Once

8.2

1. MeganS.
    Feb 6, 2008
    It was mildly entertaining and definitely had some songs that stuck in my head. However, the dialogue and story line lacked cohesiveness and fluidity, among other things. The ending definitely helped the movie, IMO, but otherwise, I wasn't entirely impressed.
  2. DavidR
    Feb 6, 2008
    Talk about doing the right thing in the end? Going back to a woman who cheated on you and who sounds like she wants to throw up while talking on the phone with you? And going back to an out of shape unattractive guy you don't even care about just because he's from the Czech Republic unlike the younger, more attractive man you've recently fallen in love with? Give me a Talk about doing the right thing in the end? Going back to a woman who cheated on you and who sounds like she wants to throw up while talking on the phone with you? And going back to an out of shape unattractive guy you don't even care about just because he's from the Czech Republic unlike the younger, more attractive man you've recently fallen in love with? Give me a break. Good music but the worst ending since The Godfather Part 3. Expand
  3. DougD.
    Jun 2, 2007
    I'm completely baffled by the fellow reviews on this site. You must consider this movie a musical if you want to take its reviews seriously, because the plot moves at such a snail's pace that it's hard to become engaged at all with this movie. Not until the halfway point do the two lead's finally start to gel a bit (along with the first plot revelation). We are I'm completely baffled by the fellow reviews on this site. You must consider this movie a musical if you want to take its reviews seriously, because the plot moves at such a snail's pace that it's hard to become engaged at all with this movie. Not until the halfway point do the two lead's finally start to gel a bit (along with the first plot revelation). We are supposed to find the Czech immigrant's willingness to drag a vaccum cleaner around Dublin as well as her poor fashion sense as cute and endearing, but it felt forced by Carney in my opinion, like a poor man's Sam from Garden State. I feel that musicians will feel much more positively about this movie than I did, and that it must deliver something to them that it didn't bring to me. If that's the case, then may they enjoy it, because personally I haven't felt this lost at a movie since "My Summer of Love," another highly praised movie that I walked away from wondering what I missed. Expand
  4. RobertW.
    Sep 22, 2007
    There are only two movies this year that I haven't enjoyed to a certain extent. This was one of them. I'm sure it will be nominated and possibly win for Best Original Screenplay, but there was no screenplay. Just songs being played interminably. Still, I would rather have listened to the music than had the silly story that went along with it. This movie is not the reason I go to movies.
  5. RobertK
    Dec 24, 2007
    I honestly don't get it. The movie had its cute moments but overall I was bored to tears. I don't see how this movie was a great romantic wonder. I'm sorry it just didn't register with me at all.
  6. Chase
    May 25, 2007
    The only reason to see this is for the music. Frankly, I've seen better stories in concert films. I went expecting to see a Musical, meaning something where the music is used to tell the story, but that's not really what's going on here. In this movie, the characters are composers and performers and the music is what they do, all out of proportion to telling a story. This The only reason to see this is for the music. Frankly, I've seen better stories in concert films. I went expecting to see a Musical, meaning something where the music is used to tell the story, but that's not really what's going on here. In this movie, the characters are composers and performers and the music is what they do, all out of proportion to telling a story. This is more like watching a CD with brief narrative interludes. Expand
  7. JimSamuelson
    Jun 11, 2007
    The language was unnecessarily crude for such a sweet story. The music was not that great, but the acting and the story made it worth NOT walking out - which was our initial reaction in the first five minutes. We stayed and our score went from an initial 1- up to a 5.
  8. KirstenC
    Sep 15, 2007
    I liked the movie somewhat--did find the story a little forced and the repetitiveness of the music annoying....the male character drove me crazy and couldn't help thinking that if the Eastern European girl ended up with with him, their relationship would always be centered around him, his life, his career, etc...other than the nice gesture at the end, it was all about him.
  9. Roryp
    Dec 19, 2007
    At the end of the day, if you are a fan of Glen Hansard and his music, you will like this film. If, like me, you think his music (especially that solo album) is a lifeless poncy strut down the overly maligned singer songwriter route (maligned here in ireland mainly BECAUSE of glen and his many troops of similarly tortured songs-from-a-room shitehawks who invaded the country a few years At the end of the day, if you are a fan of Glen Hansard and his music, you will like this film. If, like me, you think his music (especially that solo album) is a lifeless poncy strut down the overly maligned singer songwriter route (maligned here in ireland mainly BECAUSE of glen and his many troops of similarly tortured songs-from-a-room shitehawks who invaded the country a few years back) you will not like this film very much. The performances are grand, especially Glen, who has more experience in this area then Irglova. It has the occasional bit of humour and pathos that rings true and it Expand
  10. Taco
    Jun 11, 2007
    A very NICE movie, with some very NICE songs.
  11. JW.
    Jul 17, 2007
    This movie had all the best intentions and deserves credit if only for crafting a heartwarming story on such a small budget with very clever direction. My main problems with it are that it's overly sentimental to a fault and that the music is so very, er, how do I put this... Coldplay. And I don't mean that in a good way.
  12. Apr 13, 2011
    A slight, rather unimpressive story; a sense of puzzlement overcame me every time they sang a song because frankly the songs weren't as great as the viewer was being invited to anticipate.
  13. May 19, 2013
    Takes about half way into the film for the characters to gel but once they do it is a satisfying movie that uses music to give it a heartwarming touch.
  14. Oct 5, 2015
    Once is a film I do not have the heart to downrate because at least the male lead is making an effort. But overall, it comes off as amateur and I am not feeling the vibe of the film. The scenario is like Lost in Translation but there is no chemistry and if there is no chemistry, what does it matter what happens? Still, it is an OK film, short, and not difficult to get through.

A film of limited production values, a low-quality picture and the occasional flubbed camera move. But it makes up for these flaws with sharp observations, compelling characters and a great collection of music.
    This isn't a perfect motion picture but, in the midst of summer's vapid pursuit of spectacle, a movie that provides real heart and emotion is a rare find.
  3. The film has enormous charm and zero pretense.