7.9

1. JackB.
    Mar 2, 2005
    This could have been improved by including more humorous scenes (since this is a comedy) and there was few in this film.
  2. Jun 12, 2011
    One of the funniest movies I've ever seen, it really captures the average socially awkward teen and dysfunctional family perfectly, I loved every character and every moment of this hilarious movie, while some say some of the scenes are useless I disagree, I felt they were all necessary in defining the characters, if you like comedies or just good movies, this is a must see, this is aOne of the funniest movies I've ever seen, it really captures the average socially awkward teen and dysfunctional family perfectly, I loved every character and every moment of this hilarious movie, while some say some of the scenes are useless I disagree, I felt they were all necessary in defining the characters, if you like comedies or just good movies, this is a must see, this is a masterpiece that is deserving of nothing less that a perfect 10. Expand
  3. BryceA.
    Sep 6, 2004
    Heck yes Napoleon Dynamite is amazing, its its incredible. IT does whatever it feels like it wants to do Gosh. It gets funnier every time I see it.
    Sep 8, 2004
    GREAT MOVIE, CANT BE BEAT "Do you think people will vote for me? Heck yes! I'd vote for you. Like what are my skills? Well, you have a sweet bike. And you're really good at hooking up with chicks. Plus you're like the only guy at school who has a mustache. "
  5. JennieM.
    Jan 10, 2005
    Okay this was an awsome movie and trust me it only gets better EVERY time you watch it!
  6. krystalg
    Jan 8, 2005
    If i could i would definetly give with movie a 15...Everything about it is just so hilarious. the voices, the clothes, the plott, EVERYTHING i could go on but i mean the point is that its great. Napoleon, Kipp, Pedro..? just the names alone crack me up!! i love Napeloen Dynamite.
  7. MBG
    Jan 9, 2005
    Heck yes this movie is pretty much the best movie in the world!! Its freakin awesome if you know what I'm sayin!! So if you do then you must vote for Pedro!! HAHA!
  8. AndyM.
    Jun 27, 2009
    This is movie is incredibly peculiar. It has this bleak and depressing tone, yet it still manages to be heartwarming, uplifting, and comedic. It doesn't hit you over the head with gags, as some people might have expected when they first saw it in theaters. Rather, it has this quirky, subtle, eccentric appeal that grows on you. Great acting, great soundtrack... it's a must-see This is movie is incredibly peculiar. It has this bleak and depressing tone, yet it still manages to be heartwarming, uplifting, and comedic. It doesn't hit you over the head with gags, as some people might have expected when they first saw it in theaters. Rather, it has this quirky, subtle, eccentric appeal that grows on you. Great acting, great soundtrack... it's a must-see film. John Heder plays this role perfectly (though, sadly, he can't play any other role). You can keep coming back to this film, and it will only get better. Just... don't expect a blockbuster teen comedy. Expand
  9. DrewG
    Feb 1, 2005
    Flippin' awesome film!
  10. marcusm
    Feb 7, 2005
    Halarious from start to finish, and the special ending was really funny. You easily fall in love (in a sense) w/ the characters because you can relate in one way or anther (you were/are like them, and/or you know someone who is). Perfectly scritped and acted, these characters could easily pass for real people. A must see and must OWN!!
  11. VincentH.
    Jul 3, 2004
    Yes, this film is the poor man's "Rushmore" (it essentially has most of the same ideas) and Jared Hess seems to be the poor man's Wes Anderson, but this film has enough solid belly-laughs & set pieces to please those looking for a pleasant comedy. There is a subplot involving Napoleon's loser uncles that is kind of boring but other than that this is highly recommended to Yes, this film is the poor man's "Rushmore" (it essentially has most of the same ideas) and Jared Hess seems to be the poor man's Wes Anderson, but this film has enough solid belly-laughs & set pieces to please those looking for a pleasant comedy. There is a subplot involving Napoleon's loser uncles that is kind of boring but other than that this is highly recommended to people looking for an unique comedy that is a welcomed alternative to those unlucky souls who become caught up in the hell-like vortex known as "White Chicks". Expand
  12. BenS.
    Jan 25, 2005
    hilarious
  13. KellyD.
    Jan 6, 2005
    One of the funniest movies i have ever seen in my life.
  14. KatieB.
    Awesomest movie ever!!!!!
  15. ChristianH.
    Jun 16, 2004
    I've never watched a movie and laughed so hard that I actually cried . . . and I did with Napoleon Dynamite. Definitely not a movie for everyone, but the negative reviews that say that ND is a self-deprecating, self-hating movie have completely missed the point of this film.
  16. RulonL.
    Jul 9, 2004
    One of the best comidies I have seen in ages. It was wonderful to see something that I could enjoy all the way through without feeling uncomfortable because of bad language, etc.
  17. GregJ.
    Aug 30, 2004
    Look at the critics ratings, and look at the user ratings hahaha. The critics are really bombing this year. People love this movie, from start to finish. This is the best movie I've seen all year. It is interestingly enough, comparable to Forrest Gump. I loved it, and you will too. Definately a movie that people will enjoy
  18. BetsyH.
    Sep 10, 2004
    This movie is hilarious! I couldn't stop laughing and if you ask me "heck yes!" I would see this movie again!
  19. KatieR.
    Sep 5, 2004
    I love this move with a passion! it turns me on and it gets me all hot and bothered. i am anxiously waiting for it to come out on DVD so i can love it and cherish it even more!
  20. gabyg
    Jan 8, 2005
    Man this was the best movie ive ever seen I LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!!!!i want the boots he has but i cant find the anywhere. :(
  21. MathewR.
    Mar 1, 2005
    First time it was 9/10, then when I watched it again the next day it was pure 10/10. I was in tears the second time. Good off-the-wall comedy.
  22. MattA
    Mar 30, 2005
    This movie made me laugh my ass off...its a cult classic forshure, its so original and funny, and the actor of napolean did an amazing job...its one of my most favorite movies of all time!!!!! NAPOLEAN DYNAMITE KICKS MAJOR ASS!!!!
  23. tommym.
    Mar 7, 2005
    Im really busy ryt now!!!
  24. AbbyG
    Mar 9, 2005
    Why do you love me..why do you need me...always and forever!!! Hilarious movie :-D
  25. giad.
    Apr 10, 2005
    This is a funny movie! Its so stupid its funny!
  26. tinam.
    May 7, 2005
    Loved it.
  27. BobP.
    Apr 2, 2006
    Best movie ever.
  28. WhitneyB.
    Nov 21, 2004
    I thought this movie was so hilarious i was crying!! i have seen it so much i can say the words right along with the characters! if i could i would give this movie a 15! it was that good! any one who thought it was dumb can bury themselves in a hole and keep their negative opinions to themselves!
  29. AdenR.
    Oct 10, 2004
    This is the funniest movie i have seen all year, and i cant stop quoting from it.
  30. EmilyD.
    Dec 7, 2004
    Haha, this move is sweet. Napolean is my hero! I love how its made in Idaho, (i'm from Idaho) I live for the random thing Napolean comes up with.
  31. PhilB.
    Oct 7, 2004
    Best movie ever. Have seen it three times and would see it again. It satisfies every type of humor - from the absurd to adult to intellectual. Very well made!
  32. AlfonsoM.
    Jun 17, 2004
    I had to constantly stop my self from laughing but felt that some people i was with got annoyed by the movie.
  33. RayRay
    Jun 18, 2004
    What a great freakin' movie. A lovable loser flick that anyone who grew up outside of the "in-crowd" will relish.
  34. EverettR.
    Jun 23, 2004
    Very clever film with some very funny moments. Casting is brilliant. Pacing is right on. ND is a quirky hero for our day.
  35. JoeH.
    Jun 28, 2004
    Well done with subtle humor, very funny and you want to cheer for the underdog by the movies end.
  36. SeanG.
    Jul 30, 2004
    This movie was absolutely amazing! I right off the bat "what are you going to do today Napoleon?" "whatever I feel like!! GOD."
  37. KatieP.
    Jul 4, 2004
    This movie is the funniest movie i saw the whole year. some people may not understand how funny it is. if u dont then obiously you have no sense of humor. this movie is friggen awesome!
  38. BenS.
    hilarious
  39. SondraG.
    Jul 9, 2004
    All of us who endured humiliation of some sort in high school, and who hasn't, can relate to this film. I enjoyed the simplicity and reality.
  40. MikeM.
    Aug 10, 2004
    Don't f*** with this movie...
  41. LanceP.
    Aug 30, 2004
    "DANG IT!!" How could you not love it you Bonaggit?
  42. TashaH.
    Aug 7, 2004
    This movie is one of the best movies I've seen because you can relate to almost every person in the movie and it is hilarious. I know how it is because I live in Idaho too. Napoleon is my hero!
  43. Josh
    Aug 9, 2004
    The best comedy I've ever seen, hands down. The writers must be geniuses. It's refreshing to see an intelligent film amidst so many cliche toilet joke quips by mediocre "comedic actors" who keep shoving the same recycled humor down our throats. Bottom line, this film defines quality.
  44. WendyM.
    Sep 14, 2004
    This has got to be the funniest movie I've really ever seen. I just think this is a sweet, beautiful, hilarious film. A Must Buy!!!
  45. ErinT
    Sep 1, 2004
    Absolutely hilarious... but only for certain types of humor. this movie is so much better than any comedies i've seen in a while, and it isn't high brow or pretentious at all. a breath of fresh air.
  46. AlisonB.
    Sep 21, 2004
    This, by far, is the best movie that i have ever seen. It is hilarious and fun to watch. I have seen it 3 times and every time it gets better. I highly recomend it to everyone. It is good for all ages too because of its PG rating.
  47. ElizabethS.
    Sep 3, 2004
    This is the best movie I've seen in a long time. The hilarity lasted from begining to end. Even though it's not the stereotypical film complete with setting it up, creating a conflict, climax, resolution, does NOT mean it's any less of a movie. In fact, I love it even more. In the land of Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, and A Cinderella Story it's a relief that This is the best movie I've seen in a long time. The hilarity lasted from begining to end. Even though it's not the stereotypical film complete with setting it up, creating a conflict, climax, resolution, does NOT mean it's any less of a movie. In fact, I love it even more. In the land of Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, and A Cinderella Story it's a relief that the populous can now set down the noose, and see a quality unique film. Up your bum! :) Expand
  48. AbbieS.
    Sep 5, 2004
    Its freakin' funny-if you're like me where EVERYTHING is funny, than you'll have stomach cramps from lauging so hard in this movie.
  49. WhitneyS.
    Sep 9, 2004
    I found this movie to be quite hilarious, and it is just the type of movie that I like to see, it wasn't crude or vulgar, it was just plain, funny and wholesome my friends and I loved it!
  50. burtonm
    Jan 12, 2005
    Original, campy, hilarious. A must see.
  51. MikeB.
    Jan 14, 2005
    This movie was brilliant. Excellent performances by all. Hilarious movie that will soon be a classic
  52. JessicaS.
    Jan 19, 2005
    Its The Best Damn Movie Ever!!! me and my friends watch it about 20 times a week!! you should definitly make a number 2!!
  53. ChrisR.
    Jan 7, 2005
    Brilliant and ironic without the "hip" irony. I say this because this movie is truly uncomfortable in the spaces between the uproarious laughter, and guess what? It's supposed to be. I find it interesting how polarizing this movie is as far as the user reviews (and for that matter, the critics) opinions are. The great thing is, Napoleon doesn't undergo any sort of easy Brilliant and ironic without the "hip" irony. I say this because this movie is truly uncomfortable in the spaces between the uproarious laughter, and guess what? It's supposed to be. I find it interesting how polarizing this movie is as far as the user reviews (and for that matter, the critics) opinions are. The great thing is, Napoleon doesn't undergo any sort of easy "metamorphosis", or even realize the huge impact of his sweet moves. He just keeps on being Napoleon, and scores a victory as a result. Geek chic may reign supreme these days, but Mr. Dynamite is an icon of the trule outsiders, whose fantastic magical beast sketches are still hiding in the collective closets of many a silicon valley millionares' dusty high school notebooks... Expand
  54. jaunitob
    Jan 7, 2005
    Im not even in high school, and i love this movie!!! its probly the best movie since the incredibles, and Napolean is so anti-social, for example, when he gets on the bus and kid asks him what he'll do, " Whatever i want, GOSH!!!!!!!!". at a 9 year old. he is also funny be cause he never opens his eyes.
    Jan 9, 2005
    Best comedy of the year.
  56. felixsmurf
    Feb 10, 2005
    Napoleon Dynamite is an awsome movie. Through his humor, he inspires us all to be hero's in our own ways. I encourage everyone in some way to be like Napoleon.
  57. SusanM.
    Feb 3, 2005
    I really enjoyed this movie, I laughed non-stop, I really appreciate this type of humour, very dry and character-driven, as opposed to slapstick and situation-driven, which is also good at times. This movie stands out as one of my favourite comedies of the year.
  58. BobS.
    Feb 4, 2005
    So funny!
  59. JonathanH.
    Feb 5, 2005
    I loved this movie, mainly because I quote it all the time with my friends.
  60. brianr.
    Feb 6, 2005
    This movie was awesome!!! Not only did the characters make me laugh, but just the story in general.
  61. MegH.
    Feb 8, 2005
    The best movie ever!!!
  62. LawrenceP.
    Feb 8, 2005
    For movie with a paper thin plot, it is suprisingly entertaining.
  63. TylerH.
    Mar 16, 2005
    It may have been the funniest movie I'v ever seen.
  64. Isaiah
    Mar 4, 2005
    Yes this movie is extremly stupid but its because that gives it comedy, and the characters wer casted to perfection, i coudlnt imagine ne1 else as napoleon.
  65. MegH.
    Mar 6, 2005
    The best movie ever!!!
  66. Brock
    Mar 6, 2005
    Weird, my wife watched and never cracked a smile. I laughed so hard that I fell of the couch!
  67. EthanC
    Apr 19, 2005
    All those who put 0 and lower are crazy it just proves they have no sense of humor. The movie was great I mean Its napolean everyday I go around saying " tina, you fat lard, come get some dinner!" Now im so addicted I've got the shirt that says that on it with a lama in the background....i mean come on it was flippin sweet...its awesome....its incredible!
  68. Hillary
    May 15, 2005
    I love technology, but not as much as you and me. Always and forever! I love Napolean Dynamite it's so awesome! Practically my whole school is obsessed with Napolean Dynamite...my spanish class learned how to quote the movie in Spanish....Tu Madre va a Universidad....Ahhh I love it!!!!
  69. JoshP.
    Jun 21, 2005
    It may not have a point but its so freakin hilarious!!!! that movie had some freakin idiots in it gah!
  70. Kym
    Sep 17, 2005
    I've watched it 8 times.... It's the sort of film that is better teh 2nd and 3rd time around. So many classic moments. Unlce Rico is the funniest character. Just because he is the biggest loser in it. "Back in '82 I could throw a pigskin a quarter mile!"
  71. StevenJ.
    Sep 7, 2005
    A classic! One of those few movies that you can watch more than once.
  72. JackH.
    Jan 8, 2006
    An instant classic for me. One of the most funny films I have ever seen! I feel sorry for those of you who are like, "What is all the fuss about?". Either you "get" this movie or you don't. I have a feeling people that don't understand why it's funny are old and don't understand.
  73. JordanA.
    Feb 19, 2006
    This movie is so wonder ful for so many reasons - not the least of which is that it defies comedic cliches at every turn. Just when you think you know the punchline, the movie suprises you over and over again. (ex. Kip really DOES have a girlfriend!) Another point generally missed: this movie looks like where I grew up! You don't realize how little the inter-mountain west is put into This movie is so wonder ful for so many reasons - not the least of which is that it defies comedic cliches at every turn. Just when you think you know the punchline, the movie suprises you over and over again. (ex. Kip really DOES have a girlfriend!) Another point generally missed: this movie looks like where I grew up! You don't realize how little the inter-mountain west is put into films until you see a movie like this. And the characters! While characatured to a point, they represent much more closely the people I actually knew growing (as a middle class white kid) up than most movies about teenagers these days, which focus either on hood life or the high life, neither of which really effects many, many teens. (Except in movies!) Expand
  74. NickL.
    Jun 2, 2006
    This was a good movie. Like one of my friends said, it's destined to become a cult classic. If you don't think this movie was "flippin' sweet," then go practice your "knunchuck skills," or I'll shoot you with "a freakin' 12 gauge."
  75. NealS.
    Jun 7, 2006
    Although there are many funny parts to this movie, it loses any real direction and fails to deliver any closure to the movie. The film is so much more than just about Napoleon and should have been renamed something similar to "Geeks and Freaks". The characters are those that we hated or ignored (or were) in high school and are lovable in their own quirkiness. But this movie falls flat on Although there are many funny parts to this movie, it loses any real direction and fails to deliver any closure to the movie. The film is so much more than just about Napoleon and should have been renamed something similar to "Geeks and Freaks". The characters are those that we hated or ignored (or were) in high school and are lovable in their own quirkiness. But this movie falls flat on satisfying the audience at the end, leaving us to want to watch more idiocy. Collapse
  76. Katherine
    Jul 24, 2006
    I watched it at my cousins and it was HILARIOUS! At one point I almost choked on food, and at another point water came out my nose, and I remember I could'nt breath at one point either. I really thought this movie was funny. I love how he says ramdom things.
  77. TimS.
    Oct 21, 2007
    Absolutely hilarious - refreshingly everyday, not a special effect in sight. Its inspired me to become a porn director.
  78. TrevorL.
    May 5, 2007
    This is the kind of movie you either get, or you don't. If you do, you will be rewarded with what is quite possibly the funniest movie of all time. This is in spite of the fact you're hard pressed to find more than a couple "jokes" or "gags". Sometimes you're laughing at the absurdity of Napoleon's actions, but at the same time you are rooting for him; it's not a This is the kind of movie you either get, or you don't. If you do, you will be rewarded with what is quite possibly the funniest movie of all time. This is in spite of the fact you're hard pressed to find more than a couple "jokes" or "gags". Sometimes you're laughing at the absurdity of Napoleon's actions, but at the same time you are rooting for him; it's not a case of mean spirited mocking. In fact, I would bet most of the people who enjoy the movie probably identify with the character. Expand
  79. DylanC
    Jul 24, 2008
    The first time I saw this movie was in theaters; I left thinking, "What a waste of 2 hours!" Then I saw it again a few months later and "got" it. Plotless, true. It is the characters and grade-a acting that delivers. The only reason you would hate this movie is because you cannot relate with the characters, but the acting is undeniably solid. Having said all this, the true magic of this The first time I saw this movie was in theaters; I left thinking, "What a waste of 2 hours!" Then I saw it again a few months later and "got" it. Plotless, true. It is the characters and grade-a acting that delivers. The only reason you would hate this movie is because you cannot relate with the characters, but the acting is undeniably solid. Having said all this, the true magic of this film comes off-screen: the quotability has potential to be endless. Cult Classic for sure. Expand
  80. Oz
    Aug 5, 2008
    It is funny in parts but i also found it hard almost cruel to watch.But i love the ending as its funny and thoughtful a strong moral.
  81. CharlieB
    Oct 13, 2004
    This movie was the best movie ever. Oh and dont ruin it by making a sequal.
  82. J.D.Valdez
    Dec 1, 2004
    Best and funniest movie i've ever seen. There are no comparisons.
  83. NapoleonD.
    Dec 11, 2004
    This is the funniest movie i've ever seen!!! I couldn't stop laughing throughout the whole movie. "Do the chickens have large tallons?" hahahahaha.
  84. Julia
    Oct 20, 2004
    This was such an awsome movie! I loved it! The comedy was such a refreshing break from the usual "has to make a joke about sexuality to be funny" movie.
  85. ChristinaL.
    Dec 20, 2004
    Napoleon Dynamite is one of the most original, quirky, fresh, and unqiue comedies you'll probably ever see. This isn't your average teen comedy consiting of dumb gross-out sex jokes that everyone has heard before. This is truly hilarious, because it's actually clever. You'll leave the theatre quoting Napoleon's lines and floating on air, wanting to see it over Napoleon Dynamite is one of the most original, quirky, fresh, and unqiue comedies you'll probably ever see. This isn't your average teen comedy consiting of dumb gross-out sex jokes that everyone has heard before. This is truly hilarious, because it's actually clever. You'll leave the theatre quoting Napoleon's lines and floating on air, wanting to see it over again right then and there. It's hard to explain why, though. This is just something you need to see for yourself. But in my opinion, Napoleon and his strange family will remain as some of the greatest film icons of our generation - and maybe - hopefully - even longer than that. Expand
  86. EthanP.
    Oct 22, 2004
    It is the most hilariuos movie I have ever seen. Napoleon Dynamite has struck minds everywhere with it's hilarious style and unique picture.
  87. BlueFalcon
    Dec 25, 2004
    The whole story doesn't seem well thought out, but there's a lot of super funny moments. The characters are original and very likeable. Don't listen to ebert, he's pretty out of touch with untraditional comedy.
  88. CaleP.
    Dec 27, 2004
    Pretty much the coolest thing I've ever seen. Napoleon's dance, NICE!!
  89. mikeym
    Dec 30, 2004
    one of the funniest movies of all time
  90. JuliaL.
    Oct 24, 2004
    This has to be the funniest movie I have ever seen. I thought all the characters were hilarious and it was a very well made movie.
  91. chloec
    Dec 6, 2004
    This movie is the most simple form of comedy. no thinking involved. just hoots of laughter and enjoyment.
  92. PaulaW.
    Jul 18, 2004
    It's hard to know what to say about this movie. I spent the first hour and 15 minutes cringing in pain at Napoleon's excruciating dorkitude. It was all so depressing I was tempted to leave the theater and jump in front of a bus. I'm pretty sure it was worth going through all that, though, just for the last ten minutes.
  93. TimP.
    Jul 19, 2004
    What makes Napoleon so good is that everyday eccenticies that most people keep to themselves are openly shared and exploited. We're all dorks; this movie is a diary of a couple of small town dorks. It doesn't need a plot; it's just eighty-five minutes of dorkiness at its coolest.
  94. DavidC.
    Jul 23, 2004
    The ending makes the movie. One of the best indies I've seen in a long time, especally for a comedy.
  95. AshW.
    Jul 23, 2004
    Pretty damn funny I'd have to say *two thumbs up!* ;)
  96. KristalF.
    Jul 24, 2004
    Absoultly freakin hilarious!! yeah like fifty of them they were sourounding my cousin what would you do in a situation like that?
  97. AshleyS.
    Jul 25, 2004
    Undeniable side splitting hilarity. i drove an hour to go see it, and i would do it again!
  98. WilliamM.
    Jul 26, 2004
    I think this Movie is truly one of a kind the acting is great, plus all the subtle things that make break out in tears when you watch it the second time, and of course the things that are just out in the open and as funny as can be. plus i think this has all the plot that it needs, its just a film about what does or doesn't happen in idaho, its about couple of friends just trying to I think this Movie is truly one of a kind the acting is great, plus all the subtle things that make break out in tears when you watch it the second time, and of course the things that are just out in the open and as funny as can be. plus i think this has all the plot that it needs, its just a film about what does or doesn't happen in idaho, its about couple of friends just trying to help eachother out keep living their slowpaced idaho live with as little pain as possible. I know that i will be buying this move the day it comes out. Expand
  99. BrettB
    Jul 27, 2004
    If you talk about a movie and attempt to recite it for a week, I call it a fantastic success. All we do these days is find opportunities to say, "You're mom goes to college!" And I am 32 not 13.
  100. SteveF.
    Jul 29, 2004
    I love this movie i feel one with napoleon dynamite i espesially like the part when the kid asks him "napoleon wat r u doin today" watever i fell like gosh!

1. Reviewed by: Helen O'Hara
    As long as you don't mind making fun of the afflicted, there are some killer comic moments.
    The cast playing these eccentric characters is magnificent...This is definitely one of the most unique comedies you’ll see all year.
  3. A one-note, lightweight, condescending comedy about the rubes of Idaho.