7.6

1. RegisteredIndependentJoel
    Sep 26, 2003
    Smart, edgy, paranoid and interesting, unlike any other movie I've ever seen. The ending is a bit of a letdown, which is the only reason I don't give it a 10. Highly recommended.
  2. DylanB.
    Feb 8, 2006
    This a most entertaining and dynamic film, beautifully use of chairoscuro lighting in the shots with a plot which commands ones interest throughout! Though I find in places that it is poorly researched and contains minor flaws in factuality, causality and continuity.
  3. DanielC.
    Jul 11, 2006
    Confusing Plot? Maybe, but repeat viewings are very enjoyable. The sound effects and the drum & bass soundtrack are completely awesome. The filming was so very well done. Utterly unique. We see the simplicity of the circle and the maddening complexity of Pi - 3.141 off in to infinity.
  4. NinjaMafia
    Feb 16, 2004
    Smart, clever, disturbing. All are words that can define this modern day classic of chaos. A math genius has spent years upon years of trying to find a pattern in the stock market. However, corrupt journalists, and a psycopathic cult want him for their own needs. The journalists want the stock market pattern so that they could have ultimate power over it. The cult, while not so much of a Smart, clever, disturbing. All are words that can define this modern day classic of chaos. A math genius has spent years upon years of trying to find a pattern in the stock market. However, corrupt journalists, and a psycopathic cult want him for their own needs. The journalists want the stock market pattern so that they could have ultimate power over it. The cult, while not so much of a cult as a crazed jewish following, beleive that he can find out Gods true name. The film was brialliantly shot in black and white. Although, there were some scenes that were extremely confusing because of the constant rocking camera. The ending is shocking. I would be skeptical if people didn't do this in his situation. Not a perfect film by all means. There were some things that were too confusing and probably would take repeated viewings to undersatnd. Overall, this movie seems to be extremely underated and must be seen by all who can stand a confusing plot. Expand
  5. JonhF.
    Mar 17, 2006
    Very good movie. The script was well written and complex, and made this a very insightful character study. The acting was solid, and the directing was, well, gritty, but I mean that in a good way.
  6. SaTaN
    Jul 8, 2006
    I love this movie! It is truly a work of art.
  7. AmanA.
    Mar 15, 2007
    Interesting and thought provoking movie... slightly disturbing.. but a fun watch.
  8. Nov 7, 2010
    Pi has an strange and stressful atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, this is an unique accomplishment done only by Aronosky. He has the ability to maintain us worried all the time during almost all the movie. Here, we can see his first famous hip-hop montage and the use of the snorricam. Flirting with cyberpunk over moments, Pi combines thriller with religious and cosmic themes and thePi has an strange and stressful atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, this is an unique accomplishment done only by Aronosky. He has the ability to maintain us worried all the time during almost all the movie. Here, we can see his first famous hip-hop montage and the use of the snorricam. Flirting with cyberpunk over moments, Pi combines thriller with religious and cosmic themes and the dangerous outcome if discovered by a sole individual. Shot in black and white and with an intense score by Mansell, Pi is really an excellent piece of art. Expand
  9. May 27, 2012
    This is one of those atmospheric, creepy movies that grabs you and doesn't let go. I seem to love (The Wrestler, Pi) or hate (Black Swan, The Fountain) Aronofsky's films, but admire the visuals even in the ones I don't like. I always look forward to seeing his next film, and I can't say that about every director. The lead in this film, Sean Gullette, is excellent, as is the rest of theThis is one of those atmospheric, creepy movies that grabs you and doesn't let go. I seem to love (The Wrestler, Pi) or hate (Black Swan, The Fountain) Aronofsky's films, but admire the visuals even in the ones I don't like. I always look forward to seeing his next film, and I can't say that about every director. The lead in this film, Sean Gullette, is excellent, as is the rest of the cast. I really liked the camera work and LOVED the soundtrack with the creepy noises throughout. The story, how everything in the universe can be explained by mathematics was intriguing. I really enjoyed the film and would watch it again. Expand
  10. Sep 13, 2013
    The best word describing this movie is "disturbing". This is a psychological thriller made in black and white colors. Stylish visuals. Rather unusual movie, I've seen nothing like this before, surely worth watching. Another thing great OST with Clint Mansell's main theme.
  11. Jan 24, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the very under-appreciated films. Darren Aronofsky's Pi (1998) is every bit original as it is unique. It's dark, convoluted, twisted and artistic. Most of the critics have misunderstood the genius of the film. It's a film about the pain that accompanies passion and the fine line between madness and genius. It's about an obsessive mathematician Max Coen who's success comes hand in hand with his demise. He's desperate to know the truth behind a mystical code he encountered whilst trying to predict the stock market and he brings great pain to himself in search of that truth. The ending where he gives it up and rather just sits down patiently, enjoying the image of swirling trees and playing games with the little girl is as beautiful and powerful an ending as I've seen in a while. Anything that even in the slightest and subtle way strays from the conventionality of hollywood films today is not well received. Pi is great. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Diones
    Aronofsky's delirious, Kafkaesque writing and imaginatively distorted camerawork don't quite add up, but it's fascinating, hallucinogenic film work.
    In the end, it's primarily a brain teaser, obtuse and ultimately limited in its emotional impact.
  3. It is a brilliant intellectual adventure that fans of bold independent filmmaking will want to experience, even though the ending is something of a letdown.