7.5

1. Nov 17, 2014
    This is an awesome movie! It features plenty of action and very good special effects. A must watch if you like Sci-fi movies! It also has quite an interesting plot. This is definitely good to watch even in 2-D as I watched it in 2-D and it still feels good even for a 2-D movie.
  2. Nov 9, 2014
    Pacific Rim explodes with fantastical imagery, epic action sequences and irresistible fun while exposing emotion and balancing its otherwise average plot.
  3. Oct 8, 2014
    Don't have too much to say about this...maybe.

But this is one of my ALL TIME favorite movies. !!! I think I'll take a good look on Guillermo del Toro's other movies ( whatever else he directed or maybe was a writer too ) But this redefines a great CGI monster battle out blockbuster. Pacific Rim is loaded with fantastic visuals that will appeal to many fanboys and for many people who
    just wants a little dose of a monster verus metal clash in our great cities.

I first saw this in a Latino theater in Ecuador located somewhere in South America ( That is where I was born ) and I loved it!!! I then got lucky enough to See it AGAIN ...but this time in 3D! ( Yes, in a latino movie theater, don't worry I understand spanish quite well. )

The experince was again fantastic! Great monster verus giant robots fights! It was breath-taking. Another word I'll use to describe Transformers. (2007)! I have the movie on DVD, Blu-ray and Digital HD! Once I get my Blu-Ray DVD player, I'll shall watch this movie in the Blu ray version! LOVED this epic movie! Watch it please!!! HIGHLY FREAKING RECOMMEND!
  4. Aug 13, 2014
    When i have seen the trailer i was like its gonna be a Micheal bay movie clone. i was so wrong. This is one of the greatest movie i ever saw. I will put this as simple as possible its an attempt to release Japanese Mecha Style of animation series like Evangelion but with real actor. And they manage to do it. The music Are great the ambiance is there the special effect close to perfection the rhythm of the movie is really great no boring part or almost. The Actors/actress Deliver really well. I could listen the movie 3 times in the same week and not get bored. A must see movie. It has is place in my collection with Aliens, Predator any science fiction fan must see this and its way better than transformers 2 and 3. Expand
  5. May 27, 2014
    Just fresh after watching a blu-ray edition of this movie and I have to admit that I'm very pleasantly surprised. I've expected a stupid monsters vs. robots movie but this movie has a bigger meaning underneath it's (oh so!) polished shell. PR is long but you won't feel that for a momens because action/storytelling moments are perfectly intervened to keep you on the edge of your seat. Absolutely worth your money. Expand
  6. May 26, 2014
    This is a must scene for any fan of Kaiju movies and of the action genre. Pacific Rim is a non-stop thrill ride (cliché but so very true!) that gives fans exactly what they want: non stop action. Watching this with friends was some of the most fun I have ever had in a movie theatre. The Giant robots and hulking Kaiju were all beautifully presented and seeing them made me feel like a 10 year old again. The Kaiju fight scenes are aplenty and they are very well done with a wonderful feeling of variety to them. But ultimately this movie is fun, there is a light heartedness about the characters despite being in a fight for their lives that makes you not take the movie too seriously and just enjoy the spectacle of giant battles being waged.

Not perfect, but it comes pretty damn close. Worth seeing in the cinema, worth buying on Blue-ray and worth lining up to see the sequel.
  7. May 25, 2014
    This film completely defied my expectations! What i expected to be a passible action flick ended up being a non stop thrill ride with cooler action than i could have imagined! Do yourself a favor and go watch this one right now!
  8. May 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is one of a kind for me, it surprised me beyond belief. Upon going to see it with my brother, i initially agreed to tagging along just to be nice and was planning on falling asleep. I couldn't have been more wrong. It has been the only film i have ever wanted to watch a second time, immediately after watching it the first time.

Critics and viewers may complain about the hilarious technological change, and how we couldn't possibly build moving robots as big as Jaegers., but who cares? The last thing I'm thinking about is how scientifically accurate the movie is. No it's not possible to build them but I for one have an imagination. There could never be an Island we don't know about with dinosaurs or ginormous gorillas on them, and we don't question them so why question these Jaegers of Kaijus?

The action and special affects we're outstanding and it had a top notch storyline that was original and interesting. I enjoyed the relationship build between all the characters and i found every second of it enjoyable. I would recommend not missing this film to anybody.
  9. Feb 21, 2014
    Wow, just wow. I give a 10 rating once every 5 yrs or so and this rates that big time! This film is Transformers vs Godzillas on steroids, amped up to the max. The intensity is phenomenal, you'll wish the entire film was just mega-sized fight scenes.Yes, you can criticize this and that about the story, plot, etc but you'll be missing the entire point of the film. Enjoy this for what it is, and it's the best at what it does. Expand
  10. Feb 1, 2014
    I'm not gonna go out and say that Pacific Rim was one of the best movies of all time, but it's definitely one of the boldest. Adopting a lot of elements from both anime and the Kaiju and mecha genres, Pacific Rim clearly knows its roots and pays homages to its roots and looks great doing it.
  11. Jan 26, 2014
    Do you like Godzilla movies?
    Do you like Giant Robot movies?
    Would you like to watch them fight it out?

If you answered yes to the three questions above, then this is the movie for you. My inner 8 year old squealed in delight seeing the trailer for the first time. And did so again while watching the movie. Sure the dialog was a bit flat and the character development was lacking.
    But watching the trailer, I knew what I was going to get and I got it in spades. Damn now I want to watch it again. Expand
  12. Jan 18, 2014
    Pacific rim The bigger they are, the harder they brawl As I watched this movie I felt Guillermo del Toro asking me: Wanna have a dose of sweet awesome fun? Grab some popcorn, buy a red flavored Icee, lay back and enjoy this movie brother. And that was all I did. This movie tells the story about people who pilot giant robots that are up to stop the obliteration of our species when giant monsters, straight out of every ones childhood fantasy, burst out of a portal in the Pacific Ocean.
    It may sound cliche, and I can proudly say it is full of cliches and it doesn't shy away from the fact. It knows what it was sent to this good earth for and that is entertain the hell out of us. And it does that oh so good. And looks astonishing while doing so!
    From the plot it is implied you expect some ginormous robot vs big monster battles, and holy crap are they going to blow your skin of. Beautifully filmed for you to see the scale of the situations and for these brawls to look just badass. The Hong Kong battle in particular is going to stand out as a perfect set piece for me.
    And responsible for all of this are the special effects. In my opinion what helps to scale out things is are the water effects. How it cascades off these giants is as realistic as it gets.
    After all this focus on its looks and battles you may be wondering about the human element of the movie. While not perfect the arcs these characters go through with each other are fun to watch. Especially Idris Elba who transmits authority like a boss. Charlie Hunamm while not as good manages to hold as a main character. Rinko Kikuchi, the female lead is the one who should win the "Underrated hot chick of the year" award. And finally we have the two crazy scientists played by Charlie Day and Burn Gorman who while incredibly cliche and hyped up on something unknown tend to be funny and energetic.
    A curious fact in the movie is that it shows the social reaction to these monsters and robots and realistically it isn't always fear but propaganda and adapting to the situation. The second one involves Ron Perlman in it.
    After all this praise there is one stand out sequence that involves Mako's (Rinko Kikuchi's) past that you should really look out for. It changes the tone to a more serious and dark one and is made with excelence.

And of course there has to be a negative or two in this flick and the one negative I can pick is that while the movie builds itself on cliches sometimes these go over the legal limit and strive into predictability and unoriginality.
    But in general this is an amazing achievement in entertainment and special effects that you should really look for if you are having a grey day and want to jack release your worries by watching robots beat the living crap out of some monsters.
    I'm giving this jacked up child dream a 9/10.
  13. Jan 6, 2014
    Badass!! realistic movants on the robots fun dumb fun for anytime of the year. Characters that are relatable yet unreliable, with a speech to rival independents day.
  14. Jan 2, 2014
    There's no way you can't love this movie. Being a fan of Gundam and the original Godzilla movies, seeing those two things together was like my dream becoming true. The plot is amazing with a major focus on the humans, the actors playing the characters are pretty good, but sometimes, they feel a bit generic in personality. The Kaiju x Jaeger scenes are this movie's selling point, and oh boy, it is amazing. The soundtrack is also amazing. I can't wait to see the sequel. 10/10 Expand
  15. Jan 1, 2014
    I enjoyed this film very much. Everything from the acting to the CGI is brilliant and high quality. It's visual desert. Of course, like all these type of godzilla-esque films comes the Japanese themes. The Japanese have always enjoyed designing these types of films. Be it Godzilla, Godzilla vs Mothra, Godzilla vs Gomora, Godzilla vs Baragon and so on, but they lack resources to produce proper visually attractive films. The makers of this film took the idea of robots fighting godzilla monsters and turned it into this beautiful film.

I have no other words to describe this. Just go and watch it.
  16. Dec 30, 2013
    think this is the last time i'll ever listen to bad reviews. this movie is great! and definitely a nice watch on Blu-ray. it had everything i wanted, and took me back in memory of a game with mech warriors from sega. i'll actually be buying this.
  17. Dec 21, 2013
    Comparing Transformers, I Robot, RoboCop (and all the movies of robots) this leaves them as the worst. Guillermo del Toro treats us to a spectacular show of special effects and action-filled moments of tension and adrenaline. The plot is very smart and keeps you tied to the seat. The performances are not like Daniel Day Lewis, Christoph Waltz, Brad Pitt and all of them, but there are good and which emphasize. The outcome and the course are sublime. Here we have another light in the dark moment is going Hollywood with a fresh idea. If not I at least nominated for an Oscar I'll descepiconar and I think I am not alone. Expand
  18. Dec 17, 2013
    When you sit down to watch this movie, don't expect fantastic acting, interesting dialogue or a compelling story. Instead, this film is absolutley perfect at what it aims to do; its a balls out, over the top action spectacle.
  19. Dec 3, 2013
    "Pacific Rim" has perhaps some of the greatest action I have ever seen. The use of 3-D is fantastic, the CGI and visuals were stunning, the acting is brilliant and both the story and script are intelligently crafted. This truly is a intense, epic, visually-stunning spectacle.
  20. Dec 2, 2013
    Perfect plot, best Bluray release ever, with 10+ 3D video and 10+ lossless DTS HD-MA audio track.

You must have this movie if you loved at least one of these movies/characters:
    Godzilla
    Mazinger
    Power Rangers
    Jurassic Park
    Gamera
  21. Nov 29, 2013
    Pacific Rim explodes with fantastical imagery, sillybutt action sequences and irresistable fun while exposing emotion and balancing its otherwise average plot.
  22. Nov 25, 2013
    I loved this flick. Saw it with my daughter, who is in to all things anime, and she also loved it.

Saw it in an IMAX theater and that lead to my biggest complaint: all the rain in 3D made it hard to focus on the action once in a while. But since that is my biggest complaint, that should tell you what I think of the rest of the movie.

Loved the Jaegers and Kaijus. Gipsy Danger
    rocks!

The fact that this is (gasp!) and ORIGINAL universe gave Guillermo del Toro freedom to create as he wished, without the fear that the die hard fans would hate what he did. And create he did. If you get a chance watch the extras in the Blu-ray. I think you'll be surprised at how many small details are in the movie.

Idris Elba is one of my favorite up-and-coming actors. His work in The Wire was incredible, and it is good that Hollywood is giving him an opportunity. Charlie Hunnam was more than serviceable as the action hero and while I am not a fan of Rinko Kikuchi, she also played her role well.

I will not lie and say that there is anything extraordinarily NEW here. It is a story of humans v. monsters. But this minor film does BIG better than a lot of predecessors recently. The Transformers trilogy comes to mind immediately.

While it seems like a backhanded compliment, you need to enjoy this movie for what it is. It is nothing more than a rollercoaster ride and, as such, does the job VERY well.
  23. Nov 24, 2013
    Pacific Rim the best summer movie ever made. It even fits the definition of a exploding summer blockbuster film which knows what it's doing. Pacific Rim also knows how to be one by not getting you bored while these titans fight in our cities. One side is made out of metal and the other is completely organic. Giant 250ft tall mechanical beings fighting equally 250 or 300 feet monsters is just something that has never been done before in a long time and it's all thanks to Guillermo Del Toro for pulling the drawings of giant robots and monsters out of my head, and finally putting them into a movie! This is the only movie by far, which has action on a scale that is physically unimaginable. And what's so great about this movie as well, is not only the action, there's a really great sense of humanity in this movie. That we haven't got in a long time too. Great characters and each shows a great purpose in their roles. Charlie Hunnam, I will agree his accent is a little wonky at times. But that's not enough to bring down on how big his charisma is in the movie. A really badass likable character. Though what I wished was more character development between him and his lost brother. It's sad, we didn't get that. But still, Charlie makes the heck out of the movie. Idris Elba, the actor known for playing Heimdall in Thor, is an amazing actor. That focus, and moral center of the movie, is what defines Idris' character. Rinko Kikuchi, an actress who has less knowledge of an eye candy, yet to nail her role in playing the role of an isolated beautiful object in this movie and has really a great backstory. But she's just as good as Charlie's character, who has a badass backstory but it's a little one-dimensional. Charlie Day, from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, is hilarious in this movie. Every scene he's in is appropriate for the comedic relieves and he's the scientist who's always hyperactive on drugs, especially the Hong Kong scenes where he's in. Great! Ron Perlman, known for making his cameo longer than any cameos I've seen, does a great job as a leader of a black market Kaiju dealer. Really great. Guillermo specifically said he wanted something that looked weirder or stranger than the giant monsters, so we got this. Something to be taken with the opposite of serious. And the rest of the cast did a fine job at bringing the movie with the sense of actual continuity. Pacific Rim definitely deserves a sequel as there's so much more of it's story that we needed. And the sequel should also tell more of the prologue which is quite short in this movie, unfortunately. Not giving audiences more information and therefore having others to felt like this movie had some part of the plot that didn't make sense. But I wasn't one of them. I know everything there is to know about Pacific Rim. Now I've said this and I will say it again, Pacific Rim is not just everything about explosions and spectacle and metal and monsters fighting, it has really great human elements in this movie. Unlike the Transformers which has some really inappropriate moments that just tore the film down and it's annoying. The action in there was really subtle, meaning it's bad and it's really hard to understand which transformer is fighting which transformer. Michael Bay and Dreamworks, you got some mess to do. Okay! So overall, Pacific Rim is an awesome great action summer blockbuster movie that deserves to receive all your money and it's really worth most of our time. Really dates back to the mecha and kaiju sub-genres in the past and now it's been revived. Thank you Guillermo Del Toro and the rest of his crew for making this entire movie possible. Thank you. Can't wait for it's sequel which is in storywriting process now! XD Expand
  24. Nov 16, 2013
    All of my childhood fantisies all rolled into one 2 hour movie. Thank you for getting it right Guillermo Del Toro. Took me back to the good old days. It isn't perfect but come on, GIANT ROBOTS fighting GIANT MONSTERS! If you like that sort of thing, this is the movie for you.
  25. Nov 14, 2013
    A movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters. It's fun to watch (especially in IMAX 3D) and definitely not the Evangelion rip-off a lot of ignorant people might make it out to be.
  26. Oct 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pacific Rim is a great movie, the battle scenes between Jaegers and Kaijus are fantastic. The only thing I don't like is that they only used 5 jaegers in the battle scenes (the fifth is the Coyote Tango). It would have been better if they added more jaegers but who cares? It's a great movie for kids.

Once again, the film is great. I just hope that they add more jaegers (or if possible: battles during days rather than night with very hard rains because, for me, everything seemed hard to see when they fight at night.) so it's more enjoyable.

Other than that, it's a very enjoyable movie for young audiences, good job Guillermo Del Toro for making a fantastic movie!
  27. Oct 28, 2013
    les robot sont trop cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! et puis les combat aussi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! la fin est cool tout est cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  28. Oct 27, 2013
    big robots vs giant monstrous aliens means a amazing action packed movie that is a great tribute to monster movies but also a great original worlds and story great job Del Toro great job
  29. Oct 27, 2013
    Pacific Rim was surprisingly one of the best movies I've seen this year. I expected an entertaining action movie with mechs fighting monsters, but a movie void of any quality acting or plot. Boy was I wrong. While it was a very entertaining action movie with mechs fighting monsters, it had a very interesting storyline with solid plot development, granted a little brief. The acting was also up to par and the character development was fantastic, giving life and depth to characters that seem at first to be a bit superficial. There were also some nice cameos by actors like Charlie Day and Ron Perlman, who though I don't like, had a cool role. Overall, this movie takes a substantial amount of suspended disbelief but I think most people who like cool action movies will really enjoy it. Expand
  30. Oct 22, 2013
    It was action packed robot flick! Future Perfect for any Robot movie like never before. Pacific Rim still the best summer movie of all time since The Avengers. Very Flawless!
  31. Oct 17, 2013
    Forget anyone who whines about the film, it's fantastic. I've seen a lot of films like this and am rarely impressed. For sheer spectacle it's creative and incredible. Characters aren't all your typical American hero (although they do feature, which in this sort of gung-ho action film is entirely acceptable) they come from an array of backgrounds and provide their own basic motives, fleshing them out a little. They really try everything to create a believable atmosphere in a completely bizarre and unrealistic complex and surprisingly succeed. When reading negative reviews it's obvious that these people went into this film with far too high minded an attitude, lost in their own belief that an action epic such as this isn't good because it doesn't hold a bigger message for them I'll give them the bigger message get over yourself, stop watching so many films and enjoy them for what they are. Seriously, the cover has a giant, man-shaped robot on the front, what did you expect? Expand
  32. Oct 17, 2013
    awesome movie it was action after action i watched it first day out and i loved it its defiantly worth watching again i would recommend this movie to everyone because the story line gets you thinking
    i waited a long time to watch this movie and i wasn't disappointed
  33. Oct 5, 2013
    I didn't expect to like this movie as much as I did. Wow, was it ever a satisfying monster/giant robot movie that was visually pleasing in an anime style. It has a relatively straight forward story, but it doesn't need to be complicated. It was well acted, had substance, and I was thoroughly entertained throughout. This is what awful robot movies like Transformers or Robot Jox should have been like, and it was better than monster movies like Cloverfield. Expand
  34. Oct 1, 2013
    yes. just yes. in every way yes. this is every fan of action,sci fi and just pure awesomeness.the acting is pretty good its the action and back story that is the meat and bones of, what will hopefully spawn a long standing franchise.
  35. Sep 20, 2013
    Maybe the trama sounds similar like Evangelion, Godzilla, & Transformers, but Pacific Rim has something different, and is the cool part of the movie, the visual effects are A M A Z I N G, the story has a fantastic development, the 3D is great, and the performances are great. Pacific Rim is one of the most espectacular movies of this year.
  36. Sep 12, 2013
    Very, very nice! The best movie ever! I love Raleigh Becket.. he's so hot. I love that scene where he was shirtless.. Nice movie! MUST SEE. It's really worth watching. Very underrated.
  37. Sep 8, 2013
    I loved Pacific Rim. I can't say the amount of awesomeness this movie had/has, and it was BAD-ASS in the theatre. It probably won't be so epic when watched by your own little TV, but it's still epic. The fighting scenes were beautiful and very well done, the effects were super-cool and oh-my-god. THE MUSIC. Main theme is one of my favorite movie songs of all time. I totally recommend this to ANYONE who loves epic effects, awesome action scenes and kaijus! Expand
  38. Sep 2, 2013
    I love the action, scenes, CGI, and special effects. I at first though that this movie was going to be dumb, but it was very good. Sure, its not the most original movie or idea ever and some parts may be cheesy, but its overall an excellent film. The Jaegars (the robots) and the Kaiju (alien monsters) are a visual treat. They look beautiful. My one complaint was that Raleigh and Mako's relationship was slightly rushed. I would have liked to see them interact a bit more. I hope there will be a sequel. THANK YOU GUILLERMO DEL TORO!

If you liked this review, read my other ones and mark this review as helpful.
  39. Aug 29, 2013
    Best movie of the summer, possibly the year. The gaphics in this movie are amazing. And the story line is great. And the battles very well done, they couldn't have been done better. They really are intense though. But I think this movie was very well balanced with the battle and the story. And it isn't like man of steel were their is a lot of crazy action for no reason. The action is backed up by the storyline very nicely. And I thought the casting was very good too. Quite a bit of people don't agree. But I loved all the characters. And I loved the storyline, And it was great acting to. Anyways. I would recommend seeing this movie HIGHLY while it is still in theaters. seeing it on the big screen is the best way to go. Expand
  40. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The film Pacific Rim begins with some background information. We are informed that deep beneath the Pacific Ocean a rift through time and space opened up and gigantic creatures named Kaiju began to emerge from the ocean's depths. The Kaiju begin began to attack populated areas and from the start it appears that mankind does not stand a chance against these terrible creatures. In response the countries of the world pool their resources and create giant mechanical robots to fight against the Kaiju. These robots known as Jaegers are controlled by two pilots who fuse their neural centrals so that they can share the mental load that is needed to control the Jaegers. But as the war continues on for over ten years, the Jaegers begin to lose and the Kaiju are only becoming stronger. Former pilot Raleigh Becket (Charlie Hunnam) is called back into the Jaeger program for a last attempt to take out the Kaiju by the four remaining Jaegers. And if they fail their objective, it will mean the end of human race. But there is much about the Kaiju that humans still do not know.
    The film is helmed by Mexican director Guillermo Del Toro, known for directing Pan's Labyrinth (2006) and the Hellboy series. In Pacific Rim he shows all the talent he has in the past. The film can appeal to a wide audience and yet at its heart is very simple. Pacific Rim at its core is a love letter to japanese monster movies. Visually it is amazing, the special effects are pulled off quite well and you can really feel the size and weight of the Jaegers and the Kaiju. Del Toro also tosses in details that really flesh out the environment, such as acknowledgment of a group who are considered "Kaiju Groupies". By adding little details like that it makes the film's world all the more real.
    The screenplay (written by Del Toro and Travis Beacham) is well done and the characters are all very diverse and memorable. The best performance is done by Idris Elba as the leader of the Jaeger program. Going into the film I expected his performance not to be very notable but he broke the stereotype of a standard army commander and generally surprised me with his talent. Another great character is a pilot portrayed by Rinko Kikuchi, who gives a very heartfelt performance as a pilot with a tragic backstory that really brings to life the war between the humans and the Kaiju. Its just another detail that increases how immersive an environment Del Toro creates with this film. Not far into the movie I generally believed in the film's universe that included characters who acted like real people as well as machines and monsters beyond our wildest imaginations.
    But like every film Pacific Rim is not perfect and it contains flaws. Such is with an aforementioned "Kaiju Groupie" portrayed by Charlie Day. His character struck a really annoying nerve with me and I didn't enjoy the moments when he was on screen. But even with that said, his character is still realistic, its just not a person I'd like to meet in real life. The only other notable flaw I can mention is that soundtrack was fine and all but was rather repetitive. But despite its flaws I believe Del Toro once again created an incredibly immersive, action heavy, summer blockbuster that is not likely to be forgotten in the coming years.
  41. Aug 27, 2013
    De lo mejor de todo el 2013, es grande, fantástico, un gran boom, tan grande como los mismos Kaijus. La experiencia de Del Toro para crear personas de fantasía es innegable. No se necesita de explosiones ni exageraciones para sostener la película, con mucha trama te lleva de la emoción al asombro.
  42. Aug 24, 2013
    It was something different, watching Pacific Rim in the theatre. I realised how predictable it was, but I didn't have a problem with that at all. It was nice, seeing a movie that tried to set itself apart from the others, with the classic Giant Monsters Invading plot. But the downside to this, is a noticable lack of development of the characters and the story in general. It basicall came down to this: "Giants invading, kill 'em." But I still liked the movie. The CGI was great and the music was simply epic. It promised action, it promised giant robots fighting giant monsters, and we got all that. And really, isn't that what these kinds of movies are all about; the action? 9/10! Expand
  43. Aug 24, 2013
    Pacific Rim delivers on what it advertises. You've got giant robots and monsters, beating the utter crap out of each other. What else could you really ask for from this film? The action and the detailing is great and the overall story is solid. The only problems I had were with some off CGI here and there as well as some scenes that really didn't belong. Otherwise, this surely is a must see for fans of the genre. If you love anime, giant monsters, mechs and action, Pacific Rim is the film for you! Expand
  44. Aug 20, 2013
    excellent and plenty of action to keep you looking at the screen and not at your ice cream the fighting and battles were to my taste and the robots though a bit far fetched played their part in making this film worth watching
  45. Xon
    Aug 16, 2013
    Absolutely amazing. Delivers what it promised. Perhaps there isn't such a big audience for this kind of movie to validade the budget, but the film-makers squeezed every bit of brilliance out of everything and everyone that went into this film. You have to be really cynical not to like this film. For me its like a modern fairy tale.
  46. Aug 13, 2013
    Pacific Rim was fairly good movie yes there was some silly parts and annoying bits but over all it was an action packed movie with a few good laughs i would recommend it
  47. Aug 13, 2013
    If you like SCI FI, if you like anime, if you're into action movies, this is the BEST MOVIE EVER, it sure was for me, no regrets in watching it, kept me on the edge of the seat the whole time, i'm planning on seeing it a couple more time on theaters while i still can.
  48. Aug 13, 2013
    This movie is ridiculously fun. The IMAX 3D version was also another bonus, because you really get to feel the enormity of the monsters and robots in the film. I

Bottom line: Don't go into this movie trying to criticize all the flaws of this movie...do this and you will not have fun. Instead, just go with the flow and immerse yourself into the story. It's some of the best action I've
    seen in a while and what's even better is that this is AN ORIGINAL STORY. How long has it been since we've had creative work produced? Support this movie, because it's success will encourage other studios to green-light more creative works as well. Expand
  49. Aug 9, 2013
    An epic movie!This movie is basically better than transformers or any other robot movies out there.The story might not be good but the action is thrilling and very exciting.I am telling you guys to go out there and watch this movie.It will be great.
  50. Aug 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great movie that differs from everything else released this summer. The 3D effects in it are very well executed, and not the typical cliche "Poking-Hand-Out-Of-Screen-For-The-Sake-Of-3D" thing you see in typical 3D movies. It actually makes you feel like you're IN the world with how it's executed.

I would heavily recommend watching this if you like big robots and monsters fighting, even though it's story is a little dry outside of the fighting in my personal opinion.
  51. Aug 5, 2013
    Absolutely loved this movie. Excellent special effects, amazing action, and true fun all throughout. Only issue was the plot was a bit pointless but it personally didn't bother me because who honestly goes to a movie like Pacific Rim and expects and Academy award winning story? Pacific Rim was just plain awesome. Giant monsters vs giant robots, what more can you ask for? Ever wanna see a barge (really large boat) be used as a weapon? GO SEE Pacific Rim! You're guaranteed a great time. Let's hope the studio's give the green light for the sequel Del Toro already has in mind! 9.5/10 Expand
  52. Aug 3, 2013
    Neon Genesis Evangelion IRL. Thats what you need to know.
    No, srsly it was very well written and delivered a compeling story from start to finish. The Score was fantastic, as the main theme developed over the course of the film, like in many other epic oriented movies.
    I disliked the WAY to cheese character of the black market leader. It almost ruined the realistic feeling of the movie.

Besides that, I recommend it to anyone looking for a good scifi/action movie, and definetly to mecha fans. (altough I am not)
    The Film deserves a 8.5 in my Eyes, but the really bad, baseless reviews, are just improper and the film does not deserve this.
  53. Aug 2, 2013
    Very creative, original plot with its share of surprises. The visuals and sounds are great, the acting is great. Everything is great. Hopefully, there's a sequel. Or at least a film in the same universe.
  54. Aug 1, 2013
    If this movie were a person.. It'd be the most interesting man and chuck norris fused into one great bunch.. It's worth seeing once just for the ride.. a second time for the special effects.. and a third time to show off to your friends.. Best movie of the summer for me besides the Hobbit.. Both are truly.. a Great Journey.
  55. Aug 1, 2013
    Such a smart and spectacular movie. It gets you from the beginning to the end. It is everything you expected from a robots vs. monsters movie. It has also quite good 3D effects.
  56. Aug 1, 2013
    Pacific rim is amazing. The best movie of the year so far and if you can watch it then go see it. it has Great action is well filmed and has visually stunning fights which feel like big robots vs big monsters should. the story is surprisingly amazing as well so with the great fights great story and it being truly coherent it makes a near perfect movie.like all of the cast are good from are male and female protagonist to the scientists and the story keeps you intrigued through the entire thing Expand
  57. Aug 1, 2013
    In times when cities collapse due to heroes, robots, villains, aliens or mythical creatures mostly soulless white noises of explosions and clunky strapped on stories to imply deepness of characters we needed a movie that combines the heart of 80s classics such as Top Gun, the trash factor of 70s monster movies and the scale of actual blockbuster cinema. And whoop, there it is!

McGuffins, no "awww I can't handle the responsibility of being a hero", no dark deep metaphorical jibber jabber. Two heroes who have to manage their problems due to the storie's basic thesis: To kick some aline butt and close the rim, you have to work as a unit.

The result is a stereotype heavy movie with meaningfull fistfight and visible effects on the world around the main story. Go watch it, if somewhere inside of you still exists a big child that loves giant robots and city crushing monsters.
  58. ERB
    Jul 31, 2013
    Obviously better than transformers.
  59. Jul 30, 2013
    This year I haven't seen such a movie with so spectacular visual effects on an epic scale like "Pacific Rim". Director Guillermo del Toro has a wonderful imagination and he still knows how to amaze us. The battles between the Jaegers and Kaiju monsters are spectacular. An excellent complement to this movie is the score composed by Ramin Djawadi. "Pacific Rim" is definitely the best summer blockbuster movie of the 2013! I wouldn't be surprised if it got Academy Awards in technical categories (Best Visual Effects, Best Sound, Best Sound Editing). Expand
  60. Jul 29, 2013
    It's important to note that while I very much enjoyed Pacific Rim, I was coming in from a biased perspective of enjoying shows such as Gundam Wing and old Godzilla films from quite a young age. As long as you come in knowing what to expect from this kind of film, it's really very good. CGI was great and the fight scene choreography was fantastic, although some of the camera-work was awkward and it was hard to tell what was going on in combat sometimes. There could've been more variation in setting as well.

I found the designs of the jaegers (mechs) and kaiju (monsters) interesting and successful, creating a very specific appearance and silhouette for each individual combatant on the battlefield, which helped give each one a sense of identity in often difficult viewing conditions.

The plot and characters certainly aren't going to win too many awards but most of the acting was fairly sound, and I particularly enjoyed Idris Elba's performance in this film; although his character was nothing terribly original, it was well-delivered. Also, although I initially found them somewhat contrived and grating, on second viewing the scientist characters (Charlie Day and Burn Gorman) did provide something of a welcome break from all the action and grimness of the film and added something of an extra dimension to the film on top of all the fighting.

I thought they could've done more with Charlie Hunnam and Rinko Kikuchi's character interaction, but you shouldn't come into this film expecting massive character development. You should come in for an all-action summer blockbuster and in this regard Pacific Rim mostly delivers. It also cleverly ties up most of its loose ends while still leaving some possibility of a sequel. Remarkably few plot-holes too, though there were a couple here and there all in all pretty tight writing and production, and you could tell this was a Guillermo del Toro passion-project.

To sum up: best action film I've seen for some time, and the first one in a while that's made me leave with a real sense of 'awesome'. I could probably watch this film half a dozen times and not get bored of it, and that speaks volumes.
  61. Jul 29, 2013
    This isn't Shakespeare by any means. It is, however, the most entertaining movie I've seen in a long time. If you enjoy movies that are kinda dumb yet super awesome (Terminator, Predator, Alien, etc), you will like this movie.
  62. Jul 28, 2013
    For an action movie, this is perfect. That's the reason for a score of 10. Awesome effects, cliche but enjoyable characters and lines, predictable plot. Still an absolute pleasure to watch. From an mech-anime fan, it's like a dream come true, particularly if your a fan of the Evangelion franchise.
  63. Jul 27, 2013
    If you didn't like this movie, then you just plain hate fun. Sure, the plot may be a little underdeveloped. Sure, the characters may almost be stock. But when you go to see a movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters and you don't like the giant robots or giant monsters part, or hell, even the FIGHTING part, then why did you even see it? You're better off watching The Notebook or something, and you are not the kind of person I would want to be associated with. Expand
  64. Jul 26, 2013
    Saw it in 2D and 3D, fun movie. That simple. If you wanted the next Shawshank Redemption (or other oscar-contender quality film) and you went to see this you don't have a functional brain. If you bothered to watch the trailers, you knew what to expect. Cheesy, scifi, fun.

9/10 I've see better, but not by much when it comes to Giant robots.
  65. Jul 26, 2013
    Absolutely one of my favorite movies of the summer. Probably the best big-budget robot-vs-godzilla (c'mon..you know that's what this is) movie that will ever be made. Every twist and device in the movie is a complete rip-off of something else, but it's so damned FUN that you can't help to like it...unless you are allergic to good times. As someone who enjoyed a little (ok...a lot of) Voltron back in the day, the "sword" scene almost had me jumping out of my seat. If you like robots and giant monsters, you love this movie. If not, I am sure there is some Scandinavian neo-realist retrospective playing somewhere. Expand
  66. Jul 26, 2013
    just awesome. its been a very long time i`ve not seen a movie that i would want to see twice. JUST INCREDIBLY AWESOME,,,,RECOMMEND IT TO EVERYONE!!!!~
  67. Jul 25, 2013
    as someone who grew up with Transformers and was heavily disappointed with Michael Bay's movies, and I also grew up with Godzilla, well this movie was just made for me and people of similar generations.
    Surprising that in the US they didn't like it, guess Mechs and Kaijus weren't as big in there back in the 80/90s.

Although, yes, the movie has obvious cliches and one scene that simply
    showed the hand going through the building that wasn't cool nor funny, but when you grow up to that kind of things, seeing a tribute to your childhood heroes is always fun Expand
  68. Jul 24, 2013
    If you like movies, that is to say if you actually enjoy watching movies for what they are instead of pretend that all movies are supposed to provide you with some greater understanding of time/space/people/food/whatever then this movie really should not disappoint you. Personally, I love movies, I love to watch them, think about them, rewatch them, etc, but I know how to watch a given movie and take it for what it is. If you saw Del Toro's name attached to this and assumed it would be some sort of Pan's Labyrinth type movie then you clearly did not pay attention, if you assumed anything other than what the trailer told you then you were clearly not paying attention.

Giant robots fighting giant monsters.....That's it, nothing more needs to be said. It is not a character driven, make you think about life and the existence of yourself within the universe type movie. It is just great fun to watch. Anybody who has watched enough movies knows how this will play out but that still does not detract from actually watching it play out.

Anybody who has watched old Godzilla movies or even played King of the Monsters at some point in their life will appreciate this movie. Anybody who understands watching movies for sheer entertainment value will also likely appreciate this as it is visually pleasing, has many interesting ideas, and is pretty much an awesome homage to entire monster movie genre from a director who knows his way around a movie.
  69. Jul 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pacific Rim is a 2013 science fiction film directed by Guillermo del Toro with Charlie Hunnam, Rinko Kikuchi and Rob Perlman.
    In a future world the earth was attacked by the giant alien monsters called Kaiju, emerged on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean through an interdimensional portal. Because, to destroy one of those monsters many lives are sacrificed, it was decided to build giant robots called Jaegers controlled by two pilots. Initially, the robots are able to get the better of the monsters, but the latter seem to adapt to new weapons and that pushes humanity to the brink of disaster. The last remaining Jaegers are taken in Hong Kong and the former pilot Jaeger, Raleigh Becket (Charlie Hunnam) is persuaded to return to the team he left after losing his brother, also a pilot, clashing against a Kaiju. Here begins the last attack to save humanity.
    Although it seems not to follow the rules of the director, Pacific Rim is a product of Del Toro and we can see it in the prologue, which serves to immerggerci in the world we are told the story and also in the memories of Mako (Rinko Kikuchi) a lot well done.
    The film is inspired by the anime of the 70s and also to those of today (especially Neo Genesis Evangelion).
    The plot is not very original but it is by no means trivial or obvious. The photography of the film is well done as well as special effects (featuring beautiful as are the Kaiju and Jaegers).
    The fight scenes between the giants are well made and it is clear that they were made in anime style (such as special moves of Jaegers).
    The film also manages to entertain with humor and never forced anything vulgar or exaggerated.
    It will not be a masterpiece but Guillermo was able to create a great film
  70. Jul 22, 2013
    This is, by far, one of the best movies of 2013. The fight scenes are epic and the story is well written. There's a lot to like from this movie if you enjoy giant robot action films.
  71. Jul 21, 2013
    This movie just blew my expectations, Pacific Rim was damn good. The story was fine, because it doesn't have to be groundbreaking, the movie has action sequences to back it up. The fights were exciting and jaw dropping, because you can actually understand what the machines and monsters are doing, the kaiju could really bring up a fight. The acting was good, it wasn't bad and the main actor, he did a decent job. Their was also a chemistry between the two main pilots and I'm glad that their were scenes of development, for their relationship. For me Pacific Rim has the same rating with Star Trek Into Darkness, because the of these movies were so good and I'm going to give Pacific Rim a 10/10. Expand
  72. Jul 20, 2013
    Another movie where world comes to the brink of total destruction, but unlike other flicks, this one really makes you feel the threat. Plus terrific background score, screenplay and special effects coupled with a sound story line (no unwanted stuff), this movie is bound to be a major success. Hope there is a sequel coming soon.
  73. Jul 20, 2013
    This is easily one of the best movies I've ever seen. It's everything an action movie should be and then some. Anyone coming to the theater looking for badass fights between giant robots and giant monsters will be utterly satisfied by some of the best fight scenes I have ever seen in all of cinema, as it keeps throwing new things at you and every single one goes over extremely well. The special effects and visual design are simply masterful; the Jaegers look exactly how a giant robotic mech suit should, their interfaces look suitably futuristic and cool, while on the other end the Kaiju look suitably otherworldly, but with enough grounding to not look out of place in our world. On the story end of things, you have a surprisingly intricate tale of multiple characters who each have personal struggles relating to the Kaiju invasion and subsequent advent of Jaegers, as well as even minor characters generally being at worst interesting and entertaining and at best well-developed and multidimensional. It's also simply astounding just how well this movie built its world, with every environment feeling exactly how it should and fitting into the rest of the setting very impressively. Certain flashback scenes which I won't spoil were simply a joy to watch, masterful displays of cinematography at its absolute best, and the rest of the movie isn't far behind them. I honestly can't think of any legitimate complaints about this movie, beyond petty gripes not worth mentioning. It's simply worth watching, no matter who you are. Expand
  74. Jul 20, 2013
    Great fun, amazing designs. The Jaegers especially were pure joy to watch. There's no lulling dip dragging out mankind's first contact, or over the top drama, just monsters versus robots. Absolutely brilliant.
  75. Jul 20, 2013
    This is a dream come true for everyone who grew up watching the classic Kaiju Mecha genre. Predictable but wonderfully executed by Del Toro. The characters, action, story all scream of nostalgia.
  76. Jul 20, 2013
    I loved this movie! Lets be real though this movie was not made for its plot its robots fighting giant monsters!!! I was a big time manchild while watching this movie and I loved every second of its action scenes... The story line is definitely passable, despite some plot holes and spelling mistakes! Charlie Day is his usual hilarious self and despite my hatred of Ron Pearlman I was happy with his part in the movie...

If you need a reason to see this movie look no further then its GIANT ROBOTS FIGHTING GIANT MONSTERS! COOL!
  77. Jul 20, 2013
    "Do you want to sit here or go out there and do something really stupid" Pacific Rim is a gigantic monster brawl. But not like Godzilla versus Mechagodzilla. It has awesome special effects, great acting and a amazing story. Something that you would usually get in a movie like Argo or Lincoln. But this movie delivers all that. Don't be turned off by the genre and even though it's in third place in the box office it is easily better than Grown ups 2 in critical reception and it may be better than Despicable Me 2 for older kids. So really it should be number 1. Also if you think it may be scary for little kids that's not true. There only gore that comes from the monster and one or two curses. Maybe not for 4-8 years olds but anyone older will probably be alright. So anyway this films boasts amazing visuals, great acting and a great story. I wouldn't be surprised if it won an Oscar for best visuals. This is a definite must see. Expand
  78. Jul 19, 2013
    I absolutely loved this movie. Many, unfortunately, will absolutely hate it. Those who love it will compare it to Star Wars, those who hated it will tell you it's nothing but boring monster punching robot kicking monster. The truth, I think, has elements of both. The elements of Star Wars that make fans love it are, by and large, laid on thick. What it's missing are well-done soapy elements that help Star Wars (and Battlestar Gallactica, etc...) more palatable to people who don't flat out love them. That's clearly hurting Pacific Rim at the box office, and should have been foreseen and remedied by a director with a deft hand. Expand
  79. Jul 19, 2013
    I thought, that "Pacific Rim" was a thoroughly, enjoyable, action-packed movie that got me gripping the seat and biting my nails. I don't get how people can stand to give it a low rating. The plot may have been lost a few times, but the intense action and graphics make up for everything. No famous celebs? Pssh. They're introducing brilliant new people, for God's sake, don't judge too much. This is a quality movie, guys. They've spent millions on making it, and they deserve the millions back. This is what summertime in the cinemas should be consisting of. Critics, if you can find a movie in this genre that beats it, (in graphics, plot, and mind-blowing action), give me a call. I loved it. Expand
  80. Jul 19, 2013
    FUN!!! Yes, it's about giant robots battling giant monsters. And somehow a couple of scenes made me tear up. (I'm a father and the father-daughter scenes worked on me.) I'll be buying this one.
  81. Jul 19, 2013
    A very entertaining movie, good special effects, good performances, but the soundtrack did not taste much, and I think they missed action scenes with daylight.
  82. Jul 19, 2013
    Incredible! Just one of the many words to describe this film overall. The emotional depth of the characters was deep and sincere, creating attachment to each unique individual as the story progressed with a captivating intensity rarely attained in movies of this epic caliber. The visual effects were beyond breathtaking with some of the most monumental battle scenes in movie history. In the end, this is without a doubt, a great achievement in cinema, and has a heart and hardcore attitude that'll please any moviegoer and have them cheering in elation. Expand
  83. Jul 19, 2013
    Pacific Rim is what action based movies should be. It delivers it's plot early on and gives you an idea of how grim the situation is, but it fortunately doesn't linger on the base exposition long enough to bore you to tears. The action scenes are exceptionally well made and really reflect the realism (what realism there can be with giant robots fighting monsters) of how a battle like this would happen. All the actors play their characters fantastically, helping to really deliver the experience, such as Raleigh Becket's washed up pilot character type. Overall the soundtrack had me shivering in my seat with excitement as the first track accompanied the pilots suiting up to pilot their Jaeger, and it kept me intensified during each Kaiju battle that came on screen. While the overall plot did have many cliches in it, they were delivered in the proper way as to improve the story. I highly recommend that anyone see this movie at least once, as I've already seen it twice in IMAX. Expand
  84. Jul 18, 2013
    What can be said? There are plenty of audience pointed blockbusters. Good ones, bad ones. Popcorn flips, But only in unique cases there are MASTERPIECEs. Like Avengers, Tron, Star Trek. As well there are some breakthrough ideas occur in every summer. Like Inception, Dark Knight, Ted or something like that. Anyway.
    PACIFIC RIM is all of it combined and multiplied at least five times. One
    of the greates and most underestimated director of our time Guillermo Del Toro has done one of the most incredible sci-fi movies in late 100 years. It is not Space Odyssey by Kubrick, Not a War of Worlds by Spielberg, or Nolan's Inception and anything else. It is an alien invasion on high profile. It is a hidden dangerous, comes from the abyss of our world. It is science, why two pilots? You will know and will be shocked. Why Kaiju? Keep calm and just watch.
    Does it cost 2 hours? Yes it does. It has everything from humor to drama, from love to honor. Visually Spectacular. Joyfully directed, perfectly performed characters by Idris Elba, Charlie Hunnam and ROn Pearlman. So Amazing storyline and visual show. great score. You will not have an opportunity to get some popcorn, cause you will not be able to taker your eyes away from it.
  85. Jul 18, 2013
    I felt like I was watching a modern version of a classic Toho film. It took me back, like when the food critic bites into the ratatouille in the movie Ratatouille.
  86. Jul 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Esta pelicula, es diferente a las muchas peliculas de robots, pasando por Real steal. Esta pelicula con tintes apocalípticos, retrata una invasión alien de esta forma un tanto diferente a lo que se había visto, a pesar de tener similitud a Evangelion; El director Guillermo del Toro ha dicho que el solo hizo una pelicula de monstruos y que retrata lo que viene haciendo en sus ultimas películas.
    Esta pelicula esta mas que recomendada.
  87. Jul 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I appreciated the fact that "Pacific Rim" wasn't overly hyped like a lot of films usually are. I guess that's probably Guillermo del Toro's MO when it comes to films.

That being said, I loved it. The fights were epic, with each Kaiju requiring a different tactic to defeat and the introductory timeline showing the dwindling numbers of Jaegers still active set a tone of desperation for humanity. That leads back to the film's battle sequences, where you don't know if a Jaeger (and its pilots) will survive the fight or not. Sudden twists with the Kaiju elicited a "what??" response from me on more than one occasion. An engaging story together with intense battles made the movie one of the best films I've seen this summer.
  88. Jul 17, 2013
    This is the best movie of the summer! Plain and simple fun. good old fashion Rock um Sock um action movie. I will go see it again. If you want to have fun watching a great fight movie just like those good old GODZILLA movies, this is the movie for you but with better Graphs.
  89. Jul 17, 2013
    Easily the best movie of the year so far, amazing special effects, solid writing great characterization. It's pretty much Evangelion, if Evangelion wasn't awful. See it, see it again, you will not regret it.
  90. Jul 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When i first saw ads for this film, I did not expect much, but I watched it regardless, mainly because robots. But when i saw it, i was pleasantly surprised. it was actually a pretty good film, it had a good story line, amazing visuals, and good action scenes. i really only had one complaint though, there is very little character development. Ok, maybe I've been spoiled by evangelion, but there really isn't much. i mean, with some of the characters you meet them, you see their robot, their dead. you never really get to learn much about them, but besides that this was a very good film i believe is worth watching. Expand
  91. Jul 17, 2013
    Okay, first off. Definitely not a Transformers Rip Off. I felt that this was very fresh. It built on the long lost "Oh That's a Giant Monster Destroying our City!" concept which I haven't seen since the new King Kong. The Monsters themselves, the Kaiju were beastly, very cool. Then the Jaigers...Damn, just damn. Loved it from start to finish, I felt that there was not really a "main" character and there were reasons to root for and become attached to all of them. I could see t he Del Toro flavor in much of the design, specifically the Ron Pearlman character. So to sum up, just watch it! Classic Summer flick. Enjoy. Expand
  92. Jul 17, 2013
    As a massive Del Torro fan, and a huge Mange, Anime and Mecha fan this film was everything I wanted it to be.

It made me feel like a child again, it made me feel the same way Jurassic Park made me feel when I was 5 years time, I was in awe. People will of course compare this brilliantly designed and thought of almost Film Noir epic to the atrocity that is is Michael Bay's orange
    backdrop and explosion fest that is the Transformer series, but this film is everything Bay could only dream of making and so much more. The Jeagers had a real sense of proportion, much like the classic PS2 game Shadow of the Colossus you really felt how big they were and when the [spoiler] Kaiju unfurled its wings my jaw actually dropped.

It wasn't a perfect film, but it was everything I hoped for and so much more!
  93. Jul 16, 2013
    This movie was great. While it is not perfect, it is still better then many of the critics say it is. The movie moved right along, the cast was great and the graphics for this type of movie are outstanding. No spoilers, the ending was good to and it did not try to force room for a sequel. My only problem was a lack of fight scenes, but not to such an extent that it was ever slow or boring. A must watch for summer 2013. Expand
  94. Jul 16, 2013
    I was thinking about what conditional promise to make for this review on the way home from Pacific Rim tonight. "If you love Transformers, you'll love Pacific Rim!" or "If you love Godzilla/Guillermo del Toro/action movies-- you'll love Pacific Rim!" These scratch the surface, however. I can promise you: if you love *movies,* you will *love* Pacific Rim. This movie is the definition of fun, entertainment-- it reset my mind. Like us all, I've got life that I like to escape from, and I've found that movies granting me that escape have been becoming increasingly rare. This is a work of movie-art, a labour of love, and it's obvious the people behind it *threw* themselves into it. Go. See. Pacific. Rim. This gets a well-earned ten. Expand
  95. Jul 16, 2013
    In short, see it. You won't regret it, stop wasting your time looking at this and look at the movie!
    Anyways, this movie does everything I can think of right. The action is amazing with the best special effects I have ever seen. There isn't as much as you might expect but it certainly makes up for that in quality. The story is good, not really anything special, but it certainly
    surprised me that the story wasn't just an excuse to watch monsters and robots fight. It also struck me how plausible things seems. At no point does it step outside of the bounds of reason in any ways that's distracting. In fact it's hard to think of anything that couldn't actually work. By making the Jaegers piloted by two people was a nice way to blend the action with the plot that was surprisingly good. I went into the movie with high expectations because of what I heard about it, and what I got shattered my already high expectations. Expand
  96. Jul 16, 2013
    Let go of your scientific knowledge for this movie. A lot of stuff that happens juts isn't all that plausible, but you should know that before you even go in. You are about to watch giant robots suckerpunch demons from another dimension.

The movie is pretty great. It's fresh in the movie industry, and creates a new world for your mind to explore. The characters develop in realistic
    ways, and while they could have been fleshes out more, Guillermo del Toro does a great job with the 131 minutes he had.

I went into this movie as a big skeptic. Whenever I see movies like this, I think it is going to be as mindless as the Transformers series or just plain silly. Instead, there was some great tropes that made you think more about the characters and their role in this war they are fighting.

A great new movie that creates a fun new world. I definitely recommend it.
  97. Jul 16, 2013
    Kaiju fans will love this. Full of genre tropes and homages, but delivered in a unique mix. More humanity than most, with a clever plot device called "the drift". Clearly a labor of love. Great wall metaphor too.
  98. Jul 16, 2013
    Pacific Rim is pure unadulterated entertainment. The acting isn't the best, the script is kinda cheesy but it doesn't matter because the film works 100%. Visually amazing and when watched in the cinema on IMAX and 3D the mix of visuals and sound is overwhelmingly stunning and for a simple film it manages to keep you on the edge of your seat through to the end.
  99. Jul 16, 2013
    Want a fresh break for Sci fi fans. If you ever grew up seeing the movie robot joxs as a kid and wanted more this is it. My only grip was alot was just simply spoiled by the trailers. Fight scenes were tone back from the Michael bay catastrophe action. Great for the kid geek at heart better to take your kids to. Del Toro did a great job and it makes up for a lot of the past Sci fi let downs over this year. Worth a see on the big screen but, could be just as content at home with a good surround system. Expand
  100. Jul 16, 2013
    If you like robots and monsters you can't really go wrong here. The acting isn't bad, the characters likable, the effects and *amazing*, and there's enough plot to keep things going but not enough to get in the way of what you went to see: robots beating up on monsters. I was actually really impressed with the characters and plot, initially worried there would be too much of them and I wouldn't see enough action. The science in this world mostly makes some sense and technical plot holes are few(once you accept the general setup). If you're a fan of mecha themed anime, grew up with Ultraman, or play video games that are action packed then you'll like this movie. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 15, 2013
    It is possible to applaud Pacific Rim for the efficacy of its business model while deploring the tale that has been engendered — long, loud, dark, and very wet. You might as well watch the birth of an elephant.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Jul 12, 2013
    The Kaijus make zombies look like wusses, so at least the fights in this film are battles royal. But overload sets in early, and it all turns into battle boring.
    Pacific Rim made me marvel at the technology of movies, but never the magic of them.