North Country

7.5

1. Darryl
    Oct 24, 2005
    With Anita Hill on the tube, like a ghost, rooting her on, Josie finds the strength to face down the men. It's a shame she didn't have a light saber or some kind of Tommy Gun to mow down these "monsters". The exaggerated meanness diminishes the real subtle and coercive peeling away that sexual abuse procures. The film sets the women's movement back a good 30 years by With Anita Hill on the tube, like a ghost, rooting her on, Josie finds the strength to face down the men. It's a shame she didn't have a light saber or some kind of Tommy Gun to mow down these "monsters". The exaggerated meanness diminishes the real subtle and coercive peeling away that sexual abuse procures. The film sets the women's movement back a good 30 years by unwittingly participating in the same heart wrenching cruelty the men in this film intend to portray. I would not console her if I could. The men were the more deceived, out in that mine, that she was. All their hatred, anger, ignorence the film taught as power and perhaps unwittingly laid the groundwork for others to see that the only real victory is through litigation and some judge banging a gavel. None of those men changed, and so the hatred becomes instilled and boiling beneath the surface. Any half-assed student of human behavior knows it will out. And women will keep on losing. But by then we'll be on to Charlie's next move, another science fiction like this one. Expand
  2. Mar 24, 2011
    The movie is terribly contrived. The story is great. The movie was not so great. And I believe it had a lot to do with the poor direction. It was a good story that would have better been told in the hands of another director. To see what Francis Ford Coppola did with Rainmaker and then to watch this movie is about how the entire Mining company would have felt at the end of the trial:The movie is terribly contrived. The story is great. The movie was not so great. And I believe it had a lot to do with the poor direction. It was a good story that would have better been told in the hands of another director. To see what Francis Ford Coppola did with Rainmaker and then to watch this movie is about how the entire Mining company would have felt at the end of the trial: utter disappointment.

The court scenes were a mess. The acting was good but I couldn't pay attention to it because I was so lost by the direction on the movie.

Steven Soderbergh's Erin Brokovich was much better than this movie. Though important to the storyline, the fecal, scatological, crass and disgusting behaviour by the Male miners was used as a crutch by Caro. She simply leaned on it too much. It would have been move rewarding to give the viewer more depth rather than lean on the Male behaviour in the the mines. We are not all moved by scat. A touch of real human emotion would have told much more than a prolonged scene with a ****

At the end of the movie I still couldn't really feel for Josey Aimes and not due in any part to the real life woman, Lois Jensen, or the acting by Charlize Theron, who was great. It was Caro's inability to focus on what mattered in the story. What was contrived? Josey's relationship with her father, lawyer and children, mostly. Though most interaction between the protagonist and Glory made me sick, sicker than the virtually ubiquitous smut. This movie SHOULD HAVE been more absorbing. And the ending...just like my own review's ending...plop.

1. The issue of sexual politics so dominates the story that it's a relief when an emotional showdown involves family rather than workplace issues. Not so surprisingly, these are the movie's best scenes.
  2. Reviewed by: David Rooney
    An emotionally potent story told with great dignity.
    Charlize Theron, in nonglam mode, dominates this powerful drama about sexual harassment at a Minnesota iron ore mine in the early 90s.