7.5

1. Dec 9, 2014
    Truly awful - unwatchable wooden acting and a mindless script only for kiddiwinkles without a brain.
    It's amazing that funding can be found for trash like this when so many deserving scripts go wanting...
  2. Nov 30, 2014
    An excellent movie until the expected showdown is denied to the viewer. I know a big, action packed finale is a cliche but we should get something as an alternative that's equally as satisfying. Instead, the viewer gets nothing. We turn up after it's all happened, Tommy Lee Jones sits down and morosely, whitters on for what seems like an eternity. Bardem gets a mildly interesting sceneAn excellent movie until the expected showdown is denied to the viewer. I know a big, action packed finale is a cliche but we should get something as an alternative that's equally as satisfying. Instead, the viewer gets nothing. We turn up after it's all happened, Tommy Lee Jones sits down and morosely, whitters on for what seems like an eternity. Bardem gets a mildly interesting scene at the end but it's little compensation. Expand
  3. Nov 19, 2014
    A terrific movie, but at the same time, disappointing and leaves a lot of business unfinished, while finishing some business that didn't need finishing. A weird experience...I'd watch it again just for how pyscho the main killer was, but...coulda been more satisfying, for sure.
  4. Nov 9, 2014
    At the risk of sounding unprofessional, (and I guess I'm not since no one pays me for this), this movie is awesome. It's tense, eerie, violent, bloody, action packed.... I could go on forever. This is probably my favorite Cohen brothers movie. They direct it with such obsessive detail in every little action that it's impossible not to be impressed with their work here. I like a lot ofAt the risk of sounding unprofessional, (and I guess I'm not since no one pays me for this), this movie is awesome. It's tense, eerie, violent, bloody, action packed.... I could go on forever. This is probably my favorite Cohen brothers movie. They direct it with such obsessive detail in every little action that it's impossible not to be impressed with their work here. I like a lot of their movies, but none of them can match this one's sublime mix of violence, story, and character. Anton Chigur has to be one of the top five screen villains of all time. He really does come close to Hannibal Lecter status, and how often can you say that? The only real flaw here is an unsatisfying ending, but I've seen plenty of movies that have ended a lot worse. Probably one of the best Best Picture winners ever, and perhaps my favorite crime thriller. Expand
  5. Sep 20, 2014
    Javier Bardem is terrifying, the plot is thrilling, the directing is engaging and the themese are thought provoking. I can't ask for more from a movie.
  6. Sep 2, 2014
    The Coen Brothers at the very top of their game. No Country for Old Men is a well-executed modern western which bites hard. Javier Bardem is impressive as the assassin Anton Chigurh.
  7. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    No Country for Old Men was an amazing adaptation of the book by Cormac McCarthy. (I've actually read the book. That's why I can say that) The story was great, and the actors were extraordinary (mainly Javier Bardem).
  8. Jun 22, 2014
    No Country for Old Men should go down as a masterpiece. It has the perfect mixture of terror, depth, intensity and subtlety. The film is powerful, suspenseful and really makes you contemplate about the state of our present-day society. The Coens shot the film beautifully. Every image is a delicious meal for the eye. Javier Bardem -magnificent as always really steps up his game here, soNo Country for Old Men should go down as a masterpiece. It has the perfect mixture of terror, depth, intensity and subtlety. The film is powerful, suspenseful and really makes you contemplate about the state of our present-day society. The Coens shot the film beautifully. Every image is a delicious meal for the eye. Javier Bardem -magnificent as always really steps up his game here, so does Tommy Lee Jones. This is the Coen's best since "Fargo". Expand
  9. Jun 11, 2014
    A bit strange movie, especially the ending, but it keeps you attracted to the screen and feel the growing tension. The filming is great. The actors and the characters are superb! Should be definitely seen by anyone who loves good movies.
  10. May 15, 2014
    Great film as expected and one that really reminded me of my favorite Coen Brothers film, Fargo, at certain times, though this one is far, far darker. However, much like Fargo, this one is anchored by strong performances (especially Javier Bardem who was absolutely postively amazing), as well as brilliant cinematography by Roger Deakins, and great directing by the Coen Brothers. I am not aGreat film as expected and one that really reminded me of my favorite Coen Brothers film, Fargo, at certain times, though this one is far, far darker. However, much like Fargo, this one is anchored by strong performances (especially Javier Bardem who was absolutely postively amazing), as well as brilliant cinematography by Roger Deakins, and great directing by the Coen Brothers. I am not a huge huge Coen Brothers fan, but their skill is undeniable and it is on full display here. In particular, the thrills and then the lack of a "satisfying" ending were perfect. While many were bothered by the ending, I absolutely loved it. While it may not be what you are looking for, it feels all so appropriate. However, easily my favorite sequence is the opening sequence with the great monologue by Tommy Lee Jones, which really sets up the rest of the film perfectly. In addition, Anton's first victim that we see really sets the tone for how crazy and vicious he really is. Finally, the setting is gorgeous. I am a sucker for western settings in film and this one is no exception. It really lends itself to beautiful shot after beautiful shot and Deakins and the Coens really use it to its fullest.

On the negative side, the film is a tad slow admittedly. While it is thrilling and exciting and never really boring, it certainly drags at times (though everything has a purpose in the film). Not a major knock, but a knock all the same. Overall, a great accomplishment, this one is yet another entry into a great year in 2007.
  11. Apr 29, 2014
    Sinister, brutal and in possession of an abundance of lines to read between, 'No Country for Old Men' is a modern day masterpiece from the boots of it's cinematography right up to the Stetson of typically multi dimensional, Coen characterisation. I will no longer feel safe behind a locked door having witnessed the now, iconic realisation of Anton Chigurh.
  12. Apr 22, 2014
    I love this movie, with a cat-and-mouse theme, and some violance concept of Anton Chigurh. Some movies can't be better with the effect of the surprise elements, but this, this is some awesome 5H1+ to watched!
  13. Apr 13, 2014
    brilliant masterpiece! The acting performed by Bardem is excellent. The touches of unexpected moments make it really entertaining. Might be a little dissapointing in the end for some.
  14. Mar 28, 2014
    The movies was awesome with, Anton Chigurh (Bardem) and his awesome coin-tosser and, BANGG!!! I'm still wonder if other film/movies can be like this. I'm honestly wasn't expected to see the novels could be brought to the big screen.
  15. Feb 10, 2014
    the film has an original story. brilliant film. javier bardem's performance is perfect, I was scared from Javier on this film, this is very important for this film's reality.
  16. Feb 9, 2014
    Absolutely outstanding! The acting is spot on in all parts. It's magnificently written and manages to shock you and keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time. At the same time the writing manages to show many different walks of life in a heavily realistic fashion. The writing also amazing show cases the character progression of the villain, played by Javier Bardem and hisAbsolutely outstanding! The acting is spot on in all parts. It's magnificently written and manages to shock you and keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time. At the same time the writing manages to show many different walks of life in a heavily realistic fashion. The writing also amazing show cases the character progression of the villain, played by Javier Bardem and his performance solidifies his character as possibly one of the most memorable movie characters of all time. This film is a must watch plain and simple. Expand
  17. Jan 25, 2014
    In this film we get to see the Coen brothers' version of a true psychopath. We follow two story lines until they converge and become one. Chigurh (Javier Bardem) is a lunatic who has no conscience whatsoever. Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin) is the man who we root for, even though he is far from being a saint. But the fact that he doesn't kill people over nothing certainly gives him an edgeIn this film we get to see the Coen brothers' version of a true psychopath. We follow two story lines until they converge and become one. Chigurh (Javier Bardem) is a lunatic who has no conscience whatsoever. Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin) is the man who we root for, even though he is far from being a saint. But the fact that he doesn't kill people over nothing certainly gives him an edge over his opponents in gaining our sympathy.

Moss finds a ridiculous amount of money in the desert and decides to keep it. Two sets of sides then follow him around the country as he outwits them at every step. Chigurh is called in and joins the chase, but he has his own agenda, which is to say none that can be understood by a sane man. Needless to say, we get to see a whole lot of shootouts and deaths and close calls.

Chigurh was the most enduring character from the bunch. He has two weapons he puts to deadly use at every occasion. A psychopath in every sense of the word, he looks for quarrels in nothing that would suggest to offend a normal person.

Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones) is an aging sheriff. He quips and jokes with a poker face. I thoroughly enjoyed his peculiar sense of humour. Always trying to do the right thing, he feels that he isn't upto the task of apprehending these criminals who have suddenly decided to make the territory under his jurisdiction their battlefield. The title of the movie is probably about him.

There were more than a few memorable scenes of violence and gore. The art direction depicted the time splendidly with the costume and cars and cafes. The cinematography captured the beautiful bleak landscape of the southern wilderness with finesse. The open plains and deserts certainly felt like a character unto itself.

The first hour and a half nailed the action, suspense and dialogue with a craftsman's precision, and had not one scene that threatened to slow the pace. Despite the entertaining pace, every one of the main characters was well developed and distinct. The gunfights seemed realistic. People actually got injured and had no ability to dodge the bullets. There were a few scenes with conversations reflecting upon the changing times in terms of the violence being perpetrated. Some of the older audience may have felt nostalgic for a bit around this time. The film had the quality that takes the viewers imperceptibly from scene to scene.

I've always wondered how action sequences would feel like without supporting score to pump our adrenaline, and relying solely on content. They felt raw and genuine. Coen brothers showed us how they should be done. But if I made a film, I would have some music in the scenes about reflection and resolution.

Unlike the other great films in the genre of crime/thriller, this one chose to show what was happening only during the present. There was literally no transtion of time. In that it was like Raiders of the Lost Ark. But that movie had an extended cop-out ending.

The minute the main story ends abruptly, we move into a five minute interlude which felt forced and left me restless. There were no visible stakes and instead there were some conversations that were kind of conclusory remarks about what had taken place before. Everything before this had me absorbed in the narrative and that scene had nothing to do with anything that we were already shown. As the pacing was breakneck before this, some of the audience may have felt it to be more dragging even when the film returns to the main story. The extraction of a message or theme should be left entirely to the audience. I would have respected the Coens a lot more if they had the sense to know what should be left out. But since that scene wasn't long, I won't be harsh. But this blunder in editing took away from the strengths of the movie and thus the film failed to leave a lasting impression. The last scene was retainable but forgettable.
  18. Jan 22, 2014
    After just seeing the Coen Brother's masterpiece "Inside Llewyn Davis" I decided to go back and re-watch some of their previous movies. I started with No Country for Old Men. I have tried very hard to enjoy this movie and see what all the fuss is about but I can't. It is a great looking movie and some interesting scenes especially the shootout where Llewellyn and Anton first butt heads,After just seeing the Coen Brother's masterpiece "Inside Llewyn Davis" I decided to go back and re-watch some of their previous movies. I started with No Country for Old Men. I have tried very hard to enjoy this movie and see what all the fuss is about but I can't. It is a great looking movie and some interesting scenes especially the shootout where Llewellyn and Anton first butt heads, but that's about it. First off, I thought Anton Chigurh was a terrible character. Everyone says how menacing he is, but he's just ridiculous. Secondly, I don't get Tommy Lee Jones significance. His character doesn't do a damn thing in the whole movie and serves virtually no purpose. Josh Brolin did a really good job as per usual, but besides that, the movie is just bland and overblown to be something it obviously isn't. Expand
  19. Jan 16, 2014
    A blunt, almost blatant tale of why you should never run from those chasing you. A gritty and oddly pragmatic tale that slowly drifts (which many consider the film's taciturn banality) into an aberration of the era and the situation. Acted out beautifully, mostly by the man of many roles, and hairstyles, Javier Bardem. With the amount of graphic violence that is ultimately timed right, theA blunt, almost blatant tale of why you should never run from those chasing you. A gritty and oddly pragmatic tale that slowly drifts (which many consider the film's taciturn banality) into an aberration of the era and the situation. Acted out beautifully, mostly by the man of many roles, and hairstyles, Javier Bardem. With the amount of graphic violence that is ultimately timed right, the Coen brothers have once made a film that, for me personally, cannot be banal or dreary in the slightest, but the absolute opposite. Expand
  20. Jan 16, 2014
    No Country For Old Men is exhilaratingly brilliant, with raw and to-the-point dialogue that makes the transitions of scenes smooth. The cinematography is excellent, and the plot is exciting. Josh Brolin, Tommy Lee Jones, and and Javier Bodem are excellent in this film, and captivate you with their performances.
  21. Jan 5, 2014
    No Country For Old Men is Coen Brothers' brilliant film adaptation of Cormac MacCarthy novel of the same name. It focuses on the three stories of Sheriff Ed Bell, played by Tommy Lee Jones, Anton Chigurh a psychopathic murderer, played by Javier Bardem, and Llewelyn Moss, a welder who had stumbled upon 2 million dollars worth of drug money, played by Josh Brolin.

The backbone of the

The backbone of the plot itself has been used before but the slow pacing of the film allows the viewer to submerge themselves in the struggle of Jones and Brolin as they are hunted by and pursue Bardem's character. Bardem fabulously portrays Chigurh as an almost unpredictable yet rational killer intent on collecting the 2 million dollars collected by Brolin and killing anyone in his way. In one of his last scenes the viewer is allowed however to see a small amount of uncertain reasoning in how he kills.

The pacing, as well as excellent camerawork and sets creates a wonderful atmosphere in which the viewer can allow themselves to comfortably be submerged into while they enjoy this cinematic masterpiece.

In the end, this film can be enjoyed by all as long as they are patient enough to let a story be told.
  22. Dec 9, 2013
    A flawless intense thriller that puts you on the edge of your seat throughout the whole darn film! The cinematography in this film is simply fantastic... the coens out did them self and in my opinion it is right up there w fargo maybe even better
  23. Nov 25, 2013
    The America was marked by bloodshed, was sometimes accurate and sometimes totally useless form, were always involved power and money somehow, the book by Cormac M. portrays it interesting and visceral way, the same can be said of the Cohen brothers movie that captures the competitive spirit of Americans and brutal when it puts money in the game, but the most interesting are theThe America was marked by bloodshed, was sometimes accurate and sometimes totally useless form, were always involved power and money somehow, the book by Cormac M. portrays it interesting and visceral way, the same can be said of the Cohen brothers movie that captures the competitive spirit of Americans and brutal when it puts money in the game, but the most interesting are the performances of Javier B. and Tommy L. Jones that capture impressively (especially Bardem) the state of its characters, which explains all the euphoria that critics have with this film. Expand
  24. Oct 19, 2013
    One of my favorite movies. Excellent casting may have been the biggest pluses for it. Some are dissatisfied with the final 20 minutes or so of the movie, but it worked for me after giving it time to settle for lack of a better phrase.
  25. Oct 7, 2013
    Javier Bardem deserves every award he got in this film. A dedicated and masterful performance. Movie-wise details though, the film grips my attention during tense chases between Llewelyn and Anton. Concept-wise, rather flat and I understand the ending but as a first watch experience, it is utterly disappointing. The book is a masterpiece and I commend the Coen Brothers for their attempt toJavier Bardem deserves every award he got in this film. A dedicated and masterful performance. Movie-wise details though, the film grips my attention during tense chases between Llewelyn and Anton. Concept-wise, rather flat and I understand the ending but as a first watch experience, it is utterly disappointing. The book is a masterpiece and I commend the Coen Brothers for their attempt to adapt the book, but as a book-to-movie, it just doesn't work. Expand
  26. Oct 4, 2013
    I think this movie is one of the best movies I have ever seen. directors of this movie are my favorite directors.this movie has directed, written and acted very well.
  27. Aug 28, 2013
    A masterpiece. The quality of the acting, as well as the outstanding directing by the Coen brothers, propel the film from initially being a mere adaptation of a successful novel to becoming an absolute classic, that garnered the approval of most viewers and was met with universal critical acclaim. Besides, the well-deserved Oscar win properly rewards the brilliant overall directing careerA masterpiece. The quality of the acting, as well as the outstanding directing by the Coen brothers, propel the film from initially being a mere adaptation of a successful novel to becoming an absolute classic, that garnered the approval of most viewers and was met with universal critical acclaim. Besides, the well-deserved Oscar win properly rewards the brilliant overall directing career of the Coens. Eventually, one cannot watch the movie without being fascinated by the stately performance of Javier Bardem, who perfectly embodies a ruthless lunatic bounty hunter, to such an extent that every viewer will ultimately reminisce the disqueting character of Anton Chigurh. Expand
  28. Aug 17, 2013
    In my mind, the greatest movie of all time (Better than Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Raging Bull, all of them). NCFOM explores humans in a way that no other film can. It shows us why people do what they do. It addresses how fate, and how things out of our control, can affect our lives. It comes the closest that any movie has come to showing us the true meaning of life. There is no definiteIn my mind, the greatest movie of all time (Better than Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Raging Bull, all of them). NCFOM explores humans in a way that no other film can. It shows us why people do what they do. It addresses how fate, and how things out of our control, can affect our lives. It comes the closest that any movie has come to showing us the true meaning of life. There is no definite meaning of life: We are all here, doing things, talking to people, participating in activities; we are all simply living. And this film comes the closest to showing us why. As a film itself, it has terrific acting, especially from Javier Bardem, a terrific script, and dark, suspenseful tone that keeps you on edge the entire time. As a piece of art, it is inferior to none. The greatest movie ever made, in my opinion. Expand
  29. Aug 13, 2013
    No es lo mejor de los hermanos, y esperaba mucho de esta película. Tampoco es mala, pero un 6 es la nota justa. Siempre están bien dirigidas, pero con esta en particular no me paso lo mismo que con otras de los hermanos. Me aburrí por momentos, pero rescato la magnífica actuación de Lee Jones y Bardem.
  30. Aug 12, 2013
    Llewelyn Moss stumbles upon the remains of a drug deal gone bad in the Texas desert including a case containing two million dollars. He decides the keep the money for himself but soon finds he has a dangerous man on his trail.

Part crime drama, part western No Country for Old Men is undoubtedly the Coen brothers best movie since Fargo. Telling a cracking story and featuring a number of truly memorable performances this is one movie that truly deserves the critical acclaim it has received.

1. It’s a near masterpiece.
    Joel and Ethan Coen's adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's 2005 novel is an indisputably great movie, at this point the year's very best.
    It's the most ambitious and impressive Coen film in at least a decade, featuring the flat, sun-blasted landscapes of west Texas -- spectacularly shot by cinematographer Roger Deakins -- and an eerily memorable performance by Javier Bardem, in a Ringo Starr haircut.