5.8

1. Aug 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A decent class B action movie from the mid-90's. In 2013 looks like a pure comedy, really, except for some propagandistic and dangerous moments (Middle-East celebrates the attack on the White House, Russia and China mobilize their forces, etc.). Brainwashing at its worst. As to the action, it's not bad, but too many violence and desintegrated civilians (to provoke the righteous anger among the audience, I guess). The rest is cliche, cliche, cliche. Cliche again. And again...And continuous insult on the common sense. Just to name the few (of quite a many) cargo aircraft shooting down the F-22 interceptors, transport helicopters storming the AA emplacement, elite White House security guards brainlessly rushing on machine guns, the apocalyptic Cerberus device, DETONATING, not just destroying, all nuclear warheads (what's the point of creating such a system, except for turning USA into the nuclear wasteland???), the top-secret military protocol, of which even North-Korean terrorists are aware up to details...Well. This movie's worth of a single run, but I urge you not to take it seriously. And I'm really disappointed in Morgan Freeman, who I did respect very much, especially for the quite intelligent "Through the Wormhole" series. Expand
  2. Aug 8, 2013
    This one has its problems. The story drags at parts and a lot of the performances are underwhelming. However, I dug the story, the action is decent and the movie has a great villain. The film lacks a certain "wow factor" that other action films have but it's not a bad view.
  3. Aug 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was actually a lot better than I expected it to be. It had a lot of bloody violence, and the survival count of people that were taken hostage was 4. This was good fun, but definitely not for the squeamish. Expand
  4. May 25, 2014
    HaHa North Korea so funny!

HaHa North Korea so funny!

I was pleased with this movie i'm glad that The people behind it knew what it was and it did it's job well. It was good to see this being a rated "R" just because you know studio's do make it "PG13" just for the sake of MONEY but i'm glad they didn't with this one. Aaron Eckhart plays the president and he did his role good noting special but just enough. Gerard Butler is just a badass kinda like that 80's 90's action movie feel does it great since i mean he just kicks ass the whole time

Overall i give this movie a 7.0 a good action movie that i will buy
  5. Aug 18, 2013
    Overly dramatic; been there, done that. Yet, I sat through it fully entertained. Another movie suggesting that the White House has the security level of a fast food chain. Butler knows action like Freeman knows drama. I do not particularly enjoy movies with unrealistic plotlines, but a strong cast certainly made the difference in this one.
  6. Jan 17, 2014
    An idea clichéd to a point of no return, and acting (Freeman is pardoned, as is Eckhart), and the Koreans, rogue or not, are in no shape or form, threatening to us. The story itself destroys any creativity, and all the devastation cannot be recuperated from in just one day. There isn't really a happy ending out of all the people who died to save one man, and it's a disgrace that they evenAn idea clichéd to a point of no return, and acting (Freeman is pardoned, as is Eckhart), and the Koreans, rogue or not, are in no shape or form, threatening to us. The story itself destroys any creativity, and all the devastation cannot be recuperated from in just one day. There isn't really a happy ending out of all the people who died to save one man, and it's a disgrace that they even try at an optimistic conclusion for the waste of time and filming this movie took from Freeman and Eckhart, the only decent actors in the film. Expand
  7. Aug 27, 2013
    The script is lazy and stupid with huge plot holes just to support the story and "drama". It seems like a good action movie only because of all the mass murdering at the attack. Then it had the chance to be a Die Hard remake but failed it. It's only merit that the evil terrorist guys wasn't Muslims this time.
  8. Aug 31, 2013
    This is one wild ride! It will be too much for some people (too much noise, too much blood, etc etc) but that's okay. If you're able to suspend your disbelief, Fuqua's pacing zips along so fast that you bounce over the plot holes. It's like a roller coaster you'll want to get back on as soon as it's over. Butler, Freeman, Basset, Eckhart, et al are terrific!
  9. Sep 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow. After seeing both White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen, I can confidently say that though the idea is the same of terrorists taking over the Whitehouse, both directors (Roland Emmerich and Antoine Fuqua) made the movies extremely different.

The movie starts by showing President Benjamin Asher (Aaron Eckhart) and his family at Camp David. Within the first five minutes or so in the movie we can clearly tell that Benjamin and Mike Banning (Gerard Butler, Head of Secret Service) are great friends in and out of work. On the way back from the retreat it is snowing very badly in basically blizzard type weather. Out of nowhere we see a big tree hit the President's Escalade and the van starts to swerve off the road. As all of the Secret Service are trying to pull the car back onto the road, they are able to get the president out, but not his wife gruesomely passes away. Mike takes full credit of this and resigns from his job. Almost two years later he decides to reapply for a job in the Secret Service. He is sitting at his desk when he sees an unknown jet shoot down two American jets and begin open firing on civilians and soon, the White House. Meanwhile President Asher is meeting with Prime Minister Lee (Keong Sim) and aside him, Kang Yeonsak (Rick Yune) who are at the White House during the attack. Kindly Mr. Asher takes them to the bunker along with McMillan, Rodriguez, and others. From there on, a turn of rather predictable events occur such as Koreans turning on Americans and much more.

I thought that from there forward, Olympus Has Fallen was extremely gory which in my opinion was not necessary at all. Seeing the guts inside one of the hostage’s neck was not necessary to cause the same audience reaction of fear.

Overall I think that Faqua picked a great cast of actors and actresses and they played their roles at the best of their ability. I honestly do not think that White House Down was better than Olympus Has Fallen or vice versa. I do recommend you see this movie though just go into it with a little bit of caution because there are times where I cringed at the gory scenes.

The deciding factor of which movie the audience would rather see though basically is would you rather see a comedy action movie (White House Down) or an action thriller (Olympus Has Fallen).
  10. Sep 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Olympus Has Fallen is probably one of my favorite political thrillers of all time. The suspense, action, disaster sequences, likable characters, etc. makes for a solid film with little going wrong in it. A few "why did they do that" moments, with some tighter plot lines could've done the trick to make this better, but other than that, it hits the mark on all levels. This movie took me back to John McTiernan's 1988 action thriller "Die Hard". This movie had all of the Die hard characteristics we all know and love, and in my opinion, was better than the newest installment to the series! Unlike that film, this movie had tight spaces, a lone ranger in a hostage situation, and even went lengths to feature one of the villains pretending to be a good guy, and is offered cigarettes, just like in 1988. Gerard Butler puts on a solid performance, and leaves me wanting more. A bunch of witty one liners are packed into a superb script by Creighton Rothenberger and Katrin Benedikt. My favorite line: "Here's a game we can play. It's called "Go F**k Yourself". You go first." A couple of funny moments and much drama and action make this an excellent thriller. And, to top it off, this movie has Morgan Freeman. Plus! Expand
  11. Sep 18, 2013
    First, let me say that I truly enjoyed this movie. It was fun, fast paced, and overall filled with some fun twists and turns. The characters are interesting, and decently developed (i.e. they won't win character development awards but they are believable in the movie's context).

The film features a low-frequency heavy DTS-MA audio track, with solid explosions, 360º range of bullet fire, and generally clear dialogue (a bit low on the volume scale for my tastes but with "night mode" on my receiver, it brought this a bit more in line). The movie was fun and kept me interested, whether as I was ducking under my coffee table with the sound of a bullet flying by or my breathing slowing as the character sneaks.

The video was good, presented in a well saturated 1080P. It was generally a dark movie though filled with some bright moments. For this reason it may be best to watch the movie in a dark room or at night so that the textures in the darkness aren't washed out by sunlight on the TV.

Overall, while enjoyable this movie isn't something I would go back to. The movie was good, and features a Die Hard-esque plot (one man vs. incredible odds) which is predictable once you get a quarter of the way into the movie. The characters are fun and they had my interest, but I never found myself truly "routing" for any characters. I couldn't get behind them fully as I never felt I understood the villains motives. The plot just kind of drops the motive on you and keeps going without any build up or solid explanation.

While the plot had it's weaknesses, it was fun, enjoyable and a fresh action romp that will keep those looking for a fun action movie without too much depth satisfied.
  12. Sep 27, 2013
    What are Gerrard Butler and Morgan Freeman doing in this movie?
    Surely Hollywood can find something better to do with its investment Dollars?
    There are good movies to be made out there!
    Unbelievable tawdry hackneyed plodding but mostly totally unbelievable rubbish

Gerrard takin the moolah ain't always the right career move
  13. Nov 5, 2013
    Gerrard Butler, I salute you! Both Butler and Freeman make this an engaging, fast paced action movie work well. Contrary to many incredibly intelligent reviewers (:D) I'm not of the opinion that every element of a movie should conform to the realms of plausibility If only insurgency operations were executed as well as this! I'd like to agree with a few reviews that strike resemblances toGerrard Butler, I salute you! Both Butler and Freeman make this an engaging, fast paced action movie work well. Contrary to many incredibly intelligent reviewers (:D) I'm not of the opinion that every element of a movie should conform to the realms of plausibility If only insurgency operations were executed as well as this! I'd like to agree with a few reviews that strike resemblances to the 80's action movie era, to any movie lovers who say all to often "They just don't make em like they used to".. it's worth a watch, and it's on Netflix! Expand
  14. Nov 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Olympus Has Fallen is a very horribly inaccurate movie that does not really make much sense how 40 north koreans can do that. This movie had an AC-130 flown by North Koreans just fly over Washington D.C. and the Air Force did not intervene until they were almost over the White house. Then the North Koreans had codes to SELF DESTRUCT/DISARM America's nukes not detonate (which is a difference) And had the U.S. pull all the troops out of the DMZ. Expand
  15. Nov 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very good acting, & great movie.
    The only thing I would complain god the visual effects, they should've work more on that aspect but wtvr I liked enough to watched again
  16. Dec 12, 2013
    Well, that movie was a disappointment. The potential was there for a good movie, the relationship with the President was well done, the lead character was believable and the attack on the White House was clever enough to suspend your disbelief. And then it all fell apart terribly.

Why did they not use the son more? That's your tension right there. They seemed to be building it up and it was like they just gave up on the stroryline. Don't get me started on the codes nonsense.

And oh the plot-holes. Look it's an action movie, I can forgive bullets that never hit the hero, magic weapons, stuff like that but what's unforgivable are characters that do things and situations that would never, ever happen. They just spoiled the movie completely.

And the violence. Wow. I think the director watched too much Walking Dead. It was completely gratuitous and overly graphic.

Overall the movie had all the right ingredients but were spoiled completely by the terrible plot holes. Not recommended.
  17. Jan 9, 2014
    Olympus Has Fallen short of a great finale. For the last scene reveals an incredible disrespect of tempo, form, and reality. Where is rhe Medic when you need it? Shouldn't the good all boys of the EMS had arrives to take care of the President rather than the President walking all the huge distance from the steps of the House to the ambulance? Those last ten minutes makea the great movieOlympus Has Fallen short of a great finale. For the last scene reveals an incredible disrespect of tempo, form, and reality. Where is rhe Medic when you need it? Shouldn't the good all boys of the EMS had arrives to take care of the President rather than the President walking all the huge distance from the steps of the House to the ambulance? Those last ten minutes makea the great movie that it was unsummonarble. There gpes another great movie down the piles of failure in the last secuence. One Star for that horrendous finale. Expand
  18. Apr 20, 2014
    This film borrows heavily from Die Hard, it's about Gerard Butler who acts as an inside man to stopping a terrorist attack. But overall, this movie is well-acted, tense and enjoyable (which is enough for action junkies with little expectation).
  19. Jun 2, 2014
    Typical for Hollywood.. Countless other examples of action hero films that are much better than this one. I would recommend you to miss this film, not worth watching. I don't think there's much to explain about this film. Dull and trite, president in danger, one man army, saves president, happy ever after.. I would recommend you to walk out on this one. Adequate acting, but the main issueTypical for Hollywood.. Countless other examples of action hero films that are much better than this one. I would recommend you to miss this film, not worth watching. I don't think there's much to explain about this film. Dull and trite, president in danger, one man army, saves president, happy ever after.. I would recommend you to walk out on this one. Adequate acting, but the main issue with the film is how it was executed and it's cliche plot. This film would have been better if the plot was original. Expand
  20. Apr 5, 2015
    Actually thought I might like this movie since it was a moderate hit and I loved movies of this type like the classic "Die Hard" and the excellent "Executive Decision". However, I had no idea it would be a cartoon which was immediately apparent from the start.
    Of course the action is going to be big and the antics probably over-the-top and pretty unrealistic, but there are good examples of that like say "Air Force One" and then there's this unbearably ridiculous, sadistically violent, and pathetically unrealistic junk which even blatantly rips off dialogue lines right out of Air Force One. The dialogue is so flat and lacking in realism it's as if a 12 year old wrote it. No, actually a 12 year old would have been more creative!
    As for casting Aaron Eckhart as the President, well it's about the silliest miscasting in a major movie I can think of. He's not a bad actor, but playing the President of the United States? Hey, what happened to the craft of casting in Hollywood?
    The attitude and tone in this movie is so immature, so lacking in intelligence that they flash up subtitles of various cabinet and other high ranking officials as if it matters at all or has any relevance, especially since they're not depicting real people.
    Where are the studio executives to call that out? Where are the notes on such a stupid move? (Oh right, studio executives nowadays aren't creative and don't know movies much less what works and what doesn't.)
    The movie is loaded with F words galore coming out of high level people of stature and even the President! I doubt even in the absurd scenario depicted by the pre-teens who made this film, that officials would talk that way.
    And phony poor quality VFX don't help lowest common denominator silliness like this, that's for sure.
  21. Sep 29, 2014
    Ambitiously stupid movie. And the sentiment is way past its prime. I don't think anyone, anywhere gives a **** about the "United States" or its whorish capital of Washington DC. I was rooting for the Koreans to be quite honest.
  22. Jan 16, 2015
    Simply the worst movie ever in the history of human kind. I even made this account just to write about the magnitude of garbageness this movie was able to present. Every scene is unrealistic and farcical to the maximum extent and as an American, I was truly distressed. Frankly, I wanted to stop watching after the first 15 minutes but I had to see the terrorists get castigated so endedSimply the worst movie ever in the history of human kind. I even made this account just to write about the magnitude of garbageness this movie was able to present. Every scene is unrealistic and farcical to the maximum extent and as an American, I was truly distressed. Frankly, I wanted to stop watching after the first 15 minutes but I had to see the terrorists get castigated so ended up seeing the whole movie in great dismay. Hence a caveat, don't watch this movie. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Guy Lodge
    Apr 29, 2013
    The thrills and the effects are cheap, but this is in hard-driving, good-humoured command of its own silliness.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Apr 19, 2013
    Part of the weirdness of this film lies in the fact that the tense North Korean situation in the real world gives it no realism or satirical edge, or prophetic authority of any kind.
    Olympus Has Fallen is a disgusting piece of work, but it certainly hits its marks — it makes you sick with suspense.