5.4

1. Mar 31, 2014
    I don't get all the negative reviews and hate. On one end people are mad because of this director's interpretation of the story in the Bible. On the other end people won't like it because it has to do with the Bible. And then you will have people not like for other stupid political reasons not even mentioned. I get it.... for some reason the film is polarizing. This movie is NOT the sameI don't get all the negative reviews and hate. On one end people are mad because of this director's interpretation of the story in the Bible. On the other end people won't like it because it has to do with the Bible. And then you will have people not like for other stupid political reasons not even mentioned. I get it.... for some reason the film is polarizing. This movie is NOT the same as the cartoon movie you saw as a kid (yes people that is also one guy's interpretation). However it does have essentially everything that is in the Bible with some artistic flair which is cool with me. Sure they don't say "God" but everybody knows "The Creator" is "God" so whatever... that does kinda bug me but I won't hate on it too much. In any case I enjoyed the movie. It has good action, a pretty faithful telling of the story, interesting take on the pre-flood world, fantastic acting etc. I think you guys need to see the movie for what it is and not make it more than it sets out to be. It's a really good film. Expand
  2. Mar 30, 2014
    An incredible movie with great graphics, story and characters. As a christian I do not find a unique interpretation of the Noah story a bad thing. No, on the contrary I think it is a really good thing - if I want to read the actual story, I'll read the Bible. The Noah is not a retelling, but rather an attempt to understand the values and to make the short tale something bigger and moreAn incredible movie with great graphics, story and characters. As a christian I do not find a unique interpretation of the Noah story a bad thing. No, on the contrary I think it is a really good thing - if I want to read the actual story, I'll read the Bible. The Noah is not a retelling, but rather an attempt to understand the values and to make the short tale something bigger and more complex. And they did it right - drama made me weep, action made me thrilled, conclusion gave me feeling of hope and happiness Expand
  3. Mar 28, 2014
    Ultimately, Noah is a powerful but complicated experience that’s deeply fascinating in the way it subverts expectations. It will crash over you like the flood itself, knocking you back, allowing you to take in awe-inspiring visuals but also forcing you to contemplate complex questions. An absorbing character study and an action epic all at once, Noah is a highly ambitious, largelyUltimately, Noah is a powerful but complicated experience that’s deeply fascinating in the way it subverts expectations. It will crash over you like the flood itself, knocking you back, allowing you to take in awe-inspiring visuals but also forcing you to contemplate complex questions. An absorbing character study and an action epic all at once, Noah is a highly ambitious, largely successful outing for its director and star. Expand
  4. Mar 28, 2014
    Excellent movie! Highly engaging & greatly acted! Some amazing bible themed CG set pieces spread across! Outstanding score by Clint Mansell will drive you from start to final credit roll!!! Amazing movie
  5. Apr 6, 2014
    Amazing visuals, great acting and a really good story. I really didn't know Emma Watson was that good. I enjoyed the movie very much. Not a penny was wasted.
  6. Apr 14, 2014
    Let’s begin where the Book does…

Let’s begin where the Book does…

5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. 7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them. Genesis 6:5-7 KJV

Let’s allow the movie to begin where it desires to as well (these are the first words at the top of the movie’s website)…

The film is inspired by the story of Noah. While artistic license has been taken, we believe that this film is true to the essence, values and integrity of a story that is a cornerstone of faith for millions of people worldwide. The biblical story of Noah can be found in the book of Genesis.

Since its March 28th release (and before, really) I have had the advantage (and in some cases, disadvantage) of reading many passionate reviews… all before I had seen the movie. I was reminded that some of us actually read reviews to decide whether or not we will go to the theater to see a movie. So reviews have their place. As usual, I come to this evaluation process from a bit of a different angle. For the last 20+ yrs. I have been a professional storyteller. You may look at my resume and wonder why a pastor would call himself that, but that’s exactly what we who deliver sermons are doing… we are telling and retelling the stories found in the Scriptures.

If you were/are looking to the Noah movie to retell the story word-for-word as the Scripture does, I nearly certain that you will walk away as many have… disappointed. However, most of us who attend Christian churches would be equally disappointed if we showed up to a worship service and the sermon for the day was solely the reading of Scripture. We want to know some perspective. How does that text apply to my life? What am I supposed to do or be because of what the Scripture teaches? I think this movie does both masterfully. Here a few of the high points that stood out to me:

- total ownership of why God was destroying the earth… the wickedness of man… sin
    - acknowledging God as Creator
    - even enumerating the very acts of creation day by day
    - showing Noah as the righteous yet fallen human that he was
    - even the weird stuff (you already have your list) does not diminish the power of the story

So even if you don’t end up liking the movie, let’s be the ones that are known what we’re for instead of what we’re against. May this retelling of the story of Noah cause audiences to consider the greatness and grace of our God.
  7. Apr 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My husband and I just saw Noah and we both loved it. Well and bravely written, beautifully acted, creative CGI & not "biblical" but certainly spiritual and ultimately inspiring, especially for nature lovers like ourselves. Noah: "We have to be gentle with the animals and we have to be protective. If something were to happen to them, a small piece of creation would be lost for ever" And so it has. And there are many way to appreciate this movie outside of its reference to the Old Testament story. As clever science fiction/fantasy ~ an intense family drama ~ edge of your seat action/adventure ~ a cautionary tale that could inspire some interesting discussion about the state of the world and our place in it afterward. Expand
  8. Apr 4, 2014
    Dont listen to the RELIGIOUS NUT CASES reviewing them they sleep with there dear old bibles every night and feed their bibles with their mouths. When they walk out of the house its like they are seeing hell so its expected for them to give everything one. Only at night time with there bibles they are truly happy. They are sub human and not to be listened to. There 1 actually means a 7 orDont listen to the RELIGIOUS NUT CASES reviewing them they sleep with there dear old bibles every night and feed their bibles with their mouths. When they walk out of the house its like they are seeing hell so its expected for them to give everything one. Only at night time with there bibles they are truly happy. They are sub human and not to be listened to. There 1 actually means a 7 or higher. but as I said before all they can rate anything is a 1 other then there precious bibles Expand
  9. Apr 4, 2014
    I don't understand the negative reviews. Cinematography is superior, acting is excellent, story line was made suspenseful. (Pretty good for a biblical movie.) All together - very entertaining.
  10. Apr 5, 2014
    Simply amazing! I get stuck all the course of the film, to the dip of the plot and to the grandiose special effects. Great acting, great elements of emotion, drama, angst, and very few cliches and predictable elements. People who became negative this movie, most certainly mixed their religion and their beliefs. I as an atheist, I attended an amazing story extremely well executed visuallySimply amazing! I get stuck all the course of the film, to the dip of the plot and to the grandiose special effects. Great acting, great elements of emotion, drama, angst, and very few cliches and predictable elements. People who became negative this movie, most certainly mixed their religion and their beliefs. I as an atheist, I attended an amazing story extremely well executed visually and sonically. Expand
  11. Apr 6, 2014
    Biblical accuracy - pretty accurate, most "inaccuracies" are just filling in blanks. Reviews that say otherwise need to reread their Bible.
    The Creator - using the word "God" would be an anachronism. 8(?) generations from Adam and Eve makes sense to still call God "The Creator."
    Stone Giants - a bit of Artistic license here - Genesis 6:4 "The Nephilim were in the earth in those days, and also after that, when the sons of God came unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them: the same were the mighty men that were of old, the men of renown."
    Environmentalist agenda - reread Genesis 9:4-5 and Genesis 2. God tells man that they can eat plants but not meat until after the flood and even then man will have to account for it.

As a Movie - Great Dynamic characters, Stunning Visuals, Story that means something. Pretty Much everything you can look for in a movie.
  12. Mar 31, 2014
    Before we start, let's make a note about the controversies surrounding the movie. So many people got sensitive because it wasn't their "exact interpretation" of the story. Settle down. Be thankful that someone in HOLLYWOOD actually made a movie about this biblical tale. Now, time to review. Darren Aronosky (hope I spelled that right) is at it again with one of the most destructive andBefore we start, let's make a note about the controversies surrounding the movie. So many people got sensitive because it wasn't their "exact interpretation" of the story. Settle down. Be thankful that someone in HOLLYWOOD actually made a movie about this biblical tale. Now, time to review. Darren Aronosky (hope I spelled that right) is at it again with one of the most destructive and action-packed tales from the Bible. Who better to do it? Noah is a home run in terms of movie making and sits along with Requiem of a Dream and Black Swan in a stalemate. Everybody in the movie does a fantastic job and all feel equal in terms of skill and screen time. While it doesn't have as much action as you'd expect, the drama is still amazing and even sad at times. Speaking of action, what you do get is phenomenal. Giant rock men fighting against regular men with armor and spears, destructive water effects, and my jaw was open so many times during the action. But sadly, I felt there wasn't enough. I'd never want it to be a Michael Bay kind of movie, but if I got 15-30 minutes more of action, I'd be very satisfied. Another flaw I noticed was that it can be a little hard to follow at times. A few times I thought to myself "OK...let me think this over...". While the story can be harsh at times, I appreciated these parts and they make the movie feel like something different. There's so much more to say, but you should already get the gist that you should see this movie. It's worth every penny. Expand
  13. Apr 2, 2014
    I felt this movie was astounding – flawed, but astounding. It is what it wants to be and it does not bow to convention. It is both a block buster and a psychological character study. It is both Biblical and inventive. It is both digital and auteur. It is also, obviously, very thought-provoking…which is more than can be said for most big movies these days.

What this movie is – a

What this movie is – a VERY loose interpretation of the Biblical flood story, with tiny packets of the Book of Enoch and the Qu’ran to flesh out the back story. As with most Aronofsky films, it is primarily a psychological study. What exactly does faith mean when it requires a man to let ALL OF HUMANITY DIE? If that man is sane, how does he react? Cope? Adjust to change? What are the depths of his despair if he feels that his familial compassion equate to failing his God? These are the questions posed in Noah, and it does a fairly (but not exceedingly) good job working through them.

What this movie is not – a Bible study or lesson in Theology. However, biblical accuracy is not one of my criteria for movie critiques. It would be akin to stating “Dante’s Inferno is HORRIBLE…there is no evidence for nine circles whatsoever in any religious text!” Obviously, such a criticism would miss the point. My suggestion is that if you are looking for Biblical consistency you should probably go see Son of God instead.

There are some slight flaws (e.g. the strength with which Mickey Rourke carries The Wrestler is in a different league than Russel Crowe’s performance; diversions into implied veganism and earth-first philosophy detract from the larger character study, etc.) but the good outweighs the bad. I choose to believe this movie is a step in the evolution of movies as both big and thought-provoking, and I quite liked it.
  14. Apr 2, 2014
    The biblical story of Noah is fake too, so I don't see why Christians are getting so worked up about this. It's a nice movie. Christians are just mad that the director didn't misinterpret Noah's story to their liking.

Would watch again 10/10
  15. Apr 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Encantadora y atrapante pelicula para ver en familia,los actores una joya la trama es increiblemente atrapante mucha emocion y nada triste, como me gunstan ami Expand
  16. Apr 3, 2014
    Personally I enjoyed this movie as a fiction film, though if you are looking for an accurate biblical tale it might not satisfy your expectations. I feel the people giving this bad reviews are only doing so because it does not fit "their" view of the biblical story.

This is Russel Crows best film in many years, his acting was solid considering some of his previous poor performances. The movie has an obvious agenda that man should appreciate the earth and not destroy it and makes you think about becoming a vegetarian. I really enjoyed the movie and it's worth watching as a "movie" but again don't expect it to be a film based on a tale from the bible, enjoy it for what it is and try to judge it as that.

People will love this, or hate it. Most that hate it will be people upset it was not an accurate biblical adaptation, but then again no one knows what is true/false or exaggerated in the bible so it's hard to judge a fiction movie which is based on a bible story. Judge it as a movie, nothing more.
  17. Apr 21, 2014
    So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.” (Genesis 6:7)
    The story of Noah is the first apocalypse story ever told. Humanity has become corrupt and vain and now must be destroyed as punishment. In this version of the tale, Noah (Russell Crowe), is the last descendant of Seth, Adam and Eve's third son. He is a righteous man tasked by the Creator to save the innocents from humanity's impending doom. The rest of the world is made up of descendants of Cain, Adam and Eve's first son. They are wicked and have corrupted the world, and it is because of this that the Creator wishes to destroy humanity, by sending a massive flood. Noah and his family are tasked with saving the innocent by building an ark that can carry them as well as two of every kind of animal, so that creation can continue after the flood ends.
    The story is only five chapters long in the book of Genesis. It can be read in less than ten minutes, but this movie is almost two and a half hours long. How does such a short story get made into such a long movie? It strays from the story A LOT. There are so many differences between this story and the story in the Bible. There are already so many interpretations of the story, but this film is a very interesting interpretation.
    The particular interpretation that is getting the most attention is that of the Creator. God is referred to as the Creator in this film, and nothing else. The word God is not mentioned once in the entire movie. More observant people in many different religions might be offended by this, but this film is not a particularly religious interpretation of the story. This is a big plus for me. I'm not the biggest fan of movies based on religious interpretations.
    As a movie, it's very entertaining. It's quite slow and could probably be about an hour shorter than it already is, but it is still worth seeing. The special effects are pretty good and it's almost like an action/adventure movie. When we think of movies about the apocalypse, we think about movies that have to do with the apocalypse happening in modern times. The story of Noah is the first recorded apocalypse story we know of, and there are so many other cultures with similar stories of a great flood destroying the world. It's a very serious movie and there isn't any comic relief at all.
    Russell Crowe delivers a fine performance, as does Jennifer Connelly. Anthony Hopkins is a pleasure to watch on screen, as he is always. But this isn't really a movie that's going to be best known for its acting performances, nor its special effects. This is a movie that's going to be known as another interpretation of the story we all know.
    There's something interesting that happens after the movie ends and you walk out of the theater though. You might find yourself wondering if at some point in the future, humanity is to face this story in real life. Have we corrupted our world? If so, are we going to face consequences for it? How is humanity to survive such destruction should it come our way? This aspect is perhaps the best part of the film. It's a conversation starter about the state of humanity today. Perhaps it's relevant to today's world.
    Noah is a movie that is not to be missed. While the Bible may not paint the most horrifying picture of this story that one could imagine, that's where Aronofsky comes in. The film is excellently directed and will take you on a truly fascinating journey.
  18. Mar 30, 2014
    Loved the movie.. I mean it has only a couple small story things that did not make much sense.. BUT, the acting and animals were great.. Great story.. All around good movie.. Plus i been saying for awhile that Emma Watson is a STAR.. Proved it once again.. Not as EPIC as Gladiator but some good fight scenes none the less.. Overall was very happy.. I think its 100% worth watching!
  19. Mar 29, 2014
    There is a great deal of controversy surrounding this film, and rightly so. It's one of the most bizarre, ballsy interpretations of a Biblical story I've seen. If you were expecting a "to-the-letter" rendition of Noah you will very much dislike Aronofsky's take on the story. If you want to watch a deeper than usual exploration of the nature of God with fully humanized Biblical characters,There is a great deal of controversy surrounding this film, and rightly so. It's one of the most bizarre, ballsy interpretations of a Biblical story I've seen. If you were expecting a "to-the-letter" rendition of Noah you will very much dislike Aronofsky's take on the story. If you want to watch a deeper than usual exploration of the nature of God with fully humanized Biblical characters, strongly stated moral questions, and striking visual effects, you may just about love it. I fall into the latter category, and would happily recommend this film on the basis of moral and spiritual exploration and exposition, not as an historical set piece. Expand
  20. May 7, 2014
    Seriously, why is everyone freaking out about this? Do I have to be a religious fanatic in order to hate this movie? Because this film was amazing! "Worst movie ever"??? Get over yourselves!
  21. May 2, 2014
    A very well done movie. I went in without knowing much about it. The story is good, the animation is good as well. The story is easy to follow and doesn't leave you confused. I would watch it again, and that says a lot. If you like stories like the Hobbit you will enjoy this movie.Watch it from the perspective of a story you've never heard before and you can't help but love it. I felt aA very well done movie. I went in without knowing much about it. The story is good, the animation is good as well. The story is easy to follow and doesn't leave you confused. I would watch it again, and that says a lot. If you like stories like the Hobbit you will enjoy this movie.Watch it from the perspective of a story you've never heard before and you can't help but love it. I felt a range of emotions: happiness, anger, sadness, hope, despair. Worth the watch, for sure Expand
  22. Mar 31, 2014
    Incredible movie you gonna love actor sand is din,t like bible whit so much action and adventure, incredible beautiful, and the efectos awesome, al actores awesome but tus el dont amase but the others yes, this movie is dont like bible but ITS a big movie hit.
  23. Mar 29, 2014
    No one should see Noah without knowing who Darren Aronofsky is. No one should see Noah expecting a Mel Gibson movie about Bible stories. People should expect to see pain and evil manifest on screen. That's what makes Noah great.

As with any Aronofsky film a single viewing is hardly enough to get his message. That said, I don't think this is his best movie. It does hold up to his other work which says a lot considering the company. Some scenes early on are so intense and jarring they assure you this is classic Aronofsky brilliance. These short lived moments aren't to say the rest of the movie is bad, and it's not as though the intensity decreases later on, but if you lose sight of these moments you're likely going to miss the message.
  24. Mar 30, 2014
    Great movie, Very entertaining, I think it deserves a eight because I did find things wrong with it, I gave it a ten due to the fact there are so many bible loving hippies on here that trying drag it down... I don't understand these people who believed this guy build a boat to fit every animal that doesn't exist on the same continent? but still cant accept that there religious groups rapeGreat movie, Very entertaining, I think it deserves a eight because I did find things wrong with it, I gave it a ten due to the fact there are so many bible loving hippies on here that trying drag it down... I don't understand these people who believed this guy build a boat to fit every animal that doesn't exist on the same continent? but still cant accept that there religious groups rape there own children even though its on the news every day? Maybe these people should go back to there business ooops mean "church" that are buying up property with the donations they get!!! Let people who want to see a great entertaining film enjoy it without having to read all there crap! Expand
  25. Apr 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have met people who "knew" they would hate this movie before they saw it so they either didn't see it and dis it anyway which makes no sense or they went to the theater and made a point of walking out loudly and rudely. One person said he was VERY angry that the word "God" was replaced with "Creator" and for him it "had to be" downhill from there. A lot of the negative reviews here and elsewhere seem to be coming from the same mindset. Obviously this review is not for these people. Either they won't read it or if they do they won't like it. But for the rest of you, those with open curious minds in search of a film worth spending money on, this is a very good movie. Russell Crowe leads an excellent cast through a script respectful of the Creator and his Creation, especially the innocent, the animals. And we humans must admit that we have not been very good caretakers of this planet and the flora and fauna who share it with us. It's an excellent movie for Earth Day! And it's also full of mindblowing special effects. You won't be bored! Expand
  26. Jun 7, 2014
    People who rated this amazing movie 1 or 0 is what is wrong with the world. Don't listen to the idiots downrating this movie. This is a masterpiece and with top notch performances. Kudos to everyone involved.
  27. May 28, 2014
    Good and ambitious film. An incredible and cohesive movie under his own universe with great story, graphics and characters.

.....
  28. Aug 7, 2014
    It may not be a Biblically accurate telling of the tale, but it is a gripping one. It focuses on aspects that you won't hear in Sunday school. It takes a look at the emotional and mental tole the events had on Noah and his family. Watching them break and suffer over what is happening to those not on the ark is powerful. Russell Crowe delivers a fantastic performance as Noah, truly bringingIt may not be a Biblically accurate telling of the tale, but it is a gripping one. It focuses on aspects that you won't hear in Sunday school. It takes a look at the emotional and mental tole the events had on Noah and his family. Watching them break and suffer over what is happening to those not on the ark is powerful. Russell Crowe delivers a fantastic performance as Noah, truly bringing the character's emotional complexity to life as he slowly begins to question why these events are happening, why he was chosen, and what he should do next. It really focuses on the morally grey aspects of the events, and shows that God, or "The Creator" as he is called in the movie, is capable of wrath as well as love.

I feel that this side the movie shows, as well as the fact that it does take some liberties with the Biblical telling of the story, will anger many people. Most likely the Christian audience who refuse to accept anything but the truth. I can appreciate, respect, and understand why those like that will feel that way. So I recommend they avoid it because of that. It was already said before it came out that the movie was not meant or going to be Biblically accurate, so it's best that the two don't mix.

For others though this is a gripping, emotional, and complex movie that I really recommend be checked out. I believe it also has the potential to do something few other movies based on religion do; It has the potential to make people actually interested in what the Bible says about what actually happened. I find that incredibly impressive. As someone who thought the movie would fail I must say I am incredibly impressed with has happened here. It's an all around excellent movie, and one that has the potential to get people interested in the Bible. As far as I'm concerned it's a top-notch movie that should be at the top of your must-watch list.
  29. Jul 8, 2014
    Even if the story is not close to the Holy Books, it is a unique imagination and interpretation of what could have happened with Noah, and it turned out pretty epic so watch out for it is a must see film!
  30. Jul 20, 2014
    We shouldn't be disappointed that this movie doesn't repeat the biblical story of Noah. We know that the Noah story borrows many elements from the Epic of Gilgamesh. This movie creates an even deeper story that finds that man has destroyed his environment and his lust for violence and domination has brought him to the brink of ruin. It recreates the whole history of creation by fastWe shouldn't be disappointed that this movie doesn't repeat the biblical story of Noah. We know that the Noah story borrows many elements from the Epic of Gilgamesh. This movie creates an even deeper story that finds that man has destroyed his environment and his lust for violence and domination has brought him to the brink of ruin. It recreates the whole history of creation by fast forwarding the “days” of creation into the evolution of the universe and the life forms on earth. This is a new and revivifying story and one that needs to be told alongside our other stories to carry us forward with the mission of Noah to renew the earth all over again. Expand
  31. Jul 21, 2014
    Dark, brooding and surreal; Aronofsky's epic is beautifully shot and ambitiously conceived. Most importantly it gives Biblical lore a healthy dose of human realism - not a bad thing at all.
  32. Aug 27, 2014
    Loved this movie! Nice surprise to see the inclusion of "The Watchers/Fallen Angels" taken from older ancient Flood stories co-mingled with the more recent version that most us have read in the Bible. I call it genius, while some other folks can't seem to imagine it. My advice, leave that religous debating for the Sunday School of your choice, and just enjoy a very well-made movie.Loved this movie! Nice surprise to see the inclusion of "The Watchers/Fallen Angels" taken from older ancient Flood stories co-mingled with the more recent version that most us have read in the Bible. I call it genius, while some other folks can't seem to imagine it. My advice, leave that religous debating for the Sunday School of your choice, and just enjoy a very well-made movie. Excellent movie. Highly recommend. Expand
  33. Aug 3, 2014
    Now before I share my opinion on this movie I just want to get one thing out of the way. I am a Christian, My relationship with God and his son Jesus is the most important thing in my life! Now with that being said, I absolutely loved Noah! Do not listen to what all of the people are saying about this film. Yes, it does have one particular element where the director obviously took someNow before I share my opinion on this movie I just want to get one thing out of the way. I am a Christian, My relationship with God and his son Jesus is the most important thing in my life! Now with that being said, I absolutely loved Noah! Do not listen to what all of the people are saying about this film. Yes, it does have one particular element where the director obviously took some creative liberties with the story but to me that was okay. The story of Noah is one of the shortest in the Bible, and a lot of the details are left to your imagination. That is where this film comes in, it shows the dark side of Noah. The stories we heard when we were little kids are the same stories per say, but they are much much darker than we could understand. Which is exactly what I loved about this film! Instead of exploring humans through the eyes of God like so many other movies do, this explores God through the eyes of his servants. It shows their struggles, their sacrifices, their doubts and ultimately how strong their relationship with their creator must be in order to make it in this harsh world! Noah is one of the best films I saw all year! If you are a Christian, or even if you're not, give it a try. I'm sure you will be glad you did! Expand
  34. Aug 9, 2014
    First of all to deal with inane comments regarding deviation from the biblical texts. Firstly, the story in Genesis is slight. Secondly, it didn't actually happen! It's a myth! One of several deluge myths in ancient middle and near east religion. What Aronofsky does is mint a new version, and it works. Expectedly on some levels, as Aronosky uses typical visual inventiveness to tell theFirst of all to deal with inane comments regarding deviation from the biblical texts. Firstly, the story in Genesis is slight. Secondly, it didn't actually happen! It's a myth! One of several deluge myths in ancient middle and near east religion. What Aronofsky does is mint a new version, and it works. Expectedly on some levels, as Aronosky uses typical visual inventiveness to tell the story. One highlight is the creation story-within-the-story interlude which is dazzling, another are his invention of the Watchers, and their nod to both Giacometti and Ray Harryhausen. But also unexpectedly, as we are, for the most part rooting for good Old Testament Yahweh and his plans to cleanse the world, such is Aronofsky's ability to depict it as relentlessly mired in vice, and in doing so hold an uncomfortable mirror up to our own rapaciousness. But this would be for nought if Crowe couldn't make the role work. He does, giving Noah pathos, intensity, a deep inner sadness. It's dark, it drags a bit if you're not lapping up the art direction, and arguably loses it's way a little in the final third, redeeming itself at the very end, but this is bold, intelligent film-making in a different league to the vacuous output of someone like Michael Bay. In time will be appreciated as a minor masterpiece. Expand
  35. Jan 5, 2015
    I'm glad We the people have the outlet to set the record straight, as the collective insanity of the pro critics gets increasingly wackier. This was cool, shows the Old Testament with all its prescient wisdom about the world and for once not concerned with exclusive Zionist projects. Some critics thought the plant rock spirits were too far fetched. And what, Guys thinking God is telingI'm glad We the people have the outlet to set the record straight, as the collective insanity of the pro critics gets increasingly wackier. This was cool, shows the Old Testament with all its prescient wisdom about the world and for once not concerned with exclusive Zionist projects. Some critics thought the plant rock spirits were too far fetched. And what, Guys thinking God is teling them directly to embark on crazy boat building projects isn't? Get a grip critics. Aronofsky executes it all with the right tone, and the performances are grounded in a seriousness that sells it. Ecological warnings and all that. Food for thought in the garden of eden. Expand
  36. Oct 2, 2014
    A very controversial film, destined through Darren Aronofsky and Ari Handel script to alienate basically all factions who could possibly comprise the film's audience. Christians who take the Bible literally will be offended, athiests wouldn't come within Noah with a ten-foot pole, that sort of thing. It's a lose-lose situation, which is a crying shame, because it's most probablyA very controversial film, destined through Darren Aronofsky and Ari Handel script to alienate basically all factions who could possibly comprise the film's audience. Christians who take the Bible literally will be offended, athiests wouldn't come within Noah with a ten-foot pole, that sort of thing. It's a lose-lose situation, which is a crying shame, because it's most probably Aronofsky's greatest work since Requiem for a Dream. Very inspired decision reuniting A Beautiful Mind's stars Russell Crowe and Jennifer Connelly, while Sir Anthony Hopkins really shines as Earth's oldest human being (Noah's grandfather Methuselah), it has the best acting I've seen from Emma Watson, and Ray Winstone is very good as the villain. Take it from the doves and grab this olive branch, and see this fine film for what it truly is--a very rewarding experience which examines the power of miracles and the equally fascinating mysteries of love and mercy. Expand
  37. Nov 23, 2014
    Noah es una película que lleva una historia bíblica al cine, y lo hace de una forma bien hecha, además hay que destacar que Emma Watson a mejorado como actriz, todos los del reparto tuvieron buenas actuaciones. En general, un muy buen film.
  38. Sep 10, 2014
    i'm not atheist, i'm not christian.
    and i said i just like the movie. was a funny story, even when noah gets crazy and want to kill some babys. then shows that still exist some goodness in the humankind.
    and yes, the inocents are the animals! when the humans doesn't exist, the planet doens't look like now: dead, polluted and soemthing liek that. and please: "the movie doens't fall the
    i'm not atheist, i'm not christian.
    and please: "the movie doens't fall the true story of noah and his true character. please! lameque supposedly could reach 595 years and died five years before the flood! and since when is that possible, if now in a country where there is advanced treatments and medicine is difficult to reach age 90? oh! perhaps the goodness of God ??
    and then kills everyone in a flood? even innocent children?
    okay okay ...
  39. Aug 2, 2014
    A fascinating retelling of the Noah story. An epic derived, not from the biblical telling of Noah, but from Hebrew, Gnostic, and Kabbalist texts, interweaving the familiar story with stark and beautiful pagan imagery to create a wholly unique film. With Noah, Aronofsky proves that the story of the great flood does not belong just to Christians, but comes to us from a multitude of differentA fascinating retelling of the Noah story. An epic derived, not from the biblical telling of Noah, but from Hebrew, Gnostic, and Kabbalist texts, interweaving the familiar story with stark and beautiful pagan imagery to create a wholly unique film. With Noah, Aronofsky proves that the story of the great flood does not belong just to Christians, but comes to us from a multitude of different faiths and, with it, different interpretations.

Fascinating history aside, I would recommend this film on the visuals alone. Aronofsky affects a primordial landscape; the world of Noah is as alien a world as our planet would have been hundreds of thousands of years ago, a wholly different and unfamiliar place. Great care is taken with every detail and I loved the little touches like the animals on the ark consisting of prehistoric creatures.

My only complaint would be that the tone and pacing of the story is a tad disjointed. The movie begins as sort of post-apocalyptic fantasy, slowly evolving into a full-blown LotR styled epic as giants, mystics, and massive battles are introduced, only to take a jarringly dark left turn once Noah and his family are actually on the ark. Though I highly enjoyed the idea that a man who speaks to God can't help but lose his mind, the third act is drawn out needlessly long.

Noah is a fantastic modern epic. No matter your faith or belief, I highly suggest you give this movie a chance. You may be pleasantly surprised with what you find.
  40. Jul 5, 2014
    i REALLY liked this movie...it was awesome! i really liked Emma Watsons acting in this movie...and the story line was very well put together, i like the other actor they chose...like Logan Lerman. i really liked this movie and i would recommend you watch it.
  41. Aug 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I must admit I was very biased against this film when I watched it. I generally don't like biblical films, because, in most cases, they put to the big screen what is a matter of inner faith and not some story to entertain the public and get paid for that. This is my view, anyway. Aronofsky's approach, however, does not merely attempt to transform texts into pictures. In fact, a lot of the film's plot details are fictional. Therefore, you do not watch the film to learn what the Bible says about Noah and the Ark. Nor is it an effort to interpret it.

What I really liked was that it presented a different Noah, a different family of his, a different humanity, more realistic and multi-dimensional than the Bible's ones (even if the depiction of the world is neither familiar or historically accurate). Noah here seems to take his fate on his own hands, all these decisions he makes throughout the film are his and his only. The most astonishing detail is how Aronofsky places his dilemmas through the protagonists' thoughts and reactions. Should humanity ever survive? We know that humans always turn evil as the "evil" descendants of Cain. In fact, evil is an inner weakness, that may take many forms, and this is obviously shown in Noah's decision to kill the twins, in Ham's support of the villain or in Shem's attempt to kill his father. Was Tubal-cain wrong about the nature of men and their place in nature? What are the limits of human roles and power? There are a lot of dilemmas worth locating and debating from the beginning to the end. It is great to realize that a film based on such a shallow story is transformed into a study on what is good and evil, what is love, justice and kindness, what is a virtue and what is a weakness. I did not like the ending that seems to put an end to all dilemmas by saying that love is what matters, I would prefer the dilemmas remained there until the end for the audience to consider, but, in any case, this is also what the Bible aims at, presenting love as the most significant virtue, so I do not think of it as a weakness of the film.

Visuals are, of course, impressive, Aronofsky's direction is perfect for the darker looks of the film and Crowe's performance is satisfying. There are some cheesy details, especially the depiction of the Watchers or some overacted sequences, but overall "Noah" is a gripping film that does not hesitate to put aside the original story to discuss some serious issues about humanity and society, and surprisingly succeeds. It is not necessary to agree with Aronofsky's beliefs and interpretations, all you just need to do is try to find out an answer to the questions he raises.
  42. Jul 31, 2014
    Very moving version of the classic old testament story. Really keeps your attention from start to finish. A powerful tale of good versus evil. One man's struggle to decide the fate of humanity.
  43. Sep 14, 2014
    Very good movie, excellent, highly recommend, I was never bored...great graphics, excellent actors, the history is very interesting, the question is, the history of the movie there's some parts that are not mentioned on the bible right?

1. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    Apr 18, 2014
    Darren Aronofsky's Noah is not just one of the most ambitious films I've seen this year, it's one of the most ambitious films I've ever seen.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Apr 9, 2014
    Noah may not make much sense, but only an artist could have made it. [7 April 2014, p.74]
  3. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Apr 2, 2014
    Aronofsky’s story of Noah and his ark is far-removed from our collective recollections of Sunday school pageants and Cecil B. DeMille extravaganzas. Instead, this film opts for the sort of human-scaled realism that almost allows us to smell the dank stench of a menagerie cooped up for 40 days and nights on a water-swept barge.