7.0

1. BrianA.
    Jul 8, 2006
    I liked the first film enough, but I feel like this movie is just a crude, overlengthy, and boring sequel that was written in a few minutes, and filmed in about as many. Nothing in the film is that impressive, the characters don't really grow or flesh out, and the CGI is second rate. Reminds me of another trilogy of films that started out really great, and then got worse and worse as I liked the first film enough, but I feel like this movie is just a crude, overlengthy, and boring sequel that was written in a few minutes, and filmed in about as many. Nothing in the film is that impressive, the characters don't really grow or flesh out, and the CGI is second rate. Reminds me of another trilogy of films that started out really great, and then got worse and worse as they went on (Matrix anyone?) Expand
  2. JasmineJ.
    Jul 11, 2006
    I can't believe anyone would call this their favorite movie of all time. It was loud, obnoxious and pointless. Best movie of the year? Try most annoying disappointment of the year. Pirates 1 was great. This chapter was on the other hand, a great bore.
  3. JohnnyB.
    Jul 10, 2006
    I had a very hard time sitting through this movie. It was all over the place, frenzied, but not fun. I gave it a 1 because the visuals were sometimes good, but if not for that i would give it a zero. Painful to sit through once, and i won't subject myself to Pirates3.
    Jul 7, 2006
    Too long, and with no plot to speak of. It wasn't even laughably bad.
  5. DaniA.
    Jul 9, 2006
    Coming into the movie theater I was ready for another spine tingling beginning like the first, hearing a little girls quiet voice over the waves, singing the song that you would most likely hear at a bar, in an innocent, almost dreamy manner, "Yo, ho, Yo, ho a pirates life for me...." Instead, we start off with Elizabeth, standing sopping wet in the pouring rain, at what we almost Coming into the movie theater I was ready for another spine tingling beginning like the first, hearing a little girls quiet voice over the waves, singing the song that you would most likely hear at a bar, in an innocent, almost dreamy manner, "Yo, ho, Yo, ho a pirates life for me...." Instead, we start off with Elizabeth, standing sopping wet in the pouring rain, at what we almost instantly know is a wedding, her wedding. At first I'm thinking, "where are all the guests?", then, "has she been stood up at the alter?" then, "...what? But what jolted me out of my confusion, and into pure dumbfoundment was a mob of English soldiers storming through the large doors with Will, and I'm still not sure whats happening! The entire movie draged on for WAYY longer than it should, and then at the end I came out wondering what the heck everyone had said! The dialouge was completely incoherent, I literally could not understand a word that some of the pirates uttered! All I have to say is that this was a catastrophy and that (unlike Pirates 1) I would not go see it again. Expand
  6. SorenS.
    Aug 9, 2006
    I dislike the movie very much. I expect lot more than this, but in return got nothing! Very nonoriginal. The kind of thing I wish Hollywood doesn't make anymore. Because I look for moves that is smart. Which this movie is dumb. I am sorry.
  7. Nathan
    Jul 10, 2006
    One of the worst movies I've seen so far this summer. It was slow, boring, and overly long. This movie was a huge dissappointment. Don't go to the theater to see it. Wait til dvd, or better yet don't see it at all.
  8. Leigh
    Jul 13, 2006
    After enduring meandering, tedious subplot after meandering, tedious subplot the film finally reveals the actual plot, just in time to roll the credits. Too many dull distractions serve only to litter and confuse the otherwise stale and overused pirate puns and the acting-by-numbers performances. Apparently the cinema manager isn't able to give me back my 2 1/2 hours...be warned.
  9. BeciyW.
    Jul 10, 2006
    Great effects, just too much of them. This very long half of a movie (the other half will be coming along soon) could have used a clearer plotline and been an hour shorter. I hope the island witch-doctor lady isn't back for the third movie, or that they give her subtitles; I couldn't understand a word she said in her island accent. Next time, more Depp, less schlep!
  10. PaulB.
    Jul 9, 2006
    Long and boring. Not a funny as the first one and much darker.
  11. CalTran
    Aug 27, 2006
    It was so bad i went to the bathroom twice, and the second time i didn't even need to. I just needed a break from the rediculousness. I didn't fall asleep but I wish I had. It would have made the time pass faster. Save your money. This ones a turkey.
  12. DuayneJ.
    Sep 6, 2006
    Very boring and lame. Lots of effects, if you care about that.
  13. Jared
    Jul 11, 2006
    To sum it up in a sentence: Contained within the movie is a great movie but its buried or more appropriately drowned in subplots, excessive action sequences, terrible pacing, and silly fish pirates.
  14. PhilipW.
    Jul 10, 2006
    This was a pathetic attempt at Adventure for Adventure's sake. Anyone who likes this film is a vacuous imp. Do us a favor, film-makers, please spare us from the inevitable roasted feces that one should expect in the final installment.
  15. AngM.
    Jul 22, 2006
    "Dead Man's Chest" was dumbed-down yet hard to follow. Hardly any of the plot elements made sense, the monstrous characters' (including Capt. Jack) accents were at times impossible to understand, and the lull in excitement in the film's middle hour was unbearable. I can't believe this mess was the best Verbinski could do with this unique franchise. I feel ripped off.
  16. ChadK.
    Aug 1, 2006
    This movie was total suckage. Maybe I'm not the best judge since I didn't like the first movie all that much either. But this one was way worse. At least I saw the first movie on dvd. I'm mad at myself for wasting my hard earned money on this one at the theater.
  17. D.S.
    Aug 10, 2006
    I know captain johnny depp is a confused man but did the movie have to be so directionless? expected a lot more especially since the first one was so great. will not go see the third in the theater!
  18. ShineP.
    Aug 16, 2006
    There was very little to no story. It was like running around in a circle for two and a half hours. In the end, nothing is resolved. This is one long, pointless, protracted trailer for Pirates III, a movie, by the way, that I won't be seeing.
  19. JaredW.
    Aug 4, 2006
    Very impressive special fx, but far too long as a result of the studio's wish to splash as many of said fx on the screen as possible, and extremely hard to follow since it introduces all sorts of plot points & blood lines that don't carry any weight to them; it's obvious the entanglements just serve to perpetuate the franchise. Not enough time spent with Johnny Depp, which Very impressive special fx, but far too long as a result of the studio's wish to splash as many of said fx on the screen as possible, and extremely hard to follow since it introduces all sorts of plot points & blood lines that don't carry any weight to them; it's obvious the entanglements just serve to perpetuate the franchise. Not enough time spent with Johnny Depp, which is why so many people like the first, and too much time rendering fx. A very uncomfortable 2.5 hours. Expand
  20. Simon
    Aug 6, 2006
    Finally saw this thing. What a mistake! Johnny Depp was ok, but i liked him in Edward Scissorhands much more. The drunk captain routine was original and new in the first movie, but not in this one. Most of the actors' performances felt like going through the paces. How such a B-O-R-I-N-G movie has made so much money, i can't explain. Did I mention that it's terribly boring?
  21. MusicaliD.
    Aug 9, 2006
    I agree with Simon. This movie is dreadfully boring. I loved part 1, but this has no story at all and it takes 2 and 1/2 hours to tell it. Special effects were top notch, but they didn't have any emotional weight at all. When I saw Superman, the first big action sequence had my heart pounding, I was biting my nails and I was glued to the screen, it was so intense. The action in this I agree with Simon. This movie is dreadfully boring. I loved part 1, but this has no story at all and it takes 2 and 1/2 hours to tell it. Special effects were top notch, but they didn't have any emotional weight at all. When I saw Superman, the first big action sequence had my heart pounding, I was biting my nails and I was glued to the screen, it was so intense. The action in this movie bored me, even though the f/x were better. What a terrible yawn this thing is. I don't recommend it for anybody. The only thing I totally enjoyed about the movie was the pirate with the glass eye (Gareth from The Office), he was hilarious, but hardly in it at all. Brutal movie. Yes, the f/x are really well done, but none of them affected me in any way at all. ZZzzzz. Expand
  22. Marnie
    Sep 16, 2006
    By the time it was three quarters of the way through I was checking my watch every 5 minutes, hoping it would be over soon. Enormously boring. And I say that as someone who loved the first film. This one was a complete let down.
  23. Scarecrow
    Sep 5, 2006
    It was overly directed presented and created. The story is nice but not presented well. The most interesting thing on the film is jack sparow and thats because of johny depp's good acting. I didnt cared about any other character than him. Very dissapointing sequel.
  24. James
    Apr 6, 2007
    The biggest problem with this film is that its plot is horrible, falling apart at even the slightest scrutiny. So much of the movie wasted our time with pointless scenes and irrelevant plot lines. On the bright side the characterization was well done as was some of the cinematography. But still a film without a plot is extremely flawed. If you're one of the few who haven't seen The biggest problem with this film is that its plot is horrible, falling apart at even the slightest scrutiny. So much of the movie wasted our time with pointless scenes and irrelevant plot lines. On the bright side the characterization was well done as was some of the cinematography. But still a film without a plot is extremely flawed. If you're one of the few who haven't seen the film give it a wide birth. Expand
  25. Katherine
    Jun 21, 2007
    I couldn't follow the story one bit because I couldn't hear a word the characters were saying. Also, way to long.
  26. Mike
    Dec 26, 2006
    Amazing special effects, makeup, sets. But thats all it offers. I found the movie intresting for 30 mins and then it became very boring and unintresting. Even though the action was there. It was a bore.
  27. johnt
    Dec 5, 2006
    It completely amazes me how Johnny Depp can go from an Oscar worthy performance into this ridiculously bad one. The story line made me lose complete interest in the franchise. I have no interest in any further sequels (which I'm sure will be multitudinous).
  28. Sean
    Jul 30, 2006
    This was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen. Even the action scenes I could care less about. Only thing good was Johnny Depp's performance.
  29. Rachel
    Jul 31, 2006
    This is probably one of the most overrated films I've ever seen. And it shows that no film company ever lost money pleasing the general public. This film was horrid and I really regret seeing it. I usually love Johnny Depp but this film made his amazing acting talent become wasted!!!! And Keira Knightley if only she stuck to films like Bend It Like Beckham or Pride and Prejudice. This is probably one of the most overrated films I've ever seen. And it shows that no film company ever lost money pleasing the general public. This film was horrid and I really regret seeing it. I usually love Johnny Depp but this film made his amazing acting talent become wasted!!!! And Keira Knightley if only she stuck to films like Bend It Like Beckham or Pride and Prejudice. Definitely disappointing and I won't be seeing the last film thats for sure. Expand
  30. JeffreyH.
    Jul 7, 2006
    Good gawd. i just gave yet another 2 hours of my life to that stinking franchise. after the juvenile(a macaw relieving itself on a man's shoulder got the biggest laugh of the night))humor, weak story line and simplistic, plodding score of the first, i thought i would give the second a chance to redeem the first. not to mention the sublime johnny depp. big mistake. save your money andGood gawd. i just gave yet another 2 hours of my life to that stinking franchise. after the juvenile(a macaw relieving itself on a man's shoulder got the biggest laugh of the night))humor, weak story line and simplistic, plodding score of the first, i thought i would give the second a chance to redeem the first. not to mention the sublime johnny depp. big mistake. save your money and the hours of lifetime you must commit to viewing this trash. my money and my time are gone, but you have a choice. make the right choice and see another movie like superman returns....yeah, dead man's chest is THAT bad. Expand
  31. JelmerJ.
    Aug 31, 2006
    This movie is bad from start to finish. A waste of your time, money and brain.
  32. JamesW.
    Aug 3, 2006
    Ninja was right. Shotgun-blasted plot. I enjoyed the first one, but this one is incoherent. Everybody's a pirate! I'm fairly lighthearted with movies, but Dead Man's Chest leaves such a foul tasting bile in my mouth that I have to say something. Don't waste your money on this, or else Hollywood will believe people like this tripe (may be too late for that). Wait for Ninja was right. Shotgun-blasted plot. I enjoyed the first one, but this one is incoherent. Everybody's a pirate! I'm fairly lighthearted with movies, but Dead Man's Chest leaves such a foul tasting bile in my mouth that I have to say something. Don't waste your money on this, or else Hollywood will believe people like this tripe (may be too late for that). Wait for rental and decide for yourself whether or not it's bad or horrible. Expand
  33. LuisG.
    Aug 4, 2006
    Unlike those crazed fans who enjoyed the 1st film on the big screen ... i was reluctant to see pirates 1 but then came that dvd and well i saw the film i was somewhat entertained but fail to see what everyone else did .... funny but not hilarious , entertaining but not memorable ala jurassic park or jaws but then again how interesting can a private film be which is why i disliked pirates 2Unlike those crazed fans who enjoyed the 1st film on the big screen ... i was reluctant to see pirates 1 but then came that dvd and well i saw the film i was somewhat entertained but fail to see what everyone else did .... funny but not hilarious , entertaining but not memorable ala jurassic park or jaws but then again how interesting can a private film be which is why i disliked pirates 2 as well ...way to long , plot what plot thats called nonsense ... confused from the start and slighty entertained but still distratced by the whole experience.. i say if disneyhas so much mula to fork over for this trash they should invest in some actual things like offering scholarships or helping those in need my point being is stop waisting money of junk like this but then again i guess there is an audience so it says on a 135 million opening... Expand
  34. NatM
    Feb 11, 2007
    I personally feel that this movie completely sucked, after watching the first one I thought, maybe, just maybe this movie might be just as good. But no, sadly they used the lamest humour possible, they tried to be too funny, everyone just decided to start totally sucking at acting, and what's worse is that no one can see that. If anyone says that this was a good movie, I'm sorry I personally feel that this movie completely sucked, after watching the first one I thought, maybe, just maybe this movie might be just as good. But no, sadly they used the lamest humour possible, they tried to be too funny, everyone just decided to start totally sucking at acting, and what's worse is that no one can see that. If anyone says that this was a good movie, I'm sorry but they must be completely out of their minds. Expand
  35. MeghanR
    Dec 3, 2006
    Frustratingly bad. What made the first movie so memorable was the campiness of Depp amongst the seriousness and nervousness of the other characters. What makes this movie so bad? The exploitation of campy acting from EACH character and of each scene. This movie goes way overboard. Would have worked better as a made for TV cartoon movie on the Disney channel. I hated it. It's the only Frustratingly bad. What made the first movie so memorable was the campiness of Depp amongst the seriousness and nervousness of the other characters. What makes this movie so bad? The exploitation of campy acting from EACH character and of each scene. This movie goes way overboard. Would have worked better as a made for TV cartoon movie on the Disney channel. I hated it. It's the only movie I almost seriously walked out on in my whole life. Terrible. Expand
  36. SamsonC.
    Aug 28, 2006
    You would think this was one of the best movies of all time based on how much money it has made. What you get though is a crapfest. Take that to the bank.
  37. ChumT.
    Sep 13, 2006
    Abysmal effort. Can only recommend to people I dislike. Like water-torture to sit through.
  38. BrianD.
    Sep 22, 2006
    This movie made me want to impale my eyes with my soda straw.
  39. DonL.
    Dec 11, 2007
    Worst movie of the.....decade.
  40. Bendik
    Aug 23, 2007
    Thanks for destroying a good actor! Johnny Depp was awesome, now I can't even look at him without getting sad. This movie is TERRIBLE!
  41. PatC.
    Aug 27, 2007
    Some really cute quirky action, but overall the continuity was botched. Just because it utilized the construction of an overlong matinee serial doesn't mean it always had to refuse to make sense. But a swordfight on a rogue waterwheel, that's still something special.
  42. CarlM.
    Nov 19, 2006
    Tedious and exhausting. Leaving you only with the promise of more. How draining.
  43. JesperMD
    Dec 11, 2006
    The special effects are great - but the story and the acting is horrible. Really. What a waste of time.
  44. DysonL.
    Dec 15, 2006
    This movie should be part of the dictionary's definition of the word "pointless". I have the impression that they were trying to milk every buck out of it before it even becomes a franchise. They were desperately expanding the story into a trilogy when they pathetically lack the material to do so. I hated so much this movie I will not pay to see the third installment no matter how This movie should be part of the dictionary's definition of the word "pointless". I have the impression that they were trying to milk every buck out of it before it even becomes a franchise. They were desperately expanding the story into a trilogy when they pathetically lack the material to do so. I hated so much this movie I will not pay to see the third installment no matter how good it may be. They fooled me once, but they will not fool me twice. Expand
  45. Nov 23, 2011
    It proves how bad things can turn when the first film was so good and the sequel was far worst. The acting is poor, The story isnt interesting at all, and the entire film is simply boring.
  46. larryK.
    Jul 19, 2006
    Loved the first Pirates. What a wonderfully original and entertaining movie it was and how enjoyable Johnny Depp was in that film. Therefore, it deeply saddens me to say that the sequel was nothing but a bunch of boring nonsense! And most unfortunately, Johnny Depp wasn't able to recreate the magic that made Captain Jack Sparrow so lovable. I couldn't figure out if Cap'n Loved the first Pirates. What a wonderfully original and entertaining movie it was and how enjoyable Johnny Depp was in that film. Therefore, it deeply saddens me to say that the sequel was nothing but a bunch of boring nonsense! And most unfortunately, Johnny Depp wasn't able to recreate the magic that made Captain Jack Sparrow so lovable. I couldn't figure out if Cap'n Jack was supposed to be drugged, drunk, or gay. Depp apparently couldn't decide how to define Sparrow. But then I realized that he was just desperately trying to recapture the brilliance of his first performace Expand
  47. Jim
    Jul 20, 2006
    "Surely, the public will think a sequel is just as good. All we have to do is make it look similar and fill it's extra long running time with pointless special effect battles! It worked for the Matrix films...right?" Seriously, I don't think they had a clue what made the first film a hit. Even Johnny Depp is merely a weak charicature of himself from the first film. Like Matrix "Surely, the public will think a sequel is just as good. All we have to do is make it look similar and fill it's extra long running time with pointless special effect battles! It worked for the Matrix films...right?" Seriously, I don't think they had a clue what made the first film a hit. Even Johnny Depp is merely a weak charicature of himself from the first film. Like Matrix Reloaded, if there's no real substance behind the action, I don't give a damn about the action itself. If it's 5 minutes of action or 2.5 hours, the fact is I've seen computer effects before! It's just not thrilling watching action for actions sake, action is only thrilling if it has a purpose (ie, like in the first film). What in the world happened to all that other stuff that PotC got so right? A plot? Humor that isn't predictable and forced? Caring about the characters? You need the audience to want a certain outcome! All we're left with is a wait for the ending (and what a loooonng wait it is), which only blatantly reveals the justification for turning this into a trilogy: if you have a hit, milk it! Expand
  48. StelP.
    Jul 6, 2006
    I wanted to love this sequel SO BADLY, but unfortunately, it's a ponderous 2-1/2 hours that left me feeling flat and uninspired at the end. Weak screenplay, inconsistent cinematography, very little emotional attachment to any of the main characters, and most importantly, not enough of the witty and sly side of Jack Sparrow. Did I mention that it's WAY too long?! After seeing the I wanted to love this sequel SO BADLY, but unfortunately, it's a ponderous 2-1/2 hours that left me feeling flat and uninspired at the end. Weak screenplay, inconsistent cinematography, very little emotional attachment to any of the main characters, and most importantly, not enough of the witty and sly side of Jack Sparrow. Did I mention that it's WAY too long?! After seeing the first one multiple times in theaters, I was waiting eagerly for that one on DVD. I have no such desire this time around, I'm sorry to say. Once was enough. Expand
  49. TanyaJ.
    Jul 12, 2006
    Frankly, while i didnt really expect this movie to surpass the first one, it still appalled me. out of all the sequels ive seen, this has got to be one of the worst. cheap, overused puns, a lame storyline and no originality whatsoever made this movie completely unwatchable. this film should come with a "May cause cerebral bleeding!" warning.
  50. TonyL.
    Jul 12, 2006
    Reasons why this film didn't work for me. 1) I loved Johnny Depp's take on Capt. Sparrow in the first film. Now it is old hat. 2) Kiera K. was a fresh new face in the first film, but she really didn't add anything new to the role this time. 3) Norrington worked much better as a starchy British officer. 4) Directors must really figure out when to say when there is enough Reasons why this film didn't work for me. 1) I loved Johnny Depp's take on Capt. Sparrow in the first film. Now it is old hat. 2) Kiera K. was a fresh new face in the first film, but she really didn't add anything new to the role this time. 3) Norrington worked much better as a starchy British officer. 4) Directors must really figure out when to say when there is enough special effects. 5) You really cared about Capt. Barbosa and the rest of the crew in the last film, not so much in this one 6) Can't anybody edit anymore? This type of movie doesn't need to be over 2+30 hours! Expand
  51. JohnP.
    Jul 13, 2006
    Sattles viewers to their seats with big budget action yet seemingly fails to satisfy in any way.
  52. GaryS.
    Jul 13, 2006
    Interesting special effects, but we walked out after an hour. Very confusing plot or no plot.
  53. KarenS.
    Jul 16, 2006
    "Take what you can. Give nothing back." This sequel is the worst kind of movie making. To betray your audience's anticipation of a second entertaining and well-crafted movie by giving them one with no plot, no character development, and the witless rehash of previous jokes, simply to make a buck, is itself an act of piracy. Disney isn't going to profit on my dollar again unless "Take what you can. Give nothing back." This sequel is the worst kind of movie making. To betray your audience's anticipation of a second entertaining and well-crafted movie by giving them one with no plot, no character development, and the witless rehash of previous jokes, simply to make a buck, is itself an act of piracy. Disney isn't going to profit on my dollar again unless I benefit from the exchange, too. When they make another Pirates movie that is smart, funny, and well-written, I'll go see it. Until then, I'm sticking with Pixar. Expand
  54. BenS.
    Jul 18, 2006
    Don't get me wrong, Curse of the Black Pearl is one of my favorite movies, but this sequel was abysmal. First of all, the movie was all over the place. They kept jumping between plot lines, and in one case (can't specify without spoilers) they seem to totally forget a plot element. The movie did not feel like the first. It's true it had the same characters and setting as Don't get me wrong, Curse of the Black Pearl is one of my favorite movies, but this sequel was abysmal. First of all, the movie was all over the place. They kept jumping between plot lines, and in one case (can't specify without spoilers) they seem to totally forget a plot element. The movie did not feel like the first. It's true it had the same characters and setting as the first film, but you need more than that for a good sequel. I was expecting more of a good thing, and I came out terribly disappointed. Disney has a chance to redeem themselves with the third movie, here's hoping they don't screw that one up too. Expand
  55. SteveE.
    Jul 20, 2006
    Just a long commerical for the next movie (of course there will be one)
  56. ArmenS.
    Jul 23, 2006
    Interesting, sometimes beautiful, sometimes distracting visuals. I give it a one due to the times the visuals did look good. But other than that, i disliked just about everything else about this Pirates movie.
  57. KyleC.
    Jul 27, 2006
    I was not the least bit impressed. This lacks any of the freshness or inventiveness of the first. Purely derivative stuff.
  58. AaronE.
    Jul 7, 2006
    Too long, not funny, no plot, and it makes no sense unless you've seen the first one.
  59. GeneW.
    Jul 9, 2006
    Overly long, overly noisy, this sequel is nothing more than a two and a half hour trailer for the third installment of the franchise. Dead Man's Chest has a slow beginning, a bloated middle and no end. It's the worst kind of movie making, a crass ploy to get us back for No. 3. A waste of time and money.
  60. AlexI.
    Jul 9, 2006
    For all the ecstatic reviews on this site, I can only offer the following anecdote. I saw this movie at midnight on Thursday. The theater was packed, people were dressed up in costume, 80% of the audience hardcore fans of the movie. Maybe three people clapped at the end of it out of over 150 in the audience and everyone filed out as quickly as possible. There wasn't the kind of For all the ecstatic reviews on this site, I can only offer the following anecdote. I saw this movie at midnight on Thursday. The theater was packed, people were dressed up in costume, 80% of the audience hardcore fans of the movie. Maybe three people clapped at the end of it out of over 150 in the audience and everyone filed out as quickly as possible. There wasn't the kind of excited buzz that follows the opening of a good/fun movie, just a lot of discontented grumbling about how late it was. I can't even claim it was entertaining. Expand
  61. TomB.
    Jul 11, 2006
    The cast and crew of Dead Man's Chest seem to have no idea what was successful about the first 'Pirates of the Caribbean' - and they are the same people! They just happen upon the 'snowball gathering speed down a hill' in the second half of this film, but the pacing of the first hour is just DEATH - and not the fun kind. The material in the first 60 minutes could The cast and crew of Dead Man's Chest seem to have no idea what was successful about the first 'Pirates of the Caribbean' - and they are the same people! They just happen upon the 'snowball gathering speed down a hill' in the second half of this film, but the pacing of the first hour is just DEATH - and not the fun kind. The material in the first 60 minutes could be covered in 6 - and it still would have been over 90 minutes long. Warning to parents: the PG-13 is firm. The blood and creepiness in this second 'Pirates' outing far exceeds the first and is not appropriate for younger children. Whle Davey Jones' crew are imaginative creatures, their gruesome visages will haunt the young - and are too detailed to read on the big screen (ILM's downfall on more than one film) and will be lost on smaller formats like DVD. What were they thinking? Expand
  62. JoeyP.
    Jul 12, 2006
    I have to give it a 0, because it was that craptacular. Considering how great the first one was, it's amazing how terrible the second one was. The sad thing is, that since it's making a lot of money, some producers will think they did something right. What they WON'T REALIZE is, is what they did right in first place was the first one.
  63. SeamusM.
    Jul 14, 2006
    First hour was good. The rest was goddamn-awful. i've never been so bored in a cinema....ok maybe once or twice. Incomprehensible plot which means the action sequences have no meaning. Avoid,avoid like the plague.
  64. G.
    Jul 14, 2006
    life is too precious to waste on this. The movie could have been made by a six year old.. thread bare plot woven around awful CGI sequences awful theatrical acting flat one liners people banging their heads/falling off cliffs as humour
  65. KristenJ.
    Jul 15, 2006
    I LOVED the first Pirates movie. I had posters of Capt. Jack and Will on my bedroom walls. I couldn't wait for the sequal, I was looking forward to it the whole year. I'm sorry to say i really didn't like this movie, it didn't feel like the first. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually thought it was really bad. I went home after the movie and took I LOVED the first Pirates movie. I had posters of Capt. Jack and Will on my bedroom walls. I couldn't wait for the sequal, I was looking forward to it the whole year. I'm sorry to say i really didn't like this movie, it didn't feel like the first. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually thought it was really bad. I went home after the movie and took down my posters. Maybe I've grown up. Or maybe the movie really is that bad. Expand
  66. Kraven
    Jul 15, 2006
    They should have stopped at the first film. If 3 is anywhere near as boring as 2 then the whole ship is sunk!
  67. ReelWorld
    Jul 17, 2006
    A step in the wrong direction from what was an entertaining first film. Even Johnny Depp's talents can't save this overlong, poorly written film from the fathoms of the deep. 2 points for Depp, 1 point for SFX. I don't think I'll be bothering with part 3.
  68. DwayneS.
    Jul 19, 2006
    POC DMC never lets up. But listen up, folks. This is not a good thing. Too much of everything and just about all of it bad. I'd recomend against it. Unless you like punishment. Waste of my time!
  69. ConstanceW.
    Jul 19, 2006
    Please. No More Pirates! I mean that in every sense. No more pirates at McDonald's, on billboards, at the mall, on tv, on the radio, and most immportantly, at the movie theatre! My goodness, could I possibly dislike a movie any more than this Pirates sequal? The computer effects were ugly. The acting corny. The plot senseless. Why must we be subjected to another one of these Please. No More Pirates! I mean that in every sense. No more pirates at McDonald's, on billboards, at the mall, on tv, on the radio, and most immportantly, at the movie theatre! My goodness, could I possibly dislike a movie any more than this Pirates sequal? The computer effects were ugly. The acting corny. The plot senseless. Why must we be subjected to another one of these abominations next summer? Someone make the madness stop! Expand
  70. AllenT.
    Jul 20, 2006
    Was this movie supposed to be funny? The shishkabob gag, the dog, Keira fake-fainting. Was any of this supposed to bring a smile to my face? Because if so, this is the worst failure in cineplexes this year. It's a total, humorless dud.
  71. ShawnaP.
    Jul 23, 2006
    Brilliant! Amazing! Fantastic! Best movie ever!!! None of these things describe this movie. I had read comments stating things like this on this and other website from some superfans. After having seen it though, my rating is Brilliant waste of talent! Amazingly dull! Fantastically overrated! Worst movie ever!! -S
  72. BillC.
    Jul 25, 2006
    This sequel was too long and too special effects based. The movie should be Johny Depps, but he is not in the film enough and his lines are not as clever or as frequent as before. A weak story and too long by 45 minutes.
  73. JackB.
    Jul 28, 2006
    On one hand you have Knightly and Bloom acting is stiff and predictable. On the other hand you have Depp prancing around and rambling incoherant jiberish to the degree that he can't be taken seriously. You're left with images and scenes that you might ooo and ahhhh at. (If you're eight years old or younger) Anyone with a few brain cells still active will be bored to death.
  74. Langdon
    Jul 29, 2006
    After watching this movie, i thought, did we really need this? The first Pirates was great, but this movie didn't add much to the mythology. And next summer's release of 3 feels too soon. Spread them out more! Maybe 2008. I'm not looking forward to seeing 3 next year. I think i will skip it.
  75. LanieJ.
    Jul 9, 2006
    A big let down after the first one - illogical plot, no humor or good fun like the first, and unintelligible dialogue at times. I left the theater queasy and uninterested. A shame after how great Pirates 1 was.
  76. GeraldB.
    Jul 9, 2006
    Just blobs of colour squiggling onscreen and words shooting back and forth unintelligibly. Sitting in a cinema watching PIRATES 2 was like being wrapped in a triple -length roll of very loud wallpaper.
  77. JimM.
    Jul 9, 2006
    What a BAD BAD movie! They should have stopped with the first one, which was good. This was was HORRIBLE. The best word I can think of is GROSS. I haven't seen this must gross crap on a movie screen since...I don't remember anything this bad! Too bad so many people wasted their money on this crap, it would have been better spent on the fabulous Superman Returns, a movie with What a BAD BAD movie! They should have stopped with the first one, which was good. This was was HORRIBLE. The best word I can think of is GROSS. I haven't seen this must gross crap on a movie screen since...I don't remember anything this bad! Too bad so many people wasted their money on this crap, it would have been better spent on the fabulous Superman Returns, a movie with heart and soul, this waste of film has neither. A typical Ameircan summer waste of time... Expand
  78. GriffinMill
    Jul 11, 2006
    Every component in Pirates I that earned the picture a rating of 7 - was amplified (exagerated) into vulgarity. Metacritic has been a dependable resource. How is it that in assigning numerical ratings from the critics, in the case of this film, deeply negative reviews are given relatively high numerical ratings. Read the reviewers' comments and ask how: "A long, tedious and Every component in Pirates I that earned the picture a rating of 7 - was amplified (exagerated) into vulgarity. Metacritic has been a dependable resource. How is it that in assigning numerical ratings from the critics, in the case of this film, deeply negative reviews are given relatively high numerical ratings. Read the reviewers' comments and ask how: "A long, tedious and convoluted follow-up to 2003's rollicking high-seas hit, The Curse of the Black Pearl, this second installment in the promised trilogy lacks the swash and buckle of the original. And then some." this sounds like the writer was giving the film a 5 out of 10 rating? More like 2 (generous) out of ten. [Ed: We don't score the quotations. We score the entire review.] Expand
  79. HooverH.
    Jul 12, 2006
    The rabid fans are wrong: -This is definitely not the best movie of the year -It DEFINITELY was NOT fast paced -Johnny Depp's acting was NOT impressive as it was in the first. He's got a line of charades worked up that he uses constantly such as bringing his knees freakishly high while running (haha...no), making squeamish faces etc...
  80. JohnsonD.
    Jul 12, 2006
    Those who give this movie 9 and 10, do you have any standards? This rank pile of drivel accomplishes nothing! It's merely there, for 2 1/2 hrs. People who haven't seen it, save your money. Truly. This one's a video-rental, if that. Pathetically crappy film.
  81. JPG.
    Jul 13, 2006
    I can't believe this movie beat Spiderman. I only lasted 10 minutes of this movie. It was the worst movie of the summer. I hope the third one is better but I doubt it.
  82. PeterN.
    Jul 13, 2006
    The voodoo lady in the movie talks about "Dee End of Dee Eartd". Well, i felt pushed to dee end of my wits by dis filum. Johnny Depp is one of my favorites on the big screen. He was so good in the first Piraes movie and in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. But he, like Orlando and Kiera, were boring this time around. I got a headache about a half hour into the movie, and it didn't The voodoo lady in the movie talks about "Dee End of Dee Eartd". Well, i felt pushed to dee end of my wits by dis filum. Johnny Depp is one of my favorites on the big screen. He was so good in the first Piraes movie and in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. But he, like Orlando and Kiera, were boring this time around. I got a headache about a half hour into the movie, and it didn't feel better until I walked out of the theater. That's what this movie is good for. Giving headaches. Expand
  83. BarryH.M.
    Jul 18, 2006
    I may have liked it better had I been able to stay until the end, but it became too tedious to watch. I walked out of a film for only the second time in my life -- the first was "Blue Hawaii!" When Johnny Depp was onscreen it was fun; otherwise it was boring, if one can say that of disgusting violence and the promise of cannabilism. Maybe they should have stopped with the first installment.
  84. RuthD.
    Jul 18, 2006
    One of the worst movies I've seen. Most of conversation so mumbled it was incomprehensible, and ditto the action!!!
  85. KarnaC.
    Jul 19, 2006
    Stinky! There is good, there is average, and there is Pirates of the Carribbean, which is to say, it's utterly bad. It isn't bad as much as awful. Off the chart suckage. I was bored to tears!
  86. Beth
    Jul 22, 2006
    I'm so disappointed.
  87. Oct 7, 2013
    Every thing good about the first film is tossed out the window. Dead Man's Chest is painfully boring and fails to excite you like the first film did. The acting is weak and so is the action scenes. Very disappointing considering how good the first one was, This one simply fails to live up.

Lively is an odd word for something called Dead Man's Chest, but lively it is. You won't find hotter action, wilder thrills or loopier laughs this summer.
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Too long, and too wrapped up in its various plot contrivances to notice it’s veering off course. But Jack just about pulls the wheel back, aided by Verbinski’s flair for cartoonish comedy action.
  3. Depp is the comic gel that holds the whole enterprise together. The performance is a total delight that somehow combines Bugs Bunny, Peter Pan and Charlie Chaplin.