7.9

1. Jun 22, 2013
    A fun filled adventure that just proves you don't come between a man and his bike. A solid start in the very mixed directorial career of Mr. Tim Burton.
  2. May 12, 2012
    I find it so funny. This movie has a different style compared to most comedies. Overall, the story here is thin ice, but the humor is great.
  3. Aug 11, 2011
    I find it astonishing that this film, Tim Burton's directorial debut Pee-wee's Big Adventure, has such a low score here at Metacritic. Although I'm not the biggest fan of Burton's style and find his work to be mostly overrated, this movie is a masterpiece of camp that led to one of the greatest 'children's shows' of all-time, Pee-Wee's Playhouse. The deadpan humor never gets old..

Everything about Pee-wee's Big Adventure, from its toy-box colors to its superb, hyperanimated Danny Elfman score to the butch-waxed hairdo and wooden-puppet walk of its star and mastermind, Pee-wee Herman, is pure pleasure.
  2. Pee-Wee's Big Adventure is the most barren comedy I've seen in years, maybe ever.
  3. Reviewed by: Staff (Not Credited)
    Children should love the film and adults will be dismayed by the light brushstrokes with which Paul Reubens (one of three credited screenwriters, but star-billed under his stage name, Pee-wee Herman) suggests touches of Buster Keaton and Eddie Cantor.