Universal Pictures | Release Date: May 9, 2014
6.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 404 Ratings
WATCH NOW
ScribeHardMay 9, 2014
Where Zac Efron is testing himself and trying an assortment of things to broaden his career and avoid being typecast, Seth Rogen is pretty much cashing checks, portraying the lovable oaf-stoner he’s become synonymous with. The differenceWhere Zac Efron is testing himself and trying an assortment of things to broaden his career and avoid being typecast, Seth Rogen is pretty much cashing checks, portraying the lovable oaf-stoner he’s become synonymous with. The difference between his role here and previous incarnations might be what t-shirt he’s wearing. Rogen’s presentation of The Seth Rogen Character is one of the problems with Neighbors, a film that wants to live on both sides of the fence, but isn’t made by filmmakers skilled enough to pull it off. Expand
Trev29Jun 21, 2014
While the movie can be humorous at times, there is not one scene that is laugh out loud funny, which is disappointing. It still is interesting though ( for the most part).
foxgroveMay 9, 2014
Lewd, rude and very crude and these are the best bits in this hysterical but often very funny exercise in bad taste. The three leads are great in nailing the material. Seth Rogan, in particular, often seems to be improvising his lines soLewd, rude and very crude and these are the best bits in this hysterical but often very funny exercise in bad taste. The three leads are great in nailing the material. Seth Rogan, in particular, often seems to be improvising his lines so effortlessly does he articulate them, and Lisa Kudrow is also good fun as an angry Dean.
As well as being verbally inspired we are also treated to more than a few deliciously funny sight gags. However, when approaching the home stretch the laughs dry up somewhat, which tends to be a familiar problem with comedies generally. This one achieves more than some and is well worth a watch.
LamontRaymondMay 9, 2014
There are plenty of laughs to be had, but it's not nearly as funny as the initial Metascore (in the 80s?) would suggest. The trailer makes it seem as though there's a tit-for-tat prank war between the frat and the neighbors, but it's notThere are plenty of laughs to be had, but it's not nearly as funny as the initial Metascore (in the 80s?) would suggest. The trailer makes it seem as though there's a tit-for-tat prank war between the frat and the neighbors, but it's not nearly that cut-and-dried. Ike Barinholtz steals ever scene he's in.... Booosh! Expand
roosevelt323May 10, 2014
SOUNDED LIKE IT MIGHT BE A BLAST.... BUT AS WITH MOST THINGS THAT SEEM TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE... IT WASNT.. BUT IT WASNT A DUD EITHER. SORT OF LIKE A CROSS BETWEEN A PG-RATED PROJECT X AND CONTEMPORARY VERSION OF ANIMAL HOUSE. SOME LAUGHS..SOUNDED LIKE IT MIGHT BE A BLAST.... BUT AS WITH MOST THINGS THAT SEEM TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE... IT WASNT.. BUT IT WASNT A DUD EITHER. SORT OF LIKE A CROSS BETWEEN A PG-RATED PROJECT X AND CONTEMPORARY VERSION OF ANIMAL HOUSE. SOME LAUGHS.. MANY CHUCKLES. NOT A BAD TIME AT THE MOVIES. ZAC AND FRANCO MAKE THE MOVIE WHAT IT IS.. ROGAN IS BECOMING KINDA STALE... YOU BE THE JUDGE Expand
Billyliar87May 13, 2014
Neighbors is an enjoyable, if not, predictable comedy with a fantastic ensemble cast who don't have too much to do. The movie moves along at a brisk pace and the chemistry between Rogen and Byrne definitely make them likable. The frat boysNeighbors is an enjoyable, if not, predictable comedy with a fantastic ensemble cast who don't have too much to do. The movie moves along at a brisk pace and the chemistry between Rogen and Byrne definitely make them likable. The frat boys are funny, yet one-dimensional. Sadly the movie falls into sit-com like scenarios which can be amusing and chuckle worthy, but very forgettable in the long run. The script is paper thin, and the characters story arcs are mere speed bumps in between the comedy. It isn't a game changer in the world of comedy, but there are worse ways to spend your hour and forty. Expand
TVJerryMay 15, 2014
Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne are a happy new parents, who find a fraternity moving in next door (with Zac Efron as president). This leads to the inevitable lifestyle conflicts and noise complaints. There's a high level of comic energy and someSeth Rogen and Rose Byrne are a happy new parents, who find a fraternity moving in next door (with Zac Efron as president). This leads to the inevitable lifestyle conflicts and noise complaints. There's a high level of comic energy and some amusing moments, but much of it seems forced. The dialogue between Rogen & Byrne often feels unscripted and goes on too long. Many of the bits are taken too far just for the outrageous effect. The cast is populated with supporting characters that could have been funny, but lacked that extra zing. The good-natured fun and upbeat enthusiasm keeps the film from ever being dull, but it also camouflages the fact that much about it isn't that original or funny. Expand
JacobJun 6, 2015
Neighbors touches on some interesting ideas for a comedy but doesn’t do much of interest with them. The couple vs. the frat house can be amusing at times but in the end it comes across more mean-spirited than funny. The film could’ve salvagedNeighbors touches on some interesting ideas for a comedy but doesn’t do much of interest with them. The couple vs. the frat house can be amusing at times but in the end it comes across more mean-spirited than funny. The film could’ve salvaged this through some message about recapturing one’s youth and this idea is kind of there but never fully explored. The strongest moments in the film come from the Frat House. The actors playing these characters work well with Zac Efron finding a nice role for himself while watching the schenanigans of the frat house, I found myself wishing this was about a bunch of teenagers doing dumb stuff and while we do get that it comes more from the attacks of the neighbors and their cruel intentions. It would’ve been a lesser version of Animal House but I could’ve settled for that. Or even if they wanted the neighbors to join in the house. Instead, the film ends with the frat house being shut down and Rogan smiling as if all is well. For a film that is supposed to make me laugh its hard to smile when my heart is so low. Don’t be mistaken this film is enjoyable with a few decent laughs but it isn’t the brilliant comedy that it could have been. Expand
adhamhanyAug 31, 2014
This is way overrated. The sex jokes have been done countless times before. The plot is stupid. The acting is mostly bad. The only things that i enjoyed were the fight in the end, and - surprisingly - Zac Efron (it was good seeing him shedThis is way overrated. The sex jokes have been done countless times before. The plot is stupid. The acting is mostly bad. The only things that i enjoyed were the fight in the end, and - surprisingly - Zac Efron (it was good seeing him shed the Disney-kid persona and try something different).

This Is The End was a very good movie that made me enthusiastic for Seth Rogen again. It was one of the reasons that made me check this one out. Unfortunately, I find myself greatly disappointed.
lordslayerJun 21, 2014
An enjoyable, if not, predictable comedy with a fantastic ensemble cast who don't have too much to do. The movie moves along at a brisk pace and the frat boys are funny, yet one-dimensional. Sadly the movie falls into sit-com like scenariosAn enjoyable, if not, predictable comedy with a fantastic ensemble cast who don't have too much to do. The movie moves along at a brisk pace and the frat boys are funny, yet one-dimensional. Sadly the movie falls into sit-com like scenarios which can be amusing and chuckle worthy, but very forgettable in the long run. The script is paper thin, and the characters story arcs are mere speed bumps in between the comedy. It isn't a game changer in the world of comedy, but there are worse ways to spend your hour and forty.
Sadly, still not the movie that will make me like Rogen, i just dont fing him funny at all, and ive seen most of his movies sadly!
Tss5078Dec 1, 2014
From the Director of Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Get Him To The Greek, comes Neighbors, and you usually can't go wrong with a comedy that stars Seth Rogen. In this film, Rogen is actually playing a grown up, with a new baby and a new house.From the Director of Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Get Him To The Greek, comes Neighbors, and you usually can't go wrong with a comedy that stars Seth Rogen. In this film, Rogen is actually playing a grown up, with a new baby and a new house. Life seems to be perfect for Mac (Rogen) and his new wife Kelly (Rose Byrne), until they get new neighbors, a fraternity house. They seem like they'll get along okay, until the couple finally calls the police on their neighbors, then all hell breaks loose. This film had all the makings of a great comedy and would have been terrific, if their had been less partying, and more fighting. While there were some extremely funny moments, most of the film either features the eye candy partying or Rogen and Byrne consistently interrupting each other during their long, loud, confusing conversations. This film really was the first time I understood peoples complaints about Rogen, as his rambling and interrupting was just ridiculously over the top. The surprise of the film was easily Zac Efron. I've seen him in several films before and he's good at what he does, usually playing this super attractive, really nice guy, in some love story or teen drama. I can honestly say until this point, I never enjoyed anything he was in, except for 17 Again. This film marks a change in direction for the young stars career and he was really great. Most of the funny moments in this film, actually came not from Rogen, but from Efron. It was great to see, but still not enough to save this film. There is a lot of partying, drinking, pot, and eye candy, but when it comes right down to it, this film really wasn't anything special. Expand
csw12Jun 21, 2014
Outrageous, crude and way over the top, Neighbors provides some very funny material but even at a short running time, the same jokes and endless party scenes begin to become exhausting.
ROFLoomJun 8, 2014
This review won't take long. It very funny at times, don't get me wrong, but really not funny enough for many scenes to stick with me. Honestly, thinking about it now, I saw the film a couple weeks ago and I can only remember two really funnyThis review won't take long. It very funny at times, don't get me wrong, but really not funny enough for many scenes to stick with me. Honestly, thinking about it now, I saw the film a couple weeks ago and I can only remember two really funny parts, the rest is kind of a blur. I have several suggestions for this film: PUT THE BABY IN THE STORY, Isn't that what this revolves around? Two parents trying to raise a child next to a fraternity? Creative and hilarious concept, but that turned out not to be what it was even about. It simply was Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne reliving their unexplained college days, while leaving their child next door... They like kept wanting to party with the frat and they did, but then they asked them to "keep it down". I guess the idea behind partying with them was to get on their good side or something I don't even know. Stupid. Basically the story structure after that was frat pranks parents, parents prank frat, back and forth until someone wins. Would the story not have been better had the baby been in some sort of dangerous event, forcing the parents and frat to work together or something? As cheesy as it sounds, it would have made it way better and given it some sort of moral, which Seth Rogen films usually tend to have. Does not come anywhere near as good as "This Is The End." Funny dialogue and gags. Very underdeveloped whole. Expand
Jack97May 5, 2016
Neighbors is probably my least favorite movie from this creative team (the guys who made This is the End etc). There's no big laugh out loud moment but there are some good laughs here and there so its not bad just not their best in my opinion.
LeZeeSep 11, 2014
'Family drama' meets 'Teen party'. An awesome concept that was wasted with the bad casting. I never enjoyed Zac Efron's presence in any movie. I consider him one of the worst, according to my taste in actors and their performances. And again'Family drama' meets 'Teen party'. An awesome concept that was wasted with the bad casting. I never enjoyed Zac Efron's presence in any movie. I consider him one of the worst, according to my taste in actors and their performances. And again this movie crashed down because of him, otherwise somehow it could have been an enjoyable flick, especially with the stars like Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne in it.

These two guys tried to lift it up, but the other side of the story failed. The two unmatched set of the cast that did not pay off as one as what the audience wanted, the fun. So it is kind of mixed feeling to me about the movie like half enjoyed. The end wide opens for a sequel, if there's one I hope the couple would retain their place, but the rest needs a fresh start, especially not Zac again please.
sanyrubJan 25, 2015
Very funny movie with a pretty original premise. You´ll sure laugh with it and enjoy the ride. The best thing are the actors involved, with Rose Byrne showing her great comedic skills, and also Zac Efron (I´m liking him more and more, whoVery funny movie with a pretty original premise. You´ll sure laugh with it and enjoy the ride. The best thing are the actors involved, with Rose Byrne showing her great comedic skills, and also Zac Efron (I´m liking him more and more, who would have thought?), Seth Rogen and Dave Franco. Expand
Jack_SunshineMay 27, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film was simply called Neighbors in the US, but was renamed Bad Neighbours in the English speaking commonwealth to avoid confusion with the popular Australian soap of the same name. The international title’s more on the money. The neighbours are bad, and the movie is bad.

It’s not atrocious, there are a couple of laughs, but there are only a couple, and that’s hardly enough to justify forcing yourself through all the **** condom and erection-based humour the movie throws at you. We know sexual comedy can be done well – just look at the American Pie series, which remained consistently well written and hilarious over four films and for over ten years – so what’s going wrong here?

The basic premise is that of a young family (Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne) who are unlucky enough to have a college fraternity (led by Zac Efron and Dave Franco) move in next door. The frat boys want to party all night, and the couple want them to keep the noise down so they, and their daughter, can sleep.

It’s a decent enough if simple premise, further developed by the family’s desperate attempts to remain ‘cool’ and down with the kids, even attending a few of the frat parties, and the frat boys legitimate attempts to build bridges, even if they refuse to stop partying.

Once the family call in the cops with a noise complaint, all bets are off, and what ensues is a chronicles of steadily escalating one-upmanship which makes bitter enemies out of both parties. What’s slightly jarring is that there are plenty of occasions when there is a genuine chance to bury the hatchet, but both sides often chose the pettier, and more destructive option. We’re supposed to go along with it all; although it’s not clear which side we’re supposed to take (it could depend on your own generation), rendering the conflict inconsequential.

This is part of the deconstruction the film is attempting of fraternities in general: that they are essentially a bunch of overgrown children with little to no maturity – and this extends to the characters played by Rogen and Byrne. Ultimately, it all feels a little too despicable, and alienates all the characters from the audience.

The film also brings the relatively dated atmosphere of Animal House (1978) into the 21st Century, making the fraternity setting contemporarily relevant and showing its effect on the wider community. If you think that means more drugs, more drink and more sex, then you’d be half-right, but there was plenty of that in Animal House to begin with. Here, it essentially translates to more neon, and to an extent, more fireworks.

While it’s very much a film of the moment, there are a number of currently chuckle worthy references which will severely date the film in years to come. Of some note is Lisa Kudrow’s brief appearance as a truly useless college dean.

I went to see this movie for some comedy and to keep my head in the modern world. It’s just shy of okay, but if I wanted something that fit that glove, I should have stayed at home and continued watching the cheesy vampire and zombie movies I’ve been watching for the past couple of weeks. What is a relief is that it’s not too long. That’s not because I was desperate for it to end, but because so many films these days simply don’t know when to rein it in. This restraint is commendable.
JOSHDILISIJun 2, 2014
Neighbors is a funny movie if you're a Seth Rogen fan, because most of his movies are based around his humor. Although, i'm not the biggest fan of Seth Rogan, the movie had its moments and i'll give it that. But it's not a movie i think iNeighbors is a funny movie if you're a Seth Rogen fan, because most of his movies are based around his humor. Although, i'm not the biggest fan of Seth Rogan, the movie had its moments and i'll give it that. But it's not a movie i think i would be excited to watch again is all. Expand
CherryxldApr 11, 2015
Neighbors es una película que aunque en algunos momentos da risa, no resulta muy atractiva y tampoco muy admirable que se diga.

Esta película es un film de comedia negra que si bien emplea este detalle de una manera respetable, al final el resultado no resulta tan satisfactorio, dejando a medias su intelecto de lo que podría ser una comedia decente. No se puede negar el hecho de que este largometraje es aburrido, porque no lo es, ya que aporta algunos momentos sarcásticos, sin embargo le hace falta un mejor agarre y que eso ocasiona que no de un mejor impulso a este largometraje que lo necesita. Así que, por tanto, esta película llega a desarrollar en algunas cuestiones bien su campo sarcástico pero no llega a resaltar.
Meth-dudeDec 9, 2014
I had no expectation when the movie started but somehow the movie disappointed me.There was not a lot of good jokes and the movie is full of cliche/stereotypes. Zac Effron is only there to show his abs.
AlexmlJun 15, 2014
The film is so-so. My rating 5. There are a few funny moments, but there are also a lot of stupid episodes. I think the film is designed for a category of people for about 20 years
WendyJayJul 9, 2014
The movie was not that amazing, but it was somewhat funny. There were great moments to this movie but I didn't really get what I thought I would get due to the trailers. The movie was O.K. but honestly it could've been a lot better
ChrisTaylor94Aug 8, 2014
A very generic movie filled with crude humour. Nothing great about this movie and it seemed that Seth Rogen thinks yelling out expletives and overreacting is great humour. The same gags have been played out by other movies.

A very tedious

A very tedious movie indeed and it doesn't seem to have a coherent plotline.
nemakataAug 31, 2014
The movie at first glance was going to involve into something else. At first I thought this was going to be a good comedy, and after there was a total turn in the story - it all went down. Acting was below average, perhaps because I don't seeThe movie at first glance was going to involve into something else. At first I thought this was going to be a good comedy, and after there was a total turn in the story - it all went down. Acting was below average, perhaps because I don't see Zefron acting on that kind of a serious level, although still in a comedy - it just doesn't work out at the end. Expand
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"Neighbors" 10 Scale Rating: 6.0 (Decent) ...

"Neighbors" 10 Scale Rating: 6.0 (Decent) ...

The Good: Genuinely funny at times, "Neighbors" has it's share of laugh-out-loud moments. Rogen and Efron did an excellent job as rival neighbors and made a surprisingly good comic duo. I was especially concerned about Efron in an over-the-top comedic role, but he was more than adequate.

The Bad: Some of the dialog felt ad libbed, and this caused a few scenes to feel forced and too long. While the film was amusing overall, a few of the gags missed the mark and there were a few stretches where you are bombarded by them and it got a little old. Rose Byrne had her moments, but all around was underwhelming and felt out of place. It was almost like she was trying too hard.
longjetty7Mar 14, 2016
The good news is that this movie was at least mildly entertaining. It gave me a few laughs here and there, and I thought the acting was pretty good. Unfortunately, I really just couldn't get over how illogical the plot was. The back and forthThe good news is that this movie was at least mildly entertaining. It gave me a few laughs here and there, and I thought the acting was pretty good. Unfortunately, I really just couldn't get over how illogical the plot was. The back and forth antics between the couple and the frat was ridiculous and initially funny, but as the movie progressed, it got to the point where I just wasn't buying it. Also, I'm really sick of Zac Efron playing the same damn character in every movie. I'm beginning to think he only gets these roles because he's attractive. Expand
Armin_AbbasiApr 27, 2015
Neighbors, as a comedy movie, entertains its audience with somehow fresh jokes but fails artistically in details. The movie makes you laugh for some moments but never stays in your mind as a masterpiece or anything.
MrMovieBuffMay 9, 2016
'Bad Neighbors' is an inconsistent comedy, which is painful for me to say since I have been a huge fan of Seth Rogen's style of comedies. I also find the R-Rated comedy to be undervalued by many other critics or film-goers, but here,'Bad Neighbors' is an inconsistent comedy, which is painful for me to say since I have been a huge fan of Seth Rogen's style of comedies. I also find the R-Rated comedy to be undervalued by many other critics or film-goers, but here, something was lacking, and it was my laughter.

The movie stars Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne as a couple trying to raise a child in a once quiet neighborhood. They are a very happy couple who live their life peacefully without any disruption from anyone so they can focus on work and parenting. That is, until they find out that they have new neighbors moving in.

The new neighbor is Teddy (Zac Efron) who is a young student that obviously loves to party. There is the intentional stereotype that Rogen and Byrne represent the ever-so-busy parents, and Efron represents the young, loud and sometimes not-so-clever frat boy.

Situations start to escalate as the parties continue to disrupt the lives of the couple every night, and they try everything they can to get Teddy to "keep it down". When the couple get the police involved, that's when Teddy has had enough of it, and retaliates by causing further disruption and that's also when the couple decide to take action into their own hands.

There are many scenes of loud parties including people getting drunk, young people making out, dance-offs and so on. What shocked me the most was how little of it I found funny, Seth Rogen's previous comedy 'This is the End' (2013) had me crying with laughter and I think this is mainly because the jokes stayed within context. Here, we hear many references to pop-culture subjects, but these jokes place the movie's plot to halt.

'Bad Neighbors' tries everything it can to earn its R-Rating, it is indeed vulgar, crude and everything in between...but most of these features don't apply properly to what the film is supposed to be about.

There were some funny moments in this film, but unfortunately, they were underwhelming. This is not a bad comedy...just a comedy that needed to know what kind of jokes it needs to make to stay within context of the plot.