3.5

1. BKM
    Dec 10, 2013
    Planes is an easy movie to hate, but if you put aside any preconceived notions about it based on negative critic and user reviews, it's not a total disaster. The animation is excellent, it moves along quickly and there are even a few modest chuckles to be had. But it is clearly time for Disney to leave the Cars universe and get back to telling fresh and imaginative stories.
  2. Mar 2, 2014
    It's clear that Disney just phoned in this "Cars" spin-off. Everything I've typically come to expect from a Disney animated movie, like great plot, tons of humor, big name voice actors, and excellent animation, are all lacking. Animation is pretty great, but nowhere near the quality of a typical animated Disney movie. The plot has been done thousands of times before and it is almostIt's clear that Disney just phoned in this "Cars" spin-off. Everything I've typically come to expect from a Disney animated movie, like great plot, tons of humor, big name voice actors, and excellent animation, are all lacking. Animation is pretty great, but nowhere near the quality of a typical animated Disney movie. The plot has been done thousands of times before and it is almost completely devoid of any funny moments. It is also really hard to care about any of these characters, especially since the majority of them are irritating. The voice actors do good jobs, but they are mostly C or D-list actors, which is incredibly odd in my opinion.

I found this to be a very mediocre movie that definitely feels like a straight-to-DVD type film, rather than something that actually made it's way into theatres. It's clear that not much effort was put into this film, and that Disney was just trying to get by on the Cars name. I find it hard to imagine that kids will actually enjoy this movie thanks to it's humorless presentation, unless they just really have a thing for airplanes. Parents will get an even worse experience than their kids, who would only find the barest form of entertainment possible here anyway. Truly this is a throwaway and mediocre effort from Disney. If you are looking for a good movie that will entertain you and your little ones on a family movie night, do yourself a favor and pass on this mediocre one. There are plenty of better options.
  3. Aug 14, 2013
    It's not a terrible movie, but it's a movie that you don't feel in any way shape or form. It's just a plain and forgettable movie with a predictable storyline and surprisingly some cheesy animation. Personally, I think this movie is probably the most underrated movie of the year. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife".
  4. Aug 20, 2013
    What DisneyToon's (the creators of the Tinkerbell series) are able to accomplish in their most recent animated fare "Planes", are to have made a visually beautiful animation film, with some slapstick humor that may appeal to the younger audiences. While "Planes" may succeed in this, and while it may be enough for some young children, the narrative does suffer. The film's narrative isWhat DisneyToon's (the creators of the Tinkerbell series) are able to accomplish in their most recent animated fare "Planes", are to have made a visually beautiful animation film, with some slapstick humor that may appeal to the younger audiences. While "Planes" may succeed in this, and while it may be enough for some young children, the narrative does suffer. The film's narrative is downright predictable, and a little disappointing, considering that the "Cars" franchise used a lot of its universe to its advantage, while "Planes", uses its universe mostly for puns and stereotypes. While characters like Dusty, may be easy to root for, his story is definitely a little over the top cheesy as the film moves along; which ends up to be a sort of weird and awkwardly structured romance with Dusty and a Indian racer, with them flying around the Taj Mahal. Another thing to note is the film's humor, which would have benefited the film, but unfortunately doesn't work. Most of the humor depends on the characters, which, to me, felt a lot absurd, as many of the characters are a lot cliche to the type of underdog film this is. Though this may seem like negative criticism, the thing that "Planes" does well at is try to get your emotions through this underdog story, which I thought was well done. Though this may be the case, "Planes" has some heart, animation, and slapstick humor that can entertain, but unfortunately is pushed down with its mediocre narrative, absurd humor, and cliche elements. Expand
  5. Aug 19, 2013
    Not As Good As The Cars Movies But It's A Pretty Decent Spin-Off And It's Surprising As Well The Animation Is Nice, The Story Is Hit Miss, The Charters Are Either Funny Or Plain Basic
  6. Aug 9, 2013
    What planes lacks in humor and speech it doesn't do that well in animation. There are some very good flying scenes but I think the toys will make more money than the movie. This is not a movie you would rush to watch, only see it if you have some spare time.
  7. Mar 10, 2014
    Not as bad as I thought it would be. However, there is little original to this movie. Animation is more or less what you would expect for Pixar. Characters are rich and colorful. Voice acting is pretty good by all those involved. However, the script and plot is nothing we haven't seen a million times before, and done far better.

If I had never seen Cars or Cars 2, I might have had a far

If I had never seen Cars or Cars 2, I might have had a far better response to this movie, but the whole movie, regardless of its infectious charm, feels like a money grab and utterly needless.

Overall:
    The movie does have allot of charm and few good moments that will make you smile, but in the end, after watching it, you will be asking yourself, "Did I really need to see that?"
  8. Sep 6, 2013
    Our young family are huge Cars fans and loving both films, we all were looking forward to Planes.
    I fell asleep, woke up to find my son asleep, missed about 10 minutes I think.
    Not an entertaining film at all, I'll give it a second chance when it's on TV but at the moment, it's a bit rubbish.
  9. Nov 8, 2013
    "Planes" feels like a direct-to-DVD release (which it originally was) and is nothing really beyond a kids movie. Disney took Pixar's "Cars" universe and took it to the skies and presented a lazy movie that kids will dig but adults might find boring. The story is pretty standard stuff, the jokes are just a bunch of plane-based puns and some of the cast is great. However, the main"Planes" feels like a direct-to-DVD release (which it originally was) and is nothing really beyond a kids movie. Disney took Pixar's "Cars" universe and took it to the skies and presented a lazy movie that kids will dig but adults might find boring. The story is pretty standard stuff, the jokes are just a bunch of plane-based puns and some of the cast is great. However, the main character is voiced by Dane Cook and, while he's subdued and not his usual "if I yell my punchline people might find it funny" self, he proves that he's not very good and lacks range. In the end, Disney took a Pixar property and made it for little kids so they could sell a lot of "Planes"-based merchandise. Expand
  10. Aug 30, 2013
    A bizarre combination to get as much advertisement as possible into the shortest amount of time, most of the planes in this movie have their company logotype imprinted all over their bodies, the worst example of this is the American airline monstrosity that makes a appearance in this movie, while i give Disney credit tho, they came up with some unique designs for the planes, The worst partA bizarre combination to get as much advertisement as possible into the shortest amount of time, most of the planes in this movie have their company logotype imprinted all over their bodies, the worst example of this is the American airline monstrosity that makes a appearance in this movie, while i give Disney credit tho, they came up with some unique designs for the planes, The worst part are the racist stereotypes, incarnated into appropriate or disappropriate form depending if you are racist or not. Overall if you have nothing better to show your kids, i´d guess this is better than letting them play with scissors, but there are tons of better child movies out there compared to this. Expand
  11. Sep 20, 2013
    Planes, the Cars spin-off, the result? A big disaster. It's very obvious, that Planes is an innecesary idea, Cars is the less succesful Pixar movie, and someone has the "brilliant" idea to release a spin-off of the franchise. The only good on Planes is the great animation, but the rest is like the movie, innecesary.
  12. Dec 19, 2014
    Planes es una película que puede resultar de cierta forma como ver otra vez "Cars", pero desde otra perspectiva, y que no es tan sobresaliente pero sí un tanto sentimentalmente ilustradora.

Esta película que según dice la publicidad: "Del mundo de Cars", contiene poco atractivo y no resulta ser muy capacitada, aunque no es decir que esos dos factores son los mayores problemas de la película, ya que el mayor problema está en que Disney está volviendo a explotar esta historia que ya fue usada hace años con "Cars", claro, con algunos toques nuevos (que la ayudan en algo), y que esta vez son aviones en lugar de carros, pero que por desgracia esta película no se manejó tan bien como se manejó Cars en su tiempo, sin embargo, se las arregla para ser algo idealista y dar un mensaje notable de perseverancia, y eso le ayuda a resultar más influyente (en especial para los niños) al público., por lo tanto, nos encontramos con un film que, sí, tiene problemas en su avión, pero que al fin y al cabo, logra despegar a una altura aceptable y no se quedó en la pista de aterrizaje.

1. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Aug 15, 2013
    DisneyToon Studios have borrowed so much from Pixar here, and yet they seem to have learned almost nothing.
  2. Reviewed by: Dave Calhoun
    Aug 13, 2013
    There’s nothing groundbreaking about the animation or script. That said, the characters and story still offer low-key charms.
  3. Reviewed by: William Goss
    Aug 12, 2013
    A visually colorful but otherwise vanilla continuation of the series.