5.0

1. Aapie
    Apr 14, 2002
    It's the best movie I've seen in 2 years, just look at the apes.
    May 30, 2004
    Tim Burton does another great job. This movie was good all the way through. Enjoy the movie for itself; try not to compare it to the original. Remaking such an icon is a big task at the best of times, and Burton does his best, using his original dark style to the film.
  3. JoeyD.
    Nov 27, 2001
    The Original sucked. It was horribly boring. But Tim Burton has made something really good out of something bad. And most people dont really understand the ending to the movie cuz there are several different explainations and Tim Burton hasnt come out and said which is the right way. The ending wasnt made for people to understand it and then just go home. Tim Burton's intentions were The Original sucked. It was horribly boring. But Tim Burton has made something really good out of something bad. And most people dont really understand the ending to the movie cuz there are several different explainations and Tim Burton hasnt come out and said which is the right way. The ending wasnt made for people to understand it and then just go home. Tim Burton's intentions were to make you think about the film when you leave the theatre and use your imagination. It is the people with no sense of imagination and no artistic ability (Like that moron for the wall street journal) that dont like the ending because they want things plain and simple. But that's not what this movie is about. If you like to wonder and use your imagination then this is a movie for you. But if you want everything with one reasonable explaination then you might want to stay away from this one. Expand
  4. Andrew
    Nov 29, 2003
    I wish the critics would just f@!k off. Seriously you watch a movie to be entertained not to pull the movie apart and question every sigle detail. Get a life....
  5. R.Lopez
    Feb 3, 2009
    Exceptional!! Planet of the Apes is perhaps one of the brainiest and most visually stunning film I've ever seen. Planet of the Apes stars Mark Whalberg as Captain Leo Davidson a 22 century astronaut who while his genetically altered Ape is investigating an electro-magnetic storm suddenly disappears into thin air, Davidson defies orders and takes a pod out into the cloud to look for Exceptional!! Planet of the Apes is perhaps one of the brainiest and most visually stunning film I've ever seen. Planet of the Apes stars Mark Whalberg as Captain Leo Davidson a 22 century astronaut who while his genetically altered Ape is investigating an electro-magnetic storm suddenly disappears into thin air, Davidson defies orders and takes a pod out into the cloud to look for his chimp. But as soon as he enters he losses all control of his ships and is sent into an alternate reality where Apes rule and humans are there slaves. Now Davidson has one shot of getting home, he has to tread across uncharted territory to find a sacred temple which could hold the shocking secrets to mankind's past- and the last hope for it's salvation. Planet of the apes is an amazing Si-Fi epic that will have you cheering for the little guy and will have you on the edge of your seat through out. I give Planet of the apes a 4 out of 5. Expand
  6. DanB.
    Mar 9, 2009
    For someone like me who hasn't seen the original, a type of person I think most reviews failed to consider, I think this is a more than competent, and very thought provoking, fitting modern sci-fi great, genuinly any fan of sci-fi, anyone who cares about animals, anyone who has questions about human nature and whats its all about, with get a lot out of this movie, without it even For someone like me who hasn't seen the original, a type of person I think most reviews failed to consider, I think this is a more than competent, and very thought provoking, fitting modern sci-fi great, genuinly any fan of sci-fi, anyone who cares about animals, anyone who has questions about human nature and whats its all about, with get a lot out of this movie, without it even necessarily needing to be directly related to the viewer, and thats the beauty of it...Enjoy. Expand
  7. R.Lopez
    Jan 28, 2009
  8. Feb 11, 2012
    This mediocre piece of film making is one of, if not the worst remake of all time. Over the top acting, a boring and predictable plot as well as some freakishly realistic makeup make this one definitely worth avoiding. The original will always remain the classic.
  9. ChristianC.
    Aug 24, 2001
    A brilliant film with a fabulous ending!
  10. Sarah
    Sep 20, 2001
    I thought "Planet of the Apes" was the best movie! Tim Roth is the BEST actor in the universe!
  11. RobM.
    May 30, 2004
    This remake was well done and the plot cannot be any better than the first. Very good job on the makeup. The funnest part of the movie was when the human slave trader stated that the worse thing to be in the house is a teen-aged human.
  12. ChristianDeG.
    Aug 24, 2001
    I absolutely love this movie and have spent hours trying to consider possible explanations for the ending.
  13. JaxS.
    Sep 27, 2001
    Please! this flick was fine. What do you want, Shakespeare? I'm in it for the entertainment value and yup, I was entertained. That's all I ask for with this kind of movie. The re-telling was better in that it wasn't some shot by shot remake. Its almost a brand new story which is an inventive tack on Burton's part. The acting was great, Tim Roth's glaring from Please! this flick was fine. What do you want, Shakespeare? I'm in it for the entertainment value and yup, I was entertained. That's all I ask for with this kind of movie. The re-telling was better in that it wasn't some shot by shot remake. Its almost a brand new story which is an inventive tack on Burton's part. The acting was great, Tim Roth's glaring from beneath his brow was darn menacing and Carter's fine acting chops showed through the state of the art make-up. There was plenty of action and I got some good laughs at throw-away lines and references to the first film. Charlton Heston's cameo was a hoot! I looked for the DVD mentioned above and I'll probably order it to hear Elfman talk about the music, in particular. That and all the making-of stuff. Anyway, if you like sci-fi fun I'd say rent it, buy it, see on the big screen if its still around. Expand
    Mar 19, 2002
    Didn't understand the last bit but everything else was Super.
  15. MichaelC.
    Sep 14, 2001
    I had very mixed feelings about this film. I liked the start...However, as soon as we got to know the nature of the apes, I started to really despise this movie. I thought it was pathetic, gay and boring. Personally, I found it hard to take the ?ape city? thing seriously. That lasted for about 25 minutes or so and then BAM! the action hit me like a bomb and I loved it. That lasted for I had very mixed feelings about this film. I liked the start...However, as soon as we got to know the nature of the apes, I started to really despise this movie. I thought it was pathetic, gay and boring. Personally, I found it hard to take the ?ape city? thing seriously. That lasted for about 25 minutes or so and then BAM! the action hit me like a bomb and I loved it. That lasted for pretty much the rest of the movie. All of it was a blast after the crappy parts in the ape city and I was really entertained watching the adventure and escapist story. The apes themselves can be sort of unintentionally funny at times, but the make-up for them was amazing! Wow, I just gave up trying to guess who the actors where after a while because the ape make-up was so astounding and convincing, you couldn?t even tell who?s eyes were under that hunk of hair! The actors do well, Mark Wahlberg fits the leading role well and gives it his all. I don?t think his character was very considerate and I think he tried to be a little too much like Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic, but apart from that, he?s done well. Helena Bonham Carter was really fantastic and has the pleasure of playing the most developed character in Planet of the Apes, giving her character and performance depth, more-so than Wahlberg?s sometimes selfish hero. Tim Roth was evil and believable and the most ape-like actor in the film. Tim Burton?s direction shines through the movie, especially the final reel. He puts focus to his camera-work and knows he?s up to the job. Some of the characters are annoying at times but you all care about what happens to them. Collapse
  16. LizB.
    Sep 25, 2001
    This is one of my favorite movies this year. I love what Burton brings to the classic story of Planet of the Apes, and I'm looking forward to owning the DVD as soon as I can!
  17. LizB.
    Sep 25, 2001
  18. Aug 7, 2011
    i liked this movie! was it better than the rise of the planet of the apes NO! and there not that relate-able. everyone says its not that good and they just hate on it for no reason. i saw it and i enjoyed it... the apes look really good for just make up and other stuff. the acting was good. Mark Walhberg is always! good if hes in a bad movie its not hes fault! the ending was awesomei liked this movie! was it better than the rise of the planet of the apes NO! and there not that relate-able. everyone says its not that good and they just hate on it for no reason. i saw it and i enjoyed it... the apes look really good for just make up and other stuff. the acting was good. Mark Walhberg is always! good if hes in a bad movie its not hes fault! the ending was awesome because it makes u think? although it is a bit trippy and weird it was amazing. i have not seen the original, and i probably wont. but this movie is good. people just hate for no reason. losers! Expand
  19. Nov 23, 2011
    Exciting! A very delicate story with a best cast, especially Mark Wahlberg's performance in the film. This was WAY better than the 1968 film. There needs to be a sequel to see what happens after what happens in the end of the film.
  20. Feb 16, 2013
    Remake no solo correcto sinĂ³ innovador, con un redoble de tuerca. Guapo Mark Whalberg. Simios muy bien caracterizados. Doble historia de amor. Necesaria para todo friki.
  21. Dec 30, 2013
    Planet of the apes is a intriguing universe filled with excitement and believe it or not apes! Apart from the lack of character chemistry it is made even by the different personalities. This movie has some impressive set, apes and CGI that really bring the movie to life. Apart from the confusing plot twist you and in for one hell of a ride.

Burton's made a film that's respectful to the original, and respectable in itself, but that's not enough. Ten years from now, it will be the 1968 version that people are still renting.
    With the exception of a battle scene with apes on all fours charging the humans, the film is monumentally silly.
    When Mr. Burton's "Planet" fixes on being entertaining...it succeeds. But the picture states its social points so bluntly that it becomes slow-witted and condescending; it treats the audience as pets.