7.1

1. Mar 1, 2014
    Well I went in with mediocre expectations because i didn't really like the theme where a "good guy" seems to get blamed unfairly for a bad behavior as the movie trailers suggest. However, I was pleasantly surprised there were complexities to the plot that go a bit further than you expect. All in all a pretty good action film, but i have to give it a six simply because I'm not sure I'll beWell I went in with mediocre expectations because i didn't really like the theme where a "good guy" seems to get blamed unfairly for a bad behavior as the movie trailers suggest. However, I was pleasantly surprised there were complexities to the plot that go a bit further than you expect. All in all a pretty good action film, but i have to give it a six simply because I'm not sure I'll be raving about it a couple weeks from now. Expand
  2. Feb 28, 2014
    The Metascores seems to be right on for this film. It's a nice set-up, the supporting cast is excellent, but the ultimate explanation as to what is happening and why it's happening is highly unsatisfying. It's a good solid vehicle for Liam Neeson's new superhero persona. If only the story were a bit tighter.
  3. Mar 2, 2014
    I don't think I have ever had a movie annoy me this much - not because the movie is necessarily bad - what was more concerning is that people have actually become so ignorant and illogical that the movie is NOT just treated as entertainment, but plausible. People around me after the movie were actually talking about how this is possible and what can be done to prevent it - seriously...I don't think I have ever had a movie annoy me this much - not because the movie is necessarily bad - what was more concerning is that people have actually become so ignorant and illogical that the movie is NOT just treated as entertainment, but plausible. People around me after the movie were actually talking about how this is possible and what can be done to prevent it - seriously...

There are so many flaws in this movie that it is absurd that people treat this as viable. I am not going to point out the flaws and spoil the movie for those that have not seen it and want to be entertained. Just take the movie as what it is meant to be entertainment and NOT even close to realistically possible.
  4. Jun 15, 2014
    Non-Stop looks like "Taken" on a plane but, unfortunately, it was nowhere near as enjoyable to watch. Liam Neeson is still awesome but the plot was horrible and the "twist" at the end tried to force some mediocre and cliched anti-war agenda. Honestly, this is one of the most disappointing Neeson films I've seen.
  5. Mar 8, 2014
    Although it possesses one of the nastiest third acts I've witnessed in recent memory, the majority of "Non-Stop" seems to contain a hefty amount of thrills, intrigue, and snappy direction.
  6. Mar 8, 2014
    It’s the off-season action flick we have all been waiting for. It has Liam Neeson, a strong supporting cast, a dangerous and suspenseful premise, and is set 40,000 feet in the air. So what went wrong? It was not entirely the fault of director Jaume Collet-Serra, who also handled the 2011 Liam Neeson/Diane Kruger blockbuster Unknown. Rather, the blame for Non-Stop’s shortcomings goes to itsIt’s the off-season action flick we have all been waiting for. It has Liam Neeson, a strong supporting cast, a dangerous and suspenseful premise, and is set 40,000 feet in the air. So what went wrong? It was not entirely the fault of director Jaume Collet-Serra, who also handled the 2011 Liam Neeson/Diane Kruger blockbuster Unknown. Rather, the blame for Non-Stop’s shortcomings goes to its inexperienced and blundering writers. By barely stringing together what may be the most convoluted action plot in recent years, the greater tension in Non-Stop comes from whether or not the writers can express an idea in its entirety or send it crashing to the ground in a ball of fire and smoke.
    The concept itself isn’t horrible to begin with. A less cerebral, fast paced, sky high Murder on the Orient Express where the protagonist has to fight both external and internal problems to save the remaining passengers on board – not an awful start. And the film gets off on the right footing, establishing the more deep and personal side of Neeson’s character before jumping into the plot. Metallic and lugubrious blues comprise most of the color palate, while symmetry and organization dominates the cinematography, establishing a somewhat unique mise en scène for a Hollywood action film. There is nothing truly intricate or memorable about the film’s editing. Safe to say, the invisible edits went by without a second glance. However, I would have liked it if Collet-Serra had thrown in some more creativity with the shots; for example, a long, continuous shot could have broken the monotony that some of the action scenes faced.
    The acting in Non-Stop was surprisingly decent (save for some awkwardly casted antagonists). Sure, Liam Neeson delivered basically the same performance he does in all of his films. But he was able to meet our expectations with conviction and ease. Julianne Moore’s character, although introduced a little awkwardly, came across as natural and comfortably likeable (someone well needed in an ensemble of alcoholic mopeys and manic passengers). A strong supporting cast, including “Downton Abbey” sweetheart Michelle Dockery, helps carry this film. Unfortunately, like the plane in the film, not even their efforts can stop the film from going down near the end of its journey.
    Go ahead and watch Non-Stop. But in order to make the experience enjoyable, try not to think about it as its progresses. That doesn’t necessarily mean, “Shut your brain off.” In order to enjoy the mystery and cleverness of the first half, you’ll have to keep your brain on just enough to not be tripped up by Non-Stop’s technical flaws. But beware: the film’s attempts to be gripping and suspenseful will seriously backfire once it fails to maintain its cleverness in the second half.

FINAL SCORE: 57.5 (ok ---------------o----- a decent watch)
  7. Mar 4, 2014
    I walked in to the theater thinking it would be another stupid action movie. I was, however, surprised when I did enjoy the film. It was thrilling for the most part, fun, and had me interested pretty much the whole way through. Though there were scenes that didn't make sense, or improbable aspects, it was filled with interesting action and surprisingly good acting. I would recommend thisI walked in to the theater thinking it would be another stupid action movie. I was, however, surprised when I did enjoy the film. It was thrilling for the most part, fun, and had me interested pretty much the whole way through. Though there were scenes that didn't make sense, or improbable aspects, it was filled with interesting action and surprisingly good acting. I would recommend this movie to anyone who likes a good thriller Expand
  8. Mar 7, 2014
    Liam Neeson continues his action streak with his portrayal of a U.S. Air Marshall, who encounters lethal threats against the passengers of his transatlantic flight. As is typical of these modern heroes, he's alcoholic and has other personal demons that serve to add needless baggage (pun intended). The whodunit aspects are compelling: there are a limited number of passengers and suspicionLiam Neeson continues his action streak with his portrayal of a U.S. Air Marshall, who encounters lethal threats against the passengers of his transatlantic flight. As is typical of these modern heroes, he's alcoholic and has other personal demons that serve to add needless baggage (pun intended). The whodunit aspects are compelling: there are a limited number of passengers and suspicion bounces around the cabin. The action is often too jumbled to get a grip, but anxiety rises from time to time. It's just doesn't sustain or build tension and spends too much time in paranoid chatter to be the gripping, non-stop ride it promised. Expand
  9. Mar 13, 2014
    I like that Liam Neesons, but the writers of this clunky film wasted some decent actors and my time. I wanted to like this film, but it was so heavy-handed, that it drowned whatever suspense was able to raise a spindly shoot. Holes you could fly a plane through (well a Cessna, at least) and all the while texting. Disappointed, wish there had been snakes.
  10. Mar 24, 2014
    Ridiculous, proposterious.. That was my initial thoughts heading into Non-Stop. However, as farfetched as the film seems I was pleasantly surprised as this was better than I anticipated, with a few complexities thrown in along the way. Liam Neeson is a U.S air martial on a flight from New York to London however midway over the Atlantic Ocean he recieves a text on his secure phone statingRidiculous, proposterious.. That was my initial thoughts heading into Non-Stop. However, as farfetched as the film seems I was pleasantly surprised as this was better than I anticipated, with a few complexities thrown in along the way. Liam Neeson is a U.S air martial on a flight from New York to London however midway over the Atlantic Ocean he recieves a text on his secure phone stating that someone aboard the plane will die every 20 minutes unoless $150million is transferred into a specific bank account. From there the mystery unfolds with Neeson trying to uncover who the person is responsible aboard the flight. Ofcourse, there are those cliche moments that you would expect and given his recent outings it's exactly what we've come to expect from Liam Neeson. If you go into the film without high expectations and enjoy it for what it is, then you'll no doubt be entertained. It's not going to win any awards but to pass the time it's worth the watch. Expand
  11. Mar 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My first cinema-going in Cairo in a rather mini-screen room downtown, my big-screen attendance needs to be revived, but in this arid season, the only credible choice (for me at least) is this Liam Neeson’s action flick, very pertinent to the current mystifying tragedy of Malaysian airline’s missing Boeing 777-200ER, and not the least because my goddess Moore is in it too, returns the favour to Neeson as a red-herring-and-the-possible-love-interest in it after their largely overlooked collaboration in Atom Egoyan’s erotic thriller CHLOE (2009, 7/10), oops, spoilers alert!

The premise is smart and efficient enough to pique audience’s interest in this airplane-bound whodunit hijacking, Bill Marks (Neeson), an air marshal with alcoholic problem and a heart-rending past, tries to expose the mastermind who extorts $150 million to an account abroad by claiming to kill one fuselage-confined passenger (or crew member) every 20 minutes inside a transatlantic vehicle. What is more insidious, the plot is divulged to frame Marks as the fall guy, and with some inexplicable twists and three body counts, it almost works.

But no one should pick on Liam Neeson, overtly the most bankable action star over-60 presently (TAKEN 2008, 7/10; THE GREY 2011, 7/10; TAKEN 2 2012, 5/10), take that Stallone, Schwarzenegger and Bruce Willis! Reunited with Jaume Collet-Serra, the director of UNKNOWN (2011), he is forlorn and desperate to outstrip his unidentified enemy, but he will catch the culprit under any circumstances. So we all embark on the shot in the dark with Bill, deducing by appearance, physiognomy, utterance and of course, ethnics, but the film firmly sticks to the political correctness. The message communication between Marks and the unknown terrorist who hacks the specialised network inside the aircraft plays a major part in conveying information essential to audience’s own judgement and slickly props up the storytelling along the riddle until a time-bomb is uncovered. Then one negligent boo-boo will betray who is the extorter.

It is a challenging task to round up such an original scheme and offer a satisfactory explanation, so the finishing-up process is cursorily executed (especially the motive and the preposterous set pieces involving several key characters’ conduct), it is understandable but the thirsty of a plausible closure has never been properly quenched, maybe they are working on a sequel due to its rosy box office achievements, hope Moore’s role can be excavated (from the huge scar on her chest) much deeper since she could be the big boss behind all the catastrophe.

Neeson is formidable and vulnerable alternately, he certainly enjoys the exploitation of the typecast lone-hero fashion, but one does hope he can return to his character-actor realm during the breaks, he is much overdue for some serious recognition besides these cash consolation after the ski tragedy killed his wife Natasha Richardson. The rest of the cast is borderline passable, glad to see Dockery manage to grab a decent role on big screen out of her DOWNTON ABBEY property. But Nyong’o doesn’t need this on her filmography at all, I will not spoil too much, nevertheless a big relief for me is that she survives instead of being written off hastily with her Grace Jones hairstyling.
  12. Sep 3, 2014
    If you watched the trailer to Non-Stop, then just like me, you likely went to see this one purely for Lady Mary punching flight attendants. Non-Stop has the tendency to resemble other films of the genre, but it throws predictability out the door with an interesting ending twist.
  13. Mar 11, 2014
    It was actually somehow not terrible like most February Liam Neeson movies. Non-Stop actually has a pretty decent plot and solid action, but that stupid post-911 cash in at the end really brings the whole thing down from being great. Still, I thought it was solid for February.
  14. Mar 22, 2014
    Average flick but can enjoy yourselves one time (at theatre). I laughed out loud in the scene where Liam gives the girl a ribbon, and the girl replies 'Are you bribing me?'
  15. Apr 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Modern day action man Liam Neeson is back in Non-Stop, a fairly generic mystery thriller set almost entirely aboard a transatlantic flight from New York to London where Neeson must root out a terrorist who has vowed to kill a passenger every twenty minutes until his demands are met.

Even if the plot is a little contrived, it does have unexpected twists and turns; including the methods through which the killer carries out his murders. There is plenty of suspense, and Neeson bring his natural gravitas to the role.

It may seem grandiose to apply such analysis to an obvious B-movie such as this, but there’s something elegant in its adherence to the classical unities of drama, which are rarely explored in mainstream works. Indeed, the film is almost set in real time, each twenty minute increment of the film roughly corresponding to each twenty minute ultimatum given by the antagonist.

The initial sequence in the airport is an engaging opening; a collage of disorientating images which emphasise the disconnection Neeson’s character feels from the world around him. Once aboard the aircraft, we are treated to a less subtle series of shots introducing us to the motley crew of passengers, who invite suspicion with their mysterious aside glances. You can tell already that these characters will later become the major suspects in the investigation.

Neeson’s as forlorn and enigmatic as ever, though his character is unlikely: a jaded alcoholic US Air Marshal who’s terrified of flying, when he really needs all his wits about him. In contrast to other films which cast him as an American with no explanation, Non-Stop takes a rare opportunity to justify his Northern Irish accent by listing his birthplace as Belfast, and even making a small plot point out of the revelation.

Indeed, despite the very American themes which ultimately come to define the picture, this is an inspiringly international affair. It was produced primarily as a French-American collaboration, but helmed by Juame Collet-Serra the Spanish director of Neeson’s previous action outing, the Berlin-set Unknown (2011). In addition to the Northern Irish leading man, there’s a British vein running throughout by virtue of the plane itself being a British staffed flight to London, providing the chance to cast some UK talent as well as some Americans feigning over the top faux accents.

When he’s not working furiously against the clock, Neeson’s character humanised with a few compulsive characteristics: a shameless tug at the heartstrings each time Neeson interacts with the terrified child aboard the flight, a weakness for smoking in aeroplane toilets, presumably as a stress relief, and a ribbon he ties around his fingers during takeoff.

Naturally, the latter provides an icebreaker, sparking a conversation with fellow traveller Jen (Julianne Moore). The ribbon is also an all important connection to the character’s daughter, whose story will later become an important plot point, paralleling the sadness in Neeson’s own life.

The cabin lights are dimmed, bathing everything in an ominous blue colour palette. The atmosphere is emphasised by the slow and intoxicating soundtrack, under which lies the heavy throb of the aeroplane engines. Though the wall of sound can become grating at times, this weaves an appropriate tapestry, undoubtedly highlighted by the complete absence of dialogue during this first stage of the flight as Neeson converses with his unseen adversary for the first time through an instant messaging conversation; a thoroughly twenty first century touch.

Non-Stop is nothing special, but it delivers a competent if uncomplicated thriller, even if it does take some liberties with our disbelief, and indulges in some eye-rollingly gratuitous slow motion action shots near the end. Still, it comes in to land a few increments above trite.
  16. May 26, 2014
    Despite its preposterous final act and underused side characters, Non-Stop delivers with its tense tone, thrilling action, and Liam Neeson's fine acting.
  17. Dec 26, 2014
    Liam Neeson's performance is good, and the film has fine action sequences especially towards the ending but the plot is sometimes complicated. Neeson is still showing some of his badass presence.
  18. chw
    Mar 12, 2015
    Many corny lines, clichés, and plot holes are in this movie. It would've been an 8 without the amount of the three. The plot holes outnumber the clichés, and they outnumber the corny lines. That's not saying there's little of any of them.
  19. Mar 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Lets not take this film too seriously, if one was to do that they may break down and end up looking like Cate Blanchet did at the end of Blue Jasmine.

Liam Neeson teams up once again with Jaume Collet-Serra to play a grizzly, alcoholic, divorced, troubled and killing machine veteran. In this movie, he is also federal air marshal on a business class transatlantic flight. What is remarkable about Neeson’s performance in recent roles is that he manages to play it straight all the way through even as the events around him become drastically implausible. The audience will laugh aloud as Non-Stop ticks of its checklist of clichés. Is this necessarily a bad thing? It wouldn’t appear that way if we place ourselves in the seats of a mass audience after a virtual ride of entertainment.

The varied and actually rather interesting ensemble cast keeps us guessing as to whether they are good or bad guys. Playing the flight attendants we have Lupita Nyong’o, Oscar winner for 12 Years a Slave, who has about three throwaway lines of “What is going on?” and Michelle Dockery, our fantastic Lady Mary from Downtown Abbey. Among the passengers, Julianne Moore plays Bill’s (Neeson) seatmate as a relatively suspicious lady who becomes a female obstacle of wonder for Bill by the end. Corey Stoll from House of Cards plays a New York cop who is the first to take real test amongst Bill’s actions, though, of course, in the end they salute in brotherhood as fellow men of the law.

Liam Neeson provides the comedic relief in this movie. He is emotionally troubled as always and uses this emotion to fuel his brutal hand-to-hand combat in toilet cubicles and tight aisle spaces. We know everyone who tries to mess with him is making a big mistake, if only they had seen him take on the pack of wolves in The Gray and the callous villains in Taken.

The screenplay, written by a bunch of guys, has a few slapdash twists and a few touches of sentimentality amidst the fists and thrills. In light of modern technology, a boy on the flight is able to video Bill acting violently towards a passenger and post it online to a viral reception, which in turn stirs news reporters to broadcast the event and consequently alert the flight passengers on their TVs. Technology isn’t on Bills side here. Bill has also recently lost his daughter, at which point some of us may confuse what film we are watching, and consequently acts excessively mawkish towards the young girl who happens to be all alone on this flight.

So, this is yet another hijack movie in which the pay-off is frankly preposterous, but in which there are occasional heightened moments of action. It doesn’t match up to Air Force One or Con Air, but it does nevertheless have a powerful statement behind it. Lets just say it reaches for some sharp post 9/11 political commentary that entirely exceeds its grasp and becomes utterly excruciating.

I am not one myself for flying, but even if you are, certainly do not watch this film on a transatlantic flight.
  20. Mar 23, 2014
    Okay, so he's at it again. You can almost hear the quotable tweets (if there were any), even as the lines slur from Neeson's mouth. Having become something of a staple, albeit surprising, action-hero in the past few years with the likes of Taken and its risible sequel and others, Liam Neeson returns to play an Air Marshall with problems of his own on a flight that requires nothing if notOkay, so he's at it again. You can almost hear the quotable tweets (if there were any), even as the lines slur from Neeson's mouth. Having become something of a staple, albeit surprising, action-hero in the past few years with the likes of Taken and its risible sequel and others, Liam Neeson returns to play an Air Marshall with problems of his own on a flight that requires nothing if not his full attention.

And the film opens well enough, introducing us briefly but intriguingly to the main protaganists that we will be spending the majority of our time with. Neeson's brooding Air Marshall, Michelle Dockery's approachable stewardess and Julianne Moore's smart but passive/aggressive passenger. All of this is expertly done, like the good old days of 'Airport' movies, that give you just enough of a characters' backstory to keep them interesting, though not enough to be sure whether they will make it to the end of the film with the rest of us. Think of the setup in The Poseidon Adventure for example, in 1972, and you're not going far wrong.

There are more than just these three characters of course, as this flight is almost full and paying attention at the time will do you a service as the clues are there should you choose to look and alot goes unmentioned, though not unnoticed, in the first few minutes. In this regard, the film does well to demand your attention and hold you there. While it tries to be subtle, it is not aiming for a highbrow audience, which is evident early on, as Neeson's Marshall is something of a predictable maverick and if not riddled with the standard imperfections of a Hollywood hero, then he certainly enjoys enough of them (doesn't like to fly, knows how to bend the rules, chequered past etc) for us to realise his character traits before he has the chance to tell us.

All of this before you're even twenty minutes in. So far, you're in danger of becoming a contented dozing passenger in this story, like most of the planes' occupants. But like Neeson here, you are part of a different world, the world that sees what others do not. You are being slowly cosseted by the film, absent-mindedly blindsided by the trickery of the admittedly admirable, if occasionally dawdling, story-telling. You see what he sees, so you must be like him, right? The film engages you early on, as Taken did in the same fashion. The plan of all this, of course, is to have you quite blatantly siding with the hero and if possible, cheering and clapping for him by the end.

But this ride, for that is ultimately what it is, is not quick in the delivery or as obvious as it may first appear. There are obvious nods to conventional thinking and then again, unspoken polarising opinion delivered in the form of a glance here or there or maybe where the script delivers something other than would normally be expected of a thriller that does not class the intelligent viewer as its target demographic. In this respect, it is a surprising, not to mention welcome, twist to proceedings which impresses more by what is not written, but implied of the audience by the film.

But before we get ahead of ourselves, this is not a classic. It is, as we have mentioned, an action movie, through and through and would we have it any other way? Probably not. The performance from Neeson is predictably gruff, but maybe lacking the soul of a desperate father. Yes, there is peril here that the man has to cope with, but it not as believable that he would do these things for these people had he not been the parent of all of them. In this respect, Neeson's character, dutiful though he may have been, appears not quite believable enough. In the face of all the odds stacked against you, would you go to the same lengths? If not, does that make you less human, or the character in focus less believable? You decide.

In all though, Non-Stop is good value for its running time, if a little slow to begin with, albeit purposely. The story is never too complicated to befuddle the less observant, yet clever enough to impress those looking for something more than just another Snakes On A Plane. Enjoyable, often actually thrilling, with a passable script and decent, if not outstanding support from Dockery, Moore and the underused and recently award-winning Lupita Nyong'o. Good throwaway fun.
  21. Aug 3, 2014
    The problem with the forgettable movie starring Liam Neeson is that crafts a weak story that progresses until a disappointing end, leaving the audience frustrated. "Non-Stop" still features a talented cast and a climate of tension, however, fans of thrilling summer blockbusters will be left down.
  22. Jul 26, 2014
    I've had better..... But not many. Non-stop is everything you'd expect from your classic "hijacking on a plane" scenario, and that's a good thing. It has a few twists and turns, but honestly, I think the movie would have been better without them, as they only really serve to confuse and test the boundaries of believability. It's certainly a popcorn-muncher, but I don't think anything willI've had better..... But not many. Non-stop is everything you'd expect from your classic "hijacking on a plane" scenario, and that's a good thing. It has a few twists and turns, but honestly, I think the movie would have been better without them, as they only really serve to confuse and test the boundaries of believability. It's certainly a popcorn-muncher, but I don't think anything will ever hold a candle to Air Force Once! Expand
  23. Nov 10, 2014
  24. Oct 12, 2014
    A claustrophobic suspenseful thriller about an air Marshall played by Liam Neeson that receives messages ,from an unknown person,about people dying every 20 minutes if he doesn't get paid.And despite the fact the mystery doesn't pay off,Non-Stop is a movie filled with intense dialogue and action scenes.
  25. May 25, 2015
    Not bad not good. I found it to be an ok movie to watch. I think a lot of people will like this movie and others will hate this movie. I say if you have nothing to do watch Non-Stop.

1. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    Apr 18, 2014
    It's a completely average film that makes a few terrible choices.
    The key to a good B-mystery is that all the actors should be a little stilted. You should never know the difference between an actor acting badly and an actor doing a masterful acting job of someone acting badly. In Non-Stop, there is much excellent bad acting.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Feb 28, 2014
    Shot in grainy, unflattering closeups occasionally alleviated by flashily edited fight scenes, Non-Stop is no more or less than what it intends to be: the kind of midlevel brainless entertainment you might watch, between meals and naps, on an international flight. Try to enjoy the ride — and no texting, please.