Prime

6.4

1. JackM.
    Mar 9, 2006
    A well crafted, honest film with strong performances and engaging characters. It's sort of an "anti-studio" film, avoiding all the paint-by-numbers cliches and trite twists of sappy Hollywood romantic comedies.
  2. amaols.
    Nov 12, 2005
    A movie that cuts through a lot of the typical hollywood BS storyline and BS characters with BS emotions.
  3. AlanG
    Jul 10, 2007
    Meryl Streep is an absolute joy to watch. She can do it all. So her character and the plot weren't totally realistic. But who cares. It's a comedy. In fact I'd say it was somewhat in keeping with the screwball comedies of the 40's. Uma Thurman delivered a first rate performance. It was nice to see her in a non-Tarantino film. The woman can act. I also liked the fact Meryl Streep is an absolute joy to watch. She can do it all. So her character and the plot weren't totally realistic. But who cares. It's a comedy. In fact I'd say it was somewhat in keeping with the screwball comedies of the 40's. Uma Thurman delivered a first rate performance. It was nice to see her in a non-Tarantino film. The woman can act. I also liked the fact that the ending wasn't your typical Hollywood, everything works out perfectly ending. Expand
  4. DerekG.
    Nov 6, 2005
    The critics who gave this movie a bad score obviously have no emotions and have never been in a relationship like the one portrayed in this film. While the relationship does feel a bit forced and superficial at the beginning, you really begin to empathize with the characters and understand what they're experiencing. Meryl Streep is great as always, and Uma Thurman really outdoes The critics who gave this movie a bad score obviously have no emotions and have never been in a relationship like the one portrayed in this film. While the relationship does feel a bit forced and superficial at the beginning, you really begin to empathize with the characters and understand what they're experiencing. Meryl Streep is great as always, and Uma Thurman really outdoes herself as well. The new guy is pretty good too. Plus, for those who claim that the movie goes nowhere, it's because it has a realistic finish. It kind of feels like a big-budget movie trying to be an indie, or perhaps the other way around. Expand
  5. ElaineH.
    Mar 20, 2006
    I've been recommending this movie to everyone I know. It's absolutely terrific. The characters are so real, and everything just works in this gem. It has a "real" ending, too, like real life, not some Tinseltown fantasy. Don't miss it!
  6. LesM.
    Oct 25, 2005
    Genuinely amusing comedy with fine performances and a witty, knowing screenplay. Thurman is ravishingly pretty and proves herself a fine comedy actress - who knew? She is ably supported by Streep who narrowly misses caricature and by Greenberg who is an attractive leading man. There are worse ways to spend a couple of hours than seeing this crowdpleaser.
  7. mm
    Oct 28, 2005
    Fantastic meryl streep is SO funny and SO touching.
  8. TabU.
    Oct 29, 2005
    Deliciously fun and entertaining, the funniest comedy of the year with an authentic and sincere romantic love storyline.
  9. JimS.
    Oct 31, 2005
    I really enjoyed this one. Often, these movies are cute but boring, but this one was witty and entertaining. I thoroughly enjjoyed it.
  10. GinaA.
    Mar 12, 2006
    One of the best romantic comedies in the last ten years. This is truly a wonderful film, filled with laughs and heartbreak, too. One of Uma Thurman's best roles.
  11. DaveH.
    Mar 22, 2006
    A real treat. Interesting three-dimensional, real characters with genuine flaws. Not tied up with a neat little bow at the end. It was marketed as a "romantic comedy," but that's selling it short, because genre branding has become such a pejorative. It has some very, very funny moments and scenes, but it also has much more depth and reality than most big Hollywood films. The three A real treat. Interesting three-dimensional, real characters with genuine flaws. Not tied up with a neat little bow at the end. It was marketed as a "romantic comedy," but that's selling it short, because genre branding has become such a pejorative. It has some very, very funny moments and scenes, but it also has much more depth and reality than most big Hollywood films. The three leads are outstanding. Expand
  12. JamesB.
    Apr 18, 2006
    Very light & enjoyable; great cast. Believable. Streep is always good. Although we've seen it before, the family being Jewish adds a nice layer of humor to the movie. A fresh take on an old premise.
  13. Sam
    Apr 6, 2006
    It's Something's gotta Give meets Napoleon Dynamite. While it might sound perfectly awful in comparison (Great romantic comedy and great deadpan comedy usually doesn't work), it's a perfectly fun movie.
  14. TonyB.
    Jul 31, 2006
    Cute, funny, endearing. Pretty well written, as well. As a suggle on the couch rental, excellent; had I paid $9, I'd have said "ok." (I'm a Meryl Streep fanantic. She could wear a burka stand against a plain white background, and chant th eKoran, and I'd gladly watch. Add Uma, and who neeeds a plot?!)
  15. Ronnie
    Nov 11, 2005
    I really enjoyed this movie no matter what the critics or stuck up movie junkies said. The movie is funny, sexy, scandalous and just plain good. Uma looks so great in this movie that I just wanted to be Brian Greenberg for 5 minutes. The only improvement I would suggest is to set up the mother son relationship better because all of us don't come from a Jewish home. We need to I really enjoyed this movie no matter what the critics or stuck up movie junkies said. The movie is funny, sexy, scandalous and just plain good. Uma looks so great in this movie that I just wanted to be Brian Greenberg for 5 minutes. The only improvement I would suggest is to set up the mother son relationship better because all of us don't come from a Jewish home. We need to understand the overbearing Jewish mother more, as well as Uma's insecurities. All we get is that she is newly divorced. Otherwise I really enjoyed this film, especially the anti-Hollywood ending. Cheers! Expand
  16. Alessandra
    Nov 22, 2005
    I absolutely loved this movie! Although I am a sucker for romantic comedies, I don't say about many movies. Prime is different from most of the crap that is out there. The characters are realistic. The preformances are outstanding. The ending just brings the whole film together. Go see it!
  17. SamS.
    Nov 6, 2005
    Kate and Leapold style. Wonderful romantic comedy with subub preformences
  18. JackS.
    Dec 22, 2006
    Better than expected--about 30 minutes too long, but great performances (and thurman is fantastic).
  19. WayneW.
    Mar 11, 2006
    My wife and I both tremendously enjoyed this movie. We agreed it's as strong as "Annie Hall". I was surprised to read that Sandra Bullock originally was to appear in the Uma Thurman role. I think that would've been a big mistake. Miss Thurman brought so much heart to this movie. We've been recommending it to all our friends. It's just wonderful.
  20. TyroneJ.
    Mar 26, 2006
    I loved this movie. It seemed so real about genuine people. It had something to say. The end left me with real tears. See it and be surprised.
  21. WayneB.
    Apr 12, 2006
    A strong film with realistic and well-realized characters. Things get realistically messy and it's not all tied up neatly with a bow at the end. It's a genuine treat.
  22. SarahY.
    Nov 11, 2005
    Uma and Streep both are wonderful. Yes the plot drags a little, and there are points in the movie where you'd fastforward if you had a remote to the movie screen. However, it remains overall a funny and heartfelt movie. The ending is perfect for this movie and it really touched me.

Younger knows it's fun to watch Rafi and David cross lines of age, culture and religion. He also knows it's painful. That's what makes his movie hilarious and heartfelt.
  2. A prime example of a solid romantic comedy.
  3. Reviewed by: Ronnie Scheib
    Despite a comic Yiddishe mama turn by Meryl Streep and a sensitively nuanced performance by Uma Thurman in a convincing changeup from her recent kickass action roles, Prime remains an oddly juiceless older woman-younger man romance, with a Freudian twist.