does a fine job of depicting a man battling his personal demons. Kevin Bacon and the rest do well in supporting roles. But good acting can't save this film. There is a threadbare premise, two to three Deus Ex Machinas used to tie up the pedantic plot, minor or unseen characters providing the story spurs, and a jagged ending that neither satisfies nor questions itself. What are we to make of this? Does this movie even make us think? I suppose there was some message of "interrupted history" brought to completion in there somewhere, but mostly I just felt empty after the credits began to roll. I felt empty because the film itself is empty; it's devoid of ideas, meaning, and purpose. And that's a shame because Sean Penn is hence forced to single-handedly pull this movie out of mediocrity. Expand
  97. JesselA.
    Jan 31, 2004
    Certainly not the best film out there and vastly overrated critically, this is the kid of films newspaper and magazine reviewers love to salivate over as it shows what's wrong with the justic system by (sadly) portraying the cops as "Angela Lansbury" wannabees. Great script and excellent direction doesn't dismiss the "color by numbers" feel that permeates that awkwardly paced Certainly not the best film out there and vastly overrated critically, this is the kid of films newspaper and magazine reviewers love to salivate over as it shows what's wrong with the justic system by (sadly) portraying the cops as "Angela Lansbury" wannabees. Great script and excellent direction doesn't dismiss the "color by numbers" feel that permeates that awkwardly paced non-thriller. Expand
  98. Tina
    Jan 31, 2004
    C.Meyer, with the Oscar nominations announced, Mystic River just became possibly the favorite film to beat ROTK for Best Picture. You know where the negative reviews are coming from. ROTK's obsessive and rabid fans. They'll go to ANY lengths, trust me. Whilst I didn't like this movie, it deserves higher than a 6.4 average, and so I'm giving it 10.

1. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    This is at bottom a pulp thriller that strains -- sometimes pretentiously, at other times with gutter magnificence -- to reach the level of basic human truths.
    To see strong acting like this is exhilarating. In a time of flashy directors who slice and dice their films in a dizzy editing rhythm, it is important to remember that films can look and listen and attentively sympathize with their characters. Directors grow great by subtracting, not adding, and Eastwood does nothing for show, everything for effect.
  3. Mystic River is classic Eastwood, classic noir. If there is still some doubt about whether this one-time macho star is actually a world-class moviemaker, Mystic River should end the argument for good. One of the best American movies of the year, crisply well-crafted and beautifully acted.