7.3

1. Mar 2, 2014
    Surprisingly good. Except one thing I think they messed up on which they really shouldn't had is the clothes that the prince wears. He's wearing Warrior Within clothing, not sands of time. But whatever.

Now obviously when it goes from video game to film 99% of the time it goes horribly wrong. But despite the film not being 100% based on the video game it did do a pretty good job. I wish they portrayed it more like in the video game but at the same time you have to make it entertaining for those who haven't watched it.

Besides those few things that bored me this isn't actually a bad film at all...
  2. Sep 21, 2011
    This movie had great costume and scenery. I really enjoyed watching the movie and it reminded me of Aladdin with the kid in the beginning stealing and then running. Later it reminded me of Sinbad with the sword. I liked how they portrayed the dervishes and their ritualism as something dark and magical being a fan of Sufism.
  3. Sep 25, 2010
    Easily my favourite game-to-movie adaptation, and probably one of the best, The Sands of Time is a fun action flick, that while slightly Pirates of the Caribbean-esque, TSOT is an extremely enjoyable film and Jake Gyllenhaal plays the role of the previously unnamed Prince, Dastan. As for the rest of the acting, it is quite reasonable and is a very enjoyable film.
    If you haven't seen it, go
    If you haven't seen it, go out and buy it.
    Now.
  4. Jul 13, 2011
    Having never played any Prince of Persia games, I can't comment on how faithful this movie was to the games. However, as a movie, it was boring and didn't make much sense.
  5. Sep 29, 2010
    Prince of Persia was decent, but only decent. It had more cheesy parts than memorable, awesome parts. Jake Gyllenhaal wasn't too bad as Prince Dastan, an adopted member of the royal family of Persia who stumbles upon a mysterious dagger which contains the amazing ability to rewind time when fueled with the great sands of time (which the origin of is never clearly explained). While thePrince of Persia was decent, but only decent. It had more cheesy parts than memorable, awesome parts. Jake Gyllenhaal wasn't too bad as Prince Dastan, an adopted member of the royal family of Persia who stumbles upon a mysterious dagger which contains the amazing ability to rewind time when fueled with the great sands of time (which the origin of is never clearly explained). While the movie sells itself solely on the Disney, Jerry Bruckheimer, Pirates of the Caribbean producers, it fails to live up to any of the "Pirates" films. The adventure wasn't too bad, but unbelievable sets, cheesy accents and dialogs and ridiculous costumes tend to drag the audience into self questioning "Am i an idiot for watching this?". Well, you wouldn't exactly be classified as an idiot since this is a wedge (and that is definitely a cheese wedge) of fiction, but i just have to know, do these writers honestly think we are going to keep buying this crap? As for the movie itself, the acting was okay. Alfred Molina sort of did a really pathetic job to say the least, Gyllenhaal did what he could for the thin, video game based role which sadly doesn't cross the 'memorable' bridge. I never really played too many of the Prince of Persia video games. I did play the original and it always just kind of seemed like a satire of Persian adventure which is what the movie is in its entirety but to me it just had too much of that stupid, family oriented, Disney ride kind of adventure, much like "Sorcerers Apprentice" which is a Disney stink gem as well. I guess Prince of Persia was decent for what it was, but just decent. Expand
  6. Sep 25, 2010
    With the big budget that it had i believed that it would be a great film....i was wrong. I give that vote for the stupid use of the budget, the banal recitation and the end, banaler than the history.
  7. Oct 31, 2010
    a rousing and great adaptation of the video game.

Rating: 86%
  8. Nov 23, 2010
    Seeing as this is based on a video game, it fares a bit better than the others. Where it gets only average is the entire film seems like homage to other movies. A dramatic landscape here, ninjas here, two eventual love interests being rude to each other, or a dark menacing bad guy/traitor shot here...it all feels so bland, with only a few visual pick me ups.
  9. Dec 8, 2010
    this movie was okay. Disney did a fine job with this movie. In played the game and didn't like it, but the movie is good unlike the game. They did a fine job with the writing for this movie and picking the cast for this movie. I think all the cast fits their character. Good movie to have on blu ray and dvd. This movie did get boring on a lot of parts but i manage to stay up and finish this movie.
  10. Nov 30, 2010
    This movie was very interesting even though the main idea came from a video game (a very successful VG.) I thought that Disney did a good job on graphics and music but still seemed a little cartoonish. Some parts more than few hooked you into the movie. It made you wonder and believe the movie was happening like your there.
  11. Mar 6, 2011
    While I wasn't expecting much with this it movie as most movie video game adaptions turn out crap (and the fact that it was made by Disney), I was shocked with how good this turned out to be, while it's not as good as the video game it's loosely based on, it's still a good experience, fans of the game may be disappointed it's still a good movie from beginning to end.
  12. Feb 2, 2011
    After contemplating today on how I had to sit through this film twice, I knew I had to give my take on the attempt at entertainment. Was it a terrible movie? By no means. Was it good? Absolutely not. It runs it's course being so bland and predictable, it will satisfy the simplest viewers and the simplest viewers only. Everything about the film is obvious: The ending, the romance, theAfter contemplating today on how I had to sit through this film twice, I knew I had to give my take on the attempt at entertainment. Was it a terrible movie? By no means. Was it good? Absolutely not. It runs it's course being so bland and predictable, it will satisfy the simplest viewers and the simplest viewers only. Everything about the film is obvious: The ending, the romance, the "hidden" bad guy. In the end, "Prince of Persia" ends up being a B-version "Pirates of the Caribbean". Expand
  13. Jun 12, 2011
    This movie was far better then I thought it would be. As far as video game movies go this one is bar far the best of the bunch. This movie has a solid plot and solid acting. The pacing of the plot was very well timed lasting long enough to keep you interested and into it but never going on for to long. Are there some cheesy moments? Of course there are, there are lines that are laughableThis movie was far better then I thought it would be. As far as video game movies go this one is bar far the best of the bunch. This movie has a solid plot and solid acting. The pacing of the plot was very well timed lasting long enough to keep you interested and into it but never going on for to long. Are there some cheesy moments? Of course there are, there are lines that are laughable and some scenes that are just doofy, but the movie keeps you entertained and thats overall the most important thing. If you come into this movie expecting the next cinema classic then you will be disappointed but if you are expecting an entertaining action movie then you will be happy you checked it out. Expand
  14. Jul 22, 2011
    This is one of my favorite movies of 2010. I don't understand the negative reviews by critics. Loved the two lead characters and Jake Gyllenhaal once again demonstrated his versatility as an actor.
  15. Nov 11, 2011
    The POP The Sands of Time wasn't the film that I expected...The story was so different...It's so bored...No monster...Nizam is not powerfull...Why is there a Tamina Princess...There's no need...We (POP's fan) need a Farah and all the thing belong to the game...The only thing that I love is the dagger...But the dagger can be used as a weapon in the game, now just a accessory in the filmThe POP The Sands of Time wasn't the film that I expected...The story was so different...It's so bored...No monster...Nizam is not powerfull...Why is there a Tamina Princess...There's no need...We (POP's fan) need a Farah and all the thing belong to the game...The only thing that I love is the dagger...But the dagger can be used as a weapon in the game, now just a accessory in the film with the recall function and no more...Five is good for this film...I'm so sorry Ubisoft Expand
  16. Jan 2, 2012
    Gemma Arterton gives a basically annoying and cliche performance, but Jake Gyllenhaal gives a charming and funny performance. The movie is based on a video game so its storyline basically doomed the movie. But Prince of Persia is one of the most entertaining films of the year. I give this movie 31%.
  17. Dec 8, 2011
    This was a movie i think that a lot of people were skeptic about and so they failed to keep an open mind. The result was bad ratings. This movie is a feel good movie with plenty of action along the way. although a little cheesy if your a james bond fan give it a whirl because a good friend of mind who is a james bond fanatic and a movie connoiseur watched out of my recomondation and loved.This was a movie i think that a lot of people were skeptic about and so they failed to keep an open mind. The result was bad ratings. This movie is a feel good movie with plenty of action along the way. although a little cheesy if your a james bond fan give it a whirl because a good friend of mind who is a james bond fanatic and a movie connoiseur watched out of my recomondation and loved. a movie with LOTS of parcour and action as well as enough twists and turns to keep you on the edge of your seat once this movie starts rolling. Just dont assume the bad guy ;). Collapse
  18. Aug 24, 2014
    The first half of the movie was rather good, but after that it just began to fall apart; scene after scene, hard-to-keep-up-with information about the dagger and the hourglass, fighting and strange new people whose part was sort of explained, but not well enough...

I've never played the game, but I assume many of the film's special camera movements/angles were there to link the game to the movie. Also, Jake Gyllenhaal as Dastan was like a flying monkey, jumping and spinning and flying. Sure, that was nice to look at, but I guess that was all a tribute to the game.

I didn't dare to expect much of this movie, and thus am not totally heartbroken about how the film ended. And what an ending it was... While the movie itself had a lot of clichéd moments, not to mention nothing truly surprising, it still kept some kind of nice vibe going. The end, however, fell flat on its ass (and we all know how much a bad ending affects the whole movie in general).

Jake Gyllenhaal has never been one of my favorite actors, but I have to say the long hair rather suits him. Seeing Gemma Arterton (Tamina) in such a similar role to that of "Clash of the Titans" was a bit eerie (sure, the parts are not completely alike, but there are many similarities... not to mention she looks exactly the same ;)

A cheap thrill in some ways; nothing surprising, the movie looks just about as good as it can these days, and there are some elements of surprise. Ben Kingsley (Nizam) looked good, but he could look a bit LESS predictable sometimes... please?
  19. Jan 17, 2012
    I simply like this film. Nice story and very nice FX. I like this ancient historical stuffs. And I was stunning over acting of the Jake Gyllenhaal. I simply put the 10 on this film.
  20. Feb 9, 2013
    I too was a little worried when I first started watching but it ended up being one of the best video game films, if not the best, imo. Gyllenhaal was a great pick for the lead, Kingsley is solid as well but doesn't get enough on screen time imo, The rest of the cast is solid as well. Did not care for the director though, I felt he ruined what could have been some good shots and should theyI too was a little worried when I first started watching but it ended up being one of the best video game films, if not the best, imo. Gyllenhaal was a great pick for the lead, Kingsley is solid as well but doesn't get enough on screen time imo, The rest of the cast is solid as well. Did not care for the director though, I felt he ruined what could have been some good shots and should they make a sequel, I'd like to see him replaced. Overall, Its a pretty solid movie and worth watching. Expand
  21. Mar 7, 2012
    I watched the movie and I was surprised but how good it was. Usually "the movie of the game" tends to be... well, bad. This, on the other hand was very funny to watch, the story was intruguing even though the villain could not be more blatant. Main character is engaging, seriously, who doesn't like Jake Gyllenhaal (hope it is spelled that way). I really don't understand why this movieI watched the movie and I was surprised but how good it was. Usually "the movie of the game" tends to be... well, bad. This, on the other hand was very funny to watch, the story was intruguing even though the villain could not be more blatant. Main character is engaging, seriously, who doesn't like Jake Gyllenhaal (hope it is spelled that way). I really don't understand why this movie gets so much hate. Expand
  22. Nov 15, 2012
    The game is cheesy, but to be honest I was expecting far far worse. The main actor for this did actually do a decent job with the prince because in the actual game the prince is kind of a wise guy. The game doesn't follow the game perfectly but since it's a Disney movie I can understand why, I guess undead sand demons don't fly in Disney world (yet they had undead pirates in the firstThe game is cheesy, but to be honest I was expecting far far worse. The main actor for this did actually do a decent job with the prince because in the actual game the prince is kind of a wise guy. The game doesn't follow the game perfectly but since it's a Disney movie I can understand why, I guess undead sand demons don't fly in Disney world (yet they had undead pirates in the first Pirates of the Carribean movie....). Cheesy but surprisingly entertaining. Expand
  23. Feb 28, 2013
    Good old fashioned fun. The historical inaccuracies were many but frankly I didn't care about them. I am a fan of the games and am glad they adapted the series for film. It achieved its goal to entertain without being pretentious. I'm guessing they didn't set out to make a critically acclaimed film, so I took it for what it was and enjoyed it.
  24. Jan 6, 2013
    A movie that fales to even capture my interest with the running shots and then we go to a love story that doesn't have any development and leads to just a load of crap.
  25. Apr 10, 2013
    A very good adventure movie set in the middle east. There are good mixtures of action and comedy scenes in the movie. The main actor/character was pretty good although didn't see him do those cool wall running, etc like in the video games. And not many boss fights...disappointing. And no going through traps and pitfalls like it should be. But the movie is interesting and entertaining toA very good adventure movie set in the middle east. There are good mixtures of action and comedy scenes in the movie. The main actor/character was pretty good although didn't see him do those cool wall running, etc like in the video games. And not many boss fights...disappointing. And no going through traps and pitfalls like it should be. But the movie is interesting and entertaining to keep me watching. The main badguy was actually pretty good with a nice storyline. the girl was also pretty good, although I wanted to see her in action as well. In the end, its a good guy movie with them always coming out on top. No problem with that, but it just happend too easy? Expand
  26. Apr 13, 2013
    i don't understand why everyone is being obnoxious about this it's a great movie great story line great performances i mean yeah it's not an epic movie like troy but who cares it's a movie based on a video game it was a surprise that it came that way Jake Gyllenhaal did a spectacular performance and the movie is fun fast and memorable a solid 7 out of 10 is perfect for this movie.
  27. Mar 27, 2013
    Great acting and actions, entertaining twists throughout the movie. Near the end, the details were a bit fuzzy, but that is my only concern, Jake Gyllenhaal and Gemma Arterton have great chemistry.
  28. Mar 27, 2013
    They destroyed my favourite game. They could at least pass over the superb atmosphere from the game to the film, thing that they didn't do. You dissapoint me disney, you had a very big budget but didn't use it to your advantage.
  29. Jun 13, 2013
    I really enjoy these types of movies. At their heart movies such as Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time are supposed to be fun and adventure filled escapist entertainment. This is where the movie succeeds. First of all the movie is a visual palette of wondrous colors, scenery, architecture, costumes and characters that transports the viewer to another place and time. Secondly the story hasI really enjoy these types of movies. At their heart movies such as Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time are supposed to be fun and adventure filled escapist entertainment. This is where the movie succeeds. First of all the movie is a visual palette of wondrous colors, scenery, architecture, costumes and characters that transports the viewer to another place and time. Secondly the story has all the right elements from heroism, bravery, treachery, betrayal, familial love and loyalty along with romance and laughter. Thirdly the story is epic in scope but intimate in its execution.

Based on a video game, which I have never seen, the story follows the adventure of Dastan a Prince of Persia, splendidly portrayed by Jake Gyllenhaal, who had been adopted by the king as a peasant living in poverty on the streets. Raised along with his adopted brothers Dastan leads his brothers and their armies to capture the city of Alamut where he meets the city's beautiful princess Tamina, portrayed by the enchanting and stunning, Gemma Arterton, and he comes in possession of a mysterious dagger with time traveling abilities. That is the gist of the story and I will not go into great detail on the finer points of the story.

The movie is a fantasy and it is fun and enjoyable. If you enjoy fun, adventure filled fantasy epics the Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is a great popcorn munching movie to escape into for a while. It will be time well spent.
  30. Nov 30, 2013
    A terrible video game movie that stands on top of a heap of bad video game movies, vying for Prince of the Mountain.

The only things about this movie that are decent, are the visuals and the action. Past that, it's nothing but a hurricane of the worst Hollywood cliches, forced romance between two irritating characters, and a story that is a shadow of what was presented in the video game series.

Play any of the Prince of Persia games for a better experience, even the original 2D side scrollers.
  31. Jun 30, 2014
    My favorites movies in general are based on games. Every things was nice in the movie. Very complete.
    I find the story original and interesting. The special effect was very well done. Very surprised it didn't get more sucess.
  32. Mar 15, 2015
    The best, an possibly the only good video game movie adaptation. It manages to make a coherent plot and characters that are worth caring about. The dialogue is poor in scenes but this is worth the watch.
  33. Dec 23, 2014
    I must of saw this movie over 100 times and each time I can pick out something new. This movie reminds me of my second marriage which I'm still living. I am separated from my wife, however I still feel like I'm fighting a battle to get back to her. Similarly, just like in the movie when the prince falls in love with the princess.

It's clear that they fall in love early in the movie

It's clear that they fall in love early in the movie when the prince captures the dagger. Throughout the entire movie the prince and princess get to know each other better and better. The turning point is finally when the princess becomes totally honest with the prince.

A true heart filling love story at its best, a man fighting to expose the truth to save the Holy City. The deep message is trust no one, except what your heart tells you. Basically, in life, don't listen to others that have no clue about all the facts. The fact of this movie is that true love will prevail over any adverse situation.

Gemma played the most beautiful princess that I've seen. Her sexiness and strong will to survive really hit a home run with me. Jake was superb in protecting all of his true loved ones even though he was an orphan boy and had no real family.

A sequel to this movie should be made, I would love nothing more than to see the prince and princess be married and raise their own family.
  34. Apr 17, 2016
    In the holy city of Alamut resides the Sands of Time, which gives mortals the power to turn back time. After leading an attack on the city, Dastan, the adopted son of Persia's king, acquires a dagger that gives the one who holds it access to the Sands. Dastan goes on the run with an Alamut princess named Tamina after being accused of killing his father. The pair must protect the ancientIn the holy city of Alamut resides the Sands of Time, which gives mortals the power to turn back time. After leading an attack on the city, Dastan, the adopted son of Persia's king, acquires a dagger that gives the one who holds it access to the Sands. Dastan goes on the run with an Alamut princess named Tamina after being accused of killing his father. The pair must protect the ancient treasure from dark forces and unmask the king's assassin. Expand
  35. May 24, 2015
    The only game of this I've played is the first few hours of the 2008 Prince of Persia, and I didn't care for it. However, this movie is based on a different game (although probably rather loosely). I enjoyed it as an action movie, with well-made fight scenes. The mediocre metacritic score is probably due to them judging the plot too harshly, which I'll admit could be improved on but isThe only game of this I've played is the first few hours of the 2008 Prince of Persia, and I didn't care for it. However, this movie is based on a different game (although probably rather loosely). I enjoyed it as an action movie, with well-made fight scenes. The mediocre metacritic score is probably due to them judging the plot too harshly, which I'll admit could be improved on but is still pretty decent. I think the user score is much more accurate of the quality of this movie, though. It's worth watching once (if not twice) for its action scenes and its story and characters are pretty decent, too. Don't avoid it just because it's a "game movie". Expand
  36. Oct 11, 2015
    Critics, PFFT. If they know nothing of a video game, they shouldn't post an article in the first place. The movie is great and reminiscent to the Prince of Persia Lore.
  37. May 17, 2016
    Not bad especially being exactly remade from the PlayStation 2, Xbox, and GameCube game named the same thing by Ubisoft. Three things missing are hope, excitement, and joy from the video game that inspired it.
  38. Mar 2, 2016
    The only good thing about this movie is the special effects! This movie is boring, tedious, and the ending has gotta be one of the worst cop out endings I have seen in a movie!

1. Mixing old-fashioned content and state of the art effects, this Jerry Bruckheimer production trades ‘pirates' for ‘princes' to revive the swashbuckling, sword fighting spirit of the sort Douglas Fairbanks or Errol Flynn specialized.
  2. A handsome, fast-paced and innocuous adventure that's easy to take but lacks epic scale.
    Bruckheimer's passably enjoyable, antiquity-themed epic should satisfy its young male core demographic well enough, but won't connect with other auds on the level of Bruckheimer's "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise.