Pan's Labyrinth

8.6

1. MichaelN.
    Jan 20, 2007
    I think this was an allegory about the rebirth of Spain after the Franco years. I lived in the country in the '80s and what happened after Franco died was born in the years this movie takes place. It's too much to go into here, but it seems to fit very well.
  2. SamB.
    Jul 20, 2008
    A very entertaining movie with some violence and a fantastic fairy tale central story.
  3. SherryB.
    Feb 18, 2007
    I loved this movie one of the best I've seen in a long time, not for small children though this is a film for adults, I think alot of people forget that this is set in a period where times were tough and you have to work to survive. Highly recommened.
  4. AliceM.
    Jul 11, 2008
    The most beautiful and shocking film I've ever seen. It's incredibly imaginative, with a perfect mixture of fantasy and reality interwoven. I can't really fault it. I was genuinely moved by it, it even got me crying. If you're feeling strong enough for some very serious cinema, I highly recommend it.
  5. AdrianB.
    Feb 10, 2009
    The only movie you need to see before you die
  6. JRMM
    Jan 3, 2010
    Few movies are perfect: Pan's Labyrinth is one of the perfect ones. Truly one of the greatest fantasy films ever made. Among my top 20 favorite films of all time.
  7. Rebecca
    Jan 15, 2007
    This movie wasn't what I was expecting coming into it. I did not read up on the movie because I did not want the plot spoiled, so I missed the part where it said it was subtitled. I do not mind subtitles, but was not expecting it for this movie. Other than that I really enjoyed the plot and the visual effects. It was shocking, gritty and had me on the edge of my seat. I will be This movie wasn't what I was expecting coming into it. I did not read up on the movie because I did not want the plot spoiled, so I missed the part where it said it was subtitled. I do not mind subtitles, but was not expecting it for this movie. Other than that I really enjoyed the plot and the visual effects. It was shocking, gritty and had me on the edge of my seat. I will be buying this movie when it comes out on DVD. Expand
  8. NicholasW.
    Oct 21, 2007
    Ya, I guess I can't understand the low ratings either, I guess if the moive wasn't for you...than an 8 maybe..I haven't seen many movies this good...this is a really good movie- period- the 4's I see I just can't make sense of...definitely worthy of a 98
  9. SeanS.
    Jan 22, 2007
    Wow. Pan's Labyrinth is easily the finest movie I've seen this year. The deck is stacked against it (see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon), but this is a foreign language film finer than most Best Picture winners and quite clearly deserving of the award.
  10. AlexS.
    Jan 24, 2007
    Breathtaking, I liken it to a Miyazaki film. Just utterly fantastic and unforgettable.
  11. PatK.
    Jan 26, 2007
    If you expect a fantasy film, keep in mind fantasy is more than Tolkein and Lewis. Before them, fantasy and folklore were about the darker aspects of life and developed to attempt to explain the unexplainable cruelty, capricious and uncaring aspects of life. This movie is every bit a fantasy in this respect. Like the labyrinth (not the "maze" but the religious version, pictured on the If you expect a fantasy film, keep in mind fantasy is more than Tolkein and Lewis. Before them, fantasy and folklore were about the darker aspects of life and developed to attempt to explain the unexplainable cruelty, capricious and uncaring aspects of life. This movie is every bit a fantasy in this respect. Like the labyrinth (not the "maze" but the religious version, pictured on the floor of the chamber) each person's life is an attempt to navigate an often tortuous path without a clear destination - every character in this film does so, with those falling away suffering the physical and metaphysical consequences of doing so. The fixing of the broken watch, the pantomimed versus real knife-at-the-throat moments, the echoes upon echoes all suffuse the film with, like many a fairy tale, implied choice and consequence. I cannot wait for the DVD to continue to explore the many character contrasts in the film, and number del Toro amongst the truly great storytellers. If you went in expecting mindless fluff, you haven't seen a del Toro film before. He is a craftsman in an era of shallow and artless direction. Expand
  12. AbeV.
    Jan 28, 2007
    This was a brilliant movie. I really can't say enough great things about this film except that I loved it. Ever since seeing the preview I knew I had to see it, and it didn't let me down. It was every bit as tragic and glorious as I'd hoped. I think it may be one of the greatest accomplishments of cinema thus far.
  13. JohnA.
    Jan 7, 2007
    I was fascinated by this film - Ivana Baquero evoked all the horrors of a child caught up in the European (Spanish) 20th Century. It wrenches us between the brutal real world with that of a girl's fantasy - or is it a fantasy? A gut-wrenching film that left me stunned - something that rarely happens any more to this jaded old guy...
  14. LarryM.
    Feb 3, 2007
    A great movie, but not for the squemish.
  15. DanaM.
    Feb 4, 2007
    I don't usually give movies 10s. But this one is special. Savage at times, mystical fantasy thorughout, this is a must see. Be ready to read the subtitles, but worth the effort.
  16. KuldeepT.
    Feb 5, 2007
    An amazing visionary movie. A masterpiece. American cinema has been needing some re-invigoration and with no surprise it comes from outside the establishment. The striking analogy to today's headlines and political climate should not be missed (i.e. military fascism, torture etc). This is a real contribution to the art of cinema, a landmark film.
  17. Darius
    Feb 6, 2007
    The film was mesmerizing. Brilliant political allegories and biblical parables, makes this a hard-to-miss-film. absolutely beautiful.
  18. TrevorM.
    Mar 1, 2007
    The best movie of the year- beautiful, magical, haunting, and suspensful. Who knew bloody and beautiful would be in the same movie??
  19. BretG.
    Mar 2, 2007
    It's not often you see anything with a score this high on Metacritic, so I just had to see this movie and I was awestruck. At every point in the movie I was either contemplating "what this is" or "what this could be", gasping in utter horrorstricken suspense or gripping my seat, ect. Truly a great and very original movie. Although I half expected David Bowie to pop out at anytime to It's not often you see anything with a score this high on Metacritic, so I just had to see this movie and I was awestruck. At every point in the movie I was either contemplating "what this is" or "what this could be", gasping in utter horrorstricken suspense or gripping my seat, ect. Truly a great and very original movie. Although I half expected David Bowie to pop out at anytime to sing "Dance magic dance!" This is a movie that certainly doesnt disappoint, unless you want to see Davie Bowie pop out to sing "Dance magic dance!" maybe in spanish, theres nothing wrong with that I guess. David Bowie is cool man. Expand
  20. WilliamM.
    Mar 24, 2007
    Perfect film, a beautiful story with a brilliant ending. Best film I've seen in a very long time.
  21. JoeAverage
    Mar 5, 2007
    Off the top of my head, 'bittersweet' and 'lyrical' are two adjectives that come to mind. Could come up with countless more. Will stay with you forever...
  22. KidA.
    Mar 9, 2007
    This is the most beautiful film I have ever seen.
  23. MelissaW.
    Mar 9, 2007
    The best film I have seen in the past 5 years. Del Toro has finally achieved the perfection he was close to in Devil's Backbone. After a few dull years I am actually inspired by the medium again.
  24. JackL.
    May 20, 2007
    Wow. This isn't a fantasy movie like it seems to be getting labled, but it is a masterpiece. It's got such an amazing amount of depth, and a story that is just as stunning as its visuals, and thats saying a lot. They're not as off the wall crazy as Lord of the Rings, they're more akin to a great painting. Simple and beautiful. If this film doesn't move you Wow. This isn't a fantasy movie like it seems to be getting labled, but it is a masterpiece. It's got such an amazing amount of depth, and a story that is just as stunning as its visuals, and thats saying a lot. They're not as off the wall crazy as Lord of the Rings, they're more akin to a great painting. Simple and beautiful. If this film doesn't move you emotionally, and hit your soul like a ton of bricks, than you're a complete, heartless monster. And I'm dead serous about that. Expand
  25. RobertH.
    May 30, 2007
    An uncompromising fantasy epic. One of the very best of 2006.
  26. Drew
    May 7, 2007
    Honestly this is one of the best movies I've ever seen. Superbly acted, and written, this movie is just masterfully crafted around reality and an escape from the rough life of a young spanish girl who is living through Franco's Spain in 1944. Just a great movie, do yourself a favor and watch it.
  27. BradC
    Jun 25, 2007
    Perfect. Instant classic. Movies do not get any better then this.
  28. AbbyL
    Jul 20, 2007
    First I have to say great movie, second I agree with Lena, third it bothers me that people watch movies they know they're not going to like and then give them low scores. This film, as many have said, is the perfect mix of so many polar opposites. It is truly amazing how Del Toro actually pulls this movie off with such grace. I do believe that this movie deserves this score, it was First I have to say great movie, second I agree with Lena, third it bothers me that people watch movies they know they're not going to like and then give them low scores. This film, as many have said, is the perfect mix of so many polar opposites. It is truly amazing how Del Toro actually pulls this movie off with such grace. I do believe that this movie deserves this score, it was breath taking... and the end?! Oh the ending was... well I won't spoil it but I left that movie feeling upset for Ofelia. Anyways the point is the movie is wonderful and no matter what there will always be that one person saying to the most universally acclaimed film, "It sucked, don't watch it." But always trust the minority or just watch whatever you like watching. Expand
  29. LaurenU
    Jul 20, 2007
    Very good movie, very compelling. And to say that I claimed it was good simply because someone told me it was is a lie. I can think for myself and watch a good movie. And yes critics usually rate foreign films high, but look at the sheer originality of those films, my opinion is that a lot of american directors either take a book and make a terrible movie, take a play and make a decent Very good movie, very compelling. And to say that I claimed it was good simply because someone told me it was is a lie. I can think for myself and watch a good movie. And yes critics usually rate foreign films high, but look at the sheer originality of those films, my opinion is that a lot of american directors either take a book and make a terrible movie, take a play and make a decent movie, or remake a foreign film and everyone loves it. Expand
  30. MiriamM
    Jul 6, 2007
    Simply stunning. Nuff said.

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Pan's Labyrinth artfully fuses a war film with a family melodrama and a fairy tale. The result is visually stunning and emotionally shattering.
  2. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Dark, twisted and beautiful, this entwines fairy-tale fantasy with war-movie horror to startling effect.
    One of the greatest of all fantasy films.