7.6

1. JackB
    Mar 2, 2008
    The first 90 minutes of this film had me on the edge of my seat. Then within 5 minutes and two scenes, everything that had been building up was ruined by an incredibly poor and ill constructed twist. After watching Broken Flowers, which also had no ending, i must say im becoming somewhat disillusioned by the film industry at this moment in time.
  2. Dave
    Dec 28, 2009
    Horrid movie. What you have is a psychopath running amok, killing 3 random people before he even eats his breakfast. Meanwhile, out of all the law enforcement in the U.S., it seems that only one chronically depressed sheriff even cares to try to track the guy down... but apparently he isn't smart enough to look for fingerprints on that glass of milk. Somehow the critics were fooled Horrid movie. What you have is a psychopath running amok, killing 3 random people before he even eats his breakfast. Meanwhile, out of all the law enforcement in the U.S., it seems that only one chronically depressed sheriff even cares to try to track the guy down... but apparently he isn't smart enough to look for fingerprints on that glass of milk. Somehow the critics were fooled by the various displays of technical expertise into thinking this was a good movie. In reality, all these shining little aspects can't save the movie from its own dismal plot. Expand
  3. KrisKelley
    Apr 6, 2008
    Unsatisfying ending.
  4. DC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Good performances, interesting enough characters with a nice tone of its own. I was really enjoying it, feeling the tension build and build and then whoosh the cohens whip the rug out from under you and as you sit there lying on your back going "Hey what the hell happened?" the two brothers pull down their pants and take a nice big steaming dump on your face. While shouting "Ha Ha fuck Good performances, interesting enough characters with a nice tone of its own. I was really enjoying it, feeling the tension build and build and then whoosh the cohens whip the rug out from under you and as you sit there lying on your back going "Hey what the hell happened?" the two brothers pull down their pants and take a nice big steaming dump on your face. While shouting "Ha Ha fuck you consumer, fuck you. You want closure? You want an ending that is in some way satisfying to the viewer? You want to at least have a final denouement between one of the protagonists and the psycho? Fuck you moron eat our filth!!" That's how I felt anyway. A film that could have been great totally destroyed by the most horrendous "bait and switch" I've ever had the misfortune to see. In a word "Disgusting". Expand
  5. KyleB.
    Nov 30, 2007
    Good movie, but the ranking needs to go down because of the ending, no way it should be 8.0 more like 5 or 6.
  6. MattB
    Dec 14, 2007
    The end of the movie was honestly the most awkward experience I have ever had at the movies. People of all ages and levels of maturity were left dumbfounded. We all sat there looking at the screen waiting for the film to resume, but it never did. This movie is getting great reviews and I in no doubt assume it to be a bad story. I do in fact claim that this film is a terrible The end of the movie was honestly the most awkward experience I have ever had at the movies. People of all ages and levels of maturity were left dumbfounded. We all sat there looking at the screen waiting for the film to resume, but it never did. This movie is getting great reviews and I in no doubt assume it to be a bad story. I do in fact claim that this film is a terrible representation of that story. It left me bored and lost, when it should have left me in a spot where I am not having to try to understand what the hell the point is. For the majority of movie goers I would recommend seeing a film that presents itself to the audience, unless of course they are just looking for a cool gun. Expand
  7. JohnD.
    Oct 27, 2008
    Intriguing but not a movie I would say was enjoyable. The acting was incredibly good but the ending left me with no closure which I so desperately was looking for in a movie that was convoluted in many ways. Too many unanswered questions for me and I would not recommend this movie and do not understand all the hype it has received.
  8. JeffB.
    Jul 20, 2009
    Although the actors did a great job ... the plot had no substance or meaning due to a poorly written ending. I don't even think the Director could tell you what it meant. All i can figure out is they reached thier target budget and said "Alright ... let's end it here".
  9. DavidS.
    Mar 13, 2008
    Overrated, over-hyped, couldn't wait until it was over. Enough said.
  10. JacoboN.
    Apr 20, 2008
    Overrated movie, a not so good FARGO .
  11. TedT.
    Apr 13, 2008
    What was all the hype about???? You must be kidding me. This was shot like something from the 70's. If thats what turned you on..then watch something from the 70's. I'm still scratching my head over why I heard so many people say "best movie I've seen" are you serious? This was nothing more than...nothing.
  12. Maggie
    Mar 15, 2008
    Soooo stupid, soooo lame, soooo boring. Give me my 2 hours back. Soooo hollywood crap.
  13. SK
    Apr 20, 2008
    A VERY VERY bad movie. I have no idea how this movie won an Oscar. I contemplated multiple times during the movie of walking out, but I endured till the end in the hope that the end would salvage the movie. No such thing, the end leaves you with an even worse feeling. Horrible, horrible movie.
  14. MikeSt.
    Mar 4, 2008
    Anyone who rated this movie higher than five must be unaware that it has been made dozens of times before. Guy takes drug dealers money and drug dealer chases him - the only difference is the other movies actually had an ending. The Coen brothers borrowed a tired plot and the ending of "The Sopranos" and get an academy award? No wonder nobody watches that joke of an awards ceremony anymore.
  15. ewenm.
    Mar 8, 2008
    Way over-rated. pointless, characters void of any interest; been done better many times before.
  16. Rich
    Jan 28, 2008
    This movie has to be the worst movie of the year and yet it gets acclaim from reviewers. When I go see a movie I want a good plot maybe a twist here and there and some action. You get all of that in this movie correction except the plot because the plot is totally dumb. Its so linear and when the main guy dies 3 quarters into the movie you stop caring bout the movie and start wonderingThis movie has to be the worst movie of the year and yet it gets acclaim from reviewers. When I go see a movie I want a good plot maybe a twist here and there and some action. You get all of that in this movie correction except the plot because the plot is totally dumb. Its so linear and when the main guy dies 3 quarters into the movie you stop caring bout the movie and start wondering why is this movie still going. It has its moments in the middle of the movie but thats bout it. Don't get me wrong the movie has some great acting but damn I don't go to the movies to be bored to death bout sumthing not relevent. Thats how I felt bout the ending like wtf!!!. Everyone in the thetear even the older folks were cursing this movie as a waste of time. And that is exactly what it was. So basically if you want to see a movie with great acting and a boring plot go see this movie. If not then see anything else but this please don't waste your hard earned cash on this crap. Expand
  17. blueenigma-blackgirl
    Feb 10, 2008
    When I watch a film, I expect to experience a series of emotional pulls throughout the movie, either from the characters, the setting, the storyline, or a combination of elements. While watching this movie, I felt distinctly flat, and became increasing disenchanted as the story went on. The characters were underdeveloped, and I never cared what happened to any of them. The sparseness of When I watch a film, I expect to experience a series of emotional pulls throughout the movie, either from the characters, the setting, the storyline, or a combination of elements. While watching this movie, I felt distinctly flat, and became increasing disenchanted as the story went on. The characters were underdeveloped, and I never cared what happened to any of them. The sparseness of the set and the lack of a true score are both unique ideas, and in the right hands can be great stock for a masterful film; however, technique alone cannot carry a film, particularly if paired with ill-designed substance. For example, the movie is ridden with peculiar scenes that defy common sense and left me more distracted than engrossed. If we look at the scene where Llewelyn passed the suitcase of money through the duct to a different room, the question of purpose comes to mind. Recall, he did this prior to discovering the money was fitted with a tracking device. Thus, it wasn Expand
  18. Doug
    Mar 14, 2008
    Pointless violence strung together by a thin plot with an ending that looks like they just run out of money and stopped. Hard to fathom how it could get nominated let alone win any award.
    Nov 14, 2007
    I would like to point out that the reason for DWilly's confusion is probably because the book itself is confused. Moss is supposed to be 37 in the book, a Vietnam vet, yet people are described using cell phones. So something's not right.
  20. HughB
    Apr 18, 2010
    The worst movie I have ever seen, this is saying a lot seeing as I am a film student, have watched Birth Of A Nation and can usually enjoy ANY type of movie for one reason or another. No character development, boring characters (No the killer is not scary), jumpy plot and useless sound track (I have heard people call the silence tense, watch The Hurt Locker for a good example of that) The worst movie I have ever seen, this is saying a lot seeing as I am a film student, have watched Birth Of A Nation and can usually enjoy ANY type of movie for one reason or another. No character development, boring characters (No the killer is not scary), jumpy plot and useless sound track (I have heard people call the silence tense, watch The Hurt Locker for a good example of that) NCFOM is just boring. If you like it and write good reviews for this film maybe you should actually watch it first. Expand
  21. DWilly
    Nov 9, 2007
    This movie makes the list of all time promising films that derail into crap. I know the critical numbers are high because the filmmaking is very strong (apart from using Josh Brolin, who just isn't up to the task, nevermind being repeatedly referred to in this contemporary setting as a Viet Nam vet, which would have put him in combat at around age five), but you can't, not only This movie makes the list of all time promising films that derail into crap. I know the critical numbers are high because the filmmaking is very strong (apart from using Josh Brolin, who just isn't up to the task, nevermind being repeatedly referred to in this contemporary setting as a Viet Nam vet, which would have put him in combat at around age five), but you can't, not only jerk the rug out from underneath your audience, but then go at them with a baseball bat as the story becomes devoid of clarity, humanity or point. Expand
  22. Joel
    Jan 20, 2008
    I'm with Steve and M B on this one its like the Coen bros. are paying the review crew to suck their cocks; the only reason I give this Boring ass movie a 1 is for the cool ass Air gun and thats IT.
  23. Aug 21, 2011
    I think they are ill. After about an hour one no longer cares who lives or dies. My own life experience is utterly at odds with what is shown. We are told that the theme is biblical. Tosh. I repeat: I think that the Coen brothers are ill.
  24. Aug 24, 2011
    This film is a steaming pile of **** and one of the worst movies I have ever scene 0 out of 10
  25. TinoR.
    May 3, 2008
    Rented the video for a dollar at a vending machine in the local drug store. It wasn't even worth the dollar.
  26. Stung47000
    Jan 20, 2009
    Who told Hollywood that in order to make an original movie nowadays you have to make it suck at the end? The movie was a 10 until the last act, but then it ended so god-awful it actually deserves a negative score for failing so hard!
  27. LarryT.
    Nov 13, 2007
    The pretentious laughter in the audience was the worst part of this film.
  28. Oct 7, 2012
    This movie sucked. There's a reason why it lost money at the box office, and was winner at the least-watched Academy Awards of all time. That reason is this: it's boring, pretentious, and shoddily made.
  29. Aug 29, 2010
    I thought this movie was such a waste of time that I have gone out of my way to write a review. As it is based on a fictional work (book) there seems to be no logical sence for brutal violence then for pure entertainment. I don't find brutal and senseless violence entertaining. I do not find it artistic or enriching or in any way psychologically interesting.
    The movie did not have the
    The movie did not have the riveting plot or entertainment value of Silence of the Lambs or Pulp Fiction. It did not have strong characters such as Tommy Lee Jones in the Fugative whith it's suspence. There was no witty dialogue or great music.
    In my opinion the movie lacked everything in quality. The ending was a total letdown as if someone who was working on the ending just handed it in unfinished and left.
    72 people were murdered in Mexico last week - do people find that entertaining? I understand that art is up to interpretation but just as there are great works of art there are really poor ones. A broken lightbulb on a wet floor at the Guggenheim that is exhibited for a month draws reaction and it is weak - just because something is new and has not been done before does not mean that it is great art and good. Awarding this piece of dung with an academy award takes away from all the great productions which have been awarded in the past and cheats the public into thinking that any junk, no matter how bad it is will be great and worth enduring and spending your money on just because it was awarded and got great reviews. This movie is one of the worst ever and a disgrace to have been awarded. Javier Bardem Bardem is a good actor in many things - not an academy award winner in this one. The Coen brothers should pay me back for my time wasted watching their junk but I will know better in the future. I am watching every Best Picture Academy Award winner and about 60% of the way through, this is by far the worst movie. Had it not been on the list I would not have bothered to watch it until the end.
    Don't waste your time or money. Sensless violence can be had daily on the news.
  30. AnonymousMC
    Feb 3, 2008
    The beging was great! had all the makings of a good movie......then it just flat out sucked. All of the plot just came to a crashing end, they didnt even show how the hotel scene went down. How can the main charicter just be cut out of a movie with no explination? And, just when you think you might get some get some little closer on the film, the damn credits come on. How anyone in thereThe beging was great! had all the makings of a good movie......then it just flat out sucked. All of the plot just came to a crashing end, they didnt even show how the hotel scene went down. How can the main charicter just be cut out of a movie with no explination? And, just when you think you might get some get some little closer on the film, the damn credits come on. How anyone in there right mind would say this is the best movie of the year, I don't know. It was a horrible way to end a movie, and makes me think that I should be a director. Becasue anyone could do that and make millions of dollars. If all you have to do is make a few exciting shooting scenes and then roll the credits. Who would chose that as a job. Expand
  31. LaurenceE.
    Jul 6, 2008
    I saw this movie on dvd at home on a big screen projector.Maybe it was a different version to the one at the cinema.. I thought it was a predictable story with no twists of any great substance. I was not on the edge of my seat nor was it a thriller or heart stopping. Some of the acting was ok but I was disappointed overall. I would not recommend this movie to anyone.
  32. FrankMonteleone
    Jan 7, 2008
    The key to going to the movies is fairly simple, to be entertained. When the movie is good, you feel as though you are part of the cinematic landscape, and you move with the participants. When it stinks, you know you are watching a movie, and feel very far from the screen. After a spirited start, I found myself drifting back into my seat, and watching an arcade game unfold before me.The key to going to the movies is fairly simple, to be entertained. When the movie is good, you feel as though you are part of the cinematic landscape, and you move with the participants. When it stinks, you know you are watching a movie, and feel very far from the screen. After a spirited start, I found myself drifting back into my seat, and watching an arcade game unfold before me. Contrary to those who have professed their love for this film, and McCarthy, I found no redeeming value or statement from this film. I found myself more and more annoyed at the 'puppets with guns' dancing through a non-reactive society. There are many ways to communicate the theme of an indifferent society, but an uncaring Sheriff appeared more expositional than thematic, and by the last forty five minutes, I was left wondering if the three teenagers sitting behind me who had already walked out on this snoozer were rbighter than me. The Emporer had no clothes, and No country was missing a plot. Expand
  33. TrickyH
    Feb 3, 2008
    This movie seems to be yet another vehicle for the cinema elite to demonstrate how much smarter they are than the rest of us. Take zaja's comments below. The guy in the cinema that didn't like the movie was not just a guy but a "loud guy": an oaf. Likewise, to understand this movie you have to think "like a grown up." By deduction, if you don't like the movie you must be This movie seems to be yet another vehicle for the cinema elite to demonstrate how much smarter they are than the rest of us. Take zaja's comments below. The guy in the cinema that didn't like the movie was not just a guy but a "loud guy": an oaf. Likewise, to understand this movie you have to think "like a grown up." By deduction, if you don't like the movie you must be childlike. Zaja's main point seems to be that the movie is great because it breaks out of the conventional stereotype, ironically he/she can't seem to break his/her own thinking away from typecasting individuals based on their response to this movie. When we play the moviegame we invest in a story by suspending our disbelief. We are prepared to overlook shortcomings in the way the story is told for the sake of the story itself. This movie requires a sizeable investment: there are significant plot holes, improbable scenarios and incredulous character actions (hint: when you find a psychopath sitting in your bedroom don't sit down beside him but make a run for the door.) When we play this game we have a right to expect a return on our investment. Unfortunately, when it comes time for payback in this movie, we find that the storyteller has skipped town leaving us with a plot deficit. So to all the critics who "got this movie," I got it too - I just didn't like what I got. It left me with the same uneasy feeling I get when someone puts their hand out to shake and then pulls it away at the last moment as a joke. Expand
  34. GARYA.
    Feb 21, 2009
    Obscure, but without depth.
  35. MS
    Jul 2, 2009
    After what seemed to be a somewhat interesting cat and mouse movie hits a nice brick wall and I don't just mean the ending as some people did not understand. Plot: A serial killer trying to get back 2 mil in drug money. Money, killer, southwest USA - not much to understand and definitely not something you haven't seen before in a nice made for TV movie. But besides that point, After what seemed to be a somewhat interesting cat and mouse movie hits a nice brick wall and I don't just mean the ending as some people did not understand. Plot: A serial killer trying to get back 2 mil in drug money. Money, killer, southwest USA - not much to understand and definitely not something you haven't seen before in a nice made for TV movie. But besides that point, to remind you that Javier Bardem who is a good actor and a decent serial killer in this movie, won best supporting actor at the Academy's for literally walking around and into different hotel rooms and killing random people who we don't care about. Oh, ok - occasionally he would give some psychotic speech that a smart serial killer should do in these kind of movies, ya know, the speeches that try to justify why he's killing people. So here's a scene about an hour and a half into the movie (spoilers): A woman is seen trying to get moss to have a couple of beers with her. 30 seconds later, Sheriff Bell finds him in a puddle of blood. Oh, that's nice, just show the killer kill all the pointless human beings in the movie, but when it comes down to one of the main characters, just show him that he's dead. Then, the remainder (15 minutes or so) of the movie is of this Tommy Lee Jones cop character who all we know is a cop up to this point. This guy was only seen in about 3 or 4 scenes prior to this point and we are supposed to care about the fact that he cannot go out and catch this killer because he is to old. Oh he had 2 dreams that basically told him his "reality." Give me a break. Oh wait - we have to like this movie because there's symbolism because if movies have symbolism we have to love them and give them awards. "It's free will and chance that the killer goes around and kills people. It's morality, it's deep, it's dark, it's meaningful." Really? So in every other movie that you see that a guy kills somebody, you can't apply THESE SAME THEMES of free will and chance? Take some advice here, if you want symbolism, read a John Steinbeck book. If you want symbolism and murder, read Watchmen. At least it has a point and more than enough symbolism. I really do not like much of the Coen Brothers' movies, especially Fargo. Watching No Country for Old Men makes me even hate Fargo even more. The Coen Brothers want to portray how Tommy Lee Jones is too old to go out and catch this killer but in Fargo, a 7 month pregnant woman can shoot down a psycopath in a snowy day in North Dakota. Go figure out that logic. Expand
  36. FredB.
    Mar 23, 2008
    Since the movie was so slooow and the plot somewhat confusing, at least we deserved a satisfying ending. But no, we are left with the key situation unresolved, our heads shaking with the disappointment of wasting two hours for what -- a lot of violence (between the slow parts) and a new way to kill people, which some idiot will now probably try to duplicate. It's not that the lack of Since the movie was so slooow and the plot somewhat confusing, at least we deserved a satisfying ending. But no, we are left with the key situation unresolved, our heads shaking with the disappointment of wasting two hours for what -- a lot of violence (between the slow parts) and a new way to kill people, which some idiot will now probably try to duplicate. It's not that the lack of resolution by itself was the downfall: as others have said, the rest of the movie just wasn't that interesting (primariy because it drags), so we need a good ending to save this movie. Don't waste your time or money. Expand
  37. JosephS.
    Apr 22, 2008
    This movie had such promise for the first half, but derails somewhere along the way. If you enjoy movies that focus on quirky characters and symbolism far more than a good storyline and plot, than this might be for you. Extremely disappointing.
  38. JoeW.
    Nov 16, 2007
    Boo!
  39. MattS.
    Nov 25, 2007
    This movie punches you in the face with how horrible it is, mostly because of the praise it has received from the tongues of many critics. Does this movie have a moral? Sure it does. But this no a rant, or a sermon - it is a movie, and it has to function as one. That is where No Country stumbles. I have no sympathy for Moss; I could care less if he is injured or killed. The pacing is slow This movie punches you in the face with how horrible it is, mostly because of the praise it has received from the tongues of many critics. Does this movie have a moral? Sure it does. But this no a rant, or a sermon - it is a movie, and it has to function as one. That is where No Country stumbles. I have no sympathy for Moss; I could care less if he is injured or killed. The pacing is slow to the point absurdity, and it gives the movie a suffocatingly heavy feel. Which would be fine, if the moral complex, or a big emotional pay-off ever arrived. But it never does. Save your time - Instead of going to see No Country for Old Men, go listen to your grandmother talk about when that pretty high-school student was brutally murdered in 1920. You'd get the same point. Expand
  40. DavidMarx
    Dec 31, 2007
    I will come out and say it, this is the worst movie I have ever seen. And I'm being completely honest about this. I will also come out and say that this is the scariest movie I have ever seen. And it is not like the kind of scary where you scream and then laugh with your friends. This is the kind of scary where you literally are considering leaving the theatre.
    And I'm not
    And I'm not saying that this movie was poorly made, don't get me wrong. The imagry and sense of emotion is paramount! But it had no climax and the plot was only visited every once and a while. You would think that the movie would end when ****SPOILERS**** Moss was killed by the Mexicans, but no, it continues with boring and seeminly irrelevent talking sequences with the police chief. I came out of it dissapointed and releived it ended.

Also, the ending sucked. ****SPOILERS***** After Moss died, the psychopath broke into Moss's wife's house and KILLS HER. Then as he's driving away he gets hit by another car, and guess what, HE WALKS AWAY. It's like giving a middle finger to everyone who managed to watch the whole thing.
  41. JasonS.
    Apr 16, 2008
    All I can say about this movie was the ending is a huge letdown. I realize that the Coens were aiming for symbolism and mystery in a dramatic finish, but it just didn't work for me.
  42. ZacH.
    Sep 21, 2009
    Critics like boring movies this is one of them but the ending is no joke the worst ending to a movie of all time it ends with the cop talking about his dream.
  43. Oct 23, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie may be "a piece of art" and work on many different psychological levels but they clearly forgot that it had to make sense. This movie doesn't even have an ending, it just proves that psychopaths have the tendency to kill people when armed with a cattle gun and facing a bunch of morons who are so stupid they probably only just manage to dress themselves in the morning. For example the guy who was stopped by Bardem in a police car: When noticing that he had no badge or uniform and was carrying a cattle gun as a sidearm, he thought that listening to whatever he said (even to the point of getting shot in the face) was the best idea. Or Brolin bringing water back to a man who was clearly going to be dead and not even considering that people will look for the money. Never mind the fact that the movie went nowhere slowly and somehow no-one cares or fears a serial killer on the loose apart from 2 cops, they could have at least make it look like they cared about movie. Expand
  44. Jan 22, 2014
    After just seeing the Coen Brother's masterpiece "Inside Llewyn Davis" I decided to go back and re-watch some of their previous movies. I started with No Country for Old Men. I have tried very hard to enjoy this movie and see what all the fuss is about but I can't. It is a great looking movie and some interesting scenes especially the shootout where Llewellyn and Anton first butt heads,After just seeing the Coen Brother's masterpiece "Inside Llewyn Davis" I decided to go back and re-watch some of their previous movies. I started with No Country for Old Men. I have tried very hard to enjoy this movie and see what all the fuss is about but I can't. It is a great looking movie and some interesting scenes especially the shootout where Llewellyn and Anton first butt heads, but that's about it. First off, I thought Anton Chigurh was a terrible character. Everyone says how menacing he is, but he's just ridiculous. Secondly, I don't get Tommy Lee Jones significance. His character doesn't do a damn thing in the whole movie and serves virtually no purpose. Josh Brolin did a really good job as per usual, but besides that, the movie is just bland and overblown to be something it obviously isn't. Expand
  45. Feb 26, 2013
    Slow paced and entirely unsatisfactory pretentious hipster bullcrap. So many things done wrong: pacing is slow, uneventful, crappy ending. It was 2013 when I saw this movie, so I guess analogy like "No country" is Mass Defect 3 of the film world would make sense
  46. Oct 7, 2013
    Javier Bardem deserves every award he got in this film. A dedicated and masterful performance. Movie-wise details though, the film grips my attention during tense chases between Llewelyn and Anton. Concept-wise, rather flat and I understand the ending but as a first watch experience, it is utterly disappointing. The book is a masterpiece and I commend the Coen Brothers for their attempt toJavier Bardem deserves every award he got in this film. A dedicated and masterful performance. Movie-wise details though, the film grips my attention during tense chases between Llewelyn and Anton. Concept-wise, rather flat and I understand the ending but as a first watch experience, it is utterly disappointing. The book is a masterpiece and I commend the Coen Brothers for their attempt to adapt the book, but as a book-to-movie, it just doesn't work. Expand
  47. DavidFoster
    Jan 3, 2008
    Pointless dark murderous humor was impressive and shocking to me in 1997, when I was 19... as were "deep cinematic messages." But now I require real plots, or at least character development in order to invest genuine interest in a film. Any 14 year old in the world could have thought up these plots and characters. And cool cinematography is for photographers - not filmmakers. This is whyPointless dark murderous humor was impressive and shocking to me in 1997, when I was 19... as were "deep cinematic messages." But now I require real plots, or at least character development in order to invest genuine interest in a film. Any 14 year old in the world could have thought up these plots and characters. And cool cinematography is for photographers - not filmmakers. This is why it's so hard to make good movies. And this is why the Coen Brothers are not good at it... unless you're a pseudo-intellectual film geek easily impressed by contrived brilliance and pretentious filmmaking. Expand
  48. AnonymousMC
    Jan 3, 2008
    Cinematography, Directing, Casting, Art Direction, Acting, and other technical aspects are all spot on. Even the writing is superb. The movie has some incredible dialog and more than a few scenes that shine. It's just that the movie doesn't take you anywhere and leaves you wondering why the Coen's bothered. I saw the film opening day because I am a fan of the Coen'sCinematography, Directing, Casting, Art Direction, Acting, and other technical aspects are all spot on. Even the writing is superb. The movie has some incredible dialog and more than a few scenes that shine. It's just that the movie doesn't take you anywhere and leaves you wondering why the Coen's bothered. I saw the film opening day because I am a fan of the Coen's but was confused and disappointed by the movie. I honestly felt that I had missed something in the movie (and, in fairness, perhaps I did). I was going to ask my very astute freind who attended with me to explain the movie to me, when he turned to me and said, "let's stay through the credits to see if there's another short scene that will tell us what this movie was about. "
    The movie to me was like a father who promises his child a trip to Disneyworld and then takes time to get the kid excited by showing him pictures of Disneyworld, telling him about Disneyworld, introducing him to the cartoon characters he'll meet at Disneyworld, even going so far as to put him into the car, luggage and all, to leave for Disneyworld, and then at the last moment says, "we're not really going to go to Disneyworld."
    That's what the movie did for me. It's not just that it made me hope for something I didn't get - it's worse than that - it's that it gave me every reason to hope and then dropped me flat on my face. The very things that are so right about this movie are what make it all the more disappointing in the end. It just seemed like a cruel joke on the viewer rather than a bad movie.
    Never-the-less, the pictures of the Disneyworld it showed where high-def, color corrected glossies, and they looked really nice.
  49. TomT
    Feb 24, 2008
    A waste of a couple of hours. Sure the critics say it is great film didn't see the whole movie. It starts with a reasonably interesting overly violent movie and turns into mush. It seems it takes until the end of the movie for the director to learn that it is possible to explain a murder without showing it on screen.
  50. MaureenF
    Feb 3, 2008
    Violent & with no point! No way - no how is this movie worthy of any awards, individual actor awards or even as a "best movie" award. Pulp Fiction with a western theme to it, except much better use of actors in Pulp Fiction. Ridiculous and gorie movie....I hated seeing Tommy Lee Jones in such a horrible film. Were giving awards to men who act as pointless killers with "principal"...give Violent & with no point! No way - no how is this movie worthy of any awards, individual actor awards or even as a "best movie" award. Pulp Fiction with a western theme to it, except much better use of actors in Pulp Fiction. Ridiculous and gorie movie....I hated seeing Tommy Lee Jones in such a horrible film. Were giving awards to men who act as pointless killers with "principal"...give me a break. Expand
  51. chad
    Feb 4, 2008
    Let me summarize No Country for Old Men- 1st 1/3 of the movie is slow, boring, and dull. 2nd 1/3 of the movie is suspenseful, interesting, and exhilarating. And the 3rd 1/3 of No Country is depressing, pointless, and unsatisfying. Javier does a good job acting, and is a unique villain with some good dialogue and scenarios, but he is completely one dimensional. Honestly, Casey Affleck Let me summarize No Country for Old Men- 1st 1/3 of the movie is slow, boring, and dull. 2nd 1/3 of the movie is suspenseful, interesting, and exhilarating. And the 3rd 1/3 of No Country is depressing, pointless, and unsatisfying. Javier does a good job acting, and is a unique villain with some good dialogue and scenarios, but he is completely one dimensional. Honestly, Casey Affleck should win for best supporting actor, but because all the critics have there noses in No Country's crack that wont happen. Tommy Lee plays a completely wasted character and never does anything to help push the plot forward and in the end you will just wonder why he was even in the film to begin with other than to draw fans. The main character/protagonist does an adequate job but something off screen happens part of the way through the movie that doesn't make sense. I truly believe, as do a lot of reviewers here and everyone in the theatre with me, that this movie has one of the worst endings in the history of film. If you're not one of those people who stare at an abstract painting to simply figure out what its meaning is (like JG H pointed out below) then you are going to be left entirely disappointed once the credits start rolling. Or maybe you wont be disappointed and you will assume that there has to be more, and wait till the credits end to find out there isnt like many people in the theatre did. Critics are entirely wrong on this film. If you want to see an action movie go watch the bourne ultimatum, which by the way got an 84 overall rating on metacritic, if you want to see a western film go watch 3:10 to yuma where the characters have much more depth, and finally if you want to watch a movie that has beautiful camera work go watch the assassination of jesse james. This movie is not worthy of any of these high reviews. You will agree with my summary in the beginning, you will realize the critics just praise and worship everything the coen brothers do for absolutely no reason, and most importantly you will realize how horrible the ending is. Expand
  52. CoryG
    Mar 14, 2008
    There were some good parts... SOME, but the rest of it was just a let down. I really dont understand why this movie won so many awards.
  53. AaaB.
    Mar 16, 2008
    Uhggg... I'd like my 2 hours back. Waaaaay over rated. I don't see what all the critics were raving about! This is an average movie AT BEST. There were maybe two tense scenes and the rest was useless filler. Unbelievable that this would get an Oscar. Hollywood is smokin' crack if this is the best film of the year!!
  54. elenakarpova
    Mar 18, 2008
    I dont see what all these people are waving to..But we all should consider why oscar Committee gave it an oscar, which I think , Like everything in america jewish lobbie works a lot.Except its cinematic measures, the movie is a crap and actually does not deserve an Oscar.No one sane or non-jewish can say that it was a masterpiece. Coens in the past, did better movies to be nomited asI dont see what all these people are waving to..But we all should consider why oscar Committee gave it an oscar, which I think , Like everything in america jewish lobbie works a lot.Except its cinematic measures, the movie is a crap and actually does not deserve an Oscar.No one sane or non-jewish can say that it was a masterpiece. Coens in the past, did better movies to be nomited as masterpieces like Fargo. Expand
  55. Markus
    Mar 2, 2008
    I just saw the movie last night with a few friends. We got excited only to be dismayed. I don't know what the critics are raving about. Feeling sorry for the Coen Brothers is more like it perhaps??. The movie was exciting for a while albeit horrificly bloody for the masses but the ending put it in the "Crummy" category as one of the worst movies of the year. Hollywood, like our I just saw the movie last night with a few friends. We got excited only to be dismayed. I don't know what the critics are raving about. Feeling sorry for the Coen Brothers is more like it perhaps??. The movie was exciting for a while albeit horrificly bloody for the masses but the ending put it in the "Crummy" category as one of the worst movies of the year. Hollywood, like our foreign policy these days, has gone blind in seeing through the muck. Save your mulla on this one. It Expand
  56. TheBest
    Mar 30, 2008
    The movie was probably the worst i've seen, there was too little information on everything. There were times when some scenes they really didn't even need. The ending was horrible and the main guys death wasn't shown in the movie. You don't get to see what happened to the characters in the end.
  57. LeeC.
    Mar 30, 2008
    This movie was one of the worst movies I have ever seen - I hated the ending and hated the multitude of "why's" left hanging at the end = why anybody would watch such abysmal drival is beyond me.
  58. AudreyC.
    Mar 3, 2008
    When I spend my time watching cinema, I at best expect to see a complete and thought provoking piece of art. This work failed on both counts. The violence was for the most part pointless. Holes in the narrative dangled like nagging prepositions. The nonending simply confirmed my firm conviction that I had wasted valuable time that could have been better spent EVEN IN A LAUNDROMAT!!!
  59. aaron
    Mar 7, 2008
    this movie was the biggist piece of pointless dribble ive ever seen, somehow a mentaly challenged cowboy 4 no good reason returns 2 the seen of a shoot out in the middle of the night,2 give water2 a guy who was nearlydead 8 hours ealier, gets away again then stays in town waiting 4 the killer,what the f--k. there was no real stoy and tommy lee jones seems 2 b there 2 dribble down his own this movie was the biggist piece of pointless dribble ive ever seen, somehow a mentaly challenged cowboy 4 no good reason returns 2 the seen of a shoot out in the middle of the night,2 give water2 a guy who was nearlydead 8 hours ealier, gets away again then stays in town waiting 4 the killer,what the f--k. there was no real stoy and tommy lee jones seems 2 b there 2 dribble down his own shirt in some lame attempt at wisdom, myself and everyone i watched it with was just left baffeld at 2 what the piont of this film was, waist of time. Expand
  60. LeoM.
    Apr 13, 2008
    Plodding display of meaningless violence. No redeeming qualities at all.
  61. JonathanK.
    Apr 18, 2008
    This movie was terrible. It was nothing more than an anti-climatic clusterf*ck that does nothing more than waste 2 hours of your time to feed you some message that the world is a terrible place.
  62. LWeeks
    Apr 25, 2008
    I agree with Joseph S. and SK, how on earth did this movie get such rave reviews. It started out very entertaining, but by the end of the movie, I was ready to go to sleep. It seems as though they did not know how to end such a great beginning, so they just killed everyone off and said the heck with it. YUCK
  63. Michelle
    Apr 26, 2008
    The movie had potential right up until you popped it into the dvd player. the story sounded good, execution sucked. You are left wondering why about too many things...Don't get me wrong I like movies that make you think and make you wonder but you need SOME details to why or else it's just pointless killing and it was so slow. I did not develop any feelings for any characters in The movie had potential right up until you popped it into the dvd player. the story sounded good, execution sucked. You are left wondering why about too many things...Don't get me wrong I like movies that make you think and make you wonder but you need SOME details to why or else it's just pointless killing and it was so slow. I did not develop any feelings for any characters in the film so I really didn't care if they lived or died. And since when does a good movie let the bad guy get away and as much as I love Tommy Lee, I can't believe he would play a character that can be classified only as a quitter. Awful waste of 2 hours! The only reason I didn't give it a 0 is because, again, it had potential and it had Tommy Lee Jones in it. Expand
  64. LindaW.
    Apr 26, 2008
    The ending ruined the whole movie.
  65. TedK.
    Jun 20, 2008
    This was a good chase movie until a dramatic shift marred the last third or so. The "ending"--if one can even call it that--was one of the worst I've ever seen. The emperor's-new-clothes crowd like to mock you as a simpleton if you don't appreciate how "deep and thought-provoking" the ending is--all the while failing to say what makes it so deep or thought-provoking. This was a good chase movie until a dramatic shift marred the last third or so. The "ending"--if one can even call it that--was one of the worst I've ever seen. The emperor's-new-clothes crowd like to mock you as a simpleton if you don't appreciate how "deep and thought-provoking" the ending is--all the while failing to say what makes it so deep or thought-provoking. Non-elitists know better. Expand
  66. KNob
    Sep 9, 2008
    This movie started with an improbable story line that led no where. This was a total waste of time.
  67. AnonymousMC
    Feb 3, 2009
    Probably the most overrated film of the year. I'm not gonna be harsh like G cash but I also won't defend the movie. I was bored for most of the film. As well, the ending left things out that needed to be resolved, questions that remained unanswered. I was at no time entertained during the film, even with some fantastic acting by Javier Bardem and Tommy Lee Jones. I really wantedProbably the most overrated film of the year. I'm not gonna be harsh like G cash but I also won't defend the movie. I was bored for most of the film. As well, the ending left things out that needed to be resolved, questions that remained unanswered. I was at no time entertained during the film, even with some fantastic acting by Javier Bardem and Tommy Lee Jones. I really wanted to like this movie...but I didn't. Expand
  68. Steve
    Jun 30, 2009
    I just don't get it. Really i don't. The praise that this film got just baffles more and more i watch this film. Yes i have watched this more than once because like i said i just don't get it. I wanted to but i mean ....
    For starters this is porbably one of the best acted and directed films in recent times. Some of the action and suspense parts are genius. But that's it, the movie is crippled with a ridiculous plot that just never goes anywhere. The main characters were completely dull and unfulfilling, as was the story, the plot progression, the ending. Some of the scenes were just completely void of sense.

The worst example was the whole motel, hiding the briefcase incident. My god what on earth was that 10 minutes all about? he messes about, hides a briefcase in an air vent adjacent to the next room, and prepares with others means for an intrusion. NOTHING happens with this, it was the most pointless and iratating scene in movie history.
    Don't get me wrong i like movies with subtlety, i like movies that make you think about their meanings. Hell i mainly watch japanese movies and anime which are horrible for people that don't like figuring out things for themselves. But this movie was just complete nonsense. A well produced and atmospheric film with absolutely no substance what so ever.
  69. DallinP
    Jul 13, 2009
    A movie with no real characters, no closure, and just a little plot. The only thing that separates this fil from other dumb action films like shoot 'em up is shoot 'em up has enough action to keep you entertained solidly for two hours.
  70. DougR.
    Nov 19, 2007
    would have scored it much higher, but for the ending... i won't spoil it here, but thought it was ridiculous in the extreme... a really terrific movie, right up to the point where it chooses to become a truly lousy one.
  71. JillE.
    Nov 22, 2007
    I hated this movie and I am a Cormac McCarthy fan! A better title would have been Two Weeks in the Life of a Psychopath. Great cast but extremely violent with no point that I could see. Hope to get it out of my mind soon.
  72. MicheleC.
    Nov 22, 2007
    This was the most boring movie I have ever viewed -- a total waste of money -- which is saying a lot, because I have seen some really bad flicks. I started to walk out -- I noticed four people did just that -- but felt I should give the film a chance. It started flat; it ended flat. I couldn't wait to get home and express my disappointment here.
  73. MG.
    Nov 24, 2007
    Do yourself a favor and don't trust the hype. While some of the scenes are great and oddly humorous, the movie is horrendously long and unsatisfying and in the end. In fact, it doesn't "end", it just stops, and most frustratingly so. None of the storylines are concluded, none of the issues resolved. The main character is killed OFF CAMERA about 20 minutes before the movie's Do yourself a favor and don't trust the hype. While some of the scenes are great and oddly humorous, the movie is horrendously long and unsatisfying and in the end. In fact, it doesn't "end", it just stops, and most frustratingly so. None of the storylines are concluded, none of the issues resolved. The main character is killed OFF CAMERA about 20 minutes before the movie's over, which turns that time into a meandering, unfocused and pointless mess. And let's not forget the scene before the credits roll, which is just about as necessary as herpes... or ebola. Those are two hours and 27 minutes I won't ever get back, in addition to the $8.75 I spent on it. I want my money, and more importantly, my time back. I feel robbed. And cheated. I fail to see the genius in it. It was just a self-congratulatory and massively dissatisfying movie experience, which doesn't have much to do with genius and a lot to do with hackness. My prediction: it'll tank at the box office, and for good reason. It's long, it's pointless, and it's poorly executed. Period. Expand
  74. JamesC.
    Nov 20, 2007
    Somebody has on no clothes and it ain't me. A groan inducing film that has lines only a writer who has not left his house in 20 years could write. Cliche after cliche are hurled at us expecting us to think it's brilliant writing . Don't be fooled by the critical repsonse. Ask yourself when you leave the theater, "Would I tell someone to go see this?" The answer should be no Somebody has on no clothes and it ain't me. A groan inducing film that has lines only a writer who has not left his house in 20 years could write. Cliche after cliche are hurled at us expecting us to think it's brilliant writing . Don't be fooled by the critical repsonse. Ask yourself when you leave the theater, "Would I tell someone to go see this?" The answer should be no , and don't be afraid that people may think you don't know a good film from a bad one. This is what they call a bad one. The 2 stars are for the worst haircut ever in a film worn by Bardeem. Gobble Gobble. Expand
  75. toosinbeymen
    Dec 26, 2007
    The film "No country for Old Men" was recommended by the metacritic as a great movie. I'm sorry but it was a completely gratuitous blood porn giving a pass to gross police incompetence of the "lone wolf" sheriff and his "country wisdom". The affect of this genre on our society is to view this casual brutality as the norm and sensible.
    With all respect, your judgement is flawed.
    With all respect, your judgement is flawed. Please, I encourage you to come back to earth, read some real literature, listen to Bach, pay attention to a string of good films to get your judgement back. But it's not just you.

Obviously the US film industry has sunk to this very low standard and is blindly stoking anxiety so high that we can barely recognize it for what it is; it's become so integral to our society.

Rolling Stone, Variety, Village Voice, Roger Ebert, Christian Science Monitor, the Onion, Premiere, USA Today, SF Chronicle, Boston Globe, LA Times, NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Time, Miami Herald, Baltimore Sun, Seattle Post-Intelligencer all gave it a maximum rating of 100 in metacritic.com like it was Shakespeare or Tolstoy. This is how warped we are as a society. This is how deep our numbness to wholesale death goes.

What should be called a low budget horror film is called "the most ambitious and impressive ... in at least a decade" by Salon and "for formalists ... it's pure heaven" NY Times. "I haven't seen a stronger or better American movie all year" Christian Science Monitor. "An indisputably great movie, at this point the year's very best" Rolling Stone.

When we use these words for this kind of film, small wonder the world thinks we're killers without remorse.
  76. MikeF.
    Dec 4, 2007
    I love the Coen Brothers and looked forward to this movie, especially because of the trailers and the critics' reviews. I had faith that all of the stuff that I was watching throughout the movie would turn into a spectacular ending. It did not. I cannot believe that anyone would give this movie anything more than a 7. It had its witty moments, but the ending ruined it for me. I haved I love the Coen Brothers and looked forward to this movie, especially because of the trailers and the critics' reviews. I had faith that all of the stuff that I was watching throughout the movie would turn into a spectacular ending. It did not. I cannot believe that anyone would give this movie anything more than a 7. It had its witty moments, but the ending ruined it for me. I haved watched O Brother Where Art Thou, Millers Crossing, Fargo, and Raising Arizona many times. When I see one of them on as I'm channel surfing, I almost always stop. I will never watch a single scene of No Country again. Expand
  77. BruceT.
    Dec 5, 2007
    The most violent, pointless movie I have ever suffered through. I guess they must pay you for the rating? I'll never trust meta-critic by itself again. I've liked other Coen Bros. movies.
  78. TimH.
    Dec 5, 2007
    This movie represents nothing more that gratuitous violence and nihilistic nonsense masquerading as high art. I can't believe the critics were so taken in. This doesn't come even close to Fargo which was fantastic. It's only the Coen brothers superstar status that allows them to market this crap. It's like Picasso doodling on a napkin and calling it art.
  79. DenisM.
    Dec 7, 2007
    Inspired acting and cinematography, but in the end, I felt as simply a voyeur in a West Texas drug culture slaughterhouse. Not up to Fargo.
  80. BillW.
    Dec 9, 2007
    Magnificently executed and imagined with humor and brilliant pacing. Performances were terrific. I hated it. At least they didn't kill and children or animals. But the blood and violence were depressing and disgusting. At the end, the only catharsis for me was a glorious re-acquaintance with the fact that even the worst experiences are finite. I left the theatre angry and needing Magnificently executed and imagined with humor and brilliant pacing. Performances were terrific. I hated it. At least they didn't kill and children or animals. But the blood and violence were depressing and disgusting. At the end, the only catharsis for me was a glorious re-acquaintance with the fact that even the worst experiences are finite. I left the theatre angry and needing both a shower and a keyboard with which to warn others. Expand
  81. Lev
    Jan 11, 2008
    This movie is a good example of how an idea deteriorates through the creative process. It's worse still in this case as the screenplay is adapted from a novel. As much as I appreciate the ideas and themes, be they McCarthy's or the Coens', the movie does not convey them well enough to warrant the fawning of most reviewers. It's commendable in terms of filmmaking craft This movie is a good example of how an idea deteriorates through the creative process. It's worse still in this case as the screenplay is adapted from a novel. As much as I appreciate the ideas and themes, be they McCarthy's or the Coens', the movie does not convey them well enough to warrant the fawning of most reviewers. It's commendable in terms of filmmaking craft insofar as the cinematography, dialogue, and acting are skillfully executed. As a whole, however, it doesn't work. It's not enough to rely on ideas to hold these elements together because the whole thing ends up being an intellectual excercise. It requires an emotive line of action as well, which isn't completely absent but poorly drawn this movie. That's why viewers can be bewildered at the end. It's an abrupt end because you don't feel as though anything has led you to it. We can call it clever and subversive because it means something beyond the film itself. It's not good enough, especially as it's by the same guys that made The Big Lebowski, which is almost flawless in all respects. The rave reviews aren't warranted; there's a hysteria around movies like these (abstract humour, unconventional, nihilistic, well shot) that's really frustrating, especially when we rely on critics for insightful judgements. And I agree with Larry T.: the pretentious laughter was the worst part. Expand
  82. RK
    Jan 12, 2008
    Anytime the antagonist walks away after killing everyone that has any decency about them, it makes me wonder why it made it to the screen in the first place. Oh wait a minute, we live it America and this is what real life really is all about. Bad people killing good, honest decent, hard working people. Let's glorify the villians so they can sleep well at night knowing they have put Anytime the antagonist walks away after killing everyone that has any decency about them, it makes me wonder why it made it to the screen in the first place. Oh wait a minute, we live it America and this is what real life really is all about. Bad people killing good, honest decent, hard working people. Let's glorify the villians so they can sleep well at night knowing they have put another notch in their gun. The only reason I went to see the movie is because of TLJ. I feel like this was a bait and switch. He was useless in his character and his tremendous talents wasted in this movie. Expand
  83. LloydM.
    Jan 12, 2008
    The movie was engaging, but every movie needs a beginning, middle and end. This movie had no ending. This may be a critics dream, but it left me and several others who went, wondering what was the point of this movie and why did we waste time and money to leave frustrated.
  84. MB
    Jan 15, 2008
    I have to admit I was excited to see this movie, however that only hightened my disappointment. This was an unengaging story of no signifigance that will not be enjoyed by anyone hoping to be entertained. yeah it was different, but I could not care less.
  85. Steve
    Jan 18, 2008
    I can not believe anyone likes No Country for Old Men. It is so unbelievably hailed as some kind of great movie that it makes me wonder who is paying off the reviewers or if the reviewers are real people. I bet this review will be burried big time! The plot goes no where but to a dead end! If you go, I will bet that you will regret having spent your good money on this violent junk while I can not believe anyone likes No Country for Old Men. It is so unbelievably hailed as some kind of great movie that it makes me wonder who is paying off the reviewers or if the reviewers are real people. I bet this review will be burried big time! The plot goes no where but to a dead end! If you go, I will bet that you will regret having spent your good money on this violent junk while there are so many better movies you could have gone to see. Believe me, I am a real person not on the take. I give this kone a big ZERO. Expand
  86. sedw.
    Jan 23, 2008
    Most UN-satisfying movie experience. Have seem something like this done better in Fargo. It leaves a lot of loose ends, does not follow through with the characters (lead character dies unexpectedly with no followup on that). Don't know what happened to his wife. Bad guy walks away. And the last hope, the Sherif, quits his job and ends the movie while talking about his dream.... Most UN-satisfying movie experience. Have seem something like this done better in Fargo. It leaves a lot of loose ends, does not follow through with the characters (lead character dies unexpectedly with no followup on that). Don't know what happened to his wife. Bad guy walks away. And the last hope, the Sherif, quits his job and ends the movie while talking about his dream.... Yawwwn. Please what's with all these high rating for this movie ?? Expand
  87. SibylP
    Jan 23, 2008
    I thought it was really bad. The shots of the desert were boring after the first 3, though the DP is tops. If you are going to do tough guy dialogue about flipping a coin for your life, it better be wittier than that. The plot made no sense -- the guy wouldn't get water for the shot guy, but then brings it hours later--weak. The lines between the couple were pathetic--completely I thought it was really bad. The shots of the desert were boring after the first 3, though the DP is tops. If you are going to do tough guy dialogue about flipping a coin for your life, it better be wittier than that. The plot made no sense -- the guy wouldn't get water for the shot guy, but then brings it hours later--weak. The lines between the couple were pathetic--completely cliched. Bardun was so busy acting like he wasn't acting. Tommy Lee Jones totally milked the sad old sheriff thing. What a waste of $11.00. What's wrong with all those critics? Expand
  88. JeffA
    Jan 26, 2008
    What I liked about NCOM Javier Bardem could be the greatest villain of all time. He stole every scene and basically redefined evil. Acting performances and cinematography was outstanding. First half of the movie was intense and just seemed to keep building up. Now the bad stuff So many flaws that I don't know where to start. The film leaves so many questions unanswered. No character What I liked about NCOM Javier Bardem could be the greatest villain of all time. He stole every scene and basically redefined evil. Acting performances and cinematography was outstanding. First half of the movie was intense and just seemed to keep building up. Now the bad stuff So many flaws that I don't know where to start. The film leaves so many questions unanswered. No character development whatsoever. There are scenes and characters in the film that just lead us astray and have no business being in the final cut. The lead is actually killed off screen after following his every move for 2/3 of the film. WTF? More plotholes than swiss cheese. Now its considered the greatest film of the decade. Greatest thing since sliced bread since the critics don't understand it. Could be the most overrated movie of all time. It stands at #23 of all time on the IMDB list as I write this. I'd like to add that its the only film on this incredible list that lacks an ending. Believe me, I wanted to love this movie. Mislead once again by the critics. They are all in together to rob us of our hard earned cash. Expand
  89. JohnH.
    Jan 26, 2008
    Reasonably good drama and acting, but relatively pointless plot and story-line. The ending leaves viewers stunned - not sure whether to leave the theatre -- or wait for the movie to continue playing through to the end AFTER the credits.
  90. TrevorA.
    Jan 29, 2008
    What a mess. The metaphors obliterate any chance of a coherent story. Can't comment on the significance of the final speech: I'd lost the will to listen to all the cliches by that point.
  91. PriyanthT.
    Jan 31, 2008
    Slow and boring. Too much of editing.
  92. AnonymousMC
    Jan 3, 2008
    Yeah, I know everyone says this is a thinker, and let me tell you I
  93. BruceW.
    Feb 10, 2008
    This is the worst ending to a good movie that I've ever seen in my life. It started to fall apart when it showed the main character was dead, after that the movie sucked. But the movies was building greatly at first. Too bad any one would think this ending is artsy.
  94. DD.
    Feb 27, 2008
    The least surprising movie the Cohen bothers have made. It
  95. KirkP
    Mar 13, 2008
    At the start it had you going. But like another said same old movie just different angle. Where is the uniqueness Ok A compressed air can gun WooHoo!! The ending is suppose to be original why change something that works?
  96. linda
    Mar 14, 2008
    Are you kidding? this is one of the best out of hollywood? truely sucked, what's the sequel gonna be called? no country for old women? can't remember the last movie i hated so much.
  97. AdamK.
    Mar 15, 2008
    I didn't get it, I guess. A mildly exciting movie at parts, but mostly it was deadly boring and without any real ending.
  98. Sharyn
    Mar 15, 2008
    why did I think it was a stupid movie full of stupid people who went through a series of events that made them look stupider? Was that the point? I could not suspend my disbelief because I just didn't think Brolin would be dumb enough to keep the money in its original case, not look for a trace, et cetera. I just kept going "why are they so stupid?" I thought the acting was great, why did I think it was a stupid movie full of stupid people who went through a series of events that made them look stupider? Was that the point? I could not suspend my disbelief because I just didn't think Brolin would be dumb enough to keep the money in its original case, not look for a trace, et cetera. I just kept going "why are they so stupid?" I thought the acting was great, but believable? No Way Even For Old Men. Expand
  99. MiltG.
    Mar 16, 2008
    The Coen Bros should be brought in front of a congressional panel and be forced to give our money back for any movies or dvd purchase. Maybe Anton Shugar was on HGH or steroids with Roger Clemmons. That would explain the violence on Anton's part in the movie and heck, they were both in Texas right...? I believe the same screenplay writers for " The Grifters" wrote the ending for this The Coen Bros should be brought in front of a congressional panel and be forced to give our money back for any movies or dvd purchase. Maybe Anton Shugar was on HGH or steroids with Roger Clemmons. That would explain the violence on Anton's part in the movie and heck, they were both in Texas right...? I believe the same screenplay writers for " The Grifters" wrote the ending for this piece of trash. Hollywood and the Coen Bros. goosed the movie public in the foulest way and are laughing all the way to the bank! I feel so used. Expand
  100. DianaChertova
    Mar 19, 2008
    I think those who doesnt "GET" are the ones who gave HIGH rating to this movie. They get what ? The violence or the stupid dialogs? There is nothing to get.and they just try to look intellectual by waving to a politically oscar winning film.To not to look stupdi, they say they understood something.What they undesrtood is nothing..

1. It’s a near masterpiece.
    Joel and Ethan Coen's adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's 2005 novel is an indisputably great movie, at this point the year's very best.
    It's the most ambitious and impressive Coen film in at least a decade, featuring the flat, sun-blasted landscapes of west Texas -- spectacularly shot by cinematographer Roger Deakins -- and an eerily memorable performance by Javier Bardem, in a Ringo Starr haircut.