Focus Features | Release Date: August 17, 2012
8.4
Universal acclaim based on 399 Ratings
WATCH NOW
BikerjamesSep 17, 2012
I wanted to like this film. I'm a big fan of animation so I go to most new releases. Animated films with the message of tolerance are always welcome, but this film was too slow paced and unfunny for my taste. Most of the jokes were clicheI wanted to like this film. I'm a big fan of animation so I go to most new releases. Animated films with the message of tolerance are always welcome, but this film was too slow paced and unfunny for my taste. Most of the jokes were cliche and fell flat, and it was predictable. The realistic jokes about watching "sex and violence" on TV and the admission of the teenage boy being gay did not bother me at all unlike some other reviewers, but overall the movie needed more humor. The look of the movie was great. I don't understand people's negative reviews about the teenage girl being rebellious. Most teenage girls ARE rebellious (many animated flicks have shown this including Pixar's " The Incredibles"). I thought "Coraline" was a better film for adults, and this one did not hold my interest as well. Expand
kirkkhDec 6, 2012
Ugh, Paraboring zzzz... The most entertaining part of this movie was the end credit song, thassa-not-good. If you like watching spectacle without plot or interesting stuff going down, then you'll love this, and Sucker-Punch and Prometheus.
beingryanjudeOct 14, 2014
It's hard to knock the premise of ParaNorman. A touch of history with a unique Halloween touch, it's likable and fun. Unfortunately, the film is surprisingly disappointing throughout.
SantiagoMAKiiNASep 17, 2012
This will be short and sweet. I'm a fan of animation. The trailer was enough to get me in the seat, but the movie... not so much. I really wanted this to be good. But, when it's not there, well... it wasn't.
Still, this doesn't mean you
Still, this doesn't mean you shouldn't play it for your five year old. They seem to respond well to moving objects of various colors. So, this movie will do just fine. For the accompanying adult, though, a shot of whisky pre-film will probably be a good move. Trust me.
One thing did leave a positive impression. The marketing campaign for the film. The posters. The figures in display at the theaters. And, specially, the imagery that accompanies the closing credits of the film. Phenomenal stuff. Thumbs up to the art and marketing team.
mwillSep 28, 2012
The trailers made this movie look funny and worth seeing. In reality it was neither. Minimal humor which may be because it was obviously not written for adults. Most animated movies contain material for both children and adults, this oneThe trailers made this movie look funny and worth seeing. In reality it was neither. Minimal humor which may be because it was obviously not written for adults. Most animated movies contain material for both children and adults, this one didn't. We were so bored we considered leaving or switching to another movie. The look was fine, nothing special. The content was slow, obvious and far too many butt shots. Based on the other ratings here, my date and I am in the minority. This was such a waste of time and money that I'm considering asking the theater for my money back. As it isn't their fault maybe I'll ask Laika. I do leave in the area. Expand
birdman3Nov 14, 2012
The movie was enjoyable and had beautiful cinematography- however, I feel that the plot was not well paced and the writing was not particularly good. There were some funny parts, some flat parts, but the overall experience is positive. IThe movie was enjoyable and had beautiful cinematography- however, I feel that the plot was not well paced and the writing was not particularly good. There were some funny parts, some flat parts, but the overall experience is positive. I wouldn't pay full ticket price and won't own for my home collection, but it's worth renting or borrowing once. Expand
HenryZambranoDec 27, 2012
"ParaNorman" is joyous and quite surprising in its quirky wit. The animation is splendor - but needless to say, the film moves tediously to a broad ending.
dollarsignJun 4, 2013
"ParaNorman" has a general, basic plot that incorporates thematic elements that are foreign to the entire demographic scope.

The only thing that this animation can gloat about is its cohesive (albeit elementary) story board. At least we know that the writers went to college...
TrilobiteGAug 18, 2013
Paranorman was quite an odd film for me. I am I huge fan of Coraline so when I saw this advertised I thought I would like it the same. I wasn't quite right however. The animation was great and all and they sure put together a good cast but IParanorman was quite an odd film for me. I am I huge fan of Coraline so when I saw this advertised I thought I would like it the same. I wasn't quite right however. The animation was great and all and they sure put together a good cast but I just couldn't find myself to like it a lot. I felt like the film was very enclosed and in a certain space like the characters were just talking and not travelling. I don't like how films intertwine a love story in the film on purpose just to 'relate to everyone'. People are not going to watch Paranorman to see a love story, they will rent 'The Notebook' or something. It just doesn't work when you put love into this type of comic horror film, it just turns out to be cheesy. I know the love story was only a small portion of the film put it seemed to stick with me the most, not the main plot. So, Paranorman is ok but it isn't as good as Coraline that's for sure! Expand
BrianMcCriticMar 14, 2013
A lot like Frankenweenie I enjoyed a good chunk of this movie, but there are just to many plot lines that don't work. This animation is good enough to recommend.
cag11Jan 2, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have nothing really against this move, because it was actually kind of decent. Sure, it wasn't exactly as I was expecting, because I expected an army, instead I get just a small group of colonial zombies. Let alone my expectations for this were too high, it was still a time killer. Expand