8.6

1. Sep 24, 2011
    "The Curse of the Black Pearl" is a movie that focuses too much on preposterous humor. It kills the movie, but Johnny Depp's performance is the sole thing that saves the messy film.
  2. SimG.
    Oct 29, 2005
    Poor film in many aspects, but an amazing performance by Depp, one of the best actors in the modern game.
  3. Nov 12, 2013
    Pirates sets sail with a witty plot.
    Pirates of the Caribbean succeeds with great acting from the likes of Johnny Depp who brings his character an irreplaceable flare. The movie never falls flat but never becomes great with an average plot.
  4. TimL.
    Jul 9, 2003
    To a large extent, Bruckheimer and his ilk represent everything wrong with Hollywood. Producing overworked, underedited, bloated bits of cinema, their movies drive quality standards down and ticket prices up. "Pirates" is no exception, as the film feels terribly overdone and full of itself. Few characters come alive -- be they skeletons or sentimental sailors -- and the story longs to To a large extent, Bruckheimer and his ilk represent everything wrong with Hollywood. Producing overworked, underedited, bloated bits of cinema, their movies drive quality standards down and ticket prices up. "Pirates" is no exception, as the film feels terribly overdone and full of itself. Few characters come alive -- be they skeletons or sentimental sailors -- and the story longs to land legitimate momentum or force. Sure, there are plenty of summer "popcorn" films; this one, however, will probably leave you burnt. Expand
  5. RajS.
    Jul 9, 2003
    I agree with Tim L. even though he bought the Fantastic Four shirt I wanted!
  6. JohnY.
    Jul 11, 2003
    I really wanted to like this movie. Depp gives an original performance, and the movie contains a visually stunning atmosphere. Yet, the film's not light enough on it's feet; I expected more clever and witty dialogue. If the lines coming out of Depp's mouth were better, then we'd have a historic character in the making. Instead, what we have is an actor's actor I really wanted to like this movie. Depp gives an original performance, and the movie contains a visually stunning atmosphere. Yet, the film's not light enough on it's feet; I expected more clever and witty dialogue. If the lines coming out of Depp's mouth were better, then we'd have a historic character in the making. Instead, what we have is an actor's actor bringing some much needed enjoyment to a film barely staying above water. Expand
  7. Joe
    Jul 12, 2003
    The beginning of "Pirates" was fun, the middle was confusing, and the end was pretty unwatchable. But if you need to watch a movie, it's worth a matinee for the beginning AND Johnny Depp, who gives one of the strangest, funniest and most memorable performances I've seen in a while. He looks more like a marcher in a gay pride parade than a pirate. It's probably more fun for The beginning of "Pirates" was fun, the middle was confusing, and the end was pretty unwatchable. But if you need to watch a movie, it's worth a matinee for the beginning AND Johnny Depp, who gives one of the strangest, funniest and most memorable performances I've seen in a while. He looks more like a marcher in a gay pride parade than a pirate. It's probably more fun for Depp to act that way, and it's more fun for us to watch. Expand
  8. EricN.
    Jul 10, 2003
    It's Jerry Bruckheimer, what do you expect? Wonderful set design, terrible editing. Being too long and too predictable is a deadly combo. Everyone else in the theater seemed to enjoy the humor--I found it sophomoric. Jonny Depp made it bearable.
  9. BitBurn
    Jul 15, 2003
    This movie was alright. A little weak acting from Mr.Depp but it was ok. But personally, I could have wait for the Dvd rental in 6 months!
  10. DaveC.
    Aug 7, 2003
    Not too bad for a piece of Jerry Bruckheimer Hollywood fluff. The plot is surprisingly but the dialogue is silly and comic relief is always included in moments that you would want to take seriously. Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush are excellent as the dead pirates, which is more than what can be said for Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightly who still can't act. The ending sucks too and Not too bad for a piece of Jerry Bruckheimer Hollywood fluff. The plot is surprisingly but the dialogue is silly and comic relief is always included in moments that you would want to take seriously. Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush are excellent as the dead pirates, which is more than what can be said for Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightly who still can't act. The ending sucks too and will leave a bad taste in your mouth. All in all, this is the best film Jerry Bruckheimer has ever produced (and yes, I know that doesn't say much). I'd particularly recommend this to fans of the 1999 remake of the Mummy. It's done in a very similar style and doesn't require you to use your brain. Expand
  11. Greg
    Sep 14, 2003
    Just a bit too silly and a good 30 minutes too long. Watchable but not a classic!
  12. KenG.
    Jan 19, 2004
    Whew, what a disappointment...sure, Johnny Depp was fab-five-ulous (when isn't he?), but the movie is about 30 minutes too long and filled with great looking sets but no heart.
  13. PatC.
    Dec 1, 2003
    This was chewing gum for the eyes. Nice flavor, no aftertaste.
  14. ChadS.
    Jul 17, 2003
    "Cutthroat Island" isn't "Hudson Hawk"-bad like it's purported to be and deserves a second look. There's nothing wrong with making a traditional pirate movie. Johnny Depp's performance is a landmark in the post-"Terminator II" era of special effects-laden movies because he tries to upstage the CGI rather than give a rote line-reading. But the playful spirit he invests "Cutthroat Island" isn't "Hudson Hawk"-bad like it's purported to be and deserves a second look. There's nothing wrong with making a traditional pirate movie. Johnny Depp's performance is a landmark in the post-"Terminator II" era of special effects-laden movies because he tries to upstage the CGI rather than give a rote line-reading. But the playful spirit he invests in his role and the movie is snuffed out by the need to wow the audience with skeletal buccaneers. If the film was as loopy as the captain, the screenplay would've prescribed a different life for Elizabeth at the film's end. There's a hegemony between Depp and the movie, and it's too bad that blandness wins when Knightley chooses domesticity. Expand
  15. NoelT.
    Sep 23, 2003
    Ok actual movie plot set aside, I just want to focus on Johhny Depp. This is his worst acting job I have ever seen. Capt. Jack Sparrow is nothing more than Hunter S. Thompson from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas in a pirate hat. You should play them side by side, they have the same speech patterns, same cadence , they even stumble around in a similar fashion. Not cool Johhny, not cool.
  16. patrickd.
    Nov 4, 2005
    It was fun, but I have no clue how people can say it was the best movie they've in in their whole lives. I think it's overrated. It was based on a ride!
  17. Nov 22, 2014
    The first movie of this franchise is really fascinating, it has a good storyline and a great character(in this case the one played by johnny deep), it is a really fun adventure movie.

1. A film that dares to be smart, reasonably complicated and scary while swashing its buckles.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Park
    Convoluted but diverting.
    Trimming half an hour from this bloated, 143-minute blockbuster would have highlighted the film's treasures, not the least of which is Johnny Depp's endearingly eccentric performance as Captain Jack Sparrow.