8.0

1. Dec 12, 2014
    Fantastic film. Real and surreal. Funny, sad and moving. Almost like life. Shows portraits of mid Americans without caricature but without compassion. A rare gem with perfect balance between the common excesses of sentimentalism and the stereotypical comedy of characters.
  2. Nov 26, 2014
    For what it is, (a small drama), Nebraska is completely successful. The actors are all great, and their characters were very well written and funny. I'm not sure if the black and white coloring was a necessary adornment, but it's still very well shot and the movie never looks old. The world these people inhabit is so well fleshed out that you can't help but be drawn in by it. The storyFor what it is, (a small drama), Nebraska is completely successful. The actors are all great, and their characters were very well written and funny. I'm not sure if the black and white coloring was a necessary adornment, but it's still very well shot and the movie never looks old. The world these people inhabit is so well fleshed out that you can't help but be drawn in by it. The story is an amusing and sometimes touching one, and it ends on the perfect note. Some people addicted to fast paced action might hate it, but in terms of writing, acting, direction, and tonal consistency, it's quite an accomplishment nonetheless. MacGruber! Haha, get it? Cause Will Forte's Macgruber? Never mind. Expand
  3. Nov 23, 2014
    Nebraska, sin duda alguna, es un film conmovedor que ofrece una historia en blanco y negro muy sutil y bien hecha, es una de esas películas que te dan una buena sensación y te dan curiosidad.
  4. Nov 12, 2014
    Nebraska is that type of one of a kind film that only comes along every once in a while and when you see it, you feel entirely moved and happy that you finally saw it. The acting is great, led by great performances by Bruce Dern, June Squibb, Will Forte, and Bob Odenkirk, though really, everyone turns in a good performance here and really embody their character. This was the first film byNebraska is that type of one of a kind film that only comes along every once in a while and when you see it, you feel entirely moved and happy that you finally saw it. The acting is great, led by great performances by Bruce Dern, June Squibb, Will Forte, and Bob Odenkirk, though really, everyone turns in a good performance here and really embody their character. This was the first film by Alexander Payne I had ever seen and I regret taking this long to start work on his filmography. The cinematography here is gorgeous and serves as the perfect backdrop to this one, as the camera really finds every inch of beauty in this rural setting and maximizes on it. The black-and-white is also a major plus for me, as it just seems to fit. Overall, this one is a story about a man's relationship with his aging father, who certainly seems to have lost a step over the years, but even then, they were never very close. However, when his father hinks he won a million dollars, they start getting closer and he learns more and more about his dad, bringing them closer together. Ultimately, this study of their relationship is entirely endearing to viewers of all ages and if it does not touch your heart, you better head to the doctor to see if you even have one. As a whole, Nebraska is a very good film with great acting, writing, and a brilliantly moving story. Expand
  5. Nov 10, 2014
    It might be too simplistic and bore some viewers but otherwise, the character-driven Nebraska is amusing, dramatic, beautifully shot and brilliantly acted.
  6. Oct 12, 2014
    One of the best Road-Films I've seen in my life. With a wonderful script, with some amazing adventures and a phenomenal performance of the main character. (73 - 100)
  7. Sep 23, 2014
    At its core, Nebraska is a touching and amusing film about a delusional alcoholic, played very well by Bruce Dern, whom believes has won a million dollars. This belief he holds throughout the film is what holds together its sentimental tone. However, just as Nebraska is shot in black and white, it also carries a comedic undertone to it that accompanies its more gloomier mood, which canAt its core, Nebraska is a touching and amusing film about a delusional alcoholic, played very well by Bruce Dern, whom believes has won a million dollars. This belief he holds throughout the film is what holds together its sentimental tone. However, just as Nebraska is shot in black and white, it also carries a comedic undertone to it that accompanies its more gloomier mood, which can arguably be credited to June Squibb`s performance as Dern`s judgemental yet hilarious wife. A performance that surprised me was Will Forte and his ability to draw out sympathy for Dern`s character. Not to be overshadowed by the acting department, Alexander Payne does a magnificent job directing Nebraska. He has a keen eye for creating the mood of the scene with the use of the music. However, when watching Nebraska, one can`t help to notice the set design. It does its job in drawing the audience into the film`s time and place, which really helps us connect with the characters, not that we weren`t already capable of that thanks to Bruce Dern`s Oscar worthy performance. I felt that the same music track was playing in the movie too many times, that it began to make my ears numb to it. Apart from being a bit too predictable and having a particularly slow middle, this movie does succeed in what it's trying to accomplish. Overall, Nebraska was a movie that was never too dramatic and never too comedic, it was just right. Expand
  8. Sep 20, 2014
    In Nebraska; Woody is a boggled drunkard convinced he has won millions. He embarks on a trip from Montana to Lincoln Nebraska to collect the millions, untrusting of the post, with his son David in tow acting as his guardian. The entire movie is bleak, portrayed entirely in black in white, though that directorial choice by Alexander Payne is not necessary. Casting, acting, script, costumeIn Nebraska; Woody is a boggled drunkard convinced he has won millions. He embarks on a trip from Montana to Lincoln Nebraska to collect the millions, untrusting of the post, with his son David in tow acting as his guardian. The entire movie is bleak, portrayed entirely in black in white, though that directorial choice by Alexander Payne is not necessary. Casting, acting, script, costume and set design suffice to convey a dreary lower middle class existence. What starts as plot about a son attempting to take care of an unmanageable father quickly changes tone when they end up at Woody’s hometown.

Bruce Dern is nuanced as the slightly senescent and doddering central figure of this film as Woody. I will not be surprised if he scoops up the Oscar for Best Actor in a Leading Role. His character is not likeable, and yet, you do not hate nor blame him because of his sincerity in conviction. Kate is far more disagreeable as his harsh, crude, judgmental wife. June Squibb is unwaveringly on point as this highly realistic personality. Both actors show a commitment to their craft in a subtlety that is typically lost in films nowadays – worthy of their nominations and even potential wins.

As a whole, the average moviegoer will probably not choose to watch this film. It is far too realistic in subject matter, which is a shame. But, for those film buffs who appreciate a superb and fleshed out story, this movie will be a treat.

Find more recent movie reviews at our website!
  9. Sep 2, 2014
    Alexander Payne has a way of selecting small but fascinating topics on life--add this to his now long list of greats. Don't expect to laugh throughout, it's actually quiet sad.
  10. Aug 20, 2014
    t's emotional, inspiring, artistic and extremely funny..!!
    The only things which i thought will suck are it's in black and white and too many old people in it but i have to say these two factors made it more beautiful..!!
    The only real drawback is that it's too slow..!
  11. Aug 2, 2014
    Alexander Paynes’ heartwarming father-son road trip (with mother and another son join then quit in the midway) in his home state, saturated in a nostalgic black-and-white monochrome, NEBRASKA is sophisticated witty and charismatically affecting, comfortably sits in the niche of Payne’s outstanding wheelhouse.

continue reading my review on my blog: google cinema omnivore, thanks
  12. Jul 21, 2014
    Bruce Dern's masterful performance, the excellent music and the simple yet extremely layered storyline with the complex themes it deals with makes Nebraska the most glorious feather yet in Alexander Payne's hat.
  13. Jul 15, 2014
    Después de El lobo de Wall Street creí que no iba a ver una película del 2013 tan buena, pero Nebraska es excelente. La puesta en escena, los actores (esa madre, brillante), la trama... Para nada es aburrida, no hagan caso a los que digan que es una película vacía o sobrevalorada, es una obra genial y con bastante mas humor del que esperaba. Muy recomendable.
  14. May 28, 2014
    this movie although it seems boring for some but it really touched my feeling
    the reality in this film is so incredible. personally i suffered from my father's willing to travel over seas to make us enough money to leave to us
  15. May 15, 2014
    Nebraska is indeed the best movie of 2013 and one of the best movies of all times. It is beautifully shot, solidly directed, and admirably acted.

On the surface, Nebraska is the story of a senile man who thinks he has won a million dollar prize and he wants to travel to Nebraska to claim his prize. But in reality, Nebraska is a review on the meaning of the relationship between a father and his soon. It is the story of a road trip that reveals many unseen sides of the father to his son and vice verse.

Nebraska reminds us that dignity and respect are universal values that everybody deserves to have. It's also a harsh criticism of greed and wanton. It is fun to watch, it is tough provoking, and every time you think about it, you will like this movie more.
  16. May 13, 2014
    A new addition to Alexander Payne's excellent career. I'm a huge fan of "About Schmidt" and "Sideways". This film is also set as a road trip, this time a man with his estranged and confused father, who is insistent on travelling to Lincoln, Nebraska to collect the prize money he thinks he won.

Like Schmidt and Sideways, this is also a comic look into lost lives and broken dreams. It's also about family, and mortality. The performances are more than great, particularly of Bruce Dern, and even more, June Squibb. The characters themselves are greatly interesting, each with his/her own quirks. The script and dialogue are sharp, and so is the directing.

Perhaps my complaints is the overall quiet mood. While i understand that it's supposed to be so, for it to be an accurate portrayal of life in the small town of the American heartland, i can't say i enjoyed it that much. Also wish if there was more plot and drama, especially since this is a two-hour movie.

Still, it doesn't take away what a great movie this is. And the closing scene nearly makes up for it. It's a beautiful and funny scene.
  17. May 6, 2014
    The story is very simple but within the movie demonstrates the disconnection among families these days. The black and white movie really illustrates this, dismal kind of existence. While peering into these character's lives, we learn about them as they learn about themselves and each other. No special graphics or effects force the veiwer to ID with the characters.
  18. Apr 21, 2014
    A journey of a pointless man's pointless desire, compounded in a pointless city, somehow, bears fruitful results.
    Indeed, "Nebraska" manages to prove a point.
  19. Apr 5, 2014
    Nebraska gets everything right, and it comes together to make a funny tender film. A simple movie of simple folks. From the cinematography, acting, and the decision to make it black and white made it one of the best films of the year.
  20. Mar 31, 2014
    A very warm and sincere film with amazing performances from Dern, and June Squib. This movie is very introspective and can be heartfelt, depressing, and hilarious at the same time. The setting , the secondary characters, and family encounters is what really makes this film unique and pushes it past some dullness along the way.
  21. Mar 30, 2014
    I loved everything about this movie. Cinematography, film score (the best I've heard in a long time), stellar performances from all the lead roles. I enjoyed the humour in the film as well. Thoroughly deserving of the Oscar nominations, it should have won best original score IMO.
  22. Mar 24, 2014
    It's a very bitter sweet story. It touched me very much, and should touch everybody, as we have all an old man, or a gently old granny, and in the end, we all will be our own kind of Woody Grant.
    The pace of the movie is stunning. It is slow as life is when you live like this, and it is never boring.
    The photography is just wonderful. The dialogs superb! I want more, and at the same
    The photography is just wonderful. The dialogs superb!
    I want more, and at the same time, I do not want :)
  23. Mar 20, 2014
    Am I the only one who found this film dragged from start to finish. Filled with patches of fantastic comedic moments between a bland and predictable storyline. Not a fan of the "Artistic black and white either.
  24. Mar 11, 2014
    I initially watched this film just to see how Will Forte handles a serious role and I was genuinely blown away by the whole experience. The compelling performances by the actors, gentle humorous undertones, laid back pacing and great black and white cinematography all combine into a little masterpiece.
  25. Mar 11, 2014
    Nebraska is a great movie that revives the classic Hollywood cinema. It reflects the social conditions of the elderly and the love and care of a son for his cantankerous father as they lead a journey from Billings to Nebraska.
  26. Mar 7, 2014
    bruce dernis amazing in nebraska as an old man who people doesnt understand . i like bruce dern and will forte and not that **** june squib . but i love the movie including bruce dern
  27. Mar 5, 2014
    It takes a really slow build to the finale but I'm glad I took the time to let it happen. The payoff was worth the wait. Not for everyone but I liked it.
  28. Mar 4, 2014
    One of the best of 2013, I regret how many times I passed on this film, it is a full-of-soul masterpiece. The actors fit like a glove, Bruce Dren is great, June Squibb is lovely and Alexander Payne is a genius!
  29. Feb 28, 2014
    How on earth can this piece of garbage be up for best picture? This was utterly and completely devoid of any redeeming social value! The only reason we watched it to the end was we couldn't believe it could go the entire movie without going anywhere. Pitiful!
  30. Feb 28, 2014
    Nebraska started out a little slow and never really kicks in to high gear but it draws you in with it's heart and humor. Bruce Dern and June Squibb provide solid performances.

1. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Dec 11, 2013
    Not much happens to Woody in Payne's movie, compared to modern penchants for rushed narratives and easily defined characters. Yet patience pays off, with a suitably minor triumph for such an unassuming man. And a major acting triumph for Dern.
  2. Reviewed by: Ann Hornaday
    Dec 10, 2013
    Only someone with intimate knowledge of the Midwest’s singular cadences, social codes and confounding emotional stew (er, covered hot dish) of aggression and politesse could pull off something as masterful, meaningful and poetic as Nebraska.
  3. Reviewed by: Philip Kemp
    Dec 9, 2013
    A pitch-perfect performance from Dern graces Alexander Payne’s latest roadmovie – another bittersweet meditation on the sad, comic futility of life.