6.5

1. May 21, 2014
    Definitely something out of the norm compared to Michael Bay's more recent movies. Rather than focusing on huge explosions and other large action set pieces, this one is largely focused on it's crazy story that is based on actual events. For a film that's part comedy, I found that the humor often failed to connect. Still, despite that this is one that is still worth a watch thanks to it'sDefinitely something out of the norm compared to Michael Bay's more recent movies. Rather than focusing on huge explosions and other large action set pieces, this one is largely focused on it's crazy story that is based on actual events. For a film that's part comedy, I found that the humor often failed to connect. Still, despite that this is one that is still worth a watch thanks to it's great cast and unbelievable story.

As always Mark Wahlberg nails it. His performance, along with the rest of the cast, is excellent. However the real show-stealer here I found to be Dwayne Johnson. This is probably one of the craziest characters Johnson has ever played, and he plays it to darn near-perfection. As far as plot goes this is one of the craziest movies I have ever seen. There's a lot of crazy and shocking stuff happening on screen, and most of it because of how hilariously idiotic the characters are. Obviously there are differences from the actual events, but I was surprised to find out just how much was gotten right here. Honestly it might not be the best or smartest film out there, but it is quite entertaining. Especially when you consider that it's based on a true story.

Overall it's a good movie. Not everything comes together perfectly in the end, and the humor never really connected for me outside of a few one-liners, but it's still worth a watch. It's one of the crazier movies I've watched in recent memory, and that actually makes it pretty fun despite the violent and disgusting stuff that often happens on-screen. My total score for the film is a 7.8/10=Good.
  2. Apr 26, 2013
    Pain and Gain is simply one of the best Micheal Bay films I have ever seen, the story is about Daniel Lugo a hotrod steroid muscleman who wants and deserves more in his life. This comic action film stars Anthony Mackie and Rebel Wilson along with a little spice of Dwanye Johnson. The film is awesome, the story is funny and thought provoking which is needed. The charecter of Mark WahlbergPain and Gain is simply one of the best Micheal Bay films I have ever seen, the story is about Daniel Lugo a hotrod steroid muscleman who wants and deserves more in his life. This comic action film stars Anthony Mackie and Rebel Wilson along with a little spice of Dwanye Johnson. The film is awesome, the story is funny and thought provoking which is needed. The charecter of Mark Wahlberg Is very controversial and serious but when A Bay movie hits theatres he has some comedy in it. The plot is good but needs some help. The story is fresh and new. Pain and Gain is one of the best movies of the year. And I disagree with critics, how can you not like a badass movie like this?! Expand
  3. Nov 11, 2014
    after you watch A Micheal film you feel like crap and you hate it. I have BIG expectations when i see Micheal Bay's movies my expectations are having no stereotypes also no more sexy girls , cut out the dumb humor But the humor was great in this movie; the fact that it is Based on the true story which well it does describe that the killer's were plan old dumb but they were smart at timesafter you watch A Micheal film you feel like crap and you hate it. I have BIG expectations when i see Micheal Bay's movies my expectations are having no stereotypes also no more sexy girls , cut out the dumb humor But the humor was great in this movie; the fact that it is Based on the true story which well it does describe that the killer's were plan old dumb but they were smart at times This movie is not an " A + " performance by the actors and the film itself There was only one stereotype in this movie Micheal Bay's casting choices for Sexual girls now the strip club scene was awesome and sexy but Bar Paly can not act she had a terrible backround story of her life , she can not act she is not beautiful she's Micheal Bay's worst girl yet since megan fox since the Transformers. Bay you are a good director you returned to your genre fim since ' Bad Boys' and well you made a worst version there is no explosions which a cime genre like this should obviously have an explosion scene. Grade B Expand
  4. chw
    Jun 5, 2015
    This is one of Michael Bay's GOOD movies. There's only one explosion, which shows he focused more on the story (it was inspired by true events) and acting than the visual effects.
  5. Nov 15, 2013
    The story of stupid bodybuilders trying to get easy money and involved in a criminal story. The cast is great, the dumbness of characters seemed very convincing and fun. The movie seemed a bit long for me. Overall, worth watching if you like black comedies and yeag, this is based on a true story.
  6. Apr 26, 2013
    Its not doubt Michael Bay's best film to date, with an amazing score and messed up story. Pain and Gain is a hard film to rate though because you wonder about Bay's sexism in the movie and the characters are hard to root for, and when i say characters i mean evry last one. Strong performances came out this film and I am very proud with Bay for actually making a sensible film (or more likeIts not doubt Michael Bay's best film to date, with an amazing score and messed up story. Pain and Gain is a hard film to rate though because you wonder about Bay's sexism in the movie and the characters are hard to root for, and when i say characters i mean evry last one. Strong performances came out this film and I am very proud with Bay for actually making a sensible film (or more like finally making a good film since The Rock). Expand
  7. Sep 15, 2013
    to be honest i thought this movie is going to be a terrible one, i mean come on it's a movie by michael bay, but i found myself laughing and enjoying this movie pretty well, i actually found it so entertaining that i decided to watch it again, mark wahlberg gave a fantastic performance of being obnoxious, there are few mistakes in this movie such as you can see the camera man on the doorto be honest i thought this movie is going to be a terrible one, i mean come on it's a movie by michael bay, but i found myself laughing and enjoying this movie pretty well, i actually found it so entertaining that i decided to watch it again, mark wahlberg gave a fantastic performance of being obnoxious, there are few mistakes in this movie such as you can see the camera man on the door mirror, and some scenes are just too weird, you keep finding yourself on a weird place again and again, but overall the movie is entertaining in a good way. Expand
  8. Aug 31, 2013
    Good film. It's without any doubt one of Michael's best pictures. It was very funny and I would watch it again!! Great action film. I saw it when it first came out and I really enjoyed it!!
  9. Sep 24, 2013
    Idiocy, and to a lesser extent, wonder. Truly that's what I took away with me. How there 3 criminals could be that confident and stupid made me wonder why they weren't caught sooner, people didn't suspect anything let alone how they performed it.

Twice the audience is told this is a true story. It must be if were told twice because this surely could happen in the real world? But then you find out it was and I curiously looked it up after the movie to learn more. Wow.

I'm not sure if it was intended but there is a message in this film: The American dream is not achievable for everyone, which means people will resort to any means to get it. Especially when you're a fitness freak with unlimited, zealous confidence and optimism. I left the cinema thinking all these positive messages out there are great but they too needs to be restrained. Otherwise we'd be like Daniel Lugo have an inflated sense of self worth, importance and direct all the energy into something wrong, stupid or bad. And that corrective thought is a good thing.

It's a silly, funny, ridiculous ride with a serious ending to reaffirm that desires can make you do stupid things
  10. Apr 29, 2013
    A Michael Bay movie not featuring destruction of half a megalopolis, Pain and Gain is quite a thing. The whole plot and sequences feel strongly grotesque, but the movie doesn't forget to remind you once in a while that all of this is based on a true story, which is quite amazing. The utter stupidity of the main characters is sometimes outright hilarious, and sometimes pitiful. Pain andA Michael Bay movie not featuring destruction of half a megalopolis, Pain and Gain is quite a thing. The whole plot and sequences feel strongly grotesque, but the movie doesn't forget to remind you once in a while that all of this is based on a true story, which is quite amazing. The utter stupidity of the main characters is sometimes outright hilarious, and sometimes pitiful. Pain and Gain is a movie about simple people who make bad decisions. Very bad ones. The main cast's performance is well-delivered, the visual side is flawless. but the pacing drops in the third quarter of the movie or so in my opinion. Anyway, it's a good movie, not without flaws, but certainly one of Bay's better ones. Expand
  11. Aug 14, 2013
    Not my usual genre of film, but this particular one deserves a higher score simply because it is based on a true story. You cringe, you laugh, and you cringe again. It left me in complete horror and disgust in a good way, if that makes sense. The acting was very convincing and really gave you a good perspective on the crime itself.
  12. May 4, 2014
    Surprisingly really enjoyed this and laughed along with the characters all the way. Great cast! It's Michael Bay, so my expectations were low to average, but I thought this was terrific and criminally fun. Mark Wahlberg and the Rock have always been those actors that you just like the minute they appear on screen!
  13. Aug 13, 2013
    Pain & Gain received raging critic reviews, and honestly, some are well deserved. I did find flaws, such as the director making trying to make EVERY character likeable- the criminals, the victim, the private investigator, at the end of the movie I sat there, confused as to whom I am cheering for. The main character (or so it seems) isn't that likeable as well.

BUT! The movie doesn't

BUT! The movie doesn't deserve an average of 44 on the Metascore, despite its flaws, the movie was fun and entertaining to watch. The acting was great, the story was very interesting and quirky and I found myself laughing here and there.

Conclusion? Even with all its flaws, I liked this movie and would recommend it as something casual to watch.
  14. Feb 26, 2015
    I cannot believe I like this movie, but I do. The story is convincingly entertaining, it is a well cast movie and I found it funny a number of times. The problem may be that's it's a little too much: a little too violent, a little too dark or a little too light depending on the scene. The different emotions don't blend in too well, I just don't know whether there's a serious scene or aI cannot believe I like this movie, but I do. The story is convincingly entertaining, it is a well cast movie and I found it funny a number of times. The problem may be that's it's a little too much: a little too violent, a little too dark or a little too light depending on the scene. The different emotions don't blend in too well, I just don't know whether there's a serious scene or a funny scene going on, I don't know if I should laugh or cry (that's a joke, no one would cry watching this... right?). But I guess I just like films where (spoilers)... bodybuilders attack or kill innocent people to make some money and then get arrested by the end of the movie. Expand
  15. Aug 16, 2013
    First off I just want to say I loved this film, fantastic story with twists, suspense, comedy and thrills. Mix in some brilliant acting, especially from The Rock and you've got yourself a fantastic film. It does help if you lift weights because you find it more relateable, but there's still much fun to be had if you don't. Well worth watching.
  16. Jun 7, 2013
    I've never been on the Michael Bay bashing train and certainly don't plan to start now as his latest, "smaller" film is likely the most interesting piece of work he will ever put to film. Interesting being the key word here as the story Bay has chosen to recount is one of the most outlandish and absurd truths that has also likely even been put to film. I have been highly anticipating PainI've never been on the Michael Bay bashing train and certainly don't plan to start now as his latest, "smaller" film is likely the most interesting piece of work he will ever put to film. Interesting being the key word here as the story Bay has chosen to recount is one of the most outlandish and absurd truths that has also likely even been put to film. I have been highly anticipating Pain & Gain if not for the chance to see the now solidified movie star of Mark Wahlberg make his next move as well as watching Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson continue to skyrocket towards superstar status, but for the opportunity to see Bay stretch his visual (and maybe even storytelling) muscles with something other than big CGI robots. It has been nearly six years since the first Transformers film and in the time that Bay has delivered two sequels he has also had the growing ambition for this kind of passion project and that comes through in the execution and style with which Pain & Gain is delivered. There have already been some pretty heavy accusations and criticisms of the film thrown out and while I can understand where some of these are coming from in regards to the family of the deceased feeling this is making light of their family members deaths, the film certainly isn't glorifying the main characters and if anything, the source of the comedy comes from how stupid and incompetent these lead protagonists are in their dim-witted schemes. There are plenty of words being thrown around like homophobic or misogynistic to describe the director and his film yet it has always been clear the world these characters lived in was a world of strippers and bodybuilders who'd do anything for their physique yet likely oppose anything even the least bit gay. Those complaints are rendered mute by the fact those attributes are what create the atmosphere and the actions of the characters are so off-putting and the story so strange that it is also becomes extremely engaging.

read the whole review at www.reviewsfromabed.com
  17. May 4, 2013
    Pain and Gain is by far Michael Bay's best movie since The Rock. He directed a nearly perfect movie. The naysayers or this movie are probably still rapped up in the previous film by Michael Bay, Transformers 3. We can all agree that the third and hopefully final installment of the Transformers franchise was dissapointing. However, this is definitely a redemption, it was a perfect balancePain and Gain is by far Michael Bay's best movie since The Rock. He directed a nearly perfect movie. The naysayers or this movie are probably still rapped up in the previous film by Michael Bay, Transformers 3. We can all agree that the third and hopefully final installment of the Transformers franchise was dissapointing. However, this is definitely a redemption, it was a perfect balance between funny and serious, with a little bit of action. This movie, in better terms, was a brilliant piece of art. Expand
  18. May 7, 2013
    New film from the director of Transformer's films is well-told story based on real events. Film has very stupid protagonists, funny jokes and profound subtext (somewhere). "Pain & Gain" is not without flaws some inconsistencies in the story can spoil the viewing experience. But still, this is an interesting film that would have cost his view again.
  19. Apr 28, 2013
    Pain in Gain is what I consider to be the beginning of the big dumb summer films. While it is not as action pact or EXPLOSIVE as other summer films as well as other Michael Bay films, it is certainly one of the most crazy films I've seen in a while. It sounds like the dumbest plot ever until you are reminded that the story being told is based on actual events. The film is great for what itPain in Gain is what I consider to be the beginning of the big dumb summer films. While it is not as action pact or EXPLOSIVE as other summer films as well as other Michael Bay films, it is certainly one of the most crazy films I've seen in a while. It sounds like the dumbest plot ever until you are reminded that the story being told is based on actual events. The film is great for what it is and considering other Michael Bay films, this is definitely one of his better ones. Michael Bays "style" works well with this story and all the acting is good. Marky Mark does a fine job but the star in my opinion is Dwayne Johnson who is a riot. Besides a few dumb moments and some pacing issues I think this movie is extremely entertaining and funny. It's a shame it's not getting as much praise at it deserves because Michael Bays name is on it but overall, it is worth a watch. Expand
  20. Oct 18, 2013
    A sad, disturbing movie with some really fun actors doing great satire. Like Fargo or Burn After Reading but much better. More than just a comedy saying "People are stupid", the finger here is pointed squarely at masculinity and the "American Dream".
  21. Apr 29, 2013
    This movie was very interesting. A blend of tragedy and dark comedy, it is one enjoyable film. The feelings for every individual character is evoked initially and changes as the movie progresses, for the better or for the worse, this movie is a must-watch.
  22. May 18, 2013
    Despite Michael Bay, I honestly enjoyed this movie. It kept me interested the whole length of the movie, with laughs and crazy scenes. Another reason I enjoyed it so much was the fact that if I hadn't seen this movie, I don't think I ever would have heard of these guys and the true story behind the madness. I think Bay did a pretty good job keeping with the story and Marky Mark wasDespite Michael Bay, I honestly enjoyed this movie. It kept me interested the whole length of the movie, with laughs and crazy scenes. Another reason I enjoyed it so much was the fact that if I hadn't seen this movie, I don't think I ever would have heard of these guys and the true story behind the madness. I think Bay did a pretty good job keeping with the story and Marky Mark was excellent. The Rock also really surprised me here, playing his role very well and hilariously. It's not a film to break any molds but it's a fun one to be sure. Much more entertaining than most of the garbage coming out today and a pleasant surprise. Expand
  23. Apr 29, 2013
    This is Michael Bay begin Michael Bay and that is great because this movie kinda of reminds me of Bad Boys A fun Michael bay movie) If you are walking in this movie looking for The Town or Blow you should forget that because this is basically a FUN, and Exciting move Great movie Michael Bay
  24. Oct 8, 2013
    Pain & Gain is a movie that critics and movie goers seem to dislike a lot. If people didn't know that Michael Bay directed it, audiences would be more open-minded in my opinion. Once people see Bay's name they automatically assume that the characters won't have depth, and there is going to be bloated action sequences. This just isn't the case with Pain & Gain.

The Rock and Mark Wahlberg

The Rock and Mark Wahlberg deliver one of the best performances that I have seen from them. I haven't been a fan of their work, but here they do a great job. Ed Harris and Rebel Wilson do fantastic in their minor roles. The action scenes in this movie need to get praise also. Unlike most of Bays work, the action seems really focused and you can comprehend what's happening onscreen. It's not an overload of explosions and special effects.

The comedy in here I liked. It was dark comedy for sure, and isn't a laugh-out-loud comedy, but it has its funny moments. Anthony Mackie is easily the funniest, and he adds a lot of humor to this movie. The humor is morbid, but it works.

I do have problems with the movie though. Voice-overs are used way too much. Slo-motion is also a bit overused, but it works more than the voice-overs do. Being that this is a Michael Bay production, its running time is too long. Even though this movie is fast paced and not dull for the first 90 minutes, the last 30 to 40 minutes slow down the pace drastically. Some scenes are crucial to the story, while others should have been left out entirely.

Pain & Gain for me is a very entertaining movie. The story is very well told and probably Bays best storytelling movie. It isn't going to win an Oscar or anything, but it does a great job telling a painfully true story.
  25. Oct 16, 2014
    This will always be Michael Bay's best film, and I really don't like his films. You can tell from the first 5 minutes this is a great movie. The only reason this movie is not perfect is because it was done on a very low budget, but it still looks great. Sure they could have re-tried some acting scenes, and the movie has pacing issues, as well as a hard time making this dark comedyThis will always be Michael Bay's best film, and I really don't like his films. You can tell from the first 5 minutes this is a great movie. The only reason this movie is not perfect is because it was done on a very low budget, but it still looks great. Sure they could have re-tried some acting scenes, and the movie has pacing issues, as well as a hard time making this dark comedy actually funny. But guess what? People will be talking about Pain & Gain a lot longer than Transformers 2. Pain & Gain turns the mirror on America in the best way a Hollywood movie can, and it has a lot to say.

And that music....
    "I'm big....
    ...I'm HOT!"

Interesting note: Michael Bay's favorite movie is "Raising Arizona", and this is unbelievable until you've seen this movie.
  26. Feb 5, 2015
    Up to Pain & Gain, it was virtually impossible to understand how aware Michael Bay had become of the way his work was often perceived. This feature does feel like the film of his lifetime. Aided by a clever and funny script, its direction combines all the visual traits you’d expect from a Michael Bay film and more than once clearly makes fun of them. Openly unapologetic and self-indulgent,Up to Pain & Gain, it was virtually impossible to understand how aware Michael Bay had become of the way his work was often perceived. This feature does feel like the film of his lifetime. Aided by a clever and funny script, its direction combines all the visual traits you’d expect from a Michael Bay film and more than once clearly makes fun of them. Openly unapologetic and self-indulgent, Pain & Gain clearly shows how genuinely entertaining Bay’s films could be, once freed from the franchise logic. Expand
  27. May 27, 2013
    one of the best movies I sawone of the best movies I saw
    .........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  28. Jan 3, 2015
    An action comedy about a few body builders, getting into a venture. Everybody acted well making it come to life - Tony Shalhoub from The Monk, Mark Wahlberg from Italian Job, and especially The Rock who definitely takes the cake - because of his character, and because of portraying it so well!

Apparently this is based on real life incidents which makes it even more hilarious. Watch it and you will definitely have more than a few laughs!
  29. May 7, 2013
    I actually liked Pain & Gain more than Iron Man 3. It didn't stay quite as strong in the end, but it was darkly funny the whole way through and focused on how dumb these 3 bodybuilders were.
  30. Aug 16, 2013
    People need to realize this is based on a true story about one of the most bizarre cases ever! They made it weird and they way it was supposed to be. This isn't a typical movie.
  31. Apr 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After seeing the trailer for this movie, I pretty much envisioned it to be a comedy. It turns out that the movie is actually a rather brutal depiction of a completely true story about a trio of bodybuilders who kidnap, torture, and kill people. I was honestly entertained by the movie, and I wanted to know what would happen next, but I knew that it would end poorly. Since I knew about the court rulings in real life, I knew what would happen at the end of the movie, and that made me somewhat lose interest in the movie. A major flaw of the film are its unlikeable characters. Marky Mark portrays Daniel Lugo, easily the least likable of the bunch, and he is nothing but a brutal criminal with big muscles. Luckily The Rock plays a much better role as a born again Christian, although he hits a rough spot once he becomes a cocaine addict. By the end of the movie, I felt bad for Victor Kershaw and those other two people who were killed. I honestly ended up liking Clint Eastwood as a minor character as a detective than I liked any of the three bodybuilders. This sounds like a lot of criticism, but at the end of the day I was still satisfied with this movie and I found it worth the price of admission. Expand
  32. Jun 9, 2013
    Had to say i had great time with this movie! Watched it on projection in Belgrade... had quite a laugh.. can't believe it's true story.. but people do crazy things.. Great cast crazy story... what else you need to watch a movie...
  33. Apr 28, 2013
    an undeniably entertaining movie with a great line of actors who all deliver. I found my self to be the only one laughing at times haha. overall the movie delivered and the ROCK is massive.
  34. Apr 28, 2013
    nuff said....................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  35. Dec 3, 2013
    Simply a crazy movie. About a lot more than just moving iron up and down.It's about motivation, perseverance, and a will to rise above yourself.
    The music they had in the movie was hilarious, and they had they same theme playing for a long time. It was very different and moving, Also it has comedy, babes, and action, what more could a guy want.
  36. May 20, 2013
    What a surprising film out of nowhere, I honestly didn't expect much from this film and had it not been for a free ticket I wouldn't of caught this in theaters, but I'm so happy I did. It has that dark and quirky humor that keeps you laughing from start to finish. Each character does a great job in their respected role. Wahlberg and The Rock had me laughing at just about everything. ThisWhat a surprising film out of nowhere, I honestly didn't expect much from this film and had it not been for a free ticket I wouldn't of caught this in theaters, but I'm so happy I did. It has that dark and quirky humor that keeps you laughing from start to finish. Each character does a great job in their respected role. Wahlberg and The Rock had me laughing at just about everything. This is surely one of the more entertaining films of the year so far in my opinion. I'm not sure if I enjoyed it as much as I did because I expected nothing, or Mark Wahlbergs dry humor just kept the movie continuously interesting and amusing. The trailer pretty much prepares you for a film that it is certainly not. I highly recommend giving this a shot, it's sad to see it not getting the credit I feel it deserves, but I believe that to be because of Bays reputation and people that couldn't look into the humor of it all. WATCH THIS MOVIE! Expand
  37. Apr 28, 2013
    Pain & Gain is what it looks like when Michael Bay decides he wants to make a little movie, as opposed to another action epic. The director known for making bombastic action blockbusters has taken a step back to make a smaller film based on a true story, but it does not mean he put his signature style in check. Pain & Gain is very glossy film, gorgeous at times, and certainly not subtle.Pain & Gain is what it looks like when Michael Bay decides he wants to make a little movie, as opposed to another action epic. The director known for making bombastic action blockbusters has taken a step back to make a smaller film based on a true story, but it does not mean he put his signature style in check. Pain & Gain is very glossy film, gorgeous at times, and certainly not subtle. It is also an incredibly dark comedy, with a story so ridiculous that it has to be true, and it is. Based on a true crime story, this film does its best to depict what happens when seemingly good-natured crooks get in way over their heads and resort to drastic measures to achieve their American dream. While Bay's style can be grating for some, the mix of a strong cast and a messy, but compelling story makes this a film with a lot more going on than the standard Bay blockbuster. You want to be the same as they?
    www.pharmbalkan.com make the dream a reality!
  38. Aug 15, 2013
    Another example why you shouldn't listen to "critics" who lover scores because it's not silent, black and white, heart braking war story that either makes you sleepy or feel horrible inside. It's fast-paste dark comedy that would make you laugh at things you shouldn't. Just watch it and decide for yourself.
  39. Aug 4, 2013
    The story telling was unique, it was a dark comedy that was marketed as Hangover type experience which is why you see people not liking the film, that and Christian people who can't take a joke. I would say it should have been marketed as more of a crime movie which is what it ends up being. Overall good movie with dishonest marketing.
  40. Sep 4, 2013
    This was a decent movie. I thought that it was a lot better than the reviews give it credit for. There was a lot of over-the-top violence, and I thought that it was disturbing that they presented this true murder in a comedic tone, and it would have been better if it was a drama, not a comedy. This was good, but way over-the-top.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Sep 2, 2013
    The movie needed some more detachment – and brevity – but Wahlberg shows once again he has the comedy chops.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Aug 27, 2013
    The ever-present air of madcap, goofball insanity carries it through. A seriously guilty pleasure.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark Dinning
    Aug 26, 2013
    Michael Bay goes back to a Bad Boys budget and a big boys’ rating, for a true-life crime story that’s inconsistent and frenetic, but also funny and wilfully outrageous.