Universal Pictures | Release Date: May 28, 1999
8.1
Universal acclaim based on 83 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SummersausageJan 6, 2013
This movie was duuuuummmb. It was long and stupid long looks at other characters that led to stupid innuendos that don't work until an ending that just died on the table.
BokisMoviesApr 18, 2014
“Notting Hill” was a movie I was hesitantly looking forward to because it stars a bunch of solid actors like Hugh Grant (“Four Weddings and a Funeral”), Julia Roberts (“Erin Brockowich”) and Rhys Ifans (“The Amazing Spiderman”). I had also“Notting Hill” was a movie I was hesitantly looking forward to because it stars a bunch of solid actors like Hugh Grant (“Four Weddings and a Funeral”), Julia Roberts (“Erin Brockowich”) and Rhys Ifans (“The Amazing Spiderman”). I had also heard some good things about it. Then again it was a romantic comedy and those are really hit and miss for me… I am however pleased to say that I liked it.

“Notting Hill” has a very basic plot: simple bookshop owner William Thacker, played by Grant, falls in love with the beautiful moviestar Anna Scott, played by Roberts. The entire movie is then a predictable “will they, won’t they?” ride but it is an enjoyable one at that.

I have already cited the main cast, Grant, Roberts, Ifans, and they are all great. Hugh Grant is perfect in his role since he delivers his lines with a dry wit that the character demands. Roberts suits her part great as well not only because of her looks but also because of her natural sense of humor. I know Rhys Ifans from “The Amazing Spiderman” where he plays the dead serious professor, Curt Connors. His role in this film is not like Connors. Not at all actually. Here he is an odd-ball, slacker who lives with William, named Spike. I have noticed that characters named Spike are often kooky… Just a fun sidenote.

Roger Michell is the director helming this film and his directing in this movie is fine. Nothing spectacluar or remarkable like what Edgar Wright does but… fine. He uses some long continuous shots that looks nice and the cinematography is very cool at times.

The soundtrack in “Notting Hill” is good. I say that it is good because it has one great part and one not so great part. First of all is the orchestral soundtrack wich is not the best. I wouldn’t say it’s sub-par but it feels too cheesy and it beats you over the head sometimes. Then there is the great part, the songs. “When You Say Nothing At All” is such a great song and it fits the film brilliantly. Other songs are played throughout the movie and they are equally fitting,

“Notting Hill” is a rom-com in it’s purest form. I have already described the basic plot wich is obviously not the strongest part of the film. The best part is however the script. The dialogue is very witty and funny. I cracked up several times thanks to the dry, humorous both style and tone of the talk in the film. However, the dialogue is a double edged sword. While it is funny it is very unbelievable and it feels fake and theater-like. I have no problem with theater but plays and movies are two different mediums and they should not be switched up.

So in the end, “Notting Hill” is a standard rom-com with funny dialogue and fine acting. The story is compelling enough to keep you invested while not leaving the formula we are used to. If you want to see a fun movie with great chemistry between the actors you may not have to look any further than to “Notting Hill”.
susanl.Mar 1, 2008
Romance, celebrity and laughs.
EllisA.Jan 28, 2009
This movie is suck a feel good movie. You can watch it at all times, it cheers up every moment! It's lovely!
CapoOct 17, 2009
This film could be the best classics of all time.
ricof.May 13, 2005
Perfect couple... perfect story...absolutely funny.... and most of all u will cry if you seen this movie.... absolutely deligthful.
AbhikSAug 28, 2005
This is a candidate for the worst movie ever made.
BenOct 4, 2004
This is my favourite movie, because it breaks the cliché?s from all the other hopeless romantic movies. Immensely recommended!
CristinaS.Nov 29, 2001
Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant show what it takes to make a great romantic comedy, proving that love can come from unexpected circumstances.
SedatT.Feb 14, 2002
It's great. I love u julia roberts...
KentM.Nov 2, 2001
Great movie, awesome cast and I've probably seen it at least a dozen times. My only regret was not catching it in the theatres when it was playing.
TieNov 5, 2002
Romance, comedy, drama, ... this movie has it all! Roberts and Grant... perfect match!
ConradR.Jul 9, 2001
Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant at their best.
EmilyB.Sep 16, 2002
It mixes reality with surrealism perfectly to make a believable, and brilliant plot.
JosieP.Apr 3, 2001
I've probably seen this thing like 15 times, and it never seems to get old. Great music, especially the Elvis Costello.
BrianM.Jul 18, 2002
An awesome movie!!! Buy it... rent it... just see it.
NicoleJul 30, 2001
This one is an original. There is no movie like it. Excellent story.
MiloslavS.Apr 15, 2002
Pretty good.
VickiB.Oct 24, 2003
A really funny film, Grant is really good as Will but the show stealer has to be Spike as the welsh roomate, he is hilarious! And those t-shirts!
KimR.Jan 6, 2002
Absolutely fantastic movie, have only seen it a couple of times but it got to my heart from the very moment I first saw it, and it's really, really good.
PatC.Jan 12, 2004
Once again two overpaid romance androids stammer into bed, provide the lovelorn a relaxing fix, and resolve elements in our lives for which there will never be a test.
KathyC.Apr 11, 2004
Julia Roberts shines in this romantic comedy!
PamR.Apr 27, 2004
I loved this movie. It's sweet, romantic, and funny!
farahdMar 10, 2005
I have watched it again and over again, and still, every sentence and every single movement add to the idea that cinema could so close and real.
PaulC.Mar 25, 2005
Wonderful premise and superbly executed. One of the best romantic comidies ever.
christiang.Apr 29, 2005
As far as romantic comedies go, this is the real deal. Julia Roberts is tremendously charming, and she makes a perfect match with Grant.
timrichieOct 19, 2014
One of the rare genuine non-cliched romantic films. A movie so sweet and tender, it makes you feel like a wide-eyed child, watching the Looney Tunes for the first time in his life.
drlowdonDec 24, 2014
When one of the World's most famous movie stars (played by Julia Roberts) wonders into his book store Will's (Hugh Grant) life is about to change forever.

Hugh Grant has made some pretty terrible movies of late but, while this isn't up in the same league as Four Wedding's and a Funeral, it does prove that he once made some fairly enjoyable feel good romantic comedies. Funny in places and emotional in others suspend your belief for a couple of hours, sit back and enjoy a bit of light hearted entertainment.
smiyamotNov 29, 2015
Boy meets girl; boy loses girl, boy gets girl, boy loses girl, boy wins girl back. Okay, you get the idea. But Julia and Hugh in this movie have that magic that doesn't happen very often. Let's see, Julia and Richard Gere in Pretty Woman.Boy meets girl; boy loses girl, boy gets girl, boy loses girl, boy wins girl back. Okay, you get the idea. But Julia and Hugh in this movie have that magic that doesn't happen very often. Let's see, Julia and Richard Gere in Pretty Woman. Great pairing so they made Runaway Bride. Nope. So Hugh is a travel book shop owner and Julia is a big time movie star. What do they have in common? Maybe movies like this result in a 50% divorce rate. Enough of that! It's a great, maybe the best, romantic comedy, The sound track of love songs really add to the movie so see it with a home theater sound system. Yes, when I went to London I did go to Notting Hill to see the locations for the movie. I don't have that many DVDs but this one is in my collection. Expand
John935Apr 9, 2016
This is one of those movies you either like or don't, and I hereby acknowledge there are those who don't. The songs are cringe-inducing, it would be better if it were 10 minutes shorter, and there are sappy moments, but this is a formidableThis is one of those movies you either like or don't, and I hereby acknowledge there are those who don't. The songs are cringe-inducing, it would be better if it were 10 minutes shorter, and there are sappy moments, but this is a formidable feelgood picture of its time (along w/ Shakespeare In Love). A few real critics have pointed out that it's a rare for romantic comedy to be about something besides the romance. It has things to say about celebrity, and the casting plays off that quite well. It's mostly well written and funny. Supporting kudos to the guy who plays the roommate (Rhys Ifans). Attention was paid to details. The result is not perfect but not sloppy either. Expand
SpangleOct 13, 2016
Notting Hill is a cute and charming late 1990s romantic comedy about a man, William Thacker (Hugh Grant), who meets a girl, movie star Anna Scott (Julia Roberts). Painfully adorable at times, the film has some oddly audacious camera movementNotting Hill is a cute and charming late 1990s romantic comedy about a man, William Thacker (Hugh Grant), who meets a girl, movie star Anna Scott (Julia Roberts). Painfully adorable at times, the film has some oddly audacious camera movement from a film of its type, while also being a terrific comedic romp. However, its romantic elements are spotty and wind up being the main weakness of this film from director Roger Michell.

Comedically, the writing is quintessential Richard Curtis. Sharp and witty, the comedy is not often overt, yet is almost always a winner. The comedy and the delivery from Hugh Grant had me in stitches many a time. This is the type of role where Grant truly shines as an actor, with Notting Hill being a sterling example of his main skillset: charmer with a quick British wit. The comedy here is intensely British from beginning to end, yet it manages to transcend cultural borders with nary a hitch.

The writing does slack in one area, however: the romance. Shockingly enough for a romantic film, the relationship and romance just did not work as well as expected. Though solid, it was far from expectations. Whilst together, the chemistry between Grant and Roberts is undeniable. The writing reflects this with truly magical sequences of them together that will charm the socks right off your feet with its cuteness. Blended with the aforementioned comedy, Notting Hill was on a good path with these scenes. Yet, its haste it smashing its two lovers together, lack of development of Anna Scott's character, and its resolution all leave a sour taste in your mouth. The end result is that the only conclusion about Anna the viewer can come to is that she is a **** Though Will is head-over-heels with her, we can never understand why. Yes, there is incredible chemistry and passion whilst together. Yet, she keeps dropping the ball and gives very little reason as to why he should try to make it work at all with her. This issue could have been avoided by showcasing her side of things more often and not rushing the romance. Instead, the film slams them together and expects it to work. Whilst it works when they are together, separate the two and things fall apart. The romance lacked justification and its emotion was spotty. By the end, you are convinced they should not be together, in spite of what the film should tell you: that they were meant for each other or some other cheesy reason. I am watching a romantic comedy. Give me cheese. Make me smile because something is so cute. This romance lacks that overall cuteness factor.

In spite of this, what won me over here is the camera work. Honestly, with the amount of tracking shots, one must wonder if Brian De Palma snuck on set and filmed some scenes in place of Roger Michell. This film loves its tracking shots, especially of Hugh Grant walking through Notting Hill. Another favorite of mine was him and Anna walking at night. This sequence in particular is the most romantic of the entire film and highlights the film's successes both with camera work (not just because of the tracking shot, the shot itself is quite good) and in crafting a romance. The best part of the scene with the duo walking, however, comes in the park. All of a sudden, a medium shot of them reading a park bench dedicated to a couple turns into a truly unique shot that I cannot say I have seen many times before. It is almost as if the camera is strapped to a balloon that was then allowed to float into the air. The end result is a truly striking aerial shot that really takes your breathe away. A final favorite comes with Hugh Grant walking through Notting Hill. Set solely to music, the camera tracks alongside Grant as seasons and time passes seamlessly. I typically hate when a film jumps ahead in time, but Notting Hill executes it so beautifully with a wide array of colors denoting the different seasons, that I have to mark this up sequence as a stroke of genius. Any film that wants to jump ahead in time should be taking notes from this sequence.

While the film is not as romantic as it could be, tremendous comedic efforts work to overcome the inadequacies of the romance. Plus, a film with this many lovely shots and interesting camera movements cannot be written off too quickly.