7.2

1. Mar 21, 2014
    Nymphomaniac is more than "sex epic"; it is an intelligent, gripping and a rather intense masterpiece made brilliant by great writing and fantastic acting - blending humour and shocking moments in equal measure, but also being a smart and engaging experience as well. It does have its flaws, albeit minor; Shia LaBeouf's strange "British" accent and some odd casting changes in Volume II.Nymphomaniac is more than "sex epic"; it is an intelligent, gripping and a rather intense masterpiece made brilliant by great writing and fantastic acting - blending humour and shocking moments in equal measure, but also being a smart and engaging experience as well. It does have its flaws, albeit minor; Shia LaBeouf's strange "British" accent and some odd casting changes in Volume II. This film is definitely NOT for everyone due to its incredibly raunchily and controversial nature and some jaw-droppingly shocking moments and also its length which some may consider to be overlong. But the film is definitely worth a watch, and is worth to be analysed as well. Expand
  2. Mar 26, 2014
    Nymphomaniac is a erotic drama that not only sticks with you throughout- it makes you keep your eyes open for the disturbing climax behind it. A very deep and engaging sex drama. Gettinsburg is excellent- one of the best female actresses of the year. And Wilem Dafoe is good as well. A must watch.
  3. Aug 7, 2014
    sex epic... erotic dreamscape... this movie is alive! the preview intrigued me... Nymphomaniac has one great message; love. truly gripping story-telling. brilliant writing from Lars von Trier! crazy good cast every actor played their part well, top notch drama! A++
  4. Sep 26, 2014
    Though I think von Trier intended this and its sequel as a four-hour egg in the face of conservative America, I thought it was an excellent look at sexual relations and their minefield-laced politics, showing wonderful imagination. Great acting by Christian Slater, Charlotte Gainsbourg and Stellan Skarsgård. Highly anticipating watching the sequel this evening!
  5. Oct 6, 2014
    I was tentative about this one. I love some of Von Trier; Dancer in the Dark is beautiful. Antichrist was true garbage to me-- gratuitous metaphors to the point of lacking metaphor. But this first volume of the film was truly something special. Even though the narrative dialogue is a bit contrived, the story is extremely fluid and could only come from an educated mind, from someone whoI was tentative about this one. I love some of Von Trier; Dancer in the Dark is beautiful. Antichrist was true garbage to me-- gratuitous metaphors to the point of lacking metaphor. But this first volume of the film was truly something special. Even though the narrative dialogue is a bit contrived, the story is extremely fluid and could only come from an educated mind, from someone who sees sex in a very realistic sense. It is an intellectual journey into the origins of misunderstanding and abuse of a psychologically affected girl. It is riveting and accurately emotional, and never plays it too heavy-handed. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Apr 4, 2014
    Vol. 1 functions reasonably well as a standalone film in its own right, playing out like a dose of mass therapy, an interesting, Von Trier-led sexploration of humankind's conflicted approach to sex: We love it, but we also fear it and are often thoroughly ashamed of it.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Apr 3, 2014
    Presented as a stand-alone film, but without an explanation for the protagonist’s physical and emotional injuries, it’s a head-scratcher. As with Joe’s sexual compulsion, scratching can’t cure the itch.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Mar 26, 2014
    The filmmaker brings neither condescension nor moral outrage here. A father confessor to his benighted characters, von Trier may revel in the muck, but Nymphomaniac: Volume 1 is anything but a dirty movie.