Nine Queens

8.8

1. PepperW.
    Oct 3, 2002
    This movie was a surprise from the beginning to end. When you think that you have figured out what's going on in the plot, twist and turns immediately takes over, leaving one breathless as you try to stay ahead of the director's next move. Don't bother! Just enjoy the ride as the director takes you to further heights. Alfred Hitchcock would have been proud of Fabian This movie was a surprise from the beginning to end. When you think that you have figured out what's going on in the plot, twist and turns immediately takes over, leaving one breathless as you try to stay ahead of the director's next move. Don't bother! Just enjoy the ride as the director takes you to further heights. Alfred Hitchcock would have been proud of Fabian Bielinsky's directorial debut. Expand
  2. ChadS.
    Jun 13, 2002
    If you liked "House of Games" and "The Spanish Prisoner", don't miss "Nine Queens", which isn't merely a David Mamet knockoff. We know to expect the unexpected and yet the surprises still pay off. It'd be a shame to automatically dismiss this movie because of its South American origins. "Nine Queens" plays more like a gritty American independent than some French flick with If you liked "House of Games" and "The Spanish Prisoner", don't miss "Nine Queens", which isn't merely a David Mamet knockoff. We know to expect the unexpected and yet the surprises still pay off. It'd be a shame to automatically dismiss this movie because of its South American origins. "Nine Queens" plays more like a gritty American independent than some French flick with loads of existential angst. See it! Expand
  3. PatC.
    Jun 30, 2006
    Great con artist movie. Increasingly disturbing in its atmosphere of the pathetic mindset that motivates the pursuit of the wealth of others, but also showing that what goes around comes around.
  4. Javier
    Mar 15, 2007
    A very clever plot that unfolds at the very last moment.
  5. ScottW.
    Aug 22, 2003
    Most of the reviewers here talk about the plot and suspense, but the acting is superb in any language and perhaps the real star of the movie is buenos aires itself. seeing this film made me want to visit there, if not for fear of the street crime the movie depicts.
  6. Ivan
    Jan 25, 2007
    Great movie. Funny but also dramatic. Has you wondering at every turn.
  7. ButteredPopcorn
    May 12, 2007
    For the most part I agree with other reviews here, but I would add that it seemed to go on a bit too long, to the point that the plot started to take a few turns for the sake of complexity in it's own right. And the ending left me cold. Yes, I suppose it could happen, but it revealed layers to certain characters that had not been developed at all. Surprise for it's own sake. I For the most part I agree with other reviews here, but I would add that it seemed to go on a bit too long, to the point that the plot started to take a few turns for the sake of complexity in it's own right. And the ending left me cold. Yes, I suppose it could happen, but it revealed layers to certain characters that had not been developed at all. Surprise for it's own sake. I wish the idea of the underdog as overlooked genius had been developed more completely. Expand
    Apr 19, 2002
    "Heist" with subtitles: twist after twist after twist, all without any emotional core.
  9. Wryguy
    May 18, 2002
    Or an 8.5...it should hook you into its world of duplicity & distrust and set up your loyalties just so...and then you think it ends on an ironic, quasipolitical note (think Enron as a bank)...and then the real climax is quite pleasantly, surprisingly disarming. Really a brilliant script, well-acted...and, like "The Sting", you don't want to examine the story too rigorously.
  10. T-Dogg
    Mar 19, 2005
    personally i thought there was to many queens 8 would be fine but 9 is pushing it.
  11. MelR.
    Dec 27, 2006
    It's great fun to be fooled once more after expecting to be fooled.
  12. Feb 9, 2012
    A truly humorous, vibrant, delightful movie. It is engaging and never predictable -or very little. At times it is disturbing, and occasionally moving, so the different elements created the best combination for a great film. The performances are outstanding! Particularly, Gaston Pauls' performance, he certainly is an excellent actor -and I heard he is directing too.The first time I watchedA truly humorous, vibrant, delightful movie. It is engaging and never predictable -or very little. At times it is disturbing, and occasionally moving, so the different elements created the best combination for a great film. The performances are outstanding! Particularly, Gaston Pauls' performance, he certainly is an excellent actor -and I heard he is directing too.The first time I watched this film was here in Australia. Personally, I believe South American movies are better than Mexicans, but I guess Mexican movies are more promoted since, that is the dominant Hispanic culture in the States, where the blockbusters movies come from. Unfortunately, Americans do not really know much about South America and its diversity and assume that all Latin American culture is the same and it is not. Argentina is a country where most of the people comes from European background; thus, their sense of aesthetics is atypical in comparison to most of other Latin American countries. Argentina is a country where Arts and theatre have definitely the highest standards of Latin America. The very famous Colon Theatre is in Buenos Aires. So, give Argentinian and other South American movies a go! I am sure you won't regret it. ...BTW, in case you wonder why I am so passionate about this movie, I have no Argentinian background..in fact, I am an Aussie, but I am merely stating the truth! Expand
  13. Sep 5, 2012
    Very heavy dialog which would indicate the slow development of this con movie. Half of the movie is setting up the characters and plot surrounding the 9 queens. Watching this movie VIA subtitles didn't keep me from missing anything- thats how slow it moved. But the final 30 or so minutes leaving the viewer guessing which way the ending will unfold. Glad I didn't give up on it.
  14. Dec 6, 2014
    Clever, funny, moving, catching and confusing. This movie has an excellent plot, brilliant performances, great scenes and a breathtaking finale. While most people can feel entertained with it, only an Argentinian person (especially the one who was born and raised in Buenos Aires) will fully understand it.
  15. Nov 16, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nueve Reinas al principio es un poco confundido y despacio. Es decir, que todo vale la pena en verla al principio hasta el final porque veremos como los desiciones se desarrollen perfectamente. Lo recomiendo a gente que les gustan "thriller" y un poco de suspenso. Expand
  16. Nov 20, 2015
    Una película que te hace pensar que conoce a los personajes bien. La búsqueda de la riqueza de otra persona puede convertirse en su propia caída. Esta película es inteligente y te mantiene entretenido ya que la historia se desarrolla.
  17. May 21, 2016
    The best argentinian film i have ever seen
    The writing is excellent, the acting is excellent (i love Ricardo Darin), the enviorment is excellent, the plot twist are excellent, the comedy and drama are excellent, and the whole movie can be timeless! I really love this movie!
    The best argentinian film i have ever seen
    Its sad that the argentinian films arent that good as this one, and i say that because im argentinian and i enjoy more the american films. It definitely needs to be checked out.

1. USA Today
    Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    If you want a brain puzzler that will ensure a lively conversation on the way home, Nine Queens is the real deal.
    A con within a con within a con. There comes a time when we think we've gotten to the bottom, and then the floor gets pulled out again and we fall another level.
  3. Two suggestions as you watch it: Never take anything for granted, and keep your hand on your wallet as you leave the theater.