8.5

1. SarahBeckett
    Nov 19, 2007
    Some people really get on my nerves. Do the people giving this film a zero honestly think that it's the worst film ever and undeserving of a single point towards its name. Quit wasting intelligent people's time with your idiotic reviews and go back to watching Norbit and Big Mommas House 2. It's heartbreaking for me to see these bad reviews for a film so undeserving of them.
  2. JeffreyL.
    Jan 10, 2007
    I initially went to see this movie thinking it was a fantasy movie, a mistake that has been made by many it seems like, though I wasn't disappointed to find out that it wasn't as much a fantasy as it was a war drama. This was one of the best movie going experiences of my life. after screening the movie I wasn't able to get out of my head. I can't stop thinking about I initially went to see this movie thinking it was a fantasy movie, a mistake that has been made by many it seems like, though I wasn't disappointed to find out that it wasn't as much a fantasy as it was a war drama. This was one of the best movie going experiences of my life. after screening the movie I wasn't able to get out of my head. I can't stop thinking about it. I will be forced a second viewing just so i can think of something else except Pan's Labyrinth. Expand
  3. NickM
    Jan 12, 2007
    A rich, beautiful and profound film.
  4. Timmy
    Jan 13, 2007
    In Pan's Labyrinth, Del Toro masterfully reminds us of the dark emotions that are tucked away in each one of us, lovingly cuts each one open, oozing just enough for our souls to willingly drown.
  5. RobA
    Jan 13, 2007
    I drove 50 miles to see this movie and after having seen it, I would have driven 100. It was amazing. Best movie I have seen in a looooong time.
  6. AdrianA.
    Jan 13, 2007
    incredible storyline very deep to the point that some people are unsure if the faun and the fairies were real or if it was just her imagining everything to try to escape reality. I believe it was just her mind making up for the horror of her life so the bad reviews and calling it a Mexican SciFi came from someone unable to comprehend the true message of a story like this.
  7. HarryP.
    Jan 13, 2007
    When the films of 2006 are talked about, years from now, this will be seen as the Everest among the foothills of the piedmont.
  8. AbeS.
    Jan 14, 2007
    I swear this is the best movie I have seen in my whole life. The story is perfect also the setting and the actors. YOU MUST GO AND SEE IT.
  9. LanaL.
    Nov 4, 2007
    A good movie. Possible answer to Zabbock, she might've drawn upward cause it would be more difficult for the wrinkler to climb upwards.
  10. LarryL.
    Jan 14, 2007
    Best film I've seen in 35 years. A masterwork of originality -- I really don't have the language for how good Pan's Labyrinth is.
  11. IsraelB.
    Jan 15, 2007
    Excellent movie, the best of all 2006. I can´t think of nothing else but this movie. Del Toro is a true master of this kind of movie, really, you can´t miss this one.
  12. ClintonM.
    Jan 15, 2007
    This lyrical movie was one of the saddest I have ever seen. Its battle scenes seemed to be heavy-handed at times, and the screenplay on the whole could have been stronger. Nevertheless, it is an extraordinary movie of breathtaking vision.
  13. JaimeB.
    Jan 16, 2007
    Maybe not everybody agrees with the story but the film itself is a masterpiece. It's very different from what Hollywood usually does, Del Toro now is among the greatest filmmakers. His imagination is inspiring. I´m very glad to have had the opportunity to see this movie.
  14. IanD.
    Jan 16, 2007
    If Pan's Labyrinth was a book it would be a Gabriel Garcia Marquez at the height of his powers. Moving, beautiful and deeply moral. I can't wait to see it again.
  15. Filmfan
    Jan 17, 2007
    This is a must see film. It has qualities similar to the Rings films--an engaging tale being told as fate unfolds. My most serious criticism is too much graphic violence, which the filmmaker probably thought supported a grotesque atmosphere.
  16. ChrisC
    Jan 19, 2007
    Incredible movie. Incredible contrast between the fantasy escapism plotline and the gritty real world plotline. It's like a fairy tale, except bloody. The commercials were deceptive, but your expectations being off the mark wasn't the movie's fault.
  17. KevinC.
    Jan 21, 2007
    Splendid. This film is beautifully shot, the SFX are astounding, the acting -- especially Ivana Baquero -- is sterling, and the multi-layered maessages resonate throughout. One of, if not the, best films I've ever seen.
  18. LeslieC.
    Jan 21, 2007
    This is a brilliant movie which is made for mature audiences that are willing to put in the effort to THINK about the deeper context of the film, rather than serve as eyecandy for the easily swayed. That said. people who gave it a zero were clearly having a brain fart while watching it.WATCH IT.
  19. DavidH.
    Jan 2, 2007
    Works on so many levels, intellectual and visceral, artistic, humanistic and historical, with gripping peformances, stunning visual effects that are seamlessly part of the narrative. The cinematography is rich and appropriate to the moment, the score unobtrusive but persuasive. What a vision this man has! To me, the most original film in a long time.
  20. BryanS.
    Jan 2, 2007
    One of the best films I've ever seen...6 times.
  21. PeterM.
    Jan 2, 2007
    Is it fable or political commentary......or vice versa? Either way, it's fantastic.
  22. Sarah
    Jan 2, 2007
    An extremely captivating movie and highly recommended.
    Jan 2, 2007
    A graceful and amazing film of historic proportions.
  24. FrancoC.
    Jan 21, 2007
    An absolutely fantastic movie. the visuals are fantastic, the story line is deeply engrossing and the sheer complexity of the story, the great allusions and scenes it gives us is wonderful.
  25. M.S.
    Jan 20, 2007
    Before I say anything about this movie I would just like to ask a few questions. Is the violence in this movie as gratituous or as brutal as many of the reviewers here would suggest? The answer to that question is no. The violence was by no means as gruesome or as intrusive to the film's messages as many of these score keepers suggest. I apologize but this isn't Hostel. Can you Before I say anything about this movie I would just like to ask a few questions. Is the violence in this movie as gratituous or as brutal as many of the reviewers here would suggest? The answer to that question is no. The violence was by no means as gruesome or as intrusive to the film's messages as many of these score keepers suggest. I apologize but this isn't Hostel. Can you be THAT squeamish? My belief is a few of you don't believe that a contemporary piece can possibly merit such critical acclaim. As many of you have pointed out, you wanted to see that 98 go down a notch. Ok. Your vote only affects user scores, idiots. With that out of the way, I would like to announce that this is one of the most beautifully directed and realized films of the year. Though it's plot may be simple and the special effects may not devour the screen, the stark and grim reality of what is seen is portrayed with an unflinching love for what is possible in our minds. If anything, my only complaint would be that the fantasy world of Ophelia, the main character, was not seen enough. But I realize that this was necessary. It shows how the greed, bloodlust, and chaos of our world affects the minds of the young and the curious and how the real world's scary tendencies are not forgotten within the imagination. The scene with the horrifying "Pale Man" is the perfect example. A hideous and bloodthirsty, yet totally fantasized entity wishing to do harm to Ophelia. This helps emphasize on the truth that pain and fear as well as love and laughter encompass all worlds, whether fictional or factual. The concepts of our reality never die even if its imagery and logic does. Acting wise this movie is grade A. Every person in the cast makes his or her role believable and vital to the overall presentation. The camera work was gorgeous and the special effects were, if not subtle, breath-taking in their aesthetic. Before I decide to top this review off, I would like to say that the packed theatre I was in clapped loudly and before that clapped a particularly tense yet triumphant escape scene. It had a totally unanimous effect on the crowd, showcasing the genious of the movie's acting, writing, directing, and pacing. This film is not for everyone but for anyone with an open mind, heart, or imagination...please see this. Expand
  26. CynthiaR.
    Jan 21, 2007
    I just saw this movie yesterday inside a packed theater. Two words: absolutely incredible. Del Torro geniously interweaves the fantasy and reality aspects of the film, with the reality being more frightening. The actors were astounding, and although Ivana Baquero did an amazing job portraying the innocent Ofelia, my props go to the captured stuttering soldier who was about to be tortured. I just saw this movie yesterday inside a packed theater. Two words: absolutely incredible. Del Torro geniously interweaves the fantasy and reality aspects of the film, with the reality being more frightening. The actors were astounding, and although Ivana Baquero did an amazing job portraying the innocent Ofelia, my props go to the captured stuttering soldier who was about to be tortured. The fear was just so believable and intense that me and my friends were hiding under our jackets. Another thing to add, some people may have felt that the general was too cruel to be real (my friend said that was the only downer), but I took a course on Spain last semester, and that's really how Franco's dictatorship was like. Overall 10/10. Expand
  27. DigitalPharaoh
    Jan 20, 2007
    Brilliant...no matter what the last few reviewers wrote. Best movie I've seen in years. Breathtaking fantasy...
  28. MoL.
    Jan 22, 2007
    An excellent work of abstract film making. It's a movie that obviously has working beneath its surface, and it wears a lot of the thematic elements and metaphors right on its face, but its still excellent, still fascinating, still entertaining. Oh, and one more thing, DO NOT BRING CHILDREN TO THE MOVIE. It's not exactly the whale rider situation where theres some minor An excellent work of abstract film making. It's a movie that obviously has working beneath its surface, and it wears a lot of the thematic elements and metaphors right on its face, but its still excellent, still fascinating, still entertaining. Oh, and one more thing, DO NOT BRING CHILDREN TO THE MOVIE. It's not exactly the whale rider situation where theres some minor technicality that prevents it from pulling a PG or a G. It's violent. Really, really violent. Like, "Oh my god!" followed by covering your eyes violent. Expand
  29. BruceS.
    Jan 20, 2007
    Those who have so selflessly tossed this movie aside for the sake of those of us who go to see movies like Pan's Labyrinth hoping to see Chronicles of Narnia can take a breather and step to the sidelines. Why? Because your opinion doesn't matter, because you obviously have horrible taste in film. Pan's Labyrinth is nothing short of genius. When you leave the theatre, you Those who have so selflessly tossed this movie aside for the sake of those of us who go to see movies like Pan's Labyrinth hoping to see Chronicles of Narnia can take a breather and step to the sidelines. Why? Because your opinion doesn't matter, because you obviously have horrible taste in film. Pan's Labyrinth is nothing short of genius. When you leave the theatre, you will be instantly reminded of what this film puts you through, and you will be all the wiser having seen it. Expand
  30. W.G.
    Jan 22, 2007
    To those who claim that the two worlds don't coincide with each other are missing the point of the entire movie. Reality is what we make of it. The ending was one of the greatest I have ever seen, and seems to encapsulate the human condition in one pivotal scene...ie it attempts to frame the greatest human question of all "Why are we here?"
  31. MarkS.
    Jan 23, 2007
    I assumed Pan's Labyrinth would be a tour de force in crazy creatures and dark wonderlands and brilliant cinematography. What I found instead was a precise, compelling narrative that managed to bring all of those aspects together without forcing it down the audience's throats. The gorier parts have enough context to them to not offend (in my opinion), while the sweeter, more I assumed Pan's Labyrinth would be a tour de force in crazy creatures and dark wonderlands and brilliant cinematography. What I found instead was a precise, compelling narrative that managed to bring all of those aspects together without forcing it down the audience's throats. The gorier parts have enough context to them to not offend (in my opinion), while the sweeter, more poetic parts are just flat-out gorgeous. Although minimally developed, the context of Spanish Civil War was engrossing and flowed surprisingly well with the fantasy elements. In a film climate often split between the factory-line tight and overly-ambitious, PL finds a nice middle ground. Expand
  32. Sean
    Jan 23, 2007
    Oh man, my jaw was literally dropped through the whole 2 hours. The movie grabbed me from the first words and didn't let go. After watching this film, i was confused. I loved it so much, i was so enchanted and shocked by it all, that during the actual viewing, it seemed downright perfect. But i dwelled on it afterwards, to find some flaw, ANY flaw. Could a film really be as perfect Oh man, my jaw was literally dropped through the whole 2 hours. The movie grabbed me from the first words and didn't let go. After watching this film, i was confused. I loved it so much, i was so enchanted and shocked by it all, that during the actual viewing, it seemed downright perfect. But i dwelled on it afterwards, to find some flaw, ANY flaw. Could a film really be as perfect as this one first seemed? And, surpsingly, i couldnt find any flaws. While watching it, i got the same exhilaration of great filmmaking that Citizen Kane, The Godfather, and Lord of the Rings gave me. And the more i thought it over, the more i realized that, yes, indeed, this film belongs in that company, just like Metacritic would have us believe. I was also worried before the movie that i would be disappointed, because while the critical acclaim was unprecedented, many non-critics had been complaining about over-praise. But watching it, i honestly believe the critics were on to something, and that the movie is getting all the professional praise it deserves. A perfect work of art. Expand
  33. JoshS.
    Jan 24, 2007
    The most enthusiastic ten I've given in quite some time. An incredible movie.
  34. JonathanA
    Jan 26, 2007
    Its violence is harrowing, its message is clearcut, and its fantasy is dark and gripping. But the tie-in between the two worlds - that of the civil war in the real and the fairy tale one in its midst - is carefully and expertly presented; that is where its subtlety and excellence lies. It will not hit you until the final scene about the significance of the fantasy elements, and then Its violence is harrowing, its message is clearcut, and its fantasy is dark and gripping. But the tie-in between the two worlds - that of the civil war in the real and the fairy tale one in its midst - is carefully and expertly presented; that is where its subtlety and excellence lies. It will not hit you until the final scene about the significance of the fantasy elements, and then everything else about the film's earlier sequences clicks. Incredible. Expand
  35. PacoC.
    Jan 26, 2007
    Guillermo del Toro has been able to give two sets of story lines that both mix and conjunt very well, One the cruel reality and other the beautifull yet twisted fantasy. With this it is interesting the way the director created a Fantasy movie for adults. Some scenes are very gore and I would not sugest small children to come and watch the film but you have to as well think that it is what Guillermo del Toro has been able to give two sets of story lines that both mix and conjunt very well, One the cruel reality and other the beautifull yet twisted fantasy. With this it is interesting the way the director created a Fantasy movie for adults. Some scenes are very gore and I would not sugest small children to come and watch the film but you have to as well think that it is what made the movie even more special and not so americanized and not so categorised for either matured adults or young children. Expand
  36. ShaneH.
    Oct 27, 2007
    The best film i have seen since i can remember. I broke down at the end. Never has a film had such an effect on me. Guillermo del Toro is a genius.
  37. WilliamD.
    Jan 27, 2007
    Extraordinary, especially if you are aware of the events and politics of the Spanish Civil War before World War II.
  38. StinkyP.
    Jan 27, 2007
    all the negative reviews are written in the same style here. is it one reviewer submitting in mutliples? Anyway, I loved it. Incredible cinematics. Great mood and atmosphere. Mercedes from Y Tu Mam Tambien? Magnifique! How did they make that stunner look drab? I didi see a 6 or 7 year old atthe theatre ... way too young for the disturbing scences in this film.
  39. MartynG.
    Jan 27, 2007
    This movie was amazing, i can't stop thinking about it; terrifing, beautiful and a courage that is unmatched.
  40. PennD.
    Jan 27, 2007
    This is one of the finest movies to come along in a long time. It is truly groundbreaking as it merges the harsh reality that was Post Civil War Spain with the delicacy and charm of fantasy with its under story.... With so many bad offerings and incomplete attempts (Eragon for example)... this movie will truly renew your faith in the cinema.
  41. FizgigP.
    Jan 28, 2007
    Pan's Labyrinth was absolutely amazing. I did not know what to expect walking into the theater, but i knew what i saw when i walked out, a masterpiece. The parallels between the real world and the fairytale are very subtle, and both worlds in their own way were bitter and relentless towards ofellia. The Movie was very violent, but not overdone. The first scene in which captain Vidal Pan's Labyrinth was absolutely amazing. I did not know what to expect walking into the theater, but i knew what i saw when i walked out, a masterpiece. The parallels between the real world and the fairytale are very subtle, and both worlds in their own way were bitter and relentless towards ofellia. The Movie was very violent, but not overdone. The first scene in which captain Vidal kills a man you know what is in store for Ofellia. The monsters were beautiful in their own way each with a creepy dark fairytale aspect to them. The makeup was outstanding, and the cgi was not bad. Very Very Good Film. Expand
  42. KadathB.
    Jan 29, 2007
    Beautiful. Disturbing. Emotionally draining. These are only a few words to describe Pan's Labyrinth, an amazing picture that will unlikely resemble anything you've seen before, but before you enter this film you must have an open mind. It's not the gore that disturbed me [though it is at a level of detail that many could find disgusting or shocking] but rather the magnitude Beautiful. Disturbing. Emotionally draining. These are only a few words to describe Pan's Labyrinth, an amazing picture that will unlikely resemble anything you've seen before, but before you enter this film you must have an open mind. It's not the gore that disturbed me [though it is at a level of detail that many could find disgusting or shocking] but rather the magnitude and impact the movie has emotionally and visually, it's a beautiful picture but in a very dark and gothic way, in fact I don't know if I have seen a gothic fantasy work quite this well in a movie, and the tremendously well acted and portrayed vision of reality, blurs the line between the real and the fiction more than any story has before, and when it all comes together, you either feel everything the characters have felt or you feel nothing, and I can tell you the majority of the people will feel something. Pan's Labyrinth is far and away the best film in years, and considering it's limited release here, consider yourself lucky to catch it in the theatre, but even if you miss it on the big screen, you must make it a goal to see it on video- mthis is simply a film that cannot be missed, but once again keep an open mind [Also a warning for parents: It may be a fairy tale, but it is equally a horror, drama, and war film- it's most definitely not a film children under the age of at least 14 should see]. Expand
  43. Dave
    Jan 29, 2007
    Absolutely brilliant! This is one of the best films not only from last year, but probably the last decade. Unlike many of the people here, I WAS NOT expecting more fantasy, because I read some of the reviews of the film. And as far as the violence, yes some parts of the film are hard to watch, but hey this is during Franco's reign near the end of WW II in Spain. If you knew anything Absolutely brilliant! This is one of the best films not only from last year, but probably the last decade. Unlike many of the people here, I WAS NOT expecting more fantasy, because I read some of the reviews of the film. And as far as the violence, yes some parts of the film are hard to watch, but hey this is during Franco's reign near the end of WW II in Spain. If you knew anything about Spanish history, you'd know what a brutal dictator Franco was, so the violence depicted was all REAL. Actually, it was probably far worse. In any case, this is a must-see, one that will be remembered many years from now. Expand
  44. MichaelH.
    Jan 31, 2007
    The last scene silenced the entire theater in an attempt to translate the meaning of what had been 2 hours of magic.
  45. MarkW.
    Jan 3, 2007
    This powerful film lingers in the heart and mind long after the credits roll. Creative, captivating stroytelling like this is why I go to the movies. Not to be missed. Highly recommended.
  46. TorontoD.
    Jan 30, 2007
    A film like this only comes around every several years. It defies genres and must be viewed with an open mind. The violence is at a horror movie level, so don't go in expecting "Lord of the Rings". I gave it a 9 because it was excellent in all technical and artistic aspects, but I would have personally wanted to see more of the "fantasy" world, to give it a 10. Intense, daring, A film like this only comes around every several years. It defies genres and must be viewed with an open mind. The violence is at a horror movie level, so don't go in expecting "Lord of the Rings". I gave it a 9 because it was excellent in all technical and artistic aspects, but I would have personally wanted to see more of the "fantasy" world, to give it a 10. Intense, daring, beautiful and scary all at the same time. Expand
  47. Daniel
    Jan 5, 2007
    I walked in expecting a fantasy. What I got instead was a film that is achingly, bracingly, vividly about reality. Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy, of all things) writes and directs a breathtaking film that works as fantasy, as history, and as allegory. In the wrong hands, this fanciful story might be indulgent or heavy-handed, but del Toro
  48. GeorgeS.
    Jan 6, 2007
    Phenomenal! Brilliantly written and directed. Brutal reality infused with innocence and fantasy. Reminds us of the power of cinema and why we enjoy the espace movies provide.
  49. Michaelrobinson
    Oct 8, 2007
    I loved this movie. The best movie by far this year. It tells a story that is unforgetable about the choices we make and what will happen if we make the wrong choices. This is what movies should be about. Now a days all they worry about is fancy special effects but this movie focuses on not onlty the special effects but the story. Which is why i really like this movie.
  50. AnneB.
    Feb 11, 2007
    Brilliant on every level. Some viewers said the violence was too "graffic [sp]" and gratuitous. It was necessary, however, to show the extent of the horror from which the child escaped through fantasy. Torture and violence on the part of those in power exist in our modern reality, but we have done a good job of not wanting to see that either.
  51. ChrisT.
    Feb 11, 2007
    I must admit that when I heard this movie was in Spanish with subtitles, I was more than a little hesitant to see it. I took a chance and am most certainly glad I did!. Pan's Labyrinth will join the ranks of one of the best movies I've ever seen. It is truly captivating and spellbinding. As a matter of fact, I'm heading back to the theater today to see it again!
  52. JoeThomas
    Feb 12, 2007
    best of 2006!
  53. HarryK
    Feb 13, 2007
    A film so unbelievably good that Del Toro could retire right now at the young age of 29 and never have to make another film again and his legacy would live on forever.
  54. RobertS.
    Feb 16, 2007
    This movie delivers exactly what it intends to deliver. I didnt expect much from this movie especially with it having subtitles, but left amazed. I shutter to think the impact had I been able to speak the language.
  55. MagnificentB.
    Feb 16, 2007
    One of the best movies I've ever seen. A wonderful story that captures the horrors of war, the evils of facism, and the oftentimes difficult decisions involved in making "moral" choices. Del Toro has finally made a movie that not only delivers on the promise he showed with "The devils Backbone", but actually eclipses it. And to the reviewers who criticized the film for it's One of the best movies I've ever seen. A wonderful story that captures the horrors of war, the evils of facism, and the oftentimes difficult decisions involved in making "moral" choices. Del Toro has finally made a movie that not only delivers on the promise he showed with "The devils Backbone", but actually eclipses it. And to the reviewers who criticized the film for it's blood and violence . . . war and facism, folks! It ain't pretty, it isn't supposed to be pretty, and if you took your kids to see it, what part of "Rated R" did you not understand? Expand
  56. XXXXXXXXX
    Feb 17, 2007
    Anyone who has rated this less than an 8 doesn't know what good movies are. This one is Amazing! Yes, there are some brutal scenes of violence, but its done well and (if you didnt close your eyes) looks very real. This is NOT 90% violence like one reviewer has said. Most of the movie has to do with the little girl's relationship with her mother and her step-dad. There'sAnyone who has rated this less than an 8 doesn't know what good movies are. This one is Amazing! Yes, there are some brutal scenes of violence, but its done well and (if you didnt close your eyes) looks very real. This is NOT 90% violence like one reviewer has said. Most of the movie has to do with the little girl's relationship with her mother and her step-dad. There's part which has to do with her trying to complete her tasks to become the fantasy princess. Just go see it. Make your own judgement. Expand
  57. JFTL
    Feb 17, 2007
    Haunting.... This movie will be in your mind days after you see it.
  58. LizzE.
    Feb 18, 2007
    This movie is rated R. Anyone who thought this was a flick for kids clearly didn't see that bit. Furthermore, the acting is fantastic. The violence is very graphic, but the choice to make the "real world" parts of the film as realistic as possible was a wise one--hollywood BS would have completely ruined it, and made it difficult to differentiate between Ofelia's reality and This movie is rated R. Anyone who thought this was a flick for kids clearly didn't see that bit. Furthermore, the acting is fantastic. The violence is very graphic, but the choice to make the "real world" parts of the film as realistic as possible was a wise one--hollywood BS would have completely ruined it, and made it difficult to differentiate between Ofelia's reality and fantasy. Furthermore, it wouldn't have made it so emotionally stirring. If you're complaining because you though you could take your kids to it, you need to get over it. YOU are responsible for your kids--not everyone else is. Stop being such an entitlement jack ass. Expand
  59. TomA.
    Feb 18, 2007
    This is such an amazing, amazing movie for so many reasons. So good, in fact, that it has been in my dreams for the past few nights. Not since Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers have I felt so alive after watching a film. Also to some of the complainers down bellow: The film is a Gothic fairy tale, meaning it's supposed to be very dark and devoid of humor. That's like criticizing This is such an amazing, amazing movie for so many reasons. So good, in fact, that it has been in my dreams for the past few nights. Not since Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers have I felt so alive after watching a film. Also to some of the complainers down bellow: The film is a Gothic fairy tale, meaning it's supposed to be very dark and devoid of humor. That's like criticizing a comedy for not being scary enough. Yes shooting children is wrong. I'm glad you think so. The movie doesn't portray the act of doing so as correct or "right" in anyway. It troubles me to see such people with such logic. Expand
  60. AnaG.
    Feb 2, 2007
    Masterpiece. Absolutely brilliant! I think is the best film of the year.
  61. Tiffany
    Feb 3, 2007
    Great movie! Very weird, very disturbing, but very good.
  62. JCJC
    Feb 3, 2007
    Celeste R. seems to be missing the point. The characters are supposed to be somewhat one dimensional. This is a modern day fairy tale and a resoundingly brilliant one at that. One of the most memorable and enjoyable experiences at the movies in quite some time. It starts out a bit on the slow side but by the end its hard not be fascinated by all facets of the story as they come together.
  63. Keith
    Feb 4, 2007
    Thanks Celeste! Thanks so much for setting us all straight. You'd think all the critics, what with their fancy smancy degrees and years upon years of viewing and reviewing films could have seen the movie for what it really was. I guess they and all the rest of us who agreed with them are just not as bright as you! You certainly proved your point. I mean, how could every single critic Thanks Celeste! Thanks so much for setting us all straight. You'd think all the critics, what with their fancy smancy degrees and years upon years of viewing and reviewing films could have seen the movie for what it really was. I guess they and all the rest of us who agreed with them are just not as bright as you! You certainly proved your point. I mean, how could every single critic and 99% of those who've see the movie be so wrong?! Expand
  64. MarkR.
    Feb 4, 2007
    Astonishing to see the reactions this film has prompted. Even the rationale behind the lower scores are thought provoking, rare for metacritic boards. As for myself, I believe this to be one of the very finest movies I've ever seen or likely ever will. But not because I think it's perfect. Rather, I think this is a masterpiece because it touched feelings in me that I thought had Astonishing to see the reactions this film has prompted. Even the rationale behind the lower scores are thought provoking, rare for metacritic boards. As for myself, I believe this to be one of the very finest movies I've ever seen or likely ever will. But not because I think it's perfect. Rather, I think this is a masterpiece because it touched feelings in me that I thought had been long buried since childhood, but clearly aren't. There is an alchemy to this film that is breathtaking. I've never seen a film - or filmmaker - so artfully reflect our souls coping with mortality and evil. Without pandering, del Toro imagines the manifestations of wonder that guard us from reality and existential dread, as well as the monsters that rise in sleep from our reptilian fears. More importantly, he shows us these things to reveal the complexity of how we ultimately find hope. In the end, Del Toro creates ambiguity about Ofelia's fantasy, but what's ironic and beautiful and sad and heartbreaking about Pan's Labyrinth is that the movie itself is proof that magic does exist. Expand
  65. J.P.
    Feb 7, 2007
    I'm not sure a movie like this needs much to be said about it. It exists independetly of us, it doesn't need us to live. If you have not seen this movie, I plead with you to go see it. This not a child's film or is it supposed to be. This is a film that despite the violence (the violence is never unnecessary or over-simplified) had me in tears at the end. These were tears I'm not sure a movie like this needs much to be said about it. It exists independetly of us, it doesn't need us to live. If you have not seen this movie, I plead with you to go see it. This not a child's film or is it supposed to be. This is a film that despite the violence (the violence is never unnecessary or over-simplified) had me in tears at the end. These were tears that I had witnessed magic. It has been months since I have seen the movie and it is still with me. This film and Del Toro challenges us to find hope and meaning in violence and innocence as they exist all around us. The balance is always in so much danger of tipping to one side. This movie doesn't need my support; it warrants personal interpretation not mass categorization. Watch this movie and you'll be still for a long time. Expand
  66. TomD.
    Feb 7, 2007
    I would have to say most of the people who have negative words for this movie tend to like the crap that seems to make so much money but nobody really knows why. Example Epic Movie was at tops at the box office.
  67. JayF.
    Feb 8, 2007
    The best film I've ever seen. Period. I don't usually get worked up about these sorts of things, but I've never seen a film as compelling, rich, and beautiful as this one. From start to finish, the performances are perfect, the cinematography is seamless, and the narrative never slows or fizzles. An unmitigated masterpiece.
  68. CraigD.
    Feb 9, 2007
    Great Movie. Some of the special effects are unbelievable.
  69. Hunter
    Feb 9, 2007
    The most amazing movie I have ever seen. Period.
  70. AnonymousMC
    Mar 14, 2007
    I had low expectations for this, as I find many movies that are critically acclaimed to be uninteresting and confusing. But I actually really liked this. Sometimes you're on the edge of your seat, sometimes you're just in awe of all the visual effects. Sometimes it's brutal, sometimes it's just enchanting. Really worth your time and money for this masterpiece.
  71. Kim
    Mar 15, 2007
    Not many movies rate a re-watching after I have seen them. 99.8% of all th stiories today are retreads and schlock. El Labyrinto del Fauno is not only worth every second of film. I will own it, cherish ih and enjoy it Many more times. It is so artfully and caringly crafted, you feel a part of the story. fantasy and brutal reality mix and collide in most fascinating ways. I wish that more Not many movies rate a re-watching after I have seen them. 99.8% of all th stiories today are retreads and schlock. El Labyrinto del Fauno is not only worth every second of film. I will own it, cherish ih and enjoy it Many more times. It is so artfully and caringly crafted, you feel a part of the story. fantasy and brutal reality mix and collide in most fascinating ways. I wish that more would have the care that Del T^oro does for their visions, and ignore that which has become the bane of existance, the MTVGen X/next claptrap. When we as artists create or do something, we need to take that level of pride and craftsmanship seen here, as we essentially are creating our legacy for others to follow. Expand
  72. MichaelA.
    Mar 17, 2007
    Beautiful and Mystifying. There was nothing wrong with this film. I'm surprised and sad to see that this did not win the Oscar for best foreign film. What won me over was the lullaby.
  73. AnastashaC.
    Mar 21, 2007
    The best movie I have ever seen. I have never been so moved by anything in my entire life. Beautiful. Just beautiful.
  74. FutureCritic
    Mar 23, 2007
    This is my second favorite movie of all time. Definatley the best made in my lifetime. The only movie I like better than this is Jurrasic Park, and that is because it is one of the first movies i ever saw. This movie was a masterpeice to be remembered and revered as the godfather or casablanca, different genres, but both are amazingly well done. I am only 13 and i found this movie This is my second favorite movie of all time. Definatley the best made in my lifetime. The only movie I like better than this is Jurrasic Park, and that is because it is one of the first movies i ever saw. This movie was a masterpeice to be remembered and revered as the godfather or casablanca, different genres, but both are amazingly well done. I am only 13 and i found this movie amazing, from how it was shot to the story and acting. Sergi Lopez captured the part of a heartless villain better than any performer ever did, and Ivana Baquero should have the fame of Dakota fanning, that joke of an actress. I was amazed to see it didnt win best foreign film in the oscars, Who would pick "the lives of others" compared to this, what idiots think that heap of crap was comparable to this? The only explaination is that Pans Labrynth isnt the best film of the year, its the best film in the last 15 years. Expand
  75. KayArk
    Mar 3, 2007
    An amazing movie. The best one I've seen this year.
  76. RafaElorduy
    Mar 5, 2007
    As good is this film that everyone who has given it a "10" (including myself of course) don´t have to explain much to say that it is one of the best movies ever made. On the contrary, those who give it a low rating have to explain in more than a thousand words why they were not satisfied by this magical, magnificent masterpiece.
  77. RichardW.
    Mar 9, 2007
    I enjoyed this movie tremendously. It is very powerful. At the conclusion of the movie, my wife's interpretation and my own were different. Consequently it strenghthened my conviction that this truly is a great movie.
  78. KurtisR.
    Apr 14, 2007
    One of the best film of 2006. The idea of magic realism translates onto the film medium with breathtakaing visual veracity and power.
  79. JasonL.
    Apr 19, 2007
    Pan's Labyrinth is simply one of the best movies ever made. The ending scene was simply brilliant, it makes no judgement, and lets you decide if you are sad or elated.
  80. MattP.
    Apr 19, 2007
    Although it is no longer in theaters, it will soon beout on DVD. If you are seventeen or older, and can stomach some pretty brutal scenes, you will be treated to, at least in my opinion, the best movie of 2006
  81. MojoPiN
    Apr 21, 2007
    This movie was as astounding as they say. More so then even the brilliant acting and directing was the mood that was set throughout the entire script. You were able to really place yourself in the beginnings of what was to be Franco's Spain and the whole affair flowed seamlessly. There was no overacting here, no overt Hollywood drama whose formula is old and tired. It was genuine, This movie was as astounding as they say. More so then even the brilliant acting and directing was the mood that was set throughout the entire script. You were able to really place yourself in the beginnings of what was to be Franco's Spain and the whole affair flowed seamlessly. There was no overacting here, no overt Hollywood drama whose formula is old and tired. It was genuine, believable and most of all inspiring. A beautiful flick for anyone to see, even the most alpha of males. Expand
  82. MattB.
    Apr 30, 2007
    One of the most moving pictures I have ever seen. Unique, creative, and memorable. Simply put, it was amazing.
  83. RyanTerry
    May 15, 2007
    I loved everything about this movie. Incredibly imaginative. It takes you to a whole other world.
  84. PatrickD.
    May 15, 2007
    Stunning film that should have won Best Picture. Along with United 93 and Children of Men, it was one of the best films of the past decade let alone the year of 2006. What all those 3 films have in common is what people do when confronted when society is falling apart. This film is worth the emotional investment
  85. ChadSwee
    May 16, 2007
    Pan's Labyrinth, a film (written and directed) by Guillermo del Toro (Blade 2 and Hellboy), is a memorable, unique, and adventurous movie that excells in many aspects. The plot revolves around a young spanish (and that's Spain spanish, not Mexico spanish) girl, Ofelia, whose mother has been widowed and is now moving in with her new husband who happens to be the captain of aPan's Labyrinth, a film (written and directed) by Guillermo del Toro (Blade 2 and Hellboy), is a memorable, unique, and adventurous movie that excells in many aspects. The plot revolves around a young spanish (and that's Spain spanish, not Mexico spanish) girl, Ofelia, whose mother has been widowed and is now moving in with her new husband who happens to be the captain of a fascist group that overtook Spain. The captain plays the role of a ruthless ruler, similiar to that of the Nazi in Schindler's List. The actor plays this character flawlessly, but he is not the only person who brings a good acting performance to the table. The mother, doctor, maid and many others perfectly play their parts also, with the exception of the lead character, Ofelia. Ofelia comes off as a very dull and undramatic young girl, roughly the age of 12, eventhough she is supposed to be full of imagination. She has a passion for fairy tales, and as she witnesses the violent nature of the captain and his group she uses her mind to escape reality. This movie, in all actuality, is a fairy tale for adults. The plot is interesting, and definately a fresh breath of air compared to recent films that keep using revenge as a motive for every last thing. From a directing stand point Pan's Labyrinth is amazing. It's gorgeous to watch, exciting to watch, and, most importantly, fun to watch. Pan's Labyrinth may not blow you away, but is ultimately a great movie. It gets, on a scale of one to ten, five being average, a nine.
    Oh and just a little fore-warning, this movie is in spanish and therefore you have to read english subtitles. This may shy people away from watching it, but by no means should you let this one go simply because of having to read subtitles.
  86. TriciaR.
    May 17, 2007
    I have spent almost as long reading these comments as I did watching the film - fascinating. Maybe the distinguishing feature of art is that 'all or nothing' engagement on many levels. Genius doesn't have to be perfect.
  87. JoeZ.
    May 18, 2007
    This is an oustanding film which is deeply moving. when I left the theatre I felt like my emotional stability had been put through the ringer, but only to emerge stronger in the end. For me this film really evoked one of those expreriences where you are so wrapped in the drama that the consequences of the story feel real. Excellent.
  88. ArielL.
    May 22, 2007
    This movie is just absolutely wonderful in every way, from its beautifully executed shot of every frame to it's acting and story. I'm previleged to see these wonderful films made outside of the US that have so much depth and originally. I think my next one will be Once.
  89. BlakeW.
    May 20, 2007
    This is a fantastic film. Anyone who thinks it may be flawed in some way are just wrong. Anyone may like or dislike any film, but even if you disliked it, you must recognize that it is perfectly executed and fantastically beautiful in both its story and visuals. If you don't realize this there is something wrong with you...seriously.
  90. JayA
    May 24, 2007
    Great movie. Stirring, violent, emotional and fantastical. Ivana Baquero is a wonderful actress and the whole story is well thought-out and incredibly well executed by the whole cast.
  91. BruceQ.
    May 24, 2007
    One of the best movies that I saw in 2006. My wife and I were still talking about it days later. It is not surprising that this movie has already reached #41 on IMDB's top 250 movies of all time list - it certainly deserves the high praise it has received. Some viewers might be put off by the brutal scenes and it is certainly not young kids (the R-rating is a clue people!) Pan's One of the best movies that I saw in 2006. My wife and I were still talking about it days later. It is not surprising that this movie has already reached #41 on IMDB's top 250 movies of all time list - it certainly deserves the high praise it has received. Some viewers might be put off by the brutal scenes and it is certainly not young kids (the R-rating is a clue people!) Pan's Labyrinth is beautiful, thrilling and poignant. Unless you are looking for Disney fare or think films with subtitles are too taxing, you will enthralled. Expand
  92. PhilO.
    May 30, 2007
    A masterpiece which inextricably links fantasy, drama, suspense, horror, and socio-political history to perfection, which instructs us of the malevolent nature of man, but also of the redeeming, hopeful and powerful force of imagination. A display of on-screen magic perfectly crafted by Del Toro.
  93. LisbethJ.
    Jun 19, 2007
    Great movie. Really beautiful and touching. I wouldn't give it the highest vote though, because it's not the best movie I've ever seen, but it's very good. If you like movies that are visual stunning, has an adventurous story and will move you, you should watch it. If you only like action packed comedy or movies that will leave you with a happy feeling, you Great movie. Really beautiful and touching. I wouldn't give it the highest vote though, because it's not the best movie I've ever seen, but it's very good. If you like movies that are visual stunning, has an adventurous story and will move you, you should watch it. If you only like action packed comedy or movies that will leave you with a happy feeling, you shouldn't watch it. Expand
  94. MatthewH.
    Jun 20, 2007
    I do not believe this movie was ever over hyped, for e.g star wars episode1 suffered greatly to over-hyping, what this movie got was critical acclaim. The difference being, this film was not forced down our throats with advertising, but instead critics and people all found the film highly enjoyable. That said, going into it i was scared of the fact it was subtitled might distract me away I do not believe this movie was ever over hyped, for e.g star wars episode1 suffered greatly to over-hyping, what this movie got was critical acclaim. The difference being, this film was not forced down our throats with advertising, but instead critics and people all found the film highly enjoyable. That said, going into it i was scared of the fact it was subtitled might distract me away from the on screen fun, I'm happy to say it didn't, in fact helped the story feel even more of an escape. It is a fairy tale for adults, and one which i believe should be seen by everyone. Expand
  95. JordanR.
    Jun 21, 2007
    Instantly in my top 5. Emotionally complex and dark, not a kids movie, although for adults this film is wildly entertaining and insightful to our own inner child as we find courage to face our biggest fears and challenges every day. Beautifully crafted with unexpected and likable (though not all human) characters, spot on acting, and brilliant cinematography brings a unique blend of drama Instantly in my top 5. Emotionally complex and dark, not a kids movie, although for adults this film is wildly entertaining and insightful to our own inner child as we find courage to face our biggest fears and challenges every day. Beautifully crafted with unexpected and likable (though not all human) characters, spot on acting, and brilliant cinematography brings a unique blend of drama & suspense like no other film I've seen before. Expand
  96. PeterJ.
    Jun 22, 2007
    Excellent movie. This film had every possible emotion in it and played it out perfectly. The guy that gave it a two would probably enjoy NORBIT.
  97. MegB.
    Jun 26, 2007
    Excellent film, very well done. Much darker than I expected. I've recommended it to several people since I saw it.
  98. Abbyl
    Jun 28, 2007
    This movie was beyond my greatest expectations. I would recommend this movie to anyone and everyone who likes a mind blowing movie. It was intense and very real, but magical.
  99. MarkB.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Excellent film, through and through. For the few people who posted on here and said that it was filled with unnecessary violence: I agree and I disagree, and I think you missed the point. Here's what I mean: The entire point is that the violence IS unnecessary, and ultimately inconsequential. But it was necessary for the director to show this violence because he's making a point Excellent film, through and through. For the few people who posted on here and said that it was filled with unnecessary violence: I agree and I disagree, and I think you missed the point. Here's what I mean: The entire point is that the violence IS unnecessary, and ultimately inconsequential. But it was necessary for the director to show this violence because he's making a point about fascism. It is necessary to see that the consequences of blind obedience and fascism is unnecessary and meaningless deaths. Get it? Expand
  100. AdrianneZ.
    Jul 1, 2007
    If you love fantasy you'll love this movie, if you hate fantasy you'll still love this movie. One of the best movies I have ever seen. This movie executes everything it tries to do perfectly. The beautiful thing is even though this whole movie is in Spanish, you understand it all.

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Pan's Labyrinth artfully fuses a war film with a family melodrama and a fairy tale. The result is visually stunning and emotionally shattering.
  2. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Dark, twisted and beautiful, this entwines fairy-tale fantasy with war-movie horror to startling effect.
    One of the greatest of all fantasy films.