9.2

1. Sep 29, 2011
    "Princess Mononoke" is simply a masterpiece. The characters have the capacity to develop itself into any type; romance, action, horror, and so on. The story is simply linear but very symbolistic in diverse ways. It's a definite must-watch.
  2. Mar 4, 2013
    The only animated epic I can think of that perfects human drama and the evils of industrialisation. An absolutely wonderful film that gives you goosebumps whenever you watch it a second time. It may even some viewers cry. This is not a kids movie, and Princess Mononoke shows that animation can tell stories that are impossible to tell through live action film. In case anybody is interested, this is also the movie (among others) that inspired James Cameron's AVATAR, especially the main story.

In fact, AVATAR is basically a remake of this. Personally, this is the superior movie and I will remember it longer than that $237 million budgeted movie.
  3. Mar 14, 2013
    Great art design with some beautiful pictures. The story is not a good vs. bad klischee plot but offers various characters, all having their own reasonable motivations. Soundtrack is also great work. Still it lacks something to be truly a 10/10 movie.
  4. Mar 29, 2013
    Indisputably (in my opinion) Ghibli's true masterpiece. Spirited Away is slightly overrated, but this is vastly underrated. The story keeps going at a decent pace, but never feels forced. The characters almost all experience some sort of development over the course of the film. Also, the animation surpasses even Studio Ghibli's awesome standards. The scenery is beautiful, and the near-apocalyptic climax is one of the most 'epic' scenes I have ever seen in any film. Unless you truly hate all of anime, Studio Ghibli, nature, wolves and film, this will take your breath away. I fail to see how it could be improved. Do not let the length put you off. Expand
  5. Apr 23, 2013
    I would go as far to say that Princess Mononoke is as perfect a film as one could ever make. Miyazaki has created an experience that is visually and emotionally arresting. Each frame of this film could be sold as a painting, it's just that beautiful. Miyazaki's message of tolerance, self-control, and finding harmony with our surroundings is equally beautiful the amazing thing about Princess Mononoke's narrative is that there is no concrete antagonist; you could find something relatable and lovable about every character drawn to the screen. The performances delivered by the voice actors for the Japanese and English versions- are both top notch.

This is a film that will survive the test of time due to its visual and thematic majesty, and each of these beautifully realized properties work together to make an experience that is easy to get lost in again and again. Everyone should give this film a watch, it offers so much more to an audience than just escapism; it serves to delight as much as it does teach.
  6. Sep 10, 2013
    "Princess Mononoke" is simply a masterpiece. I have watched it 3 times and I'm sure I'll watch many times more. why the mediocre critic reviews? I say mediocre because it is the best animation I've ever seen and I have seen lots of them.
  7. Nov 2, 2010
    I bought this movie because I saw a friend in school with a graphic novel about it. I think this movie introduced me to Japanese animation and I still think it is the best of it's kind and much better than most mainstream movies out these. It is better not to spoil anything but trust me almost anyone with an open mind to anime films will love this movie.
  8. Oct 24, 2010
    Hayao Miyazaki's first japanese animation debut in america to ever make such a grand classic like Princess Mononoke.
  9. Feb 22, 2011
    Princess Mononoke is an epic piece of animation about greedy human capitalism and its consequent destruction of flora and fauna. The main character is against extremes of opinions and therefore tries to fight for a symbiotic balance between humans and the world of the forest, for all beings ought to work together in a world of peace and respect, rather than to exploit and kill one another. This is not a children's movie because it is quite brutal and scary at times. However, there is also fun, cuteness, feminism, and no boredom throughout the movie. Very recommended. Expand
  10. Feb 15, 2011
    Hayao Miyazaki rocks! With its epic story and breathtaking visuals, Princess Mononoke is a landmark in the world of animation. See it in High Definition.
  11. Jul 13, 2011
    Slow, repetitive, longer than needed, and I didn't find any story aspect that could make me forget its awful rhythm. Artistically, meaning draw and music specially, it's great, but for me it's just an empty movie. Beautiful, but without anything to tell. Yeah, ok, it has that ecological and respect between cultures topic on it, but it has been done thousands of times before and after this movie with better results. I may give it a second chance, but I don't think it was just a bad day. Expand
  12. Feb 10, 2012
    While not quite as good as Miyazaki's other works, Princess Mononoke is still very excellent and fantastic. Animation is, as expected for a Miyazaki film, is very, very good, and the plot is very interesting and well-written.
  13. Feb 18, 2012
    Definitely best anime movie of all time. So much symbolism and path crossed of such that can not be touched by any other movie. This is a movie that will make you want to watch every anime out there.
  14. Jan 5, 2012
    An outstanding achievement by Hayao Miyazaki. Clearly shows connection between humans and nature, the importance of preserving life. Spectacular visuals, wonderful soundtrack, and beautiful story make it an all time classic in anime films, and a must-see.
  15. Feb 11, 2012
    Extraordinary film from Hayao Miyazaki. I love the way Miyazaki is able to blend tender, peaceful moments in between the chaos of all the fighting. My favorite is the scene where **** is too weak to chew his food so San feeds him like a mother wolf feeding here cubs.
  16. Apr 1, 2012
    As usual with studio Ghibli, i thoroughly enjoyed this movie and have watched it several times over. While critics believe it not up to par with spirited away, i totally disagree. All studio Ghibli movies are on par with one another except for 'Tales from Earthsea'. This movie, like the others, is a blend of Japanese 'Anime' and the traditional Western Animation cultures. It's a beautiful movie, with stunning character depths, a fantastic story which takes you in and drowns you in a beautiful blend of stunning landscapes, fearful monsters while underneath bearing resemblance to real world issues, as is with all Studio Ghibli movies. I explicitly recommend this movie to EVERYONE. Studio Ghibli is without fail one of the greatest production studios out there, and if you love one movie, you will love them all. Expand
  17. May 25, 2012
    Someone doesn't even have to like anime to have to like Princess Mononoke. One watch and they'll be hooked. For Princess Mononoke is a gift to film lovers of all kind and deservedly one of the best films of the '90s.
  18. Jun 2, 2012
    Not enough words to explain how i feel about this film. Everything works together, mainly the score and emotional impact of the film. A mixture of old Japanese culture and folklore mixed with modern problems, this film gets a point across in style.
  19. May 28, 2012
    This Is One Of The Best Movies Of All Time!
    The Animation Style And Writing Is Unforgetable! One Of Ghibli's Best Works!
  20. May 30, 2012
    this film is the most bestest film ever lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol
  21. Jul 23, 2013
    It's a masterpiece, I basically grew up with that movie and so I have listened to it many many times both in English and Japanese. If you like anime you need to watch this.
  22. Jan 2, 2014
    Uma dos melhores filmes de Miyazaki, com certeza sua história e personagens são cativantes, o visual como sempre um dos pontos fortes e sem contra que sua trilha sonora belíssima.
  23. Nov 9, 2012
    Cool as s**t! Brutal acts of deviance, vivid showcases of violence and some serious blood all founded upon a deeply rooted stance on the epidemic of hatefulness. I would write a longer review, but this one is truly epic in the actual definition. It is a long sweeping powerhouse of a story that has it all. Love, hate, viciousness, deceit, redemption, victory, failure, relief, passion, soul, kindness, drama, action, suspense, reflection, joy, sadness, adventure and heart. Princess Mononoke is an experience. Expand
  24. Jul 23, 2013
    Another masterpiece from Hayao Miyazaki. Princess Mononoke is one of the greatest animation movies I've ever seen. The story is excellent and the characters are perfectly thought out. And the music in this movie is as ever brilliant in a Miyazaki film. A true experience to watch.
  25. Feb 22, 2014
    For me this is my favorite animation movie of all time, I saw it when I was still a child and it shocked me.
    Unlike other animation movies, it has a very original plot. The settings are also very uncommon and the drawings are awesome, an authentic masterpiece.
    The characters are very special, every character has her own personality and behavior, whit lots of references to the real world
    nowadays. It’s not the generic movie with the good guys and the bad guys, more mature story line than the majority of animation movies.
    The timing is perfect, whit the correct amount of action scenes, funny moments and the progression of story.
  26. Jan 23, 2013
    One of Miyazaki's most notable films. The music and animation come together almost perfectly, albeit with the exception of the lack of fluidity in motion. It makes one have a deeper sense of the many good and bad ways humans affect the planet. (Sounds cheesy, I know.) I would complain about the dialogue and bad voice acting, but that is to be expected with a movie originally written and animated in a different language. Expand
  27. Jan 28, 2013
    A masterpiece of its time. The story is deep, the visuals amazing, and the characters really make it all come together. There is great symbolism and there's a solid message throughout the movie, whilst there still being action and humor surrounding the dark atmosphere that the movie creates. It's a dark tale enveloped by gods and demons that help move the story along and provide substance to the movie as a whole. It is long and can be considered hard to get through (based on the negative reviews on this site), but sticking with it will provide with an enjoyable experience overall. Expand
  28. Feb 1, 2013
    This is Miyazaki's best movie in my humble opinion. I love how all the characters have noble intentions and it is never about good versus evil. You see things from all sides and perspectives. I have watched this movie so many times and never grow tired of it. Beautiful to look at and an epic score as well. I can't wait until this comes out on Bluray.
  29. Jun 27, 2013
    Princess Mononoke is without a doubt Miyazaki's best work. It has all the creativity of Spirited Away along with a far more mature and compelling plot line. The animation is beautiful, the music is uplifting, and the characters are all memorable. If you like films, do yourself a favor and watch this movie.
  30. Mar 23, 2013
    One The Greatest Films Of ALL Time! Just Stunning!
    The Most Visually Inventive Film I Have Ever Seen!
  31. Mar 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of Miyazaki's best works by far. The imagery is beautiful, and often times filled with gore, and the story is genius. This film shows Miyazaki can tackle a PG-13 movie and be triumphant. Expand
  32. May 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you have looked at my account you may have noticed that I have this fondness for anime films, I just want to so that I'm again not a huge anime fan, but I do enjoy some anime once in a while. It's a very impressive art form, and is demonstrated very well in this film. The art style in this feature is some of the best one will ever see, the forest is a beauty look at, the village is well structured design that fits very well; of course. The animation is a bit behind compared to what studio Ghibli makes today, but is barely a difference because any film made by them is always great to look at. Now about the main cast of characters, they're well done, but I can say that at certain scenes they don't really work well with the scene. Such parts like when they first meet, the ending to that is not that good: "go away" she says, it's like not much thought went into that part. Of course since this is by a children's movie company, there's going to be some themes. This one talks about nature mostly, and is fortunately not shoved into your face like some would. Along with great animation there's also a great feeling of scale, this is categorized as an epic after all. The size and scope of this film makes it seem much more; for lack of a better word, epic. Also there's some very fine good action, even bits that seem very graphic, and further adds to the atmosphere. In the end, probably one of the best animated films out there, and I also think this is also in the shadow of better films like spirited away. But should still be looked at. Expand
  33. Jun 27, 2013
    Visually, Princess Mononoke shines right off the bat. The design and movement of the demonic boar god is among the most impressive bits of animation I've come across. In addition to the fluid and gorgeous animation, the action is done so well it will immediately pull you in. And we will witness several more sequences of this caliber before the end.

Fortunately, it’s beauty and action
    are merely the outer shell of it’s brilliance. The most impressive aspect of Princess Mononoke is its ability to display each side of every conflict and how well it all ties in with the movie’s core theme: Man Vs. Nature. We understand what both the people of Iron Town and the inhabitants of the great forest fight for and why. We sympathize and even root for both sides to win. Even Jigo the main antagonist is given clear motivation for his actions, not to mention a likable personality.
    When speaking of the characters in Princess Mononoke, it has to be mentioned how great the performances are in the English dub. Best are Minnie Driver as Lady Eboshi, Keith David as Okkoto and Billy Bob Thornton as Jigo.

Our hero is one of the reasons why this story works as well as it does. He is our viewing platform. We observe everything through his perspective and follow his ideals since he is our hero. He is neutral so we become neutral. If he would have been fighting solely on one side, the film’s ultimate message; man & nature needs to function more cohabit-ably together, or all will perish would have differed greatly.

In the end I'll simply say that Princess Mononoke is one of the greatest animated movies ever made. I urge anyone and everyone to watch this movie and see for yourselves what a gem it is

Full review: http://kenikkiscorner.blogspot.se/2013/06/anime-movie-review-princess-mononoke.html
  34. Aug 8, 2013
    Absolutely out this world! this epic movie is a league on its own, with depth and laudable cause. Masterpiece! A real movie will this one should be awesome, in fact we saw some of the concept in a recent version of Snow White...!
  35. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best part of the film is how the characters are written, they act like real people. Complications occur only because of the consequences of other's actions, which, to an extent, are justified. Another good thing is the subtle environmental message, it isn't hammered in like most North American films. Rather this Japanese anime shows us that we are supposed to draw our own conclusions about the environment. The animation is fluid, very well done, and the character designs, not just for the humans, look great. Also the backgrounds are phenomenal and spectacular to look at. This film would not work if it wasn't animated, it really uses its medium to the full extent. Expand

Wacky, vividly conceived but mundanely executed cartoon fantasy.
    A big movie for the ages, full to the brim with sympathy, imagination and sheer visual delight.
    One of the most visually inventive films I have ever seen.