• Studio: A24
  • Release Date: Jun 6, 2014
6.5

1. Jun 7, 2014
    Fantastic movie. Jenny Slate is going to be a huge star. She's funny as hell, but not in an obnoxious way. Entirely sympathetic in her approach. And immensely likable. The story is a classic choice for a good modern comedian. It's handled with care and a degree of class, yet it's riddled with very funny low-brow humor. Great supporting cast with Cross and Hoffman. See it.
  2. Jun 11, 2014
    Jenny Slate is a revelation. I can't wait to see what she does next. This movie's topic may rile some moviegoers but it really shouldn't. I'm surprised that more standup comedians don't venture out to do this sort of movie more often. Come to think of it I would love to see Louis CK do this type of movie even though his TV show is essentially that.
  3. Jun 12, 2014
    Wow. So honest. So funny. I'm so glad I saw it. Not like any rom com I've ever seen (including indies). Jenny Slate is a great great talent. The rest of the cast is perfect. I hope lots of people get to see it.
  4. Jun 19, 2014
    Such a real and honest movie! Loved that they made normal the issue of abortion, which actually does happen to one third of women, so it's about time it got dealt with as ordinary. Lots of humor and love, what could be better?
  5. Dec 9, 2014
    Obvious Child does not beg you to like it and in doing so, creates a real relationship between the story teller and the viewer. Robespierre centres her talented cast around Jenny Slate, who's performance boasts both hilarity and subtle emotion, so that even the coldest of us end up rooting for her as a protagonist. It's refusal to make a grandiose statement on behalf of a community makesObvious Child does not beg you to like it and in doing so, creates a real relationship between the story teller and the viewer. Robespierre centres her talented cast around Jenny Slate, who's performance boasts both hilarity and subtle emotion, so that even the coldest of us end up rooting for her as a protagonist. It's refusal to make a grandiose statement on behalf of a community makes this movie both relatable and contemplative, forcing the viewer to imagine themselves in such a position. Only the most hardened fundamentalist should have an issue with this film, despite your personal beliefs on the subject. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ed Frankl
    Sep 22, 2014
    This is a film of ideas, but it's a comedy first, and its boldness is that it doesn't aim to address a pro-choice or pro-life stance - it's about Donna just getting on with it all the same.
  2. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Aug 25, 2014
    Sharp, funny and feeling, this isn't just Juno-meets-Girls but a smart film that tackles real-life issues with rare frankness.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jun 27, 2014
    Not all of the stand-up scenes in Obvious Child are quite as funny. At least one is meant to be bad. Another is meant to be poignant but just ends up coming off as a touch weird and emotionally false.