5.9

1. Apr 20, 2014
    This is a perfect example of a Nicolas Cage movie. You will totally love or totally hate this movie based on how much you love Nicolas Cage doing dumb action stuff.
  2. E71
    Jun 2, 2013
    I almost never write reviews but the intense negativity towards this movie really ticks me off so I had to say something.

There are so many crappy movies out there achieving high ratings yet this one, which both kept me entertained throughout and wanting more when it was over has become subject of a crucifixion.

I confess that I didn't watch this movie about the time it was released
    because of how low the scores were (under 5.0 on IMDB at the time) and now that I have seen it I'm shocked at how cruel everyone has been. In fact, I think a lot of people made the same mistake as I have, basing their decision not to watch the movie on the ratings, because its IMDB rating is now over 6.0.

It's not an Oscar winner, but it's got a clever script, is entertaining, has the beautiful Jessica Biel in it and deserves a lot more than the low ratings it's been given.

Honestly, I think you haters either have insurmountable expectations or your taste in storytelling has decayed to the level of super cheesy action flicks like the more recent Die Hard installments.
  3. May 26, 2013
    A lazy film that breaks the most important rule of creative writing...lazy endings. This film has one of the laziest (worst) endings I have ever seen. Horrible film.
  4. Nov 20, 2013
    The movie on a whole is really nothing too special, but somehow I found it very entertaining. Cage is as bland as ever, but oddly I like his style of "acting." It's so bad that it's good (at least for me.) One gripe I have give in is the ending. It's just feels like such a cop out, like the writers really had no idea how to give it a good ending.

Overall:
    A fun movie that can be
    entertaining at times, but a lackluster ending simply spoils what could have been something special (kinda.) Expand
  5. Nov 13, 2013
    Next is a wasted opportunity.
    The movie Next is a blast for about the first ten minutes. A great concept and an okay script. It then blunders repeatedly unsure of how to evolve, and ruins everything it started with. The dialogue suddenly becomes horrible and the acting is revolting. A ninety-minute film feels twice as long as it should.

1. Wildly ridiculous and thoroughly entertaining thriller.
  2. In Next, a crummy action and speculative-fiction hybrid, Nicolas Cage plays a guy who can see into the future two minutes at a time. It's too bad that Mr. Cage couldn't tap into those same powers of divination to save himself from making yet another inexplicably bad choice in roles.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken Fox