5.8

1. Aug 18, 2013
    Overly dramatic; been there, done that. Yet, I sat through it fully entertained. Another movie suggesting that the White House has the security level of a fast food chain. Butler knows action like Freeman knows drama. I do not particularly enjoy movies with unrealistic plotlines, but a strong cast certainly made the difference in this one.
  2. Jan 17, 2014
    An idea clichéd to a point of no return, and acting (Freeman is pardoned, as is Eckhart), and the Koreans, rogue or not, are in no shape or form, threatening to us. The story itself destroys any creativity, and all the devastation cannot be recuperated from in just one day. There isn't really a happy ending out of all the people who died to save one man, and it's a disgrace that they even try at an optimistic conclusion for the waste of time and filming this movie took from Freeman and Eckhart, the only decent actors in the film. Expand
  3. Aug 27, 2013
    The script is lazy and stupid with huge plot holes just to support the story and "drama". It seems like a good action movie only because of all the mass murdering at the attack. Then it had the chance to be a Die Hard remake but failed it. It's only merit that the evil terrorist guys wasn't Muslims this time.
  4. Aug 31, 2013
    This is one wild ride! It will be too much for some people (too much noise, too much blood, etc etc) but that's okay. If you're able to suspend your disbelief, Fuqua's pacing zips along so fast that you bounce over the plot holes. It's like a roller coaster you'll want to get back on as soon as it's over. Butler, Freeman, Basset, Eckhart, et al are terrific!
  5. Sep 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow. After seeing both White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen, I can confidently say that though the idea is the same of terrorists taking over the Whitehouse, both directors (Roland Emmerich and Antoine Fuqua) made the movies extremely different.

The movie starts by showing President Benjamin Asher (Aaron Eckhart) and his family at Camp David. Within the first five minutes or so in the movie we can clearly tell that Benjamin and Mike Banning (Gerard Butler, Head of Secret Service) are great friends in and out of work. On the way back from the retreat it is snowing very badly in basically blizzard type weather. Out of nowhere we see a big tree hit the President's Escalade and the van starts to swerve off the road. As all of the Secret Service are trying to pull the car back onto the road, they are able to get the president out, but not his wife gruesomely passes away. Mike takes full credit of this and resigns from his job. Almost two years later he decides to reapply for a job in the Secret Service. He is sitting at his desk when he sees an unknown jet shoot down two American jets and begin open firing on civilians and soon, the White House. Meanwhile President Asher is meeting with Prime Minister Lee (Keong Sim) and aside him, Kang Yeonsak (Rick Yune) who are at the White House during the attack. Kindly Mr. Asher takes them to the bunker along with McMillan, Rodriguez, and others. From there on, a turn of rather predictable events occur such as Koreans turning on Americans and much more.

I thought that from there forward, Olympus Has Fallen was extremely gory which in my opinion was not necessary at all. Seeing the guts inside one of the hostage’s neck was not necessary to cause the same audience reaction of fear.

Overall I think that Faqua picked a great cast of actors and actresses and they played their roles at the best of their ability. I honestly do not think that White House Down was better than Olympus Has Fallen or vice versa. I do recommend you see this movie though just go into it with a little bit of caution because there are times where I cringed at the gory scenes.

The deciding factor of which movie the audience would rather see though basically is would you rather see a comedy action movie (White House Down) or an action thriller (Olympus Has Fallen).
  6. Sep 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Olympus Has Fallen is probably one of my favorite political thrillers of all time. The suspense, action, disaster sequences, likable characters, etc. makes for a solid film with little going wrong in it. A few "why did they do that" moments, with some tighter plot lines could've done the trick to make this better, but other than that, it hits the mark on all levels. This movie took me back to John McTiernan's 1988 action thriller "Die Hard". This movie had all of the Die hard characteristics we all know and love, and in my opinion, was better than the newest installment to the series! Unlike that film, this movie had tight spaces, a lone ranger in a hostage situation, and even went lengths to feature one of the villains pretending to be a good guy, and is offered cigarettes, just like in 1988. Gerard Butler puts on a solid performance, and leaves me wanting more. A bunch of witty one liners are packed into a superb script by Creighton Rothenberger and Katrin Benedikt. My favorite line: "Here's a game we can play. It's called "Go F**k Yourself". You go first." A couple of funny moments and much drama and action make this an excellent thriller. And, to top it off, this movie has Morgan Freeman. Plus! Expand
  7. Sep 18, 2013
    First, let me say that I truly enjoyed this movie. It was fun, fast paced, and overall filled with some fun twists and turns. The characters are interesting, and decently developed (i.e. they won't win character development awards but they are believable in the movie's context).

The film features a low-frequency heavy DTS-MA audio track, with solid explosions, 360º range of bullet fire,
    and generally clear dialogue (a bit low on the volume scale for my tastes but with "night mode" on my receiver, it brought this a bit more in line). The movie was fun and kept me interested, whether as I was ducking under my coffee table with the sound of a bullet flying by or my breathing slowing as the character sneaks.

The video was good, presented in a well saturated 1080P. It was generally a dark movie though filled with some bright moments. For this reason it may be best to watch the movie in a dark room or at night so that the textures in the darkness aren't washed out by sunlight on the TV.

Overall, while enjoyable this movie isn't something I would go back to. The movie was good, and features a Die Hard-esque plot (one man vs. incredible odds) which is predictable once you get a quarter of the way into the movie. The characters are fun and they had my interest, but I never found myself truly "routing" for any characters. I couldn't get behind them fully as I never felt I understood the villains motives. The plot just kind of drops the motive on you and keeps going without any build up or solid explanation.

While the plot had it's weaknesses, it was fun, enjoyable and a fresh action romp that will keep those looking for a fun action movie without too much depth satisfied.
  8. Sep 27, 2013
    What are Gerrard Butler and Morgan Freeman doing in this movie?
    Surely Hollywood can find something better to do with its investment Dollars?
    There are good movies to be made out there!
    Unbelievable tawdry hackneyed plodding but mostly totally unbelievable rubbish

Gerrard takin the moolah ain't always the right career move
  9. Nov 5, 2013
    Gerrard Butler, I salute you! Both Butler and Freeman make this an engaging, fast paced action movie work well. Contrary to many incredibly intelligent reviewers (:D) I'm not of the opinion that every element of a movie should conform to the realms of plausibility If only insurgency operations were executed as well as this! I'd like to agree with a few reviews that strike resemblances to the 80's action movie era, to any movie lovers who say all to often "They just don't make em like they used to".. it's worth a watch, and it's on Netflix! Expand
  10. Nov 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Olympus Has Fallen is a very horribly inaccurate movie that does not really make much sense how 40 north koreans can do that. This movie had an AC-130 flown by North Koreans just fly over Washington D.C. and the Air Force did not intervene until they were almost over the White house. Then the North Koreans had codes to SELF DESTRUCT/DISARM America's nukes not detonate (which is a difference) And had the U.S. pull all the troops out of the DMZ. Expand
  11. Nov 10, 2013
    A thoroughly racist, flag-waving action movie that inculcates the absurd notion of the secret service and capitol hill counter assault forces being overwhelmed by a small band of N. Korean terrorists. Sorry, not possible. Even taken in it's own insular reality and removing the integral political and racial themes, this movie blows hard and mainly borrows and steals it's plot arc and action-sequences from forebears like the Die Hard series. Not that I was able to appreciate anything after the initially stupefying interpretation of how the capitol would be invaded, as numerically superior and well-fortified Secret Service forces are somehow slaughtered piecemeal, tactically outmaneuvered and out-marksmanned by terrorists marching in an easy to target crowd. Not to mention the archaic looking single war-plane able to dodge all gunfire and release an endless supply of smart missile jammers against the 1 anti-aircraft battery in all of Washington, D.C. Oh, and it's gunner somehow has perfect accuracy. So obnoxious, and the sad part is that there are people who could possibly believe this. Expand
  12. Nov 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very good acting, & great movie.
    The only thing I would complain god the visual effects, they should've work more on that aspect but wtvr I liked enough to watched again
  13. Dec 12, 2013
    Well, that movie was a disappointment. The potential was there for a good movie, the relationship with the President was well done, the lead character was believable and the attack on the White House was clever enough to suspend your disbelief. And then it all fell apart terribly.

Why did they not use the son more? That's your tension right there. They seemed to be building it up
    and it was like they just gave up on the stroryline. Don't get me started on the codes nonsense.

And oh the plot-holes. Look it's an action movie, I can forgive bullets that never hit the hero, magic weapons, stuff like that but what's unforgivable are characters that do things and situations that would never, ever happen. They just spoiled the movie completely.

And the violence. Wow. I think the director watched too much Walking Dead. It was completely gratuitous and overly graphic.

Overall the movie had all the right ingredients but were spoiled completely by the terrible plot holes. Not recommended.
  14. Dec 31, 2013
    A ridiculous rah rah American political movie that is a joke from start to finish. The anti terrorist sentiment rules every aspect with the righteousness of running rampant over every scene. Infantile and terribly predictable.
  15. Jan 9, 2014
    Olympus Has Fallen short of a great finale. For the last scene reveals an incredible disrespect of tempo, form, and reality. Where is rhe Medic when you need it? Shouldn't the good all boys of the EMS had arrives to take care of the President rather than the President walking all the huge distance from the steps of the House to the ambulance? Those last ten minutes makea the great movie that it was unsummonarble. There gpes another great movie down the piles of failure in the last secuence. One Star for that horrendous finale. Expand
  16. Apr 20, 2014
    This film borrows heavily from Die Hard, it's about Gerard Butler who acts as an inside man to stopping a terrorist attack. But overall, this movie is well-acted, tense and enjoyable (which is enough for action junkies with little expectation).
  17. Jun 2, 2014
    Typical for Hollywood.. Countless other examples of action hero films that are much better than this one. I would recommend you to miss this film, not worth watching. I don't think there's much to explain about this film. Dull and trite, president in danger, one man army, saves president, happy ever after.. I would recommend you to walk out on this one. Adequate acting, but the main issue with the film is how it was executed and it's cliche plot. This film would have been better if the plot was original. Expand
  18. Sep 29, 2014
    Ambitiously stupid movie. And the sentiment is way past its prime. I don't think anyone, anywhere gives a **** about the "United States" or its whorish capital of Washington DC. I was rooting for the Koreans to be quite honest.

1. Reviewed by: Guy Lodge
    Apr 29, 2013
    The thrills and the effects are cheap, but this is in hard-driving, good-humoured command of its own silliness.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Apr 19, 2013
    Part of the weirdness of this film lies in the fact that the tense North Korean situation in the real world gives it no realism or satirical edge, or prophetic authority of any kind.
    Olympus Has Fallen is a disgusting piece of work, but it certainly hits its marks — it makes you sick with suspense.