National Gallery

tbd

No user score yet- Awaiting 3 more ratings

1. Jan 5, 2015
    National Gallery was twice as long for me as it needed to be - i say this with the full knowledge that my own lack of background didn't help.
    i most enjoyed the brief scenes during which staff puzzled how best to reach a wider audience - i would place myself in that category - and i think the debate will probably continue for the life of the gallery, frankly.
    extended scenes that
    extended scenes that detailed restoration techniques left me panting for something more visceral/emotional, but i was probably already restless by then..
    perhaps had a critic friend of mine advised me to see the film, one he cited as among the year's very best, i might have been more engaged.
    i was not alone, however, in my response - there was a trickle of exiting bodies from about the 75-minute mark.

1. Reviewed by: David Lewis
    Dec 18, 2014
    For art lovers, though, there is plenty to savor.
  2. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Dec 5, 2014
    It's hard to say what's more fascinating: The engaging explication of various paintings by the remarkably articulate docents, the behind-the-scenes looks at the preservation and restoration processes, or the boardroom discussions about the appropriateness of marketing efforts. Actually, that third one probably isn't the most fascinating, but I still wanted more of it.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe McGovern
    Nov 24, 2014
    The knowledge that Rembrandt recycled his own paintings doesn't minimize the scene in Frederick Wiseman's documentary where we see an X-ray of one of the Dutch master's portraits — and go, ''Wow!''