6.0

1. Nov 13, 2014
    "On the Road" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

The Good: If it weren't for Garrett Hedlund, this film would have been a disaster. His performance at least keeps you interested. The Bad: Some books just don't translate to film very well ... Kerouac's "On the Road" is one of them. The film seemed to gloss over the more important parts of the book, yet focus on the slower (and more
    "On the Road" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

The Bad: Some books just don't translate to film very well ... Kerouac's "On the Road" is one of them. The film seemed to gloss over the more important parts of the book, yet focus on the slower (and more boring) parts. It is especially rushed during the last thirty minutes. If you've ever read the book, then you will cringe once you see that only 30 minutes remain and there is no way they can fit it all in. Lastly: Kristin Stewart.
  2. Jul 19, 2014
    Some of the cinematography is worthwhile, bits of acting are noteworthy but, in the end, it's a book you can't really make into a film.
    What would be shocking and extraordinary in the late 50's now looks fairly tame and often sad. there is a lack of rhythm to the editing, too many unconnected ideas, big, sprawling and dull.
    If they had tried for something smaller, maybe it might have worked.
  3. Aug 31, 2013
    One of the worst road movies ever made. I saw it when it first came out and I wanted like crazy to leave the cinema earlier. I didn't leave earlier but I cried in the end for my money. If I new that this film is so awful, I would spend my money to Star Trek or The Lone Ranger.
  4. Dec 31, 2012
    Boring. Confusing. Pretentious. Drawn Out. Basically...doo-doo.
  5. Dec 26, 2012
    For a movie that was meant to take us on a wild ride with idols from the spontaneous beat culture, it sure does follow a familiar road map. Always maintaining the same route and never attempting to venture out into an uncharacteristic art form, On the Road proves to be an underwhelming and disappointing road film, on many levels. This is primarily due to the narrow screenplay that sticksFor a movie that was meant to take us on a wild ride with idols from the spontaneous beat culture, it sure does follow a familiar road map. Always maintaining the same route and never attempting to venture out into an uncharacteristic art form, On the Road proves to be an underwhelming and disappointing road film, on many levels. This is primarily due to the narrow screenplay that sticks to that aforementioned, familiar path; and the dull central presence of Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mick LaSalle
    Mar 21, 2013
    The result is a movie that, like the book, is episodic and has dips in energy but has more than its share of glory and illumination.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Notwithstanding the characters’ spiritual camaraderie, Salles’ emphasizes the hard physical labor and loneliness in Sal’s story, including the jittery rigors of the writing process. When he reaches a crossroads choice between down-and-out Dean and his own rising career, Sal senses that except for the words on a typewritten scroll, his life on the road is gone, real gone.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Mar 21, 2013
    Even if Salles' film can't possibly capture the impact of its source, it's intriguing enough to rate a place in the ever-expanding mythology of "the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live."