6.5

1. Apr 29, 2013
    They had no likable characters in the film. The Rock was the comical relief as a born again christian. (not funny) It was like watching Dateline Murder Mystery where they were trying to make you route for the criminals. Yeah its a crazy true story, but should have never been made into a movie.
  2. May 5, 2013
    Deservedly belongs on all worst movies of the year list! Guess it will appeal to all those who think crackheads/body dismemberment/homophobic/chauvinistic actions and attitudes are sources for humor but being offensive is hardly being "comedic." Went with high expectations knowing the cast; still angry the morning after that I spent $30.00 on this trash!
  3. May 25, 2013
    PAIN & GAIN
    "Pain & Gain" is true story of a gang of bodybuilders who kidnap a wealthy businessman in order to take all of his money and assets. It stars Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson, Anthony Mackie and Tony Shaloub.

Although the previews for this movie make it appear to be a fun and action packed comedy, I found it to be highly disturbing, anti-climactic, and frustrating. The fact
    that this film was based on a true story is disheartening, mainly from knowing the fact that people can be so stupid in real life.

The film started out pretty good, but as it progressed, it became more and more sickening and to be completely honest, I couldn't wait for it to be over.

Everyone in the film did a good job and Tony Shaloub was, in my opinion, the best thing about it. Unfortunately, good acting can't make up for a story like this one. The cinematography was strange with odd camera angles and shaky shots that made it difficult to see what was taking place at times.

I can't think of anyone to whom I would recommend this movie. I think maybe if you liked "Very Bad Things", you might like it (might).

My grade for this film: D

To view my grading scale, go to: facebook.com/CriticWes
    To view my movie blog, go to: http://www.mix93.com/pages/16393587.php?
  4. Jun 1, 2013
    I went to the movies hoping to have a fun, casual experience with some friends. I really had no idea what this movie was about, other than it was a comedy about some body builders. I discovered pretty quickly that this movie was pure trash. The majority of the "humor" in the movie was made at the expense of Christians and Jesus Christ. I left shortly after the Jesus bashing commenced, thoroughly disgusted. It's pretty shameful what the world is coming to, and what is now considered humor.
    Anti-christian humor aside, the other aspects of the movie were mind numbingly dull and boring. Watching this movie was about the equivalent of having a lobotomy. You may, however, enjoy this movie if your IQ is in the single digits, or if you are incredibly high while viewing it.
  5. Oct 13, 2013
    I didn't know if this movie was meant to be a comedy or not. But, I didn't find it funny. The beginning was the highlight of the movie, but half way through the movie. It fell apart.
  6. Sep 10, 2013
    Best thing I can say about this movie is that I've see worse. There's a couple of funny moments in it but for the most part it's just a bit of a mess. There're a lot of seemingly major events that just kinda happen without any point or purpose. There's not a lot of depth to any of the characters either, though that's more the fault of the writing than the actors themselves. The whole thing just seems very erratic and aimless. At the end of this film you'll be sat wondering what the hell just happened, go home wondering what the point was to the film you just watched and ponder over what else you could've done with that two hours (although it'll seem like you've been in the cinema for way longer). Expand
  7. Aug 21, 2013
    I really don't know where they were going with this movie. It was a terrible mixture of action, comedy, and drama that just did not work well together. The fact that the actors put far too much effort into their characters really ruined the like-ability of them. If Pain & Gain was intended to be a comedy then they really missed the mark on this one because it was not funny...at all. It was just really, really stupid, The kind of stupid where you laugh because you can not believe someone actually thought that was a good idea to put into a film. Not to mention the run time, 2 hours long, was absolutely brutal to sit through.

Overall, Don't even bother. Pain & Gain is a confusing mess that seems to drag on and on with no end in sight.
  8. Apr 27, 2013
    I went in ready to forgive and forget about Michael Bay's previous track record. But this thing has so many annoying slo-mo shots, so many close ups, it was just impossible to not get annoyed. The movie moves at a incredibly slow pace and every character except the Rock is an a-hole. This kind of movie has been done before. And done much, much better.
  9. Jun 14, 2013
    Was ready for it to be over halfway through. The characters get annoying quickly and it feels like the movie is stuck in the mud early on. The stab at humor is ridiculously lacking. Michael Bay being Michael Bay, basically.
  10. Aug 14, 2013
    What a terribly painful movie. With every passing minute you feel like your brain is dying a little bit more.
    The biggest problem is probably that the movie tries so hard to be edgy that it passes by every chance of reflection which would have been necessary to make it watchable. If it wasn't for the pinches of humor mixed in by Dwayne Johnson's character this would be a 0.
    Unaesthetic,
    predictable, disgustingly misogynist and, worst of all, seriously dumb. Expand
  11. Mar 15, 2014
    Desolante e vuota thriller/commedia amara filmata Michael Bay. Al di là della sciatteria della messa in scena e della regia anche il film non diverte mai e dopo i primi 30 minuti già mi ero pentio di averlo iniziato a guardare. Michael Bay non ne azzecca mai una, tutti i suoi film sono scialbi e noiosi, ma forse, nell'era in cui si dice che Kubrick è noioso, ci meritiamo registi di questo calibro. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Sep 2, 2013
    The movie needed some more detachment – and brevity – but Wahlberg shows once again he has the comedy chops.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Aug 27, 2013
    The ever-present air of madcap, goofball insanity carries it through. A seriously guilty pleasure.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark Dinning
    Aug 26, 2013
    Michael Bay goes back to a Bad Boys budget and a big boys’ rating, for a true-life crime story that’s inconsistent and frenetic, but also funny and wilfully outrageous.