OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies

6.7

1. Jan 9, 2015
    For a few smart scenes, this movie is unfunny for me. It was been there, done that, plain and simple. I hate the silliness in it, the embarrassing scenes which people are mechanized to laugh at, which is an insult. I don't like it. It isn't a good comedy, dumb and sophomoric. Bad.
  2. AlanB.
    May 13, 2008
    Great French farce of 60's Spy films with brilliantly comedic performance by Jean Dejardin in the title role of French secret agent OSS 117.
  3. JackB.
    May 12, 2008
    I don't give 10s to that many movies, but this one is a just about perfect comedy. Endlessly re-watchable, just as funny the fifth time as the first. Great little subtleties you only notice after watching a few times.
  4. May 11, 2016
    This was a solid debut for Hazanavicius and a very fun film. There's uneven pacing, but I was very pleased with this, which seemed an interesting hybrid between the James Bond and Pink Panther film series. I loved the scoring and cinematography as well. Dujardin's character was a bit strange and the pacing was a tad uneven, but those are small flaws. This is the first of Hazanavicius'This was a solid debut for Hazanavicius and a very fun film. There's uneven pacing, but I was very pleased with this, which seemed an interesting hybrid between the James Bond and Pink Panther film series. I loved the scoring and cinematography as well. Dujardin's character was a bit strange and the pacing was a tad uneven, but those are small flaws. This is the first of Hazanavicius' films I have seen, though I have 'The Artist' on blu. I've heard that in the sequel, he jumps a decade to the 60's--it would be interesting, if they decide to eventually continue the series, if each film could be of following decades, straight through to the present day. It was clever of the writers, through parallelism, to subconsciously suggest a linkage of the Nazis to radical Arab terrorists, so soon after 9/11, and, six years before 'Skyfall', what anyone knowing anything about espionage and counterintelligence would undoubtedly know--that all agents would probably be bisexual. I look forward to checking out Hazanavicius' other films, and hope there are eventually more in this series, for I have loved all kinds of spy films and spoofs of them, in the history of cinema. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Lisa Nesselson
    A spy spoof that -- rarity of rarities -- represents a remake actually worth making. Current comic fave Jean Dujardin plays title character OSS 117 as a kind of James Bond crossed with Maxwell Smart.
    A frequently uproarious send-up of Jean Bruce's long-running series of spy novels.
  3. The real joy here is the performance of Jean Dujardin, who, besides being very funny as the Gallic Maxwell Smart, is also enormously charismatic and is made to look uncannily (and I do mean uncannily) like the young Sean Connery of "Dr. No" and "Goldfinger."