USA Films | Release Date: February 18, 2000
8.6
Universal acclaim based on 258 Ratings
Watch Now
TheWalrus2000May 20, 2013
Vin Diesel when he was actually good (I liked Fast Five also), Pitch Black may not be the sci-fi plot everybody's looking for, but the action is suitable and thrilling enough and so are the performances, so Pitch Black doesn't fail.
mariotoadrabbitJul 6, 2014
Dark, thrilling, and more intense horror of the first. pitch black brings audiences vin diesel into the big screen which is the first installment of the chronicles of riddick franchise. So I must say that this made me interested in theDark, thrilling, and more intense horror of the first. pitch black brings audiences vin diesel into the big screen which is the first installment of the chronicles of riddick franchise. So I must say that this made me interested in the franchise of the series. So first reason is that it the alien design were pretty interested to audiences. Second Is that the performances of vin diesel were pretty impressive in it. Third is that the dark action sequences were impressive. So I would recommend this is that it's a classic vin diesel film if the series. During the action, the aliens maybe frighten audiences under 11 or 12 years old. So that's the reasons why I would support this movie. Expand
kingshahidOct 28, 2011
I liked the costumes, tabla-music every two seconds and the filming location (desert). Other than that, the story (concept) was too sci-fi for me. I did not follow along with this movie. It failed at keeping me entertained. It was a long dragI liked the costumes, tabla-music every two seconds and the filming location (desert). Other than that, the story (concept) was too sci-fi for me. I did not follow along with this movie. It failed at keeping me entertained. It was a long drag of nearly 2hrs from the very beginning. How this movie had sequels is beyond me. Expand
TheQuietGamerAug 12, 2014
Overall enjoyable, but there's a lot of squandered potential. The cool alien designs and plot set up made it look like we could've had a great "Aliens" rip-off. Unfortunately thanks to a lack of fear and surprisingly few action scenes thisOverall enjoyable, but there's a lot of squandered potential. The cool alien designs and plot set up made it look like we could've had a great "Aliens" rip-off. Unfortunately thanks to a lack of fear and surprisingly few action scenes this feels like a somewhat lackluster movie. It's still fun and Diesel is perfect as Riddick, but I wanted a little more. Outside of Diesel the other best part about the movie is Cole Hauser as "Johns." His character's history of hunting Riddick leads to an interesting dynamic and plenty of enjoyable back and forth between the two. The rest of the cast feels kind of meh in comparison, but we all know they're just there to up the body count anyway.

As it stands "Pitch Black" isn't as dark or as action packed as I was expecting. It's lacking in action and the aliens they are all so worried about don't get enough screen time and aren't presented in enough of a threatening manner when they do. But with Diesel and Hauser playing such awesome characters it's hard to not enjoy yourself despite it's issues. I definitely wouldn't call it a sci-fi classic, but it's entertaining enough to be watched, even if the entire time you'll be thinking about how it could be so much better. I give it a 6.5/10-Okay.
TokyochuchuSep 1, 2014
Pitch Black is an above average monster movie with some decent turns from Vin Diesel and Cole Hauser. Is it enough to base an entire franchise on? No, but that didn't stop them. Then again, I like the sequels slightly more anyhow.