6.5

1. Jun 13, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic BECAUSE it was so jumbled and chaotically written.
    Absolutely fantastic BECAUSE it was so jumbled and chaotically written.
    The script jumps whole sections ahead and back. True. The characters behaved nonsensical and were flat. True. However; the story does answer a lot of questions ; where do the aliens come from, who are the giger corpses in the crashed ship, why is wayland so horny to exploit it. Albeit chaotic, it has excellent pacing. Theres not much suspense, but it mixes mystery exploration with nastiness. I didnt even know who the protagonists actually were until half the way through. Which in times of utter plot predictability is a welcome variation. The main characters are a christian fanatic and a "i wear flipflops while sipping my latte in this space ship" douche who was so stereotypically hipster that ridley scott must have made intentional statement on his hatred for apple stores and starbucks. I couldnt wait for them to die, and my sympathies were with the evil charlize theron all along. Fantastic! A movie that destroys classic plot structures so profoundly and still gets away with it is a true innovation for mainstream hollywood in my book. The story jumps a little too harshly here and there, and some characters are propably supposed to be 80ies cheese stereotypes as a hommage, but too flat in the end. But the visuals are fantastic and the pacing works. Its not an intelligent movie as the questions about the origins of humanity (aliens vs god) is overdone and shallow in itself, but the movie is not supposed to be 2001 anyways. As a plot framework its sufficient. All in all quite unpredictable and quirky, a true experience. I felt thoroughly brain raped. And thats a compliment.
  2. Jun 10, 2012
    A major debate that underlies the film is what's interesting, what I believed was supposed to be the question of Religion Vs Science, Creationism Vs Evolution. Unfortunately the film doesn't really do much with it. Apart from that the film offers a few interesting new ideas to the Alien story and of course the gorgeous visuals and a few expected scares.

Overall this film was enjoyable to

Overall this film was enjoyable to watch but just fell short of being a great film, it seems as if there were missing scenes, if not then some lazy story telling but I find the later hard to believe coming from a seasoned director.

Fully expecting a much more coherent directors cut some time in the future. I hope that the film wasn't chopped up on purpose just to push more BluRay sales.
  3. Jun 17, 2012
    This film was absolutely amazing! Beautiful, scary, intense, and yes lots of philosophy to think about. The one thing I really loved was the musical score - particularly the main theme that is notably played at the beginning of the film. At first I found this theme to be very "American" (I'm Canadian) - the style would work well in a WW2 film such as in Saving Private Ryan. But theThis film was absolutely amazing! Beautiful, scary, intense, and yes lots of philosophy to think about. The one thing I really loved was the musical score - particularly the main theme that is notably played at the beginning of the film. At first I found this theme to be very "American" (I'm Canadian) - the style would work well in a WW2 film such as in Saving Private Ryan. But the theme is used throughout the film and brilliantly that is. In the depths of space and terror, this theme really helped pull me back to the comfort of home or Earth and this sort of 'journey' and experience what really knocked this film out of the ballpark for me. As well, the basic concept of this film is an extremely difficult subject matter to approach. The origins of mankind are obviously so mind bending that no human will ever truly know. Yet Ridley Scott took a stab and this film and it's philosophies are just spectacular and in the end highly entertaining with lots of thinking. The bad: the scene where those 2 scientists meet their demise with the"water snake" was really too silly for this film's caliber. Otherwise, loved every moment of the film and looking forward to watching it again hopefully soon. Expand
  4. Jun 10, 2012
    This metascore is an absolute travesty. A beautiful, thought-provoking science-fiction film discussing what it means to be human, and the origins of life. It's metascore should be much much higher, at least in the seventies.
  5. Jun 10, 2012
    This is for sure the best movie of 2012 I have seen so far, Sci fi movies are of my favorites, I also loved Alien I also liked this one but not that much as alien, but still awesome
  6. Jun 11, 2012
    Great movie. The Alien genie has been out of the bottle for years. It was natural to explore the space jockey in this one. This is a mature movie with real thought provoking questions in it. More of a journey more than a destination.
  7. Jun 14, 2012
    I usually like to let the movie take me where it wants to. However after reading the bad reviews I had my doubts whether to spend my $ 13 at all. I am glad I took the advice to see it in the theater. Special effects audio, and visuals were outstanding. I was prepared to be disappointed by the movie as a whole and yes, character, storyline and ending left something to be desired if II usually like to let the movie take me where it wants to. However after reading the bad reviews I had my doubts whether to spend my $ 13 at all. I am glad I took the advice to see it in the theater. Special effects audio, and visuals were outstanding. I was prepared to be disappointed by the movie as a whole and yes, character, storyline and ending left something to be desired if I were to criticize them. That being said the WOW factor of Prometheus is undeniable. Too ambitious for its length of two hours it did seem disjointed and confusing for those unacquainted with the Alien films. Full of philosophy and homages to other films (the Alien series obviously, but also to 2001, the Thing remake etc) it had me absorbed during and ruminating after viewing. I kept the criticisms in the back of my mind while watching and let the director do his thing and thoroughly enjoyed where he took me. Obviously there were compromises in the production of the film probably foisted on him by the studio (most notably running time constraints) that prevented him from plot and character development (who knows what wound up on the cutting room floor), but for a sci-fi fan there really is no disappointment in this film. Leave the overthinking till after the movie's over. Prometheus IS a worthy prequel but probably will not be considered a classic sci-fi stand alone film. It should be viewed by all sci-fi fans in the theater. and judged on its merits, not its deficiencies. If you have an open mind it won't disappoint. Lets see what comes out on the extended/directors version blu-ray release. Expand
  8. Jun 14, 2012
    If you want to watch Alien, go watch it! If you want to watch something new then stay around for Prometheus. This sci-fi story of finding our creator is beautiful. It is deep and at times to philosophical for some, but if you listen to the last line of Weyland than you can understand the scope of the journey. I really enjoyed it and the action scenes are intense. GO watch it.
  9. Oct 16, 2012
    Filled with beautiful cinematography, beautiful physical affects, and an eerie performance by one of the better actors in the last few years, Michael Fassbender. I did really enjoy this film, as it left many of the questions, like "why were we created", unanswered, so that the people viewing it can find their own answer. I admire Ridley Scott as a filmmaker, and, even though Alien wasFilled with beautiful cinematography, beautiful physical affects, and an eerie performance by one of the better actors in the last few years, Michael Fassbender. I did really enjoy this film, as it left many of the questions, like "why were we created", unanswered, so that the people viewing it can find their own answer. I admire Ridley Scott as a filmmaker, and, even though Alien was catagorically a better film, I feel that Prometheus is the first decent ray of light the Alien franchise has seen since Aliens in the mid 80's. I believe it is one of the better films that came out this year, and with several good performances, largely Fassbender and Idris Elba, make this film definitely a worth-while viewing. This film ought to win an Oscar for simply Cinematography, and if I had my way, Michael Fassbender would have two oscars by now, one for shame, and one for this. His portrayal of the android David was so good, it's a shame it wasn't a better movie, if Sigourney didn't win for Aliens, he won't for this. Overall, a decent movie, although I'd recommend you see the Master, Argo and Moonrise Kingdom before this Sci-Fi adventure. Expand
  10. Jun 8, 2012
    Good movie even if the die hard alien fanboy's are mad because it was not perfect in anyway.
    Story was good, Acting was good, Plot was good, Visual's are good, Audio was good, Horror was good.
  11. Jun 8, 2012
    Has anyone noticed that this film borrows, to put it very nicely, rather heavily from H.P. Lovecraft? That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. I most certainly did. I have great respect for Scott and have liked almost everything he's done. My problem is, here we go again with not acknowledging where your ideas come from. This after the whole A.E. Van Vogt debacle with the original Alien.Has anyone noticed that this film borrows, to put it very nicely, rather heavily from H.P. Lovecraft? That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. I most certainly did. I have great respect for Scott and have liked almost everything he's done. My problem is, here we go again with not acknowledging where your ideas come from. This after the whole A.E. Van Vogt debacle with the original Alien. Guillermo del Toro tries for years to get a deal together to film At the Mountains of Madness, and here comes Scott and Co., grafting the story onto an Alien prequel, and beats him to the punch. The only significant difference is that the Old Ones are humanoid. I don't really object to recycling old stories for new applications that way, I just wish filmmakers would quit pretending that none of us out here read. Expand
  12. Nov 4, 2012
    Its exactly what you expected. Nuff said.
  13. Jun 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Possible Spoiler.
    If your an Alien franchise fan this movie helps explain the genesis of the Xenomorphs, at least the early genesis. Still leave a lot of unanswered questions and raises a few more. Overall a solid sci fi film with A LOT going on.
  14. Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am noticing a lot of people giving this movie bad reviews simply because they lack the cognitive capacity to put two and two together. Most of the people giving prometheus a bad rating are complaining that the movie is full of plot holes. Most of these "plot holes" are actually explained if you pay attention to the movie. Yes there are parts of the story line that were unanswered, or to be continued, but that was the way it was panned. Prometheus was shot beautifully and Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, and Charlize Theron did a wonderful job portraying their characters. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and everything the film had to offer. I highly recommend it. Expand
  15. Jun 11, 2012
    It was an epic movie. Beautiful, and MUCH more insightful as to what's going on. Not just "AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, KILLER ALIENS!!!!!!!!!!!!", it's taken a great leap into story depth. Ridley Scott is da man.
  16. Jun 10, 2012
    Too many people haven't done their research before posting a review on here. A lot of people are saying that the movie sucks and had great potential. Did it actually suck?

They are giving it such a low score on bases that it wasn't what they expected. People wanted xenomorphs but they didn't get that. Everything is explained, this film is most definitely original and the people that don't understand it are giving it such a low score! This film does not deserve a zero, or a two. Those are ridiculous ratings based solely on what you didn't get within the film.

Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean that things didn't get answered. They did get answered, it's because you don't understand it to truly see what the answers were!
  17. Jun 16, 2012
    this film is basically genius. Whether it's worth a ten or not, i do not particularly know right know. However, there is so many things in this film left unexplained, with so many theories.. it really is clever. I reckon over time the usual 'alien fan-boys' will dissect every single part of it too make sense. they are not what idiotic 'critics' call plot holes, really are not plotholes.this film is basically genius. Whether it's worth a ten or not, i do not particularly know right know. However, there is so many things in this film left unexplained, with so many theories.. it really is clever. I reckon over time the usual 'alien fan-boys' will dissect every single part of it too make sense. they are not what idiotic 'critics' call plot holes, really are not plotholes. people didn't read watchmen and say 'stupid book about spandex wearers' no, it was much more than that. Scott just doesn't give you everything, and that's what i believe he intended too do.

however. if you are your general b-movie watcher, you will absolutely hate this film. it has practically been created for alien fanboys, and philosophers. if you have no idea of the alien franchise, and have a low IQ.. this film will definitely not be for you. This is almost Scott's way of saying thank you too the fans.

also from an ignorant angle, the effects were **** awesome.
    however, there
  18. Jun 8, 2012
    Prometheus was what I expected.. Great nostalgic sci-fi movie! Directing and visual effects are fabulous, plot itself is interesting, personally I'm very curious about how life began on earth/universe. I'm doubtful that first scene of Prometheus is the real answer, but it pleases me. Very good film and wanted part for Alien franchise. I want sequel!
  19. Jun 8, 2012
    Stop reading reviews and go see it. You'll spoil it for yourself and the internet hipsters will screw with your perception of a film that's sure to go down in history as a masterpiece. GO.
  20. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought this movie was excellent! It is a great science fiction movie that blends Ancient Alien theories and current biotechnology concerns. Some parts of the plot are left open to interpretation, and viewers who wish to have closure in their films might not enjoy that particular feature. I had high expectations for many months before seeing this film. I followed some fan sites that leaked parts of the movie, and was disappointed with what I read there. However, the delivery and screen adaptation of those ideas were excellent. Expand
  21. Jun 13, 2012
    **Possible spoiler but maybe not really, but so was the trailer*** What were you expecting? True lies? Half life? Transformers? Alien 5? Care Bears in Space? This is not a remake, nor a direct prequel. I expected the movie to be mysterious and interesting and completely unknown excpect for the fact that it was set before the event of Alien, in which universe i expected it to set. I'm so**Possible spoiler but maybe not really, but so was the trailer*** What were you expecting? True lies? Half life? Transformers? Alien 5? Care Bears in Space? This is not a remake, nor a direct prequel. I expected the movie to be mysterious and interesting and completely unknown excpect for the fact that it was set before the event of Alien, in which universe i expected it to set. I'm so glad that Peter mother-fukking Cullen didn't do a narration with Optimus Prime explaining the time before time (although he's very talented, would be completely out of place in this movie - despite many half-wit viewers needing such hand-holding). Prometheus is, what i believe, to be the first of several Alien stories that prelude the original movie. This is not another alien or mission to mars story, it's THE Alien story. Pay close attention to everything within this movie. Is this a review section or an explanation message board? So there are a few stupid moments, namely the biologist looking for a root with the alien worm. It could have happened another way with different dialogue but the premise would still be the same: two guys messing about in the egg chamber and that's how they got infected. Remember the beginning, how the Alien started out, as a virus. It could have been a military experiment gone wrong or just with serious containment issues. Maybe the "Engineer" in the pod wasn't really human, maybe not. Was he there to await the scientist and determine their nature if hostile? Most people reviewing this movie giving it low scores didn't actually understand the movie, that it was a science fiction STORY, not a face paced action thriller with all guns blazing. They already made that movie, it's called Aliens or Tron. Sometimes it's like working with children, you take as many shots as you can get in the time frame available, and take the best one. This movie is, like the original Alien and subsequent movies, about a monolithic Corporation using young college graduates to explore and secure an alien world so that the mission specific andriod - played perfectly my Micheal Fassbander - can recover the specimen for what ever military/scientific/monetary purposes back on Earth. It's fairly obvious there will be movies that follow this one, that may answer some questions from this film. This movie is great, fantastic, amazing, deep, and thought provoking. In the book of the original, the SOS distress signal coming from the planet was not an SOS, but a warning. This movie is also set in a fictional future, where completely new attitudes and technology exist. Just like any other movie, go see it twice because you get more out of it the second time. Prometheus is what it is and what it is, is not perfect, but perfect enough for a very entertaining movie. And just so you know, it's based on a true story of actual events! Expand
  22. Jun 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rather than explicitly deliver the plot to the viewer in tight punchlines, this movie flows from one rich template to the next...and the plot unfolds without pausing for the laugh track. When its over, you are left with the intriguing question: why do these Romanesque demi-gods who've engineered themselves into perfect physical specimens...and who've engineered the development of a mirror species (us), why on earth do they design this biological weapon to destroy mankind (their own creation) approximately 100 years after the crucifixion?

What are the parallels between them, human civilization, our destruction, and they symbol of Rapace's crucifix? Could Ridley Scott be tying everything together? Could earth be an outpost for their empire...and when our civilization chose something other than the regimented slave-system of the Roman Empire, this did not fit into their plans for a new colony?

There are a billion intriguing ideas, and only a few clues...

One of the best movies in years, IMO, and even if it is not widely praised, I think it will have a spot on many "best sci-fi movie" lists for a long, long time.
  23. Jun 10, 2012
    Brilliant film, it is not as Scary as it should have been but it makes up for it in it's awe inspiring cinematography, locations, visuals and pretty much everything else. The story is great, a massive fan service.
  24. Jun 10, 2012
    Wow! Oh, wow. I just returned from the theater and I think my head is still in outer space. No kidding, the special effects and sound in this movie are ramped up to such intensity, it will take you a while to adjust after the first time you see it, too. Hang on to your popcorn. You're in for a ride.

This movie deals with the theme that life may have come from other planets. Was it benevolent? Was it intelligent? Did it have the potential for peace or death? The answer may be, all of the above. A group of humans and an android take a massive craft to the site of a possible civilization. They are out to see whether it was the source of human culture. They are so optimistic, in fact, that notions of potential difficulties don't stop them. Soon they're on the planet, and searching through what seems to be an inhabited mountain. Is anything still down there? The viewer familiar with the rest of the Alien series will recognize the wry nods to the characters down the road. There is the smart-aleck humanoid robot, the eager explorers, and those who are skeptical of the whole thing. I won't tell you too much, since this is one of those stories that's so elaborate, and has such momentum, you really have to see it for yourself. Although I was frustrated by some of the plot twists, of which some are explained and others just aren't, it's clear that this film is a complex, supercharged thrill ride. Fans of science fiction will be agog with happiness over the dark storyline and the special effects. Those who like horror will understand the relentless fear that follows you all through the film. If the entire movie feels as if you are scurrying down a tunnel, it's because much of the time, you are. Good versus evil is always a worthwhile theme. In this movie, although it's not always clear what constitutes winning or losing, the battle is a heck of a thing to watch.
  25. Jun 10, 2012
    If one can't keep up with the subtext of what's going on in the film, they are going to come away completely disappointed and confused by Prometheus. If you have the chops to hang in there, though, the film is a fantastic, and important, exploration into the nature of human existence. Make no mistake, the monsters and horror of this film exist SOLELY to support the existential quest thatIf one can't keep up with the subtext of what's going on in the film, they are going to come away completely disappointed and confused by Prometheus. If you have the chops to hang in there, though, the film is a fantastic, and important, exploration into the nature of human existence. Make no mistake, the monsters and horror of this film exist SOLELY to support the existential quest that is the root of the story. If you are expecting a film about aliens who kill people, you won't be satisfied. (Even if aliens to spectacularly kill people) Expand
  26. Jun 17, 2012
    The greatest sci-fi film this past decade. Simply unbelievable. This film is imho on equal par with Alien and Aliens in terms of pure excellence, quality and entertainment. The story has many layers, interwoven so successfully and ties into the original Alien very well. I can understand the many poor reviews here, but really, any film that tackles the origin of mankind is up againstThe greatest sci-fi film this past decade. Simply unbelievable. This film is imho on equal par with Alien and Aliens in terms of pure excellence, quality and entertainment. The story has many layers, interwoven so successfully and ties into the original Alien very well. I can understand the many poor reviews here, but really, any film that tackles the origin of mankind is up against all odds; but Scott did justice to the film, the franchise, all while entertaining. There are many unanswered questions but Scott did this intentionally to make the viewers think - it was done right and made me appreciate the film even more. You also need to have watched Alien to truly appreciate this film. The one and only draw back of Prometheus is the crew - i.e a mission into space of this caliber and of historical importance would require a team of top professionals, no less. Very much not in this case, but the character David stole the spot light - just spectacular character building. I do hope there will be a director's cut to give more insight into the film - there is easily 30 min of story telling that would make this film even more complete. I saw this in regular 3D and now plan to see it again but in IMAX 3D. The visuals and the cinematography are simply jaw dropping. I truly hope that an IMAX version comes out on blu-ray. I normally don't anticipate bluray releases, but for Prometheus I can barely wait....really can't wait!!! Expand
  27. Jun 8, 2012
    I went into the movie hoping, but not expecting. Many of the nuances of the film will be lost on those who haven't seen Alien, but unlike Alien, this is not a "horror/ shocker" film. It is a proper science fiction film with a bit of the Alien-style shocking scenes. Unlike others, I believe a true Sci-Fi fan will love the questions posed in Alien being answered here, especially after soI went into the movie hoping, but not expecting. Many of the nuances of the film will be lost on those who haven't seen Alien, but unlike Alien, this is not a "horror/ shocker" film. It is a proper science fiction film with a bit of the Alien-style shocking scenes. Unlike others, I believe a true Sci-Fi fan will love the questions posed in Alien being answered here, especially after so many years of mystery (besides that's what makes Serenity so great). Whilst Noomi Rapace (lead female role) isn't as strong a character as Sigourney Weaver, this film still has beautiful touches of Ridley Scott that made Alien and Blade Runner so great. This won't go down as a classic in the same way those films did (primarily because of the cult status and high expectations), but it is a great prequel. I think those who are knocking it should go back and watch Alien and Blade Runner. Those similarly slow paced and atmospheric; something we really aren't used to in Sci-Fi films nowadays (but just another element of what made those films great). Expand
  28. Jun 9, 2012
    Fantastic visuals. Great acting. Doesnt answer the main questions it ask but whos to say it had to? One of the best Sci-fi movies in a LONG time. Best IMAX movie ive ever seen!
  29. Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all I like to say that this movie is not like Alien or even Aliens. The cinematography is outstanding and the 3D brings it out even more. I would recommend 2D and just imagine how it looks in 3D.

Yes it is a prequel and here is a question to everyone. Don't you believe there will always be unanswered questions to the origins of human life? This movie is meant about to reflect your own ideals about how we came on Earth. This is probably a spoiler but during the movie Noomi's character was tested about her own beliefs with God even to the point that they accused her of abandoning her own belief. Her cross was taken during the movie due to her Medical attention and at the end of the movie she got her cross back from the android David. She was offer to go back to Earth but she still wanted to seek out the questions on why and how these Aliens came to Earth and created humans.

There are bits of other stuff in this movie that are related to the Alien movies. The thing that came out of Noomi's character would be the face hugger, the Alien that came out of the chest would be the chest burster and the space jockey/engineer are part of the relationship to the other Alien films.

Wonderful movie but not for everyone.
  30. Jan 6, 2013
    I've watched the 3D version of Prometheus in an Imax Theatre and then again on Blu-ray. I was also able to partly watch "The Making" of this movie. This is a film with so much potential. Most will agree that the special effects are just awesome. The premise of the story is excellent but I strongly think it needs a lot more polishing. Ridley Scott and the team, should've taken the timeI've watched the 3D version of Prometheus in an Imax Theatre and then again on Blu-ray. I was also able to partly watch "The Making" of this movie. This is a film with so much potential. Most will agree that the special effects are just awesome. The premise of the story is excellent but I strongly think it needs a lot more polishing. Ridley Scott and the team, should've taken the time to consult more with real scientists that are experts from varied branches of technology that are involved in the story to help decide how the story reasonably progresses and to add to the realism of it all.

People today are much more knowledgeable with technology and sciences compared to when the first Alien film was released. With this, a majority of audiences (especially sci-fi buffs) are more questioning and analytical. That I think is the reason why creating a science fiction film is more difficult compared to a fantasy film like Lord of The Rings. In fantasy movies, you can do mostly anything and audiences won't question you much. Just blame everything on magic! For sci-fi films, it has to be somewhat still rooted to reality and must answer questions as logically and realistically possible.

I like the TV series "Ancient Aliens" and "Through The Wormhole". So I can say I also like "Prometheus" for what it is. I just hope the director and the writer took more effort to flesh out everything and that means even the little things such as how scientists think and act in a possibly real world given the scenarios they faced in the film. All in all, I am satisfied with Prometheus and wishing for a much better sequel.
  31. Jun 16, 2012
    Today I went to see Prometheus, and let me say... I don't regret my decision one bit! From the very beginning until the credits run at the end, you'll be a witness to an exciting story that keeps you interested, fascinated and amazed by Ridley Scott's creation. Let's review...
    POSTIVES: - Amazing and interesting story. - Great acting (Charlize Theron, Logan Marshall-Green, etc...) - Incredible music. - Amazing visuals.
    NEGATIVES: - The movie ends... (kind off)
    CLOSING COMMENT: Are you a fan of sci-fi or/and the previous Alien movies? Wait no more, and enlist now to take a trip into the universe with Prometheus... you won't regret it.
  32. Jun 10, 2012
    Yes, this movie has flaws, but that doesn't escape the fact that I just can't get the darn thing out of my head. It's not the flaws, such as some plot holes and lack of character development, that are sticking with me. It's the beauty and the outright audacity of the film. It's the kind of sci-fi no one makes anymore, in that it actually has something to say. What that "something" is is,Yes, this movie has flaws, but that doesn't escape the fact that I just can't get the darn thing out of my head. It's not the flaws, such as some plot holes and lack of character development, that are sticking with me. It's the beauty and the outright audacity of the film. It's the kind of sci-fi no one makes anymore, in that it actually has something to say. What that "something" is is, like the best sci-fi, left up to interpretation. This film does not pander and has no easy answers, and that can sometimes be frustrating. But I applaud it nonetheless. Even if you wind up disappointed, there will definitely be something here that will stick out as memorable, even if it is just the visuals. Expand
  33. Jan 10, 2013
    One of the best of the year. I was a fan of the Aliens series and this shares a common background but takes things in a very new direction. special effects and scenery were excellent. Characters were all well cast and Noomi Rapace is absolutely phenomenal as the tough girl who has to survive some ridiculous events.
  34. Jun 18, 2012
    Prometheus maybe doesn't have a factor to make it A-list territory, like unbeatable script or one hundred percent emotion, but Prometheus is sci-fi epic. With blood, uncomfortable scene, striking visual and excellent 3D, it's totally extravaganza. Faith, creation and religion, which is forget these days by common filmakers.
  35. Jun 9, 2012
    Prometheus returns to the series' roots in so many welcome ways, particularly that it is adventure story first and foremost. An exploration of the unknown with many surprises in store, and many of those shocking. Good cast and a decent script almost completely void of space movie cliche quips, thank goodness. The film also possesses something so many science fiction movies, for all ofPrometheus returns to the series' roots in so many welcome ways, particularly that it is adventure story first and foremost. An exploration of the unknown with many surprises in store, and many of those shocking. Good cast and a decent script almost completely void of space movie cliche quips, thank goodness. The film also possesses something so many science fiction movies, for all of the work that went into them, critically do not --suspense and tension. That alone is worth an extra 10 percentage points. Negatives: one too many loose ends and a completely forgettable musical score that only supports the action instead of buoying up the film and really being a third of the experience. Whoops, there went that 10 point lead. Expand
  36. Jun 13, 2012
    Ridley Scott once again crafts a fantastic science fiction film that stands among his best sci-fi movies like Blade Runner and Alien. Not only does it have an intriguing story, but it also has some memorable characters in it. Is this movie perfect? No, it is not (some lines of dialogue I felt weren't needed, and the movie took a while to get rolling) but if you look past these faults youRidley Scott once again crafts a fantastic science fiction film that stands among his best sci-fi movies like Blade Runner and Alien. Not only does it have an intriguing story, but it also has some memorable characters in it. Is this movie perfect? No, it is not (some lines of dialogue I felt weren't needed, and the movie took a while to get rolling) but if you look past these faults you will have yourself one helluva gorgeous thrill-ride. Expand
  37. Jun 12, 2012
    I found the movie enjoyable and impressive on three dimensions: theme, visuals and excitement. However, the plot was a neutral point for me as I have seen worse, but it felt rushed. The characters were not very deep at all, and were very frustrating! I felt so frustrated by the team dynamics/actions/interactions i was nearly pulling out my hair yelling out "why are you doing that!?" orI found the movie enjoyable and impressive on three dimensions: theme, visuals and excitement. However, the plot was a neutral point for me as I have seen worse, but it felt rushed. The characters were not very deep at all, and were very frustrating! I felt so frustrated by the team dynamics/actions/interactions i was nearly pulling out my hair yelling out "why are you doing that!?" or "why aren't you doing this!?". Also the crew seemed incapable of utilising the technology they had to aid their situations, and often didn't act like scientists! Expand
  38. Jun 18, 2012
    Prometheus is the prequel/reboot/spin-off to original Alien film by Ridley Scott. The film revolves around Elizabeth Shaw's quest to find humanity's creators after finding cave paintings leading her to believe they were created by alien visitors. Shaw is able to gain financial endorsement for an expedition to the unknown planet in the cave paintings by the notorious Weyland Industries.Prometheus is the prequel/reboot/spin-off to original Alien film by Ridley Scott. The film revolves around Elizabeth Shaw's quest to find humanity's creators after finding cave paintings leading her to believe they were created by alien visitors. Shaw is able to gain financial endorsement for an expedition to the unknown planet in the cave paintings by the notorious Weyland Industries. Will Elizabeth find the answers she is looking for or will her discovery lead to the destruction of the human race.

Story: 7/10 The story is built upon the origins of the mysterious space jockey corpse found in the abandoned ship in Alien. However this movie does not bend over backwards to give fans answers, instead it creates more questions leading to the impression of further sequels. This is both a positive and a negative, as it creates a whole other side of the Alien universe to be explored but leaves you wanting more. Prometheus continues with that classic Alien storyline, with a discovery, the cast being picked off one by one and an explosive finale. My only concern was that scenes were weaved together towards with end of the film.

Acting & Characters: 10/10 The performances throughout the cast was magnificent with character having their own priorities about dealing with their discovery. The main cast in made of a diverse range of characters such as David the unpredictable android, the, Vickers, the stone cold Weyland representative and Fifield, money hungry contractor who is off at the first site of trouble. My only concern with the cast is that the majority of the 17 member crew are lost beneath the larger character and die without saying a single line. Noomi Rapace's performance as Elizabeth is superb and you can easily get swept up in her enthusiastic attitude to find her origins, similar to Drake in the Uncharted game series. Michael Fassbender's portrayal as the fascinating android David with his own motives without any regard for the well-being of the crew.

Set, Costumes & Graphics: 9/10

The atmosphere of the is a dream come true for any Alien fan with stunning graphics, an authentic Alien rather than prison or a small American town like some of the past films and tons of Weyland logos. The graphics is space scenes and the engineer's control room are truly beautiful especially if compared to the original Alien film made 30 years before. As with the Star Wars prequels this does pose some problems as Prometheus is set 30 years before the events of Alien and the technology looks like its set 50 years after. Prometheus features new and redesigned alien creatures with some with a great refreshing look and others looking plain silly.

Enjoyment: 6/10 I found the first third of this film amazing and was easily swept up adventure feel. The film then quickly became much darker and gruesome as you can aspect from an Alien film. This is where the Prometheus started to lose me with scenes moving very quickly and too many types of aliens and characters to keep up with. However I found the rising tensions between the main characters throughout the film intriguing to watch. In conclusion I left the film with feeling dreadful after my questions were unanswered, more direction in the middle of the and some quite horrific scenes. However I hope if it gets a sequel that it gives more answers, improves the pacing throughout the film but continues the fantastic character development and stunning environments.

Overall Rating: 7.8/10
  39. Jun 10, 2012
    My friend and I saw this movie with low expectations after reading many negative reviews and we were blown away by how awesome this movie was. I would recommend watching the original alien up until where they explore inside the alien ship before seeing Prometheus. It helped us enjoy the movie that much more. Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace had the best characters in the movie IMO. HereMy friend and I saw this movie with low expectations after reading many negative reviews and we were blown away by how awesome this movie was. I would recommend watching the original alien up until where they explore inside the alien ship before seeing Prometheus. It helped us enjoy the movie that much more. Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace had the best characters in the movie IMO. Here is my checklist of why I loved this movie.. Very good cinematography, the best CGI and visual affects to date, alien references, tense scenes that keep you on the edge of your seat, and finally this is just an awesome sci-fi movie. Prometheus had its flaws however as other reviewers have pointed out. If you go into this movie with high expectations you will be let down. The movie raised more questions than answered. There is little character development and over all the script could have been better. I would definitely recommend seeing this movie. Just go to be entertained. Expand
  40. Jun 15, 2012
    Beautiful movie that must be seen in 3D. Fantastic premise and entertaining all the way through. From reading some of the reviews prior to seeing the movie I anticipated being a little disappointed by plot holes or bad characters or a less than acceptable ending to the story. This wasn't the case at all for me. In fact, I appreciated how some of the unknowns were left unanswered. If I hadBeautiful movie that must be seen in 3D. Fantastic premise and entertaining all the way through. From reading some of the reviews prior to seeing the movie I anticipated being a little disappointed by plot holes or bad characters or a less than acceptable ending to the story. This wasn't the case at all for me. In fact, I appreciated how some of the unknowns were left unanswered. If I had to point to any negative aspect of the film I found myself a little disappointed some of the characters simply didn't respond to situations in realistic ways. Even though I wouldn't call this a horror film at all, it's suspenseful and creepy, it felt like some of the people were running up the stairs when they should have been running out the front door. The movie was so well done I just found it frustrating they couldn't write more realistic responses. If you are a fan of science fiction, space, suspense, or are piqued by the topic of our origins, this movie is a must see. Expand
  41. Jun 15, 2012
    Unanswered questions and a watcher's ignorance do not spell plot holes. I start with this statement for the simple fact that after a week of pondering the symbolism and theological ramifications that Prometheus set down on the screen, I decided to see what others had gleamed from the Alien prequel. What i found was a deeply intelligent discussion peppered by "I don't understand and so itUnanswered questions and a watcher's ignorance do not spell plot holes. I start with this statement for the simple fact that after a week of pondering the symbolism and theological ramifications that Prometheus set down on the screen, I decided to see what others had gleamed from the Alien prequel. What i found was a deeply intelligent discussion peppered by "I don't understand and so it was stupid" comments. Not every movie is meant for every audience member and I do understand that, but a true fan of the series might want to do a little research before stewing out bile. Don't understand the beginning scene, the motivations of the characters, or how intense terror can cause someone to act irrationally? Try finding an answer! The fact that every writer must dumb down their vision to spoon feed the masses is outrageous. the "From Clay to Fire" thesis was a great read and gave but one explanation to the events that unfold in Prometheus. When dealing with a dead race there are always questions...to this day many arguments exist on a wide range of subjects about long dead cultures here on earth. To think one movie should unravel the mysteries of the universe and spread it paper-thin for all to behold is asking a bit much even for Hollywood. Prometheus gave us a brief glimpse into man's eternal struggle to craft god into our own image and I, for one, was grateful for the experience. Expand
  42. Jul 10, 2012
    Best I've gone to this year, and really one of the best movies of all time. In 3D, I witnessed the best visuals I've ever seen in a movie, far exceeding Avatar. The mix of action, suspense, intrigue, amazing technology, sexy female butts, and being related to and expanding upon the Alien series is the full package. Furthermore, it provokes viewers to constantly think about their beliefsBest I've gone to this year, and really one of the best movies of all time. In 3D, I witnessed the best visuals I've ever seen in a movie, far exceeding Avatar. The mix of action, suspense, intrigue, amazing technology, sexy female butts, and being related to and expanding upon the Alien series is the full package. Furthermore, it provokes viewers to constantly think about their beliefs of our origin, our knowledge of the universe, and the ultimate questions of what reality even is. I cannot wait to see the sequels, which will have even more action and full scale warfare (like Alien vs Aliens). Loved it!! Expand
  43. Nov 23, 2012
    I liked this movie a lot. I was initially a bit shy mainly because of the lower rating on this site, but bought it on amazon instant video on sale, and watched it. It was very well made, acting was spot on, beautiful visuals and effects, and the plot was excellently written. I got a bit nervous part way through that the movie was going to leave me hanging, but it did a great job givingI liked this movie a lot. I was initially a bit shy mainly because of the lower rating on this site, but bought it on amazon instant video on sale, and watched it. It was very well made, acting was spot on, beautiful visuals and effects, and the plot was excellently written. I got a bit nervous part way through that the movie was going to leave me hanging, but it did a great job giving answers. They left it open for a sequel, which I hear is coming in 2014. It would likely be a bit more challenging to follow if you weren't familiar with the Alien movie and it's sibling movies, but being that I am, and find that universe interesting, this movie was an intriguing addition. The makers seem to have gone out of their way to separate themselves from Alien but there was definitely a strong connection. It wasn't a direct prequel, but certainly in the same universe. Nice job Ridley Scott. I look forward to the sequel. Expand
  44. Aug 10, 2012
    Gaping plot holes aside, "Prometheus" is grand in every sense of the word, as it's visually stunning, expertly acted, and raises interesting questions about the importance (or lack thereof) of life. Fassbender and Theron deliver impressive performances from a script ripe with metaphors and interesting juxtapositions.
  45. Oct 4, 2012
    One of the best sci-fi movie since Alien...In a word: spectacular! Actors, screenplay, director, photography...a perfect mix. I recommend it to all lovers of science fiction
  46. Jan 18, 2013
    I like this movie a lot. Its the new version of Alien. I don't see Alien so i don't know how he is or Alien is better, I like the story and I like the cast, especially Michael Fassbender.
  47. Dec 31, 2012
    I have not yet seen alien but if it was like Prometheus it would have been pretty good. But i myself enjoy sci if movies. If you don't like sci-fi than I suggest you don't watch this. But, however this movie is a great movie if you like sci fi movies. Prometheus follows the story of explorers and scientists who travel to a distant planet to find out where they come from. But the questionI have not yet seen alien but if it was like Prometheus it would have been pretty good. But i myself enjoy sci if movies. If you don't like sci-fi than I suggest you don't watch this. But, however this movie is a great movie if you like sci fi movies. Prometheus follows the story of explorers and scientists who travel to a distant planet to find out where they come from. But the question is asked. Can they trust Dr Shaw's and Dr Halloways Engineers(names two of the scientist's give who they believe are there creators). This movie contains a good cast containing Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender, Naomi Rapice, Guy Pearce, Idris Elba and Logan Marshel-green. This movie however is a bit boring for in parts and relies heavily on aliens killing people, but i guess thats just the sci-fi genre. So over all a great movie for people who love the Sci-fi genre. Expand
  48. D6M
    Jun 10, 2012
    While this movie isn't perfect, it's still a far better experience than Alien 3 and Resurrection, which recycled the ideas of its predecessors and spit them back out; whereas Prometheus attempts to take the franchise in a new direction while still staying true to the core elements of previous installments. Aside from one motive left unexplained and an unaddressed continuity issue in theWhile this movie isn't perfect, it's still a far better experience than Alien 3 and Resurrection, which recycled the ideas of its predecessors and spit them back out; whereas Prometheus attempts to take the franchise in a new direction while still staying true to the core elements of previous installments. Aside from one motive left unexplained and an unaddressed continuity issue in the time line between Prometheus and Alien(it would seriously take 2-3 sentences of narrative to bridge everything together...but sequel maybe?), the movie exceeded my expectations; between its amazing cinematography/visuals and convincing acting, this crazy story somehow becomes believable.
    This is far from a bad movie and the 3D version by far had the best 3D I've experienced yet(no obvious scenes with way too many people at too many varying distances or stuff flying towards my face). To wrap things up, this is a great movie that is well worth seeing on the big screen in 3D, even though it has some faults, they aren't that detrimental to the film itself, but rather it's continuity between it and it's current sequel Alien.
  49. Jun 8, 2012
    The scares of Alien with the effects of Avatar! This film had me jumping out of my seat, squirming, and heart-pounding for the entire 2 hours and 5 minutes. The effects and sound are the new standard for today's cinema, surpassing those of 2009's Avatar. There were many tie-ins to the original Alien movie from 1979 which was very good to reflect on after the movie. Some people reviewThe scares of Alien with the effects of Avatar! This film had me jumping out of my seat, squirming, and heart-pounding for the entire 2 hours and 5 minutes. The effects and sound are the new standard for today's cinema, surpassing those of 2009's Avatar. There were many tie-ins to the original Alien movie from 1979 which was very good to reflect on after the movie. Some people review movies as what the movie set out to be. If an action movie is a good action movie, they give it a good review because it's a good action movie, not because it's a good movie. Prometheus, however, is a stunning Sci-Fi flick, an excellent horror film, and one of the best thrillers I think I've ever seen. I saw it at the midnight IMAX 3D premiere, and. was. STUNNED. Even though I saw it at what is considered a "LieMax" theater (google it), the sound was absolutely incredible! If you are a fan of Horror, Sci-Fi, Thrillers, or Action Movies, I promise you'll love this. You'll also love it as an Alien fan, due to the countless tie-ins. This movie makes you question some of the events in it (in a good way) and think about life in general. AMAZING performances by Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Idris Elba, and Charlize Theron. 10/10 due to the fact that it was a great movie and gave a very satisfying release to my 1+ year anticipation for the film. Expand
  50. Jun 11, 2012
    Actually, I am surprised at the lack of intelligent investigation/critical review by many of the formal critics. Only one, Ebert, out of Chicago caught and interpreted Scott's "Grand Design". Prometheus is about mankind's divine/physical origins. From the myth-like divinity of Prometheus, god of science and mankind's friend, to elements of scientific theory and fact (Eratosthenes, Galileo,Actually, I am surprised at the lack of intelligent investigation/critical review by many of the formal critics. Only one, Ebert, out of Chicago caught and interpreted Scott's "Grand Design". Prometheus is about mankind's divine/physical origins. From the myth-like divinity of Prometheus, god of science and mankind's friend, to elements of scientific theory and fact (Eratosthenes, Galileo, Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Sagan, Hawking) Scott brings to his tale of divine origin a host of ideals and threats. Is life the survival of the fittest or the survival of the brightest, and/or is life about faith and discovery of self and the universe? Does science buy immortality or at the least the keys to immortality or does faith unlock the secrets of immortality? Without question, the scientists and philosophers' of the enlightenment pepper the script and Scott's movie reflects his remorse that contemporary philosophers are so rare - yet Jarad Diamond, "Gun, Germs and Steel" emerges reflecting that the true enemy of mankind is not one another but bacteria and viruses or even what is hidden in the subatomic mists. Blending the constructs of religion versus faith by introducing a Voltaire element of "Candide" into the script - Scott continues to utilize the great moments of sci-fi by replicating the primordial ooze of life similar to Clark's short story. The protagonist, Shaw, played by Naomi Rapace, is without question the Eve Gene - a truth seeker, scientist and adventurer who will challenge the boundaries of science and faith with her desire to find the land of the divine, man's creators. The glue that binds the above elements together is Hawking "Grand Design" - that divinity resides in the universe and life itself. The question; will it be a singular entity, tight and congruent like a Kantian model or is life in constant need of repair? Scott and his writing team - Jon Spaihts and Damon Lindelof - incorporates the best of the best in grand celluliod tradition and example, touching on the intellectual dominance of the sci-fi genre of Bradbury, Asimov, Clark, Herbert with a blend of sci-fi fantasy that includes the eternal battle between good and evil, negative and positive polarity, matter and antimatter. At the same time, Scott tickles his audience with images of great moments in Sci-Fi movies - the slimy snake like creatures that are parasites (Star Gates Gao'ld), Van Danikens (Chariots of the Gods) reflecting a race of superior aliens in archeological stone, David = Hal the computer of Kubrick's 2001, and often tongue in cheek moments of Scott's own trilogy Aliens (Ash resembles David or is David really the "Lawrence of Arabia of other worlds"?) or the moral debate when Shaw removes the parasite from her body conflicts with Ripley who birthed and destroyed the hominid-alien link of DNA cross breeding.

Of course, any intelligent critic will see the next movie - the sequel - and the leap from current theoretical debate to Hawking's "Grand Design". And in doing so - will Ripley look the lens "darkly" or give his audience a tiny picture into the Divine? This movie is not for the banal or the horror advocate - it is a movie where Scott, in all integrity, uses art to mirror society. So will his intellectual critics condemn or praise Scott's vision? Will it become a provocative movie (similar to Kubrick's 2001) that will mirror current theory of our origin and the struggle to survive? What is life, where did it begin, is it Divine or Darwinism, or a combination of both or neither - and is life governed by good or evil, negative and positive, or is brith itself the singular event of life?

It is a big movie, a big challenge. I think for the most part Scott has succeeded. The challnege will be his sequel - the dynamics of the main plotting. I, for one, will be to see the results of Scott's vision. "f he is successful, he will join the ranks of enlighten men and women.
  51. Jun 9, 2012
    You'll like the film if you go in not caring or thinking about it's ties to the Alien franchise. The negative reviews are people comparing it to Alien or picking apart things that make sense if they think about it for one minute. I would go through all the reviews and minimal reasons for hating it and why the reasons are invalid but I'm not going to waste my time.
  52. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here's the thing about Prometheus: When this film was nearing release, Guillermo Del Toro said in interviews and online that it basically killed his hopes of adapting H.P. Lovecraft's horror novella "At The Mountains of Madness", because Prometheus and his film would be too similar. He was absolutely right. This film IS an adaptation of Mountains of Madness, even if Ridley Scott and the writers didn't strictly intend it to be. I will admit, some key points are different, but the more you look at Prometheus, the more it screams Mountains. For me, this is something of a conundrum, because as much as I loved this movie, it may mean never seeing Guillermo Del Toro's vision of Lovecraft come to fruition.

So what is there to say about Prometheus? There's certainly the obvious. For one, this movie is gorgeous. Everything from the sweeping, desolate landscapes down to the tiniest, nearly microscopic details, are near-perfectly conceived. For the cinematography alone, this movie is worth seeing. Of course, there's more to it than that. Michael Fassbender stands out in his role portraying the android David, sitting comfortably somewhere between the bottom of the uncanny valley and the peak of convincing humanity. He's like HAL 9000, if HAL were a little handsomer. Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron both do excellent jobs in their respective roles, each echoing different parts of what made up Ripley's personality in the previous movies. The rest of the cast turn in solid, albeit somewhat stereotyped performances, but that's forgivable seeing as they're basically the horny teens of this movie's Crystal Lake. They're certainly more likable than the cannon-fodder of most horror movies.

A common criticism of this film is that it tries too hard to be profound and cerebral, and that the plot leaves too much unresolved; the people who feel that way have probably never read Lovecraft. Sure, the ideological tug-of-war that goes on throughout the film isn't anything too new, but here it's played out in a fairly novel and interesting way, and trust me, you often won't have time to poke holes in the characters' arguments before something a little more immediate and visceral moves the plot forward. As far as I'm concerned, that's just good pacing, not a movie that can't decide whether it wants to be scary or smart. As for the supposed "plot-holes", what people are actually complaining about is the lack of explanation for why a lot of things happen in this film (why is that guy a zombie now, where did that snake thing come from, what's the deal with airplane food?). What many people don't understand is that we aren't supposed to understand, that we are dealing with forces we never could understand. This is a big element in Lovecraft fiction, and it also plays strongly into absurdist and nihilistic views (which, conveniently, are played strongly against more orderly, religious views in the film). One of the key elements of creating fear in people is taking control away from them, and by extension, also taking away understanding. This is why many things in the film go unexplained. If they had wasted 10 minutes of the movie technobabbling about mutagens and DNA and what-have-you, if what happens in the film could be understood, it would severely undercut the horror. A world without rules, without certainty or consistency, is truly a terrifying thing. The film's creators know this, and it is for this reason that they choose not to explain the whys and hows of the so-called Engineers and their creations. It makes for something truly disquieting; a universe where God isn't one of us, and he isn't on our side.
  53. Jun 11, 2012
    Wow. Can not believe all the negative reviews. It might be spaam on here honestly. This movie was amazing! the directing, the acting, the visuals, the sounds, the intense scenes, the premise of the film were all fantastic.
  54. Jun 19, 2012
    The first thing you need to know us that the only movie that has any relevance and might be considered canon is 'Alien', also directed by Ridley Scott. He wanted to direct/write 'Aliens' and retain the franchise for himself, but the studio gave the project to Cameron who put out that turd which had nothing to do with 'Alien' . Like the idiotic queen alien. And every movie after wasThe first thing you need to know us that the only movie that has any relevance and might be considered canon is 'Alien', also directed by Ridley Scott. He wanted to direct/write 'Aliens' and retain the franchise for himself, but the studio gave the project to Cameron who put out that turd which had nothing to do with 'Alien' . Like the idiotic queen alien. And every movie after was monumentally worse than the last. So forget everything you thought you knew about the aliens, again like the moronic queen.. As for plot holes, there are none if you have more than four working neuron in your head. Ridley doesn't explain anything. You will never see one character explaining some part of the movie to another character that does or should already know but is really explaining for the audiences benefit. Everyone complaining about plot holes probably would have loved it if the studio had forced Ridley to add a voice over like they did with the original Blade Runner. This movie is amazing! This is where Ridley would have taken this franchise, no queen alien, no cloning Ripley, and never an A vs P. Expand
  55. Jun 10, 2012
    I really enjoyed this movie. I never saw the 'Alien' trilogy because I'm 25 and they were before my time. I went into this movie expecting an edge of your seat space-survival drama and got exactly that. As with all good stories it leaves a lot of questions unanswered and I very much prefer it that way. I found it was a nice change of pace from a lot of movies today that force the plot downI really enjoyed this movie. I never saw the 'Alien' trilogy because I'm 25 and they were before my time. I went into this movie expecting an edge of your seat space-survival drama and got exactly that. As with all good stories it leaves a lot of questions unanswered and I very much prefer it that way. I found it was a nice change of pace from a lot of movies today that force the plot down your throat. The movie doesn't pander to the dull witted or people who need every question answered. If you like this type of movie and you're willing to think a little bit then you should enjoy this film immensely. Expand
  56. Jul 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What I thought of Prometheus (I wish I had the energy to write a full-length review), posted elsewhere: Well, I'll be the contrarian about Prometheus - I loved it. I thought the opening moments of the film were provocative and mysterious. I got what it meant but did it really mean what I thought it did? There are no answers in this film, though the lead female scientist (Noomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw) becomes dogged about getting some. We are left to come up with our own. It sort of combined the naivete and passion for exploration of the early episodes of Scott Bakula's Star Trek: Enterprise with an ever-growing sense of dread. The goofiness of Rapace and Marshall-Green as Elizabeth & Charlie, the "love you baby" science couple is the innocent/naive quotient. And the moment you meet David, the android who has a penchant for looking/sounding like Peter O'Toole, you know this can't end well, knowing the history of androids in the Alien films. But the best thing about the film, beyond being beautiful to look at (I did not see it in 3-D and it was gorgeous) and intriguing enough for me to shuffle through the hallways of my mind re the earlier films, was to take that "ET phone home" nonsense about our space seed fathers being benign, loving aliens and turning it 180. I take it that most of the criticism directed at the film is by fan boys (sorry, I know y'all are passionate folks) who wanted another "Alien" horror film. While there are some extremely tense scenes (it's rated R for a reason), this film is also grand and filled with wonder in the old-style sense of what science fiction films used to be. And that's what did it for me. I would have given it a 10 but shaving off 1 point for somewhat weak character development (particularly of the supporting variety). Expand
  57. Jun 10, 2012
    Special effects and Guy Pearce's makeup were good but it seems that there's something missing in the movie and I can't tell what it is. Prometheus pales in comparison with Aliens series. And even for the lead character, Sigourney Weaver's character, Ripley, is more likable, trustworthy, and determined than Noomi Rapace's Dr. Elisabeth Shaw.
  58. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was dragged to cinema the other day and since I was dragged there I was told I can choose what we watch. I chose Prometheus, I saw the advert a few days before and thought it looked alright, so we went in (having to sit row) and I molded myself to my seat ready for a what I expected to be a mediocre sci-fi film. I was utterly mistaken, for me Prometheus is one of the best films I have seen all year. It was thought provoking and thoroughly enjoyable, the film did provide a few parts that made me jump and a few parts that where extremely gory and gritty (including a cesarean to remove an alien baby). The characters where great, especially Micheal Fassbender's character, David, an android with intense loyalty to his creator. It was fantastic to see how the different characters from different backgrounds react to meeting there creators, it ended with everyone dead but two characters, one of whom was missing his body. It was defiantly a great film and I would thoroughly recommend it to any cinema goers. My favorite film of the year. Expand
  59. Oct 27, 2012
    There are a couple of reviews underneath that give this film a score of zero?They must have watched a diffrent film to me.If you want an excellant action/suspense film that with another 2 more films(IMO)that will tie it up nicley too the original Alien film if the sequals live up to this installment then you can't go wrong with this intelligent Sc-fi blockbuster!
  60. Jun 8, 2012
    Never mind a few plot holes in this beautifully-crafted film, Prometheus is essentially Ridley Scott's grand comeback to the movie world after a string of unsuccessful flicks. From its stunningly breath-taking scenes from an alien planet to the steely hollowness of the android, David 8, played fantastically by Michael Fassbender, this movie definitely holds a place in the sci-fi universe.
  61. Jun 8, 2012
    There's something of 'Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull' about Prometheus. It introduces supernatural elements where none were, perhaps, asked for. If the other Alien films (the quadrilogy anyway) never aspired to just be a B-Movie, Prometheus appears to be content, for much of the film, to have the feel of a Lucas/Speilberg Saturday morning kid's TV show. There is too much knowingThere's something of 'Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull' about Prometheus. It introduces supernatural elements where none were, perhaps, asked for. If the other Alien films (the quadrilogy anyway) never aspired to just be a B-Movie, Prometheus appears to be content, for much of the film, to have the feel of a Lucas/Speilberg Saturday morning kid's TV show. There is too much knowing comedy of the 'If I do this, I hope that something bad doesn't happen- ok, I'll do it anyway' kind. Alien was set on a spaceship but it could have been any type of haunted house (albeit a quasi-industrial one) filled with foreboding and dread. Prometheus doesn't have this sense- it seems to set out to ask more profound questions than it does to profoundly scare. I doubt that it could have scared quite as much as the bizarre hybrids of the flawed (in terms of Ripley's character) but underrated Alien Resurrection anyway.
    In a way it satisfyingly, and orderly, displays the creation of the (presumably) first Alien (even though Ridley Scott has apparently said that this is not an Alien prequel despite appearances to the contrary). But it does so around some very foolhardy people. Some of the final parts of the film trying to evade being crushed (twice) by a spaceship owe more to the likes of Independence Day than the quiet realism of the original Alien film and there is a patronising comment about humans being superior to robots, which in the events of this film( but not Alien) is not the case.
  62. Jun 9, 2012
    It was a good movie. Definitely recommend. Really engaging story with decent suspense and effects. The movie is set in the Alien universe and explores some of its backstory. It is gritty, dark, and mildly violent with good si-fi horror/thriller moments. I give it a 7 because it is somewhat hard to follow since the background story and everything revolving around it is very intricate andIt was a good movie. Definitely recommend. Really engaging story with decent suspense and effects. The movie is set in the Alien universe and explores some of its backstory. It is gritty, dark, and mildly violent with good si-fi horror/thriller moments. I give it a 7 because it is somewhat hard to follow since the background story and everything revolving around it is very intricate and events and aspects of the movie are not totally explained. I ended up reading more about the Alien universe and fans' take on the movie and its connects afterwards which really helped me understand it more. I think a great movie wouldn't require that effort. Regardless I liked the story and mythos around the whole thing and still recommend highly. Expand
  63. Jun 8, 2012
    I'm not sure what people were expecting from Prometheus. I've read reviews that asked for more gore much like Aliens, Ridley's 2nd film in the Alien franchise, more character development with a tip of the hat to Blade Runner, and more answers. ***SPOILER ALERT*** You are left with more questions by the time the movie ends. Ok so I haven't actually "SPOILED" anything but the internet isI'm not sure what people were expecting from Prometheus. I've read reviews that asked for more gore much like Aliens, Ridley's 2nd film in the Alien franchise, more character development with a tip of the hat to Blade Runner, and more answers. ***SPOILER ALERT*** You are left with more questions by the time the movie ends. Ok so I haven't actually "SPOILED" anything but the internet is buzzing with expectations of clarity by the time the credits roll. There are a few things you need to understand before watching this film. It takes place on an entirely different planet. So, the "Space Jockey" from the original film is not in this movie. Prometheus takes place on a desolate yet stunningly beautiful LV-227 while the original is on drab and scary LV-426. It's a simple mistake to not realize this unless you've done your homework. The crew that everyone is so upset with have been in hypersleep (or whatever the term is) for 2 years. None of them are familiar with each other unless there was a relationship established before the mission. Also, the events that unfold during the movie take about one week; from Christmas to New Years Day. This is hardly any time to actually develop a character, but the ones that Ridley Scott have provided are brilliant, albeit stereotypical of their own roles.

The mission of the Prometheus is unknown to the crew until they are awakened. Their mission is basically to explore an â
  64. Jun 9, 2012
    Ridley Scott makes a return to the Sci-Fi genre, but is it as triumphal as many would expect? Not quite. On one hand, there are outstanding visuals and quite tense atmosphere. The sight of Prometheus, the planet and the alien ship are breathtaking, and you'll probably get goosebumps in certain moments. Those are the moments where you can actually see the director of Alien. On the otherRidley Scott makes a return to the Sci-Fi genre, but is it as triumphal as many would expect? Not quite. On one hand, there are outstanding visuals and quite tense atmosphere. The sight of Prometheus, the planet and the alien ship are breathtaking, and you'll probably get goosebumps in certain moments. Those are the moments where you can actually see the director of Alien. On the other hand though, there is a whole lot of plotholes, unanswered questions and frustratingly stupid characters. Some of those questions might be just a set-off point for the sequel, but a movie's got to have a finished story to be fully enjoyable. However, I must say that most of the plotholes didn't spoil my impression of the movie, I started thinking of them a bit after I got out of the cinema. All in all, it is a cool sci-fi thriller with immersive 3D, but don't expect it to become a cult classic like Alien. Expand
  65. Jun 8, 2012
    Alright let's just get this out of the way....NO this movie will not live up to the crazy hype to be on par with the original Alien films. However, what Prometheus manages to be is a beautifully shot, disturbing, scary, interesting new chapter of the world in which the Alien series takes place. Are there plot holes? YES....do they completely ruin the movie like many critics are claiming?Alright let's just get this out of the way....NO this movie will not live up to the crazy hype to be on par with the original Alien films. However, what Prometheus manages to be is a beautifully shot, disturbing, scary, interesting new chapter of the world in which the Alien series takes place. Are there plot holes? YES....do they completely ruin the movie like many critics are claiming? NO. While there is not as much silent tension we all have come to know and love from the original films, Scott still makes this planet and the unknown dangers of it come across as disturbingly terrifying. The cinematography and score are gorgeous and the CG is tastefully used. Everyone complaining about the continuity of the ending needs to read a little more into the facts of this movie.....not the same planet people!!! Overall Prometheus is not as amazing as I had hoped, but honestly nothing will reclaim the gold of the originals. But, the film is in no way a bad movie. Definitely still one of my favorites in a long time and I enjoyed every moment, plot holes aside it's an awesome time. SEE PROMETHEUS!!!!!! Expand
  66. Aug 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The dialogue doesn't seem to come from an organic place. It's the subtlest breaking of the fourth wall. The non-sequitir, delivered by the father, who in that instant, perhaps, temporally serves in the capacity of a ventriloquist's dummy playing, for dialectical purposes, the devil's advocate, could be the linchpin of understanding the abounding vagaries in Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life, the 2011 award-winning film that, as a result, was misinterpreted by literal-minded moviegoers who wanted the film to align perfectly with other Christian-minded ilk, most of which account for, without any provocation from an ancillary voice abetting a polar ideology, the existence of God. In a diner, the filmmaker interjects on the father's behalf(Mr. O'Brien has the filmic spirit), when after having just harassed the waitress about her slow service, he asks his boys: "Subjective point-of-view, you know the difference?" It's a rhetorical question, of course. Jack, in particular, knows better not to speak while his father is pontificating. "Subjective," the failed musician explains, "means it comes from your mind. It can't be proven." It's Malick himself, not Jack's dad, who pontificates against the film's seemingly didactic perspective that God created the universe. Consider the signs and syntax. Rendered in Kubrick's film language, with a start, we realize how the whispered petitioning of the mother and her eldest son to God could, in fact, be in complete discordance with the cosmic imagery. Are they speaking to the void? After all, 2001: A Space Odyssey, advocated science. Unmistakably atheist, the "Dawn of Man" sequence featured monkeys, our progenitors, as an afirmation of evolution, a theory first put forward by Charles Darwin. The absence of monkeys from the timeline in The Tree of Life would seem to be promoting a creationist take on man's origins, especially if you factor in the illustrated monkeys from the storybook(read: evolution is made-up) that the mother delivers to her three malleable sons. And yet, the 1968 sci-fi classic gets slyly evoked in the violent actions of a boy, the neighborhood gang's ringleader, who like the monkey that employs an antelope bone in order to smash things, also refashions a found object as a weapon, some piece of wood, which he brings down repeatedly on a garbage can. Science fiction(which, here, would later become science fact) is addressed more directly in the next scene, when Jack, galvanized by the potential for space exploration through the covert reading at night of a Jack Coogan and Fletcher Pratt book, helps launch a frog into the air via rocket, killing this proto-astronaut, and God, in the process. Although By Spaceship to the Moon precludes alien life forms, speculative fiction, as a general rule, is thematically secular, which begs the question: Is there a God in The Tree of Life? For sure, his holiness, has no hand in The Exploding Chest of Life(aka Alien). "Oh, God!" cries Lambert, the bloodied chief navigator of the Nostromo, as the xenomorph comes bursting through Kane's pulmonary cavity. Even if her lament was more than the mere cursing of an atheist, like Jack's mother, whose similarly phrased entreaty concerning her dead son goes unanswered, Lambert would come to realize that nobody can hear you scream. Heaven isn't listening. Vasquez(from Aliens), presumably, a Christian, because of the cross she wears around her neck, can afford to be religious, since the butchy-looking soldier's compeers are mercenaries like herself, not scientists. The private dies in a self-triggered air shaft blast, alongside Lt. Golman, no doubt comforted by the reassuring concept of ascension. As it turns out, in Prometheus, the sideways sequel to the original, we learn that the fighting between man and alien throughout the series is a sort of civil war. Vasquez's faith never gets tested. The soldier never learns that she had a hand in gunning down her maker's children, the mutated ancestors of mankind. In Prometheus, despite the fact that a startling series of events conclusively proves both the theologians and the evolutionists wrong, Elizabeth retrieves her cross from David, even though the relic lost its original meaning. She tells the android, "It's what I choose to believe," subjectivist words that sound naive, since the diegetic world of Prometheus lacks the fluidity innate in The Tree of Life filmscape, where God and science duke it out for adherents. Science, arguably, wins in the final sequence. Jack, by all appearances, works in a building more exciting than the one in Being John Malkovich. Instead of finding a portal that leads to the seat of the famous actor's consciousness, Jack, while riding the elevator, gets sucked into a wormhole, where he is reunited with his family, tricked out as their younger selves. Only as a young woman, can the mother let go of her maternal pain. Like Elizabeth, she invents a heaven. Expand
  67. Oct 13, 2012
    A prequel to The Alien movie. But I'd never recommend anyone see this one first. It would completely ruin the surprise of seeing the little rubber muppet bursting out of Quinten Crisp's tee shirt.
  68. Jun 10, 2012
    If you are a fan of Sci-Fi genre you will probably enjoy this movie than other more casual film goers. Visually some scenes were breathtaking whether or not you see it in 3D the movies really pops. The acting was fine overall, but the story was convoluted and underwhelming. Way too many slightly interesting characters and almost no time spent on any of them. Overall the biggest problemIf you are a fan of Sci-Fi genre you will probably enjoy this movie than other more casual film goers. Visually some scenes were breathtaking whether or not you see it in 3D the movies really pops. The acting was fine overall, but the story was convoluted and underwhelming. Way too many slightly interesting characters and almost no time spent on any of them. Overall the biggest problem with the movie was we really don't get a good grasp what is or was the bad guy or what the point of anything is during the whole film. They casually throw a couple of twists here and there and it all falls a little flat. However, if you were able to disregard a bunch of muck including poorly written lines and some incredibly stupid and unrealistic actions taken by the side characters and just followed the protagonist grueling battle to stay alive it's overall a fairly good albeit confusing movie experience. Expand
  69. Jun 21, 2012
    Prometheus is a really hard movie to fully give a score to. If you are an Alien lover, like myself, then the movie will be great and you will understand the story better, even though in all the story is not its strongest point. If you have not seen an Alien movie, then this will not make any sense at all. This is barley even a horror movie at really, though it is a very good suspensefulPrometheus is a really hard movie to fully give a score to. If you are an Alien lover, like myself, then the movie will be great and you will understand the story better, even though in all the story is not its strongest point. If you have not seen an Alien movie, then this will not make any sense at all. This is barley even a horror movie at really, though it is a very good suspenseful movie. The horror just isn't there, and the charm of the classic and masterful Alien is no where to be seen. At its highest points, you can really feel for a character and the plight of the ship itself, but most of the characters in general give barely any good reason to care for them. David is by far the best of them, making you feel like you know him then suddenly he changes and will keep you guessing. In the visuals department, this is a fantastic looking movie, with even the barren wasteland of the planet they are on seem interesting at every angle. Beyond that though, this movie is just not up being called an "alien prequel" because the mention of anything Xenomorph at all is scarce. Am i excited to see where this will go? Yes. But is this on par with one of the greatest horror classics? Not in the slightest. Expand
  70. Jun 10, 2012
    I waited a bit for the hype to die down but also had some preconceptions going into it that it would "not be very good after all" thanks to people thinking it acceptable to flood social media with spoilers, I also know this was part 1 of probably 3 films which all helped to raise my satisfaction with film.

Had I seen it on opening night with the idea it was the greatest film in 30 years (as I was starting to believe based on the trailers) then I too would have been gutted by so many questions being raised rather than answered.
  71. Jul 18, 2012
    Name a better 'people travel out to space and discover aliens' movie than this one since the alien trilogy. Okay, it's not too related to aliens, but so what? that wasn't the point. This is a great sci fi movie alltogether. Performances were spot-on, spec eff great, and there was just enough meaning to give me the goose bumps. Contemplating the origin of man is always great, except that weName a better 'people travel out to space and discover aliens' movie than this one since the alien trilogy. Okay, it's not too related to aliens, but so what? that wasn't the point. This is a great sci fi movie alltogether. Performances were spot-on, spec eff great, and there was just enough meaning to give me the goose bumps. Contemplating the origin of man is always great, except that we all kinda suck. Well, maybe we'll see the light in "Prometheus 2: People Suck". Expand
  72. Jan 31, 2013
    I'm just going to come out and say it, the main reason I watched this movie is because I heard rumors that it was a prequel to the Alien movies. That being said I was impressed to find out that it no only manages to be a kind of sort of prequel, but also it's own unique movie with it's own themes and setting. It ties in well with the universe Ridley Scott established with his movie Alien.I'm just going to come out and say it, the main reason I watched this movie is because I heard rumors that it was a prequel to the Alien movies. That being said I was impressed to find out that it no only manages to be a kind of sort of prequel, but also it's own unique movie with it's own themes and setting. It ties in well with the universe Ridley Scott established with his movie Alien. It's good and if your a fan of sci-fi movies you should really check this one out. I would love to see a sequel to Prometheus that expands upon what this movies plot. I also have to say that the scene that ties this movie into the Alien series is a great way to not only Ridley Scott to say thanks and pay fan service to the Alien series followers, but to also a great way to tie both movies into the same universe. Expand
  73. Jun 9, 2012
    I did not watch many of Scott's movies (I watched Alien long time ago and kinda forgot about it) so I was not expecting anything to be repeated nor any hints and nods to director's previous work. I saw trailers and Theron speaking briefly about the movie on TV and decided it must be fun sci-fi blockbuster to watch so I went to cinema and watched it. I liked many things - performances wereI did not watch many of Scott's movies (I watched Alien long time ago and kinda forgot about it) so I was not expecting anything to be repeated nor any hints and nods to director's previous work. I saw trailers and Theron speaking briefly about the movie on TV and decided it must be fun sci-fi blockbuster to watch so I went to cinema and watched it. I liked many things - performances were mostly great, beautiful cinematography and design, but I left the cinema puzzled. In most cases being puzzled after watching a film is indicative that the movie raised great questions and the film itself was really good, but in this case I just felt it was lazy story writing/telling. Death and dealing with death/mortality is one of the biggest subjects, but really everything said sounded heard before and half-baked. Religion is the other subject - with nothing worth remembering from what is said about it in the movie (cross gets a prominent screen time; faith/do you have faith/do you believe mentions as well; references to relationship to the god/creator are everywhere). Creation vs. destruction, new vs. old, father vs. son, creator/creation, losing parents/killing parents, androids yearning to have a soul -- all these topics seem to be raised just for the sake of raising them (sounds deep) and none of them are dealt with in an interesting way.
    Having in mind the amount of hype that preceded the film it seems to me that much of the actual story was left for the sequel and this summer viewers had to get to know the context, freshen up on the Alien references and get used to Scott's visuals.
    It's a shame because overall the story has had great potentials, actors were great, visual effects and cinematography were stunning.
  74. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went into this movie without expecting much but I was truly surprised by how entertaining it was. Personally, I thought it was alright when nothing bad was happening but when everything started to go wrong and people started dying, it started to get entertaining! When they finally met one of the "Engineers", that scene was unexpected. Michael Fassbender was brilliant as David and the final chest-burster scene was a great start off to the Alien franchise. Go watch Prometheus if you know what's good for you! Expand
  75. Aug 6, 2012
    First of all, the movie is not scary but mandatory to see in cinema. It is hard to say what it wants to be. I appreciate that it takes itself seriosly for a picture. Right after I finished watching, I was satisfied that it began and ended in a simple way, not like any of the silly action flicks nowadays where you don`t even know what is going on. There is a start and an end to this story.First of all, the movie is not scary but mandatory to see in cinema. It is hard to say what it wants to be. I appreciate that it takes itself seriosly for a picture. Right after I finished watching, I was satisfied that it began and ended in a simple way, not like any of the silly action flicks nowadays where you don`t even know what is going on. There is a start and an end to this story. I also liked the fact that the story is 1st here, characters are close 2nd. It is mandatory to mention than without Michael Fassbender`s and Charlize Theron`s exceptional performance, this movie would have ended a six out of ten. Also, for a fan of the Alien movies, this one is not in any way a pastiche nore does it interfere which the series. On the contrary - Prometheus answers some of the questions from the original Alien and mentions it in a subtle way. The story gives a pleasant feeling although one feels that answering few of the questions set over 30 years ago is the single and only purpose for this movie`s creation. I find the monsters well, silly. The action scenes are mediocre with the exception of the last one where the Prometheus takes off for the last time. Even though the suspense is probably the only thing of a thriller here, in my opinion it placed 3rd right after Aliens and Alien, because it is much better than Alien 3 and 4. It is memorable but not as nearly as the first two parts it prequels. Expand
  76. Jul 2, 2012
    This is a symbolist movie of Manichaean horror in outer space. It is about finally facing off with a corrupt Demiurge that created mankind in a corrupt state using stolen tools, stolen fire--yet still the spark of the divine resides within us (Shaw will soon discover this). This is the kind of film where you take away from it exactly what you bring to it. A complete understanding requiresThis is a symbolist movie of Manichaean horror in outer space. It is about finally facing off with a corrupt Demiurge that created mankind in a corrupt state using stolen tools, stolen fire--yet still the spark of the divine resides within us (Shaw will soon discover this). This is the kind of film where you take away from it exactly what you bring to it. A complete understanding requires some particular mythological knowledge, that of ancient Babylon, Zoroastrianism, and the Persian flavor of Gnostic Christianity called Manichaeism that was popular at the height of Rome. If you have read in these subjects, the meaning of the film is illuminated plainly. Prometheus is brilliant, unexpected, and nearly perfect in every aspect save one: accessibility. This film is a nut to crack. It is not Transformers or Battleship. It is art. And it is amazing. Expand
  77. Jun 17, 2012
    Firstly don't go to see this expecting Cameron's "Aliens" as this is quite slow paced for the vast majority of the movie, go in expecting a bit suspense and your likely to enjoy this. So what's the movie like? well I does flesh out the series origin fairly well although there are quite a few missed opportunities in the way it ends... unless they plan on a sequel it leaves far too manyFirstly don't go to see this expecting Cameron's "Aliens" as this is quite slow paced for the vast majority of the movie, go in expecting a bit suspense and your likely to enjoy this. So what's the movie like? well I does flesh out the series origin fairly well although there are quite a few missed opportunities in the way it ends... unless they plan on a sequel it leaves far too many problems unanswered. I actually burst out laughing in a few places as dialogue was stolen from other movies. Expand
  78. Jun 19, 2012
    I went to this movie without too much knowledge retained of the Alien series. I had seen the Alien movies years ago; however, I am not a die-hard fan, so this review is based solely on the merits of this film in and of itself. I found the story to be compelling and exciting. I was very glad to see Sean Harris, whose understated work I greatly admire on "The Borgias". I found myself drawnI went to this movie without too much knowledge retained of the Alien series. I had seen the Alien movies years ago; however, I am not a die-hard fan, so this review is based solely on the merits of this film in and of itself. I found the story to be compelling and exciting. I was very glad to see Sean Harris, whose understated work I greatly admire on "The Borgias". I found myself drawn into this story even though I went expecting not to like it. Worth seeing in theatres. Expand
  79. Jun 9, 2012
    Prometheus dared to go where many sci-fi movies dare not tread, a good plot. While this isn't the most astounding or amazing concoction that sci-fi has to offer, it is visually arresting and (moderately) satisfying. Prometheus had a lot to live up to as it is a spiritual prequel of sorts to Ridley Scott's first jab at the horror, Alien. To be fair Prometheus does a good job at keeping thePrometheus dared to go where many sci-fi movies dare not tread, a good plot. While this isn't the most astounding or amazing concoction that sci-fi has to offer, it is visually arresting and (moderately) satisfying. Prometheus had a lot to live up to as it is a spiritual prequel of sorts to Ridley Scott's first jab at the horror, Alien. To be fair Prometheus does a good job at keeping the horror vibe strong, that is until the action packed end. Prometheus does well enough as a stand alone film in the alien series, but there is a certain charm missing this time around. Prometheus does a lot of things right though, It answers some long time questions about certain elements in the Alien series and even throws it's own mysteries out there as well. Prometheus is also a looker, there are beautiful moments of the environment and even the technology, as well as some of the slimy creatures that would give Avatar a run for its money. This all tied together by solid performances by the lead cast members. But the film is not perfect unfortunately. Prometheus is not a horror movie, it's more of a sci-fi thriller than solid horror, this is especially apparent during the last thirty minutes. This isn't to say the film isn't without its surprise horror/ gross out scenes like that of the chestburster The movie also bites off more plot than it can chew, resulting in a half-way decent story that may leave some scratching their heads. regardless of the movies shortcomings, it is still worth it to give it a watch, the film does not answer every question it puts on the table, it answers most of them. Expand
  80. Jun 9, 2012
    Go and see it, with moderate expectations, and you'll enjoy it. You can then make your own mind up about its class. I'd like to see it for a second time, to enjoy the visuals again (for which it earns my '7') and to check to see whether the plot holes were as big as I remember! ("Plot holes" implies that there was a plot in the first place, of course!) It's difficult to believe that aGo and see it, with moderate expectations, and you'll enjoy it. You can then make your own mind up about its class. I'd like to see it for a second time, to enjoy the visuals again (for which it earns my '7') and to check to see whether the plot holes were as big as I remember! ("Plot holes" implies that there was a plot in the first place, of course!) It's difficult to believe that a director of Scott's capabilities could possibly have put together such a vacuous story. I can only assume that the ageing Ridley is fretting about What Lies Beyond and is either wholly cynical about mankind, or melancholic at the thought that man's quest for purpose and meaning in life is as fruitless as Shaw's quest for the aliens depicted in ancient man's primitive paintings. Or both. Of course, he could just have been fretting that he failed to make Alien anything more than a 'boo' movie so decided to invest Prometheus with the significance that critics claim was missing from his 1979 masterpiece. I've not read any critic who has actually explored the significance of David's modelling of himself on TE Lawrence. Is it to show that David has chosen a deeply flawed model, and thereby given himself a Sisyphean task? He'll never be a warm human while he chooses to emulate one of life's most famous Outsiders. Expand
  81. Jun 10, 2012
    There are a few haters out there. and i can't understand why?! Besides the reason of "It didn't have many references to Alien or it wasn't as good as Alien." Prometheus was a excellent film and although it is a prequel to Alien (Somewhat) its a damn good stand alone movie. Did it have a few flaws umm maybe one or 2. but as a package the movie was fantastic. The acting was decent, noomiThere are a few haters out there. and i can't understand why?! Besides the reason of "It didn't have many references to Alien or it wasn't as good as Alien." Prometheus was a excellent film and although it is a prequel to Alien (Somewhat) its a damn good stand alone movie. Did it have a few flaws umm maybe one or 2. but as a package the movie was fantastic. The acting was decent, noomi rapace was pretty good, charlize therone was decent being a **** again (Snow White). Idris elba was the ships captain again decent acting nothing major. As For everybody else i felt they were fillers their acting was decent and for small roles you didn't need much acting. The standout actor in this movie is Michael Fassbender he steals the show! his acting was superb and his character was definitely the most interesting. while watching this movie i honestly didn't care much about the other characters than i did about David (fassbenders character). And while fassbender really wasn't a "Main" character he was a supporting character who actually turns out to be a main one he definitely has a huge role and is one of the main reasons for watching this movie. The story is simple 2 archeologists along with the prometheus crew go to another planet in search for their creators (human like aliens) and they do find them! and **** hits the fan (people start dying etc. etc.) definitely a good movie i don't wanna spoil anything but it is a good time, it is a great movie, it looks fantastic beautiful movie, i really have nothing bad to say about this movie GO WATCH IT! Expand
  82. Jun 14, 2012
    I saw Prometheus last week and it was pretty good. When Mr. Ridley Scott came back after hiding away for a little while, he wanted a film that is not an "Alien" prequel and discover the secrets beyond a mysterious vessel unlike any other. The film was incredible and Noomi Rapace (her hair looked the same as Ripley in the original Alien) was incredible. I also praised Michael Fassbender'sI saw Prometheus last week and it was pretty good. When Mr. Ridley Scott came back after hiding away for a little while, he wanted a film that is not an "Alien" prequel and discover the secrets beyond a mysterious vessel unlike any other. The film was incredible and Noomi Rapace (her hair looked the same as Ripley in the original Alien) was incredible. I also praised Michael Fassbender's role as David because he's more like a arrogant and sometimes humble gentleman, but he's more of a robot-like clone from "I. Robot." But the height and sounds of the movie gives you enough adrenaline, your heart pumps, and your feet is shaking as you go into a terrifying and explorational feeling you might can expect from both James Cameron and Ridley Scott. I've heard Prometheus is gonna be out on Blu-Ray sometime in the fall of 2012, but I'll save my money. From now on, I have to see this again. Expand
  83. Jun 30, 2012
    A great film with lovely visuals, made all the better by cinematic 3D. The film does a wonderful job of explaining where the titular Aliens from the "Aliens" franchise came from without being too explicit. The computer generated imagery makes every scene awesome, terrifying, or disgusting in ways the old props never could. The one flaw (though after this many films I suppose you could callA great film with lovely visuals, made all the better by cinematic 3D. The film does a wonderful job of explaining where the titular Aliens from the "Aliens" franchise came from without being too explicit. The computer generated imagery makes every scene awesome, terrifying, or disgusting in ways the old props never could. The one flaw (though after this many films I suppose you could call it a theme) is that the Weyland-Yutani research team is (and must be) incredibly inept in order for the events of the plot to unfold. Expand
  84. Jun 15, 2012
    I thought this was a brilliant movie. Great acting, intriguing and original story line and stunning visuals. I'm quite surprised it's copped a lot of flack
  85. Jun 10, 2012
    Entertaining, with a plot that leaves a lot unanswered for, seemingly, a reason. The film sets itself up great as we slowly are absorbed into its world. As the film goes on, the mood changes and the final scenes had me on the edge of my seat. Sure, the plot is as full of holes as swiss cheese, and Ridley Scott seems to throw a new idea into the mix about ever other scene then completelyEntertaining, with a plot that leaves a lot unanswered for, seemingly, a reason. The film sets itself up great as we slowly are absorbed into its world. As the film goes on, the mood changes and the final scenes had me on the edge of my seat. Sure, the plot is as full of holes as swiss cheese, and Ridley Scott seems to throw a new idea into the mix about ever other scene then completely abandon it, but I can't help but feel that I have been incredibly engaged and immersed by this film. If you can get past its "hush-hush" attitude about 50% of the core plot material, you will definitely enjoy yourself. Expand
  86. Jun 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw Prometheus on opening day in IMAX. I really was drawn in at first but felt like there needed to be more, like an hour more of backstory. Like was this the Weyland from the Aliens movies? or is this his father? Many questions left unanswered except for one, we helped create the Alien. I like many other yearn for more. Do I smell a sequel? Expand
  87. Jun 14, 2012
    Just saw Prometheus in 3D and without doing a full-blown review which is my wont, I would say overall I give it a guarded B+. Loved the first half hour with all the nods to Stanley Kubrick's 'Space Odyssey', and the final half hour was really good bordering on great. Alas, the middle hour was kind of a mess. Also, I loved lead Nooma Rapace, but felt Oscar winner Charlize Theron was givenJust saw Prometheus in 3D and without doing a full-blown review which is my wont, I would say overall I give it a guarded B+. Loved the first half hour with all the nods to Stanley Kubrick's 'Space Odyssey', and the final half hour was really good bordering on great. Alas, the middle hour was kind of a mess. Also, I loved lead Nooma Rapace, but felt Oscar winner Charlize Theron was given short shrift. Anyway, it's my hope that the director's cut will restore a lot of footage and give the middle section a bit more coherence. Still in all I stayed glued to my seat the entire time, at the end I left the theater with mostly good feelings, and I definitely want to see the director's cut DVD when it comes out. Come to think of it, the 'Alien' does owe more than a passing nod to HP Lovecraft's Cthulu beast. ;o) Expand
  88. Jul 7, 2012
    Prometheus is a good film and a definate prequel that deserve to be in Ridley Scott's universe. Perhaps the best aspect of Pormetheus would have to be the special effects and art direction, it is very well made from the aliens to the landscapes explored, it is just marvelous. The acting is top-notch especially Michael Fassbender's android character and it easily and enjoyable (albeit atPrometheus is a good film and a definate prequel that deserve to be in Ridley Scott's universe. Perhaps the best aspect of Pormetheus would have to be the special effects and art direction, it is very well made from the aliens to the landscapes explored, it is just marvelous. The acting is top-notch especially Michael Fassbender's android character and it easily and enjoyable (albeit at times disgusting) movie. The movie isn't too much reliant on scares but that is alright because the movie is still gripping. The main problem I had with the movie was the fact that it raised several intriguing questions yet the movie never answers them and you are left trying to figure it all out without a good conclusion. But all in all, Prometheus was a good movie that was definately worth watching. Score: 7.0 out of 10. Expand
  89. Jun 9, 2012
    This a great film and a must see, the acting is top notch and the special effects are out of this world.
    Though it has confused me and left many unanswered questions in its rear view mirror.
    I think it would be better to have not seen Alien because this film will make less sense if you had. Don't to show spoilers so just don't go seeing this film and expecting for all the unanswered questions about the space jockey to be answered.
    It provides all the needed tension and all of the alien life (I do not mean the the alien from previous films) that a sci-fi film needs but it does not provide all the answers it should have.
    Though this does not mean you should not see it because this film is amazing just don't expect perfection. Anyway Michael Fassbender is reason enough to see this.
  90. Jun 10, 2012
    Prometheus is a true prequel to Alien but not of the same caliber. Great cinematography but as hyped as this movie was, it fell short because of a serious number of plot holes and things that were left unanswered. If your the type of person that is in it for the suspense and entertainment then you will be satisfied but if you find yourself asking questions your gonna find no answers.
  91. Jun 15, 2012
    I can tell that many will find this movie fascinating but others will find it boring and lackluster. For me Prometheus is in the Middle of all this. I was somewhat expecting the film to be a prequel to the "Alien" franchise but not to my disappointment it wasn't and I'll tell your right now the only thing the film has to do with Alien is the very last scene of the film which I will notI can tell that many will find this movie fascinating but others will find it boring and lackluster. For me Prometheus is in the Middle of all this. I was somewhat expecting the film to be a prequel to the "Alien" franchise but not to my disappointment it wasn't and I'll tell your right now the only thing the film has to do with Alien is the very last scene of the film which I will not discuss so I don't spoil it, but the last scene I believe was thrown in their to please fans or to stir up emotions for a sequel nothing more, nothing less. The film is very slow paced but fascinating and captivating at the same time, your looking forward to some action happening. The film does not have any immediate action sequences nor is a action/adventure or horror film. It is mostly scifi film about finding our creators and finding the meaning of our existence and I found it dry and lack luster but the after I left I couldn't help but think the message of the film is essential and it fascinated me. A great film for many but some may find it boring. Expand
  92. Jul 20, 2012
    Prometheus has two faces. On one hand, it offers stunning 3D visuals (quite a compliment from a person who hates 3D movies), great music, very good photography and locations, not to mention good performance of the top two actors (Fassbender and Theron). On the other hand, the return to Alien universe is marked by complicated plot with too many loose elements (even dull towards the end),Prometheus has two faces. On one hand, it offers stunning 3D visuals (quite a compliment from a person who hates 3D movies), great music, very good photography and locations, not to mention good performance of the top two actors (Fassbender and Theron). On the other hand, the return to Alien universe is marked by complicated plot with too many loose elements (even dull towards the end), treated in a hasty and pretentious, new-age-ish way, which is quite a shame for a picture with a tonn of small resemblances with the genre's classics (think of 2001: Space Odyssey, Blade Runner or, more recently, Mission to Mars etc.) and books (In the Mountain of Madness, some hints at King Lear's parental drama). It seems to me that after 30 years of absence from sci-fi universe Ridley Scott wanted to tell us everything, ending with telling us nothing in specific. 6/10 for the plot, boosted to 7/10 due to great technical elements. Expand
  93. JYT
    Jun 9, 2012
    Ridley Scott tried to push the limits from previous Sci-Fi/Horror done before and in all directions at the same time: more picturesques, going further with the creation of manking, the horror of the self-surgery, smotther special effects, etc... Charlize Theron plays very well also. Good to watch.
  94. Jul 22, 2013
    Me encantan las peliculas de ciencia ficcion, ahora se relaciona con los origenes de Alien, tiene buenos efectos especiales, reparto etc...

Que no tiene sentido la historia? pues por eso se llama ciencia ficcion, no se pongan tan payasos..
  95. Jun 9, 2012
    I'll start off by saying that this is unquestionably an Alien prequel, so those rumors are true. That's all I'll give away though. I will admit that I had unrealistic expectations going into this movie. Aliens 1 and 2 are two of my favorite movies of all time, so to say I was excited for this movie would be an understatement. Did it live up to my expectations? Not quite. However, II'll start off by saying that this is unquestionably an Alien prequel, so those rumors are true. That's all I'll give away though. I will admit that I had unrealistic expectations going into this movie. Aliens 1 and 2 are two of my favorite movies of all time, so to say I was excited for this movie would be an understatement. Did it live up to my expectations? Not quite. However, I really enjoyed this movie. The atmosphere is what makes this movie, and the cinematography and effects are truly incredible. The movie immediately thrusts you into this mysterious environment, on a planet far away from Earth. It sounds fairly cliche or standard for a sci-fi space movie, and that's because it kind of is. The story leaves a little to be desired, mainly because of some plot holes that the movie never wraps up. This does help the mystery of the movie, and even when it's over there are still plenty of unanswered questions. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there are sequels to this movie considering the cliffhanger ending. There WILL be a sequel. The bottom line is that Prometheus is an experience that is rare in cinema. It creates another world that is intoxicating and very interesting. While I was mildly dissapointed in this movie, I am still ecstatic for the sequel that is sure to come. Expand
  96. Aug 1, 2012
    This movie surprised me in its depth of character, acting, and effects. Rapace, Theoren, and Fassbender performed their roles to perfection. However, despite several choice scenes, there are long stretches of little action or suspense. The long running time also makes this movie less enjoyable than it would be if some of the repetitive scenes were trimmed into a shorter cut. ThatThis movie surprised me in its depth of character, acting, and effects. Rapace, Theoren, and Fassbender performed their roles to perfection. However, despite several choice scenes, there are long stretches of little action or suspense. The long running time also makes this movie less enjoyable than it would be if some of the repetitive scenes were trimmed into a shorter cut. That being said, it is still a fairly good film with many positives and serves as a good prequel to the Alien film series. Expand
  97. Nov 24, 2012
    It could have amounted to much more, but it delivered. It leaves you with the same questions you had going into the movie, so nothing really gets resolved. As a movie itself, it was interesting, scary at times, and quite exquisitely shot. The director seemed to accomplish the atmosphere he intended to have.
  98. Nov 11, 2012
    Why did I watch it?
    Being a big fan of the Alien franchise I was excited about seeing this film as soon as I heard it was being developed.
    What's it all about? Prometheus sees director Ridley Scott return to the universe of his sci-if phenomenon Alien in the form of a loose prequel. A team of scientists searching for the beginning of human life follow directions they believe are from
    Why did I watch it?

What's it all about?
    Prometheus sees director Ridley Scott return to the universe of his sci-if phenomenon Alien in the form of a loose prequel. A team of scientists searching for the beginning of human life follow directions they believe are from their creators and funded by the Weyland Corp. head to a far away unknown planet. Here they find clues not only to the origins of human life but the origins of a familiar foe.

Should you watch it?
    Prometheus is full of familiar characteristics from the Alien franchise, androids, stasis, mysterious eggs and corrosive blood. Although unoriginal, these facets are not unwelcome and made me feel right back at home within the Alien world.
    The script deals with questions of creationism and occasions is a little pretentious and self-serving but this sets it apart from being a straight-up sci-fi horror. Speaking of questions, the script also leaves plenty unanswered at the end, either intentionally (and hopefully) for a sequel or through failings in the writing. I expected no less with one of the brains behind Lost involved in the writing. The acting is great, Michael Fassbender gives a dead pan cold performance as he android David and others including Idris Elba, Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron deliver as well.

Didn't they learn anything from Alien?
    I have seen plenty of negative reviews for Prometheus and I disagree with the majority, although admittedly the unanswered questions are a bug I seem to bare more than others. I really enjoyed the film, lets just be happy we are seeing more of Ridley Scott's Alien mythology.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.