3.3

1. Aug 9, 2013
    Parents, please dont pay a cent to see this film, a lot of the production was outsourced to India and shows, in spite of a number of capable north American studio that bid to do the work at a reasonable rates, the executives still chose to do this in India where they can pay an artist about 500 dollars a month. If the savings were kicked back to the consumer this would be reasonable, but it isn't, they will charge full price, its just lines a few executives pockets and further weakens our industries and work force. Dear Parents these movies regardless if they are made in north America make bags of cash, the small saving made by outsourcing art to India does nothing but line a few individual pockets, and takes away from hard working families who are trying to make a living, and further more you the consumer will be given an inferior product, and still charged the full price. boycott Expand
  2. Aug 9, 2013
    What planes lacks in humor and speech it doesn't do that well in animation. There are some very good flying scenes but I think the toys will make more money than the movie. This is not a movie you would rush to watch, only see it if you have some spare time.
  3. Aug 9, 2013
    "Planes" is what happens when Disney decides to flex their "we own Pixar's properties" muscles and build a sequel in an established fictional universe. A true travesty of a film, Disney's given us a Pixar-esque sequel that doesn't even hold a candle to the WORST Pixar films.
  4. Nov 17, 2013
    Why do I ever going to see a Disney movie that has a full of C-lists actors like Dane Cook and not-so-mediocre (Julia Louise-Dryfuss and Teri Hatcher) actresses. Cars 2 was one of the worst sequels in a Pixar movie, but it gets much worse. Since Disney is still trying to open its wounds from past mistakes, they make a new movie called "Planes." Sure it's not a Pixar movie, but when it comes to bad comedians, Dane Cook can't act and can't even save this Disney debauchery. If they said "world of Cars" then how come Cook be so stupid to be in a Disney movie? It's good for the kids, unfortunately, it's another side of bad things to come for the mouse house. Avoid "Planes." Expand
  5. Aug 11, 2013
    Summary:
    This review took a while to write. I was trying to decide whether my casual interest for airplanes was clouding my judgement. Then I got confused about whether I was rooting for DisneyToon Studios to succeed or fail in its first theatrical effort in nearly seven years. What I came away with was this: Planes is a good movie.

Dusty Crophopper (Dane Cook) is a crop dusting plane
    who dreams of racing. Besides the fact that he is afraid of heights, Dusty is hampered by his lack of speed. Still, he chases after his dream and, through a series of incredibly predictable events, he ends up in a race around the world.

There are some things to dislike about this movie. The most obvious is that it starts with a title screen that says “From above the world of ‘Cars.’” It’s like Disney was shouting, “We hope you saw that movie because that was really cool. This will try to be that, but it’s going to fail.” Beyond that there were a few parts that were a little hokey. Some say “Planes” has weak script writing, but I think the real weak link is Dane Cook. Every time I heard Dusty talk, I kept thinking Owen Wilson would have been great in that role. Then I remembered that Owen voiced Lightning McQueen, the main character in “Cars.” There is no way they would reuse Owen’s voice for what is essentially the same role in a movie that is so connected to “Cars.”

Still, Planes won me over. Roper (Sinbad) and El Chupacabra (Carlos Alazraqui) were hilarious. I liked how Disney showed multiple cultures and gave each its individual identity. They even got a Bollywood actress to voice the Indian plane Ishani. This is a great movie for kids who wonder when they will ever need Science or Math, as the planes constantly talk about gravity, drag, tail winds and moisture levels. It will further bolster arguments that those subjects are good for lots of things.

You don’t need to see Cars before you see this, but there are some ties to that movie. Planes doesn’t have the Radiator Springs emotion of Cars, but it tries to make up for that in other ways. If you liked cars, you will like this.

Final Verdict:
    I’ll let others debate whether this should be a direct-to-home video film. If you have nothing else to do, Planes is a solid movie for you to see. It gets a solid 7 out of 10 in my mind. It doesn’t soar to high heights, but it doesn’t crash and burn. Cars was a favorite with kids and I suspect this series will be as well.

Themes: Friendship is the biggest theme. Dusty’s friendships are strong and he relies on them a lot. His friends also rely on him. Truth and Honesty play a huge role in the movie as well. There is even a slogan about “flying for truth.” And obviously, there is the theme of doing more than what you were “built” to do. I don’t think they really do enough with this or with Dusty conquering his fear of heights, but it’s there.

Disney Nods: I’m pretty sure there is a hidden Mickey in Dottie’s shop. I think the Mexico pavilion from EPCOT in Disney World makes an appearance as well. And of course, there is that blatant title scene designed to tie the movie to ‘Cars.’

Bathroom Break: Early in the movie, there is a montage where Dusty is being trained for the world race. This is a great time to go to the bathroom. You’ll miss the increase in torque and Dusty’s revelation that he’s afraid of heights. That’s the best time. If you have to go later, there is a time where Chupacabra sings and tries to win someone’s heart. I found this part to be very entertaining and would hate for you to miss it, but when you gotta go, you gotta go.

Credits: There is not an ending scene after the credits. DisneyToon takes a page from Marvel and reminds us “Dusty will return in Planes: Fire & Rescue.

Visit www.DisneyMovieReview.com for more reviews of Disney films.
  6. Aug 11, 2013
    At the end of the day, Planes is passable direct-to-video animated entertainment for kids featuring action sequences that are more cinematic in their style but the movie doesn’t deserve a theatrical release, when viewed as a whole. No doubt, many young moviegoers will still enjoy large segments of the film (especially if they see it in 3D), which may well be reason enough for some families to give it a look. Regardless, it’s difficult to ignore how Planes ends up feeling like little more than an (often) dull and nearly-soulless cash grab. Expand
  7. Aug 10, 2013
    I don't know why this movie is bad. Very good at Cars 1, then worst at Cars 2, then very worst at Planes. Maybe I can say like this Cars 1 Cars 2 Planes.

I miss Pixar :(..

Sorry if my English is bad I'm from Indonesia :D
  8. Aug 23, 2013
    I don't get the hate for this movie. I understand the desire to hate it, mostly because it is a Disney Animation Studios spin-off of the highly underrated Cars series (which has a fair amount of unwarranted dislike and hate directed towards it as well) and as such is expected to be of Pixar quality which is itself not a justified thought since it is not Pixar behind this movie or even Pixar's animation team.

Planes is a solid movie that fits well into the established Cars universe that many of us know and love, with a few Cars-ish jokes that take place with Planes instead of Cars. It actually has a number of good jokes and fun characters that are quite enjoyable if you are not too busy still trying to hate the movie for everything it is not before it finishes. I admit it is nothing very special but that doesn't make it automatically bad, it is actually quite good. The story is predictable but so are almost all stories in most all movies if you have watched enough movies, that's not really a valid argument against a movie. Especially in an animated film where the story is meant to be uplifting in a fun way and simply provide amusement, which it does.

Lets think about this for a second, the movie is about talking planes. It is not a thriller or a drama or some sort of mind bending tale meant to evoke a sense of amazement at the level of story telling. It is fine for what it is and for what it tries to be, entertaining and fun. It probably won't win any awards, it probably shouldn't since as I have already said, it isn't really anything special. It will likely be one of the many Disney movies that many people forget about 10 years from now but that still doesn't make it a bad movie.
  9. Sep 11, 2013
    Much like Cars, Planes isn't firing on all cylinders. It's a direct to DVD feature that was upgraded to fill a release gap, a gap most people are currently wishing had stayed vacant. Crop Duster, Dusty Crophopper (Dane Cook) is sick of being a one job plane. Dusty wants to be a racer and with the help of his mentor Skipper (Stacy Keach) and a little luck he might just get to do what he wants. While it does try to at least make sense from a story point of view it doesn't mean its a good film. If all you want to do is make a story that makes sense you haven't really set the bar very high. However the director pretends that's all he needs and carries on regardless in the search for something that can scrape the bottom of average. It doesn't. While the ride works its bumpy, cringe worthy and unoriginal,a trifecta of awfulness that added together makes Planes a horrific viewing experience. Dane Cook is surprisingly not offensive but the whole film is, it insults peoples intelligence as we are forced to watch Cars again. Expand
  10. BKM
    Dec 10, 2013
    Planes is an easy movie to hate, but if you put aside any preconceived notions about it based on negative critic and user reviews, it's not a total disaster. The animation is excellent, it moves along quickly and there are even a few modest chuckles to be had. But it is clearly time for Disney to leave the Cars universe and get back to telling fresh and imaginative stories.
  11. Mar 2, 2014
    It's clear that Disney just phoned in this "Cars" spin-off. Everything I've typically come to expect from a Disney animated movie, like great plot, tons of humor, big name voice actors, and excellent animation, are all lacking. Animation is pretty great, but nowhere near the quality of a typical animated Disney movie. The plot has been done thousands of times before and it is almost completely devoid of any funny moments. It is also really hard to care about any of these characters, especially since the majority of them are irritating. The voice actors do good jobs, but they are mostly C or D-list actors, which is incredibly odd in my opinion.

I found this to be a very mediocre movie that definitely feels like a straight-to-DVD type film, rather than something that actually made it's way into theatres. It's clear that not much effort was put into this film, and that Disney was just trying to get by on the Cars name. I find it hard to imagine that kids will actually enjoy this movie thanks to it's humorless presentation, unless they just really have a thing for airplanes. Parents will get an even worse experience than their kids, who would only find the barest form of entertainment possible here anyway. Truly this is a throwaway and mediocre effort from Disney. If you are looking for a good movie that will entertain you and your little ones on a family movie night, do yourself a favor and pass on this mediocre one. There are plenty of better options.
  12. May 2, 2014
    Planes is pretty much a copy and paste film, Featuring recycled material (both characters and plot) from the films in the Cars series. It's unoriginal and not funny in the slightest. I would not recommend it at all.
  13. Nov 28, 2013
    Pretty much a rehash of the cars movies with less interesting characters, but the same universe, the same types of characters and the same animation styles. I expect more.
  14. Aug 14, 2013
    It's not a terrible movie, but it's a movie that you don't feel in any way shape or form. It's just a plain and forgettable movie with a predictable storyline and surprisingly some cheesy animation. Personally, I think this movie is probably the most underrated movie of the year. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife".
  15. Sep 9, 2013
    In 5 weeks this under-rated movie made US$79 mio including US$4.4 mio last weekend. ON YOUR PLANES CRITICS AS WELLS AS USERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. Nov 27, 2013
    Even my six year old blind daughter hated it. The worst part about it is that there was no story too the movie. And no development of characters what so ever
  17. Aug 20, 2013
    What DisneyToon's (the creators of the Tinkerbell series) are able to accomplish in their most recent animated fare "Planes", are to have made a visually beautiful animation film, with some slapstick humor that may appeal to the younger audiences. While "Planes" may succeed in this, and while it may be enough for some young children, the narrative does suffer. The film's narrative is downright predictable, and a little disappointing, considering that the "Cars" franchise used a lot of its universe to its advantage, while "Planes", uses its universe mostly for puns and stereotypes. While characters like Dusty, may be easy to root for, his story is definitely a little over the top cheesy as the film moves along; which ends up to be a sort of weird and awkwardly structured romance with Dusty and a Indian racer, with them flying around the Taj Mahal. Another thing to note is the film's humor, which would have benefited the film, but unfortunately doesn't work. Most of the humor depends on the characters, which, to me, felt a lot absurd, as many of the characters are a lot cliche to the type of underdog film this is. Though this may seem like negative criticism, the thing that "Planes" does well at is try to get your emotions through this underdog story, which I thought was well done. Though this may be the case, "Planes" has some heart, animation, and slapstick humor that can entertain, but unfortunately is pushed down with its mediocre narrative, absurd humor, and cliche elements. Expand
  18. Aug 30, 2013
    Not good. It's just like Cars and it has nothing new to show us. Only little children under 7 will like it. Awful and very bad. It's, well, bad!! My opinion: Do not try to watch it!! Never!
  19. Aug 19, 2013
    Not As Good As The Cars Movies But It's A Pretty Decent Spin-Off And It's Surprising As Well The Animation Is Nice, The Story Is Hit Miss, The Charters Are Either Funny Or Plain Basic
  20. Aug 18, 2013
    Do you enjoy family movies full of fun and excitement? Do you enjoy clean, good hearted films full of wonderful characters and whimsical places?

Then please, don't watch this movie. The whole time I was waiting for some kind of horrific plane crash in which all characters would burst into flames with death and destruction raining from the sky. The poor ambulance and firetruck cars would
    have to come, sad eyes on their windshields showing tears slowly slipping down their cheeks as they can do nothing but try to find pieces through the wreckage. A wing here and half an eye piece in this heap. Alas, that never happened and instead I had to sit through one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

That is how much I hated this movie.
  21. Aug 30, 2013
    This is my first review, but I felt compelled to do so. I thought Cars was great. Unique story line, characters with depth, comedy, plot development. Planes felt like an hour and a half commercial. Nothing original whatsoever. The underdog has a dream, reluctantly gets mentored by grumpy old man who ends up learning new life lessons in the process. There's the dopey guy. The bad guy. The cute but unattainable girl. Then the underdog wins. Yeah, we saw it already, it was called CARS. I didn't laugh once watching Planes. They're really getting lazy and expecting us to like this uninspired garbage. Hmmmm... whats next? What action figures can they market at Walmart? "Trains" of course. What about "Hot Air Balloons"? A plucky Helium balloon dreams of floating around the world, so he finds a grumpy old man to mentor him, meets a dopey guy along the way, then a bad guy, and then he wins. Action figures coming to Walmart 5/20/14. Expand
  22. Aug 31, 2013
    Cars 2 meets Planes with a recycled plot and characters so one-dimensional, even the sub-Pixar animation style is enough to fill this abysmal cesspit to the brim of its 90 minute runtime. Even more obvious of a cashgrab than Cars 2, the upcoming sequel to this will likely continue Disney's tread in the money over quality production line.
  23. Sep 2, 2013
    Hollywood propaganda machine to its finest A movie glorifying the military, the veterans, the middle-class and classic all-american values. Where's Hollywood imagination? They're feeding ketchup to those kids, always the same ol' sauce.

Seriously, it was obvious that the only countries present in the race were the US allies during Iraq (part II) Canada, Mexico, Brazil, etc. France was
    nowhere to be seen.

With such a thin story, what are we putting in our kid's heads?

This story is the same story, with a few variants, that we've seen over and over. A good spoonful of sauce, carefully cooked by the sociologists, psychologists and think tanks of Washington D.C. and Hollywood (is there any difference?)

If I were you, I would seriously avoid this movie and all others like this one. Feed your kid with some real culture, not this same old ketchup.
  24. Nov 23, 2013
    I can’t believe I’m saying this but this movie makes Cars 2 look enjoyable. Cars 2 didn’t get a low score because it was a bad film but because it was from a studio that was capable of more than an average kids film. This is just a straight up bad movie that I would not recommend watching to anyone outside of toddlers. Outside of some nice flying segments, nice animation on the environments, and decent theme this film has nothing to offer. The characters are boring and cliché and the story is unoriginal borrowing heavily from previous entries in the franchise and lacking the heart those films had (moreso than original Cars). This has to be one of the worst animated films I have ever seen because of how half assed it is. Do yourself a favor and avoid this movie. If you have kids show them another animated film that came out this year like Monsters University or Despicable Me 2 they may not be great they are far more entertaining for the family than this lazy production that was all money no heart (don’t believe me they already have a sequel planned, which they promote at the end credits). Expand
  25. Feb 2, 2014
    This was a movie, that should of went straight to DVD or Blu-ray! Its a low budget movie and it shows in the animations! while watching the movie I felt like the studio just did the movie for the money.
  26. Jan 2, 2014
    Cars was a wreck of a movie and this off shoot is just 'plane' boring. In a year when animated films have not been at their best this must take the dubious honour of being the worst one that I have sat through in 2013. It is derivative, un- funny and unbearably twee. Even more annoyingly it just never stops talking. Noise wise it is very full on, never pausing for breath and yet everything said is total gibberish. Very Poor! Expand
  27. Mar 10, 2014
    Not as bad as I thought it would be. However, there is little original to this movie. Animation is more or less what you would expect for Pixar. Characters are rich and colorful. Voice acting is pretty good by all those involved. However, the script and plot is nothing we haven't seen a million times before, and done far better.

If I had never seen Cars or Cars 2, I might have had a far
    better response to this movie, but the whole movie, regardless of its infectious charm, feels like a money grab and utterly needless.

Overall:
    The movie does have allot of charm and few good moments that will make you smile, but in the end, after watching it, you will be asking yourself, "Did I really need to see that?"
  28. Sep 24, 2013
    I first heard about Planes in late July, then I saw a video game tie-in to the film, then I saw advertisements of toys and other children's items as a tie-in to the film, then I heard about a sequel, Planes: Fire and Rescue set for release in 2014. Then the film came out. And when I saw the film, it was crap. There is always some type of "thing" in every Disney film I've seen that just grips you and sometimes leaving you with a sense of satisfaction, this film does not have that. It seems like the whole purpose of this film is to make a franchise off of it, for profit. The animation says Disney, the story is very cliche and the characters have personalities that you can find in any other underdog film. Kids will drag their parents to see it, have a good time and enjoy it, I know that much. But overall, this film is nothing but, something to keep you occupied for 92 minutes. Expand
  29. Sep 6, 2013
    Our young family are huge Cars fans and loving both films, we all were looking forward to Planes.
    I fell asleep, woke up to find my son asleep, missed about 10 minutes I think.
    Not an entertaining film at all, I'll give it a second chance when it's on TV but at the moment, it's a bit rubbish.
  30. Dec 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If it was not for the abysmal 'Cars 2' and less then glossy 'Brave' recent Pixar releases would look like failers but thanks to these two let downs it makes 'Planes' shine in comparison. It was originally planned to be a direct to DVD release but Disney took the gamble and brought it to the big screen. Some may argue this was a gimmick to sell merchandise but the truth is kids owned toy cars and planes before Pixar came along and their is no doubt they still will when they are gone. This was defiantly the right choice and also clever merging it with the 'Cars' Universe despite not featuring any of the main characters from the Cars franchise.

The film is based around Dusty Crophopper, voiced by Dane Cook is a crop duster plane with a fear of heights. He longs to become a racer and compete in the Wings across the World Championship. With help training from a former Navy War plane named Skipper(Stacy Keach) ,Dusty enters but fails to get past the qualifying stage. However after another plane is disqualified Dusty takes his place.

Like 'Cars' the planes are portrayed as different nationalities including Bulldog, a British plane voiced by John Cleese, Mexican El Chupacabra, Italian Arturo and many more. This gives the film some good humour without being offensive. We also see races across, Germany, China, India and more. The earlier races are brief so do not become tedious.

'Planes' provides a vast amount of charm and will appeal to not only the younger viewers or older viewers as well. The animation is not what we have come to expect from Pixar but neither was Cars and leaves us with little concern. It may not be the best Pixar film but it is by no means the worst and is a worthy addition, sitting somewhere just below the middle.
  31. Nov 8, 2013
    "Planes" feels like a direct-to-DVD release (which it originally was) and is nothing really beyond a kids movie. Disney took Pixar's "Cars" universe and took it to the skies and presented a lazy movie that kids will dig but adults might find boring. The story is pretty standard stuff, the jokes are just a bunch of plane-based puns and some of the cast is great. However, the main character is voiced by Dane Cook and, while he's subdued and not his usual "if I yell my punchline people might find it funny" self, he proves that he's not very good and lacks range. In the end, Disney took a Pixar property and made it for little kids so they could sell a lot of "Planes"-based merchandise. Expand
  32. Aug 30, 2013
    A bizarre combination to get as much advertisement as possible into the shortest amount of time, most of the planes in this movie have their company logotype imprinted all over their bodies, the worst example of this is the American airline monstrosity that makes a appearance in this movie, while i give Disney credit tho, they came up with some unique designs for the planes, The worst part are the racist stereotypes, incarnated into appropriate or disappropriate form depending if you are racist or not. Overall if you have nothing better to show your kids, i´d guess this is better than letting them play with scissors, but there are tons of better child movies out there compared to this. Expand
  33. Sep 20, 2013
    Planes, the Cars spin-off, the result? A big disaster. It's very obvious, that Planes is an innecesary idea, Cars is the less succesful Pixar movie, and someone has the "brilliant" idea to release a spin-off of the franchise. The only good on Planes is the great animation, but the rest is like the movie, innecesary.
  34. Oct 5, 2013
    This movie is under rated I know not like cars but this is good for kids and me a big kid at hart and it shows that we can love the cars world again but I just wish it was well received
  35. Nov 9, 2013
    not bad movie was a good attempt It would be great if it has a little more action and story better visual effects too overall a watchable movie watchable
  36. Dec 21, 2013
    The Croods and Turbo managed to beat the combination Monsters University and Planes (although the latter was not Pixar). Luckily that is not Disney Toons and not from Pixar. Pixar already suffered too because after Cars 2 and Disney Toons and used to deliver bad sequels (Pocahontas 2 Tarzan 2 Cinderellas 2) but also managed some good (Tinkerbell, the movie Break Tigger and the movie). This movie is a descepcion and a very cheap copy of Cars only with Aircraft. The plot is typical and leads to a typical end, lack of charisma to the characters and the short duration (10 is longer than the Tinkerbell minutes). The only thing I liked was the animation accompanied by a good 3D. Do not go see it, if they want to see an animated let it go and wait for another animated film premiere is best. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Aug 15, 2013
    DisneyToon Studios have borrowed so much from Pixar here, and yet they seem to have learned almost nothing.
  2. Reviewed by: Dave Calhoun
    Aug 13, 2013
    There’s nothing groundbreaking about the animation or script. That said, the characters and story still offer low-key charms.
  3. Reviewed by: William Goss
    Aug 12, 2013
    A visually colorful but otherwise vanilla continuation of the series.