8.1

1. Dec 24, 2014
    When one of the World's most famous movie stars (played by Julia Roberts) wonders into his book store Will's (Hugh Grant) life is about to change forever.

Hugh Grant has made some pretty terrible movies of late but, while this isn't up in the same league as Four Wedding's and a Funeral, it does prove that he once made some fairly enjoyable feel good romantic comedies. Funny in places and emotional in others suspend your belief for a couple of hours, sit back and enjoy a bit of light hearted entertainment.
  2. Oct 19, 2014
    One of the rare genuine non-cliched romantic films. A movie so sweet and tender, it makes you feel like a wide-eyed child, watching the Looney Tunes for the first time in his life.
  3. Apr 18, 2014
    “Notting Hill” was a movie I was hesitantly looking forward to because it stars a bunch of solid actors like Hugh Grant (“Four Weddings and a Funeral”), Julia Roberts (“Erin Brockowich”) and Rhys Ifans (“The Amazing Spiderman”). I had also heard some good things about it. Then again it was a romantic comedy and those are really hit and miss for me… I am however pleased to say that I liked“Notting Hill” was a movie I was hesitantly looking forward to because it stars a bunch of solid actors like Hugh Grant (“Four Weddings and a Funeral”), Julia Roberts (“Erin Brockowich”) and Rhys Ifans (“The Amazing Spiderman”). I had also heard some good things about it. Then again it was a romantic comedy and those are really hit and miss for me… I am however pleased to say that I liked it.

“Notting Hill” has a very basic plot: simple bookshop owner William Thacker, played by Grant, falls in love with the beautiful moviestar Anna Scott, played by Roberts. The entire movie is then a predictable “will they, won’t they?” ride but it is an enjoyable one at that.

I have already cited the main cast, Grant, Roberts, Ifans, and they are all great. Hugh Grant is perfect in his role since he delivers his lines with a dry wit that the character demands. Roberts suits her part great as well not only because of her looks but also because of her natural sense of humor. I know Rhys Ifans from “The Amazing Spiderman” where he plays the dead serious professor, Curt Connors. His role in this film is not like Connors. Not at all actually. Here he is an odd-ball, slacker who lives with William, named Spike. I have noticed that characters named Spike are often kooky… Just a fun sidenote.

Roger Michell is the director helming this film and his directing in this movie is fine. Nothing spectacluar or remarkable like what Edgar Wright does but… fine. He uses some long continuous shots that looks nice and the cinematography is very cool at times.

The soundtrack in “Notting Hill” is good. I say that it is good because it has one great part and one not so great part. First of all is the orchestral soundtrack wich is not the best. I wouldn’t say it’s sub-par but it feels too cheesy and it beats you over the head sometimes. Then there is the great part, the songs. “When You Say Nothing At All” is such a great song and it fits the film brilliantly. Other songs are played throughout the movie and they are equally fitting,

“Notting Hill” is a rom-com in it’s purest form. I have already described the basic plot wich is obviously not the strongest part of the film. The best part is however the script. The dialogue is very witty and funny. I cracked up several times thanks to the dry, humorous both style and tone of the talk in the film. However, the dialogue is a double edged sword. While it is funny it is very unbelievable and it feels fake and theater-like. I have no problem with theater but plays and movies are two different mediums and they should not be switched up.

So in the end, “Notting Hill” is a standard rom-com with funny dialogue and fine acting. The story is compelling enough to keep you invested while not leaving the formula we are used to. If you want to see a fun movie with great chemistry between the actors you may not have to look any further than to “Notting Hill”.
  4. Jan 6, 2013
    This movie was duuuuummmb. It was long and stupid long looks at other characters that led to stupid innuendos that don't work until an ending that just died on the table.
  5. Capo
    Oct 17, 2009
    This film could be the best classics of all time.
  6. EllisA.
    Jan 28, 2009
    This movie is suck a feel good movie. You can watch it at all times, it cheers up every moment! It's lovely!
  7. susanl.
    Mar 1, 2008
    Romance, celebrity and laughs.
  8. AbhikS
    Aug 28, 2005
    This is a candidate for the worst movie ever made.
  9. ricof.
    May 13, 2005
    Perfect couple... perfect story...absolutely funny.... and most of all u will cry if you seen this movie.... absolutely deligthful.
  10. christiang.
    Apr 29, 2005
    As far as romantic comedies go, this is the real deal. Julia Roberts is tremendously charming, and she makes a perfect match with Grant.
  11. PaulC.
    Mar 25, 2005
    Wonderful premise and superbly executed. One of the best romantic comidies ever.
  12. farahd
    Mar 10, 2005
    I have watched it again and over again, and still, every sentence and every single movement add to the idea that cinema could so close and real.
  13. Ben
    Oct 4, 2004
    This is my favourite movie, because it breaks the cliché?s from all the other hopeless romantic movies. Immensely recommended!
  14. PamR.
    Apr 27, 2004
    I loved this movie. It's sweet, romantic, and funny!
  15. KathyC.
    Apr 11, 2004
    Julia Roberts shines in this romantic comedy!
  16. PatC.
    Jan 12, 2004
    Once again two overpaid romance androids stammer into bed, provide the lovelorn a relaxing fix, and resolve elements in our lives for which there will never be a test.
  17. VickiB.
    Oct 24, 2003
    A really funny film, Grant is really good as Will but the show stealer has to be Spike as the welsh roomate, he is hilarious! And those t-shirts!
  18. Tie
    Nov 5, 2002
    Romance, comedy, drama, ... this movie has it all! Roberts and Grant... perfect match!
  19. EmilyB.
    Sep 16, 2002
    It mixes reality with surrealism perfectly to make a believable, and brilliant plot.
  20. BrianM.
    Jul 18, 2002
    An awesome movie!!! Buy it... rent it... just see it.
  21. MiloslavS.
    Apr 15, 2002
    Pretty good.
  22. SedatT.
    Feb 14, 2002
    It's great. I love u julia roberts...
  23. KimR.
    Jan 6, 2002
    Absolutely fantastic movie, have only seen it a couple of times but it got to my heart from the very moment I first saw it, and it's really, really good.
  24. CristinaS.
    Nov 29, 2001
    Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant show what it takes to make a great romantic comedy, proving that love can come from unexpected circumstances.
  25. KentM.
    Nov 2, 2001
    Great movie, awesome cast and I've probably seen it at least a dozen times. My only regret was not catching it in the theatres when it was playing.
  26. Nicole
    Jul 30, 2001
    This one is an original. There is no movie like it. Excellent story.
  27. ConradR.
    Jul 9, 2001
    Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant at their best.
  28. JosieP.
    Apr 3, 2001
    I've probably seen this thing like 15 times, and it never seems to get old. Great music, especially the Elvis Costello.

1. A smartly cast and consistently amusing romantic comedy.
  2. The overall result is a romantic comedy that indulges fantasies, calms insecurities (can an ordinary bloke stack up?), and breaks and mends hearts with surgical precision.
  3. The deft, hilarious Notting Hill finds Grant's dour-droll-deprecating affliction at its most dead-on.