7.6

1. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    No Country for Old Men was an amazing adaptation of the book by Cormac McCarthy. (I've actually read the book. That's why I can say that) The story was great, and the actors were extraordinary (mainly Javier Bardem).
  2. KenL.
    Mar 2, 2008
    Flawless!
  3. DavidShepherd
    Apr 2, 2008
    I absolutely LOVE this movie, it has some of the greatest acting I've seen, they either make you love them, or hate them, theres no in between. The intensity is so great, keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time. The ending is the only part that I don't like, there are so many questions and loose end that need to answered, it makes me so mad.
  4. KristofferD.
    Mar 13, 2008
    This movie was awesome! And as a Texan, the use of language and personality really hit home. It was great!
  5. FredC.
    Nov 29, 2007
    Best movie of the year, (so far). Well acted, and a great screenplay.
  6. Dec 22, 2010
    Some reasons why this movie is great... that the haters just seem to utterly miss. a) Superb cinematography focused on a bleak southern landscape that easily reflects the movie's naturalistic theme b) Motifs such as different portrayals of money determining fate c) Pithy dialogue in which the Coens' derive cornpone wisdom out of people who have seen too much (love the scene with the twoSome reasons why this movie is great... that the haters just seem to utterly miss. a) Superb cinematography focused on a bleak southern landscape that easily reflects the movie's naturalistic theme b) Motifs such as different portrayals of money determining fate c) Pithy dialogue in which the Coens' derive cornpone wisdom out of people who have seen too much (love the scene with the two retired lawmen in the desert shack near the end) d) Tommy Lee Jones, all wrinkled and angst-ridden about the state of the world when he should be looking forward to retirement. e) lots more but you can read critics reviews to find out what those reasons are. I'm not prone to giving out 10s unless something deserves it. I've seen this three times and it's as perfect as movies come. Some of the haters here are just downright pretentious while others really are too dumb to get a great piece of film making like this. Expand
  7. Feb 4, 2011
    A truely unique movie. An effective thriller and much more besides. Visually a joy. Perfect casting for the three male leads. Has the stamp of the Coen Bros: gentle humor slipping underneath great drama (and great violence).
  8. Dec 24, 2010
    Absolutely amazing film. This was probably the first movie that ever actually affected me in a big way. Perfect casting, amazing performance from Javier and a perfect use of pretty much no musical score whatsoever. It's a western, but not the type of western I had expected. So different from any other film I had ever seen before it, I really was blown away by the amazing direction. This isAbsolutely amazing film. This was probably the first movie that ever actually affected me in a big way. Perfect casting, amazing performance from Javier and a perfect use of pretty much no musical score whatsoever. It's a western, but not the type of western I had expected. So different from any other film I had ever seen before it, I really was blown away by the amazing direction. This is the type of movie I love. It isn't really moved along with action and suspense (though it has plenty of both), but by character interaction and dialogue. Potentially the best western of all time. Expand
  9. Dec 31, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. No Country for Old Men is an incredibly taut thrill ride. It starts off with Sheriff Ed Bell (Tommy Lee Jones) discussing to the audience the story about a 14 year old girl who was murdered by her teenage lover because of the fact that he had been in the state of killing someone for an enduring time. This really sets the mood for No Country for Old Men as Sheriff Bell quickly summarizes the evil that lies deep in our hearts, his voice is flat, calm, and delegate. This in turn he is able to grasp and pull in the audience to forebode what terror may lie ahead. Then we're able to witness a gruesome murder in the hands of Anton Chigurh, the antagonist. What's so strong about this whole opening act is that Bell analyzes the very true nature of mankind, and then we're able to witness it as a whole ourselves. This act is brilliant, truly brilliant. Jones delivers his small speech with such clarity and confidence that it all seems too real. The plot is mostly focused on the 3 main characters Sheriff Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones), Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin), and Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem). While hunting antelope in the Texan desert, Moss stumbles upon an unusual scene of a drug deal gone really wrong. There are a few scattered bodies everywhere and a dead dog. After finding at least a dozen kilos of drugs neatly placed in the back of a truck, Moss figures that the money is probably somewhere near. He makes his way from the site and finds a deceased man with a briefcase in his lap; the contents are 2 million dollars. Moss makes off with the money and leaves town. Chigurh, the most evil soul in films since Hannibal Lecter, tries to hunt down Moss at all costs to get the money back that he thinks is his own, Sheriff Bell is hot on the trail of both trying to hunt down Chigurh and trying to find Moss before Chigurh does. It sounds like a typical cat and mouse game but it really isn't. The Coen brothers formula works yet again and they are able to deliver a true one of a kind gem. The three main actors are simply flawless and amazing, Chigurh being the best villain since Hannibal Lecter, as said above. Jones is his normal self taking on a character that is broken and flawed and Brolin is simply dazzling. All three characters are intelligent, each depicting a different personality that exhibits each of their downfall later near the climax of the story. That saying, Chigurh is unbelievably evil, unbelievably obsessed with his prey, unbelievably haunting, and unbelievably funny. Never have I seen a character as creepy as Bardem's Chigurh that I have cringed and laughed at the same time, he is truly perfect. The many different shootouts that occur in the film either between Brolin and Bardem, or other characters alike, are mesmerizing at times. The quiet shots of the alleyway shootout between the two is astounding because the quietness leaves so much suspense that you're literally on the edge of your seat waiting for the next shot to be fired. That famous Coen dialogue is in here as well. There are key moments where it really comes to light, especially the gas station scene with Chigurh and the clerk he tries to play the fate of life with. The interactions between each character is flawless, they all display emotions, react to those emotions, and ultimately deliver a brilliant scene. What I think is the strongest part of the film, though, is about the last half hour. In that timespan we're able to see these 3 characters for who they really are and what their ultimate goal really is, though the predicaments they face make them fail ultimately and none of the trio really find and take what they were going for the entire time, and almost all three make away with something else entirely. What's great about that whole scene is that it leaves you to wonder after viewing how these characters fail. Could they have succeeded? Could they have crossed a fatal path with each other? Who knows, and this is what makes it all worth while and it makes you think long after. After many viewings its easy to spot the discrepancy of the characters and what makes them who they really are and you could easily spot the solutions that they could have accomplished in order to have succeeded in their quests. The ending is debatable of course but what's so achieving about it is that it ends abruptly, so abruptly like a smack to the face. It leaves you to wonder why it does that, why it ends on such a low depressing note that leaves you in darkness, and why it leaves you to decide wholefully. No Country for Old Men is a marvel to films, a simple masterpiece that pushes itself far beyond the other boundaries that other films have tried to accomplish. It's underrated in some aspects of course, mostly because of the ending but all in all it is a truly miraculous film that's simply flawless and simply astounding. It's a twisted story with beautiful moments that delves deep into the dark roots of human nature. Expand
  10. Sep 24, 2011
    Cormac McCarthy's national bestseller help the coen brothers make their first and finest adaption. No Country For Old Men, the bloodiest hell ride that shows the horror of the notorious psychopath kilter, named Anton Chigurh. This madman soon chases this guy named llewelyn Moss, a Vietnam veteran who finds a truckload of mexican brown dope and a case filled with ten million dollars inCormac McCarthy's national bestseller help the coen brothers make their first and finest adaption. No Country For Old Men, the bloodiest hell ride that shows the horror of the notorious psychopath kilter, named Anton Chigurh. This madman soon chases this guy named llewelyn Moss, a Vietnam veteran who finds a truckload of mexican brown dope and a case filled with ten million dollars in cash, with dead bodies laying around him. So llewellyn tries to keep the ten million so his wife can have all that she needs, then thats when chigurh comes in. The man in back of the situation is Ed Tom Bell, an old sheriff thats new to these kind of crimes (hence the title of movie), with 1980s mexican border problems, much more murders happen.

These three men are never really filmed together throughout the movie, even though its a chase movie, but it shows how the creative mind of the coens put a unique their in there movie, which makes it not very visible to you. I've also heard that it stayed true to the book, and has set a great visual to it as well. The originality of this film definitely makes it a much watch, and its the bloodiest from the coens I've seen yet. Javier Bardem shows his skills in new type of work, being Chigurh. His creepy looks (mostly the haircut) shows that the character is insane, has no sense of humor, and no sense of compassion or regret. His weapons are as unique as him, being some strange air tank that shoots through locks, and this shotgon with a gigantic silencer, which probably makes most of the gore in the movie. Nobody can play a better role as Llewelyn than Josh Brolin. growing up as a country man made this role easy for him, just acting like himself will be perfect acting. Tommy Lee Jones plays sheriff Ed Tom Bell, which Jones also said that the character he was playing was a lot like him as well as Brolin, like some of the parts was just like a natural conversation to him. No Country For Old Men has inspired me in so many levels. A movie this original, could be one of the best. This movie is one of the best of the decade, very close to "There Will Be Blood", and thats one good compliment.
  11. Jul 18, 2011
    The best movie I have seen in years. The story was compelling and the acting was incredible. The story and plot is not that predictable like other Hollywood movies -- so I was entirely hooked while watching it. Very well done!
  12. Jan 8, 2013
    Powerful, stunning, horrific, it must be another Coen movie!
    The Coen brothers pull the concept of this film off so well that it was more intense to see Tommy Lee Jones anxiety when approaching a crime scene than actually seeing any of said occurrence actually happen.

Another notable scene within the film is when Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem)walks into a gas station and responds to the shop
  13. Jun 1, 2012
    No Country for Old Men is the best Coen Brothers movie since Fargo. The highlight of the movie is the amazing cast, particularly Javier Bardem as the ruthless killer Anton Chigurh. His haircut alone will give you nightmares. Then there is the always great Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Woody Harrelson, and Kelly McDonald. But this is more than just a showcase of great acting, it is aNo Country for Old Men is the best Coen Brothers movie since Fargo. The highlight of the movie is the amazing cast, particularly Javier Bardem as the ruthless killer Anton Chigurh. His haircut alone will give you nightmares. Then there is the always great Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Woody Harrelson, and Kelly McDonald. But this is more than just a showcase of great acting, it is a technical masterpiece with amazing sound effects and film editing that really maximizes intensity and suspense. The story is one that has been told a thousand times before, but it's never been told quite like this. It doesn't follow the typical mold of a get away film. The good guys don't always win, and the bad guy doesn't always find justice. Furthermore, No Country has one of the best film endings of all time, even if others often claim it is anticlimactic or whatever it is they accuse it of being. I won't spoil the ending, but it fits perfectly and it has an allegorical meaning that really ties the whole movie together. Expand
  14. Apr 2, 2012
    First off, this is a 10 out of 10. It's an amazing masterpiece. Acting is amazing. Everyone gives Oscar worthy performances. There's not that much music but that adds to the intensity, and when there is, it's great. The story is phenomical. Its so intense and you just want to stay around to see what'll happen next. Overall, this is a masterpiece. No country for old men is a great thriller,First off, this is a 10 out of 10. It's an amazing masterpiece. Acting is amazing. Everyone gives Oscar worthy performances. There's not that much music but that adds to the intensity, and when there is, it's great. The story is phenomical. Its so intense and you just want to stay around to see what'll happen next. Overall, this is a masterpiece. No country for old men is a great thriller, great western, and a even better movie. This is highly recommended for anyone wanting to watch a good movie. Expand
  15. Feb 9, 2014
    Absolutely outstanding! The acting is spot on in all parts. It's magnificently written and manages to shock you and keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time. At the same time the writing manages to show many different walks of life in a heavily realistic fashion. The writing also amazing show cases the character progression of the villain, played by Javier Bardem and hisAbsolutely outstanding! The acting is spot on in all parts. It's magnificently written and manages to shock you and keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time. At the same time the writing manages to show many different walks of life in a heavily realistic fashion. The writing also amazing show cases the character progression of the villain, played by Javier Bardem and his performance solidifies his character as possibly one of the most memorable movie characters of all time. This film is a must watch plain and simple. Expand
  16. KH.
    Feb 10, 2008
    The story works at a few levels and some folks were only looking at the basic plot and hence disliked the compressed narrative near the end. Some stories concern themselves with more than just the relating of plot. This movie is one of the more complicated movies. If you're looking for shooting action with a bad guy and a hero, you'll be disappointed and give this movie a low score.
  17. AndrewJohnmeyer
    Dec 7, 2007
    Unsatisfactory resolution? Unclear plot and character motivations? Only if you are incapable of thinking for yourself. This is not a movie that everyone will like (obviously) but it is a fantastic movie for those who are willing to think about what they've just seen. One of the strongest points of this film is the sound/music editing, notably the strong role of silence in Unsatisfactory resolution? Unclear plot and character motivations? Only if you are incapable of thinking for yourself. This is not a movie that everyone will like (obviously) but it is a fantastic movie for those who are willing to think about what they've just seen. One of the strongest points of this film is the sound/music editing, notably the strong role of silence in sound//music editing in the film. In the absence of the usual barrage of sound, every click, scuff, and shuffle take on an unrivaled immediacy. Expand
  18. Oct 1, 2010
    My favorite movie. A misunderstood masterpiece. As complex as it is simple. As vague as it is clear. I have seen it eight times and it never gets old.
  19. Sep 19, 2011
    The Coen Brothers did it again; "No Country for Old Men" proceeds its way to the oscars as a quiet, deep movie that strikes the core of tension, a true masterpiece.
  20. FlorianW.
    Mar 8, 2008
    A stunning piece of cinema, personally, I think it's one of the best movies of the decade. The superb acting, to the minimalist, yet deep narrative that forced you to watch it mindfully and last but not least the immense amount of symbolism and deeper meaning elevate it to heights I thought unreachable for today's mainstream cinema. The ending was superb, it got my mind racing, A stunning piece of cinema, personally, I think it's one of the best movies of the decade. The superb acting, to the minimalist, yet deep narrative that forced you to watch it mindfully and last but not least the immense amount of symbolism and deeper meaning elevate it to heights I thought unreachable for today's mainstream cinema. The ending was superb, it got my mind racing, even if most questions were answered more or less. The final 20 minutes were far from boring either, the insights into Chigurh's fatalistic mindset, establishing his role as a quasi-angel-of-vengeance as well as the role of greed in the movie thrilled me. Highly recommended, even if I can't guarantee you'll like it - but that's how it is with art, it is discourse put into form. Where entertainment tries to please the masses, art seeks to challenge the mind. Expand
  21. Mar 10, 2013
    When it comes to great moving films that hook you up from the beginning to end, The Coen Brothers have it all. No Country For Old Men is so good you will clap at the climax, you will remember this movie for the rest of your life.
  22. NebojsaN.
    Mar 4, 2008
    Reading the reviews, there seems to be a clear divide between those who require their movie experience to be one where they can turn off their brains, go on autopilot and be spoonfed a neat little predictable package, and those who are bored by this approach and instead appreciate something with more depth and theme. The poor reviews, almost without exception, complain about gratuitous Reading the reviews, there seems to be a clear divide between those who require their movie experience to be one where they can turn off their brains, go on autopilot and be spoonfed a neat little predictable package, and those who are bored by this approach and instead appreciate something with more depth and theme. The poor reviews, almost without exception, complain about gratuitous violence, the early demise of the protagonist and especially the ending, which they perceive as a non-ending. In my opinion, the ending was perfect and brought home the whole point of the movie. Any other "neat" ending that some folks seem to crave would have made this a completely different kind of movie - a movie of cheap, gratuitous violence - and I'm sure they would have loved it. Basically, if you need everything spelled out for you in obvious, simplistic terms - you will hate this movie. Most everyone else will love it. Expand
  23. Aug 16, 2010
    This review contains spoilers. My personal pick for best film of the 2000's. The Coen brothers made their finest film here (yes that includes "Fargo") by perfectly adapting McArthy's novel into a Southern lament about fate and circumstance. I love the way the characters grow closer and closer and their stories twist tighter and tighter but never get to see each other. I love the way the Coens lead the audience deeper and deeper into an abyss of nightmares and darkness, forcing us to watch as Llewellyn is slowly but surely found and killed. I love the performances, not giving too much away, but letting its classical philosophies float throughout the air and recur multiple times before the end of the film in its beautiful poetic dialogue that is individualized so perfectly that we could never imagine another character trying to speak their words. I love the ambiguous ending, showing that the film is more about philosophy rather than "who lived, who didn't", and forcing modern audiences to realize that sometimes it's simply better to just not kno. I love this movie. Collapse
  24. Oct 14, 2010
    No Country For Old Men follows an antelope hunter, a man named Llewlyn Moss, who stumbles on a drug deal gone bad and takes a satchel stuffed full of money (Around two million dollars overall.) and from there on is relentlessly hunted down by Mexican criminals and a ruthless assassin named Anton Chigurh. Now, this might sound almost like a thin story, but it is pulled off perfectly. TheNo Country For Old Men follows an antelope hunter, a man named Llewlyn Moss, who stumbles on a drug deal gone bad and takes a satchel stuffed full of money (Around two million dollars overall.) and from there on is relentlessly hunted down by Mexican criminals and a ruthless assassin named Anton Chigurh. Now, this might sound almost like a thin story, but it is pulled off perfectly. The film takes place just after the Vietnam War in Texas. The movie has some amazing moments- you'll be on the edge of your seat as Anton chases Moss through the empty night streets of a Texan city, firing at the hunter with a silenced shotgun. But the movie isn't all guns and action, though those scenes are pulled off effortlessly. There are many meaningful characters, like Sheriff Bell, who is struggling to piece together the mass murders erupting on his streets. Really, I found my favorite character to be Anton Chigurh, the psychotic, incredibly intelligent character. Javier Bardem is so good at his role, it is simply shocking to see him in action. And the ending isn't a happy-crappy one where Moss becomes the big hero at the end and takes down his assassins; instead it is cold and almost slightly depressing. If you like action movies, a flick with a good story, or, hell, if you like movies in general, this is for you. Expand
  25. ChristosM
    Sep 4, 2009
    There's a fragile allegory lurking behind the scenes of this so called,alternative western and it's that of a human world loosing it's humanity,drifting away from values and ideals,surrendering to the fascinating corruption of money,violence and lust of power.In this pitch-dark universe of vulgarity,killers like Anton Chigurh rule supreme and the few humane existences There's a fragile allegory lurking behind the scenes of this so called,alternative western and it's that of a human world loosing it's humanity,drifting away from values and ideals,surrendering to the fascinating corruption of money,violence and lust of power.In this pitch-dark universe of vulgarity,killers like Anton Chigurh rule supreme and the few humane existences left,like Sheriff Llewelyn Moss,struggle to proove humanity's evil urges are not native and spontaneous,though facts tend to proove them wrong.Hollywood endings have no space in such films! Expand
  26. norab.
    Mar 8, 2008
    I am not one for violent movies - I get a gut-wrenching feeling that makes me tremble inside - and I trembled from the opening scene of this film. But I was mesmerized by the story line - I think Cormac McCarthy's story as the source for the this amazing movie is as sharp and brilliant as the western landscape it takes place in. The Coen Brothers have made a masterpiece.
  27. NathanielJ
    Dec 7, 2009
    This is a great black alternative western. It has a creepy yet undeniably cool villain, a protagonist that everyone wants to root for, and... Woody Harrelson. The movie shows how people can always die with dignity even if a serial killer with a humongous silenced shotgun is about to kill you. If you were watching this movie with the expectation of it being over hyped, then you screwed This is a great black alternative western. It has a creepy yet undeniably cool villain, a protagonist that everyone wants to root for, and... Woody Harrelson. The movie shows how people can always die with dignity even if a serial killer with a humongous silenced shotgun is about to kill you. If you were watching this movie with the expectation of it being over hyped, then you screwed yourself over. Expand
  28. JasonJ
    Apr 8, 2008
    The review from the Onion gets it right in its tag-line above: ''NCFOM reminds us that civilization is the aberration'; ugliness and evil are the norm in our world. That said: What if the film had a conventional ending, a shootout between Brolin and Chigurgh; and one of them got the money-- or perhaps neither of them? The film would likely have resolved with a formulaicThe review from the Onion gets it right in its tag-line above: ''NCFOM reminds us that civilization is the aberration'; ugliness and evil are the norm in our world. That said: What if the film had a conventional ending, a shootout between Brolin and Chigurgh; and one of them got the money-- or perhaps neither of them? The film would likely have resolved with a formulaic 'what is good?, what is evi? 'motif, probably thinking enough for most filmgoers. But that doesn't happen, and we are left with something much more difficult (or impossible) to digest. Jones will endure, like his father leading the way through the cold mountain pass, bearing the struggling, sputtering light into the unknown, into nothingness. And when our time comes, like Brolin's does (and Jones's will soon), none of us will see it coming. And the result? The world, with its default setting for ugliness, will continue to turn, unconcerned with us, or with our notions of good or evil and our struggles to define or contain either. And that's the message-- and it's bleak, no doubt. The film's draw for critics and other thinkers is this message, however; and it is precisely because it is far more sophisticated than a freshman philosophy resolution that would have left us questioning the nature of good and evil;or, heaven forbid, an ending that would have entailed the death of Chigurgh, the credits rolling on a final shot of a millionaire Brolin and his wife sipping Margaritas on a Mexican beach. The film's message is indeed nihilist, perhaps beyond nihilist; and it's great in the way that Macbeth is great, and for many of the same reasons. Expand
  29. DevinN.
    Dec 2, 2007
    Isn't it great that when people complain about this movie, it usually involves disdain at how well its rated? Excellent theme, excellent execution, brilliant film.
  30. JoyceC.
    Mar 2, 2008
    After reading most of the reviews given here, people start yapping about how crappy the ending was. Well, from my opinion, I thought the ending was neat. I overhear people walking out of the theatre saying, "where did the oscars come from.." or "that ending was awful." Well what did you expect, for Ed Tom Bell to catch Chigurh and arrest him and happily ever after. The ending of the film After reading most of the reviews given here, people start yapping about how crappy the ending was. Well, from my opinion, I thought the ending was neat. I overhear people walking out of the theatre saying, "where did the oscars come from.." or "that ending was awful." Well what did you expect, for Ed Tom Bell to catch Chigurh and arrest him and happily ever after. The ending of the film would basically end how it would in real life because people have to realize that the bad guy doesn't always win. And it was kind of strange, but people who hated the ending won't shutup about the fact that the film didn't turn out how you expected. Well, the Coen brothers surprise us with a weird ending. Do you think that the movie should've been neatly wrapped up with an expected ending? Apparently no, the Coen brothers ended it how it would in real life which was kind of cool from my point of view. I thought No Country was a very good movie with suspenseful moments and an exciting premice. It's neat how the title fits in with the story how its no country for old men. Though in the end, you actually cared about the characters and overall, No Country for Old Men was definitely worth my day. Expand
  31. OgdenJ.
    Nov 29, 2007
    Great filmmaking loved the philosophical musings at the end by the sheriff exceeds whatever genre expectations
  32. zaja
    Jan 27, 2008
    It's relatively easy to see why reviewers giving scores of 0 and 1 described the film as "disappointing", since it was devoid of any sense of resolution or redemption. It was, as many critics have said, one of the more bleak, nihilistic stories in a long time. I guess some people expect certain things from a film, and when their anticipations aren't met, well, the film must be It's relatively easy to see why reviewers giving scores of 0 and 1 described the film as "disappointing", since it was devoid of any sense of resolution or redemption. It was, as many critics have said, one of the more bleak, nihilistic stories in a long time. I guess some people expect certain things from a film, and when their anticipations aren't met, well, the film must be bad. What an uninteresting moviegoing experience that must be. For me, when a film defies my expectations, I experience what's called "surprise" (ala when protagonist is killed 2/3 before end, when film stops abruptly and bad guy wins, etc), a generally positive and entertaining experience, which forces me to re-think what have seen so far and/or expect to see, and makes me wonder what the purpose of such a cinematic twist could be. I believe this is the crucial moment where audiences split: being asked to think too much. As the credits rolled at the showing I saw, a loud guy in front of me told his girlfriend, "How do you pick these movies? Jesus Christ, you pick the worst movies." It irritated me, but it didn't surprise me. It's almost seems that for a given cultural product within art or film to be outstanding, the majority of the population has to really dislike it. And that's a shame. Even if the impeccable technical merits of the film were lost on someone, and the stellar writing, direction and acting were all overlooked, one cannot deny that the ideology that the filmmakers present provides the viewer with one hell of a tough, haunting knot of questions to tease apart for hours and days later. That's what made it great for me, that the film kept going even after it ended. It wasn't neat and easy, but challenging and unsettling. If you need a film to assure you that everyone lived happily ever after, then please don't see this film. If you don't mind being entrusted with some of the moral and intellectual heft of a film to mill around on your own, and conclude on your own, like a grown-up, then you are in for a treat. Expand
  33. MikeC
    Jan 19, 2010
    Movies just don't get much better than this. No Country for Old Men is a thrilling tale that will constantly keep you hooked. It will blow you away; absolutely a must see.
  34. TonyB.
    May 1, 2008
    Great film. Acting was incredible the story line was superb. I hate people commenting on the ending, the ending was extremly well done, it was how the story was supposed to end.
  35. EmmaR.
    Nov 30, 2007
    Best movie i've seen in years. if you have yet to see it, note the themes of duality, two sides of a coin, and fate. the coens are back!
  36. JacobE.
    Oct 18, 2009
    The best movie of the 2007. However, it was strange to have the main character part almost split in threes for Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, and Javier Bardem.
  37. TomB.
    Feb 20, 2008
    Awesome film, a great re-visit of the Coens first naive masterpiece (Blood Simple) combined with all their work since. The scenery and cinematography are magnificent, and the character development is pitch-perfect. Thosee characters that demand development get it, and those that must remain a mystery are haunting. I did not read the book so I have no idea what the story was "supposed" to Awesome film, a great re-visit of the Coens first naive masterpiece (Blood Simple) combined with all their work since. The scenery and cinematography are magnificent, and the character development is pitch-perfect. Thosee characters that demand development get it, and those that must remain a mystery are haunting. I did not read the book so I have no idea what the story was "supposed" to be, but the screenplay stands by itself as a complex, absorbing, mysterious, and ultimately satisfying tale. Not satisfying in the sense that all the circles were closed, by any means, by satisfying in that it made you think and enjoy doing your thinking. The actors' performances were spot on, and everything techincal about the movie was near-perfect. Expand
  38. CoreyH.
    Jan 12, 2008
    Umm... haven't seen it. I would, however, like to point out, that your prediction was completely wrong, M G. The film did exceptionally well at the box-office. Just because you didn't like it, don't assume that other people, who actually think when they watch a movie, won't.
  39. LindaS
    Feb 16, 2008
    My heart was in my throat from the very beginning of this movie and stayed there til the end. This was a definite Coen Bros. movie and possibly their best one yet. The fear that Bardem projected through the entire movie was so gripping that it needs to be seen twice - the monologues of Tommy Lee Jones (Sheriff Bell) were priceless - gave you the feeling that he was making them up trying My heart was in my throat from the very beginning of this movie and stayed there til the end. This was a definite Coen Bros. movie and possibly their best one yet. The fear that Bardem projected through the entire movie was so gripping that it needs to be seen twice - the monologues of Tommy Lee Jones (Sheriff Bell) were priceless - gave you the feeling that he was making them up trying to escape the overwhelming situation that was happening and he was helpless to correct it. Expand
  40. TylerC.
    Feb 6, 2008
    The Coen Brother's second perfect film. Acting, direction, cinematography, all exact.
  41. Jennifer
    Apr 4, 2008
    Could the guy with the lady do who only spoke what seemed to be five lines in the entire movie be any creepier! Although he didn't say much his presence in the movie was strong. Normally not the type of movie I would pick up but I am so glad I did. Make sure you see this movie. Yeah the movie feels like some things are left out or skipped but that is the style of this movie. Could the guy with the lady do who only spoke what seemed to be five lines in the entire movie be any creepier! Although he didn't say much his presence in the movie was strong. Normally not the type of movie I would pick up but I am so glad I did. Make sure you see this movie. Yeah the movie feels like some things are left out or skipped but that is the style of this movie. Don't score it down because everything isn't spelled out for you. I loved it. Best movie I have seen in a while. Expand
  42. JoeM.
    Apr 7, 2008
    Lean and mean, along with The Assassination of Jesse James my favourite film of last year. Both lensed by Roger Deakins coincidentally - or not, as his lonesome vistas and cool washes of colour add terrific intensity to both stories.
  43. KevinE.
    Jun 5, 2008
    inspiring, top movie I was glued to the screen wanting the main character to survive and ride off with the $$$.
  44. SteveD.
    Jan 4, 2009
    Great film, most enjoyable movie I've watched all year.
  45. KevinL.
    Nov 11, 2007
    Best American movie of the year, no doubt. Great contribution to the Western genre. NOT a Coen "black comedy," though, so I wish some critics would start reading it for the tragic contemplation about evil that it was written and directed to be.
  46. DanB.
    Nov 12, 2007
    Fantastic film on all levels. However the only reason I am voting is to let DWilly know that the film takes play in 1980. Therefore the lead character would have been in Vietnam just at the right time. Pay a little more attention next time. Coens, out!
  47. ChrisK.
    Nov 10, 2007
    Ridiculously good. 'No Country' will get under your skin and stay there; the Coen brothers' best since "Fargo."
  48. DK
    Nov 7, 2007
    Brilliant. One of the best films this year. Barden will lead a slew of Academy Award nominations.
  49. JackP.
    Dec 10, 2007
    "No Country for Old Men" is a masterpiece. It is the Coen brothers' best movie, and it only gets better with repeated viewings.
  50. TaylorB.
    Dec 4, 2007
    Some of the most impressive dialogue within the last couple of years. Excellent performances all around; I especially liked Tommy Lee Jones. Extremely well shot. Superb film.
  51. MitchellZ
    Dec 5, 2007
    NO ENDING? POINTLESS?! TOO BLOODY?!!!! I am amazed when I see comments like these. If you wanted Die Hard, go see die hard. If you want a taught, complex, visually stunning, beautifully acted, thriller that also actually speaks to the complex realities of the present world, GO SEE THIS FILM! No, there's no big finish. Yes, the pace is slower than most action flicks. And, yes, NO ENDING? POINTLESS?! TOO BLOODY?!!!! I am amazed when I see comments like these. If you wanted Die Hard, go see die hard. If you want a taught, complex, visually stunning, beautifully acted, thriller that also actually speaks to the complex realities of the present world, GO SEE THIS FILM! No, there's no big finish. Yes, the pace is slower than most action flicks. And, yes, character motivations are confusing, but not ill conceived. A great movie from start to finish. (I, personally, loved the ending(s)). Expand
  52. JL
    Dec 8, 2007
    I think that people need to remember a couple of things about this movie: 1. Comparisons to 'Fargo' are invalid. 'Fargo' was written for the screen by the Coen brothers. This was an adaptation of someone else's work. Also, criticizing this movie for being excessively violent in one breath and saying that 'Fargo' was great in the next seems rather I think that people need to remember a couple of things about this movie: 1. Comparisons to 'Fargo' are invalid. 'Fargo' was written for the screen by the Coen brothers. This was an adaptation of someone else's work. Also, criticizing this movie for being excessively violent in one breath and saying that 'Fargo' was great in the next seems rather incongruous. 2. If you were expecting a tidy ending to this movie,for it be wrapped up with a bow or a shootout at the OK Corral, then you went to the wrong movie in the first place. That is not the typical style of neither the Coen brothers nor McCarthy. In other words, don't criticize a movie because you had unrealistic expectations of it. On the other hand, if you are looking for a movie that tells a story exceedingly well, with all of the elements of first rate film making, then this is definitely for you. Expand
  53. DanP
    Awesome.
  54. JosephA.
    Dec 8, 2007
    Just when I thought not a single notable movie would come out of 2007 the Coen brothers deliver a classic. Excellent movie. I haven't been so engaged at the movies since Lord of the Rings.
  55. JeffJ.
    Jan 13, 2008
    This movie was not only completely entertaining and engrossing but is what filmmaking should be - magical. Evil manifested in the character of Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem) couldn't be more chilling. The unconventional plot line was surprising and perfect for a movie like this. And for a movie about killing, it's surprisingly restrained. This could have been a graphic portrayal This movie was not only completely entertaining and engrossing but is what filmmaking should be - magical. Evil manifested in the character of Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem) couldn't be more chilling. The unconventional plot line was surprising and perfect for a movie like this. And for a movie about killing, it's surprisingly restrained. This could have been a graphic portrayal of what a man will do to get what he wants but it was far more effective to omit most of the brutal acts. I will see this again. Expand
  56. ColinC.
    Jan 13, 2008
    A devastating film. The idea that TLJ is wasted in this movie is utterly missing the point of his casting. He brings with him your assumptions of the idealistic sheriff of movies past and the Coen Brothers dismantle it expertly. The viewer is rendered as impotent as Sheriff Bell in the face of the pure formidable evil of Anton. I'm jealous of people who were cinema goers when A devastating film. The idea that TLJ is wasted in this movie is utterly missing the point of his casting. He brings with him your assumptions of the idealistic sheriff of movies past and the Coen Brothers dismantle it expertly. The viewer is rendered as impotent as Sheriff Bell in the face of the pure formidable evil of Anton. I'm jealous of people who were cinema goers when Hitchcock was hitting his stride. Now less so. Expand
  57. TimW
    Jan 19, 2008
    The dialogue alone makes this movie worth watching. A very well written script.
  58. AaronC
    Jan 2, 2008
    Best adaptation of a book to film. It manages to deliver the masterful pacing and detail of Cormac McCarthy's novel while realizing the inferred tone, color, and character. In it's own right it's an expertly crafted, acted, and directed film. Casting deserves awards. The suspense was top quality, the jumps were deserved, and not a single thing was gratuitous.

As for the

As for the story, the plot, the bit that people seem to love or hate most, it is clearly a rarity. It never gives you what you expect, it never let's you rest and it certainly never lets you win. It's an amazing experience to read, and just as amazing on screen thanks to the Coens. It's something primal, it's something you're forced to internalize, and it's a reminder of your humanity. Writing and storytelling at it's bravest.
    I don't know what lead poor souls into the theater expecting a happy ending. I like paying admission for a new experience. Sorry, your happy ending, predictable dialogue, and hokey thrill scenes are waiting for you in the next theater down.
  59. LukeW
    Jan 22, 2008
    The single greatest film I have ever seen. Anyone who does not like this film understands nothing about not only the art of film-making, but that medium's ability to mirror the most fundamental questions of humanity. This movie strikes at the very foundation of what it means to be human in ANY larger society, and questions the whole concept of "good and evil", or "right and wrong". The single greatest film I have ever seen. Anyone who does not like this film understands nothing about not only the art of film-making, but that medium's ability to mirror the most fundamental questions of humanity. This movie strikes at the very foundation of what it means to be human in ANY larger society, and questions the whole concept of "good and evil", or "right and wrong". For those who prefer more dramatic films such as "Independence Day", review THEM, and not movies that you most certainly fail to understand. Expand
  60. LindaL.
    Jan 28, 2008
    Well, as of today I've seen all five of the "best picture" nominees. I have to say that this one -- bleak and nasty and violent though it is -- strikes me as the best. I sympathize with those who find the violence pointless. Hard to disagree. Yet the story and the acting and the cinematography are brilliant and haunting and a revelation. Can't say enough about Tommy Lee Jones as Well, as of today I've seen all five of the "best picture" nominees. I have to say that this one -- bleak and nasty and violent though it is -- strikes me as the best. I sympathize with those who find the violence pointless. Hard to disagree. Yet the story and the acting and the cinematography are brilliant and haunting and a revelation. Can't say enough about Tommy Lee Jones as the world-weary "old man" who is the insightful heart of the film. Josh Brolin is a wonder; Javier Bardem's performance is gripping. The movie stays with you the way great movies do. Expand
  61. VinceReighard
    Jan 3, 2008
    The Best Buddy Comedy Since 'White Men Can't Jump'

The Best Buddy Comedy Since 'White Men Can't Jump'

There isn't much to say about this movie that hasn't been said already, but I feel the need to add to the parade of praise this movie has received. Harrelson is brilliant and hilarious in his role as a tough talking hit-man who get's in waaaayyyy over his head! And Josh Brolin, as the kind-hearted welder who just keeps showing up at the wrong place at the wrong time, kept the audience rolling with laughter throughout. Javier Bardem will almost certainly receive a Golden Globe nod for his portrayal of the coin-flipping killer who definitely woke up on the wrong side of the bed, desperate to find his stolen loot! This is a must see!
  62. motive
    Jan 4, 2008
    I find it hilarious that people question the ending of this movie when they go to see something that is set up to be a sequel for money purposes and not look at the singular movie at work here. Amazing on every front. I saw this the first screening in my city and a lot of people didn't like the ending then I hear people that read the book give it praise... to understand the premiseI find it hilarious that people question the ending of this movie when they go to see something that is set up to be a sequel for money purposes and not look at the singular movie at work here. Amazing on every front. I saw this the first screening in my city and a lot of people didn't like the ending then I hear people that read the book give it praise... to understand the premise and meaning is to understand the movie. So well done but see it twice Expand
  63. KentC
    Jan 9, 2008
    This movie didn't have much of a purpose, but still was an incredible movie. Full of suspenseful scenes that were incredibly well done. Some people might find the lack of a musical score a bad thing, but I think it added to the subtle intensity that was pretty consistent throughout the movie. The tension was broken up by occasional humor which was actually funny. Those of you whoThis movie didn't have much of a purpose, but still was an incredible movie. Full of suspenseful scenes that were incredibly well done. Some people might find the lack of a musical score a bad thing, but I think it added to the subtle intensity that was pretty consistent throughout the movie. The tension was broken up by occasional humor which was actually funny. Those of you who don't like seeing strong violence, brutal killings, some language, humorous mexican stereotypes, bowl-shaped haircuts, and a cranky old lady shouldn't see this movie. For everyone else: go see this and Sweeney Todd now! Expand
  64. edzilla
    Feb 10, 2008
    This film was so gripping that it seemed life outside the theater walls melted way. It provokes so many questions as well. SPOILER I would love to hear theories on why Moss went back the crime scene. He barely looked at the dying Mexican man, let alone felt sympathy for him. Then, as he replays the day
  65. JayP.
    Feb 16, 2008
    Nihilistic, dark, unstoppable, and calculated. At the penultimate snapshot of the film, we see a subliminal glimpse of what lies at the rotten core of contemporary society: blood money, power and purposive rationality of destruction. A bold and mind bending movie.
  66. waynec.
    Feb 25, 2008
    great, great film; some will be turned off by the violence and the lack of "closure" in the ending, but i thought the ending was perfect
  67. JonathanS.
    Feb 7, 2008
    Oh please, all the people who are giving this horrible reviews are obviously not the kind of viewers who would ever be interested in this in the first place. How is it that people cannot realize that half of the movies on Metacritic with great reviews are going to be artistic or very non-mainstream. Look at chad for example: he lists alternate movies to go see, all of which are very Oh please, all the people who are giving this horrible reviews are obviously not the kind of viewers who would ever be interested in this in the first place. How is it that people cannot realize that half of the movies on Metacritic with great reviews are going to be artistic or very non-mainstream. Look at chad for example: he lists alternate movies to go see, all of which are very mainstream marketable. And he himself even states the real reason many people don't like it by referencing abstract art: some people like it, others don't. The fact that No Country is NOT a mainstream film should tell people that it will not appeal to those more linear tastes. And I am continuously wondering how can so many people not get the ending? Even I, a 16 year old, thought the ending was brilliant. And though I don't really want to type out the symbolism here, I would hope that those people who hated the ending can at least figure it out from here: Take into mind that the movie is completely allegorical-- the villain represents all of the evil in the world and it's unwavering continuity; the protagonist who finds the money is man kind, being subdued by a force they are trying to desperately understand and can never really defeat; and the sheriff is the weary old generation, trying to make sense of everything as it happens (hence the title of the movie). Now think about the second dream the sheriff had, and interpret the words' meaning. It had me floored; I couldn't move from my seat for a few minutes. This is purely a movie of taste-- people are just mad that they went to watch a movie which wasn't in their own taste. And while I want to avoid insulting anyone's intelligence level, so as not to assume, but I think that many people just couldn't understand this. But for those of you who can see deeper into such allegories and the more artistic nature of movies, this will completely hypnotize you and leave you numb by the end. At least Tricky and N K recognized the quality of the film without having to like it. Expand
  68. Chris
    Feb 9, 2008
    I think it's quite fascinating how far the divide between those who can view cinema as an art form and those who cannot has become. A majority of the harsh critiques for this film cite how "slow" or "boring" the film is and/or how the film has no "ending." First off, I don't believe one should be able to cite their review of this film unless they know what "allegory" means.I think it's quite fascinating how far the divide between those who can view cinema as an art form and those who cannot has become. A majority of the harsh critiques for this film cite how "slow" or "boring" the film is and/or how the film has no "ending." First off, I don't believe one should be able to cite their review of this film unless they know what "allegory" means. Another point I want to make - the main character in "Psycho," widely considered a masterpiece of cinema, was killed off halfway through the film. One doesn't need to see the "main character" make it through the film. This is NOT a formula film. Those who use the word "plot" should also not be allowed to review the film. Please, people, free your minds from formulaic thinking. And what's wrong with abstract art?! Expand
  69. JustinG.
    Mar 10, 2008
    1? Really? 1 is what my home videos deserve not the best picture of the year. Anyone who gives this movie less then an 8 doesn't even deserve to defend your position; you have no creative spirit and are more then likely stupid. I hate to be so blunt but seriously it doesn't even make sense to give this film a 1. You don't have to like it but, really, to give it 1 defies any 1? Really? 1 is what my home videos deserve not the best picture of the year. Anyone who gives this movie less then an 8 doesn't even deserve to defend your position; you have no creative spirit and are more then likely stupid. I hate to be so blunt but seriously it doesn't even make sense to give this film a 1. You don't have to like it but, really, to give it 1 defies any and all purusuits of analysis and intellect. Expand
  70. MattC.
    Mar 16, 2008
    This is a thinking man's film- the relationship between individuals in this movie and their motives are not spoon-fed to the viewer. Those willing to explore the themes and metaphors presented in No Country for Old Men will find this film compelling. Additionally, Tommy Lee Jones' cliche role as a policeman in this movie is justified by his stellar performance.
  71. Marc.D.
    Mar 7, 2008
    To cry foul at the plot...is to completely miss the point. A masterpiece. And deservedly so.
  72. DevonC.
    Apr 26, 2008
    No Country For Old Men Movie Review: In a nutshell. No Country For Old Men is definitely a hit classic, and is the Coen brother
  73. anonymousanonymous
    Apr 27, 2008
    This is a brilliant piece of cinematography and storytelling, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  74. AlexB.
    Apr 4, 2008
    First of all this is one of the greatest movies ever made and not because of the brilliant acting, direction, perfectly adapted screenplay, brilliant cinematagraphy but the dark realism that most people don't want to accept so they shun it for being Real. I'm sick and tired of people bitching about the ending or the fact that Brolin's demise isn't shown because read First of all this is one of the greatest movies ever made and not because of the brilliant acting, direction, perfectly adapted screenplay, brilliant cinematagraphy but the dark realism that most people don't want to accept so they shun it for being Real. I'm sick and tired of people bitching about the ending or the fact that Brolin's demise isn't shown because read the damn book. There weren't many loose ends neither people just don't want to think about them and the ending is perfectly interrelated with the entire movie and he finally woke up to the fact that things don't turn out the way they are expected; Good guys lose, Bad guys win. Expand
  75. FrederickM.
    Apr 9, 2008
    to tell you the truth i was not expecting to much heading into the theatre to see no country, but as i walked i wanted to tell everyone to go see this movie, i was not priorly influenced by the critics because my cuzzin let me see an advanced screening in his theatre about 2 weeks prior to the films release. after 2 weeks i was still lovin and saw that the critics loved, i should be one, to tell you the truth i was not expecting to much heading into the theatre to see no country, but as i walked i wanted to tell everyone to go see this movie, i was not priorly influenced by the critics because my cuzzin let me see an advanced screening in his theatre about 2 weeks prior to the films release. after 2 weeks i was still lovin and saw that the critics loved, i should be one, this is the most perfect movie i have ever seen it kept me at the edge of my seat until the very end!! thank you thank you!! Expand
  76. SebH
    Sep 30, 2008
    It seems that a lot of people really don't get this movie - do American audiences honestly want to turn up to a movie that's all hokey, corny action, catchphrases and OTT melodrama? the whole point of this film is that we don't have a protagonist to root for - can people not understand that it's not a totally classic storyline, or is that too much for you to handle? it It seems that a lot of people really don't get this movie - do American audiences honestly want to turn up to a movie that's all hokey, corny action, catchphrases and OTT melodrama? the whole point of this film is that we don't have a protagonist to root for - can people not understand that it's not a totally classic storyline, or is that too much for you to handle? it all makes sense if you think about it - it might be abstract in parts, such as when the sheriff sees Chigurgh in the motel room (I believe it's his mind's projection of what he believes will be behind the door), but the plot makes perfect sense and has quite a powerful message, the most potent being the fact that Chigurgh is the only one still alive and fighting by the end of the film. I think that the lack of a protagonist makes it easier to look at all the characters as mere human beings - it's total realism as there are some parts where we even see Chigurgh's vulnerability, but also the flaws of Llewellyn. It's an exercise in harsh realism, not idealism, which is a rare thing in modern films. And yes, the plot may be confusing, but a confusing film is usually far more brain-engaging and fascinating than a clear-cut, black-and-white movie that requires no insight (i.e. the crap we usually get from Hollywood these days). It might not appeal to the lowest demographics, as it does require a brain to be appreciated, but it really is a stunning movie that contrasts the gruesome and tense with the prophetic, 'dull' if you like, insightful. Excellent film, still one of my favourites. Expand
  77. NC.
    Sep 30, 2008
    Well said Seb H... I really pity the user reviews that declare that 'most people say they like it b/c they don't get it so it must be intelligent and so they pretend it's good'. LOL... Dude, grow up... read a bit. Or shut up and steer clear of art - it's clearly WELL over your head. People who are smart or who have studied and understand the language of film (much Well said Seb H... I really pity the user reviews that declare that 'most people say they like it b/c they don't get it so it must be intelligent and so they pretend it's good'. LOL... Dude, grow up... read a bit. Or shut up and steer clear of art - it's clearly WELL over your head. People who are smart or who have studied and understand the language of film (much like the language and rhythm of life), like myself, enjoy and appreciate the movie BECAUSE we are intelligent enough to get it - and love it (It is my top 2 favourite films of all time with Taxi Driver). There is no pretending going on my sad friend. That is a 'truth' that exists only in your mind (if it qualifies to be labelled as such).. The ending is indisputably one of the greatest endings in film history (I wept... but then, I got it, I listened to what he was saying, and I have lived a life both in personal experience and in worldliness, that allows me to understand precisely what is being said)...... and there is absolutely NO confusion WHATSOEVER with working out a/ what happened to Llewellyn (RIP) who Chigurh does not kill at all b/ what happens to the money (the money is a macguffin you idiots, it is NOT relevant and is taken back half way thru the film... HE HAS IT ALREADY morons (and from Woody NOT Llewellyn). His pursuit is a matter of principal, not of profit) c/ whether llewellyn's wife is or is not toast at the end?.... there is NO ambiguity... None whatsoever. The point is, she dies a hero, with courage, because she utters the most beguiling line of the movie b4 she meets her maker: "There's no coin mister - there's only you." Brilliant. Sums up so much... and is the most courageous line and act in the movie. She never calls the coin. With all the tough talk and bombast flying around, she is the toughest character in the film. No, the real problem is that originality, intelligence, poetry, thematics and the magic of life, the spaces inbetween the space between, have passed you and your lives and minds by..... so, I am afraid it's true, if you don't like this movie because you claim that it is confusiong, has a bad ending, does not make sense or is in need of concluding further..... rather than, say, criticise it for being too cynical, cathartic, scary or violent, which you COULD do..... then you are simply WRONG. This is not a matter of opinion. The average critic is smarter and more intuitive with film than the average user... Fact. That's how they became critics... get it? Hence the average review of this film, as it is so brilliant, being lower with users than with the critics. Can you work that one out chumps? Honestly, you should be embarrassed that you felt so self-consious on a sub-conscious level in not enjoying the film that you had to post a bad review to save your pride. Somewhat hilarious, but deeply embarrassing for each of you....as you ironically, in doing so, demonstrate you missed the movie's narrative, charcterisation and thematics almost entirely. "In need of a sequel"!!?? I truly, honestly pity you. Chigurh wins becasue he is not weighed down with little things like decency, compassion, empathy and so forth.... which is one of the points of the movie. If you want to benefit quickly from other's demise and troubles (get the politic allegory now), you won't get away with it and get to have your cake and eat it too and simultaneously be in the right and covered in glory. You will be pursued... and by an enemy you don't understand or relate to.... and if you stay true to being good, to yourself, if you display fanciful things like 'courage' or 'bombast' (llewellyn is tracked ONLY b/c he returns to the scene with water for someone who has already died - get it?), this enemy will mercilesly send you and everyone you love to hell. And they will not be punished by karma, they will just walk, or in this case limp, off into the sunset. There's a starting point for you... think poetically when you watch this film, not literally... and see what is on screen, not what you expect to be. Good luck. Expand
  78. JohnW.
    Jan 17, 2009
    It was an amazing movie. I had to watch it at least 5 times before I truly understood it, but than again I never read the book. It skews the lines that distinguish the token 'good guy' and 'bad guy,' which is my favorite part of all. And the fact that in the end, the 'protagonist' does, the 'bad guy' lives and the real 'good guy' It was an amazing movie. I had to watch it at least 5 times before I truly understood it, but than again I never read the book. It skews the lines that distinguish the token 'good guy' and 'bad guy,' which is my favorite part of all. And the fact that in the end, the 'protagonist' does, the 'bad guy' lives and the real 'good guy' doesn't have a clue just leaves realizing that this is quite a peice of work. I would have given it a 10, but I feel it was a little bit confusing.. But than againthat may be a good thing, causing me to watch it many times and really dissecting it. Cormack McCarthy is a literary genius. Expand
  79. LawrenceP.
    Jan 6, 2009
    No Country For Old Men was the best picture of 2008 -- without a doubt. Criticized by some for its graphic violence, the movie in fact had a mere few moments of blood and guts. And the violence was more psychological than it was graphic. Having read the book, I was amazed at how close the script stayed to the book. With the exception of Bell's war careerm it was pretty much all No Country For Old Men was the best picture of 2008 -- without a doubt. Criticized by some for its graphic violence, the movie in fact had a mere few moments of blood and guts. And the violence was more psychological than it was graphic. Having read the book, I was amazed at how close the script stayed to the book. With the exception of Bell's war careerm it was pretty much all there. The aspect of the movie that struck me most was that in discussing it with literary people, it was discussed as if it were in fact a book, not a movie. When discussing it with those of a lesser literary bent, it was discussed simply as a drug/crime movie. As for that latter perception, it's not even close. Drugs and money were incidental -- a vehicle on which to place the themes of fate, change, acceptance, time, and place. And while some talk of good and evil in No Country For Old Men, it played no role at all. In fact Anton showed no evil in his character or actions. He lacked good and evil in equal proportions. Of all the charactors in the movie, he was perhaps the most sane in that he had his principles and beliefs and stuck by them. His integrity was intact at the end of the movie. One could go so far as to say Anton show as much compassion in the movie as did Bell. Several times he removed himself from the equation to allow the coin to decide -- it was the best he could do. My point in writing this simple review is to refute much of what I've seen concerning Anton. Much in the same way as I've written to defend Shylock as a victim in The Merchant of Venice. Expand
  80. RobbieB.
    Feb 2, 2009
    Breathtaking! I loved this movie, almost every single thing about it! I disliked the ending, feeling it was a bit anti-climatic, but not one preformance is bad in this film. Every now-and-then a film comes alog and changes the way we think of everything, this IS that one!
  81. JackS.
    Mar 8, 2009
    Possibly one of the best films ever made. It's rare that a picture is created with so much philosophical depth and intrigue, yet manages to be so unbelievably entertaining. The Coen Brothers continue to impress the film making industry with their bleak, ingeniously constructed tales; No Country for Old Men only boosts their repertoire. As the final shot abruptly cuts to slow credits, Possibly one of the best films ever made. It's rare that a picture is created with so much philosophical depth and intrigue, yet manages to be so unbelievably entertaining. The Coen Brothers continue to impress the film making industry with their bleak, ingeniously constructed tales; No Country for Old Men only boosts their repertoire. As the final shot abruptly cuts to slow credits, I sat, and I thought. Even when I finally left the theater, the movie just wouldn't leave my mind. It's so deep, so interesting, and so tense. It really just makes you think. How many movies do that nowadays? With all the mindless crap out there, it's refreshing to see a film that will make you really stop and wonder. As great as No Country is, one is able to see its brilliance at its pinnacle after the film is over. A true masterpiece, and completely deserving of its Oscars. Expand
  82. JamesV.
    Mar 8, 2009
    Outstanding film. Reminded me of Apocalypse Now in a broader sense that in the heart of many men lies darkness, with a key difference being that in AN we get a glimpse of Col. Kurtz's inner being while in NCFOM Chigurh's character is opaque and impenetrable. Another parallel to AN is that evil infects all of the characters to some degree -- Moss is undone by his own greed for Outstanding film. Reminded me of Apocalypse Now in a broader sense that in the heart of many men lies darkness, with a key difference being that in AN we get a glimpse of Col. Kurtz's inner being while in NCFOM Chigurh's character is opaque and impenetrable. Another parallel to AN is that evil infects all of the characters to some degree -- Moss is undone by his own greed for trying to keep the money instead of turning it in; Chigurh is a psychopath who cannot feel anyone's pain and not even his own; even the good 'ol Sheriff Bell is called out for vanity and retires just when duty calls. Many people complain about ambiguity in the plot, but that is by design; in real life, Good and Evil are rarely so black and white and at times fate and circumstance interfere with justice. The cinematography, the acting and the dialogue are all top drawer. Kept me on the edge of my seat the entire film. Expand
  83. mohammedi
    Aug 10, 2009
    Film projection on the harsh reality faced by the world.
  84. WW
    Nov 12, 2007
    It's the kind of film that simultaneously entertains, then prods the viewer and pushes him until it hurts. But it is not devoid of purpose. Many will miss the expansive call of this film because they are symbolically wrapped up tightly within the film. Many will scratch their head and wish for a happy, nicely packaged ending. But this is a film for those who don't need spoon fed It's the kind of film that simultaneously entertains, then prods the viewer and pushes him until it hurts. But it is not devoid of purpose. Many will miss the expansive call of this film because they are symbolically wrapped up tightly within the film. Many will scratch their head and wish for a happy, nicely packaged ending. But this is a film for those who don't need spoon fed morals and dumbed down endings. This is a film to awaken and warn us; to encourage and yet haunt us. Expand
  85. MikeK.
    Nov 12, 2007
    The Coens are back in top form with this one, their best since Fargo, if not their best ever. Brilliant dialogue and excellent performances throughout (especially Bardem's villain, who's incredibly creepy). And to DWilly, who said Josh Brolin's character would have been in combat at age five: the movie is set in 1980 (watch the scene with the coin-flip in the gas station The Coens are back in top form with this one, their best since Fargo, if not their best ever. Brilliant dialogue and excellent performances throughout (especially Bardem's villain, who's incredibly creepy). And to DWilly, who said Josh Brolin's character would have been in combat at age five: the movie is set in 1980 (watch the scene with the coin-flip in the gas station again), so assuming Brolin's character is around 40 years old, he would have been around 25 in 1965, more than old enough to serve in Vietnam. Expand
  86. OtmS.
    Nov 15, 2007
    Gratifies expectations by defying them.
  87. Lulzy
    Nov 16, 2007
    Chicago Reader Jonathan Rosenbaum A very well-made genre exercise, but I can
  88. TylerK.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Excellent thriller. Very stripped-down, not sensationalized or predictable. One of the best villains to hit the big screen since Hannibal Lecter
  89. RobertL.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Riveting and simply sensational. Pulls you in like a vaccuum and does not let go. Not only does Javier Bardem create the greatest screen terror since Hannibal Lecter, his performance results in the most suspenseful and electric experience I've had at the theaters in years.
  90. BibliotechaSanchez
    Nov 22, 2007
    Best movie I've seen in the 2000s. I say the ending was the way it was because, There Will Be a Sequel. Camera work perfect. I love the western Hills Have Eyes feel, and backdrop. The two old couples sitting in front of me dressed in tuxes, jumped about a mile and a half out of their seats toward the end of the movie. I've Never seen old people move so fast. I thought that they Best movie I've seen in the 2000s. I say the ending was the way it was because, There Will Be a Sequel. Camera work perfect. I love the western Hills Have Eyes feel, and backdrop. The two old couples sitting in front of me dressed in tuxes, jumped about a mile and a half out of their seats toward the end of the movie. I've Never seen old people move so fast. I thought that they would die of cardiac arrest right on the spot in front of me they were so spooked. My chair was rattled by the younguns behind me too. I'm the only one that didn't move, because, well, I've got nerves of steel, and in my job in real life I deal with extreme stress. Nothing phases me. All in all, GREAT movie! I liked the way I felt when leaving the movie. I liked the music while walking out of the theatre. I somehow felt like the murder was not all bad of a guy who lived by his principles, lived in his Own reality, and was just trying to seek the truth in others. Sure he was pure evil, but people straightened up and thought Real hard about their answers when talking to him, maybe because they sensed that he was a volatile man and dangerous. Kind of reminds me of Brad Pitt in Kalifornia. 4 out of 4. Excellent movie that puts you right in it, as if you're there. Not like Children of Men (hated it). Better. Plus that former Goonie James Brolin is a great actor. Expand
  91. ShameM.
    Nov 22, 2007
    Those that give this movie a bad review should stick with the summer blockbusters. Not every movie has to follow the same tired formula to be good. This movie breaks the mold and actually makes you think, God forbid. Simply brilliant!
  92. MikeH.
    Nov 24, 2007
    I see about 100 movies a year in the theater and this was my most anticipated film of 2007 since I read all the film festival praise. " No Coubtry For Old Men" is an instant classic and it works on several levels depending on how much thought one wishes to invest. The characters, dialogue, photography, mood, pacing, acting and tone are all essential ingredients in the film's abilty I see about 100 movies a year in the theater and this was my most anticipated film of 2007 since I read all the film festival praise. " No Coubtry For Old Men" is an instant classic and it works on several levels depending on how much thought one wishes to invest. The characters, dialogue, photography, mood, pacing, acting and tone are all essential ingredients in the film's abilty to entertain and enlighten. So much so that " No Country For Old Men" is likely to be the best film of the year. It must be seen as soon as possible by everyone reading these words. Expand
  93. LesleyW.
    Nov 25, 2007
    An enthralling, well-crafted, suspenseful movie. I couldn't wait to see what happened next. Javier Bardem is an imposing villain. Amazing directorial nuances. I loved it!
  94. AA
    Nov 25, 2007
    The best and most-superbly haunting movie I've ever seen. Brilliant for what it depicts in stark gruesome detail and equally so for what it leaves to the imagination. Brief moments of dry wit, perfectly timed. A cat and mouse game that churned my stomach so that I wanted to turn away... but couldn't.
  95. BrendanM.P-diddy
    Nov 28, 2007
    This debate is truly fascinating, the way that the praise is clearly separated from the "criticism." On the one hand, those of us who love this movie clearly don't have a problem violence, especially violence that is so morally and thoughtfully infused. Perhaps we're sick--perhaps I'm sick (I'll entertain the notion)--but I found the amount and nature of the violence This debate is truly fascinating, the way that the praise is clearly separated from the "criticism." On the one hand, those of us who love this movie clearly don't have a problem violence, especially violence that is so morally and thoughtfully infused. Perhaps we're sick--perhaps I'm sick (I'll entertain the notion)--but I found the amount and nature of the violence powerful yet palatable. Those who condemn the movie might have accidentally missed the entrance for "Enchanted" or "Fred Claus." The other distinction to be made is that most of the praise tends to be eloquent, intelligent, and knowledgeable, whereas the so-called criticism is almost invariably shallow, vapid, and practically illiterate. I know that I sound like an elitist, but please, if you are going to condemn such well-wrought, meticulously crafted art, please check your spelling and your grammar. Expand
  96. CarldaddyC.
    Nov 30, 2007
    The cinemtography in this movie was good stuff. So good I think I crapped mi pantelones...The movies symbolism was amazing..I highly recommend it. ..(pooping noises silently sounding)But if you go wear a diaper.
  97. AaronS.
    Nov 7, 2007
    The best film of 2007.
  98. ProgGrrl
    Nov 9, 2007
    A fantastic film. See it twice. Incredible artistry at work on all levels.
  99. ColinS
    Dec 16, 2007
    I guess Matt B needs to be spoon fed his explanations in a generic doses of generic, in-your-face, make-sure-everything-is-wapped-up-in-a-tightly-wound-package-because-the-audience-can-only-be-entertained-and-never-enlightened kind of conclusion, rather than being challenged by the mature ending that presents itself in No Country. For once, I had something to ponder on the ride home. I guess Matt B needs to be spoon fed his explanations in a generic doses of generic, in-your-face, make-sure-everything-is-wapped-up-in-a-tightly-wound-package-because-the-audience-can-only-be-entertained-and-never-enlightened kind of conclusion, rather than being challenged by the mature ending that presents itself in No Country. For once, I had something to ponder on the ride home. After Transformers, all I had plastered in my brain was the Chevy brand symbol. Exceptional movie, with the most involving environment I've experienced since Fargo. There's not one misstep here. Expand
  100. NancyO.
    Dec 17, 2007
    Enthralling film by the Coen Brothers. Their incredible taste in storytelling is amazing. Loved the performances by all three principals. Their best work since the incredible Fargo, in my opinion.

1. It’s a near masterpiece.
    Joel and Ethan Coen's adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's 2005 novel is an indisputably great movie, at this point the year's very best.
    It's the most ambitious and impressive Coen film in at least a decade, featuring the flat, sun-blasted landscapes of west Texas -- spectacularly shot by cinematographer Roger Deakins -- and an eerily memorable performance by Javier Bardem, in a Ringo Starr haircut.