8.1

1. Sep 2, 2014
    Alexander Payne has a way of selecting small but fascinating topics on life--add this to his now long list of greats. Don't expect to laugh throughout, it's actually quiet sad.
  2. Aug 20, 2014
    t's emotional, inspiring, artistic and extremely funny..!!
    The only things which i thought will suck are it's in black and white and too many old people in it but i have to say these two factors made it more beautiful..!!
    The only real drawback is that it's too slow..!
  3. Aug 2, 2014
    Alexander Paynes’ heartwarming father-son road trip (with mother and another son join then quit in the midway) in his home state, saturated in a nostalgic black-and-white monochrome, NEBRASKA is sophisticated witty and charismatically affecting, comfortably sits in the niche of Payne’s outstanding wheelhouse.

continue reading my review on my blog: google cinema omnivore, thanks
  4. Aug 1, 2014
    Nebraska, sin duda alguna, es un film conmovedor que ofrece una historia en blanco y negro muy sutil y bien hecha, es una de esas películas que te dan una buena sensación y te dan curiosidad.
  5. Jul 21, 2014
    Bruce Dern's masterful performance, the excellent music and the simple yet extremely layered storyline with the complex themes it deals with makes Nebraska the most glorious feather yet in Alexander Payne's hat.
  6. Jul 15, 2014
    Después de El lobo de Wall Street creí que no iba a ver una película del 2013 tan buena, pero Nebraska es excelente. La puesta en escena, los actores (esa madre, brillante), la trama... Para nada es aburrida, no hagan caso a los que digan que es una película vacía o sobrevalorada, es una obra genial y con bastante mas humor del que esperaba. Muy recomendable.
  7. May 28, 2014
    this movie although it seems boring for some but it really touched my feeling
    the reality in this film is so incredible. personally i suffered from my father's willing to travel over seas to make us enough money to leave to us
  8. May 15, 2014
    Nebraska is indeed the best movie of 2013 and one of the best movies of all times. It is beautifully shot, solidly directed, and admirably acted.

On the surface, Nebraska is the story of a senile man who thinks he has won a million dollar prize and he wants to travel to Nebraska to claim his prize. But in reality, Nebraska is a review on the meaning of the relationship between a father
    and his soon. It is the story of a road trip that reveals many unseen sides of the father to his son and vice verse.

Nebraska reminds us that dignity and respect are universal values that everybody deserves to have. It's also a harsh criticism of greed and wanton. It is fun to watch, it is tough provoking, and every time you think about it, you will like this movie more.
  9. May 13, 2014
    A new addition to Alexander Payne's excellent career. I'm a huge fan of "About Schmidt" and "Sideways". This film is also set as a road trip, this time a man with his estranged and confused father, who is insistent on travelling to Lincoln, Nebraska to collect the prize money he thinks he won.

Like Schmidt and Sideways, this is also a comic look into lost lives and broken dreams. It's
    also about family, and mortality. The performances are more than great, particularly of Bruce Dern, and even more, June Squibb. The characters themselves are greatly interesting, each with his/her own quirks. The script and dialogue are sharp, and so is the directing.

Perhaps my complaints is the overall quiet mood. While i understand that it's supposed to be so, for it to be an accurate portrayal of life in the small town of the American heartland, i can't say i enjoyed it that much. Also wish if there was more plot and drama, especially since this is a two-hour movie.

Still, it doesn't take away what a great movie this is. And the closing scene nearly makes up for it. It's a beautiful and funny scene.
  10. May 6, 2014
    The story is very simple but within the movie demonstrates the disconnection among families these days. The black and white movie really illustrates this, dismal kind of existence. While peering into these character's lives, we learn about them as they learn about themselves and each other. No special graphics or effects force the veiwer to ID with the characters.
  11. Apr 21, 2014
    A journey of a pointless man's pointless desire, compounded in a pointless city, somehow, bears fruitful results.
    Indeed, "Nebraska" manages to prove a point.
  12. Apr 5, 2014
    Nebraska gets everything right, and it comes together to make a funny tender film. A simple movie of simple folks. From the cinematography, acting, and the decision to make it black and white made it one of the best films of the year.
  13. Mar 31, 2014
    A very warm and sincere film with amazing performances from Dern, and June Squib. This movie is very introspective and can be heartfelt, depressing, and hilarious at the same time. The setting , the secondary characters, and family encounters is what really makes this film unique and pushes it past some dullness along the way.
  14. Mar 30, 2014
    I loved everything about this movie. Cinematography, film score (the best I've heard in a long time), stellar performances from all the lead roles. I enjoyed the humour in the film as well. Thoroughly deserving of the Oscar nominations, it should have won best original score IMO.
  15. Mar 24, 2014
    It's a very bitter sweet story. It touched me very much, and should touch everybody, as we have all an old man, or a gently old granny, and in the end, we all will be our own kind of Woody Grant.
    The pace of the movie is stunning. It is slow as life is when you live like this, and it is never boring.
    The photography is just wonderful. The dialogs superb!
    I want more, and at the same
    time, I do not want :) Expand
  16. Mar 20, 2014
    Am I the only one who found this film dragged from start to finish. Filled with patches of fantastic comedic moments between a bland and predictable storyline. Not a fan of the "Artistic black and white either.
  17. Mar 11, 2014
    I initially watched this film just to see how Will Forte handles a serious role and I was genuinely blown away by the whole experience. The compelling performances by the actors, gentle humorous undertones, laid back pacing and great black and white cinematography all combine into a little masterpiece.
  18. Mar 11, 2014
    Nebraska is a great movie that revives the classic Hollywood cinema. It reflects the social conditions of the elderly and the love and care of a son for his cantankerous father as they lead a journey from Billings to Nebraska.
  19. Mar 7, 2014
    bruce dernis amazing in nebraska as an old man who people doesnt understand . i like bruce dern and will forte and not that **** june squib . but i love the movie including bruce dern
  20. Mar 5, 2014
    It takes a really slow build to the finale but I'm glad I took the time to let it happen. The payoff was worth the wait. Not for everyone but I liked it.
  21. Mar 4, 2014
    One of the best of 2013, I regret how many times I passed on this film, it is a full-of-soul masterpiece. The actors fit like a glove, Bruce Dren is great, June Squibb is lovely and Alexander Payne is a genius!
  22. Feb 28, 2014
    How on earth can this piece of garbage be up for best picture? This was utterly and completely devoid of any redeeming social value! The only reason we watched it to the end was we couldn't believe it could go the entire movie without going anywhere. Pitiful!
  23. Feb 28, 2014
    Nebraska started out a little slow and never really kicks in to high gear but it draws you in with it's heart and humor. Bruce Dern and June Squibb provide solid performances.
  24. Feb 24, 2014
    A well executed movie but far from the most interesting one. I did enjoy seeing Will Forte try something new and play a more dramatic part and Bruce Dern is flawless. My main problem was I just couldn't get too interested in what was happening, it's a fairly slow movie that never hooked me. As far as the oscar nominations go I would say Bruce Dern deserves it but the entire movie does not.
  25. Feb 23, 2014
    Beautifully constructed piece. Arguably Alexander Payne's best film, sporting a golden performance by Bruce Dern. Not to be missed! One of the best of 2013!
  26. Feb 19, 2014
    Spoiler Alert:
    If only David would have bought his father the bloody truck and compressor to begin with, we could all have been spared 115 minutes of our lives watching nothing aimless going nowhere. Pity because I had grown fond of Alexander Payne's work as of late.
  27. Feb 18, 2014
    In uno splendido bianco e nero (fotografato da Phedon Papamichael, greco dal nome spettacolare, già con il regista per ‘Paradiso amaro’), Alexander Payne firma un piccolo capolavoro da una storia semplice, scritta da Bob Nelson, ma che scava a fondo nei personaggi. I Grant sono un’anziana coppia disfunzionale, in cui lui, Woody, è abbonato alla bottiglia e ha un netto disinteresse nei confronti dei familiari, mentre lei, Kate, pare impegnata in una lamentela infinita. Ci si stupisce che i figli non abbiano troppi problemi, a parte che il più giovane, David, è appena stato mollato dalla fidanzata. Un po’ per distrarsi e un po’ per provare a riavvicinarsi al genitore, David decide di accompagnarlo dal Montana fino in Nebraska sulle orme di una vincita milionaria chiaramente fasulla, ma sulla quale il vecchio si è intestardito. Sulla strada, però, c’è il paesello natio di Woody e Kate, Hawthorne, ed è l’occasione per un ritorno alle origini che coinvolge anche la madre e l’altro fratello, Ross, ma che insegna parecchio a David sui propri genitori. Hawthorne è una specie di buco del culo del mondo, due strade in croce in mezzo al nulla abitate perlopiù da anziani malvissuti (e i giovani sono destinati a seguirne le orme, basti pensare ai cugini Cole e Randy) in una realtà estremamente provinciale che offre poco - forse solo la strada per andarsene - per non dire nulla. La notizia del milione mette in agitazione la piccola comunità che vuole disperatamente crederci malgrado si tratti di una palese patacca. Di conseguenza, vengono rispolverati vecchi rancori e mai sopite rivalità – alla fine personficati in Ed, interpretato da Stacy Keach - attraverso le quali Payne può descrivere una serie di figure disegnate con cura, mettendo in fila una serie di facce una più azzeccata dell’altra. In merito, ci sono almeno due scene memorabili, quella del bancone del bar con tutti gli avventori immobili con il proprio bicchiere e quella in cui i maschi del clan dei Grant guardano la partita dei Chicago Bears in televisione: due piccoli quadri di inquietante gotico americano. In contrasto con gli ambienti, non sempre in perfetta forma, di Hawthorne, ci sono i grandi spazi che circondano la cittadina, il cui fascino magnetico pare venir accentuato dalla mancanza di colore, specie quando i personaggi si muovono sulle strade bianche che collegano le fattorie sparse e che sembrano uguali a cinquanta o cento anni fa. Detto dello splendido contorno, è però ormai ora di parlare degli interpreti principali, dai quali sarebbe stato impossibile pretendere di più. Lo scarmigliato Bruce Dern solo intravisto in ‘Django unchained’ – lunghi capelli bianchi svolazzanti e barba incolta – dà corpo al testardo, fragile Woody con un’andatura strascicata e una voluta sgradevolezza: davvero ottima è l’interazione con Will Forte nella parte di David, con l’attore nato al Saturday Night Live che regge alla grande il faccia a faccia con il vecchio leone e rende in maniera assai sottile l’evoluzione del suo personaggio, l’unico per il quale cambia qualcosa. La vera rivelazione, però, risulta alla fine essere June Squibb che, tutte le volte che è in scena, ruba l’attenzione con il nervosismo di una Kate che, senza peli sulla lingua, sembra voler scaricare nelle parole la durezza di una vita passata al fianco di un uomo che forse non ha mai amato (e viceversa). Trattandosi di un film che lavora sulle psicologie, il passo scelto da Payne è inevitabilmente lento, ma di quella lentezza che aiuta le sensazioni a sedimentarsi nella mente dello spettatore, finendo per non abbandonarlo più: in ogni caso, un tale andamento è lontanissimo dal generare qualsiasi sensazione di noia, anche perché, pur trattandosi di una commedia amara, qua e là ci sono spunti comici costruiti con notevole abilità, come, ad esempio, la ricerca della dentiera di Woody o l’episodio del furto del compressore sbagliato. Il Nebraska è lo stato natale del regista, ma è impossibile sottrarsi alla suggestione di un altro capolavoro intitolato così (e, guarda caso, con uno scatto in bianco e nero in copertina): come il disco di Springsteen è tutto meno che immediato, ma conquista senza lasciare scampo con le sue storie di perdenti, la pellicola di Payne richiede solo un po’ di attenzione per trasformarsi in uno di quei film che è difficile dimenticare. Expand
  28. Feb 18, 2014
    It might be too simplistic and bore some viewers but otherwise, the character-driven Nebraska is amusing, dramatic, beautifully shot and brilliantly acted.
  29. Feb 15, 2014
    The two time Academy Award winning director for adapted screenplay for the movies 'Sideways' and 'The Descendants'. This time for original screenplay and 5 other nominees, including best motion picture and direction. The 2nd of march 2014 evening will decide how many it would grab the little golden statues. Till then we have to wait with no option.

The movie had no big names in the cast
    according to the current market value, but still got a big slide to the 2014 Oscar. Except seeing the posters I never interested to take a peek inside the promos like teasers and trailers. Before watching the movie yesterday I thought it was Jack Nicolson in the poster. I thought they were working together again after the success of 'About Schmidt'. Then realised and surprised about this simple but a beautiful movie.

The story was very impressive, in fact, realistic subject. About the old generation people and their misunderstandings of the current world's advertisement gimmicks. The black and white presentation was enchanting. It would have been different if the movie was in colour, I guess I could have liked a bit lesser than now.

It was begun like a father-son's road adventure, then later turned into a drama about a family reunion. Dialogues were very good, filled with many dark homours. The story sets with the backdrop of a lottery ticket and takes different avatars which reveals other stories. Like stories of our protagonists birth town, old friends and girlfriend. It's always heartwarming to see the aged guys struggling in a movie. It makes to lean your fondness towards that role. If you are a weak it will emotionally appeal, but also entertains with its dark humors. Either way you will have a great 2 hours with it.

One of the best movie of 2013 after 'Gravity', 'Frances Ha' 'Short Term 12', 'Rush', and few others. Definitely a pure family entertainment. If you ever enjoyed the director's earlier movies, then you would do same for this as well. So highly recommended. Don't listen to critics, what I came to know is they are bashing this poetical movie fiercely.

9.5/10
  30. Feb 11, 2014
    I can't help but feel betrayed by how much this film is overrated! Anything about this film is very bad:
    - It's pretentious! Why would this film need to be in black and white? To help cover the bad acting capabilities of everyone except Bruce Dern. This doubles with long unneeded pauses in dialogues.
    - It's basically a copy of "The Straight Story" (David Linch) in anything that could
    make it good message-wise.
    - It tries to give you deep feelings not about the story it tells, instead it tries to do this by having you remember something about your own life. How does it do this? It enumerates a number of ordinary disgraces that somehow affect everyone's life (cancer, Alzheimer's, poorness, old love affairs, dead relatives... you get the point).
    - It's filled with poor comedy targeted at 70+ year olds that want to feel young by random curse words and vulgarity.

1. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Dec 11, 2013
    Not much happens to Woody in Payne's movie, compared to modern penchants for rushed narratives and easily defined characters. Yet patience pays off, with a suitably minor triumph for such an unassuming man. And a major acting triumph for Dern.
  2. Reviewed by: Ann Hornaday
    Dec 10, 2013
    Only someone with intimate knowledge of the Midwest’s singular cadences, social codes and confounding emotional stew (er, covered hot dish) of aggression and politesse could pull off something as masterful, meaningful and poetic as Nebraska.
  3. Reviewed by: Philip Kemp
    Dec 9, 2013
    A pitch-perfect performance from Dern graces Alexander Payne’s latest roadmovie – another bittersweet meditation on the sad, comic futility of life.